PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Repo Men movie

Bad Gamer
13th Dec 2010, 17:42
Forgive me if this topic has already been discussed, and if it has...could someone pass along the link to the thread, as I'm most definitely interested (I only did a quick search through the first 5 pages of the forum).

REPO MEN, the movie.

I'm a big Deus Ex fan, and know the story and have read "the bible" and while there is no direct link...the primary premise of the movie is, for those who haven't seen it:

- Jude Law works for company in a futuristic Toronto that can create artificial organs. The company is called "The Union".
- What happens is...these organs are so expensive that "customers" usually cannot pay for them and the company calls their 'repo men' to collect (enter Jude Law)
- Law has an accident where he needs to have a fake organ, but still collect from people, and starts having a change of heart (pun intended)

While Sarif is not exactly The Union as one seems to concentrate on internal and the other external modifications...it's an interesting take on something that seems to have a similar concept (futuristic society, augmentations, etc...).

I'm just curious as to what everyone's thoughts are and if anybody from Eidos has seen the movie and what there thoughts are/were in relation would be neat :)

SageSavage
13th Dec 2010, 17:55
The movie was a bit weak, IMO. Yes, the setting was good, and there were some good looking scenes but the pacing and atmosphere were off with those attempts at comedy a la Starship Troopers (including the jarring use of gory effects in combination with humour), the acting was mediocre (especially considering the actors), the plot has quite a number of holes and the whole thing bursts with shameless product placement. Ok to watch when it's on TV but I wouldn't specifically recommend it to anybody.

FallenGuard
13th Dec 2010, 18:00
Didn't like the movie very much either. The story was all over the place with some mediocre acting, imho.

However, if you like Movies that have a Deus Ex Vibe to it, check out "Gamer" and "Surrogates".

ZakKa89
13th Dec 2010, 18:17
I was wondering when somebody would make the reference. The movie's plot was ridiculous and the ending was stupid but I enjoyed the ride.

Some shots had a cyberpunk vibe so I was dissapointed they didn't gave the whole movie this feel.

TheMorten
13th Dec 2010, 18:54
Sounds like a sort of Hollywood-ysation ( ? ) of Repo: The Genetic Opera... Repo: TGO was by all means an experiment, albeit in interesting one at that. Re-imagining it like this seems completely devoid of respect for the brilliant idea that became the mediocre film Repo: The Genetic Opera.