PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy and Ethnicity

Summerrain
18th Aug 2012, 17:26
i mean most of the characters in the ff industry are...or seems to me.. caucasian based. am i wrong?? i mean we do get the occasional black guy but that's it. And when we do get the black guy there kind of stereo typed. but there are other races out there besides white and black it would be nice to see a ff game with a lead character whose Hispanic, or Caribbean, anything!!! don't get me wrong i have no problem with white people, maybe its because I'm so used to living in an area where the races varies from white to black to Indian to Hispanic to German Italian... yeah i live in a melting pot. lol please no hate replies you guys <3 and i dont mean to pick on this franchise the gaming industry for that matter needs more ethnicity.

member_10233984
18th Aug 2012, 18:03
Granted, the majority of the main characters seem to be based on a caucasian model, but skin color is not the only thing that separates the races in the franchise. Yuffie's home country is obviously based on Japan, Wakka has a very "Islander" feel to him, the old guy smoking the hookah in FFXII was influenced by middle eastern customs and such. I think the series does a great job addressing the topic.... take the racism toward the Al Bhed in FFX for example. FFXI and FFXIV allow you to pick not only any skin color, but from several different races. With the vast array of races in nearly every installment of the series, differences in color, mannerisms, and speech amongst the "human" characters seems like less of a necessity, I'm sure. :)

member_10628951
18th Aug 2012, 18:06
........ It's Final Fantasy. It's not real. They are in different universes. Earth doesn't exist in Final Fantasy. Why are people so concerned about stereotypes and sexual orientation in Final Fantasy? Does it serve the story or gameplay? No? Okay than why are we talking about this... again.

member_10628951
18th Aug 2012, 18:11
I am tired of all this political correctness trying to invade games and entertainment. If it doesn't serve the story or gameplay then there is no reason to whine and moan about it.

Tylorick
18th Aug 2012, 21:34
I am tired of all this political correctness trying to invade games and entertainment. If it doesn't serve the story or gameplay then there is no reason to whine and moan about it.

The only person I see whining here is you. OP started a topic of discussion. If you don't want to discuss the topic, avoid it. Simple, no?

As for the topic, what do you mean by 'ethnicity'? Black/White/Brown? From what I've seen, Square's favorite way of addressing that topic is not with skin color, but other defining factors (like species). This isn't 100% true, but to say there isn't diversity in the series would be blantantly false.

cky182dude
18th Aug 2012, 21:51
There's a lot of different races. Barrett was black. Sazh was black. Wakka was hawaiin or islander. Zidane was a monkey man. Lots of different races.

member_10074094
18th Aug 2012, 22:17
Well... we've had two austrailians :D

member_10822883
18th Aug 2012, 22:29
Honestly, Square has never been good at tackling diversity and when they do effectively do so they don't do it with race, presumably because like Psycho mentioned, it's not Earth. The various worlds of FF obviously have different societies which have their own kinds of prejudice and social climates. I understand where the OP is coming from; a more varied cast with different ethnical groups would be a lot more interesting. The problem is, every time Square has had a more "varied" cast, we get pandering and borderline offensive stereotypes of characters like Barret, Sazh, and Wakka.

Summerrain
19th Aug 2012, 01:59
okay i get what you guys are saying.. i guess i didnt look at it in that way, and i didnt give it much thought. i guess i was a little to caught up in the ''color'' of their skin.

member_10077577
19th Aug 2012, 10:16
Ethnicity really shouldn't make much of a difference for this. You can't go and call someone from Final Fantasy an African-American, because they're is no such thing as "Africa" or "America" in the world of Final Fantasy. Of course, skin tones can vary throughout the series, but that does not illuminate anything about ethnicity ofr race in this case.

CPancer
19th Aug 2012, 13:02
Well... we've had two austrailians :D

Yes, and one very annoying one too (Vanille, ofcourse).

Final Fantasy is an international gaming sensation, mostly everyone in the world...perhaps even third world countries are aware of the title. I don't want this to be taken the wrong way but I don't think the popularity of the game would be financially as successful if it used extremely diverse characters...there are a lot of people in the West who I will say...don't approve of seeing a lot of diversity. I hope people don't take what I'm saying in a negative way, but you can see that there is not a lot of diversity in MANY games out there, and if there is then there is bound to be a steretype (GTA: San Andreas....being an extremely big example of stereotyping).

I don't know what industry is far more racist though...the gaming industry or the fashion industry?

member_10822883
19th Aug 2012, 21:18
I don't know what industry is far more racist though...the gaming industry or the fashion industry?

Hard to say, as the fashion industry has been around for a much longer time, just as it plays by very different terms. As such, I'm not sure we have much base comparison, though it'd be interesting to see someone draw effective comparisons and discussions out of it. /discourseisfun

member_10027098
20th Aug 2012, 18:11
I think the earliest character in the series of different ethnicity (in appearance) was Minwu from Final Fantasy II. And a character I can think of that has a different skin tone but definitely possesses no stereotypes in appearance or manner is Reddas from Final Fantasy XII.

DerekMaverick
20th Aug 2012, 18:35
@LIKuidFox

Actually it is Leo. Supposedly he was designed with Dark Pigment and was given a sprite with light pigment. Minwu was still light pigmented but was wearing a mask.

@Jalian

Never thought of Vanille and Fang as Australian, more British.

And why would it matter if we had different pigmentation? I am kinda sick of seeing light pigmentation every game.

member_10074094
20th Aug 2012, 21:57

90% positive this is the fault of vanille's voice acting. Fang's is pretty obviously australian, while vanille switches between multiple accents throughout the game

CPancer
21st Aug 2012, 08:24

90% positive this is the fault of vanille's voice acting. Fang's is pretty obviously australian, while vanille switches between multiple accents throughout the game

Hmm, I haven't notice the changes of Vanille's accent, guess i'll have to listen more thoroughly....could you imagine if they had irish accents? I think i'd be laughing my butt off...considering everything that comes out of Vanille's mouth is all gushy and cheesy...such a valley girl that Vanille is!

member_10027098
21st Aug 2012, 13:41
@LIKuidFox

Actually it is Leo. Supposedly he was designed with Dark Pigment and was given a sprite with light pigment. Minwu was still light pigmented but was wearing a mask.

Allow me to clarify: I wasn't necessarily referring to his skin tone, but his ethnicity, which is much more than skin color. If you look at what Minwu is wearing (which is what I meant by "in appearance"), it's clearly distinguishable among all other characters in Final Fantasy II. We know he is from Mysidia, and it appears the people from here have an ideology that renders their culture different from others in the world. Perhaps it's too much insight, but based on Yo****aka Amano's art, Minwu stands out.

DerekMaverick
21st Aug 2012, 13:41
Yeah but she was always kind of adorable whenever she spoke. Even when she was angry. But yeah now that I have listend to an australian talk she does sound australian.

member_10027098
21st Aug 2012, 13:52

Vanille is voiced by Georgia Van Cuylenburg, who was born and raised in Australia. She lived there for several years before moving to the US, but that's how she normally speaks.

kcastro41269
23rd Aug 2012, 09:46

Hmm, I haven't notice the changes of Vanille's accent, guess i'll have to listen more thoroughly....could you imagine if they had irish accents? I think i'd be laughing my butt off...considering everything that comes out of Vanille's mouth is all gushy and cheesy...such a valley girl that Vanille is!

Took me awhile to realize that Vanille had an accent lol.

zonegamer
18th Feb 2014, 01:34
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-HAEgBe85MmI/Uv9V8ynEzuI/AAAAAAAABZE/jGReJQlIfsY/s1600/black+final+fantasy+characters+hd.jpg

There has been many black characters throughout Final Fantasy's history but you could only count them on one hand at this point. Aside from Barett Wallace and more recently Sazh Katzroy there's other black characters who have been given roles in their respective series be it minor, supportive or next to nonexistent. Since Final Fantasy VII diversity has gradually crept through the cracks and introduced darker palettes. So let's take a look back at the black characters throughout Final Fantasy's history.

(On a personal note I'm really hoping that more black main characters appear in future Final Fantasy titles including Final Fantasy XV but not holding out. Anyway enjoy.)

Black Final Fantasy Characters:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw7Dh-NH-FQ

EternalAmbiguity
20th Feb 2014, 05:02
Well this is nice and interesting.

Square is Japanese. To be quite frank, black people aren't particularly popular over there, to put it nicely. So that there are any black people at all--and that their portrayal has improved from the obviously racist "rage-filled gorilla" that was Barrett, to the kind fatherly character of Sazh--is good news.

Shepard30
11th Mar 2014, 00:10
Yeah hopefully well see more black Final Fantasy characters especially in XV (although I doubt it for XV at least). Sazh was my favorite character in XIII though I always felt like his story was the most tragic out of all of them.

garyfrclev
18th Mar 2014, 21:37
really leave it to someone to make a awesome game about race its a Japanese game we are lucky enough to have American looking characters at all

Shepard30
24th Mar 2014, 15:06
Hmmm technically any character would look American even if they looked Japanese. Considering Muricans don't have a particular look.

Kadachi
24th Mar 2014, 21:31
I disagree, I feel like americans have a very distinct look especially when in game. Japanese in game characters I feel like tend to be more traditionalized in features. Like their clothing or hair styles, where as americans in game are more "rough" looking or have baggier looking clothes.

Puppetshow
15th Apr 2014, 16:58
Al Bhed are a little bit Irish in influence.
The idea for 'green eyes' and a separate language, plus their identities as those who tinker with machines. In game the Al Bhed language itself is pronounced more like welsh.

The closest tilt I've seen to Irish were the Rat dudes from FFIX.

Significant similarities:
The Ritual dance in Cleyra is a direct copy of Irish dancing (set dancing)
The harp is a national symbol of Ireland and one of it's most important traditional Instruments
In Burmecia is never stop raining

Lesser/social similarities:
The first time Zidane meets Freya in game, is at a working-class bar.
The little adventure prince Puck gets up to with Vivi at the beginning (stealing a ladder, getting in to a show for free) is very typical of a cheeky young trouble maker. The section actually reminded me of own childhood, the sort of things you'd get up too, (except I was raised in the country, so it was stuff like climbing trees and taking apples from orchards).

Finally, (and I say this with a little caution) During the events of FF9 the Burmecians are attacked and all but wiped out by a neighboring civilization. Although this may just be a coincidence with the general story-line and not an intentional reference to Irish History!

Starlight6x6
4th May 2014, 04:59
Honestly, considering Final Fantasies' taking place in entirely fictional settings, I think ethnicity and skin color and such are essentially just another element of a character's visual design in this context. I mean, going back to Final Fantasy II, Minwu actually was of a darker pallor based on his Amano artwork. General Leo Cristophe from VI was black before VII's Barrett was, although in Leo's case the SNES's palette limitations kept it from being very visible in-game until later releases. (GBA version displays his portrait in the dialogue box when he speaks, iOS version updates the colors of his overworld and battle graphics to match his portrait/official art)
My opinion on the matter is just that the character designers should probably be open to varying characters' ethnic features more in the future. They can still have crazy hairstyles and colors and incomprehensible complex outfits and all that, but I think it would also help a lot with making the characters in the series look more immediately-distinct from one another. And since it's been an argument in the past, I'd just like to say that basing how much you can relate to a character off of their looks rather than their personality and story is kinda shallow and sad.

ChristopherBrown
16th Sep 2016, 09:36
This is nice and interesting, it also took me awhile to realize that Vanille had an accent :) Struggling with the answer to your question? refer to this link (http://bigpaperwriter.com/blog/race-and-ethnicity-essay) in order to understand more about race and ethnicity issues.

Fiona223
19th Oct 2016, 02:11
I agree. I am going to make a thread inspired by this to get the word out.