PDA

View Full Version : Reinventing Lara Croft

chriss_99
9th Dec 2010, 21:42
On Game Informer website you can find quite comprehensive article about Lara's new image. It's a really interesting read.
What's more you can see the whole model!

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2010/12/09/a-survivor-is-born_3a00_-the-new-lara-croft.aspx?PostPageIndex=1

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/7569/larafull2.jpg

kalle90
9th Dec 2010, 21:56
It's nice they atleast considered making her cripple

kauri
9th Dec 2010, 21:58
And now our Lara has more meat on her butt, so qute)))

Pulse
9th Dec 2010, 22:41
She looks badass.

Awesome :cool:

I wonder who the new actress is. It was said they did motion capturing and searched for an actress with the right body and what not, so I feel like they'll go the Uncharted/Modern way (where the VA's are also the ones who do the mo-cap at the same time) and not just have Keeley do a voice over.

dark7angel
10th Dec 2010, 19:19
She looks so awesome!!! Beautiful!

Ants_27_
10th Dec 2010, 20:20
Not necessarily.
Dark7angel will probably point that I'm obsessed but:

In Resident Evil 5, the bloke that voiced Chris didn't do the motion capture, same for Wekser, different voice than the body.

Same with Heavy Rain, the woman who did the motion capture and the facial capture was different to the woman who provided the voice (and I think Heavy Rain is the biggest motion capture project, I believe, please correct me if I'm wrong).
http://www.videogamesblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/madison-paige-heavy-rain-wallpaper-1.jpg

So they don't need to have the same actor and actress though, I think your okay Keeley has done theater work before so therefore she already has experience in that department.;)

chriss_99
10th Dec 2010, 20:29
If CD made such huge changes with Lara Croft I doubt they'll keep Keeley as a voice actress. Especially, if Lara is supposed to be 21.
Keeley did a great job doing voice acting throughout these years. In my opinion, she became a part of Lara's image.

Darth Ryu
10th Dec 2010, 21:11
I just adore this Lara seriously, in this image you can se her mad. :P

Best Lara model ever IMO, so hot and badass at the same time.

Ants_27_
10th Dec 2010, 21:21
If CD made such huge changes with Lara Croft I doubt they'll keep Keeley as a voice actress. Especially, if Lara is supposed to be 21.
Keeley did a great job doing voice acting throughout these years. In my opinion, she became a part of Lara's image.

Well it doesn't really matter I suppose if she's not back cause I always thought her performance in TV and the odd films she's been in are better than TR... though that's not Keeley that's the character.

But it annoys me when characters voices are changed, stops me from believing for a second they are real, thus being dragged into the game from a story idea. Sounds weird I know.:lol:

hiMe
10th Dec 2010, 21:40
FINALLY! I can dress up as Lara and not worry about the weather. Excellent.

Ooooo...do I spot an ice pick....also used for major climbing. She must have found that on the ship. w00. Excitement....

Error96_
10th Dec 2010, 23:46
See looks so tomboyish in these new pics. To say I hate it would be an understatement of how much I hate it.

Pulse
10th Dec 2010, 23:51
See looks so tomboyish in these new pics. To say I hate it would be an understatement of how much I hate it.

She's always been a bit of a tomboy, personality wise. I personally love her new look more than the old one, but that is my opinion.

LARALOVERnr1
10th Dec 2010, 23:56
Mah, Legend's look was the best.

But this one is ok... Though it really reminds me of Sheva Alomar, for some reason... :)

Madubu
11th Dec 2010, 00:46
The last time someone decided to "reinvent" the franchise we got.. Angel of Darkness.. "I feel stronger now.." :rolleyes: .

It sounds ambitious atleast, wich is good since the latest games were very short but.. water and food?

I agree that this series needs a reboot of some sort but this.. is not it, this is something else?

If CD want to make something diferent they should go for it, what they shouldnt do is change TR into something like this.
I dont recognise the 12 year old emo in that banner either... that better be a joke..

NightRain'06
25th Dec 2010, 09:01
This reminds me the days when I played the my first game TR3 and considered her a bad-ass heroine video game character who has returned in this !

Obviously I have no issues with this Lara.

phantomfox
31st Dec 2010, 00:00
i think she looks fat.

AdobeArtist
31st Dec 2010, 01:07
i think she looks fat.

You've got highly unrealistic standards.

Flintmelody
16th Jan 2011, 02:55
I don't think she looks fat. The word I would use is butch. Not a word I would ever want to use to describe a Lara pic. The banner is not great and the pic in OP is siginificantly worse. Proportions, outfit, weapons is not at all good. Lara has always been inspiring as one the earliest and biggest female icons of video gaming but there is no femininity, style or class to this Lara model. The LC vibe is not present.

The interview inspires little faith and shows 2 people high up in CD to badly lack understanding of Lara:(. The games themes look so so good but if CD hash it up same way they have with the Lara model then we are in real trouble.

Silvermoth
16th Jan 2011, 03:54
She looks great, really capable and cool. Like she could hold her own against Batman or Jason Bourne :thumb:

Charlie.T.Raider
24th Feb 2011, 02:07
It's a CD crash and burn sadly. Lara is such a great video game lead and is such a shame to see developers with such poor vision and thoughts. Must try harder.

AdobeArtist
24th Feb 2011, 02:42
She's always been a bit of a tomboy, personality wise. I personally love her new look more than the old one, but that is my opinion.

Lara Croft, a tomboy? C'mon, that's just a myth other gamers perceive her as, but we fans know better. Remeber Tokyo? The opera house? Sure Lara is often in athletic gear and what not, but she's not limited to that.

The outstanding qualities of Lara is that she takes the adventurer traits and combines them with elegance and sophistication. She's never had to subdue her femininity to be strong and independant either. It's all part of the diversity of Lara's characterization that sets her apart from other action heroins. And I wouldn't have it any other way :)

RoombelinaUK
24th Feb 2011, 09:15
It's a CD crash and burn sadly. Lara is such a great video game lead and is such a shame to see developers with such poor vision and thoughts. Must try harder.
:thud:

Lara Croft, a tomboy? C'mon, that's just a myth other gamers perceive her as, but we fans know better. Remeber Tokyo? The opera house? Sure Lara is often in athletic gear and what not, but she's not limited to that.

The outstanding qualities of Lara is that she takes the adventurer traits and combines them with elegance and sophistication. She's never had to subdue her femininity to be strong and independant either. It's all part of the diversity of Lara's characterization that sets her apart from other action heroins. And I wouldn't have it any other way :)
:thumb:

Ants_27_
24th Feb 2011, 09:51

Poor vision is when Crystal decide. This is legend.

Now the next two games will be identical... few new levels, bit o' voice work and bob's your uncle. Sticking with what works just because it does just that is poor vision and TR is a great example, thus the loss of interest.:)

But opinions differ of course. ;)

Charlie.T.Raider
25th Feb 2011, 04:29

I think you are spot on there. That is why I don't understand this want by CD to remove large ammounts of Lara's mental and physical aspects. Deliberately taking away Lara's sense of style and outfit choices (as she supposedly doesn't care about fashion), sex appeal, attitude etc just seems shoddy. Lara can have some sex appeal and style and fit with realism. No need for the over the top aversion to such things. When Lara's sense of humour and toughness was displaced by teenage sulk for TRU that was bad and more trying to soften Lara or make her weaker could be worse.

Just like with the coloured collectables, boss battles and time trials of TRL that were wrongfully rejected for TRU we may see lots of good things disappear here. When you are asked to talk about new things in TR and you spend half the time promoting the fact the game won't include unlockable outfits then is not great. I want to hear of CD adding new things to the series and Lara's personality not just pride in what they are subtracting from her.

Fickji
26th Feb 2011, 07:38
But the bikini has been done before. :rasp:

Until the game itself proves me wrong I'll keep the positive outlook that the devs are creating a real character that can be charished and not the violent whinny mean creature she was in AOD and TRU.

Actually, I didn't mind TRU that much as she didn't do that much talking and...
I take it back, she was a violent whinny mean creature in TRU as well.

Square Enix is backing this and if you've ever played a ff game you know they'll make CD adds lots of stuff.

AdobeArtist
26th Feb 2011, 07:53
But the bikini has been done before. :rasp:

Until the game itself proves me wrong I'll keep the positive outlook that the devs are creating a real character that can be charished and not the violent whinny mean creature she was in AOD and TRU.

Actually, I didn't mind TRU that much as she didn't do that much talking and...
I take it back, she was a violent whinny mean creature in TRU as well.

Square Enix is backing this and if you've ever played a ff game you know they'll make CD adds lots of stuff.

Lara is perpetually killing mercenaries and the wild life that threatens her travels. Isn't she always violent??

As for the second, just when was she being "whiny" in Underworld?