PDA

View Full Version : What do we think of the new Lara Croft?

Gitb97
9th Dec 2010, 21:11
What do we think of Lara? ^^

I actually think the whole "Survival" thing is a good idea.
I like how she's fresh from academy and is inexperienced. It brings back the good side of Tomb Raider and actually freshens it out.
I also think its good how Laras mum isn't being dragged into the game at all now.
What does everyone else think? ^^

kalle90
9th Dec 2010, 21:31
I don't like her looks. Surprise surprise.

But she wasn't pretty in TR1 either. She was just a vessel for my adventure. I hope they do it like that now and don't try to include "Oh mom :`(" or "Insert taunt here" style characterization which was so facepalming in the last 3 games

I'm a bit worried CD makes her a badass during the end of the game though

Randy 54
9th Dec 2010, 22:08
I don't like her looks either. She looks like a Mary Smith rather than a Lara Croft. As for the picture itself, if viewing someone who's been run over by a car is tantalizing, it's great, but I find nothing appealing about it.

BlackThor
9th Dec 2010, 22:17
i like the new look. it's a new direction that's genuinely beautiful but still recognizably Lara Croft

LC is Me
9th Dec 2010, 22:33
Jesus....
I don't think any of you would look like sunshine either if you were in her condition.
I hate how people put so much emphasis on looks today.

I like the new Lara. I like how they are portraying her as a little more vulnerable and I guess...ignorant (?) than her regular ol' high and mighty self.

kalle90
9th Dec 2010, 22:42
Jesus....
I don't think any of you would look like sunshine either if you were in her condition.

I like the new Lara. I like how they are portraying her as a little more vulnerable and I guess...ignorant (?) than her regular ol' high and mighty self.

I'm not talking about her condition. I'm saying she doesn't look attractive or Laralike even under all those wounds

The wounds and such are welcomed but this just isn't "Lara"

Still. The looks didn't matter in the originals so they don't now either, unless CD makes us focus on it

Pulse
9th Dec 2010, 22:58
I'm not talking about her condition. I'm saying she doesn't look attractive or Laralike even under all those wounds

Still. The looks didn't matter in the originals so they don't now either, unless CD makes us focus on it

They kept her mouth and eyes pretty much the same. To me it looks like Lara and very attractive too.

MissJess
10th Dec 2010, 00:15
I think she is beautiful. :p

Danielsun_
10th Dec 2010, 00:18
i cannot say it in my worlds but i have a friend who will help

oofSnsGkops

LC is Me
10th Dec 2010, 01:23

What exactly makes her "Lara"? Or "look like Lara"?
This is a question that has been the thorn in my side since like...Legend...
.-. Is there some specific formula that must be followed in order for her to be Lara? idgi, please enlighten me. Because I always thought her characteristics as a person defined who Lara was, or was not.

hakumen001
10th Dec 2010, 01:23

Spoken like a person who's never had or cared for their looks...

Jokes aside, no one is talking about her battle look in the poster with the mud/ dirt/ and blood, most people are talking about her face period. She doesnt look like LC anymore. Her face annoys me. I don't find her attractive anymore. The lips really annoy me for some reason too. A lot. She just looks super generic to me. The art itself is amazing with the amount of detail in the pic, but that's it. "You can polish a turd till it shines, but it's still a turd."

LC is Me
10th Dec 2010, 01:25

Jokes aside, no one is talking about her battle look in the poster with the mud/ dirt/ and blood, most people are talking about her face period. She doesnt look like LC anymore. Her face annoys me. I don't find her attractive anymore. The lips really annoy me for some reason too. A lot. She just looks super generic to me. The art itself is amazing with the amount of detail in the pic, but that's it. "You can polish a turd till it shines, but it's still a turd."Spoken like a true bigot.

I've spoken like a person who is smart enough to focus on how the game will play and not on her face which you'll barely even see most of the game. You guys become extremely petty over things that are far less significant than major issues/concerns.

Nice try though, guy. I bet you feel real comfortable behind that computer screen, eh?

_Love2Raid_
10th Dec 2010, 02:02
I already liked it, but even more now after I read the latest addition to the Game Informer Hub. CD deserves a lot of respect for how much work they put in this model.

They didn't just think: 'Hmm, what would annoy the TR fans the most?' :rolleyes:

This is what real girls look like, believe it or not.

NightRain'06
10th Dec 2010, 03:49
I kind of spoiled the story for myself by hearing about the outline of it on a video game news site.

I've been a TR fan since the third so I'm very excited for this ! I do hope a trailer will be shown at the VGA's and if not, sometime soon afterward.

My only personal worry is, unlike TRU, a real final boss battle better exist for this one.

QiX
10th Dec 2010, 03:50
"She's beeeaaauutiful! I'm falling in love all over again!" :flowers: lol

Now seriously: CD has made an outstanding job with Lara, I'm still in awe when I look at her. It's like she is finally human, for the first time ever. All we knew about Lara Croft to date was a collection of dolls with her name. The new one is breathing.

Pulse
10th Dec 2010, 06:43

She doesnt look like LC anymore. Her face annoys me. I don't find her attractive anymore. The lips really annoy me for some reason too.

Funny how they didn't change her mouth, huh?

http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt125/EvilPuppyWillKillU/m1.jpg
http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt125/EvilPuppyWillKillU/m2.jpg

Honestly, how do you feel it looks worse when it's the same shape and relative size as before?

AdobeArtist
10th Dec 2010, 07:15
"She's beeeaaauutiful! I'm falling in love all over again!" :flowers: lol

Now seriously: CD has made an outstanding job with Lara, I'm still in awe when I look at her. It's like she is finally human, for the first time ever. All we knew about Lara Croft to date was a collection of dolls with her name. The new one is breathing.

I wholeheartedly second this. When you really examine the new render, you can see the common design of the eyes and the lips. CD took what was a much simpler facial structure before, and more thoroughly fleshed out the details and refined the bone structure along more realistic human anatomy.

It IS Lara, now more real than ever, a totally believable human being and not just a fiction. I said this before and I'll say it again; even with the remodelling of the face, the primary foundation is there within the enhancements, making the updated face immediately recognizable as Lara Croft.

And "eye of the beholder" side, I seriously can't see how anybody see's the new face as unattractive. The features are striking, distinguished, and chiseled without being too hard, still posessing feminine grace in the lines of the jaw and cheeks. basically this is an "athletic hottie", what you'd expect from Lara. Clean up the mud and blood and I have no doubt, walking down the streets of London, this lady would be turning lots of heads. I'll even go so far as to say gorgeous.

Now anatomical features aside, the expression still conveys the strength and fierce determination we have come to love about our dear Lara, and we should expect no less in any incarnation :)

Phillyfanboy
10th Dec 2010, 07:41
Im pumped, game has made start Underworld again.

Danielsun_
10th Dec 2010, 08:37
I second everything adobeartist said

BraveNewGuy
10th Dec 2010, 09:48
I really liked the way she looks , pretty hot young .. :D

Bampire
10th Dec 2010, 11:15
I wholeheartedly second this. When you really examine the new render, you can see the common design of the eyes and the lips. CD took what was a much simpler facial structure before, and more thoroughly fleshed out the details and refined the bone structure along more realistic human anatomy.

It IS Lara, now more real than ever, a totally believable human being and not just a fiction. I said this before and I'll say it again; even with the remodelling of the face, the primary foundation is there within the enhancements, making the updated face immediately recognizable as Lara Croft.

And "eye of the beholder" side, I seriously can't see how anybody see's the new face as unattractive. The features are striking, distinguished, and chiseled without being too hard, still posessing feminine grace in the lines of the jaw and cheeks. basically this is an "athletic hottie", what you'd expect from Lara. Clean up the mud and blood and I have no doubt, walking down the streets of London, this lady would be turning lots of heads. I'll even go so far as to say gorgeous.

Now anatomical features aside, the expression still conveys the strength and fierce determination we have come to love about our dear Lara, and we should expect no less in any incarnation :)

This.

Pyrofer
10th Dec 2010, 12:35
+1 to the "love the new Lara" crew.

I think they did an amazing job of making a realistic Lara.
No, it doesnt look like the "old" LC, but she didnt look human anyway!

Everything I have seen and heard about this game make me think, "YES! I CANT WAIT"

I only wish I hadn't heard about it at all, as now I have to wait all that time till its out, and that will be bad.

It's been too long waiting for a new TR Game, GoL was great, but this looks like I might forgive them a bit for the years in between games.
How many did we get on PS1? then on PS2? and now on PS3?
Looks like we will only get one TR for the PS4, then the PS5 wont get one at all while they work on the PS6 version :p
Its a sad fact that as games get better they are harder to produce and take longer, but my oh my, this one looks worth it all.

DamianGraham
10th Dec 2010, 17:14

She doesn't look "laralike" because this is how she was made into Lara. she is inexperienced and new. This game is how she BECOMES "laralike"" i honestly can't believe you guys are criticizing it. she looks a-Fu*king-mazing! i am soooo excited and i bet the graphics are going to be beautiful. i hope its out by december of next year

Deadly_Disaster
10th Dec 2010, 17:49
to me this new concept done by CD is not bad at all but the thing which concerns me is that CD doesn't remove those puzzle solving thing from TR and make it a action survival game bcoz its those puzzle solving issue and those adventures and explorations which makes LARA CROFT and TOMB RAIDER so unique

dark7angel
10th Dec 2010, 19:15

This!

m_gunselman
10th Dec 2010, 21:12
Has anyone read the Game Informer article in the actual magazine? She is incredibly gorgeous in the screenshots. A little more of a hybrid of the Underworld model and the new render, and totally realistic looking. (FINALLY SHE HAS AN ACTUAL NOSE!!!) I'm not attracted to women, but DAMN she looks great.

And as for Deadly_Disaster's question about the puzzles, the article touches briefly on puzzles, but they did say that most of them will not be like classic "find the key, pull the lever" type deals, since it's not realistic that ancient machinery would work seamlessly if at all. The puzzles will be more grounded in reality like clearing debris, overcoming the environment, and such.

noul
12th Dec 2010, 11:19
I think the new Lady Croft is...perfect! She's more realisitc than ever! She looks younger (which is normal with the scenario) but she hasn't lost her charm.
Moreover in the screenshots she reminds me of a warrior, an amazone, as the title says it in the cover she's "a survivor"!
I confess I hadn't recognize her at the beginnig, maybe because of her loss of...chest! X)
PS : sorry for my english not perfect!

VOLCOM20lovesLARA
14th Dec 2010, 01:16
i can honestly say that i've been away from the forums ever since GOL came out.
i just felt like it wasn't as juicy and marvelous as all the other TR games.
and it was denifitely a couple of steps from Underworld.
but this new reboot seriously looks promising.
i love the the story plot and i like
the way they made Lara look a little more fresh and young :)
so that's a :thumb: from me

AdobeArtist
14th Dec 2010, 02:10
Guardian of Light wasn't a Tomb Raider game. It was a Lara Croft spin-off game, hence why "Tomb Raider" didn't appear in the title, but rather Lara Croft.

And as a spin-off title branching into a different game design, it was thoroughly enjoyable :)

Gud
15th Dec 2010, 13:37
Does anyone know the name of the model for those pictures?

Like : http://media1.gameinformer.com/imagefeed/featured/square-enix/crystaldynamics/tombraider/jan2011_cover_b_front.jpg

GoranAgar
15th Dec 2010, 14:07
Does anyone know the name of the model for those pictures?

Like : http://media1.gameinformer.com/imagefeed/featured/square-enix/crystaldynamics/tombraider/jan2011_cover_b_front.jpg
That raises an interesting question. Did the CGI artist build the girl of his dreams, did he have a real life original he copied (possibly his daughter) or maybe merged it from attributes of different real life people?

AlanqtrMain
15th Dec 2010, 16:54
That raises an interesting question. Did the CGI artist build the girl of his dreams, did he have a real life original he copied (possibly his daughter) or maybe merged it from attributes of different real life people?

I'm sure its a mix of different people, but she sure is attractive, and those eyes certainly are mesmerising.

_Love2Raid_
16th Dec 2010, 01:21
It was written in one of those articles that they used two models. I guess she is a hybrid of those women. :)

AdobeArtist
16th Dec 2010, 02:27
I'm sure its a mix of different people, but she sure is attractive, and those eyes certainly are mesmerising.

I couldn't agree more :thumb::D

gunshitknife
21st Dec 2010, 09:46
I think she's Meh, now. She doesn't look any different from a lot of heroines out there, now. Pony tail, average body....most heroines have this and it's typical. They stripped her off of her charm and uniqueness.

gunshitknife
21st Dec 2010, 09:49
When I first saw this new image of her, I swear I did not recognize her.lol

AdobeArtist
21st Dec 2010, 12:33
I think she's Meh, now. She doesn't look any different from a lot of heroines out there, now. Pony tail, average body....most heroines have this and it's typical. They stripped her off of her charm and uniqueness.

They made Lara more REAL than ever before, as opposed to something that looked like a simulation. Of course all game character's are virtual, but the goal is always to create the illusion of reality, which this one successfully has.

This can only be a good thing, as it progresses her character evolution which is necessary to keep her relevant to the times. The old character models were a relic of outdated tech and this is now a new image that is a reflection of forward thinking, which keeps her relevant to the times and not stagnating.

Oh and the moment I saw the cover she was immediately recognizable. If you look more closely, you can see they took the basic model, which was a very simplistic face render, and applied it with more realistic facial modelling, based on proper anatomy. The key features of her eyes and lips are there within the remodelling. It IS the Lara we've always known, seen if she were truly a living human being and not an illustration of a human.

dark7angel
21st Dec 2010, 12:51
They made Lara more REAL than ever before, as opposed to something that looked like a simulation. Of course all game character's are virtual, but the goal is always to create the illusion of reality, which this one successfully has.

This can only be a good thing, as it progresses her character evolution which is necessary to keep her relevant to the times. The old character models were a relic of outdated tech and this is now a new image that is a reflection of forward thinking, which keeps her relevant to the times and not stagnating.

Oh and the moment I saw the cover she was immediately recognizable. If you look more closely, you can see they took the basic model, which was a very simplistic face render, and applied it with more realistic facial modelling, based on proper anatomy. The key features of her eyes and lips are there within the remodelling. It IS the Lara we've always known, seen if she were truly a living human being and not an illustration of a human.

:thumb:

Red Meat
21st Dec 2010, 14:54
I don't know about anyone else but when i looked closely at the pictures i could see a physical few similarities..

It said in one of the articles that they kept the basic proportions/positioning of the nose, mouth and eyes the same as previous lara's, and they're right you can tell.

Madubu
21st Dec 2010, 17:50
Miss Croft without her backpack and holstered pistols? Sorry but thats just like TR without boulders and spike traps.

She might look "more real" but also boring, weak and.. sad.

Please cancel this awfull game and go back to the drawing boards, thank you!

LC is Me
21st Dec 2010, 21:48
Miss Croft without her backpack and holstered pistols? Sorry but thats just like TR without boulders and spike traps.

She might look "more real" but also boring, weak and.. sad.

Please cancel this awfull game and go back to the drawing boards, thank you!

Are you serious?
o________O

Danielsun_
21st Dec 2010, 22:00
must resist feeding troll.....

can't help it!, you dont even know the full details of the game yet, best not to knock it until its finally ready for release and you've played it

thank you

Jurre
21st Dec 2010, 22:23
Perhaps she finds the two guns, the backpack and her other iconic things on the island one by one. Thus, she goes in as the unknown rookie Lara and at the end gloriously emerges as the Lara we know.

Danielsun_
21st Dec 2010, 23:10
sounds like a nice idea Jurre, wonder what they will do with it, not sure if they want to keep her in that mode though if they are completely re doing her

Alex Ivey
21st Dec 2010, 23:42
All I got to say is that I LOVE the new Lara look. So much, in fact, that I had to make a blog just to express such:

I have never been a fan of Tomb Raider. It's not that I hate the actual games: I just dislike the use of sex to sell products. That is the way I've always felt about Lara Croft since the beginning. I have only seen her as a marketing ploy to get people to buy the games. I'll admit, I've played through a couple of the Tomb Raiders, and they were pretty fun at the time; however, I just couldn't get past the look of the heroine. Imagine my surprise when I opened the latest issue of Game Informer to find out just who this battered, muddy, cut-up girl from the cover was.

After I tore my eyes away from gazing into hers, I was quite shocked to discover this young woman was the one and only Lara Croft. For a brief moment, my joy of having a game with a realistic female lead was threatened. I was relieved when the article reaffirmed my initial feelings towards this new Lara.

"She bleeds and bruises, trembles and cries, but ultimately pushes forward." Meagan Marie writes. Simply staring into her eyes tell me this story, something I find myself doing still. I'm not the only one it seems. According to the article, eye tracking studies were done which determined that people were caught spending most of their time staring into those eyes, perhaps extracting the same story I did out of them.

I can't say whether this game will be good or not. In fact, I have only pictures and text to base my newborn fandom on. What I can gather of the atmosphere out of the article seems amazing though. If the voice actress can express Lara's voice as well as the artists have expressed her appearance; if the musician captures the feeling of the desperate struggle for survival; if the gameplay immerses us deeply into this world, I think this game may be something very special.

Even though I know everyone has their own opinion, it is hard for me to believe that people don't think the new Lara is attractive; even going as far as saying she is ugly. I think she is beautiful, but no longer the sex symbol she once was. Call me strange, but no matter how sexy this new Lara actually is, I won't think of her that way, I respect her too much. Anything that can do that to me I would call ART.

LC is Me
22nd Dec 2010, 01:06
must resist feeding troll.....

can't help it!, you dont even know the full details of the game yet, best not to knock it until its finally ready for release and you've played it

thank you
Mm, my thoughts exactly, but a tad nicer.
Good work, Daniel. 8D

Madubu
22nd Dec 2010, 06:20
Are you serious?
o________O

I am, i read about the game.. it doesnt sound like a bad idea for a game, just NOT a new TR game.

I honestly dont like that emo look.. or the idea of LC being a desperate survivor carrying a machete and a bow, searching for food and water... having a skill upgrade system, fast travel, base camps.. thats not TR.

I prefer to think of miss Croft as a daring adventurer, not a character from LOST... the sad look i can live with (though i'd rather not), its the game and the gameplay that im mostly concerned about... its not what i'd like to see.

I know many people are excited about the game because of the face in that banner and are more concerned about her looks than the game itself.. i dont like the new look but most of all i really dont like the survivor idea behind the game, they might aswell put zombies in it...

hiMe
22nd Dec 2010, 11:53
Dude....she's only meant to be 21. Let's chuck you in a jungle after two months of exercise and see what you do. Obviously she's not gonna be all like OH HAI GAIS! :D

She's dead serious. All she wants to do is survive. Survival of the fittest rightttttt. :p

"thats not TR"

And hang on...who are you to say that? I'm sure more people are for the reboot than they are against.

Oh oh and!: does anyone else get a feeling of Sarah Conner[Terminator] when looking at Lara?

AdobeArtist
23rd Dec 2010, 02:18
I am, i read about the game.. it doesnt sound like a bad idea for a game, just NOT a new TR game.

I honestly dont like that emo look.. or the idea of LC being a desperate survivor carrying a machete and a bow, searching for food and water... having a skill upgrade system, fast travel, base camps.. thats not TR.

I prefer to think of miss Croft as a daring adventurer, not a character from LOST... the sad look i can live with (though i'd rather not), its the game and the gameplay that im mostly concerned about... its not what i'd like to see.

I know many people are excited about the game because of the face in that banner and are more concerned about her looks than the game itself.. i dont like the new look but most of all i really dont like the survivor idea behind the game, they might aswell put zombies in it...

That's not TR? So is your idea of TR doing the exact same thing over and over again? Do you realize that's just what lead to the decline of the series? Stagnation leads to extinction, and I do not want to see that for my beloved character!!

So what if Lara is usually with her pistols and other exploration gear? Do you not get the context of this story? Any character can suddenly and unexpectedly find themselves in situations beyond their control, and cut off from access to their familiar accessories, where they have to improvise and make do only with what they can fashion from their situation - hence the bow and machete.

It's far more compelling the character who can make the best of their situation and overcome their disadvantges than one who relies on their familiar trappings. This is the true virtue that makes Lara remarkable.

As for the whole "Lara is supposed to be a daring adventurer" argument, this is the reboot of the series, with its own fresh take on the origin story. We now get to witness and experience the events which shaped a young and inexperienced girl into that adventurer we know. So it is expected this will lead to the present time when Lara has her trademark pistols. But for the context of the this chapter in her life, it's about how she rose to the challenge of the events that made her who she'll become.

And as for the whole notion is an "emo" thing.... I mean seriously, can you not get that this is not a chosen style for Lara?? Her look is a reflection of the hardship and trauma she must endure and overcome. That should be obvious, at least I hoped it was :rolleyes:

LC is Me
23rd Dec 2010, 03:06

You can't honestly believe she's been daring her whole life.
It's not realistic. Being perfect is not an attribute humans have. And I think that is the point in making Lara vulnerable -- to make her seem human for once and take away that same old "I can do anything" attitude and way of life.

Showing how she came to be and the trials she had to go through to get there...I don't understand how she looks emo. To me, she looks like she needs a shower or two. But that's the true grit. That's what I want to see. I want to see her be realistic in the sense of being a little human and not perfect.

Survival doesn't always have to correlate with zombies...Jesus...
There have been way worse in TR games than zombies. She's had to survive fights with various mythical creatures has she not? I don't understand why people keep saying "I can't stand the survival horror concept and those enemy concepts" when we've fought three headed serpents, live statues, mummies, etc etc. I might sound like I'm overthinking...but doesn't that require...survival?

And just because we actually appreciate her look doesn't mean we don't care about the story, gameplay, and mechanics of the game.

AdobeArtist
23rd Dec 2010, 03:13
*high fives LC_is_Me*

:wave::thumb::friends:

Jaheria
23rd Dec 2010, 04:27
Hmm I don't know. When I looked at the picture I couldn't really see Lara. I know it's supposed to be a younger version of her but the only similarities I really see are the mouth. I do like the idea behind this one though and the potential for the story line could be really good.

I've never liked using bows and arrows in video games though. I think that's one part that would get to me. I hope she'll have more then just that or maybe find something somewhere.

As for her looks *meh* they are fine and having her look like a real person is cool but I will always like the TR legend version of Lara :).

LC is Me
23rd Dec 2010, 05:33
*high fives LC_is_Me*

:wave::thumb::friends:

Woot. :thumb:

Madubu
23rd Dec 2010, 20:37
That's not TR? So is your idea of TR doing the exact same thing over and over again? Do you realize that's just what lead to the decline of the series? Stagnation leads to extinction, and I do not want to see that for my beloved character!!

They could really improve the game this time.
Betwean the old gen titles and the new ones there is far more room for improvement than what i've seen so far.. the series stagnated because the new games are short and not very challenging. Imo the franchise doesnt need such a drastic reboot, it needs an epic game wich Crystal hasnt achieved yet..

So what if Lara is usually with her pistols and other exploration gear? Do you not get the context of this story? Any character can suddenly and unexpectedly find themselves in situations beyond their control, and cut off from access to their familiar accessories, where they have to improvise and make do only with what they can fashion from their situation - hence the bow and machete.

It's far more compelling the character who can make the best of their situation and overcome their disadvantges than one who relies on their familiar trappings. This is the true virtue that makes Lara remarkable.

I get the context, i just dont like it or find it compelling at all, the character, the setting and this whole game idea sound.. boring.

As for the whole "Lara is supposed to be a daring adventurer" argument, this is the reboot of the series, with its own fresh take on the origin story. We now get to witness and experience the events which shaped a young and inexperienced girl into that adventurer we know. So it is expected this will lead to the present time when Lara has her trademark pistols. But for the context of the this chapter in her life, it's about how she rose to the challenge of the events that made her who she'll become.

And as for the whole notion is an "emo" thing.... I mean seriously, can you not get that this is not a chosen style for Lara?? Her look is a reflection of the hardship and trauma she must endure and overcome. That should be obvious, at least I hoped it was :rolleyes:

Again, i know its a reboot and an episode in the life of the character.. but i dont like it. I dont want to overcome a traumatic experience, i want an exciting adventure, great platforming, some action, traps, great puzzle solving and amazing tombs and ruins. not Alan Wake..

beretta
23rd Dec 2010, 20:51
it is simply beautiful

phantomfox
23rd Dec 2010, 21:12
i think she looks better. i like the smaller breast and she looks more realistic. :)

Ants_27_
24th Dec 2010, 20:20
Again, i know its a reboot and an episode in the life of the character.. but i dont like it. I dont want to overcome a traumatic experience, i want an exciting adventure, great platforming, some action, traps, great puzzle solving and amazing tombs and ruins. not Alan Wake..

Which the game will most likely feature, just presented in a way which that fans of say Silent Hill will enjoy also.:)

Alan Wake was a fantastic game though I like physiological thrillers there's just not enough, that and Heavy Rain I mean come on I don't want this COD or Halo crap we need proper games that are driven by story and gameplay that is produced from the story it's self. - Sorry, a little off subject!

BritCroft
26th Dec 2010, 03:00
I personally love her. she looks so much more down to earth, and well, real. I love a realistic lara because it makes her more human, and less plastic. She's beautiful in a way that says "I'm not trying too hard and have not had plastic surgery"

Gamer1
26th Dec 2010, 17:55
I think Lara should have been left alone. There is nothing wrong with having some sex appeal. I think she looked the best ever in TRU. Now they change her looks to something compleatly different. I really don't understand why they would want to change something so perfect in my opinion.

lookalikelara
27th Dec 2010, 22:40
i dont think she looks all that much like a young lara in the pictures that have been released
( except maybe in this one http://www.gamersworldbd.com/images/Tomb-Raider-Reboot/big.jpg )

but I do think that once the game comes into play the character will look like lara during gameplay.

lookalikelara
27th Dec 2010, 23:09
k here compare theese 2
http://www.gamersworldbd.com/images/Tomb-Raider-Reboot/big.jpg http://ui05.gamespot.com/1892/tombraiderunderworldlara_2.jpg

now these 2

http://beefjack.com/files/2010/12/Tomb-Raider-2011-Game-Informer-Cover.jpg http://ui05.gamespot.com/1892/tombraiderunderworldlara_2.jpg

num 1 actually looks like lara, the other one is completely different............ :D

JRCHOharry
28th Dec 2010, 22:53
I like her!

TRChildhood
30th Dec 2010, 00:35
I loved the look Lara had in Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness ;)

lookalikelara
30th Dec 2010, 02:40
I loved the look Lara had in Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness ;)

i didnt !

Denis..
30th Dec 2010, 14:10
i like the new lara coz in underworld she was like she just left from her make up artist

chriss_99
30th Dec 2010, 16:57
I'm waiting to see how she's going to look like in the actual game. Renders are always prettier than screenshots. Above all, the most important aspect is gameplay. Unfortunately, if CD isn't able to deliver what they've promised, Lara's looks won't save the game.

Iizp
30th Dec 2010, 18:58
I think she's absolutely beautiful! ...But one thing is pretty funny; the size of her breasts is getting smaller and smaller. What's happening to her? :scratch: (But I don't mean that's a bad thing. So this wasn't a complainment!!)

phantomfox
30th Dec 2010, 22:49
i hope they make her nose more cuter and smaller.

TRChildhood
31st Dec 2010, 02:04
The song in this video describes me after I saw the new "Lara"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfoC2vLllhc

TRChildhood
31st Dec 2010, 02:07
About 3 days later...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW-Eh4WkKLM

TRChildhood
31st Dec 2010, 02:08
And now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9udDOUjTBVo

I don't give a **** just make the game GREAT.

Silvermoth
2nd Jan 2011, 09:28
I think she's awesome! I can't wait to see her in action. Does anyone know who will voice her yet?

It's great that they didn't go for the make up dainty sort of character. It's cool to see a feminist as a video game character

NikkiNuclear
2nd Jan 2011, 09:54
k here compare theese 2
http://www.gamersworldbd.com/images/Tomb-Raider-Reboot/big.jpg http://ui05.gamespot.com/1892/tombraiderunderworldlara_2.jpg

now these 2

http://beefjack.com/files/2010/12/Tomb-Raider-2011-Game-Informer-Cover.jpg http://ui05.gamespot.com/1892/tombraiderunderworldlara_2.jpg

num 1 actually looks like lara, the other one is completely different............ :D

The two new renders of her are exactly the same when it comes to her facial features. The only difference is that in the first one is that the outline around her eyes is darker, which makes her look older. Other than that, it's the same face.

aang001
2nd Jan 2011, 10:49
Spoken like a true bigot.

I've spoken like a person who is smart enough to focus on how the game will play and not on her face which you'll barely even see most of the game. You guys become extremely petty over things that are far less significant than major issues/concerns.

Nice try though, guy. I bet you feel real comfortable behind that computer screen, eh?

Im always comfortable. I have no fear except fear itself. Trust me. If you were smart, you'd realize that was a joke. Why so serious? Did I hit a nerve? Dont get your panties in a bunch over a small joke. I've never seen you so why do you care? You could be a model for all I know. That was why I said "jokes aside". Most people would have wrote a joke back. Getting all sensitive on me...

Back on topic, it was called what do we think. That was what I felt at the moment. How are we to focus on elements that arent shown? Of course every gamer is worried about how it will play gameplay wise, that's obvious. We all want it to be great. If I didnt like the new style the art went in that's my opinion. We all have those. Then there is the point you tried to make about not seeing her face...How? She is the main character and you'll be seeing a lot of her face. You dont care how you characters look that you play then that's your thing. Some of us care. It could be because I care more about art than you. Gameplay, art, music, story, controls and the world, all have to be great or good enough with no weak links. The art as I said was amazing but I didnt care for her new face. Maybe I was harsh when I said it. It was more out of shock when I wrote it. After taking some time to get used to the new look, I dont mind it. She's had more face changes than Michael Jackson, so I shouldnt have been so shocked by it. For some reason it hit me like the death of the DreamCast.

LC is Me
2nd Jan 2011, 22:06
Im always comfortable. I have no fear except fear itself. Trust me. If you were smart, you'd realize that was a joke. Why so serious? Did I hit a nerve? Dont get your panties in a bunch over a small joke. I've never seen you so why do you care? You could be a model for all I know. That was why I said "jokes aside". Most people would have wrote a joke back. Getting all sensitive on me...

LOL you're responding to that super late, #1.
#2, really don't care if it was a joke or not. What I said was still relevant.

MOVING ONNN.

TrickyVein
4th Jan 2011, 13:02
From the senior design artist at CD, Sam Wu, or what's his name, we heard that Lara has always looked slightly "unreal." She's a game character, always somewhat shorter than other characters, and of course anyone with her proportions in real life would snap at the waist.

This new look changes all of that. Not sure I like it so much. Will have to see it "work" in its own context. She's got no hips, btw. :(

Beowulf71
5th Jan 2011, 06:27
She looks athletic, pretty and really have nice proportions.

I think overall she looks as best as she ever looked in any games, probably even better.

Nice work.

The_Hylden
6th Jan 2011, 08:43
I've loved the look ever since it first debuted. She's so realistic looking, it's truly amazing what they've done here. Can't wait to see the game in actual motion :)

I am glad they're making her not only more real, but taking into consideration her as a character, and no more of this cliche outfit and breast size/proportion size stuff.

Flintmelody
10th Jan 2011, 03:06
The new game themes: Fantastic and superb. More depth, more explorations, suspence and proper violence. LOVE IT (two thumbs up)

The new Lara: Doesn't look right for Lara. Completely wrong body shape for LC, no classic outfit and no duel pistols. HATE IT (two thumbs down)

Rios
10th Jan 2011, 04:15
I really like the new look and feel of the game from what Ive seen so far. Looks like a brand new Lara for a new generation of gamers, should be cool to see how things continue to develop.

Elliot Kane
17th Jan 2011, 14:17
I'll make up my mind when I see her in the game, honestly. Right now it's all still images and speculation. But that's like a photograph - it's one moment in time and can be both good or bad. It may not be much of a guide to what a moving Lara is like.

Rough_Raider
24th Jan 2011, 03:04
http://tombraiders.net/stella/images/TR9/Lara_face.jpgi like this better than the one they currently have

AdobeArtist
24th Jan 2011, 03:13
^^ Not sure what you mean. That IS the one they currently have :scratch::scratch:

LC is Me
24th Jan 2011, 03:47
^^ Not sure what you mean. That IS the one they currently have :scratch::scratch:

I think he meant the one they currently have as the banner above

^^^^^^^^

I really like that render as well.

AdobeArtist
24th Jan 2011, 04:20
I think he meant the one they currently have as the banner above

^^^^^^^^

I really like that render as well.

Even so, it's the same thing. You're just looking at two renditions of the same character model. The banner image looks only slightly different because of the blood & grime, which is the more obvious thing. But look really closely and you see the exact same eyes, and even the similarity in the cheekbone facial structure.

It has only a different tone from the intensity... she's expressing her determination to survive her hellish ordeal and that's marked on her face.

So the banner is contextual whereas the second image is just a neutral render.

Christie Luv
24th Jan 2011, 04:51
Hi there, this is my first post! I thought I'd join a forum about my most favorite Xbox game, and when I heard of Tomb Raider 9 I got giddy beyond belief!

There are soo many things I love about Lara Croft, but if I could give some pointers to the game designers, I'd say make her happy more often, and involve humor into the story more often. In many of the characters that we can play she kind of loks too serious, or even angry. I'm not saying, make her look goofy, maybe I'm saying that to skin customizers *lol* but I'm sure she enjoys what she is doing other wise she wouldn't be raiding those tombs. In this situation where she is stuck on an island that she doesn't know about I understand if she is more serious oriented, but I'm sure she may enjoy it just for the adventure aspect, because Lara Croft naturally has the heart of an adventurer.

AdobeArtist
24th Jan 2011, 12:39
Lara looking very pretty and sexy in Anniversary and Underworld but new lara is not like old one. So I don't new lara.

What's the difference to you, between the Anniversary/Underworld Lara, and the original, besides obvious technicals of generational hardware? And what about this new model reminds you of the old Lara that you don't like?

LC is Me
24th Jan 2011, 17:31
Even so, it's the same thing. You're just looking at two renditions of the same character model. The banner image looks only slightly different because of the blood & grime, which is the more obvious thing. But look really closely and you see the exact same eyes, and even the similarity in the cheekbone facial structure.

It has only a different tone from the intensity... she's expressing her determination to survive her hellish ordeal and that's marked on her face.

So the banner is contextual whereas the second image is just a neutral render.
Uhh. Okay?

I don't think it's that big of a deal.
He just has a preference over the style of one render to another.
We can calm down now.
Jeez.
And likewise, a neutral expression doesn't really diminish any sort of meaning this game is supposed to deal out. Some of the most "neutral" expressions and styles in art have some of the most important meanings (Minimalism anyone??)

But regardless, it's just a preference.
I'm not going to try and debate any further than that over a choice.

Lukass
24th Jan 2011, 22:31
I totally LOVE the new Lara Croft! They couldn't make her better!
I couldn't imagine better Lara Croft in my wildest dreams!

GREAT JOB CRYSTALS! I LOVE YOU!

AdobeArtist
24th Jan 2011, 23:37
I totally LOVE the new Lara Croft! They couldn't make her better!
I couldn't imagine better Lara Croft in my wildest dreams!

GREAT JOB CRYSTALS! I LOVE YOU!

And believe me, I tried to imagine a better Lara in my dreams. Doesn't even come close to this, haha. :p:o:D

_Love2Raid_
25th Jan 2011, 00:20
Yup, same model, just edited differently. Just like this one:

http://i52.tinypic.com/2ahgxtl.jpg

Error96_
25th Jan 2011, 04:37
http://tombraiders.net/stella/images/TR9/Lara_face.jpgi like this better than the one they currently have

That pic is SOOOOOOO much better than the banner and all other released Lara pics. Unlike them, Lara in this pic has much softer facial features like traditional LC and a nicer hairstyle. It's non of this horrible tomboyish stuff. Instead this is beautiful and the fine details are done perfectly. I can see this pic as a true faithfully done young Lara unlike when I look at the banner.

If this was the main banner for the game then I would be a lot happier.

AdobeArtist
25th Jan 2011, 05:46
That pic is SOOOOOOO much better than the banner and all other released Lara pics. Unlike them, Lara in this pic has much softer facial features like traditional LC and a nicer hairstyle. It's non of this horrible tomboyish stuff. Instead this is beautiful and the fine details are done perfectly. I can see this pic as a true faithfully done young Lara unlike when I look at the banner.

If this was the main banner for the game then I would be a lot happier.

Of course she's softer in this picture. This one isn't depicting her enduring her hellish ordeal. The banner is all about the context of the story, and how it affects her. It's a good picture in how it reveals what we can expect to experience in the gameplay.

Cheese is nice.
25th Jan 2011, 08:17
Jesus....

Dear God LC, How I have missed you. :wave: I like the new Lara face, but the hair sort of makes me angry. She looks like a lion. The body is not so disgustingly disproportionate anymore and she seems very tough. I for one dislike the idea of the whole game being based in a survivor like atmosphere with no changes of scenery or anything but whatevs. I wish that they would have made her a little less banged up for the cover at least but I can tell that this is going to be an interesting game. Now if only I can get my hands on that Alice: Madness Returns game, my 2011 will be complete and it barely started!!:lmao:

LC is Me
26th Jan 2011, 23:35
Dear God LC, How I have missed you. :wave: I like the new Lara face, but the hair sort of makes me angry. She looks like a lion. The body is not so disgustingly disproportionate anymore and she seems very tough. I for one dislike the idea of the whole game being based in a survivor like atmosphere with no changes of scenery or anything but whatevs. I wish that they would have made her a little less banged up for the cover at least but I can tell that this is going to be an interesting game. Now if only I can get my hands on that Alice: Madness Returns game, my 2011 will be complete and it barely started!!:lmao:

CHEEEEESSEEEEE.
xD

And yes, Alice: Madness Returns is on my highly anticipated list as well.
CANT WAAIIITTT.
woot woot

And I personally am okay with her hair.
It looks a little weird but I think it's alright.
Lion...haha.

Cheese is nice.
27th Jan 2011, 01:47
CHEEEEESSEEEEE.
xD

And yes, Alice: Madness Returns is on my highly anticipated list as well.
CANT WAAIIITTT.
woot woot

And I personally am okay with her hair.
It looks a little weird but I think it's alright.
Lion...haha.

Haha you liked that one? :lol: Happy to bring a sense of humor to the table again. What have I missed?

Charlie.T.Raider
24th Feb 2011, 02:10
[CENTER]What do we think of Lara? ^^

I haven't seen Lara yet.... and that's why I don't like it.

Cristiavano
25th Feb 2011, 03:01

I like how she's fresh from academy and is inexperienced. It brings back the good side of Tomb Raider and actually freshens it out.
I also think its good how Laras mum isn't being dragged into the game at all now.

Natla: I'm very pleased to see you Lara.
Natla: My gosh Lara you got a reduction ;O
But yeah gotta love lara no matter what

WinterSoldierLTE
25th Feb 2011, 23:56
Looks wise, I'd say she looks fine and to me was recognizable as Lara Croft. Can't say as I had a "Hang on, who's THAT?" moment. And as a guy, I'd still offer to buy her a drink if I met her in a bar ;) Call me bigot, pig-ish, whatever. Just being honest.

Cheese is nice.
26th Feb 2011, 03:30
Of course she's softer in this picture. This one isn't depicting her enduring her hellish ordeal. The banner is all about the context of the story, and how it affects her. It's a good picture in how it reveals what we can expect to experience in the gameplay.

See, here is where I think we differ. Personally, when looking at the banner and picture, the only difference is how dirty and cut up she is. The look that she gives on the banner does not look determined at all to me. She looks blank, if anything. Same with the other picture. She's just way prettier in the picture, that's all. I personally think they could have done the cover WAAAAAAY better than what we have right now. Hopefully the renders will get better.

freshrevenge
26th Feb 2011, 04:02
I love the new look. It doesn't look like she is this fashion model with guns. she is attractive and different. I think I am in love with the new Lara.

Rhanyan
23rd Mar 2011, 21:39
Sorry, I didn't know the "old" Lara from the games. I did enjoy the movies, however.

With respect to the "new" Lara, this game will be a start in the game series for me. I hope for you Lara veterans, that this will also be a fresh beginning to a great new series.

After seeing Lara on the cover of the Game Informer, I was curious. I felt compelled to read the article, after that, I was fascinated.

So, with no offense intended to those of you who have played and loved the older versions of Lara, please be assured that your fond memories are respected.

Having said that, I must now say that I rather like what I see with respect to this "new" Lara.

I am very much looking forward to this game, and my first encounter with her. To this newcomer, the updated image looks great, actually, and quite compelling. It drew me in from nowhere.

I sincerely hope this "reboot" will draw in many other new players to the ranks of the Tomb Raiders. If gameplay is as good as the art, then this new fan would love to join your ranks. I am looking forward to the possibility of a whole new series of Lara adventures.

Thanks, and have a nice day.

AdobeArtist
23rd Mar 2011, 21:52
Rhanyan, welcome to the forums and most especially, the fold of Lara fans :)

There has been some controversy about the new Lara, but I know I'm not alone about what I love most about this reimagining; which is how much it humanizes the most iconic gaming female protagonist from her previous incarnations.

I'm actually a long time, fan, having played the original game when it first came out on PS1 (for historical acuracy, was first on Dreamcast and PC). I was quite sceptical about the idea of starting over again, but after seeing the images and finding out the direction they're going, I feel this may be the best thing to happen to her in a long time.

Well at least I hope I'm right. One of my wishes was to see Lara reclaim the glory she had in her debut, when she was celebrated by gamers of all walks and the media alike, when she was the center of acclaim before the decline and became associated with things like "washed up" and "rehashed", followed only by a small niche crowd.

And if you're any indication, I think the future for our dear Lara is looking bright indeed :)

Again welcome, and make yourself confortable in the clubhouse, we got pizza, beer, and chips
:wave::flowers:

WinterSoldierLTE
23rd Mar 2011, 22:21
Hi Rhanyan! Welcome to the forums! No worries about being an old school fan or new schooler, all Lara fans are welcome here! Cheers!

lookalikelara
28th Mar 2011, 01:55
For some reason it hit me like the death of the DreamCast.

yes. just yes. u summed it up perfectly

lookalikelara
28th Mar 2011, 02:04
Oh and HELLO Rhanyan!!! even though i dont exactly like the new new face of lara, I have to say... the way you put it was the least controversial! its good to get an opinion of a new player.

Pulse
28th Mar 2011, 03:52
Oh and HELLO Rhanyan!!! even though i dont exactly like the new new face of lara, I have to say... the way you put it was the least controversial! its good to get an opinion of a new player.

Do you not like the face in the forum banner or the one in the game? Because if you look at screen shots, you'll see they are completely different (but somehow similar...)

lookalikelara
25th Apr 2011, 00:42
yea i dont like the banner one. the in game one is perfectly fine :)

_awestruck_
25th Apr 2011, 04:24
But they look alike. I don't get that.

AdobeArtist
25th Apr 2011, 04:55
But they look alike. I don't get that.

That's what I've pointed out before. Same facial bone structure and anatomical proportions. It's only a difference of visual context, where the banner shows Lara in a more roughened and deteriorated condition.

The banner is basically in one still image trying to tell the story of what Lara will experience in this chapter in her life, much like any movie poster sets the tone for what the viewer will be experiencing over the course of 2hrs.

Natla
25th Apr 2011, 06:49
I just like to make a small comment having read the thread. The "old" Tomb Raider fans aren't just busy praising the old games; they are also interested in preserving the essence of what most people worldwide think of as Lara's character. It's a small point - now I'll go back to reading some "old" media, namely, my copy of Harper's Bazaar (Russia).

AdobeArtist
25th Apr 2011, 07:14
I just like to make a small comment having read the thread. The "old" Tomb Raider fans aren't just busy praising the old games; they are also interested in preserving the essence of what most people worldwide think of as Lara's character. It's a small point - now I'll go back to reading some "old" media, namely, my copy of Harper's Bazaar (Russia).

A "worldwide" consensus of what the essense of Lara's character is? Just doesn't exist. I mean look at this board alone.

We can't come to an agreement of whether or not Lara could be attracted to a man, if being donned in sexy attire (evening gowns, bikinis, etc...) is acceptable, what weapons she should use, what outfits she should explore in, does she only ever explore or does she take days off and have other personal interests, does she feel fear or is she made of stone, is she a tomboy or is she a lady of style and sophistication, and hell even her hair, HER HAIR is a point of contention; just because a braid is the first style we ever saw her in, some take it as if she's locked in some sort of contract to waer it like that for the rest of her life.

And that's just within this community alone, never mind the gaming populace from around the world. :)

All that aside I sincerely would like to hear what you feel constitutes the essense of Lara's character. Genuine curiosity here. But what ever you may think it is, I can guarantee it is not held as some "world wide" standard.

I don't take this to mean that how you envision our favorite archealogist is in any way wrong, just that it isn't necessarily shared by everybody else. Not even the ones who first played the original Tomb Raider game when it made its debut.

On a tangent, this gets me to wonder if the fan groups of other series are as divided as we are when it comes to perceptions and concepts of the starring character of those games :scratch:

QiX
25th Apr 2011, 07:49
A "worldwide" consensus of what the essense of Lara's character is? Just doesn't exist. I mean look at this board alone.

We can't come to an agreement of whether or not Lara could be attracted to a man, if being donned in sexy attire (evening gowns, bikinis, etc...) is acceptable, what weapons she should use, what outfits she should explore in, does she only ever explore or does she take days off and have other personal interests, does she feel fear or is she made of stone, is she a tomboy or is she a lady of style and sophistication, and hell even her hair, HER HAIR is a point of contention; just because a braid is the first style we ever saw her in, some take it as if she's locked in some sort of contract to waer it like that for the rest of her life.

And that's just within this community alone, never mind the gaming populace from around the world. :)

All that aside I sincerely would like to hear what you feel constitutes the essense of Lara's character. Genuine curiosity here. But what ever you may think it is, I can guarantee it is not held as some "world wide" standard.

I don't take this to mean that how you envision our favorite archealogist is in any way wrong, just that it isn't necessarily shared by everybody else. Not even the ones who first played the original Tomb Raider game when it made its debut.

On a tangent, this gets me to wonder if the fan groups of other series are as divided as we are when it comes to perceptions and concepts of the starring character of those games :scratch:

I could never choose better words, you nailed it. Let me just endorse your post stating that while so many "old fans" complain that they should preserve the essence of Lara's character I say again that the GI cover pic is this exact essence. This is what Lara should have been from the very beginning and either for technical limitations or lack of better concept artists or even wrong marketing decisions it was never achieved before. After near fifteen years it was about time they found Lara's very essence, and I'm glad to finally see her. And I say this as an "old fan" myself.

Natla
25th Apr 2011, 12:24
I think the worldiwide image of Lara is kickass, grown-up, fearless, clever, independent and sexy. And good in a tomb. And not Daddy obsessed.

Greenas
25th Apr 2011, 19:52
There has been some controversy about the new Lara, but I know I'm not alone about what I love most about this reimagining; which is how much it humanizes the most iconic gaming female protagonist from her previous incarnations.

I agree completely.
Lara was losing steam because as wonderful as she was, she stuck to the bullet points that served as the foundation and inpspiration for her character.
In a modern world of games where technology is advanced enough for developers to construct truly relatable and emotional characters that appealed because they had a lot more depth than bullent points, Lara began to lose her popular vibrance.
Now CD's descision to make Lara a much more REAL person has the potential to lift her into the realm of the most believable and emotionally captivating videogame characters that exist... I sincerely hope that they can accomplish that.

WinterSoldierLTE
26th Apr 2011, 00:20
Sorry, Natla, but for the fans of the first movie who've never played a TR game ('cos those types of fans DO exist), she's very much Daddy obssesed. Blame it on Hollywood.

Natla
26th Apr 2011, 06:08
Sorry, Natla, but for the fans of the first movie who've never played a TR game ('cos those types of fans DO exist), she's very much Daddy obssesed. Blame it on Hollywood.

Those ghastly movies have a lot to answer for. Maybe as well say that the most accurate version of Batman is Adam West. However in the first TR film it was a minor plot element in one story - almost a gimmick as they cast Angelina's father, it didn't occur in the second film and I doubt even the people that watched only the first film would have come away with the impression that Lara was motivated continually in her "Tomb Raiding" by Mummy and Daddy, like some teen working through therapy. People shouldn't look at the movies with CD-tinted hindsight, IMO :).

xXTombRaiderXx
30th Apr 2011, 09:26
The new Lara is amazing i loved the old Lara but this Lara is tottally diiferent , which gives us more expirence of lara ;)

mandt
30th Apr 2011, 12:40
I think she looks too young--I'd guess 16 or so. When coupled with the character's overt sexuality, I find it a little creepy.

The traditional Lara was decidedly older and more mature looking, perhaps even a 25 to 30-something. This gave credibility to her rather extensive knowledge, physical skills, and worldliness.

Now, if you were thinking of starting a spin-off franchise, MallRaider, then I think the new Lara art would be perfect. ;) (Sorry, I just had to say it).

You guys have done a fantastic job of developing the Lara Croft model over the years. Please don't deviate so abruptly now. Instead, continue as you have, with the same model, but perhaps making her more customizeable, with more oufits (mix and match), weapons, even hair styles. Give us more flexibility as to how Lara can be detailed. But keep the character/model the same.

Just my humble two cents.

RosePetals
30th Apr 2011, 13:05
Uhm, "Mall Raider"? :scratch:

The new Lara's wearing cargo pants, layered tank tops, and combat boots, just like how a young adventurer is supposed to dress. That, and she's covered in dirt, blood, and sweat. She's even got on a guy wristwatch. :scratch:

Although it looks cool when one is stranded in a creepy Japanese island, I wouldn't be caught in a mall wearing those. :rolleyes:

And, well, she's supposed to look young anyway. This is an origins game after all. :)

No offense meant though. Everyone's entitled to his/her opinion anyway. :)

AdobeArtist
30th Apr 2011, 15:11
I think she looks too young--I'd guess 16 or so. When coupled with the character's overt sexuality, I find it a little creepy.

The traditional Lara was decidedly older and more mature looking, perhaps even a 25 to 30-something. This gave credibility to her rather extensive knowledge, physical skills, and worldliness.

Now, if you were thinking of starting a spin-off franchise, MallRaider, then I think the new Lara art would be perfect. ;) (Sorry, I just had to say it).

You guys have done a fantastic job of developing the Lara Croft model over the years. Please don't deviate so abruptly now. Instead, continue as you have, with the same model, but perhaps making her more customizeable, with more oufits (mix and match), weapons, even hair styles. Give us more flexibility as to how Lara can be detailed. But keep the character/model the same.

Just my humble two cents.

You are really missing the CONTEXT here.

This is Lara's origin story so she's supposed to be younger here. And it's been verified that she's 21 in fact, where she had been in her mid to late 30's (they never specified an exact age, keeping it rather vague) in the previous games.

And yes while a 30 something would have more credibility as an experienced adventurer with extensive knowledge and the repertoire of skills Lara possesses, this is all taking place before that established time of her life. The whole point of this is a game for us to experience how she became the strong and worldly adventurer we know her to be.

Lara is supposed to begin weak and inexperienced, but over the course of the adventure will find her inner strength and develop her skills. This is a journey of self discovery, which leads to the Lara we already know. Just that she has to start from nothing and make her way to that goal.

LC is Me
30th Apr 2011, 16:41

I don't know too many girls who would even back out of their garages in dingy, bloody clothing (much less some tanks, ripped cargo pants, and dirty boots) and even consider going to a mall. So I don't get your point. Or at least your analogy.

No way in hell I'd even go grab a bag of Skittles from a gas station looking like that.

Rhanyan
30th Apr 2011, 16:52
About Lara's hair. She is female isn't she, lol? Whenever I go for a trim, i notice a lot of ladies magazines and books that feature many different styles. Ladies do like to experiment with style of many types, including hair. So, I don't expect the same hair style to be on a female character forever.

With respect to other series, (talking about The Elder Scrolls) there is a lot of "diversity" of opinion, especially regarding changes made from one game to the next. There are those who favor some change, and those who do not tolerate change well.

Currently, hot button issues related to Skyrim (due 11-11-11) include attributes, starting theme, romance, and the ongoing cry for spears. One recurring comment is something like "...not in MY TES..."

Evolution is a natural process. Change can be disturbing for some, but without change, there is only stagnation.

Edit: Just wanted to add, I love the latest magazine cover. That image speaks volumes...

Arnar
30th Apr 2011, 17:04
I think they made a brilliant choice with Lara. This is what Lara is supposed to be, she was starting to get to fake, no person can be as smart as Lara. I'm glad that they made her boobs smaller and all the changes they have made, she's hurt and dirty. All the pictures I have seen have so much life in them, Lara Croft is now for the first time realistic! :D

WinterSoldierLTE
30th Apr 2011, 20:42
Well, as far as hair goes, I'm a male with long hair and I change it around every now and then. Braid one day, ponytail next, straight, etc. It's just something you do when you've long hair. Much like (and I mean no offense by this to anyone) short hairs get bored with their same old crew cut or whatever and go for an inch or two of length, then part that, or gel it or whatever. Hairs hair, man. You do different things with it from time to time, long or short.

phatpantz
5th May 2011, 09:16
Crystal Dynamics have redesigned Lara so she can age into her mid to late twenties as later games are made and distributed. I am glad they have made her face more realistic. Before, she had exagerrated eyes, mouth, jawline which gave her that early TR 'cartoon' style. I hope they offer the gamer more control over Lara this time in the gameplay. More like Assassins Creed II and Uncharted II. I just hope they don't slim her down even more in later games. I expect Gamers want an Angelina Jolie not a Victoria Beckham. That is, voluptuous more than skinny.

Whatever happens, I shall remain loyal to the franchise. I have been a Tomb Raider fan since birth.

jhonlukas
8th May 2011, 00:32

Yes its true, Is a good idea to refresh :cool: all the history, we just have to wait that the eidos and crystal dinamics animators will make a amazing game with the grafics and resolution that all the photos shows at the moment.

And for the question... Im agree with you

Pbrad08
11th May 2011, 23:33
Very cute, very cute indeed.