PDA

View Full Version : FFVII for PC Patches and Mods

knukk4-258681
14th Aug 2012, 21:24
anyone else having sound effects issues. music works fine but no sound effects....

omnizodd
14th Aug 2012, 23:14
I am having issues with the menu sounds and a handful of in game sounds playing at very low volume. Everything else seems normal. I have no idea what is causing this or how to fix it. Anyone else encountered this?

Sen_Auditore
14th Aug 2012, 23:16
It might need a Skyrim fix, meaing go to the properties for your default speaker, then go to advanced and for the default format, well mine is at 24 bit and 48000 Hz. That might work, give it a go.

arubino99
15th Aug 2012, 00:04
It might need a Skyrim fix, meaing go to the properties for your default speaker, then go to advanced and for the default format, well mine is at 24 bit and 48000 Hz. That might work, give it a go.

It's the game, sadly. It seems like the sound effects are trying to use multi-positional audio. Sometimes sound effects are really loud, other times barely audible. It's frankly annoying. It's something that should have been "fixed" if it were truly optimized.

I can understand using the MIDI soundtracks - despite they are an aural affront, at least they function.

Sen_Auditore
15th Aug 2012, 00:06

It's the game, sadly. It seems like the sound effects are trying to use multi-positional audio. Sometimes sound effects are really loud, other times barely audible. It's frankly annoying. It's something that should have been "fixed" if it were truly optimized.

I can understand using the MIDI soundtracks - despite they are an aural affront, at least they function.

Well the game has the ability to update so there is some hope for the future at least, I figured the Skyrim Fix might have done it but oh well. All we can do is hope for the future I suppose.

omnizodd
15th Aug 2012, 06:32
So I just made it to Kalm and discovered a "new" old problem with there being no vocal channels for the midi music--meaning One Winged Angel and the like won't have the choir. Any fix for this? I've heard about converting the original files into .ogg but I have no idea how to do this.

the_randomizer
15th Aug 2012, 11:01
So, naturally, if one decides to replace the soundtrack with the better version(s) out there, they must loop properly. While it's very easy to find out when/where the music loops, it's impossible to determine where one is to go from there. What am I supposed to do so they loop properly in game? Are there any free programs (freeware and not shareware) that would allow me to ensure that the game will loop them once I set the values? It's REALLY annoying having the songs fade out prematurely.

Quadocky
15th Aug 2012, 11:17
Audacity would be your guy (er, program). Not only is it free, its very powerful. There are some guides online on how to set loop points in audacity.

gijoesamo
15th Aug 2012, 12:38
This changes the awful midi sounds

www.gamefront.com/files/22128993/FF7+Fix... (http://www.gamefront.com/files/22128993/FF7+Fixed+Music.rar)

Just download and place all files into your C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII\data\music_ogg folder.

gijoesamo
15th Aug 2012, 12:40
www.gamefront.com/files/22128993/FF7+Fix... (http://www.gamefront.com/files/22128993/FF7+Fixed+Music.rar)

Just download and place all files into your C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII\data\music_ogg folder

member_10329136
15th Aug 2012, 12:49
do these all loop or suppose to? when I started the game the assult on the reactor song didnt loop correctly.

weezerguy
15th Aug 2012, 12:57
^^ But do they Loop????

digitoxin
15th Aug 2012, 14:21
I am currently resampling all of the Yamaha-XG midi files from Final Fantasy VII by hand. All music will be recorded through my Yamaha MU-80 and saved as 256 kbps .ogg files with proper looping. This will take me a few days, but from what I've done so far, it will be worth it.

The most difficult part seemed to be finding a program to play back the MIDI files with proper timing and that supports looping. Winamp supports looping, but the MIDI timing is off. Sampling the MIDIs with looping in place is important so the loops blend together properly. Square-Enix did not do this. They sampled the songs without looping them, so even though the loop points are correct, notes get cut off when the loop kicks in.

Update: The conversion is done.

I have personally sampled all of the Yamaha-XG MIDI files from Final Fantasy VII using my Yamaha MU-80. All files have been converted to .ogg with proper looping. Just backup and then replace all of the .ogg files in the data\music-ogg folder in the Final Fantasy VII install folder.

I also created a special version of lb2.ogg (One-Winged Angel) with vocals mixed in from the Soundblaster AWE version of the MIDI using the AWE soundfont. All files are linked below. If someone else could mirror these, it would be appreciated.

FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_256Kbps.part1.rar
www.mediafire.com/file/eyxmtgopswta5og/F... (http://www.mediafire.com/file/eyxmtgopswta5og/FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_256Kbps.part1.rar)

FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_256Kbps.part2.rar
www.mediafire.com/file/akkdlfn74cmf8yn/F... (http://www.mediafire.com/file/akkdlfn74cmf8yn/FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_256Kbps.part2.rar)

FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_256Kbps.part3.rar
www.mediafire.com/file/zyc5vjmo750eoya/F... (http://www.mediafire.com/file/zyc5vjmo750eoya/FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_256Kbps.part3.rar)

gijoesamo
15th Aug 2012, 14:42
I am currently resampling all of the Yamaha-XG midi files from Final Fantasy VII by hand. All music will be recorded through my Yamaha MU-80 and saved as 256 kbps .ogg files with proper looping. This will take me a few days, but from what I've done so far, it will be worth it.

The most difficult part seemed to be finding a program to play back the MIDI files with proper timing and that supports looping. Winamp supports looping, but the MIDI timing is off. Sampling the MIDIs with looping in place is important so the loops blend together properly. Square-Enix did not do this. They sampled the songs without looping them, so even though the loop points are correct, notes get cut off when the loop kicks in.

thanks

member_10491446
15th Aug 2012, 14:47
Definitely looking forward to seeing how this turns out. The music was a big disappointment in this release of the game.

kyuuketsuki02
15th Aug 2012, 16:04
Thanks a ton for this. The music included with the FF7PC rerelease is a huge disappointment; luckily, it's easily replaceable by the superior tracks provided by awesome people such as yourself.

Question: how does One Winged Angel sound with this? Does it have the choir effect and/or lyrics?

digitoxin
15th Aug 2012, 18:49
I haven't listened to that one yet. For the tracks with lyrics, I may have to create the .ogg files out of a combination of the XG midi and the AWE soundfont midi files if the lyrics exist there. If not, I'll have to see what I can do with the PSX tracks floating around the web. The timings on the PSX tracks are different than the midis so I cannot use the loop data from the midis on the PSX music. I would have to figure out the loop points by hand. I think the PSX tracks were made using a Winamp plugin that plays the tracks from the actual PSX disc which would explain the timing problem since the timings in Winamp are slightly off.

member_10002363
15th Aug 2012, 19:12
Forgive my ignorance, but couldn't you just use the OST - grabbing the mp3/m4a from that and converting them to .ogg?

I did this last night and it worked just fine, the hardest part was renaming the files to the respective .ogg version in the data folder. I even put some of the orchestral version in there from Distant Worlds.

digitoxin
15th Aug 2012, 19:25
If anyone is interested, here is the process I am using to convert the XG MIDIs to .oggs.

The hardware I am using for the conversion:

<ul>
Sound blaster X-Fi Titanium
Edirol UM-1EX USB MIDI Interface
Yamaha MU80 Tone Generator
[/list]

The Software:

<ul>
Audacity 2.01
WinJammer-32 (Old software, but has perfect timings on MIDI playback)
FF7 MIDI extractor
[/list]

The MU80 is connected to the line-in jack on the Sound blaster. All sampling is being done at 24-bit 48000khz.

I have Audacity set up to record from the line-in of the sound card. I have adjusted the recording volume to be as loud as possible while avoiding clipping. I tried using Sound Activated recording in Audacity, but the first few milliseconds of each song were being cut off, so I now do everything manually.

After extracting the MIDIS from the game using FF7 MIDI extractor, I load each one one at a time into WinJammer.

Using Winjammer, I view the raw MIDI data from the first track which gives me the start and stop loop times. I write these down for use later in Audacity. Since Winjammer does not natively play back with looping, I copy the MIDI data between the start and stop loop times and paste it back into the MIDI at the stop loop point so the MIDI will now loop once on playback. I then hit record in Audacity and play in WinJammer and record until the song has looped once and I have at least 5 seconds of music after the loop.

In Audacity, I trim any extra silence off of the beginning of the track. I choose the format hh:mm:ss + milliseconds from the selection fields and enter the start and stop loop times. I then add 3 seconds to each. This is important to make sure the loops sound seamless. I then do a loop play on the selected audio to make sure everything sounds right. Next, without changing the selected range, I change the selection format to samples. I make a note of these 2 numbers for later. I then trim off any extra audio after the end loop point since it is not needed. Finally, I save the track as both a .FLAC in case I need to do some more work later and a 256kbps .OGG. In the file metadata, I add entries for LoopStart and LoopEnd using the numbers I wrote down earlier.

digitoxin
15th Aug 2012, 19:27
Forgive my ignorance, but couldn't you just use the OST - grabbing the mp3/m4a from that and converting them to .ogg?

I did this last night and it worked just fine, the hardest part was renaming the files to the respective .ogg version in the data folder. I even put some of the orchestral version in there from Distant Worlds.

I tried using the OST, but the timings were different than the MIDI's. Since I cannot use the loop points from the MIDI data on the OST, I would have to figure out the loop points through trial and error by hand.

lyk13
15th Aug 2012, 21:09
Where's the LIKE button for this thread...

Had not played with a different soundfont in the past, or maybe I just have forgotten about it when I first played the game. Looking forward to hearing how different it is. From some samples on youtube, sound kinda odd/strange to me. Maybe just not used to it. =)

member_10002363
15th Aug 2012, 22:08
Basically the loop in and loop out number is just the amount of seconds into the song you want to loop times by the frequency (Hz) so if you're doing these at 48000 and you wanted to loop the track in at 10 seconds and out at 100secs, the LoopStart number woul d be 480000 and the LoopEnd number would be 4800000.

So with that in mind, there isn't much trial and error involved as long as you know the proper start and end time in seconds. This means I can go ahead and fix up my orchestral tracks from Distant Worlds into the song. Will be great for the 'main theme' map music.

Quadocky
15th Aug 2012, 22:45
Holy cow, I hope you get this done.

I am attempting to do a conversion of it going through the S-YXG50. Though it seems I am having trouble with the looping as its not something I have done before. Luckly the converted music I managed to gather up is really high quality and named properly. I just gotta figure out this looping business.

Also, MU80? Dang you are so lucky to have one of those. All I got is some dang Roland Sound Canvas.

member_10002363
15th Aug 2012, 23:40
Holy cow, I hope you get this done. I am currently making a pack of music that is a direct conversion from the S-YXG50 to mimic what the PC version should sound like. I just gotta convert the WAV data to oggs then add loops and I am all set to go. If you manage to get a complete list of loop points by song name I would be happy to know about it. I don't even know how to add loops.

Also I may be able to use the loop points you wrote down as the conversion I did is practically 1-1.

Also, MU80? Dang you are so lucky to have one of those. All I got is some dang Roland Sound Canvas.

Just add meta tags for LoopStart and LoopEnd. For the values just multiply the seconds in (or out) by whatever your sample rate is, should be 44100 by default.

Quadocky
15th Aug 2012, 23:53
Holy cow, I hope you get this done. I am currently making a pack of music that is a direct conversion from the S-YXG50 to mimic what the PC version should sound like. I just gotta convert the WAV data to oggs then add loops and I am all set to go. If you manage to get a complete list of loop points by song name I would be happy to know about it. I don't even know how to add loops.

Also I may be able to use the loop points you wrote down as the conversion I did is practically 1-1.

Just add meta tags for LoopStart and LoopEnd. For the values just multiply the seconds in (or out) by whatever your sample rate is, should be 44100 by default.

Wow thanks. This is helpful.

Matheny
16th Aug 2012, 13:14
A poster named DLPB on the Qhimm.com Forums has put together a wonderful installer program to restore the original high quality soundtrack to the pc version of FFVII. It also includes an option to install a full orchestral soundtrack!

Here's a link to the torrent of the installer:

dl.dropbox.com/u/87158028/AH.exe.torrent (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/87158028/AH.exe.torrent)

Make sure to read the Readme in the installer to install properly!

Quadocky
16th Aug 2012, 13:15
Firstly I would suggest trying this guy's project here: na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235... (/go/thread/view/139235/29324501/Yamaha_XG_Replacement_Music_now_available!)

It will most likely end up better sounding than this conversion as the MU80 is a really nice piece of hardware that has much higher quality samples than the S-YXG50 could ever produce on its own. Just to confirm, this conversion he has done renders this one redundant as its pretty much the same thing I was trying to accomplish but done MUCH much better than I could have ever hoped to do.

Anyway, the purpose of this conversion is to replicate what people would have heard if they installed the S-YXG70 software synth and used the XG MIDI data in the original release of Final Fantasy 7: Now for the PC!

I intend to make it as high as quality as possible in order to maximize the experience.

While the current re-relase soundtrack is okay, I personally prefer the XG version with the S-YXG samples over it and the original PSX version.

This project may have been done before (I have not checked) but I don't mind as I need experience in audio editing anyway.

The MU80 conversion is pretty much the same thing so I am on the fence about completing this as it would be just too confusing. Plus that conversion he has done is pretty much the best of the best possible XG conversion as it includes all the same instruments as the S-YXG50 but as a hardware synth rather than a software one.

Other Info: The S-YXG50 has the same sound engine and samples as the S-YXG70, its just missing the XGLite feature set (S-YXG20) which doesn't matter as it sounded terrible. Since Square-Enix was kind enough to include the XG MIDI data in the Re-Release I was able to convert them with the proper names quickly. Its still a mystery to me if the S-YXG70 included the 'god choir' samples for the last boss song (lb2). On that note I intend on making some sort of frankenstein version of lb2 to include the 'god choir' samples using some audio manipulation.

Project Progress:

I will be using the S-YXG50, its 4 MB soundbank, and its software to do the conversion to wav. (Done)

Then I will convert the results to the highest quality ogg file. (Done)

Then I shall add the correct loop points in the music (Work in progress, I have no previous experience doing this so it may take awhile)

Then I shall most likely release the project (Obviously after I am finished adding the loop points)

Then I shall attempt at making a sort of custom XG version of the last boss song in order to include the 'god choir' samples to replicate the PSX soundtrack version of the last boss song. (Most likely will release this as an add-on after the full conversion is released)

Project Hurdles:

The Jenova Battle music (chu2) seems a little bleh in the looping department. Rather odd considering every other song has been perfect thus far. It may just have to do with the sheer amount of noise this song contains. (May not be able to perfect this song as my techincal capacity for audio editing is not that high yet. Though the average listener could not tell while in game with all the stuff going on.)

I do not have any understudies in terms of being able to copy loop points, interestingly enough the converted XG version of some of the songs have a longer play time in comparison to the default oggs recorded from the GM soundtrack. (My only other resort would be to use the XG MIDI data as an understudy. Otherwise all the loops I make would have to be custom ones)

Shouldn't be a problem now, given the way I converted it. There is only 1 second of difference between the loop points of the XG MIDI and the converted sound file. Thus, I can replicate the loop points of the MIDI data perfectly.

Given the way I converted the music it adds exactly 1 second before and after the song. Given this I have to find a way to remove that silence at the beginning and ending of the songs without compromising the quality. (Pretty much found a way to deal with it.)

Obviously, just selecting one second of audio and cutting it does the trick.

I have to find a decent way to upload the files as it will take up around 504 MB of data unzipped. Interestingly enough this is around 1/3 the file size of the original wav source being 1.6 GB uncompressed wavs. (Workin' on it, may use dropbox or split the zips into multiple parts to upload.)

TOTAL PROGRESS: 58 out of 94 tracks. The total track amount includes the unused ones minus the sound effects. (CURRENTLY ON HOLD GIVEN THE RELEASE OF THE MU80 CONVERSION.)

Seebass616
16th Aug 2012, 13:49
In case you haven't heard, the built in charactor booster is terrible. The only thing it does is bost HP/MP/GIL to the maximum amount. You can not choose between the 3, you have to do all of them and it is irreversible. But, there is a program called black chocobo that lets you fully customize your save file. The game saves your file both in a cloud, and locally to your computer.

Here is the link for Black Chocobo:
forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=9625.0 (http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=9625.0)

To find the save file, it might be a little bit different depending on what operating system you use, but for windows 7, there is a folder in your documents folder entitled "Square Enix" go into that folder, then into the "Final Fantasy 7" folder. in the Final Fantasy 7 folder, go into the "User_xxxxxx" folder and you will see your save file. Open that up in black chocobo, and you can edit mostly anything in the game.

UPDATE: the cloud save overrides the local save. once i find away around that, i will post another reply or thread

MoonUNit
16th Aug 2012, 14:22
A poster named DLPB on the Qhimm.com Forums has put together a wonderful installer program to restore the original high quality soundtrack to the pc version of FFVII. It also includes an option to install a full orchestral soundtrack!

dl.dropbox.com/u/87158028/AH.exe.torrent (https://dl.dropbox.com/u/87158028/AH.exe.torrent)

Looks like their is more info on Anxious Hearts here:

forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12787.m... (http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12787.msg187399#msg187399)

More info on mods here too:

forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=13424.0 (http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=13424.0)

crono1973
16th Aug 2012, 14:24
...and then the cloud save overwrites your altered save file?

Seebass616
16th Aug 2012, 14:26
i actually have no idea. i've used the program on emulators, but i haven't used it on this yet. i opened up the save with black chocobo, but never saved it. i wil test that right now.

Seebass616
16th Aug 2012, 14:29
you were right, the cloud save takes priority. i will post in this thread again whenever i find a way to avoid that

Quadocky
16th Aug 2012, 14:33
I simply cannot wait to hear the final result of this project. I've always wanted an MU80 myself and to hear it play through the FF7 soundtrack would be a simply wonderful experience.

crono1973
16th Aug 2012, 14:35
Thanks.

DennyTwist-283118
16th Aug 2012, 16:26
When you speak of Final Fantasy VII PC, do you mean the downloadable version that was just released on the Square store website? Last year I bought a Yamaha MU2000 EX on Ebay from Japan, they go for about 300 to 400 bucks used. I used a 3rd party application to change the MIDI output so it would work with the module. It was awesome!! It sounded like a full orchestra, way better than even the PS1 soundtrack. But now that I'm in the process of moving, my sound module is away in storage for now :( I'm not really sure about how to convert music files. When you get those file conversions done, is there a folder where you just replace the music files with yours?

DennyTwist-283118
16th Aug 2012, 16:33
Oh nevermind, I see the music folders now. I just never looked into that before.

tir43l
16th Aug 2012, 17:01
Thanks.

Here is the way to avoid it:

1) Open up save in Black Chocobo

2) Start FF7 and get to the screen that shows the save slots (the screen right before the save selection)

3) Save your game in Black Chocobo

4) Load altered save in FF7

5) ????

6) Profit

The reasons why this works should be obvious.

danybellefeuille17@hotmail.com
16th Aug 2012, 17:03
Hi, I was wondering if there is a site that list the mods that work with the new PC release!
So far the only mod that I have found is :

It works really well and my game experience is now awesome with the real playstation FF7 music!
I have found this awesome update for the old PC version : www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e18Ay2kJE4&feat... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e18Ay2kJE4&feature=player_embedded)
I am now wondering if I can put something like this with this brand new release!!!

Thanks a lot for the answers and I hope you are enjoying this game as much as I do.

MoonUNit
16th Aug 2012, 17:23
See the post here:

na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235... (http://na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235/29320575/Heres_a_link_to_the_Ultimate_FFVII_PC_Soundtrack_Patch&post_num=2#523086357)

Seebass616
16th Aug 2012, 17:52
then you should be able to save the altered save in-game to overwrite the cloud.

Seebass616
16th Aug 2012, 17:54
and thank you james. i was looking on the square enix website for an option to disable cloud saves

tir43l
16th Aug 2012, 17:54
then you should be able to save the altered save in-game to overwrite the cloud.

Correct. However, I would still copy my saves to a different location as a backup, as you can copy paste them in after the cloud sync and get the same results.

tir43l
16th Aug 2012, 18:00

Looks like their is more info on Anxious Hearts here:

forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12787.m... (http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12787.msg187399#msg187399)

More info on mods here too:

forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=13424.0 (http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=13424.0)

Downloaded and tested. Works like a dream.

jcox2820
16th Aug 2012, 18:28
What version of orchestral FF7 music does this mod use?

jcox2820
16th Aug 2012, 18:53
So i'm a bit confused. I installed the mod with "original soundtrack," and most of the professional versions that I like. How do I choose which ones will actually play in the game, since some of them will overlap?

Tylorick
16th Aug 2012, 19:15
There is a music_ogg file. You need to make sure all of the sound files you want are in the music_ogg folder, and put that in the FINAL FANTASY VII/DATA folder, replacing the old one.

jcox2820
16th Aug 2012, 19:34
There is a music_ogg file. You need to make sure all of the sound files you want are in the music_ogg folder, and put that in the FINAL FANTASY VII/DATA folder, replacing the old one.

Seems to have done the trick. Thank you sir.

However, I'm still not sure wheter the PSX original or professional version of certain songs will play.

Tylorick
16th Aug 2012, 19:47

Seems to have done the trick. Thank you sir.

However, I'm still not sure wheter the PSX original or professional version of certain songs will play.

I can't help with that, I'm afraid. I installed the complete fan-made soundtrack, so I'm not certain how to mix and match.

lyk13
16th Aug 2012, 20:42
Not comfortable downloading an executable....

jcox2820
16th Aug 2012, 21:10

At the moment it has 32 seeds, which is impressive for such an old file. This means a number of people have tested it, and deemed it worhty to continue to upload. Also multiple users on this forum, including myself, have tried it and it's fine. I understand the reluctance to dl .exe's, but without that there would be almost no modding community, which is a thriving community of millions of users.

You could always try opening it in a sandbox-mode, or dl it and scan it before you open it.

MoonUNit
16th Aug 2012, 21:30

At the moment it has 32 seeds, which is impressive for such an old file. This means a number of people have tested it, and deemed it worhty to continue to upload. Also multiple users on this forum, including myself, have tried it and it's fine. I understand the reluctance to dl .exe's, but without that there would be almost no modding community, which is a thriving community of millions of users.

You could always try opening it in a sandbox-mode, or dl it and scan it before you open it.

Indeed. If you don't feel like running the EXE, you can always just download the music zip and run with it.

lyk13
16th Aug 2012, 21:35

Indeed. If you don't feel like running the EXE, you can always just download the music zip and run with it.

Yeap yeap, I will go the zip method. It's on the other website is it?

MoonUNit
16th Aug 2012, 21:36
Yeah, same thread, actually.

lyk13
16th Aug 2012, 21:48
Keep up the work pal.

lyk13
16th Aug 2012, 21:59
Got it. Got the rar. BTW, why is that project name called Anxious Heart...?

MoonUNit
16th Aug 2012, 21:59

It is the name of Tifa's Theme, so I guess it makes sense. Modder's choice. ;)

lyk13
16th Aug 2012, 22:04

It is the name of Tifa's Theme, so I guess it makes sense. Modder's choice. ;)

Haha thanks a bunch man. ;)

Quadocky
16th Aug 2012, 22:26
Keep up the work pal.

Thanks, I hope to have at least 20+ tracks converted by tonight.

danybellefeuille17@hotmail.com
16th Aug 2012, 23:11
Yeah it's a very good post! But it is only about the soundtrack! Here I want to see all the mods that I can get!

MoonUNit
17th Aug 2012, 00:17
Yeah it's a very good post! But it is only about the soundtrack! Here I want to see all the mods that I can get!

There is the model replacement mod listed. You can find it by searching.

member_10320720
17th Aug 2012, 10:09
Hi, I was wondering if there is a site that list the mods that work with the new PC release!
So far the only mod that I have found is :

It works really well and my game experience is now awesome with the real playstation FF7 music!
I have found this awesome update for the old PC version : www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e18Ay2kJE4&feat... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8e18Ay2kJE4&feature=player_embedded)
I am now wondering if I can put something like this with this brand new release!!!

Thanks a lot for the answers and I hope you are enjoying this game as much as I do.

thank you, original music ftw, now if only square would post the mods on launch application

Quadocky
17th Aug 2012, 17:11
I will most likely have this done by Saturday or Sunday.

lyk13
17th Aug 2012, 18:53
Rock on~

digitoxin
17th Aug 2012, 21:37
Progress Update:

All 98 tracks are sampled and trimmed. All that is left to do is add the loop points. Most loop points work perfectly using the information contained in the MIDI files. Some need to be adjusted because of popping that sometimes occurs at the loop point with some tracks. Audacity is adequate for the job, but I wish I had something more efficient for adding and testing loop points. Any suggestions?

tmors2
18th Aug 2012, 01:22
For looping, as a previous user suggested, you just need to convert the loop start and end points into samples. If you know the right times, in seconds, then just multiply them by the sample rate (likely 44100 Hz, but it depends on what you encoded them in). Shouldn't really need testing if you have the right times, which I'd recommend going out to the 100ths of a second so it's seamless. You could use WinVorbis to add the appropriate metadata tags for looping. I screenshotted how the battle theme's metadata tags look in WinVorbis: i.imgur.com/yGRnm.png (http://i.imgur.com/yGRnm.png)

digitoxin
18th Aug 2012, 02:46
For looping, as a previous user suggested, you just need to convert the loop start and end points into samples. If you know the right times, in seconds, then just multiply them by the sample rate (likely 44100 Hz, but it depends on what you encoded them in). Shouldn't really need testing if you have the right times, which I'd recommend going out to the 100ths of a second so it's seamless. You could use WinVorbis to add the appropriate metadata tags for looping. I screenshotted how the battle theme's metadata tags look in WinVorbis: i.imgur.com/yGRnm.png (http://i.imgur.com/yGRnm.png)

Its not that simple. For most of the music, the loop positions from the MIDI files work fine. For others, there is a noticable pop during the loop and I need to shift the loop slightly to fix it. I used Audacity for all my work and found a quick way to do the loops. As for the music, I'm done!!!!! Now I have to figure out how to distribute the .oggs.

digitoxin
18th Aug 2012, 02:47
I'm done!!!! Just need to convert my .flacs into .oggs do a quick test in the game and then package them up and figure out the best way to distribute them.

digitoxin
18th Aug 2012, 06:02
For those that didn't read the other thread, I have personally sampled all of the Yamaha-XG MIDI files from Final Fantasy VII using my Yamaha MU-80. All files have been converted to .ogg with proper looping. Just backup and then replace all of the .ogg files in the data\music-ogg folder in the Final Fantasy VII install folder.

I also created a special version of lb2.ogg (One-Winged Angel) with vocals mixed in from the Soundblaster AWE version of the MIDI using the AWE soundfont. All files are linked below. If someone else could mirror these, it would be appreciated.

The version of lb2.ogg in the archive is the one with vocals since this is preferred. I have also included the original without vocals. The links are below.

MediaFire has pulled down the files for a terms of service violation. Either an automated system flagged them or someone reported a copyright violation. Either way, the files are unavailable until I can find alternative hosting. Sorry :(

Update: You need all 3 files, this is a split .RAR pack.

www.mediafire.com/file/eyxmtgopswta5og/F... (http://www.mediafire.com/file/eyxmtgopswta5og/FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_256Kbps.part1.rar)

www.mediafire.com/file/akkdlfn74cmf8yn/F... (http://www.mediafire.com/file/akkdlfn74cmf8yn/FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_256Kbps.part2.rar)

www.mediafire.com/file/zyc5vjmo750eoya/F... (http://www.mediafire.com/file/zyc5vjmo750eoya/FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_256Kbps.part3.rar)

Update: Someone asked for them, so here is a split .RAR pack encoded as 500kbps.

FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_500Kbps.part1.rar
www.mediafire.com/file/as8nn26t0rr9fs1/F... (http://www.mediafire.com/file/as8nn26t0rr9fs1/FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_500Kbps.part1.rar)

FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_500Kbps.part3.rar
www.mediafire.com/file/92e43xlzn391ajc/F... (http://www.mediafire.com/file/92e43xlzn391ajc/FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_500Kbps.part2.rar)

FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_500Kbps.part3.rar
www.mediafire.com/file/vkfnxxbdbmcoyt5/F... (http://www.mediafire.com/file/vkfnxxbdbmcoyt5/FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_500Kbps.part3.rar)

FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_500Kbps.part4.rar
www.mediafire.com/file/3bz84erzr9waccp/F... (http://www.mediafire.com/file/3bz84erzr9waccp/FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_500Kbps.part4.rar)

FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_500Kbps.part5.rar
www.mediafire.com/file/1mfvtg2nd5sc6iz/F... (http://www.mediafire.com/file/1mfvtg2nd5sc6iz/FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_500Kbps.part5.rar)

JohnHeroHD-288825
18th Aug 2012, 07:32
Awesome! I wish my game would activate so I could try it out. Nevertheless, great job. Thank you!

Quadocky
18th Aug 2012, 10:37
Sweet! Thanks for making this. Really, this is not only an augmentation but most likely a straight upgrade from the glory that was the original's XG soundtrack.

I updated the link on the thread I made to point this pack of music out to people as the one I am working on is more suited to those who want to hear what the game sounded like back when it was released in 1998.

Hoooo dang, I just listened to that seperate one, whoa. I can hear the hardware quality, the intrument set seems similar to the S-YXG50 too. This is amazing. I suppose there is no need for the S-YXG50 conversion with this around as it pretty much the same but BETTER!

This is quite awkward, I mean, the music pack I was working on is pretty much redundant now, so I am afraid to release it upon the internet as I wouldn't want it confused with this one. This one you created is the best possible XG conversion that could be done.

Actually after listening to it for a bit, I realize that the S-YXG50 version still sounds unique in comparison. I will continue working on it.

CraftySloth
18th Aug 2012, 11:05
Thank you SO much for this. I downloaded the game and refused to play it until someone got the sound situation figured out and uploaded it in a way that was easy for the non-technical to digest. And thanks again for the adjustment to the One Winged Angel track. It sounds amazing and I can't wait to hear it in-game!

Thank you!!!

lyk13
18th Aug 2012, 12:32
Thanks alot!

Also, can I be educated on how these different forms of the tracks came about?

First we have the original midi, then there is alsot he PSX versions which afaik is the same as the OST version. And now, there's this Yamaha synthesizer version. I know the last one was from the original FF7 where they included with the installer but as I couldn't remember the quality back then...

So is the Yamaha version supposed to be the same as the PSX version or....?

Sorry about this haha...

Quadocky
18th Aug 2012, 13:09
Thanks alot!

Also, can I be educated on how these different forms of the tracks came about?

First we have the original midi, then there is alsot he PSX versions which afaik is the same as the OST version. And now, there's this Yamaha synthesizer version. I know the last one was from the original FF7 where they included with the installer but as I couldn't remember the quality back then...

So is the Yamaha version supposed to be the same as the PSX version or....?

Sorry about this haha...

The Original PC version had three different MIDI versions of the same soundtrack. One arranged to the GM standard, one arranged to the XG standard (Technically the best) and one arranged for the soundfont for the AWE Soundblaster cards.

The one arranged to the GM standard sounds best with sound modules that use General MIDI (127 instruments). The XG one was designed for sound modules that supported the XG standard (512 instruments, this includes sound effects like bubbles). Lastly the AWE one is basically arranged the same as the GM version so it could only use a maximum of 127 intstruments.

Another advantage that the XG soundtrack is that back in 1998 it had the highest amount of polyphony (if the S-YXG70 was configured correctly) so it sounded very very smooth and life like.

The PSX soundtrack is basically the Playstation's own 'MIDI' version but played through the Playstations built in sound chip (with custom sound samples of course). You can emulate this part of the PSX and use the sound data in the PSX version of FF7 to get an exact playback of the music, instead of a recording.

Currently all versions of the soundtracks out there are recordings or renderings of the MIDI playback as MIDI itself is not a tangible format so much a set of instructions that tell the sound module when and where to play sounds. MIDI is however tangible in the sense that it measures music in the same fashion as any other sound file.

Basically: The Yamaha XG Version is Unique. The General MIDI Version is Unique. The Soundblaster AWE Version is Unique. The PSX Version is Unique.

This conversion is done using a MU80 which is a hardware sound module that is very similar soundset wise to the S-YXG50 which is a software synth. The conversion done here SHOULD sound better than the one I am working on, but I still notice that the S-YXG50 still sounds a little different so I may end up releasing with the hope I don't confuse people.

One difference I notice between the MU80 and the S-YXG50 is the MU80 is much much cleaner sounding. The S-YXG50 produces a more Fuzzy sound.

Out of ALL the known soundtracks for FF7 I consider the XG version through any compatible sound module to be the best. Though thats just my opinion. It offers a more orchestral feel over the PSX's industrial electronic feel.

It is a little known thing, but the Cinimatics in the PC version for whatever reason use snippets from the PSX soundtrack. The ones that do include the Intro cinematic and the Ending Cinimatic. Everything else uses the in-game sountrack depending on whatever source is used.

digitoxin
18th Aug 2012, 13:36
Yeah, when I originally bought and played this game back in 1999, I had a DB50-XG which is a daughterboard card that attached to your soundblaster card or compatible. The DB50-XG had the same sample set as the Yamaha MU50. Some of the music definitely sounds different on the MU80. The MU50 and MU80 came with almost the same patch set, but the ROM size in the MU80 was double that in the MU50, so the music should sound more realistic. Also, the MU50 was limited to 32 voice polophony (some complicated instruments used more than 1 voice), while the MU80 can do 64. The MU80 was actually the original Yamaha XG device with the MU50 coming a year later as a scaled down, less expensive version. I have also tried the software synthesizers, but none of them seemed to hold up to my DB50-XG at the time. Unfortunately, not too long after I picked up this MU80, games stopped coming with MIDI soundtracks. It has been sitting in the closet gathering dust until this project came along.

Quadocky
18th Aug 2012, 13:40
Yeah, when I originally bought and played this game back in 1999, I had a DB50-XG which is a daughterboard card that attached to your soundblaster card or compatible. The DB50-XG had the same sample set as the Yamaha MU50. Some of the music definitely sounds different on the MU80. The MU50 and MU80 came with almost the same patch set, but the ROM size in the MU80 was double that in the MU50, so the music should sound more realistic. Also, the MU50 was limited to 32 voice polophony (some complicated instruments used more than 1 voice), while the MU80 can do 64. The MU80 was actually the original Yamaha XG device with the MU50 coming a year later as a scaled down, less expensive version. I have also tried the software synthesizers, but none of them seemed to hold up to my DB50-XG at the time. Unfortunately, not too long after I picked up this MU80, games stopped coming with MIDI soundtracks. It has been sitting in the closet gathering dust until this project came along.

Hah, dang, I still wish I had one of those things. Just listening to the completed work now... oh god... its so wonderful.

Thank you so much for doing this! This is like the best thing ever!

QUICK EDIT: luckly none of the songs surpass 64 polyphony so none of the sound is lost. Some do actually pass 32 though.

Sweet Jeebus, I just listened to the Highwind theme, easily twice as good as the S-YXG50 version. Whoa.

digitoxin
18th Aug 2012, 13:45
I still have my DB-50 XG in a 486 up in the closet. I pulled the machine out and hooked it up to read the contents of a 5.25 inch floppy a few weeks ago when I realized I no longer have a keyboard that can hook up to the thing.

Quadocky
18th Aug 2012, 13:49
Send this to Square-Enix (the Soundtrack conversion that is)! Tell them to package the game with this! Something anything! The legacy of the FF7 PC soundtrack must be maintained!

Quadocky
18th Aug 2012, 13:51
I still have my DB-50 XG in a 486 up in the closet. I pulled the machine out and hooked it up to read the contents of a 5.25 inch floppy a few weeks ago when I realized I no longer have a keyboard that can hook up to the thing.

Nice. I don't got anything older than an XP machine with a single core processor. That is the only requirement to get the S-YXG50 working properly with the software. Having a soundblaster audigy card doesn't hurt though.

Also is it possible to upload this soundtrack conversion onto GameFront? Or rather would it be alright if I did?

member_10689443
18th Aug 2012, 15:46
There's at least 3 sound patch versions that I found on the forums and am just wondering which would be best?

weezerguy
18th Aug 2012, 15:51
I have downloded the original PSX versions and The Yamaha remastered version. Both Sound great. If you like the original playstation sound use that. If you want to stick to MIDI, absolutly use the Yamaha version. Which ever one you want.

I am currently using a mix and match of both versions. Battle music and such i went with the Yamaha version. Theme songs and other favorites of mine, I m using original psx versions.

digitoxin
18th Aug 2012, 16:47
Please do. I'm hosting off the company server at the moment.

Pythios
18th Aug 2012, 17:13
Very awesome, all the tracks sound amazing, especially the One Winged Angel with vocals (and as someone posted earlier, I can't wait to hear it in game again). Thanks a ton for doing this.

SuperJoe-296415
18th Aug 2012, 17:25
Just came here to say - good job! I don't own the PC re-release yet, but I've downloaded the zip you provided and intend to use it if/when I do purchase it. I wanted you to know that your hard work is appreciated.

Quadocky
18th Aug 2012, 17:53
Please do. I'm hosting off the company server at the moment.

Okay dokey I will do it as soon as I can. My upload speed is pretty slow so I can only do it during the night so I don't tie up the line.

the_randomizer
18th Aug 2012, 18:02
PSX version > Square's MIDI version. The Yamaha XG Synth however is probably the best non-PSX version I've heard.

jcox2820
18th Aug 2012, 18:09
forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12787.0 (http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12787.0)

This patch lets you replace the botched sound files in the current version with the original PSX versions, but it also allows you to replace those with symphonic versions, remixes, or covers if you so choose.

After replacing all the crappy versions with the PSX originals, and as many of those as I could with real, orchestral versions, I can attest the experience is very, very enhanced.

Tylorick
18th Aug 2012, 20:18
I'm just using the Anxious Heart patch to restore the original soundtrack, as that is my preference. <3

Timmei
18th Aug 2012, 20:24
Could anyone tell me how to change the sound and music on the game, because I honestly don't have a clue where to start. But the music that comes with the game has to go. I got to the victory music the first time, cringed, and turned it off.

jcox2820
18th Aug 2012, 21:52
Could anyone tell me how to change the sound and music on the game, because I honestly don't have a clue where to start. But the music that comes with the game has to go. I got to the victory music the first time, cringed, and turned it off.

Just click the link in my post above, download the mod, install it, then locate the folder the mod created. Once you've found that replace the game's music folder with that one.

member_10525333
18th Aug 2012, 22:21
im having a problem with this music patch.. it was working fine, then i switched back to the pc music folder, and now the music goes away when other sounds happen, like scrolling through the menu, then comes back... its really annoying, anyone have an idea of a way to fix this? I tried switching folders yet again and now it happens with the anxious heart music_ogg folder too!

lyk13
18th Aug 2012, 22:53
Thanks for the explanation Quadocky and Raymond. Though it kinda gets confusing...but after playing back a couple of tracks simultaneously from the different versions, I did notice the difference...

Quadocky: Don't mind releasing yours, one more to compare...lololol.

Now we beefed up the music, the SFX though in the game needs to be improved, if anyone noticed that? That's possible right?

lyk13
18th Aug 2012, 23:00
Is this regarding the AH.exe mod? I didn't use that, I just download the PSX songs rar and replace myself. Much better that way. Just make a backup of the original music_ogg folder and replace them accordingly.

lyk13
18th Aug 2012, 23:02
im having a problem with this music patch.. it was working fine, then i switched back to the pc music folder, and now the music goes away when other sounds happen, like scrolling through the menu, then comes back... its really annoying, anyone have an idea of a way to fix this? I tried switching folders yet again and now it happens with the anxious heart music_ogg folder too!

Ok read your one on the other thread as well....

This happen to the original original music_ogg folder as well? The one that has 94 files?

lyk13
18th Aug 2012, 23:18
Raymond, quick one: I notice you have 4 ogg that are sound effects which in the original game is wav files in the music folder. Are we supposed to still place these 4 ogg in the music_ogg folder or?

Quadocky
18th Aug 2012, 23:19
Thanks for the explanation Quadocky and Raymond. Though it kinda gets confusing...but after playing back a couple of tracks simultaneously from the different versions, I did notice the difference...

Now we beefed up the music, the SFX though in the game needs to be improved, if anyone noticed that? That's possible right?

It is possible to modify any file in this game (at least in the original PC version, unsure about the Re-Release), however, I personally Enjoy the classic sound effects. In fact that its one of the reasons I really like this game. The sound effects are such a joyful mashup of modern highquality ones with the classic almost, SNES like sounds. I mean, there are hardly any games out nowadays that sound quite like this one. But that is only my opinion.

The version I was working on pretty much sounds almost the same except with less fedilty and more fuzz. The sounds are much more neutral and don't breach into the wonderful highs that the MU80 conversion does. They are however, VERY similar sounds as both use a similar soundset, its just the MU80 can use the same sounds with much better results. MUCH much better results.

So to me, the MU80 version is pretty much the best Original Sounding XG conversion because not only is it using the instruments you would have heard in the Original Original S-YXG70, it does it at least a bajillion times better than the S-YXG70 (or for that matter, the S-YXG50) ever could.

Quadocky
18th Aug 2012, 23:22
Raymond, quick one: I notice you have 4 ogg that are sound effects which in the original game is wav files in the music folder. Are we supposed to still place these 4 ogg in the music_ogg folder or?

Do not do that, the Wav Files are wavs for a reason. Those sound effects only Work as wavs. If you replace them with the Ogg Files they will not work.

Just ignore those files, they are mostly there for the sake of completeness I believe, as they are apart of the original midi soundtrack. (Kinda like the unused track, comical.)

Interestingly enough, the Original PC version featured those same wav files, so don't worry about the ogg ones in this music pack.

To repeat, Do not Replace the Wav Files.

digitoxin
18th Aug 2012, 23:43

No, they are extra. The MIDIs were there so I included them. I'm not sure if they are ever actually used or if they were used in the original release.

Quadocky
18th Aug 2012, 23:48
There's at least 3 sound patch versions that I found on the forums and am just wondering which would be best?

If you wanna hear the best PC version soundtrack then this one is your guy na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235... (/go/thread/view/139235/29324501/Yamaha_XG_Replacement_Music_now_available!)

Otherwise you can mix and match it with the PSX version if you manage to get that one.

Quadocky
18th Aug 2012, 23:49

No, they are extra. The MIDIs were there so I included them. I'm not sure if they are ever actually used or if they were used in the original release.

They were not, but they did exist in the LGP for some reason. The Original PC version featured the same wavs in a similar folder.

digitoxin
18th Aug 2012, 23:50

Do not do that, the Wav Files are wavs for a reason. Those sound effects only Work as wavs. If you replace them with the Ogg Files they will not work.

Just ignore those files, they are mostly there for the sake of completeness I believe, as they are apart of the original midi soundtrack. (Kinda like the unused track, comical.)

Interestingly enough, the Original PC version featured those same wav files, so don't worry about the ogg ones in this music pack.

I'll take those 4 sound files and package them up as wavs for anyone who wants to replace the sound effects as well.

member_10525333
19th Aug 2012, 01:16

This happen to the original original music_ogg folder as well? The one that has 94 files?

Yea it happened to both idk what was up. It was like the FX sound and Music didnt want to cooperate together lol. But I fixed it just by taking the new folder out of the FF folder. idk what the problem was it prob just wasnt loading right or something but it works now.

lyk13
19th Aug 2012, 01:25

I'll take those 4 sound files and package them up as wavs for anyone who wants to replace the sound effects as well.

That would be great! For completeness. Haha...

weven_k
19th Aug 2012, 01:27
Thanks a lot for this, the updated music is making the re-play a lot more enjoyable than the achievements. The original-sounding version on qhimm (http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12787.msg177927#msg177927) is good, but the subtle differences in this make it sound almost new!

Now there just needs to be a field bg upscale project compatible with the re-release...

lyk13
19th Aug 2012, 01:28

It is possible to modify any file in this game (at least in the original PC version, unsure about the Re-Release), however, I personally Enjoy the classic sound effects. In fact that its one of the reasons I really like this game. The sound effects are such a joyful mashup of modern highquality ones with the classic almost, SNES like sounds. I mean, there are hardly any games out nowadays that sound quite like this one. But that is only my opinion.

The version I was working on pretty much sounds almost the same except with less fedilty and more fuzz. The sounds are much more neutral and don't breach into the wonderful highs that the MU80 conversion does. They are however, VERY similar sounds as both use a similar soundset, its just the MU80 can use the same sounds with much better results. MUCH much better results.

So to me, the MU80 version is pretty much the best Original Sounding XG conversion because not only is it using the instruments you would have heard in the Original Original S-YXG70, it does it at least a bajillion times better than the S-YXG70 (or for that matter, the S-YXG50) ever could.

Understood.

For the SFX though, what I noticed is that, it has the same kind of treatment as the original music that we so happily replace. It kinda has the surround sound treatment and audio will sound on the left and softer at times as to the right depending on your position. So that gave me the impression that it is of lesser 'quality' as it's kinda like the 'inferior' original music that we have...

Wonder if I make any sense though...

lyk13
19th Aug 2012, 01:30

Yea it happened to both idk what was up. It was like the FX sound and Music didnt want to cooperate together lol. But I fixed it just by taking the new folder out of the FF folder. idk what the problem was it prob just wasnt loading right or something but it works now.

At least you fixed it. Enjoy the game pal. :P

lyk13
19th Aug 2012, 01:31

Mix and matching is going to be so much fun...

Quadocky
19th Aug 2012, 10:14

Understood.

For the SFX though, what I noticed is that, it has the same kind of treatment as the original music that we so happily replace. It kinda has the surround sound treatment and audio will sound on the left and softer at times as to the right depending on your position. So that gave me the impression that it is of lesser 'quality' as it's kinda like the 'inferior' original music that we have...

Wonder if I make any sense though...

I believe that has to do more with the way the game actually plays the sounds files in the game, not nesscarily the files themselves.

Final Fantasy 7 on the PC as a game engine uses positional audio techniques to mimic a more stereo feeling. Such as during a battle, if Cloud attacks an enemy on the left side of the screen, you would hear the slice noise on the left speaker, or more towards it.

However, I have not listened to the original original PC version in a while, so I cannot say for sure if they updated the sound engine in the game.

I mean I personally don't remember it being any different than it is now in terms of SFX quality and how the game interprits the SFX.

IanHaven
19th Aug 2012, 12:14
This is amazing! Thank you so much... I still can't download the game (the download is still not available...) but I'm really looking forward to using your audio. I was just listening some of the tracks and they almost moved me to tears.

member_10381117
19th Aug 2012, 13:55
Does anyone know if a patch has been made for Final Fantasy 7 PC to replace the music with Final FanTim's remastered soundtrack? That one is my favorite.

lyk13
19th Aug 2012, 15:07
I believe that has to do more with the way the game actually plays the sounds files in the game, not nesscarily the files themselves.

Final Fantasy 7 on the PC as a game engine uses positional audio techniques to mimic a more stereo feeling. Such as during a battle, if Cloud attacks an enemy on the left side of the screen, you would hear the slice noise on the left speaker, or more towards it.

However, I have not listened to the original original PC version in a while, so I cannot say for sure if they updated the sound engine in the game.

I mean I personally don't remember it being any different than it is now in terms of SFX quality and how the game interprits the SFX.

Maybe the problem for me is, not used to 5.1 positioning audio so it came off rather 'soft' haha...

G.Wicks
19th Aug 2012, 15:52
First of all, thank you!

I noticed that these replacement files are .ogg, so I tried replacing them with my own .ogg files of other songs (to make a custom soundtrack). My custom tracks play, but unfortunately won't loop, so I made sure the tracks were exact length as the originals, and still they won't loop. How did you get your files (the ones you uploaded) to loop perfectly?

Quadocky
19th Aug 2012, 16:11
I uploaded it onto Rapidshare is that okay? Here are the links (they are the high quality version)

rapidshare.com/files/1725177719/FF7PC_Mu... (https://rapidshare.com/files/1725177719/FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_256Kbps.rar)

rapidshare.com/files/1603357376/FF7PC_Mu... (https://rapidshare.com/files/1603357376/FF7PC_Music_lb2withvocals_256kbps.rar)

Gamefront kept timing out on me so I couldn't complete the upload.

member_10233984
19th Aug 2012, 16:15
Quick question, just to make sure I'm not missing something... the first download has all of the files, and the 2nd and 3rd downloads are only partial archives with some of the files in each? So I only need the first one, yes?

member_10494588
19th Aug 2012, 16:29
First of all, thank you!

I noticed that these replacement files are .ogg, so I tried replacing them with my own .ogg files of other songs (to make a custom soundtrack). My custom tracks play, but unfortunately won't loop, so I made sure the tracks were exact length as the originals, and still they won't loop. How did you get your files (the ones you uploaded) to loop perfectly?

Did you add LOOPSTART and LOOPEND tags to your custom OGG's? That's all that should be needed.

I actually have a question for the OP as well regarding loops, but more, what software was used to do this? I was working on the same thing, but the tracks I have were led by silence more often than not, and finding the new loop points was a technical painstaking task. Downloading this now to compare, but before it finishes, I'm curious. How did you adjust the loops for any different timings. There were af ew songs that even felt like the tempo was ever so slightly different.

digitoxin
19th Aug 2012, 16:35
Quick question, just to make sure I'm not missing something... the first download has all of the files, and the 2nd and 3rd downloads are only partial archives with some of the files in each? So I only need the first one, yes?

You need all 3 files. This is a split .RAR archive. Media file has a file size restrictuon so I have to split the archive into 3 parts. When you use WinRAR to extract the first archive, it will automatically extract from all 3.

digitoxin
19th Aug 2012, 16:47
First of all, thank you!

Did you add LOOPSTART and LOOPEND tags to your custom OGG's? That's all that should be needed.

I actually have a question for the OP as well regarding loops, but more, what software was used to do this? I was working on the same thing, but the tracks I have were led by silence more often than not, and finding the new loop points was a technical painstaking task. Downloading this now to compare, but before it finishes, I'm curious. How did you adjust the loops for any different timings. There were af ew songs that even felt like the tempo was ever so slightly different.

I used Winjammer Profressional to process the MIDI files and extract the loop points. I then played back all of the MIDI files back to back with a 15 second delay between tracks using the Winjammer Player. Each track was looped once during playback.

I used Audacity 2.01 for sampling. I recorded all of the tracks at once and then split the recording into multiple files at the silent points. I then used another program (can't remember the name at the moment) to batch process the audio files and remove extra silence from the beginning and end of the tracks.

At this point, I had a matching set of .wav files for each MIDI file. The next step was to add the loop points.

For most of the tracks, the loop points from the MIDI files matched up perfectly. For the others, I maintained the exact length of the loop but shifted its position in the song to prevent and pops or other anomalies that prevented the loop from sounding seamless. I used Audacity exclusively for testing and applying the loop points.

The loop points are specific to the set of MIDI files they came from. The loop points from the XG MIDI files are not necessarily compatible with the ones from the General Midi versions and vice-versa. They are definitely not compatible with the different versions of the soundtrack floating around the net.

Quadocky
19th Aug 2012, 16:56
First of all, thank you!

You have to add the loop points by editing the metadata of the sound file. You can modify the metadata in a program like Audacity. However you have to set the loop points by sound sample for it to work.

You can use the original music that comes with the game as a way to understand how to configure the metadata properly. (Do not use the same sample numbers though, as they are unique to that song specifically. What you are looking for are the LoopStart and LoopEnd entries just as an example of what they look like)

So for example, open the bat.ogg in Audacity, go to File and click the 'Open Metadata Editor' option. A new window should pop up showing things like "Artist name, track title, album title, etc." Near the bottom you should notice entries called "LoopStart" and "LoopEnd" with some seemingly random numbers next to them. Those numbers are actually a measurement in terms of sound samples instead of seconds, minutes or frames.

Audacity can interprit all those measurments for you. If you notice near the bottom of the Audacity interface you should see "Project Rate (hz), Selection Start, End, Length and Audio Position with some blue numbers under them.

For a basic tutorial I am going to attempt to loop the battle music from The Last Remnant. (Given the nature of the song, I am going to make it loop from beginning to end)

1. Load the song in Audacity.

2. Find the Exact Sound sample at the end of the song by highlighting (by clicking where my pointer is) the sound file: i.imgur.com/Kx72y.png (http://i.imgur.com/Kx72y.png)

This should show the beginning and end of the song.

3. Showing it by Sound Sample: i.imgur.com/CKSa7.png (http://i.imgur.com/CKSa7.png)

4. Observe the Sample Number: i.imgur.com/0KegM.png (http://i.imgur.com/0KegM.png)

5. Open the Metadata Editor: i.imgur.com/aTUnt.png (http://i.imgur.com/aTUnt.png)

6. Edit the Metadata with the Proper Entries: i.imgur.com/JXTl7.png (http://i.imgur.com/JXTl7.png)

7. That should do it. Just re-name it whatever FF7 song you ment to replace and put in it the Music_ogg folder.

Keep in mind that if the song has a lead in of silence you would have to cut that part in order to maintain a instant loop without delay. But that only happens if you loop from the beginning of a song without modifying it first.

Quadocky
19th Aug 2012, 17:09
Also in case if it was missed, here is a mirror of that conversion on Rapidshare.

Here are the links (they are the high quality version)

rapidshare.com/files/1725177719/FF7PC_Mu... (https://rapidshare.com/files/1725177719/FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_256Kbps.rar)

rapidshare.com/files/1603357376/FF7PC_Mu... (https://rapidshare.com/files/1603357376/FF7PC_Music_lb2withvocals_256kbps.rar)

digitoxin
19th Aug 2012, 19:14
For those of you experimenting with looping digital audio, here is something to keep in mind. Looping a MIDI and looping a digital audio file will give different results. If you take a MIDI file with a simple loop that loops from the end of the midi back to the beginning and try to replicate the loop in an exact digital recording of that MIDI, you may discover that the digital version will not have a smooth transition during the loop. Here is an explanation as to why this occurs.

Lets say, for example, that your song ends in a cymbal crash. As you know, when a cymbal is struck, its sound continues to play for some time afterwards. Many instruments exhibit this same effect. In a MIDI, when looping, the cymbal crash will continue to play until finished after the song has looped and started over. The same with any other instrument that has a decay. If you try to apply this same loop to a digital recording, those sounds will abruptly end as the loop starts instead of blending with the rest of the music.

To solve this problem, I sampled all of my MIDI files with the song looping once. I then shifted my loop point to the point of the first loop in the digital audio instead of at the beginning. As an example, if I had a MIDI that was 1 min 10 sec in length and looped back to the beginning at the 1 min 0 sec point, my recording of the MIDI would be 2 min 10 sec (the length of the original, plus one loop) and I would set my loop start at the 1 min 0 sec mark instead of the beginning. The result is a seamless loop without any notes being cut off.

Timmei
19th Aug 2012, 23:56
With this recent release, I have finally decided that I want to try some of the many mods available online. Question is, whuch ones to use? I have cycled through quite a few, from complete overhauls to battle or field sprites. Does anyone have any reccomendations, because I am eager to try pretty much anything that updates the graphics!

I already have music found, so no worries on that. I like the OST as pure as it can possibly be, because it brings back great memories! Might as well not fix what isn't broken, right? :)

ZeusESP
20th Aug 2012, 00:48
I am also interested in this! i just downloaded the re-release and im thinking about trying out some of these mods I've heard about. But I'm wondering if these mods are going to conflict with this re release version i have :O

canning
20th Aug 2012, 00:53
Is there a thread or a section that tells you exactly how to do this? I have no idea what im doing and I really dont want to mess my game up...anyone care to help?

weven_k
20th Aug 2012, 01:02
Have a look on this qhimm thread (http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=13424.0)

the_randomizer
20th Aug 2012, 01:36
Too bad there's no insight as to whether or not a mod could be made for the in-battle menu/ATB. It would be so the menu could run at its normal speed like in the PSX version.

lyk13
20th Aug 2012, 01:49
Is there a thread or a section that tells you exactly how to do this? I have no idea what im doing and I really dont want to mess my game up...anyone care to help?

Just replace the ogg files with the ones in music_ogg folder. Make a backup of your original music_ogg folder though. it's really easy as that.

Pio3D
20th Aug 2012, 11:48
guys for this version of FFVII (online version bought 2 days ago) is there a way to make it in Italian /tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-cool.gif

m3rc1l3ss
20th Aug 2012, 12:11
Now this is how it should sound. After listening to this what shipped with the game really sounds rather horrible.

I guess now I need to start from the beginning again...

Since we have awesome music, now, is there any way to improve the sound effects easily? The running sound when a player attacks with a melee weapon has been bugging me greatly.

Timmei
20th Aug 2012, 12:51
Too bad there's no insight as to whether or not a mod could be made for the in-battle menu/ATB. It would be so the menu could run at its normal speed like in the PSX version.

I have realized that battles are much slower. Without changing anything in the battle speed, I got attacked by the MPs at least two times apiece before I could win. That's the first battle, and I never remember that happening in the original. As long as it doesn't start to kill me later on in the game, I think I'll be okay with it though. Maybe it will make the strategy a little harder. :)

canning
20th Aug 2012, 13:11
ok, next question is where do i go to find the ogg files... the only files i see are two .bin files and the final fantasy application itself. Im really new to this kind of thing but this music is driving me crazy, especially the boss battle track lol

lyk13
20th Aug 2012, 14:03
ok, next question is where do i go to find the ogg files... the only files i see are two .bin files and the final fantasy application itself. Im really new to this kind of thing but this music is driving me crazy, especially the boss battle track lol

What you are seeing is the installer. It's in your program files/square enix.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII\data

t1gerdog
20th Aug 2012, 15:24
This is awesome! Thanks

the_randomizer
20th Aug 2012, 19:32
I have realized that battles are much slower. Without changing anything in the battle speed, I got attacked by the MPs at least two times apiece before I could win. That's the first battle, and I never remember that happening in the original. As long as it doesn't start to kill me later on in the game, I think I'll be okay with it though. Maybe it will make the strategy a little harder. :)

I think it has to do how often it draws the frame; the PSX draws it every frame where the PC version draws it every other frame, halving the framerate. I signed up for the Qhimm forums and the people there don't respond very frequently. I think they're working on a mod, but I don't know for sure.

Timmei
20th Aug 2012, 20:38
One can only hope, because the battle speed does get slightly annoying after playing for a while. I think I would like to find some graphics mods before I worry about the ATB though. I just need to look a little more, because I'm sure there has to be one out there that works for the re-release!

tir43l
20th Aug 2012, 20:43
forums.qhimm.com/ (http://forums.qhimm.com/) is the place to go for all your mod needs. A lot of the older mods work with the newer release.

lyk13
20th Aug 2012, 21:21
Sidetrack: Does anyone have the list for which ogg track is which track from the OST? I remember coming across it somewhere but cannot remember exactly where...thanks in advance!

MonkeyJamboree
20th Aug 2012, 21:28
Thank you soooo much, OP, for this! <3

Mysticales
20th Aug 2012, 21:35
Thank you for this. I was wondering if we wouldve had updated Yamaha sound or not. I loved it on my orig cd which came with that installer. Made my Final Fantasy 6 midis sound much better too. Should indeed send this in to Sqaure to package for us. As its a vital part.

Timmei
20th Aug 2012, 21:49
forums.qhimm.com/ (http://forums.qhimm.com/) is the place to go for all your mod needs. A lot of the older mods work with the newer release.

I haven't really found any that work as of yet... I know one I was particularly interested in is not supported, but that's alright. I need do look around some more! It seems like Qhimm is the best place to look for mods so far!! :)

member_10289442
20th Aug 2012, 22:03
FF7 Unified Model Installer works. Also you can get better soundtracks. Other than that I don't know.</pre>

tir43l
20th Aug 2012, 22:10
A lot of mods require a certain custom driver in order to work correctly. I believe the forum index for qhimm has it listed somewhere.

Quadocky
20th Aug 2012, 22:43
Sidetrack: Does anyone have the list for which ogg track is which track from the OST? I remember coming across it somewhere but cannot remember exactly where...thanks in advance!

I did not make the post originally but I copied it because I knew it would get lost.

[spoiler]aseri - 107 Hurry!
aseri2 - 408 Hurry, Faster!
ayasi - 108 Lurking in the Darkness
barret - 106 Barret's Theme
bat - 110 Fighting
bee - 116 Honeybee Manor
bukojo - 205 Farm Boy
boo - 302 Life Stream
cannon - 412a The Mako Cannon Fires!
canyon - 301 Cosmo Canyon
cephiros - 305 Those Chosen by the Planet
chase - 122 Crazy Motorcycle
chu - 120 Still More Fighting
chu2 - 214 J-E-N-O-V-A
cinco - 208 Cinco De Chocobo
cintro - Shinra Mansion
comical - ???
condor - 210 Fortress of the Condor
corel - 218 Mining Town
corneo - 118 Don of the Slums
costa - 216 Costa del Sol
crlost - 314 Tango of Tears
crwin - 313 A Great Success
date - 316 Interrupted by Fireworks
dokubo - 114 Underneath the Rotting Pizza
dun2 - 209 Chasing the Black-caped Man
earis - 319 Aeris' Theme
earislo - 112 Flowers Blooming in the Church
elec - 207 Electric de Chocobo
fan2 - 111 Fanfare
fanfare - ????
fiddle - 312 Fiddle de Chocobo
fin - 417 World Crisis
geki - 315 Debut
gold1 - 219 Gold Saucer
guitar - 407 On ther Other side of the Mountain
gun - 401 Shinra Army Wages a Full-Scale Attack
hen - 323 Who Am I?
hiku - 403 The Highwind Takes to the Skies
horror - 213 Trail of Blood
iseki - 318 You Can Hear the Cry of the Planet
jukai - 317 Forested Temple
junon - 406 Off the Edge of Despair
jyro - 308 Steal the Tiny Bronco!
ketc - 220 Cait Sith's Theme
kita - 321 The Great Northern Cave
Kurai - 104 Anxious Heart
lb1 - 415 The Birth of a God
lb2 - 416 One Winged Angel
ld - 413 Judgement Day
makoro - 103 Mako Reactor
mati - 202 Ahead on Our Way
mekyu - 322 Reunion
mogu - Highwind Short Theme (WTF?)
mura1 - 405 Parochial Town
nointro - Those Chosen by the Planet (no intro version)
oa - 102 Opening
ob - 102 Bombing Mission (these will be separated)
odds - 311 Racing Chocobos - Place Your Bets!
over2 - 215 Continue
parade - 211 Rufus' Welcoming Ceremony
pj - 414 J-E-N-O-V-A Absolute
pre - 101 Prelude
red - 121 Red XIII's Theme
rhythm - 113 Turk's Theme
riku - 412b The Mako Cannon Fires!
ro - 410 The Countdown Begins
rocket - 115 Oppressed People
roll - 418 Staff Roll
rukei - 221 Sandy Badlands
sadbar - 217 Mark of the Traitor
sadsid - 409 Sending a Dream into the Universe
sea - 404 A Secret, Sleeping in the Sea
seto - 303 Great Warrior
si - 412d The Mako Cannon Fires!
sid2 - 307 Cid's Theme
sido - 212 It's Difficult to Stand on Both Feet, Isn't It
siera - 411 If You Open Your Heart...
sinra - 109 Shinra Corporation
sinralo - 119 Infiltrating Shinra Tower
snow - 320 Buried in the Snow
ta - 201 Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII
tb - 201 Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII (during Cloud's Flashback)
tender - 123 Holding My Thoughts in my Heart
tifa - 105 Tifa's Theme
tm - 204 On That Day, 5 Years Ago
utai - 209 Wutai
vincent - 306 The Nightmare's Beginning
walz - 206 Waltz de Chocobo
weapon - 402 Weapon Raid
yado - 203 Good Night
yufi - 304 Descendant of Shinobi
yufi2 - 310 Stolen Materia
yume - 117 Who Are You?[/Spolier]

lyk13
20th Aug 2012, 22:51

I did not make the post originally but I copied it because I knew it would get lost.

[spoiler]aseri - 107 Hurry!
aseri2 - 408 Hurry, Faster!
ayasi - 108 Lurking in the Darkness
barret - 106 Barret's Theme
bat - 110 Fighting
bee - 116 Honeybee Manor
bukojo - 205 Farm Boy
boo - 302 Life Stream
cannon - 412a The Mako Cannon Fires!
canyon - 301 Cosmo Canyon
cephiros - 305 Those Chosen by the Planet
chase - 122 Crazy Motorcycle
chu - 120 Still More Fighting
chu2 - 214 J-E-N-O-V-A
cinco - 208 Cinco De Chocobo
cintro - Shinra Mansion
comical - ???
condor - 210 Fortress of the Condor
corel - 218 Mining Town
corneo - 118 Don of the Slums
costa - 216 Costa del Sol
crlost - 314 Tango of Tears
crwin - 313 A Great Success
date - 316 Interrupted by Fireworks
dokubo - 114 Underneath the Rotting Pizza
dun2 - 209 Chasing the Black-caped Man
earis - 319 Aeris' Theme
earislo - 112 Flowers Blooming in the Church
elec - 207 Electric de Chocobo
fan2 - 111 Fanfare
fanfare - ????
fiddle - 312 Fiddle de Chocobo
fin - 417 World Crisis
geki - 315 Debut
gold1 - 219 Gold Saucer
guitar - 407 On ther Other side of the Mountain
gun - 401 Shinra Army Wages a Full-Scale Attack
hen - 323 Who Am I?
hiku - 403 The Highwind Takes to the Skies
horror - 213 Trail of Blood
iseki - 318 You Can Hear the Cry of the Planet
jukai - 317 Forested Temple
junon - 406 Off the Edge of Despair
jyro - 308 Steal the Tiny Bronco!
ketc - 220 Cait Sith's Theme
kita - 321 The Great Northern Cave
Kurai - 104 Anxious Heart
lb1 - 415 The Birth of a God
lb2 - 416 One Winged Angel
ld - 413 Judgement Day
makoro - 103 Mako Reactor
mati - 202 Ahead on Our Way
mekyu - 322 Reunion
mogu - Highwind Short Theme (WTF?)
mura1 - 405 Parochial Town
nointro - Those Chosen by the Planet (no intro version)
oa - 102 Opening
ob - 102 Bombing Mission (these will be separated)
odds - 311 Racing Chocobos - Place Your Bets!
over2 - 215 Continue
parade - 211 Rufus' Welcoming Ceremony
pj - 414 J-E-N-O-V-A Absolute
pre - 101 Prelude
red - 121 Red XIII's Theme
rhythm - 113 Turk's Theme
riku - 412b The Mako Cannon Fires!
ro - 410 The Countdown Begins
rocket - 115 Oppressed People
roll - 418 Staff Roll
rukei - 221 Sandy Badlands
sadbar - 217 Mark of the Traitor
sadsid - 409 Sending a Dream into the Universe
sea - 404 A Secret, Sleeping in the Sea
seto - 303 Great Warrior
si - 412d The Mako Cannon Fires!
sid2 - 307 Cid's Theme
sido - 212 It's Difficult to Stand on Both Feet, Isn't It
siera - 411 If You Open Your Heart...
sinra - 109 Shinra Corporation
sinralo - 119 Infiltrating Shinra Tower
snow - 320 Buried in the Snow
ta - 201 Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII
tb - 201 Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII (during Cloud's Flashback)
tender - 123 Holding My Thoughts in my Heart
tifa - 105 Tifa's Theme
tm - 204 On That Day, 5 Years Ago
utai - 209 Wutai
vincent - 306 The Nightmare's Beginning
walz - 206 Waltz de Chocobo
weapon - 402 Weapon Raid
yado - 203 Good Night
yufi - 304 Descendant of Shinobi
yufi2 - 310 Stolen Materia
yume - 117 Who Are You?[/Spolier]

Thanks pal! :)

SuperJoe-296415
21st Aug 2012, 06:20

I tried to upload to Gamefront as well, but their uploader keeps throwing a 500 error. Once they fix their uploader, I'll have a mirror of the files there as well.

I downloaded the 256kbps version when you first released it, and I noticed you now have some new links. I just wanted to double check whether or not they are the same content - do I have to redownload it because it's a newer version, or is it simply a repackaging? Thanks.

digitoxin
21st Aug 2012, 09:14

I tried to upload to Gamefront as well, but their uploader keeps throwing a 500 error. Once they fix their uploader, I'll have a mirror of the files there as well.

I downloaded the 256kbps version when you first released it, and I noticed you now have some new links. I just wanted to double check whether or not they are the same content - do I have to redownload it because it's a newer version, or is it simply a repackaging? Thanks.

Same content, different packaging.

The_Cogglesz
21st Aug 2012, 12:21
This is beautiful Raymond, many thanks for this.

member_10687667
21st Aug 2012, 13:11
Thank you so much for doing this! Great job! http://na.square-enix.com/tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-wink.gif

Quadocky
21st Aug 2012, 13:24
Its probably an audiophile dream of mine but is there any chance for a Maximum Quality OGG version release of this conversion? It would probably add a hundred extra megabytes to the overall package but, in the first place I am wondering if this could be done easily.

I mean currently there is not really so much of a difference, but still, I feel like I gotta somehow squeeze every ounce of sweet sweet sound juices from this.

WarDrake_
21st Aug 2012, 15:23
FF7 Unified Model Installer works. Also you can get better soundtracks. Other than that I don't know.</pre>

How did you get this to work? it does nothing for me after i installed it...

digitoxin
21st Aug 2012, 15:33
Its probably an audiophile dream of mine but is there any chance for a Maximum Quality OGG version release of this conversion? It would probably add a hundred extra megabytes to the overall package but, in the first place I am wondering if this could be done easily.

I mean currently there is not really so much of a difference, but still, I feel like I gotta somehow squeeze every ounce of sweet sweet sound juices from this.

I saved all of the original .flac files and the original .flac files have the loop points so it is just a matter of creating a new set of .ogg files and uploading. I'll see what I can do.

G.Wicks
21st Aug 2012, 15:42
First of all, thank you!

Ah! I did not. How is this done? Can you recommend an audio conversion program that allows me to convert to ogg? I've just been using internet conversion sites, that let you uplaod mp3 and converts to ogg. If you can direct me to a site that can explain how to implement loopstart and loopend tags in custom OGG's, I'd appreciate it! I couldn't find any info on google.

Quadocky
21st Aug 2012, 17:40

I saved all of the original .flac files and the original .flac files have the loop points so it is just a matter of creating a new set of .ogg files and uploading. I'll see what I can do.

I would be eternally grateful if you manage to do so.

Quadocky
21st Aug 2012, 17:56
First of all, thank you!

Ah! I did not. How is this done? Can you recommend an audio conversion program that allows me to convert to ogg? I've just been using internet conversion sites, that let you uplaod mp3 and converts to ogg. If you can direct me to a site that can explain how to implement loopstart and loopend tags in custom OGG's, I'd appreciate it! I couldn't find any info on google.

Audacity can be used to convert audio and to edit the metadata to add loop points.

But if you cannot currently play back ogg files on a conventional media player it would be a good idea to download the codec here: www.vorbis.com/ (http://www.vorbis.com/)

digitoxin
22nd Aug 2012, 00:04

I have added links to the 500kbps .ogg files to the original post.

MagnusHydra
22nd Aug 2012, 00:43
I have done the following memory mods and will be making a clickable program:
AP after battle
EXP after battle
Gp after battle
Time (00.00.00-99.99.99)
Save anywhere
No random battles
GP amount
BP amount
Max amount
Full menu control
Max Cloud's stats
All Limits for Cloud
Cloud's Weapon (can change to whatever)
Cloud's Armlet (can change to whatever)
Cloud's Accessory (can change to whatever)
Max Barret's stats
All Limits for Barret's
Barret's Weapon (can change to whatever)
Barret's Armlet (can change to whatever)
Barret's Accessory (can change to whatever)
Character 1 battle timer (set to ff for the ability to always attack)
Character 2 battle timer
Character 3 battle timer
Character 1 limit bar (set ff to Always have limit bar full)
Character 2 limit bar
Character 3 limit bar
Item 1 after battle
Item 1
More to come

Edit:
Black Chocobo works on the save files thanx to the user Buzzfly the save files are found at:
C:\Users\(you computersname)\Documents\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII\user_######

Quadocky
22nd Aug 2012, 01:00

I have added links to the 500kbps .ogg files to the original post.

You are a saint.

member_10289442
22nd Aug 2012, 01:51

How did you get this to work? it does nothing for me after i installed it...

When installing UMI make sure to install directly to the root of the Final Fantany VII install folder. C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII. C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII/New Folder is what it wants to default install too. If that doesn't work then I don't know.

digitoxin
22nd Aug 2012, 14:13
MediaFire has pulled down the files for a terms of service violation. Either an automated system flagged them or someone reported a copyright violation. Either way, the files are unavailable until I can find alternative hosting. Sorry :(

Zpiritual-315304
22nd Aug 2012, 15:31
Aaw. I only got the first part and came here for the rest after doing a side by side comparison :(

Hope you'll find a replacement host soon :)

Quadocky
22nd Aug 2012, 23:38

Oh noooo! This is terrible!

The glorious majesty must live on.

How about Rapid Share?

I still have the 256kbs version uploaded on there. (At your discretion of course.)

This is absolutely fair-use. If it was the actual game files being redistrubuted then it would not be. I don't see the problem.

member_10199944
23rd Aug 2012, 00:46
Glad these are here... I thought my ears would start bleeding with the victory fanfare Square tried to use with this. You'd think after 13 or 14 years Square would re-sample those MIDI tracks with a better instrument set, wouldn't you?

edit: that said, there are a few tracks where I prefer the original PSX version, would I be safe using .ogg files for those instead? (particularly One-Winged Angel, the vocals seem a bit too loud IMO)

member_10239333
23rd Aug 2012, 01:03

I still have the 256kbs version uploaded on there. (At your discretion of course.)

This is absolutely fair-use. If it was the actual game files being redistrubuted then it would not be. I don't see the problem.

Thanks! I didnt make a backup last time and reinstalled the game so I lost the music. /tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-cool.gif

t1gerdog
23rd Aug 2012, 10:02
Glad these are here... I thought my ears would start bleeding with the victory fanfare Square tried to use with this. You'd think after 13 or 14 years Square would re-sample those MIDI tracks with a better instrument set, wouldn't you?

edit: that said, there are a few tracks where I prefer the original PSX version, would I be safe using .ogg files for those instead? (particularly One-Winged Angel, the vocals seem a bit too loud IMO)

That's what I did, just over-write the songs you want to change.

osgZach
25th Aug 2012, 15:07
Is there a guide out there that explains how to encode a source to OGG and setup loop points? I appreciate what you have done with these files, and I have them for listening, but I really want to replace the OGG files with my OST Album tracks, because it is the version I will always prefer.

I have no experience with Vorbis, since I'm a FLAC junky, so any info you can provide would be appreciated.

I'm aware of the PSF patch and have used it in the past (no idea if it works with this version of the game) but I'd much rather do it this way then have to mess with mods/hacks, etc.

AskaLangly
25th Aug 2012, 21:23
Rapidshare? Are you nuts? I can hardly download from there! 2 seconds, then see 0.0kbps for 30 seconds. Needs MediaFire yet again...

Quadocky
27th Aug 2012, 18:33
Rapidshare? Are you nuts? I can hardly download from there! 2 seconds, then see 0.0kbps for 30 seconds. Needs MediaFire yet again...

Dang realy? I was getting good speed last time I checked.

Well I will try gamefront again tonight. I really want this to live on. Just as long as Raymond is okay with it.

I will try to upload the highest quality one.

AskaLangly
27th Aug 2012, 20:16

Well I will try gamefront again tonight. I really want this to live on. Just as long as Raymond is okay with it.

Thanks man. I was going after part 1 and I was getting ~50kbps. Then, the above occurred, with downloading for a few seconds, then staying at no download speed at all for even longer.

member_10329136
27th Aug 2012, 21:02
www.coreag.com/downloads/ff7/FF7PC_Music... (http://www.coreag.com/downloads/ff7/FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_256Kbps.rar)

www.coreag.com/downloads/ff7/FF7PC_Music... (http://www.coreag.com/downloads/ff7/FF7PC_Music_lb2withvocals_256kbps.rar)

I put it up on my site until a new perminate host can be found.

Quadocky
28th Aug 2012, 00:32

Thanks man. I was going after part 1 and I was getting ~50kbps. Then, the above occurred, with downloading for a few seconds, then staying at no download speed at all for even longer.

Dang you were right, rapidshare only offers 30kbs download speeds since the file is tied to a free account.

Quadocky
28th Aug 2012, 11:11
Okay the Maximum Quality (500Kbs) version is uploaded onto gamefront in five parts. (Includes the Special LB2 version by default)

Since this is a multipart archive you must download them all, then unrar part one and it should act as a complete rar.

www.gamefront.com/files/22175837/FF7PC_M... (http://www.gamefront.com/files/22175837/FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_500Kbps.part1.rar)

www.gamefront.com/files/22175931/FF7PC_M... (http://www.gamefront.com/files/22175931/FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_500Kbps.part2.rar)

www.gamefront.com/files/22176060/FF7PC_M... (http://www.gamefront.com/files/22176060/FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_500Kbps.part3.rar)

www.gamefront.com/files/22176199/FF7PC_M... (http://www.gamefront.com/files/22176199/FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_500Kbps.part4.rar)

www.gamefront.com/files/22176327/FF7PC_M... (http://www.gamefront.com/files/22176327/FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_500Kbps.part5.rar)

AskaLangly
28th Aug 2012, 16:09
Okay the Maximum Quality (500Kbs) version is uploaded onto gamefront in five parts. (Includes the Special LB2 version by default)

Since this is a multipart archive you must download them all, then unrar part one and it should act as a complete rar.

www.gamefront.com/files/22175837/FF7PC_M... (http://www.gamefront.com/files/22175837/FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_500Kbps.part1.rar)

www.gamefront.com/files/22175931/FF7PC_M... (http://www.gamefront.com/files/22175931/FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_500Kbps.part2.rar)

www.gamefront.com/files/22176060/FF7PC_M... (http://www.gamefront.com/files/22176060/FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_500Kbps.part3.rar)

www.gamefront.com/files/22176199/FF7PC_M... (http://www.gamefront.com/files/22176199/FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_500Kbps.part4.rar)

www.gamefront.com/files/22176327/FF7PC_M... (http://www.gamefront.com/files/22176327/FF7PC_Music_YamahaMU80_OGG_500Kbps.part5.rar)

~800kbps with no hiccups! Good going!

Anyway, minimized the game to go check on something via Kickstarter (Project Giana (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/project-giana/project-giana)), wanted to save, the cloud is down.

All this damn irony with FF7 Cloud saves, I tell you... lol.

osgZach
30th Aug 2012, 17:11
I am aware there may be other PSX OST downloads, but that is not the point of this post. Don't bother with "you can get it from such and such already". My goal is to produce the smallest file-size possible, with no "alternative" tracks included or any of that. It is also my goal to produce as accurate looping is possible. No "pops", slight but detectable mis-timings, or other anamolies.

Hi,

As I expressed earlier, and echoing the sentiment of others, I was very dissapointed with the music included in the 2012 PC re-release.
While others may be perfectly happy with the Yamaha XG tracks provided by Raymond (respect to you, sir), I just cannot play the game with anything other than the original Playstation Sound Tracks. The biggest problems I have with the MIDI and Enhance XG tracks is inconsistency with the original intended sound of instruments, and inconsistency in the sound level of particular instruments in a given song..

As a result, I have always waffled back and forth between the MIDI and enhanced MIDI soundtrack in the old PC version, because I thought certain tracks sounded better in some cases.. It was really annoying, as good as the XG OST can be at times..

DO NOT post in this thread starting a debate over which version is better. This is for people interested in getting the original PSX OST back into the PC game, specifically without using hacks / mods / whatever.

I have spent several days thrashing my head against the wall trying to figure out several things, as to why I couldn't get proper looping done, but I think I have solved those issues now.

I am releasing a test file, in OGG format to replace the file "makoro.ogg" in the /game/data/music_ogg/ folder. You can rename your current file or copy it outside of the directory to somewhere safe, so you can restore it later, if needed.

This file was encoded with VBR setting 2.
This file is distributed inside a 7zip file. If you don't know what 7zip is, Google it - 7zip is your friend.
The file is password protected, and the filename is AES-256 encrypted, to give as much privacy as can be given to a public link...
The password is: abx13f4c

Download Link (https://app.dumptruck.goldenfrog.com/p/rnU7jJ3tCP)

This file may or may not be deleted in the near future

Please post back if this file plays back and properly loops for you.. You can test it by starting a new game and entering the Mako reactor (obviously). If you don't want to do that, you can rename it to the filename of whatever music is playing where you currently are in the game (I believe in theory this should work).

If this works for a majority of people, and there is sufficient interest I will release this to the public - but I will not do it via conventional means. It will probably be a torrent, and I will drop an appropriate hint at that time. I will not risk hosting it on my personal web site, or on my dump truck account. IF someone wishes to put it up on Mediafire / Gamefront, or those kinds of hosting sites then that is fine. But please provide me a link if/when you do, so I can post it here.

The final release files will be encoded with a VBR setting between 0 - X, after I do tests on how much compression I can do without seriously degrading the sound quality.

This is first and foremost a personal project, done in my spare time. Syncing the Loop points is NO easy task, and I must do it by hand, do repeated listening sessions to verify it is free of static and not looping too early / late , and test it in-game. This is done in my spare time, and is for my personal use.

But if there is great interest I will definitely give it a high priority, with my free time.

Quadocky
30th Aug 2012, 17:54
Ah yes, the FF7 soundtrack is probably one of the best things about it really. Its nice to see more experimentations.

I did notice that the MU80 conversion actually does miss a few things, but its mostly relegated to three songs (In comparison to the S-YXG70/50): These are...

The Battle Theme is a bit obnoxicious when played through the MU80 (bad for me because I have a 5.1 system). Played through the S-YXG50 the varied instrumentation is much more noticiable., alot less bass overall.

The Boss Theme has a more obscured organ in the MU80 Version, Played through the S-YXG50 its much more obvious sounding.

The Intro to Sephiroths theme features the wrong Chorus sound in the MU80 version, in the S-YXG50 its much more consistant as it only uses one chorus sound. Though the variation isn't bad.. just not correct.

Otherwise, every other MU80 converted song is pretty much the best XG version of the soundtrack in the Original sense. Such as the Highwind theme. Good god is it beautiful. Raymond is awesome.

I've always have loved the composition of the XG MIDI. Yamaha did an excellent job, they went above and beyond.

But besides all that, one thing I wanted to try was a 5 channel Ogg file created through the Xi-Fi soundcards multichannel midi output. Of course I would have to use a soundfont. It is of some good fortune that SquareSoft included the original soundfonts with this re-release. Though I would much rather use that custom one... Maybe make a ultra heavy version of the boss music or something, but maintaining the feel of the original song.

I personally never liked the Playstation soundtrack that much, but I do understand the appeal of it.

osgZach
31st Aug 2012, 15:09
Well, I'm up to 4 tracks now and it is progressing pretty well.

Sometimes its a pain in the ass, and it takes 10 or so listens, but I am confident it is coming out nicely.

The reduction in file size is also nice for the VBR setting I'm using for testing, and it sounds pretty much transparent to me. I am hoping I can notch it one or two settings higher and end up with a soundtrack of around 100MB. The 4 tracks I've completed so far only add up to 4.66MB, their originals included with the game add up to 6.3MB.

Quadocky
31st Aug 2012, 18:12
Well, I'm up to 4 tracks now and it is progressing pretty well.

Sometimes its a pain in the ass, and it takes 10 or so listens, but I am confident it is coming out nicely.

The reduction in file size is also nice for the VBR setting I'm using for testing, and it sounds pretty much transparent to me. I am hoping I can notch it one or two settings higher and end up with a soundtrack of around 100MB. The 4 tracks I've completed so far only add up to 4.66MB, their originals included with the game add up to 6.3MB.

Reminds me when I was trying to make the S-YXG50 conversion. Since it was a direct conversion from the Synth itself some songs synched up perfectly with the looping while others obviously fell flat. Ran into a similar problem Raymond did, only reason why I didn't complete the project because Raymond did the MU80 conversion REALLY quick.

osgZach
2nd Sep 2012, 19:28
Still moving along nicely.. I'm up to about 19 tracks now..

Although I have a question about some things.. I have noticed in other peoples re-releases, their songs are different than the corresponding original OGG tracks.. i.e "Those Chosen by the Planet" has its full intro in the official OGG, but the intro was cut from the track in a replacement pack. The game also contains a "cintro.ogg" file which sounds like the intro for "Those Chosen by the Planet" and that just confuses me.

Does the game actually not use cintro or... ? If it cuts from the "cintro.ogg" to the official "cephiros.ogg" (those chosen by....) then the intro would be repeated twice since it is included in "ciphiros.ogg". But in the replacement that intro is cut, suggesting the game DOES use both the cintro & cephiros tracks, and cuts between them. In the case of the replacement that would make the transition smooth and proper as its supposed to be..

See what I mean? I guess I won't really know until I go through the game from start to finish, with my own OGG replacements.. Which is basically why I was waiting until I was finished with the recuts, to start playing anyway..

(I know the "comical" track is not used at all, but found it odd square included it, and then in replacements people replace it with other songs, i.e J-E-N-O-V-A, lol... I was just going to leave it untouched personally)

Quadocky
3rd Sep 2012, 23:12
Still moving along nicely.. I'm up to about 19 tracks now..

Although I have a question about some things.. I have noticed in other peoples re-releases, their songs are different than the corresponding original OGG tracks.. i.e "Those Chosen by the Planet" has its full intro in the official OGG, but the intro was cut from the track in a replacement pack. The game also contains a "cintro.ogg" file which sounds like the intro for "Those Chosen by the Planet" and that just confuses me.

Does the game actually not use cintro or... ? If it cuts from the "cintro.ogg" to the official "cephiros.ogg" (those chosen by....) then the intro would be repeated twice since it is included in "ciphiros.ogg". But in the replacement that intro is cut, suggesting the game DOES use both the cintro & cephiros tracks, and cuts between them. In the case of the replacement that would make the transition smooth and proper as its supposed to be..

See what I mean? I guess I won't really know until I go through the game from start to finish, with my own OGG replacements.. Which is basically why I was waiting until I was finished with the recuts, to start playing anyway..

(I know the "comical" track is not used at all, but found it odd square included it, and then in replacements people replace it with other songs, i.e J-E-N-O-V-A, lol... I was just going to leave it untouched personally)

The game uses them yes. It is a small loop that plays before you finally see Sephiroth in the basement, before he goes to the mountain again in the flashback.

The only unused ones are: Comical, Wind, Heart, sato, and sensui . Wind, heart, sato, and sensui are already included in the game's data set as WAV files instead of OGGs since the game treats them as Sound Effects (you can see them in the 'music' folder). Those sound effects being recorded ones used in the Playstation version. The intro Cinimatic and Ending Cinimatic also uses recorded snippits from the Playstation OST encoded into the AVI files. However the Credits theme is not as that is not a cinimatic.

osgZach
4th Sep 2012, 01:34
Thanks for the info. I reached my 30th track finished last night and so far I am keeping the file size in MB less than the total number of files. The gap between total number of files and total size of the set seems to be increasingly at a slow and steady rate, so that is good news /tools/tiny_mce/plugins/emotions/img/smiley-smile.gif

The funy thing about the Opening FMV is when I played the game for the first time, after installation, I heard a sound glitch that is present in the audio OGG for the opening, but is NOT present in the FMV for the opening

t1gerdog
5th Sep 2012, 14:21
Keep it going! I want this

billabond1
5th Sep 2012, 18:07
Hey everyone,

Is there a mod that is working for the new release that allows you to save anywhere? Thanks in advance.

osgZach
5th Sep 2012, 18:12
Don't worry I'm still working on it.

I don't think the first release is going to be "perfect", i.e there may be timing issues with some things. But I am trying to minimize those things.. I also don't know how certain songs which also have intro tracks will be effected (see my earlier comment).

But beyond that it is going pretty well. I actually have made myself hold off from starting to play the game (beyond the mako reactor test I did), until I have it all finished. So that way I can make saves along the way to test anything that needs fixing, and also so I am not playing with an ugly mixed soundtrack.

t1gerdog
5th Sep 2012, 23:46
So are you getting the samples from the PSX version or ripping the songs or what? I'm just curious... Also don't shy away from making a high quality version, the filesize is not important to those that care about the soundtrack versions. And thanks for your effort, it's great that people are putting the work in to make sure people hear the soundtrack the way they want it to be.

I've always played it on the PC, so I want to play through with the original PSX soundtrack for a change. It was obviously the way it was meant to be heard.

osgZach
6th Sep 2012, 13:16
My source for the songs are my FLAC (lossless) files for the OST CD release, which was 4 discs. So in a way, yes it is "the original" PSX version of the music, but the OST also received high quality mastering that makes it sound a little better than the PSX version. However for simplicity we will say, yes it will be pretty transparent and sound like the original PSX sound track.

First I queue up the games original OGG files in my media player, then play the songs as I work on them so I have the file name, and can identify which songs I need to open from my FLAC set. Then I open that FLAC and start playback, and study the Waveform display, looking for repeating patterns (almost every song in the OST is looped once). Then I have to edit the cut points by hand, so that it loops seamlessly without any clicks, cracks, pops, or other such anomolies.

It is also worth noting that I am tagging these songs as well, unlike some other sets. I haven't decided if I want to add Track numbers to the tags though, because the game actually has several tracks that the OST does not (for intros, and the like) including one unused track for an unused room during the Honeybee Inn section of the game. That song is included as provided by Square-Enix because there is simply no PSX source that I have come across. Sometimes if I can't reproduce a track properly, I will source it (credited) from another file set instead.

I'm aiming for small file size for several reasons, though.

1) I'm not a fan of "bloat". Beyond a certain bitrate you will be hard pressed to perceive actual quality differences, unless you are a really adept audiophile using high-end equipment. It sounds great on my sound system so far, my PC feeds my Receiver via Optical (TOSLink) and I have pretty decent home-use media speakers (Panasonic).

2) Its always nice to save space.

3) make it easier on any uploading I have to do. I may have a change of heart and put it up on mediafire or a similar site, but I have no idea how long it will last there.

We lucked out in a way with OGG support, because VBR encoded OGG is very efficient and has great quality. Many commercial games use OGG/Vorbis for their music and even some sound files these days.

If I can keep the entire soundtrack to around 100MB I will be very pleased. But I certainly won't sacrifice quality for file size.

osgZach
7th Sep 2012, 17:35
It was a fun learning experience, but I've decided to stop this project.

There are issues I was going to have to deal with eventually, that I wasn't prepared to do this time around, and ultimately, there is a project out there which has already completed what I was attempting to do, including sourcing issues for certain songs that needed to be done from scratch with heavy editing.

On the other hand if I don't like it, or the quality seems crap, then I might restart my project. But for now;

See this thread for the most current release.

forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12787.1... (http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12787.150)

Quadocky
7th Sep 2012, 23:26
Thanks for the info. I reached my 30th track finished last night and so far I am keeping the file size in MB less than the total number of files. The gap between total number of files and total size of the set seems to be increasingly at a slow and steady rate, so that is good news

The funy thing about the Opening FMV is when I played the game for the first time, after installation, I heard a sound glitch that is present in the audio OGG for the opening, but is NOT present in the FMV for the opening

Yes because the FMV itself has its own audio incoded into it. You can actually test this by playing the intro cinimatic in a movie player. Some FMVs do not, however have encoded audio and instead follows through with the normal ingame audio like it normally would. I do not know if the same was true or not for some FMVs on the Playstation version. Its a mystery to me.

Quadocky
7th Sep 2012, 23:29
It was a fun learning experience, but I've decided to stop this project.

There are issues I was going to have to deal with eventually, that I wasn't prepared to do this time around, and ultimately, there is a project out there which has already completed what I was attempting to do, including sourcing issues for certain songs that needed to be done from scratch with heavy editing.

On the other hand if I don't like it, or the quality seems crap, then I might restart my project. But for now;

See this thread for the most current release.

forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12787.1... (http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12787.150)

Interesting. I wonder if they just recorded from an Emulated version of the Playstation sound chip or whatever. That techincally would work in the same way one would record from say a sound module. Kinda like using SPC files in a SNES emulator or whatever.

osgZach
8th Sep 2012, 10:15
No, if you read the thread you will see it was sourced from the OST album, like I was doing. Except for cases where they needed to use PSF's to recreate some tracks in the PC version.

But yes I am aware that some FMV's have their audio encoded into them. From what I (can) remember of my youth, I am fairly sure the original PSX movies also had audio and/or sound effects recorded in some of them..

However my point was, despite the fact the opening sequence uses its own audio in the FMV itself, I still heard that glitch, that was ONLY present in the OGG audio file, but not the FMV's audio track.

I haven't heard it since though, so I dunno. Maybe some weird bug.

sithlord48
15th Oct 2012, 20:44
You should try with the newest version 1.9.7. it Should work providing you don't have ff7 running..

burrito
26th Oct 2012, 13:08
The download links are dead.

Pchild
22nd Feb 2013, 14:04
I would like to get these as well. The sound was bothering me (and google found this thread).

Anyone have a Re-up on the links?

Thanks!

***EDIT*** Click here for working links.

na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235... (http://na.square-enix.com/go/thread/view/139235/29324501/Yamaha_XG_Replacement_Music_now_available!)

Pchild
22nd Feb 2013, 14:14
Thanks for the files, only the 256 bitrate files had working links, but I appreicate you making these! Lots of hard work for the love of a game. Squre should throw you a few bucks, and include these in a future patch.

zakdwyer
31st May 2013, 10:25
Now that FF7 is finally working (the download/update/save servers were down since Memorial Day), I was wondering, do many of the mods out there for FF7 work with this version? I have yet to try any, but I finally got the thing to work and I don't want to mess things up without knowing first.

DarkTiamatZERO
4th Jun 2013, 03:48
NONE

Mods suck and you're cheating yourself of the true gameplay experience. Get the only good mod: PSN and play it on a PS3/PSP/VITA.

Eldrin
8th Jul 2013, 00:10
Sadly i can't even find any working links to DL mods anywhere, otherwise i would help.. also.. i so dissagree with that last statement.

A facelift would not hurt ANYTHING when it comes to FF7... people been wanting a facelift for the game for years anyhow...mods are the way to go if you can find working links.

EliParker28
8th Jul 2013, 01:18
@Micheal - Did you see my message. I'm not sure if that was post here on the forums.

masz52
8th Jul 2013, 15:07
Yeah, there are mods that work with the newer PC version. For example, if you don't like the music of the PC version, you can change it with the music pack here forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12787.0 (http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=12787.0)

There are lots of other FFVII mods on that site.

afrosammy00
10th Jul 2013, 09:54
NONE

Mods suck and you're cheating yourself of the true gameplay experience. Get the only good mod: PSN and play it on a PS3/PSP/VITA.

Except, you know, the music on the PC version is awful. The "true gameplay experience" you want and the "true gameplay experience" the devs wanted are undoubtedly different. If they could've made and used textures and whatnot like this in the original version, do you not think they would have? I'm sure if they saw examples of these mods, they would be impressed. Developers back then wanted games as "realistic" As possible, which was just a few polygons. Why do you think graphics have developed so far?

anoldguy
26th Sep 2013, 15:46
This is probably moot, but if you have the original Final Fantasy VII game on disks and don't have a num keyboard, this file should help you get started. http://www.sendspace.com/file/ad0qha I patched my game with the latest fixes and borrowed a keyboard. The keys you need to know to get started are: the arrow keys work as the arrow keys, up, down, etc, The home key is the menu key, The return key is the okay key and the end key is the cancel key. Once the game is started you can use the game's config option to set your keyboard to your liking. Just copy the file to the directory where the executable is and have fun.

DarkTiamatZERO
12th Nov 2013, 10:37
Except, you know, the music on the PC version is awful. The "true gameplay experience" you want and the "true gameplay experience" the devs wanted are undoubtedly different. If they could've made and used textures and whatnot like this in the original version, do you not think they would have? I'm sure if they saw examples of these mods, they would be impressed. Developers back then wanted games as "realistic" As possible, which was just a few polygons. Why do you think graphics have developed so far?

Omg, are you seriously throwing out the "if then, why not now" argument? Of course they'd be impressed by these mods. Who wouldn't be impressed at someone else's programming if it was good? That's a mute statement. And how would you know what their intentions were? Did you talk to them? Can you see into the future? This game is a product of its time like any other game.

Durr, and look I can make ridiculous arguments like that too: If the Egyptians could have built the pyramids at Giza out of concrete and stainless steel, do not you think they would have? Just because you CAN change something doesn't mean that you SHOULD. I wouldn't remake PacMan just because the graphics and gameplay are old. I'd appreciate it for what it is: a classic. Old-school games are classic, not outdated.

But hey, let's pretend that you were right and I totally agreed with you: These mods actually make the game look WORSE. The custom "HD" character models stand out from the low polygonal props, doodads, and floating numbers. They're super-realistic, visually-jarring, inaccurately-proportioned avatars walking on a 2D-painted over-world. It just looks LoL ridiculous. Some of those models are even from Advent Children, which was a crappy movie that I don't want to be reminded of. The original game has a certain charm to it with the super-deformed models on the over-world screen. It's an old-school artistic style and its classic. The game also has its own balance and retooling bosses or adding new weapons/abilities just ruins all of that. It either makes the game way too easy or it makes it flat-out impossible.

Once you open the door and start going overboard with amateur modwork and other illegal garbage, you start to lose focus of why you liked this game in the first place. And it becomes an experiment-gone-wrong (i.e. Gary's Mod) instead of a game. Appreciate it for what it IS, not for what you want it to be.

arkaikon
9th Dec 2013, 21:05
Hi, please, can you reupload the files, I was searching it long time ago.
I remember my old Yamaha ymf724, and I miss this amazing sound when I was "young".

Thank you very much,

Regards.

Dennisito
24th Jun 2015, 16:23
Anyone know where I can still find a downloadable Yamaha XG .ogg soundtrack for the Steam version of Final Fantasy 7? The download links that were posted previously on this forum don't work anymore. I actually have both a Yamaha MU80 and MU2000EX in my attic somewhere but I doubt I could make them work with the Steam version of the game since it no longer lets you make a MIDI selection and only goes by the music_ogg folder now.