PDA

View Full Version : Which version of Human Revolution will be the "superior" version?

Phenomenal Flea
8th Dec 2010, 22:11
Hi there,

I intend to preorder the Augmented Edition of Deus Ex: Human Revolution. However, I own both an Xbox 360 and a Playstation 3 so I can't decide which console to purchase it on. I would like to know which version of the game has the technical edge? I was prepared to preorder the Xbox 360 version in doubt as that's how the trend goes with multiplatform games generally, but I see these CGI cutscenes in the game and think that maybe they'll be uncompressed on the Playstation 3 (ala FFXIII).

If somebody could shed some light on this, that would be much appreciated. Thanks!

PS. I have a good enough PC, but the game isn't coming out on GFWL and I'm too much of an Achievement Hunter to buy it there... (pathetic, I know!)

FuzzyPuffin
8th Dec 2010, 22:14
The PC version. If it uses steamworks, there's a good possibility it'll have achievements.

puzl
8th Dec 2010, 22:15
Noone knows for sure, but if its like 99% of multiformat games out there, then the 360 version will probably either have a better framerate, better textures, or both. The PS3 really shines for exclusives, but generally gets 2nd class treatment from third party devs, who publish to both formats.

A game like DX still needs to be played on a PC for the best experience though.

CoDEllite
8th Dec 2010, 22:15
I would go with the xbox version (as I am :) ). Chances are there will be exclusive xbox only DLC so I wouldn't want to miss out on it.

Shralla
8th Dec 2010, 22:16
You know that Steam has achievements, right? And that Steam is much less ****ty and gay than Games for Windows Live?

As for the meat of your question, there are no CGI cutscenes in the game except for one, and even if there were, do you really think this game is going to take up more than nine gigabytes? (PROTIP: The answer is no).

Just get it on PC. That's where your technical edge is, and it's in places that matter, not cutscenes.

ZakKa89
8th Dec 2010, 22:18
Dude you should play it where you get most fun out of the game. The pc version will also have achievements who cares about xbox achievements.

PC version will look better, have better controls, a quicksave/load option etcetera etcetera.

PC version stop being an achievementwhore :P

Ilves
8th Dec 2010, 22:21
I truly think disclosing which build is used for gameplay trailers and public demontstrations should be mandatory with multiplatform titles.

I believe so far most- if not all - demos have been running on the PS3. Which could mean it's either the superior version (over the 360, not PC, obviously) that EM wants to flaunt around, or the worse off version that they don't want be upstaged by the PC and 360 version at this stage. Can't say.

Latest game-play trailer was, again, if I'm not mistaken, captured off a 360. Do correct me if I'm wrong, though. :)

FuzzyPuffin
8th Dec 2010, 22:24
I would go with the xbox version (as I am :) ). Chances are there will be exclusive xbox only DLC so I wouldn't want to miss out on it.

No.

mad825
8th Dec 2010, 22:27
the PC will always have that "technical edge". The DRM for the game hasn't been confirmed yet..although it shouldn't be too long until it officially announced. (give or take a few centuries)

CoDEllite
8th Dec 2010, 22:29
No.

Well, I wouldn't be so sure about that buddy. The publishers know that with all multiplatform games, the xbox version usually sells the most. So when releasing DLC, they might at least give timed exclusives to the console with most sales rather than have that content pirated by the pc users. Just saying, exclusive xbox dlc would make sense.

ZakKa89
8th Dec 2010, 22:30
Well, I wouldn't be so sure about that buddy. The publishers know that with all multiplatform games, the xbox version usually sells the most. So when releasing DLC, they might at least give timed exclusives to the console with most sales rather than have that content pirated by the pc users. Just saying, exclusive xbox dlc would make sense.

This is not Call of Duty buddy. The publishers aren't THAT stupid.

And no it doesn't make sense.

mad825
8th Dec 2010, 22:31
no...it's more like
http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/520093/520093,1278369680,1/stock-photo-slipping-money-into-pocket-closeup-of-businessman-slips-money-into-suit-front-pocket-56667187.jpg;) ;)

Muta Ro
8th Dec 2010, 22:52

Wrong, just because it sells well on a platform doesn't mean that it will get exclusives. And its all good and well saying that PC is plagued by pirating, your consoles suffer the same you know.

[FGS]Shadowrunner
8th Dec 2010, 23:13
The people that are going to buy every title, want to map and mod for it and will still be playing the game in 5 years time are most likely to be PC players. They might sell more Xbox, but perhaps the majority of Xbox players will see it just as another title in their collection, not really understand the whole DX thing and besides, consoles are upgraded all the time, so old titles don't get played on new machines. The longstanding and loyal fanbase will come more from PC gamers I feel. Deus Ex is a cult title, just the way Bladerunner was not initially popular.

Content exclusive to Xbox is not going to make me go out and buy an Xbox.
DLC, SDK, Multiplayer, Comics, Books, Movies, special edition DVD's of the game... will.

Rindill the Red
8th Dec 2010, 23:42
If DX 3 develops a modding community... then the PC version hands down... simply for longevity and extra content.

PC version is cheaper.

PC version can run better graphics that will update somewhat as you upgrade your computer in the future.

Look at Deus Ex 1. HDTP, New Vision, Shifter, etc. plus the "expansion mods", Redsun, TNM, etc. and the dx9, dx10 renderers.

If Deus Ex 1 were on a console you would be limited by that hardware, no matter how far technology has progressed.

Tverdyj
9th Dec 2010, 00:12
PC, no question

jtr7
9th Dec 2010, 00:19
A superior PC (actually superior, not just potentially, or based on specs alone) will give the PC version a graphical and performance edge, but we've been told that each platform will offer the same gameplay experience. Since achievements are a game unto themselves, and involve a lot of work to create, it seems incorrect to say each platform offers the same gameplay experience if only one or two of them have achievements.

ZakKa89
9th Dec 2010, 00:29
All versions will probably have achievements. Nothing 100 percent though.

Unstoppable
9th Dec 2010, 03:33
I think the way you will know between choosing between your 360 or PS 3 is to figure out which console they were previewing the game on. I think it was the 360. I am not 100% sure, so you can just wait a bit and see.

thedosbox
9th Dec 2010, 04:26
PS. I have a good enough PC, but the game isn't coming out on GFWL and I'm too much of an Achievement Hunter to buy it there... (pathetic, I know!)

So you're choosing virtual bragging rights over a superior experience? Not to mention the ability to replay the game on whatever hardware is around in (say) five years.

ZakKa89
9th Dec 2010, 11:01
I think the way you will know between choosing between your 360 or PS 3 is to figure out which console they were previewing the game on. I think it was the 360. I am not 100% sure, so you can just wait a bit and see.

It was the ps3. I am 100 percent sure. And there was some minor performancce lag during takedowns. No idea how the 360 version will run.

Brockxz
9th Dec 2010, 11:04
It was the ps3. I am 100 percent sure. And there was some minor performancce lag during takedowns. No idea how the 360 version will run.

They have done showing on both consoles and yes, there was some problems with ps3 when they used it to show the game.

ZakKa89
9th Dec 2010, 11:09
They have done showing on both consoles and yes, there was some problems with ps3 when they used it to show the game.

When did they show it n 360? :O

They used ps3 at e3, at gamescom and in canada.

Fox89
9th Dec 2010, 11:52
Get the PC version if you'll be able to run it (although you say it's good enough, have we had system specs yet?).

If you are absolutely 100% set on a console however, the 360 version will probably be the better of the two. The big gameplay trailer at the very least was run from a 360. Personally I don't much like it as a console as it tends to... explode....a bit more than I would like. But developers generally say that it is the easier machine to work with for multi-platform games so generally comes off looking a bit better.

ZakKa89
9th Dec 2010, 12:33
Get the PC version if you'll be able to run it (although you say it's good enough, have we had system specs yet?).

If you are absolutely 100% set on a console however, the 360 version will probably be the better of the two. The big gameplay trailer at the very least was run from a 360. Personally I don't much like it as a console as it tends to... explode....a bit more than I would like. But developers generally say that it is the easier machine to work with for multi-platform games so generally comes off looking a bit better.

Excuse me but the last part is not true. Example is the latest final fantasy which had a lower resolution than on the ps3. The game bayonetta runs better on the 360, but multiplaytform games do not look better on the 360.

Anyway we don't know yet on which console the game will run better. Why do you think the gameplaytrailers are from the 360 by the way?

Crane
9th Dec 2010, 12:45
In the 'Penthouse' trailer, look carefully as the player opens the inventory.
At the top left of the screen, you can see the button prompts "LB" "RB" "LT" and "RT", for navigating between pages.

These prompts refer to Left/Right Bumper and Left/Right Trigger respectively - 360 nomenclature. On a PS3, it would have been L1, R1, L2 and R2.

Conversely, the leaked E3 footage of Jensen approaching the warehouse clearly shows PS3 "X" and "O" button prompts while the player accesses a computer.

Fox89
9th Dec 2010, 12:54
Why do you think the gameplaytrailers are from the 360 by the way?

Because when it shows the inventory system there are LT and RT button prompts. These things only exist on the 360.

Example is the latest final fantasy which had a lower resolution than on the ps3

Yes, because it was developed as a PS3 exclusive and only when that was complete ported to the 360. That's the exception, not the rule.

but multiplaytform games do not look better on the 360

I would say, more often then not, they do. At least when there is discernible difference, multiplatform games (rather; those that were always intended to BE multiplatform, which FFXIII was not) tend to look better on the 360. Sometimes just with a slightly clearer picture, sometimes a bit more clear cut. Examples include (but not limited to):

- Mafia II
- Devil May Cry 4
- Resident Evil 5
- Grand Theft Auto IV
- Assassin's Creed

Ones I found with a very quick search. Mafia II is particularly striking, as the PS3 version is missing detailed grass (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=403682) that is on the 360 and PC versions, as you can see on some of the pics in the thread I linked.

I'm not saying the PS3 is bad or anything, don't get me wrong. Heck, I prefer it! But if and when there is a difference, the 360 tends to come off better. :)

ZakKa89
9th Dec 2010, 13:13
Sure those are good examples but that doesn't mean it will apply for this game as well. There are also tons of other games that look almost exactly the same on both systems. Watched a lot of comparisons (pointless because im a pcgamer lol).

Anyway I think it is a bit too soon to say which console version wil be better.

Fox89
9th Dec 2010, 13:16
Sure those are good examples but that doesn't mean it will apply for this game as well.

Fair point, but the fact that when it does apply the 360 tends to come off better is a good indicator. I mean, if this guy wants to put a pre-order in and 'bet' on which version, if any, would look better, the most sensible bet would be the 360. That's all I'm saying.

CoDEllite
9th Dec 2010, 14:55
End of arguement xbox 360 version will be by far the superior of the two console version. XBOX FTW

ZakKa89
9th Dec 2010, 14:59
O my God

Fox89
9th Dec 2010, 15:05
End of arguement xbox 360 version will be by far the superior of the two console version. XBOX FTW

I'm calling Poe's Law on this one... there's no way you're that much of a biased fanboy.

JimProfit
9th Dec 2010, 15:33
obviously the pc version is going to be the best one. and the gameplay trailer with 360 buttons in the ui could just as easily have been the pc version as the 360 version.

ZakKa89
9th Dec 2010, 15:36
Nah the gameplay was defintely console version

Shralla
9th Dec 2010, 18:32
Excuse me but the last part is not true. Example is the latest final fantasy which had a lower resolution than on the ps3. The game bayonetta runs better on the 360, but multiplaytform games do not look better on the 360.

Almost every single multiplatform title EVER has looked better on 360. You say you "watched a lot of comparisons" and if you did, you would also know this to be true. Fox gave five examples of games that look better on the 360, and you gave ONE example of a game that looked the same or better on PS3, and that's only because the Final Fantasy team blows at compression, and didn't want to eat up too many discs. 360 IS much easier to develop for than the PS3, allowing developers to get much more out of the system with significantly less time and effort. The 360 DOES look better most of the time with multiplatform titles, unless the game is a port from PS3 (like Final Fantasy), in which case the only reason for the drop in quality is like I said, space issues.

ZakKa89
9th Dec 2010, 19:29
I would not say most of the time. Most of the time there is hardly any difference. But when there is a difference the quality of the 360 version is better most of those times, I agree.

Desstromath
10th Dec 2010, 01:41
I see a ban coming but if no one else is going to say this I'll have to.

The white version :P

Fox89
10th Dec 2010, 02:35

I'm all for tasteless humour when it's funny but that was a big miss. May wanna edit that out.

Rindill the Red
10th Dec 2010, 02:39

Yeah, this wasn't funny. The way you put it... "If no one else is going to say this, I'll have to." As in you feel obliged to mention that whites are better than than other races, and that everyone else is thinking it but not saying it... doesn't sound right.

To make it more relevant you might want to put "The augmented version...", at least then it would work because of the obvious prejudices that will revolve around augmentations in the game and the fact that there is indeed and "augmented edition" that costs more and may be considered better by some people.

Crane
10th Dec 2010, 02:56

That's truly dreadful.

I must confess that I am not the most politically correct of men, and can indeed derive amusment from quite ghastly racist humour, but this doesn't even possess the redeeming quality of actually being amusing.

If you're going to be offensive, then at least be entertaining!

cartridge
10th Dec 2010, 03:27
Just out of curiosity, will the boxed version of the game support Steam? Specifically, displaying the game ID rather than showing only the usual "In-game" for games not purchased through Steam.

TheYouthCounselor
10th Dec 2010, 03:51
Just out of curiosity, will the boxed version of the game support Steam? Specifically, displaying the game ID rather than showing only the usual "In-game" for games not purchased through Steam.

If you look at the PC version's box, it has a Steam logo there. So I'm sure it does.

And Resident Evil 5 DOES NOT look better on the 360. I've played all three versions and the game was built for the PS3, and optimized for its hardware.

cartridge
10th Dec 2010, 03:57
If you look at the PC version's box, it has a Steam logo there. So I'm sure it does.

Really? I've only ever seen the front box art and never noticed that.

Shralla
10th Dec 2010, 04:02
I'm all for tasteless humour when it's funny but that was a big miss. May wanna edit that out.

Yeah, this wasn't funny. The way you put it... "If no one else is going to say this, I'll have to." As in you feel obliged to mention that whites are better than than other races, and that everyone else is thinking it but not saying it... doesn't sound right.

That's truly dreadful.

Poor sensitive babies. ;_;

thedosbox
10th Dec 2010, 04:05

No ban necessary. The idiocy speaks for itself.

Shralla
10th Dec 2010, 04:12
And Resident Evil 5 DOES NOT look better on the 360. I've played all three versions and the game was built for the PS3, and optimized for its hardware.

Clearly.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/ps3-360-comparison-resident-evil/46683

Fox89
10th Dec 2010, 04:23
Poor sensitive babies. ;_;

Yeah, not condoning pointless racism makes us the politically correct police.

I do take back Resi 5. I checked Shralla's comparison and it seems I may have been using a poor example when I compared them. The PS3 seems to have less jaggies but the colours are better on the 360 version.

Shralla
10th Dec 2010, 04:24
Yeah, not condoning pointless racism makes us the politically correct police.

It's not racism unless he's racist.

Jerion
10th Dec 2010, 04:30
Pointless discussion.