PDA

View Full Version : So I guess there will be no Croft Mansion

BraveNewGuy
7th Dec 2010, 19:59
I guess so ... from the promo pictures we have and what Darrell said I think there will be no Croft Mansion in the upcoming game !! thats really suck TBH I miss the Croft Mansion from Legend and Anniversary :( I really really hope that CD will include it in the upcoming game

LARALOVERnr1
7th Dec 2010, 20:17
I don't thinks so indeed. She's very young and she crashed on an island in the middle of Japan. Don't think she'll have a mansion there, do you?

BraveNewGuy
7th Dec 2010, 20:53
yeah I guess not but still would love to see it again tho

Denis..
7th Dec 2010, 21:41
a new tomb raider..an entirely different game baby..got it?

tombraidergal
7th Dec 2010, 21:47
i don't mind about that, but it'd be nice to have a random roam around level like in TR:A. :)

Denis..
7th Dec 2010, 21:48
no come on guys..we need something NEWWWWWWW..

GeorgeMaciver
7th Dec 2010, 23:19
I would think at some point in the game Lara gets off the island, right? Who knows? Perhaps we'll have a TR2 style ending, around the Manor :D

Denis..
8th Dec 2010, 14:25
jeorge funny..new ideaaas please

hiMe
8th Dec 2010, 14:52
You might be lucky. You MIGHT just see her Cave styled mansion.

Denis..
8th Dec 2010, 22:00
and that's the idea of the year! a manor cave

tombraidergal
8th Dec 2010, 22:08
MANOR CAVE. THAT SOUNDS AMAZING.

haha. nah, i think there should be like... a sparring level, kind of like the mansion, but it's on the main menu (like the mansion) but it's a small portion of the japanese island with different sections, to practice fighting, climbing, tumbling and general skills and roaming. That would be good enough for me. xD obviously with some sort of riddle of quest in it.

hiMe
9th Dec 2010, 10:24
ORRRR they could go futuristic like Konami on us...like Old snake. and his training grounds were endless white....with a few dummies. But that'll probably take the feel away. Without a training level would fit more. I'm already getting ideas as what they'd add as trophies,let alone adding a mansion "Hurdle over 2 obstacles continuously on horseback" GOLD. rofl So ahead. I'm way too excited.

andrew90
9th Dec 2010, 12:26
obviously there won't be a manor, maybe a cave manor like you guys said, funny :).What i'm tryin to say is that I miss croft manor, it somehow relaxed me after a long gameplay.

tombraidergal
9th Dec 2010, 19:24
hmm i know what you mean, but tbh i got bored after a while as there isn't much to do in the manor. :/

hiMe
10th Dec 2010, 21:36
I only liked croft manor cos I felt as if I was controlling a doll in a dolls house. It was fun to explore something in my comfort zone. Like knowing there aren't going to be any enemies etc. But other than that I liked how they put the effort in when they didn't have to. Lovely Eidos folk. Always thinking about us :3

raz-
10th Dec 2010, 22:41
WE NEED THE MANSION TO TRAIN!!!! Its so much better than a crappy tutorial section on the first level, the mansion is a place where I go when im stuck on a level, or just want to relax for a while... it could even play a part in the game? Maybe we can play Lara before she goes on the ship, and even when she's on the ship before it crashes, because im quite worried that there wont be any variety in levels in this game, and that i'll get bored of it really quickly like i did on Underworld

Sina_Croft
11th Dec 2010, 00:43
Okay too lazy too read everything, but
There may be a small hut or something!! She needs a place to sleep and eat right! :lol: ;D

Bampire
11th Dec 2010, 01:00
I don't thinks so indeed. She's very young and she crashed on an island in the middle of Japan. Don't think she'll have a mansion there, do you?

This.

Cristiavano
22nd Jan 2011, 18:15
i think there should be like at the end of the game anyway i hope the ending will be dramatic like lara on a cliff with her pants ripped to form the "classic" outfit and her hair moving and the waves hitting the cliff. Then there will be lightening and she jumps back onto a ship and gets saved well rescued ;/

AdobeArtist
22nd Jan 2011, 18:39
Clearly not for this game. This is all about the traumatic experience that forged Lara into who she is, and specifically the context that she has nothing to rely in except for what she can salvage from her surroundings.

But this being the prequel origin story, we do know that she'll get back home to reclaim her birthright. So reboot or not, why wouldn't Lara have her mansion in the next game?

Cheese is nice.
29th Jan 2011, 05:07

You never know. She might. She's an aristocrat. She has more than one house. Bahahahah!!! I kid, I kid. :D:lol:

TrickyVein
29th Jan 2011, 13:46
This is making little sense to me.

Lara crashing in Tibet and having to "survive" and fight her way back to civilization, essentially is no different than Lara crashing on a Jap island and having to "survive" and fight her way back to civilization.

It's the same story. Not a reboot.

I'm calling BS on this one.

AdobeArtist
29th Jan 2011, 16:24
This is making little sense to me.

Lara crashing in Tibet and having to "survive" and fight her way back to civilization, essentially is no different than Lara crashing on a Jap island and having to "survive" and fight her way back to civilization.

It's the same story. Not a reboot.

I'm calling BS on this one.

There's no contradiction here. Reboot simply means going back to the beginning, and that's what we have here. Starting over with Lara's tragic events of her established origin story (a new interpretaion of that foundation) and beginning the story lines anew from there.

Reboots don't change the origins or core foundations of a character. It's to wipe the timeline clean and start over from that. When the Batman movie series was rebooted, it undid the Joker story as seen with jack Nicholson, as well as every event which followed from there (Penguine's scheme to kidnap Gotham's first born, Riddler's plan to steal the population's brain power for his own, Mr Freeze's destruction of Gotham, etc...).

But they didn't change the origins of Batman, making him into a kid who grew up in the ghetto and became Batman to help his still living parents fight off street gangs. That reboot also kept the established origins and other foundation characteristics, and started over from there, in terms of the present story lines.

TrickyVein
29th Jan 2011, 16:52
So, you'll admit that this is the same Lara we know? The same survivor-type character from the previous games?

This begs the question then, why Japan?

What was wrong with Tibet? If the core-origin story is essentially the same, then why push the location Eastward?

I can only conclude that the Japanese are taking over game-design. I'm surprised Lara doesn't have ridiculously huge, cute eyes. They provided the detailed model for the gameinformer cover after all.

AdobeArtist
29th Jan 2011, 18:41
This will not be the same Lara per se, but will have familiar trappings. It helps to think of this new beginning as a reimagining. So it's keeping to the basic foundation of the origin story, but from an original interpretation.

Just think of what the new Star Trek movie did, and how each crew member is both familiar and fresh at the same time.

QiX
29th Jan 2011, 18:46
I can only conclude that the Japanese are taking over game-design. I'm surprised Lara doesn't have ridiculously huge, cute eyes. They provided the detailed model for the gameinformer cover after all.

When SquareEnix bought the franchise they had plans to grow in the western gaming market, not to raise its popularity in the eastern. Anime Lara is not going to happen.

TrickyVein
30th Jan 2011, 00:07
This will not be the same Lara per se, but will have familiar trappings. It helps to think of this new beginning as a reimagining. So it's keeping to the basic foundation of the origin story, but from an original interpretation.

Just think of what the new Star Trek movie did, and how each crew member is both familiar and fresh at the same time.

"Reimagining?" SEMANTICS, my dear friend. Pure semantics.

I never saw much need for a reboot to begin with. I thought CD had effectively done that by taking over from core and making Legend, as well as Anniversary. That was the reboot. Now, not what, five years on, and CD thinks Lara needs another face-lift? Why?

Again, only possible conclusion is Japanese involvement with franchise.

Cheese is nice.
30th Jan 2011, 05:55
"Reimagining?" SEMANTICS, my dear friend. Pure semantics.

I never saw much need for a reboot to begin with. I thought CD had effectively done that by taking over from core and making Legend, as well as Anniversary. That was the reboot. Now, not what, five years on, and CD thinks Lara needs another face-lift? Why?

Again, only possible conclusion is Japanese involvement with franchise.

I agree. They have already "reimagined" the series with the events from Legend and Anniversary. Why are they doing it again not even three games later? It's incredibly frusterating that it won't stay the same. Pick an origin story already!!!
Japanese involvement, huh? This could either end really well or really poorly.

AdobeArtist
30th Jan 2011, 06:13
True that this is the second time TR is being rebooted. But this IS how the new game is going to be, so complaining will serve no purpose at this point.

You can either accept this, or just leave Lara behind and move on to other franchises if you wish.

I choose to see this reimagining (and I'm sticking by that, semantics or otherwise) in a positive light, as it advances series and character, moving forward to make Lara relevant to the times and no longer a relic of outdated gaming standards (both in visuals and game design).

How you receive this new beginning is up to you.

Fickji
30th Jan 2011, 06:47
If we can't have her manor.....

CAN WE HAVE THE SHIP?:D:D

I mean it would be a perfect place to train and roam. It may be crashed but there's no rule that it can't be crashed in a place that is still usuable. And she has to get there right. So can't we have a level seperate from the game in all its noncrashed shippy glory.

I still thinks its a drag though. I liked the manor. A place to train and explore with no pesky monsters, death traps, pit falls....

Unless you count the core ones where you could scale the roof and fall to your death.

TrickyVein
30th Jan 2011, 16:23
It looks like a classic example of "if it aint broke, don't fix it."

Or better yet, "The industry has grown up."

We shall see. I want this to be a good game. It may catapult the franchise into the mainstream once more with the approval of old-timers and fresh-blood alike. :thumb:

I remain skeptical until we find out more.

Lukass
30th Jan 2011, 16:49
You guess well....

AdobeArtist
30th Jan 2011, 16:56
It looks like a classic example of "if it aint broke, don't fix it."

Or better yet, "The industry has grown up."

We shall see. I want this to be a good game. It may catapult the franchise into the mainstream once more with the approval of old-timers and fresh-blood alike. :thumb:

I remain skeptical until we find out more.

Expect the worst, but you'll still hope for the best. Right? :)

LC is Me
30th Jan 2011, 18:20
I'm sorry but...who gives a damn if there is Japanese involvement in the game?
People from Fiji could make the game, and as long as it's good I'll play it.
Regardless, it should have been expected since Eidos was bought up by SE.

The series needs a good game, and if an origin story to reintroduce Lara to players is what they have to do to keep the series from stagnating then fine. Besides, the concepts and ideas sound good right now. Who cares if it's in Japan or Tibet, Timbuktu or East Jesus Nowhere.

Now people are just whining to whine, in my opinion.

Ants_27_
30th Jan 2011, 18:55
I'm sorry but...who gives a damn if there is Japanese involvement in the game?
People from Fiji could make the game, and as long as it's good I'll play it.
Regardless, it should have been expected since Eidos was bought up by SE.

The series needs a good game, and if an origin story to reintroduce Lara to players is what they have to do to keep the series from stagnating then fine. Besides, the concepts and ideas sound good right now. Who cares if it's in Japan or Tibet, Timbuktu or East Jesus Nowhere.

Now people are just whining to whine, in my opinion.

I do agree with you there. It doesn't matter that the 'Japanese' (or anyone in fact) have stepped in and taken over cause the fact is CD are still the ones making the game so clearly they wanted to reboot the franchise as well?:scratch:

TrickyVein
30th Jan 2011, 20:50
I care that the Japanese are involved.

They're involved with another title I'm anticipating: DX: Human Revolution. Look at Adam Jensen's hair. All the evidence you need.

Pietras
30th Jan 2011, 21:28
So, you'll admit that this is the same Lara we know? The same survivor-type character from the previous games?

This begs the question then, why Japan?

What was wrong with Tibet? If the core-origin story is essentially the same, then why push the location Eastward?
Becuase Legend already covered plane crash in Himalayas. Granted, it was in flashbacks and we haven't actually experienced the events first-hand, but it would still be way too similar thing happening way too soon again if it was set in the same location.

I can only conclude that the Japanese are taking over game-design.
Facepalm#1

I'm surprised Lara doesn't have ridiculously huge, cute eyes. They provided the detailed model for the gameinformer cover after all.
Facepalm#2

TrickyVein
30th Jan 2011, 22:22
Becuase Legend already covered plane crash in Himalayas. Granted, it was in flashbacks and we haven't actually experienced the events first-hand, but it would still be way too similar thing happening way too soon again if it was set in the same location.

I don't understand your reasoning.

This new Lara didn't crash in a plane in Tibet. This Lara crash-landed on an Island in the land of the rising sun and underwear-vending machines.

You say that a story of Lara's survival through a plane-crash-landing in Tibet would be "too similar...too soon?" Similar isn't even the appropriate word to use. It'd be canon.

If it's essentially the same story, which I've said elsewhere, of Lara's survival as a youngster in some far off distant land before she started raiding tombs proper, WHY BREAK CANON? Why not keep things in Tibet, and promote the other titles that fit within that story as well? :confused:

Pietras
30th Jan 2011, 22:56
If it's essentially the same story, which I've said elsewhere, of Lara's survival as a youngster in some far off distant land before she started raiding tombs proper, WHY BREAK CANON? Why not keep things in Tibet, and promote the other titles that fit within that story as well? :confused:
Because keeping things in Tibet would mean snow scenery and the same environmental/climate-influenced survival challenges. What's not to understand here? You would have Lara crashing in snowy mountains in Legend and you would have the same thing in the reboot if they kept it happening in Tibet/Himalayas. Legend came out only 5 years ago, that's way too soon to reuse that story. Why do you think people don't like the idea of Spider-Man movie reboot? Because we're gonna see Peter Parker's high-school problems AGAIN, only 10 years after Spider-Man 1 movie. And the gap between Legend and reboot will be much smaller than 10 years. The only way to make the reboot not feel the-same-too-soon was to change the scenery from snowy mountains to something else which is exactly what they did.

TrickyVein
30th Jan 2011, 23:18
You're not understanding me here.

It wouldn't be "reusing" the story. It IS the story. We never did get to play as a younger Lara during the time of the plane-crash.

Until now. Except it's in Japan, which is where this whole conversation started. Why Japan?

Again, only possible conclusion is what I've stated before.

Pietras
31st Jan 2011, 00:35
You're not understanding me here.

It wouldn't be "reusing" the story. It IS the story. We never did get to play as a younger Lara during the time of the plane-crash.
Yes, it is (was) the story. But it would still be the-same-too-soon-again, even if we didn't play as young Lara in Hamalayas in Legend, we still saw these events.

Until now. Except it's in Japan, which is where this whole conversation started. Why Japan?

Again, only possible conclusion is what I've stated before.
Maybe because Nanpō Islands is the only well-known Bermuda-Trinagle-like region that is not actually the already-overused Bermuda Trinagle? They've started developing the reboot months before Square took over, it's silly to suspect Square 'demanded' Japan to be the location.

LC is Me
31st Jan 2011, 01:07
I care that the Japanese are involved.

They're involved with another title I'm anticipating: DX: Human Revolution. Look at Adam Jensen's hair. All the evidence you need.
All the evidence I need to confirm that you are being extremely prissy to care so much about hairstyle and not content.

Goin' places, this one.

TrickyVein
31st Jan 2011, 02:43
Awww, don't start that. You don't know me that well.

Appealing to my ego, are you? :flowers:

@ Pietras: didn't know about that bit of info. Hmm. Still don't like it, but at least now I can deal with it.

Joshorty
31st Jan 2011, 22:07
I don't get why it's not possible having the mansion in this game. Ya it's reboot but having a mansion is still possible. I don't care if it's a form of a reward as a bonus level or a level to teach you how to do basics or just to mess around with. It could be the mansion in its gloomy state where everything is still under construction or just a clean mansion to mess around.

I get the theme is all dark and survival horror and that (which the first had, which is what made it great) but it can still have a 'Lara's mansion' level. Why not?

But if it's not gonna be the game, I'm not gonna cry about it either.

Pietras
31st Jan 2011, 22:56
I don't get why it's not possible having the mansion in this game. Ya it's reboot but having a mansion is still possible. I don't care if it's a form of a reward as a bonus level or a level to teach you how to do basics or just to mess around with. It could be the mansion in its gloomy state where everything is still under construction or just a clean mansion to mess around.

I get the theme is all dark and survival horror and that (which the first had, which is what made it great) but it can still have a 'Lara's mansion' level. Why not?
The point is, what for? We've already played the mansion level SIX times. Isn't it enough? The time and resources put into developement of the mansion could be spent on the main game, making it larger, better and more polished.

Joshorty
1st Feb 2011, 01:50
The point is, what for? We've already played the mansion level SIX times. Isn't it enough? The time and resources put into developement of the mansion could be spent on the main game, making it larger, better and more polished.
I said it before and I'll say it again: I don't see why not have the mansion. I understand back in the day, graphics were not as pretty therefore they had more ways to play around the mansion levels, which is why Croft manor being more attention-to-detail around the time it came out, isn't as adventurous or big. Still, I don't see how it could hurt to have a pointless level to enjoy. Can't hurt to add a little more fun right? And again if not, then that's cool too.

Heck here's an idea for them. Make it a DLC (NOT EXCLUSIVE THIS TIME) bonus downloadable content.

And it's actually 3 times for the first 3 Tomb Raiders and two times with the Croft manors from Legend/Anniversary.

Pietras
1st Feb 2011, 03:37
I said it before and I'll say it again: I don't see why not have the mansion. I understand back in the day, graphics were not as pretty therefore they had more ways to play around the mansion levels, which is why Croft manor being more attention-to-detail around the time it came out, isn't as adventurous or big. Still, I don't see how it could hurt to have a pointless level to enjoy. Can't hurt to add a little more fun right? And again if not, then that's cool too.
Yes, it actually can hurt. Hurt the main game. It takes TIME and resources to develop each level, instead of wasting it on pointless mansion (just like you described it) they should spend it on the main game.

And it's actually 3 times for the first 3 Tomb Raiders and two times with the Croft manors from Legend/Anniversary.
It was playable in Underworld too.

Joshorty
1st Feb 2011, 04:10
Yes, it actually can hurt. Hurt the main game. It takes TIME and resources to develop each level, instead of wasting it on pointless mansion (just like you described it) they should spend it on the main game.
The reason I used pointless is because it didn't affect the main game, not in the sense it was a waste. While it being pointless outside of the main game, I still enjoyed all three Tomb Raider mansions. I don't know what's the background of the story when Tomb Raider came out in '96 to have Lara's Mansion included. What am I saying - it was a tutorial level on how to run the game's basics. But really at the same time, it was a nice home level to explore and enjoy the art and all.

If the making of a house level bothers them that much on focusing on the main game, then they can just finish making the main game first than the mansion later. Now I'm not saying this is simple and I know it takes time, seeing how complex video games have gone in design and all. I'm just saying it's a no-brainer it's still possible to include a mansion. And most of all, I'm just saying why not include one? It can't hurt to have one. And obviously, the main game should be their main focus. It's not like they're creating a whole other game for the mansion alone.

Or if they want to meet the deadline of releasing the main game on time, they can serve Lara's mansion as a DLC content later. If they do have the time and made one, then whoopee-do. Win win. It doesn't hurt to have a 'Lara's Mansion' in this new Tomb Raider.

It was playable in Underworld too.
Nah I wouldn't really count that. The whole place was on fire lol. You only explored the deepest routes (something else I wouldn't count either) and her bedroom, the hall way, and then to the stairs and to zip's office. It was just a path made for what happened in that scene.

TrickyVein
2nd Feb 2011, 01:27
Faced with a reboot, it's an open question now whether the mansion will also have to be rebooted.

If CD decides to keep the same architecture and general layout from previous titles, then you can throw any worries you'll have about the mansion "sucking away" resources and time out the window, because there's nothing to develop there, creatively.

If, on the other hand, CD decides to give the Croft estate a makeover, then this issue remains. But it's a moot point. The craft mansion is beastly fun to explore, and I don't see it as taking away time and input that's better used elsewhere. It's all going into the final product.

jtr7
2nd Feb 2011, 05:46
If all the architecture is not connected to the main plot, it's a lot of time wasted. Just because architecture and layout are the same, it doesn't mean at all that it wasn't all built from scratch again. They don't just copy and paste stuff in from other titles in game development, unless the engine is the same, and interactive objects, texts, and AI would not be copied no matter what. Not reimagining the architecture saves time, but only in the area of conceptualization, and only as far as things that are exact, and yet, it can take several meetings to settle on it, if competing ideas are too good to throw out at first. Being a reboot and a prequel of sorts, I'd expect major changes in functionality filling in the spaces within the structure itself, and a Lara that's kinda just starting out shouldn't have the same everything as a future Lara, even if the floorplans were copied over.

Cheese is nice.
2nd Feb 2011, 06:13
I don't understand your reasoning.

This new Lara didn't crash in a plane in Tibet. This Lara crash-landed on an Island in the land of the rising sun and underwear-vending machines.

Ha. Underwear vending machines. It's funny.:D

All the evidence I need to confirm that you are being extremely prissy to care so much about hairstyle and not content.

Goin' places, this one.

Dear God, LC where have you beeen all my life? I say we get married.:flowers:

As to the Mansion, I for one am not too excited on where this game is going.That being said, I also don't really want anything coming in here if the content disallows it. I think the smart( and diplomatic) approach would be to make it DLC. It's the only thing that makes sense. That's assuming CD CARES enough to make one. It doesn't have a space in the story unless she has put one of her many mansions in a dead zone in Japan, (which in theory would be a great place to avoid your taxes. Ha.) but that is something I very strongly doubt.

LC is Me
3rd Feb 2011, 01:01
Dear God, LC where have you beeen all my life? I say we get married.:flowers

DO I DAZZLE YOU?

...lul

Andy64
6th Feb 2011, 17:42
It doesn't make sense to have the mansion in this game really. I do like the mansion and hope it returns in the game following this one with a lot more things to interact with and definately the oppertunity to lock Winston in a fridge.

Mangar The Dark
4th Mar 2011, 17:34

How could there be an island "in the middle of Japan"? Aren't islands usually surrounded by water? Unless it's an island in a lake in the middle of Japan.:nut:

LC is Me
4th Mar 2011, 20:45
How could there be an island "in the middle of Japan"? Aren't islands usually surrounded by water? Unless it's an island in a lake in the middle of Japan.:nut:
Japan is nothing but a giant island comprised of tinier islands.
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l158/Suicidal_Animal_Cracker/map1h2.gif

LOL? xD

Christie Luv
5th Mar 2011, 01:54
*lol* What a professional looking map you got there. Yeah but the Japanese islands are pretty close to Japan. She might survive just by making a small floater raft out of the ruins of the bigger boat that crashed, but then that would be a pretty short game. *lol* Maybe in the story she stays on there to save some people though.

As far as the Mansion goes, in the future games that go after Underworld in the timeline, I'd love to see a new mansion that they made, since the previous one burned down.

I'd love it to be all about scenery. I'd make it a beautiful mansion with plently of fun secrets to explore and find, new outfits, have a new maze, and I'd love the training area to be outside with beautiful scenery. The gym-like ones in the previous games were kinda dull. This is Lara, she goes all out.

Maybe it could be like the sims too. *lol* That would be cool.

I guess what I'm thinking of is make it like what someone would do if they were a friend staying over at Lara's mansion and just having a fun time with here there.

xXTombRaiderXx
5th Mar 2011, 13:26
as much as i love croft manor i do not think well have it in this tomb raider , she could but very doutfull :( !!!

xXTombRaiderXx
5th Mar 2011, 13:29
*lol* What a professional looking map you got there. Yeah but the Japanese islands are pretty close to Japan. She might survive just by making a small floater raft out of the ruins of the bigger boat that crashed, but then that would be a pretty short game. *lol* Maybe in the story she stays on there to save some people though.

As far as the Mansion goes, in the future games that go after Underworld in the timeline, I'd love to see a new mansion that they made, since the previous one burned down.

I'd love it to be all about scenery. I'd make it a beautiful mansion with plently of fun secrets to explore and find, new outfits, have a new maze, and I'd love the training area to be outside with beautiful scenery. The gym-like ones in the previous games were kinda dull. This is Lara, she goes all out.

Maybe it could be like the sims too. *lol* That would be cool.

I guess what I'm thinking of is make it like what someone would do if they were a friend staying over at Lara's mansion and just having a fun time with here there. i love your idea lol :) it sounds cool

Red Meat
5th Mar 2011, 19:27
I doubtful that the next game will have Croft Manor in it. Although I'd hate to see it disappear from the games completely..

Cheese is nice.
6th Mar 2011, 03:33
DO I DAZZLE YOU?

...lul
Yes. Yes you do. :D

I doubtful that the next game will have Croft Manor in it. Although I'd hate to see it disappear from the games completely..
You forget. This is a reboot of Tomb Raider. The possibility of Croft Manor NEVER coming back is very real. I hate reboots. >:(

KellyMissMurder
7th Mar 2011, 03:14
I miss the Mansion from the first 3. That being said, it wouldn't make sense in this new one, but like someone said, make it DLC! I think thats a great idea. For most games DLC is just a bonus and doesn't necessarily make sense for the rest of the game anyway. I believe the franchise does in fact need a reboot but lets keep some of the tradition.

lookalikelara
12th Mar 2011, 23:52
I think there should be a mansion. I hate the first lvl being a tutorial... ive played every single game except the second. It could be completely unrelated to the game. But it should also have more stuff like the old one rather than the anniversary cuz there wasnt too much to do in that one. ..... the oldone actually had chanllenging puzzles and secret places like the quad room :) its not like it would screw up the story line it could just be unrelated training. uve got to keep in mind they are rebooting the whole game so hopefully there is gonna be a chunk of new players.... starting out and needing a place to train :)

raz-
20th Mar 2011, 13:29
Why do people hate the manor so much? When did it ever make sense to jump off a cliff and save just before you hit the floor, and then go to the mansion to play? In legend the manor played almost no part in in the story other than to serve as a backdrop for a couple of cutscenes.

Yes, this is a reboot. But the manor is a PART of the tomb raider franchise. I've overheard conversations of people talknig about when they played the classic games when they were little, and how "laras house was the best part!". Next thing you'll want to replace Lara with a 60 year old man or something.

Theres so much opportunity in having the manor in the game, as Christie Luv has already pointed out. People seem to think that if the developers create a manor they will forget about the rest of the game. I'm no game developer but I know it doesnt work like that.

WinterSoldierLTE
20th Mar 2011, 15:23

So I'm currently still waking up having my morning coffe, read that bit and mis-read "Maybe in the story she stays on there to save some people though." as saying "Maybe in the story she stays on there to SHAVE some people though."
I almost choked on my coffee going "WTF?!" LoL

lookalikelara
28th Mar 2011, 01:47
Why do people hate the manor so much? When did it ever make sense to jump off a cliff and save just before you hit the floor, and then go to the mansion to play? In legend the manor played almost no part in in the story other than to serve as a backdrop for a couple of cutscenes.

Yes, this is a reboot. But the manor is a PART of the tomb raider franchise. I've overheard conversations of people talknig about when they played the classic games when they were little, and how "laras house was the best part!". Next thing you'll want to replace Lara with a 60 year old man or something.

Theres so much opportunity in having the manor in the game, as Christie Luv has already pointed out. People seem to think that if the developers create a manor they will forget about the rest of the game. I'm no game developer but I know it doesnt work like that.

EXACTLY! :) in the first games the manor was not even shown in any of the story!