PDA

View Full Version : Please don't listen to the fans!

RoombelinaUK
7th Dec 2010, 11:18
I know everyone's excited and hyped up about Tomb Raider and I know how much fans enjoy posting all sorts of crazy ideas and suggestions as soon as they pop into their heads... CD started to actually read these suggestions and lept before they thought about how much it would ruin TRU. I just think that the game's better off without these suggestions because I have faith in CD (producers who most definitely know what they're doing).
So, do you agree that we should keep our evil thoughts to ourselves and so should CD?

josh1122
7th Dec 2010, 11:23
Only thing really I'd say ''never listen to the fans'' about is Sonic. Holy crap are those fans crazy

Rexie
7th Dec 2010, 16:39
Only thing really I'd say ''never listen to the fans'' about is Sonic. Holy crap are those fans crazy

And Kingdom Hearts fans. I got called a homophobe by a 13-year old because I said that I didn't like the "Rainbowing up." of certain characters.

Jason Miller
7th Dec 2010, 16:43
TR fans ftw xD

Ants_27_
7th Dec 2010, 18:51
Yep don't listen to the hardcore fans CD, they will likely drag the game down into an even deeper hole. Especially if they don't accept change! At least thats my view. That's not just TR fans though, most games. For example the hardcore Resident Evil fans are happy to just have the static camera again.

Of course not all hardcore fans but I would say a handful that are more than happy to pay for a similar game over and over again.:)

jones110
7th Dec 2010, 20:24
I just hope the game is good...

Then it has appearance... :o

Denis..
7th Dec 2010, 21:30

yeah i agree with joshy here..most likely they gonna ruin it just like they did with tru..thumbs up for the best ever tr

IvanaKC
7th Dec 2010, 22:38
TR fans are the best! :D
I think we have the best ideas! Not just crazy ones, but the ones that actually might work. For example, everyone wanted realistic violence, wounds and mature content...and did we get it? Yes we did. And those weren't crazy ideas.

josh1122
7th Dec 2010, 22:40
TR fans are the best! :D
I think we have the best ideas! Not just crazy ones, but the ones that actually might work. For example, everyone wanted realistic violence, wounds and mature content...and did we get it? Yes we did. And those weren't crazy ideas.

but they weren't extremely needed ones either. Good ones? yeah, absolutely needed? no.

kalle90
7th Dec 2010, 23:18
So what are absolutely needed?

I just realized this thing screams Splinter Cell Conviction again. Everything is changed, developers are repeating "Forget everything you know about this name" and in the end many are left complaining because it's not "Tomb Raider"

So please, you can still change the name of the game and the main character. Change the name into Lethal Adventure or something and the main character into Heidi Jackson or something. If the game is good people will find it and if it sucks you get the same ****storm you got with TRU, TRA, TRL, AOD, TRC...

Pulse
7th Dec 2010, 23:30
They aren't gonna listen to you^

We just done told em not do :p

hakumen001
8th Dec 2010, 09:12
(Responding to OP)

This is the worst piece of irrational garbage I have ever read. Don't listen to the fans? Yes please dont listen to the ones that are supporting your series and bottom line and keeping you in business... WTF?! I hope that was a bad joke you didnt think through before posting. CD should listen to the fans and decide for themselves if something is worth implementing or not if it would benefit them/the fans and the franchise. Would I listen to making LC a man with pink hair because one crazy fan asked for it? No, but if the majority of fans find a fault with the game mechanics and they never fix it, that would prove they aren't worth their salt as a Dev. If a fan or two has a amazing idea and they can add it to the world and make it make sense, there is no reason not to do so, if they feel like adding it, but telling them to not listen to the fans and posting "please don't listen to us" is idiotic. You're telling them not to listen to you, but they have to listen to you to not listen to you. :mad2:

Post like this make my head hurt...

RoombelinaUK
8th Dec 2010, 13:45
(Responding to OP)

This is the worst piece of irrational garbage I have ever read. Don't listen to the fans? Yes please dont listen to the ones that are supporting your series and bottom line and keeping you in business... WTF?! I hope that was a bad joke you didnt think through before posting. CD should listen to the fans and decide for themselves if something is worth implementing or not if it would benefit them/the fans and the franchise. Would I listen to making LC a man with pink hair because one crazy fan asked for it? No, but if the majority of fans find a fault with the game mechanics and they never fix it, that would prove they aren't worth their salt as a Dev. If a fan or two has a amazing idea and they can add it to the world and make it make sense, there is no reason not to do so, if they feel like adding it, but telling them to not listen to the fans and posting "please don't listen to us" is idiotic. You're telling them not to listen to you, but they have to listen to you to not listen to you. :mad2:

Post like this make my head hurt...

Do us all a favor and read all the posts in this thread including mine.:)

Denis..
8th Dec 2010, 13:56
Do us all a favor and read all the posts in this thread including mine.:)

including mine kid!

hiMe
8th Dec 2010, 14:54
To the contrary, they might have listened to my "fake story" suggestion of GoL. i.e. saying it's all about when she got stranded off the coast of an island. And that I wanna see more of Japan. I has proof too :3

Pulse
8th Dec 2010, 22:56
To the contrary, they might have listened to my "fake story" suggestion of GoL. i.e. saying it's all about when she got stranded off the coast of an island. And that I wanna see more of Japan. I has proof too :3

I had the thread that started the M rating business. I deserve credit.

I'm joking, but I guess if we're going to take credit for the ideas in this game, I get that one :rolleyes:

_Love2Raid_
9th Dec 2010, 01:50
No. Listening to sensible fans wouldn't hurt. :p

I know that we all seem to want something else, but sometimes there is a general consensus about certain aspects. Those could be incorporated in the game. I see no problem with that.

QiX
9th Dec 2010, 06:30
I've seen the silliest ideas coming from long time fans, and since they already have an awesome concept I'd say put cotton in their ears and avoid reading forums too much. They are doing great so far.

But I didn't vote yet, cause I didn't understand the question. "No" in the case does not make a double negative, I assume. :scratch:

hiMe
9th Dec 2010, 10:17
They must listen to fans cos obviously we're their target audience. If they don't get that bit right then what would be the point in developing a game. I'm doing Computer Science as a degree right now. And I know how friggin hard it is to do all that programming, designing etc. And you can't have that without a few startup ideas, influenced by the audience. Which is us :3 I bet they refer to us all the time "But THEY want more BOOOBS!" rofl.

LC is Me
9th Dec 2010, 22:27
CD started to actually read these suggestions and lept before they thought about how much it would ruin TRU

TRU won't hve any relevance to the new game because the entire series is being rebooted. TRU was good but it needed more. Now that CD is finally talking that opportunity, people complain about it because they think the old way of creating TR is good enough when clearly it isn't.

Telling business minded people not to take into consideration what their customers want in their product is like saying they don't care about not only the success of their product but catering to the general consumer public. Now, granted, there are certain boundaries that shouldn't be crossed, I think that CD taking a chance to make real, progressive change in the series is commendable. As it's been said, listening to sensible ideas is a norm I would think amongst companies. They may not be directly used but they will be implemented in some shape or fashion. I'm ready for TR to get a little tough and brutal. I've BEEN ready. And until we have more info besides those scans and a teaser or something, we can't really.....complain. I mean we could...but....MEH. I just find it pointless to whine about how bad TRU was then come back later when CD tries to change the series and start fresh and say TRU was awesome and nothing needs to change. If that were the case, the comments made about the stagnation of the series wouldn't have been so prevalent in those scans and in the gaming community itself.

/shot
/ramble

raz-
10th Dec 2010, 22:47
My honest opinion? The fans have ruined tomb raider.
GET RID OF THE OUTFITS, THEYRE POINTLESS
WE NEED MORE PUZZLES
THERE ARENT ENOUGH TOMBS
OMG I HATE KILLING PRETEND ANIMALS

So what do they do?

Get rid of the unlockables, so no replay value.
Make stupidly difficult puzzles which force everyone onto walkthroughs.
Make the game boring and repepetive with dull tomb levels throughout.
Tranquilizer gun. Seriously?

Legend was the best tomb raider game in my opinion, and now its becoming this deep emotional journey, and thats not what tomb raider is about!!!

LC is Me
11th Dec 2010, 00:51
My honest opinion? The fans have ruined tomb raider.
GET RID OF THE OUTFITS, THEYRE POINTLESS
WE NEED MORE PUZZLES
THERE ARENT ENOUGH TOMBS
OMG I HATE KILLING PRETEND ANIMALS

So what do they do?

Get rid of the unlockables, so no replay value.
Make stupidly difficult puzzles which force everyone onto walkthroughs.
Make the game boring and repepetive with dull tomb levels throughout.
Tranquilizer gun. Seriously?

Legend was the best tomb raider game in my opinion, and now its becoming this deep emotional journey, and thats not what tomb raider is about!!!
Errm, outfits = replay value??? I'm confused.

None of the puzzles in Underworld (I assume you're speaking of Underworld, correct me if otherwise) were really all that hard. At least not to me. Not to the point where I needed a walkthrough.

"Becoming" a deep emotional journey?
I figured it became that way around...Last Revelation. :B
Like, five games ago. xD

If you don't like the tranquilizer gun, don't use it? I use it when I'm playing around on levels like Thailand to toy with the sharks a bit when I get bored.

aussie500
11th Dec 2010, 04:48
Listening to the fans does not necessarily mean they are going to do what the fans want, but if we never say what we want how are they expected to know?

millertimemike
11th Dec 2010, 09:20
Why change the concept of the game it looks to me they just want to make TR a shoot em up we have already got uncharted no need to copy looks like programs only have i thing in the heads make it a shoot em up why dont you go the hole hog and make fifa a shoot em up no talent in them, keep TR to what the name means exploring good hard puzzles not any fancy shoot em up, GOL how crap was that not a TR game for sure hope the main game is miles away from that

millertimemike
11th Dec 2010, 09:23
Legend was total crap just follow the path and that was that BORING

kalle90
11th Dec 2010, 12:48
Legend was total crap just follow the path and that was that BORING

Once again I can't understand why people have so opposite reactions. Some love Legend and some hate it. IMO Underworld and Anniversary were miles better than Legend

I absolutely love the gameplay concept CD is going for now, but essentially I don't think anything warrants names Tomb Raider or Lara Croft

Jurre
12th Dec 2010, 15:23
I agree with the OP that harsh criticism from oldskool fans on Legend has done much damage on the potential of Underworld. I was not around here when Legend came out but I heard people took to the streets to revolt against it. I think Crystal D was trying to make a really modern game, that featured several things that we see now in Uncharted and Assassins Creed (has anyone noticed the very Alister-like character in Assassins Creed II & Brotherhood?) Starting to think of it: Legend was in many ways an Uncharted-prototype. If they had continued in that direction with improvements on the combat and platforming I think the result might have been essentialy Uncharted: Lara's Fortune. Instead I got Underworld...
But now that four years have passed with the series spinning around in all directions I don't think there will be such a flood of deconstructive criticism anymore: now that everyone has got used to the idea of change. My hope is that the developers can keep this series in a straight line for a while: keep it coherent with the facts established earlier, instead of making every game feel different. Like Assassins Creed: with every new game there are improvements in the gameplay department, but in the story department it still feels exactly the same; it remains loyal to its predecessor and it builds on on those facts established there.
Anyway, returning to the question: instead of "don't listen" I'd say: listen to constructive criticism and suggestions from people who genuinely love the series and see if you find some ideas you like.

DamianGraham
13th Dec 2010, 23:25
CD knows what theyre doing. @millertimemike... Legend wasn't as crappy as AoD :))) haha so, remember that. and anni was great, as was legend. Crystal has proved to me masters of their craft so i think we should all stop the rabidness and let them work with no pressure ;)