PDA

View Full Version : No Subtitle?

Pulse
6th Dec 2010, 23:08
Is the title simply Tomb Raider?

I'm not sure if the subtitles for Underworld or Legend were revealed at the debut announcement, but there is nothing so far which seems strange for a multiple page preview with the information we have.

Danielsun_
6th Dec 2010, 23:10
reboot of everything, just Tomb Raider

still hoping for keeley though :p

Treeble
7th Dec 2010, 00:26
Yup, it's been announced simply as "TOMB RAIDER". All caps, even, lol. :D

I like it, nevertheless, and it's rather refreshing when you read news about Tomb Raider, instead of news about Tomb Raider: The Untarnished Secrets of the Deadly Guampala Island, or something. Not that we ever went to that extreme, of course.

kalle90
7th Dec 2010, 08:13
What this does do is that finding sites about the actual original game becomes impossible

Couldn't the subtitles be Origins or Survivor

josh1122
7th Dec 2010, 09:11
Actually its good its not subtitled Survivor otherwise we'd get horrible music videos with Destiny Child and their song ''Survivor''

then again we still might. Were doomed :(

CaddieShepherd
7th Dec 2010, 09:38
It would be great to be titled

A Survivor is Born : Tomb Raider

BlueSkiesXXV
7th Dec 2010, 10:24
No subtitle...A real reboot :)

hiMe
8th Dec 2010, 15:18
ORRRR, you could say "Tomby" [pronounced toomy] like my bf's mum says. I don't know if being a geordie is required to say it like that. rofl

Ants_27_
8th Dec 2010, 17:03
Well it's straight to the point so therefore it's slightly more appealing than something like 'Tomb Raider: Survivor'.

After years of getting TR games with sub-titles that haven't really done that well financially I don't think (please correct me if I am wrong); its probably more symbolic to the idea that they are going back to the start, just as if it were in fact the original TR.

kalle90
8th Dec 2010, 17:43
Thing is this isn't the original either. I understand CD might not care about Core's achievements but it's still true. I see just huge confusion ahead when some people mean the actual 1st game and some mean this

It does make sense from business standpoint, but you could say I'm anti-business

LARALOVERnr1
8th Dec 2010, 18:35
I like the title. It's just really impractical to search it. When you just enter ''Tomb Raider'' in google or youtube, you'll end up with lots of crap other than this Tomb Raider, and when you search for ''Tomb Raider 2010'' you'll end up with lots of fan-trailers.

This game isn't gonna make it. It'll die a silent death because nobody will be able to find it by googeling it... :(

sarcastic

But it's good, though. It really fits the reboot-thing :)

RainaAudron
8th Dec 2010, 18:43
I do not understand why there is no sub title - not only people will confuse the TR abrevation with the old Tomb Raider but also this appears to have nothing in common with raiding tombs so far... If it is based on survival, why not indicate it in the title as well? It is very misleading and confusing :hmm:

Ants_27_
8th Dec 2010, 18:55
Well films seem to be running out of title ideas too... (then again Hollywood in general have run out of ideas) Films get to about the fourth film then give it the name of the original.

Sometimes subtitles seem tacky to be honest and sometimes something needs just the main title and nothing more. :)

kalle90
8th Dec 2010, 19:14
What happened to 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6... This reminds me of the Angry Video Game Nerd with his video about Aliens and what else. This is a reboot but like someone said there is no sign this game is about raiding. She shipwrecks and goes "Oh good there are tombs here :)" while the other survivors just wait nicely?

I can only say **** happens. Luckily this is a small one

dark7angel
8th Dec 2010, 19:33
I like the idea that this game will just be titled Tomb Raider! No subtitles, no numeral... I think it does work well!!!

_Love2Raid_
9th Dec 2010, 01:55
It was my first choice, yay. :D

Sense and simplicity. :thumb:

(No, I don't work at Philips. O_o)

QiX
9th Dec 2010, 06:17
I like it being just Tomb Raider, tout court. But I bet the fan community will keep calling it TR Origins or Reborn unofficially. Some titles are just too sticky, despite the official name.

hiMe
9th Dec 2010, 10:19
It's going all Star wars on us. Releasing prologues and epilogues. Quite cool actually. :D
This one is "TOMB RAIDER 0" then :o but saying the 0 bit sounds silly.

BlueSkiesXXV
9th Dec 2010, 11:16
Losing the number and the subtitle is great for a reboot.
It also worked well for the recent Medal of Honor :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/blueskies55/TR_New.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/blueskies55/MoH-1.jpg

Treeble
9th Dec 2010, 17:45
Although not as recent, Prince of Persia also comes to mind. :)

http://www.nextgn.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/princeofpersia1.jpg

kalle90
9th Dec 2010, 18:12
Maybe it's just me but both of those are fails in my eyes, and they're not that huge commercially or critically either. Plus they basically wiped away the original MoH and PoP from the face of the earth (younger people don't know them and googling ignores them). And they have very little to do with the originals

So if anything that just strengthens my resolve to hate the name :P

josh1122
9th Dec 2010, 19:45
Maybe it's just me but both of those are fails in my eyes, and they're not that huge commercially or critically either. Plus they basically wiped away the original MoH and PoP from the face of the earth (younger people don't know them and googling ignores them). And they have very little to do with the originals

So if anything that just strengthens my resolve to hate the name :P

I agree, Medal Of Honor felt like a Battlefield/COD clone,which basically thats all war type FPS's are. If you played one of them,you've played them all.

Also ugh at the last Pop. That game was just awful, but the older ones were great

Treeble
9th Dec 2010, 20:59
The last POP was "The Forgotten Sands", which was indeed just awful.

Still, you can't blame whether these games were good or bad just because of the fact they are reboots. Jaded franchises need something done to them, another game crafted the same way as the last three were wouldn't cut it. The risk they're taking here is much bigger (the whole rebranding thing) than anyone could have anticipated.

Sure, they could have just added a subtitle there, but would that really make things any different? Like someone said a couple posts above, throw "Tomb Raider" into any search engine and you get almost no results for the first game itself, and if you do find something, you're more than likely to find all of the series in that same website, including both the 1996 Tomb Raider and the 201X Tomb Raider.

josh1122
9th Dec 2010, 21:29
game should be called ''LARA CROFT'' not ''TOMB RAIDER''

kalle90
9th Dec 2010, 21:34
How about
The Survivor: Japan

No?

Pulse
9th Dec 2010, 22:40
game should be called ''LARA CROFT'' not ''TOMB RAIDER''

There could be Tombs in it... No one ever said there weren't.

Besides Lara Croft games are arcade titles.

kalle90
9th Dec 2010, 22:44
There has been 1 Lara Croft game... But I wouldn't name the game simply "Lara Croft" either

hiMe
10th Dec 2010, 21:33
Never has been just Lara Croft. And shouldn't tbh. Since the game is based on raiding tombs [via beautiful lady]. Now if it was a film then yeahhh sureee go for it. Like Tamara Drew and shiz. But games usually are called something to do with the game play. Like Modern warfare, or killzone, or super mario brothers, or metal gear solid [ish] rofl.