PDA

View Full Version : Since you're already making good use of SE's CGI department... (cross-promotion idea)

darkpen
6th Dec 2010, 15:14
It kind of just struck me:

Seeing how Deus Ex is all sci-fi black-leather-ified, and with how Adam looks all swank with his outfit, wouldn't it be appropriate to maybe discuss with someone at Square-Enix Japan for some internal brand cross-promotion between Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Final Fantasy Versus XIII? I mean, last I checked, Noctis, the main character for that game, also was in an urban-decay-esque futuristic setting, and also wearing black, with extra emphasis on his suite of professionally designed real-world clothing. Not to mention the shared quasi-renaissance future-Italy mafia motif they have going on.

There's some real potential for greater Square-Enix/Eidos brand awareness, and I don't see how it couldn't hurt (outside of additional man hours spent on implementing the skin and bug testing it so far into development).

Could someone pass the idea on to EM's marketing department? :D

Ilves
6th Dec 2010, 15:59
You keep your FF out of my DX, for pete's sake!

Ashpolt
6th Dec 2010, 16:17
:mad2: No. Thanks.

Anasumtj
6th Dec 2010, 16:22
I have a terrible feeling this could one day happen.

Deltaslayer
6th Dec 2010, 16:25
LOL, no.

WildcatPhoenix
6th Dec 2010, 16:32
Oh....dear.....GOD....it's happening!

IOOI
6th Dec 2010, 16:51
Muwahhahahahahahaha :naughty:

I don't care. It's not the end of Deus Ex yet, but I can see it from here.

ZakKa89
6th Dec 2010, 16:51
Please dont compare final fantasy with deus ex. There is no way it's in the same setting. I am not even going to explain why.

Happy
6th Dec 2010, 17:15
It kind of just struck me:

Seeing how Deus Ex is all sci-fi black-leather-ified, and with how Adam looks all swank with his outfit, wouldn't it be appropriate to maybe discuss with someone at Square-Enix Japan for some internal brand cross-promotion between Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Final Fantasy Versus XIII? I mean, last I checked, Noctis, the main character for that game, also was in an urban-decay-esque futuristic setting, and also wearing black, with extra emphasis on his suite of professionally designed real-world clothing. Not to mention the shared quasi-renaissance future-Italy mafia motif they have going on.

There's some real potential for greater Square-Enix/Eidos brand awareness, and I don't see how it couldn't hurt (outside of additional man hours spent on implementing the skin and bug testing it so far into development).

Could someone pass the idea on to EM's marketing department? :D

Run - run very far away before the "fans" get you :)

St. Mellow
6th Dec 2010, 18:40
That's just wrong, man. :hmm:

CoDEllite
6th Dec 2010, 18:41
sounds like a neat idea actually. But I'm sure Eidos marketing has already thought of it by now. Maybe a fighting game in the vein of Marvel vs. Capcom? Now THAT would be cool. With SQUARE at the helm this franchise really has a lot of potential.

cartridge
6th Dec 2010, 18:44
You keep your FF out of my DX, for pete's sake!

Seconded.

WildcatPhoenix
6th Dec 2010, 18:49
sounds like a neat idea actually. But I'm sure Eidos marketing has already thought of it by now. Maybe a fighting game in the vein of Marvel vs. Capcom? Now THAT would be cool. With SQUARE at the helm this franchise really has a lot of potential.

You truly are from a different species than me, CoD. It's fascinating...or terrifying, I'm not sure. :hmm:

Anasumtj
6th Dec 2010, 19:09
He's fake, I'm sure of it.

ZakKa89
6th Dec 2010, 19:18
You truly are from a different species than me, CoD. It's fascinating...or terrifying, I'm not sure. :hmm:

Lol knowing your opinions, somebody who's nick is CODElite (not that there is anything wrong with that) is defintely from a different species than you. :D

Irate_Iguana
6th Dec 2010, 19:47
He's fake, I'm sure of it.

Like hell he is! CoDEllite is a true Bro!

IOOI
6th Dec 2010, 22:36
Like hell he is! CoDEllite is a true Bro!

I've seen better on SPUF. That was a real CoDBro!

mad825
6th Dec 2010, 22:42
http://static.gamesradar.com/images/mb/GamesRadar/us/Features/2010/03/5%20reasons%20to%20hate%20franchise/Finished/finalfantasy--article_image.jpg

Over my dead body.

This is not a FF game nor will it be ever! If you dont like go suck-it up with some crappy FF7

darkpen
6th Dec 2010, 23:41
mad825, you're just... a mad person, aren't you? An FF7 parody drawing? That's... appropriately Deus Ex 1 release era of you...? Are some of the people on these boards stuck in the 90's? :S

That's not really what I meant, but I'm also a huge sucker for cross over games (i.e Smash Bros, MvC, etc), so it wouldn't be outside the realm of possibilities.

Some, if not all of the replies in the thread have been pretty funny, though.

Please dont compare final fantasy with deus ex. There is no way it's in the same setting. I am not even going to explain why.

That never stopped Ubisoft Montreal and Kojima Productions from working together, now did it?

The smallest of shared themes and motifs are enough to spark a growing business relationship. In this case, cyberpunk renaissance and swank clothing.

Now, everyone just chant with me:

Corporate Synergy
Corporate Synergy
Corporate Synergy
Corporate Synergy
Corporate Synergy...

:group_hug:

3rdmillhouse
7th Dec 2010, 02:11
Oh God, please no.

thedosbox
7th Dec 2010, 02:16
I'd love to see the reaction here if the DX in-game movies all featured pretty men with large eyes, perfect hair and glossy lips. :D

Skin
7th Dec 2010, 02:29
Remember this? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yEj1yWhSoc&feature=related) :p

Gaunt88
7th Dec 2010, 03:01
I could stand an easter egg hidden somewhere in both games. Like a poster or an NPC, but that's it.

lithos
7th Dec 2010, 03:24
Square "For the Furries and Cosplayers!!!" Enix have gotten enough of their greasy, Pocky-smeared fingers all over this game.

mad825
7th Dec 2010, 03:40
mad825, you're just... a mad person, aren't you? An FF7 parody drawing? That's... appropriately Deus Ex 1 release era of you...? Are some of the people on these boards stuck in the 90's?

you are putting more thought into that statement than that was originally intended, in any case being "stuck in the 90s" can be applied to the Final Fantasy series quite easily and I do think that this subject on applying Final Fantasy to another game/franchise is somewhat also so 90s.

lithos
7th Dec 2010, 05:26
mad825, you're just... a mad person, aren't you? An FF7 parody drawing? That's... appropriately Deus Ex 1 release era of you...? Are some of the people on these boards stuck in the 90's? :S

Errr...

I would say "pot calling the kettle black," but it's more like pot calling something that's not even black or a cooking utensil black.

ZakKa89
7th Dec 2010, 07:30
What does kojima productions have to do with this? When did they work together with eidos? I am so confused.

Angel-A
7th Dec 2010, 08:39
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f310/Pinky_Powers/DeusExFantasy.jpg

You see that? Are you happy? Huh? Huh?

Brockxz
7th Dec 2010, 08:57

Dear God, please not that ****. When something that happens to games i love, most likely i will just stop play games. If EM will do something like that i will be one of the first who will be standing next to their main hq with torch and pitchfork in my hands :D

Kvltism
7th Dec 2010, 09:00
Oh dear.

Agreed with all "keep your FF out of my DX" comments.

mad825
7th Dec 2010, 16:15
gah!

gee, at least have someone respectable like Auron.

darkpen
7th Dec 2010, 21:10

you are putting more thought into that statement than that was originally intended, in any case being "stuck in the 90s" can be applied to the Final Fantasy series quite easily and I do think that this subject on applying Final Fantasy to another game/franchise is somewhat also so 90s.

Haha, I agree with that.

What does kojima productions have to do with this? When did they work together with eidos? I am so confused.

Ubisoft Montreal, not Eidos :)

lol @ the photoshop.

ZakKa89
7th Dec 2010, 21:12
ok what does that have to do with this?

darkpen
7th Dec 2010, 22:01
ok what does that have to do with this?

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1536318&postcount=19

:I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI3XJ1I_MWs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpid_meH5FY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ol777NbjX4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arg909NAsKI

hem dazon 90
7th Dec 2010, 22:30
weaboos ruin everything

example

Before:
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs14/f/2007/005/2/e/Hijab_by_shadowdevil502.jpg
After
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/307/9/3/9343721848af13a812a823452bc369e1-d3246rw.jpg

ZakKa89
7th Dec 2010, 23:48
lol nice example

hem dazon 90
8th Dec 2010, 00:15
lol nice example

Exactly.

My Muslim girl fetish took a serious hit after seeing that :(

ZakKa89
8th Dec 2010, 00:18
Exactly.

My Muslim girl fetish took a serious hit after seeing that :(

ok as long as you stay away from my sister. ;)

IOOI
8th Dec 2010, 00:46

Wel I'll go further than that, since almost the entire scene of japonese artists (like Square Enix's) are still very attached to the 80's.

hem dazon 90
8th Dec 2010, 00:54
ok as long as you stay away from my sister. ;)

I will don't worry ;) there's enough here in the good ole USA.

TheYouthCounselor
8th Dec 2010, 06:32

http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/indiana-jones-finest/melty-toht.gif

I just had the sickening thought of Lucius De Beers and Bob Page with long gazelle legs donned in skintight leather, peacock feathers, and long luxurious hair decapitating the Statue of Liberty with nanoswords that are as long as they are tall.

AlexOfSpades
8th Dec 2010, 06:51
I just had the sickening thought of Lucius De Beers and Bob Page with long gazelle legs donned in skintight leather, peacock feathers, and long luxurious hair decapitating the Statue of Liberty with nanoswords that are as long as they are tall.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

NO, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NO!!!

Angel A, delete that.

Delete that from your hard disk. Take off the bolts of your computer, remove the hard disk. Throw holy water on it. Put a cross over it, in the midnight of a wednesday with the full moon at two AM. Then you grab a GEP gun and explode Photobucket's servers to ensure that this absurd profanity was destroyed forever.

NOW!!! There's no time!!!!

Jerion
8th Dec 2010, 07:18
I don't know...in a twisted kind of way I want to see that now.

lithos
8th Dec 2010, 07:54

Don't you get kicked out of the Bro'Hood for liking Square games? You know, the other bros call a meeting, make you pull up your pants to your waist, shape the brim of your trucker cap and put it on straight, laser off your bicep tattoo and confiscate your Fiddy Cent CDs?

TheYouthCounselor
8th Dec 2010, 09:04
Don't you get kicked out of the Bro'Hood for liking Square games? You know, the other bros call a meeting, make you pull up your pants to your waist, shape the brim of your trucker cap and put it on straight, laser off your bicep tattoo and confiscate your Fiddy Cent CDs?

Nah, man. Iz likeka gang. You wan' out of da gang, dey beat it outta joo!

darkpen
8th Dec 2010, 09:16

lol

The peacock feathers are a bit much. The way you just described the outfits is dangerously treading from "Final Fantasy official concept art" to "Final Fantasy deviantArt fanart."

In fact, in a parallel universe, you just inspired an unknowing child to write a horrendous Deus Ex fanfic about flamboyantly metrosexual villains tearing it up in the Big Apple.

ZakKa89
8th Dec 2010, 09:27
lol
In fact, in a parallel universe, you just inspired an unknowing child to write a horrendous Deus Ex fanfic about flamboyantly metrosexual villains tearing it up in the Big Apple.

No you did, Darkpen, you did! D:

Rindill the Red
8th Dec 2010, 13:26
I don't know...in a twisted kind of way I want to see that now.

What, you mean in a car-crash-on-the-side-of-the-rode-can't-look-away way?

Or do you mean in a sadistic, look at all those Deus Ex fans lighting themselves on fire kind of way?

Or do you mean in a masochistic... God it's so horrible, oh yeah, keep doing that kind of way?

darkpen
8th Dec 2010, 14:02

Or do you mean in a sadistic, look at all those Deus Ex fans lighting themselves on fire kind of way?

Or do you mean in a masochistic... God it's so horrible, oh yeah, keep doing that kind of way?

I think he probably means in the sadomasochistic fetishist driving on the highway only to slow down and see the car crash on the side of the road and can't look away as two deus ex cosplayers fight with toy lightsabers in front of the scene kind of way.

Right?

Jerion
8th Dec 2010, 15:08
More of a Star Wars Christmas Special kind of way, where it's so bad that you can't look away.

darkpen
9th Dec 2010, 02:58
All joking aside, I am quite serious about the proposition. I think it would be a missed business opportunity to let this slip by. Cross-fanbase genre promotion is the best way to get the word around to other "hardcore" gamers who may be more interested in what they know, than what they've never really given thought to checking out.

Deus Ex, as a brand, holds high respect amongst PC gaming RPG enthusiasts, primarily in the western design sense, but Final Fantasy holds a larger gender split, and holds a global market mindshare, similar to something like Metal Gear Solid.

Deus Ex already has an appeal to the Japanese market through its western cyberpunk aesthetic, and DE3's stylishness speaks for itself. But it also has no brand foot hold there either. While I imagine that S-E will make every effort to make the game a success in its own domestic market, the subject of this thread is an area that I can see there being less of a push for. More hooks for sales = profit. So why not?

Not to mention, there's an undeniably large and untapped market in the Final Fantasy-friendly demographic that a hook like a cameo outfit or skin would attract. So why deny that additional market share?

On a side note: I'm kind of hoping that the western release of DE3 will include multi language tracks. After watching the Japanese TGS trailer, there were a whole lot of people who felt a huge Ghost in the Shell vibe, and I imagine it'd be pretty cool to have the option there for those who want it regardless. You know, if the disc space allows for it, anyways (*cough*blu-ray*cough*).

mad825
9th Dec 2010, 03:10
All joking aside, I am quite serious about the proposition. I think it would be a missed business opportunity to let this slip by. Cross-fanbase genre promotion is the best way to get the word around to other "hardcore" gamers who may be more interested in what they know, than what they've never really given thought to checking out.

Deus Ex, as a brand, holds high respect amongst PC gaming RPG enthusiasts, primarily in the western design sense, but Final Fantasy holds a larger gender split, and holds a global market mindshare, similar to something like Metal Gear Solid.

Deus Ex already has an appeal to the Japanese market through its western cyberpunk aesthetic, and DE3's stylishness speaks for itself. But it also has no brand foot hold there either. While I imagine that S-E will make every effort to make the game a success in its own domestic market, the subject of this thread is an area that I can see there being less of a push for. More hooks for sales = profit. So why not?

Not to mention, there's an undeniably large and untapped market in the Final Fantasy-friendly demographic that a hook like a cameo outfit or skin would attract. So why deny that additional market share?

On a side note: I'm kind of hoping that the western release of DE3 will include multi language tracks. After watching the Japanese TGS trailer, there were a whole lot of people who felt a huge Ghost in the Shell vibe, and I imagine it'd be pretty cool to have the option there for those who want it regardless. You know, if the disc space allows for it, anyways (*cough*blu-ray*cough*).

If SE wanted a FF style game then I don't think they would have revived DX, SE doesn't make any decisions on what gaming elements that would be in the game as this would be left to the developer (game designers ect.) and even so! It's too late to make any major changes like this to the game.

if you are really so sad and want a ****ty story with over-hyped graphics then go somewhere else (yes, FF stories suck balls).

blu-ray only applies to petty consoles.

Uzuki
9th Dec 2010, 06:36

More of a Star Wars Christmas Special kind of way, where it's so bad that you can't look away.

This isn't related in the way the Tidus Ex picture is, but I'm afraid it's the worst thing you may ever hear.

I present you Florence Foster Jenkins. I actually haven't made it past the first minute of 3:43 total.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM6qntPpyZ0

Btw, I like the OP's basic idea of "get more people interested in Deus Ex" but I quote the oft used line from Gandalf, "He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."

ZakKa89
9th Dec 2010, 10:59

I would love a japanese audio track :). Ok man this is what I'll suggest: You can put something minor from deus ex into final fantasy like a Trailer or whatever but keep your FF out of my deus ex.

AxiomaticBadger
9th Dec 2010, 13:17
I suppose it'd be ok if there's a store that stocks SE products in the game ("2 credits on the black market..." for precidence), maybe with a couple of cosplayers inside. Because let's face it, in a game set at least partially in asia it wouldn't look out of place in the slightest.

Mixing gameplay would be like mixing a Bacon-Egg-Onionring-Half-Pounder Cheeseburger with Skittles.
FF games are the cheesy airport romances in the library of the games industry. They have thier place, but mix them with Deus Ex's Dracula, and all you'll get out of it is Twilight.

Jerion
9th Dec 2010, 15:45
FF games are the cheesy airport romances in the library of the games industry. They have thier place, but mix them with Deus Ex's Dracula, and all you'll get out of it is Twilight.

This is signature worthy.

MaxxQ1
9th Dec 2010, 16:29
I suppose it'd be ok if there's a store that stocks SE products in the game ("2 credits on the black market..." for precidence), maybe with a couple of cosplayers inside. Because let's face it, in a game set at least partially in asia it wouldn't look out of place in the slightest.

Mixing gameplay would be like mixing a Bacon-Egg-Onionring-Half-Pounder Cheeseburger with Skittles.

Vampires don't sparkle, dammit!!!

Sorry... That's my Pavlovian response whenever that word is mentioned.

This is signature worthy.

+1

Pinky_Powers
9th Dec 2010, 22:32

Good to see my work still appreciated after all these months. I somehow knew it would be a fine investment of my time. :cool:

[FGS]Shadowrunner
9th Dec 2010, 23:04
lol someone compared a computer video game to Deus Ex.

MaxxQ1
10th Dec 2010, 07:15
All joking aside,

You mean your original post was serious?

:lol:

darkpen
10th Dec 2010, 11:58
If SE wanted a FF style game then I don't think they would have revived DX, SE doesn't make any decisions on what gaming elements that would be in the game as this would be left to the developer (game designers ect.) and even so! It's too late to make any major changes like this to the game.

if you are really so sad and want a ****ty story with over-hyped graphics then go somewhere else (yes, FF stories suck balls).

blu-ray only applies to petty consoles.
There are so many things wrong with this post, I don't know where to start.

Where in the world does this blu-ray comment come from? That is such an amazingly petty thing to say. I mentioned blu-ray purely based on the fact that there's a **** load of space for the taking on the format, unlike DVD9, thus allowing for multiple language tracks. The PC platform, however, is a non-issue.

Who said anything about SE "reviving" DX and wanting to use that as an outlet for making an FF style game? Either you're very poor at reading comprehension, or I don't know what. Not to mention, IIRC, the DX3 brand revival was well into being green-lit and pre-production before the S-E purchase.

And for a moment there, when you said "if you really are so sad and want a ****ty story with over-hyped graphics," I thought you were actually dissing the game that this entire board is based around :S

I honestly think you didn't read a single thing I actually typed up, and just went and hit the quote button with angry FF-hate nerdrage.

My ENTIRE POINT FOR THIS THREAD is based on the idea of A) Eidos and S-E better leveraging brand potential via cross-promotion, and B) Do said cross-promotion by including little things that will in no way adversely affect the game itself, i.e. an alternate outfit/skin for Adam, specifically anything from FFvXIII's Noctis's wardrobe, and do the same thing for Final Fantasy versus XIII when that comes out, with Noctis having an alt skin/outfit based on Adam's black coat.

Seriously, that's all I've been suggesting this entire time. Learn to read.

I would love a japanese audio track :). Ok man this is what I'll suggest: You can put something minor from deus ex into final fantasy like a Trailer or whatever but keep your FF out of my deus ex.
Read above. But yes, a trailer would be nice.

That's what I've been essentially getting at. No more, no less.

I'd like to know where you got the notion of someone recommending mixing gameplay styles. I certainly didn't. Please feel free to comb my previous posts to see where I said such a terrible thing.

This isn't related in the way the Tidus Ex picture is, but I'm afraid it's the worst thing you may ever hear.

I present you Florence Foster Jenkins. I actually haven't made it past the first minute of 3:43 total.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM6qntPpyZ0

Btw, I like the OP's basic idea of "get more people interested in Deus Ex" but I quote the oft used line from Gandalf, "He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."

But again, how would this be "breaking" or invading into the game's sanctity or validity as a wholesome, Deus Ex product? What I'm suggesting isn't "Hay gaiz, SQUARE-ENIX JAPAN shuld TOTALLY tell EM to put in CLOUD AND SEPHIROTH into Deus Ex 3 so that more people will buy it, derp derp.

"And make it turn-based. With Chocobos."

...Was I completely unclear in my original post? There seems to be some widespread confusion about what I'm proposing.

Should I have used key words like "non-invasive" and "will not affect the final product in any adverse manner"?

Edit: Wow, that lady really is bad at singing. The comments are most educational.

mad825
10th Dec 2010, 12:25
Who said anything about SE "reviving" DX and wanting to use that as an outlet for making an FF style game? Either you're very poor at reading comprehension, or I don't know what. Not to mention, IIRC, the DX3 brand revival was well into being green-lit and pre-production before the S-E purchase.

you clearly haven't been paying attention to the lead-up of the sellout, SE owned the majority of the stocks for quite some time before taking all.

when you said "if you really are so sad and want a ****ty story with over-hyped graphics," I thought you were actually dissing the game that this entire board is based around :S
Don't judge a book by it's cover? a very BIG assumption there. Tell me, how good was DXHR? obviously, either you are working on this project or possess a time travelling machine for someone to know such thing.

seeing as you are taking this personally, "dissing" is not a good word to use in a discussion.

My ENTIRE POINT FOR THIS THREAD is based on the idea of A) Eidos and S-E better leveraging brand potential via cross-promotion
not only would that go against SE's word but that would rather stupid if you wanted Immersion in a game

B) Do said cross-promotion by including little things that will in no way adversely affect the game itself, i.e. an alternate outfit/skin for Adam, specifically anything from FFvXIII's Noctis's wardrobe, and do the same thing for Final Fantasy versus XIII when that comes out, with Noctis having an alt skin/outfit based on Adam's black coat.

There is no such thing as "little" when dealing with a medium this big. Maybe in a book or a comic would such things be possible but then again this is no book, it's more of a equivalent to a interactive film where every image/sound could have a cataclysmic effect on anything.