PDA

View Full Version : New Interview with Amy Hennig: Storytellers of the Decade

The_Hylden
3rd Dec 2010, 19:37
On Game Informer, their interview with Amy Hennig chronicles her start in the industry all of the way up until now and her thoughts on storytelling in games, etc. Some mention of her days working on LoK, but mostly it's her current work on Uncharted and the new movie being adapted that takes center stage. However, thought I'd post it here in case anyone is interested and hasn't come across it yet.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2010/12/02/storytellers-of-the-decade_3a00_-amy-henning-interview.aspx

Jeffers
3rd Dec 2010, 20:10
Quite a nice interesting read, thanks The Hylden :)

Raziel'sRevenge
6th Dec 2010, 16:49
Thanks

TheWatcher
11th Dec 2010, 15:38
Interesting article, but I'm disappointed that Amy so quickly brushes her 8 years with the series under the rug. I understand she's moved on to different pastures and Uncharted is her baby now, but to me the LoK narrative is far, far richer and deeper than Uncharted.

It's also very disappointing how Uncharted gets a movie greenlight and A-list actors after only two games, yet LoK continues to be ignored after five. She mentions that literal translations of video games into movies don't work because of the differences in the mediums. I think LoK's story is so rich and deep a literal translation would work and work well.

goblin981
11th Dec 2010, 17:55
I think LoK's story is so rich and deep a literal translation would work and work well.

As much as I'd love to see a LoK movie, it couldn't be done as a literal translation. LoK has the best mythology I've ever seen; but really, it isn't told very well. It works as games, but for movies it would need to be rewritten.

Bound2Fate
11th Dec 2010, 20:01
I wouldn't mind seeing Legacy of Kain being made into a novel. It's just too detailed for it to work in a movie....and it would take a lot of movies just to give it any justice.

dumah's wraith
11th Dec 2010, 20:22
It's probably too complicated for a movie. TV Series with a decent budget could work.

FearGhoul
11th Dec 2010, 20:42
I also like the idea of novels. Much more room to tell a story and explore than in film of any kind. Well done graphic novels would be great too, since I like the artistic style of the series.

The_Hylden
16th Dec 2010, 01:08
Welcome guys. And to add onto this, Game Informer now has an article detailing the history of Crystal Dynamics. More mention of LoK is made here:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2010/12/14/the-history-of-crystal-dynamics.aspx

Besides being interesting to see just where all of the major players have gone over the years, what they've gone on to do, and that many still remain, it's also just good to know that CD is getting this much press about them, not just the TR reboot.

Rivenmjk
16th Dec 2010, 01:39
speaking of nostalgia....am i crazy for trying to find physical copies of any retro game magazines with lok as the main cover/articles??

Raziel'sRevenge
19th Dec 2010, 05:36
speaking of nostalgia....am i crazy for trying to find physical copies of any retro game magazines with lok as the main cover/articles??

That only places you on the same level of crazy as me so... Yes. You are completely and utterly deranged beyond any salvageable hope :rasp:

Rivenmjk
19th Dec 2010, 05:39
I'll be taking THAT as a compliment good sir!

Razieltheavenger
2nd Jan 2011, 23:12
hey i got a couple

Rivenmjk
3rd Jan 2011, 01:02
a couple of what...magazines??

Razieltheavenger
3rd Jan 2011, 04:58
yeahh the one with defiance and soul reaver there both game informer