PDA

View Full Version : Deadly Shadows - different versions?

Thinzad
2nd Dec 2010, 00:30
I do not remember the "tutorial" portion from when I first bought DS back in 2004(?). What I recall was Garret starting out in his apartment and needing money for rent (as always), being able to find a note about the landlords secret stash in a nearby sewer, a friendly "neighborhood watch" guard roaming the building, two or three other apartments in the same building with locked but pickable doors, one apartment having an occupant inside.

The first mission I remember was leaving the immediate area and wandering the city nearby (with an eventual objective of leaving the area to go to the docks), people I could follow into their buildings, a vendor stall with an easily grabbed stack of coins, one or two people that needed the blackjack and hiding.

Did they do a full re-write of the starting game, or is my mind completely gone from second hand smoke and other recreational activities?? My current DVD is from Sold Out Software rather than Eidos/Ion Storm and labeled for Windoze Vista rather than Millenium that I was using at the time (again, assuming my memory is not completely taffed).

theBlackman
2nd Dec 2010, 01:06
Deadly shadows starts with a training mission This mission walks you through an Inn, sets up the story for the rest of the game.

If you don't start in the street with a blue line of footsteps to follow along with written instructions to follow you have a problem.

Either you have a faulty disc/DVD OR A CORRUPT LOAD.

I suggest you UNINSTALL then delete the file/folder and the MYDOCUMENTS-DEADLY SHADOWS FILE OF SAVES and do a new unstallation.

Thinzad
2nd Dec 2010, 01:39
Deadly shadows starts with a training mission This mission walks you through an Inn, sets up the story for the rest of the game.

If you don't start in the street with a blue line of footsteps to follow along with written instructions to follow you have a problem.

Got that. My question was is this the way it has always been? I don't remember doing this back when Thief III was first released. Perhaps they ADDED this portion?

Tin Star
2nd Dec 2010, 06:12
That is the way it has always been with Garrett doing the training mission first then you go into the mission where you steal the opal and then to his apt.Thief 2 starts out with him needing the money to pay his rent.

Tin Star

jtr7
2nd Dec 2010, 06:44
Yep. The Blue Heron Inn has always been the first, as well as, training mission and start of the story. And yeah, Garrett never mentions needing to pay the rent like he did in each previous game. He only says, about the Jacknall's Paw: "Severed hands don't pay the rent."