PDA

View Full Version : Michael McCann's "Icarus" with old Deus Ex theme

Absentia
25th Nov 2010, 19:44
I was replaying the trailer song 'Icarus' around my head when I noticed some of the chord changes might accomodate a slowed-down version of the old Deus Ex theme. So I thought I'd see what it would actually sound like if I superimposed the DX tune over the top.
Turns out, there are still several clashes due to the melody that the trailer has, and to be quite honest some chords just don't fit at all, but I actually don't think the result was too bad. I wouldn't consider this an actual remix or anything, it's just something that gave me a little more hope about the big "maybe" we've been given on whether or not the original theme will be incorporated, and showed that it really isn't too hard to fit (parts of) it into the Icarus theme.

But anyway, here it is.

http://www.box.net/shared/gonyox33hj

I'd also like to add that Alex Brandon's MachiNation actually did something slightly similar in regards to slowing down the main theme and using different chords underneath, it sounds awesome and also very modern. It really bugs me to hear people say that the DX theme is "too 90's" because they can only ever imagine it with its charming MODTracker-ish sounds. Go listen to the radio, we've been listening to the same chord progressions and patterns of notes as we have been for decades upon decades, and nobody ever associates a melody (not the timbre of the instrument) with a certain decade unless we're talking about classical music.

Shralla
26th Nov 2010, 01:51
Go listen to the radio, we've been listening to the same chord progressions and patterns of notes as we have been for decades upon decades

First of all, what's this "we" stuff, Kemo Sabe?

and nobody ever associates a melody (not the timbre of the instrument) with a certain decade unless we're talking about classical music.

Secondly, bull****. Pretty much every genre of music has a series of notes that can define a certain era of the music's life. It's much easier to notice in things like punk, and especially now with "pop punk" (a genre title which doesn't make ANY sense, btw), but really you can apply it to any genre. If you don't think Metallica and Megadeth shared some melodies, then you're deaf. Likewise, Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin are the same way.

But anyway, when people are talking about the Deus Ex theme, they're not talking about the melody itself. They're talking about the whole song, and the way the primary melody is completely at the forefront and is practically the only notable thing about the song.

Dead-Eye
26th Nov 2010, 02:03
I just want the music to be at lest as good as the first.

ShuGGerNauT
26th Nov 2010, 02:06
But anyway, here it is.

http://www.box.net/shared/gonyox33hj

Awesome job!

Sabretooth1
26th Nov 2010, 02:19
McCann needs to see this, because this is the most amazing thing I've heard all month.

Jerion
26th Nov 2010, 02:56
Shows potential. This makes me wish I had the whole thing laid out in Logic so I could rebuild the Icarus mix with the DX theme, minus those few irksome bars.

Absentia
26th Nov 2010, 03:50
Secondly, bull****. Pretty much every genre of music has a series of notes that can define a certain era of the music's life. It's much easier to notice in things like punk, and especially now with "pop punk" (a genre title which doesn't make ANY sense, btw), but really you can apply it to any genre. If you don't think Metallica and Megadeth shared some melodies, then you're deaf. Likewise, Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin are the same way.

Okay, I did go on a bit of a mindless brain-dump there, for which I apologise. I guess referring to a decade could also mean referring to the decade in which the genre was prominent, but to me that's still primarily concerns the genre, not the time period. If you say something sound 70's, then genre-wise you could mean anything from disco to prog-rock. I totally aknowledge that a melody, or more often a chord progression, can be associated with a genre.

But anyway, when people are talking about the Deus Ex theme, they're not talking about the melody itself. They're talking about the whole song, and the way the primary melody is completely at the forefront and is practically the only notable thing about the song.

It still had chords underneath to give the melody the feel that it has (the original' being kind of marchy and militaristic I think)
I do see your point though, the melody really is the most obvious thing to it, rather than the mood being portrayed in the more subtle bass note changes and pads in Icarus. That's more of a general shift in video game music now that it's more affordable to have a more convincing and movie-like quality to the sound (and that games have bigger budgets perhaps). The issue I have with it is that there are too many games with forgettable orchestral scores which take that idea a little too far. I guess I like my games to sound like games, not movies, if that makes any sense at all. I find it quite hard to describe the distinction, and it sounds like I'm saying that games should sound old and cheesy, but I'm not.
I also don't mean to imply that there's much risk of this happening to DXHR, based on the music I've heard so far anyway, but I still think there's more life to be had out of the DX tune.

Unstoppable
26th Nov 2010, 04:56
I think it's pretty good. Work on the 47-48 second shift because it is too sudden. The music changes to a high pitch way too fast.

Also work on the intro. Incorporate the original Deus Ex Theme intro and then queue in the Human Revolution one some how.

This could be a lil community project. We give you input and you keep tinkering with it. I think so far what you have is solid and deserves to be finished. Keep working on it ;D!

BTW the full soundtrack for Splintercell: Double Agent is available to download at Michael McCann's website.

http://www.behaviormusic.com/artists/michael_mccann/music.htm

IOOI
26th Nov 2010, 05:12
I understand **** about music, but I have to state, here, for the first time about something related to music. THAT BLEW MY MIND! :thumb:
I just wish it was longer.

If HR's Main theme was something like that it would be AWESOMESAUCE!

rokstrombo
26th Nov 2010, 05:14
That's more of a general shift in video game music now that it's more affordable to have a more convincing and movie-like quality to the sound (and that games have bigger budgets perhaps). The issue I have with it is that there are too many games with forgettable orchestral scores which take that idea a little too far. I guess I like my games to sound like games, not movies, if that makes any sense at all. I find it quite hard to describe the distinction, and it sounds like I'm saying that games should sound old and cheesy, but I'm not.
I also don't mean to imply that there's much risk of this happening to DXHR, based on the music I've heard so far anyway, but I still think there's more life to be had out of the DX tune.

I find old and cheesy can be somewhat appealing in the music of video games because it demonstrates awareness of historically lame aspects of a game's production such as the writing or setting. Those terrorists happen to be in the game because the player needs an excuse to shoot something, and not because the player cares about some arbitrary political struggle in a poorly conceived game world. Earlier games acknowledged the surrealism or compulsive appeal of the medium in their presentation and writng, but more modern games seem to expect the player to take these aspects more seriously which can sometimes be rather difficult given the material!

kdawg88
26th Nov 2010, 06:47
This doesn't surprise me at all - I think it's pretty safe to say he'll be doing a variation on this theme for HR's main theme. Brandon did it in IW, after all.

[FGS]Shadowrunner
26th Nov 2010, 07:55
The MJ12 theme in IW is pretty good.

This is amazing. In most places the discord wasn't bad at all for me, it reminded me of US thriller movies...

As for cheese, Denton is cheesy as hell...

Bob Page: Soon I will burn like the brightest Star
Denton: You're gonna burn alright...

[FGS]Shadowrunner
26th Nov 2010, 07:59
In fact I am so moved by this that I should reveal that I am part of a group working on DXMP maps in the original engine, which are based on places in DX3. The maps and mods will be hosted on servers for online play next year.
This soundtrack would of course be so perfect. Would you consider letting Deus Ex Multiplayer community mappers using it?

Absentia
26th Nov 2010, 11:02
I think it's pretty good. Work on the 47-48 second shift because it is too sudden. The music changes to a high pitch way too fast.

Also work on the intro. Incorporate the original Deus Ex Theme intro and then queue in the Human Revolution one some how.

Good idea. I really wish I'd made something more polished before I got excited and posted it on here now :lmao:

Shadowrunner;1528846']In fact I am so moved by this that I should reveal that I am part of a group working on DXMP maps in the original engine, which are based on places in DX3. The maps and mods will be hosted on servers for online play next year.
This soundtrack would of course be so perfect. Would you consider letting Deus Ex Multiplayer community mappers using it?

If I actually managed to finish it then sure, I don't see why not. :) I would have to do something like Jerion was describing and try to re-cut Icarus into just the sections that fit with the theme. Worth a try!

puzl
26th Nov 2010, 11:37
Pop music DOES use the same chords over and over.

Watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHBVnMf2t7w) if you don't believe me. Same crap, regurgitated forever.

Thasc
26th Nov 2010, 13:24
Damn, this does sound good.

AlexOfSpades
26th Nov 2010, 13:48
Oh lord that's awesome.

Eidos put this as the ending song!

Please pleasep leaseplease pleapselea spelsae!!!

K^2
26th Nov 2010, 14:02
There are 6 chords to a key. It'd be pretty amazing if you found a way NOT to reuse the chords over and over. Sure, you can add flavor to these chords, but it doesn't make a difference to the melody part. Worse yet, if the melody only gets in 2-3 notes to a chord, you won't be able to distinguish between a chord from major and corresponding chord from minor keys. So now you have just 3 chords that have to build a mostly-matching sequence for melody to correspond with accompaniment. If you further constrain this by style and aesthetic criteria, you can find fairly large sets of songs where you can mix and match different voices.

So good work on actually overlaying the two, sounds pretty good, but it doesn't really point to any connection.

AxiomaticBadger
26th Nov 2010, 19:43
In related news, a shocking report has come to light showing that the majority of painters use the same 3 colours, or derivatives thereof. News at 11.

Catchy tune though.

What A Shame
26th Nov 2010, 21:12
I think the deus ex theme tune isn't very good. It reminds me of Beyblade, that Japanese cartoon programme

anyone with me?

Corpus
26th Nov 2010, 21:14
I just want the music to be at least as memorable as the first.

Fixed that for you.

GWSampy
26th Nov 2010, 21:15
I heard the Deus Ex theme tune was really good.
Nah it's not really good. It's not good at all

GWSampy
26th Nov 2010, 21:16
I think the deus ex theme tune isn't very good. It reminds me of Beyblade, that Japanese cartoon programme

anyone with me?

I can hear that too. It has roughly the same chord progression. I'll make a short remix later to demonstrate this.

What A Shame
26th Nov 2010, 21:17
I heard the Deus Ex theme tune was really good.
Nah it's not really good. It's not good at all

Yeah, i really don't like it. I think it needs more midi-based sounds. Like the menu music in Batman Returns on the Gameboy

GWSampy
26th Nov 2010, 21:19
Yeah, i really don't like it. I think it needs more midi-based sounds. Like the menu music in Batman Returns on the Gameboy

Is that the one that's a bit like Ardmun Asylum?
I thought it was on the sega

What A Shame
26th Nov 2010, 21:20
Is that the one that's a bit like Ardmun Asylum?
I thought it was on the sega

nah, it was on the Nintendo Handheld®

GWSampy
26th Nov 2010, 21:22
nah, it was on the Nintendo Handheld®

Ninento should make a Deus Ex game. They should just use the Invisible War storyline and add motion controls. But not like too much because it gives me wrist pain when I play Super Monkey Kong Junior.

What A Shame
26th Nov 2010, 21:24
Ninento should make a Deus Ex game. They should just use the Invisible War storyline and add motion controls. But not like too much because it gives me wrist pain when I play Super Monkey Kong Junior.

They should make an rts version of Deus Ex. Using the same engine as Command and control 2: Danger Warning.

I think that'd be good. I might ring Spector now

Corpus
26th Nov 2010, 21:29
Why stop there. Why not make a Deus Ex racing game on the engine used in Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing.

What A Shame
26th Nov 2010, 21:30
Why stop there. Why not make a Deus Ex racing game on the engine used in Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing.

Exactly, it's open minded people like you that keep the market going =D

[FGS]Shadowrunner
26th Nov 2010, 21:47
In Deus Ex 4 I want to cook a meal and program androids to do stuff.

If I actually managed to finish it then sure, I don't see why not. I would have to do something like Jerion was describing and try to re-cut Icarus into just the sections that fit with the theme. Worth a try!

Thank you so much. What we will do is create a promo video for the mod with it also, so you have something visual to accompany it. I'm sure some fans are going to do something with DX3 stuff as well. We convert the mp3 to a .umx file which can then loop while players play the map.

GWSampy
26th Nov 2010, 23:24
Exactly, it's open minded people like you that keep the market going =D

I heard that they are making a spin off beat em up game called Adam Denton: Origins. It's like Wolfman: Origins but Adam doesn't have swords in his fingers.

Rindill the Red
26th Nov 2010, 23:41
I heard that they are making a spin off beat em up game called Adam Denton: Origins. It's like Wolfman: Origins but Adam doesn't have swords in his fingers.

Yeah, the sword comes out of his dick.

What A Shame
27th Nov 2010, 01:00

I just pre-ordered Ambrosia Tycoon. It's like theme hospital except on the front cover it has Denton wearing a doctors outfit in Unreal engine 1 graphics. It got abysmal reviews on destructoid but I strive to prove the haters wrong. It hasn't worked thus far. But i try anyway =D

3rdmillhouse
27th Nov 2010, 21:37
I don't remmember that Deus Ex music at all...... do you have an youtube link to it or somethin?

rhalibus
28th Nov 2010, 01:54
Awesome analysis, Absentia! I wonder how much the DX1's chord structure as--well as the style--actually influenced Michael McCann's DX3 score...

Jerion
28th Nov 2010, 02:13
I don't remmember that Deus Ex music at all...... do you have an youtube link to it or somethin?

It's the first melody of the original theme slowed down to layer over the Icarus theme.

[FGS]Shadowrunner
29th Nov 2010, 04:36
The menu screen music.