PDA

View Full Version : Potential Multiplayer DLC/Expansion?

CoDEllite
20th Nov 2010, 21:34
Seeing how Assassin's Creed 2 got a very good multiplayer "spinnoff" game (I'm not gonna call it a sequel :) ) in the form of the Brotherhood, is it too much to hope that we might get some sort of similaraly huge expansion featuring multiplayer component for Human Revolution? I think Deus Ex's mix of augmentation and gunplay would provide for an original and exciting multiplayer experience somewhat in the vein of Bioshock 2's multiplayer mode. Ubisoft succeeded in seemlessly introducing multiplayer in the previosly single-player only Assassin's Creed franchise, so it would be interesting to see what Eidos could do with HR. Any thoughts.

FreedomForever
20th Nov 2010, 21:48
I hope they don't milk it out like all these other games these days.

Wait I mean is, I hope it isn't like alittle DLC that doesn't add alot of content and I hope the DLC doesn't come out like a week after the games release lol.

If there going to make a DLC, it better be big(like expansion) and it better not come out a week later.

Multiplayer does sound like fun tho and good DLC.

Kodaemon
20th Nov 2010, 22:55
To make it work in multiplayer, they would probably have to heavily redesign certain gameplay elements, like takedowns.

Dead-Eye
20th Nov 2010, 23:12
I have been waiting 8 years for a good successor to Deus Ex multiplayer. Dystopia just doesn't cut it.

AlexOfSpades
21st Nov 2010, 01:07
CO-OP

All i have to say

WildcatPhoenix
21st Nov 2010, 01:44
Spinoffs wouldn't bother me all that much. I think games run into problems when one aspect of the game (single vs. multiplayer) begins to draw more development time away from the other.

But as long as multiplayer isn't drawing attention away from what should be a great single player experience, first and foremost, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I wouldn't buy it, but I wouldn't have a problem with it.

BigBoss
21st Nov 2010, 08:12
Spinoffs wouldn't bother me all that much. I think games run into problems when one aspect of the game (single vs. multiplayer) begins to draw more development time away from the other.

But as long as multiplayer isn't drawing attention away from what should be a great single player experience, first and foremost, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I wouldn't buy it, but I wouldn't have a problem with it.

To them that sounds like a problem because you don't think it's good enough (the mp)

Irate_Iguana
21st Nov 2010, 12:24
A multiplayer spin-off wouldn't bother me. I'm more of a singleplayer only guy, but if they commit resources to making a separate MP game I'd be cool with that. Provided that they don't stop supporting SP games.

sonicsidewinder
21st Nov 2010, 15:08
These are dangerous thoughts you are having...

thedosbox
21st Nov 2010, 15:45
Why does every game need MP? The last thing I want to do with my leisure time is deal with a bunch of snotty teenagers telling everyone they've been 0wn3d, or screaming that I'm a cheater. It's better to spend resources making a solid SP experience that resurrects the DX name than include a half-arsed MP mode.

WildcatPhoenix
21st Nov 2010, 15:59
To them that sounds like a problem because you don't think it's good enough (the mp)

At this point they couldn't possibly sell me on multiplayer, regardless of how good a job they did with the production.

I got online to play Modern Warfare 2 yesterday just for old times' sake. I hadn't played in months. In a matter of three games, I'd been corner camped with the (still preposterously overpowered) dual shotguns, corpse-humped by a guy who was -8 in k/d, and called all manner of racist/sexist names you can imagine in the post game lobby.

No thanks.

Shralla
21st Nov 2010, 18:22
Why does every game need MP? The last thing I want to do with my leisure time is deal with a bunch of snotty teenagers telling everyone they've been 0wn3d, or screaming that I'm a cheater. It's better to spend resources making a solid SP experience that resurrects the DX name than include a half-arsed MP mode.

Read the thread. Nobody's even talking about them including a multiplayer mode with the game.

thedosbox
21st Nov 2010, 18:30
Read the thread. Nobody's even talking about them including a multiplayer mode with the game.

Read the thread. The OP is proposing MP be added via DLC/expansion. My post still stands. If effort is to be dedicated to DLC, let it be SP.

cartridge
21st Nov 2010, 19:10
I don't think this game needs or would benefit from a MP component. The game will stand very well on it's own without it, and good MP isn't something that can just be tacked on these days. To make a compelling multiplayer experience is a lot of work, and at this stage in the development it would be nothing more than an afterthought to draw in the same sh**-talking backwards ball cap wearing testosterone overdosing wannabe jock douchebag lemmings that spend all their time ranking up in CoD. I say no to any type of MP in DX:HR. It doesn't need it, it wouldn't benefit from it, and the time is much better spent improving the single player experience, whether it be adding new features/content or improving the existing.

Shralla
22nd Nov 2010, 20:43
Read the thread. The OP is proposing MP be added via DLC/expansion. My post still stands. If effort is to be dedicated to DLC, let it be SP.

Why? You already have a full 20+ hour single-player game in which ALL the effort was dedicated to providing you with an excellent single-player experience. Saying that any future DLC or expansions should be single-player only is just stupid and narrow-minded. Just because you personally do not want any sort of multiplayer component doesn't mean that nobody does, and your argument was "It's better to spend resources making a solid SP experience that resurrects the DX name than include a half-arsed MP mode."

Well, they're already spending ALL OF THEIR RESOURCES making a solid single-player experience, so no worries there. Oh, and the game does NOT have any multiplayer out of the box, so that gets rid of your fretting about them "including" a multiplayer component. And then you have your completely generalized and pointless thought about a "half-arsed" multiplayer mode. Except that they've already finished the final game, released it, and now they have a team sitting around doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Any sort of multiplayer DLC or expansion is not going to be "half-arsed," and suggesting it would be is just insulting to Eidos Montreal.

Overall, your post which you claim "still stands" was one worrying about them redirecting resources from the primary single-player experience in order to make multiplayer. That is not happening, clearly, so I don't think your post has anything to stand on.

thedosbox
23rd Nov 2010, 01:49
Why? You already have a full 20+ hour single-player game in which ALL the effort was dedicated to providing you with an excellent single-player experience. Saying that any future DLC or expansions should be single-player only is just stupid and narrow-minded. Just because you personally do not want any sort of multiplayer component doesn't mean that nobody does, and your argument was "It's better to spend resources making a solid SP experience that resurrects the DX name than include a half-arsed MP mode."

There are plenty of games which will allow you run around shooting people. The OP happens to want another, I'd prefer more SP experiences due to their increasing rarity.

We both have opinions, yet mine is only stupid because you agree with the OP? :scratch:

Well, they're already spending ALL OF THEIR RESOURCES making a solid single-player experience, so no worries there. Oh, and the game does NOT have any multiplayer out of the box, so that gets rid of your fretting about them "including" a multiplayer component. And then you have your completely generalized and pointless thought about a "half-arsed" multiplayer mode. Except that they've already finished the final game, released it, and now they have a team sitting around doing ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Any sort of multiplayer DLC or expansion is not going to be "half-arsed," and suggesting it would be is just insulting to Eidos Montreal.

This illustrates that you have little understanding of how a development studio is run, and the differing skills required to develop SP vs MP games. Do you seriously think Eidos will leave the team sitting around playing pool and drinking red bull?

Shralla
23rd Nov 2010, 02:11
There are plenty of games which will allow you run around shooting people. The OP happens to want another

Alright, I must have missed the part of his post where he said "I want Deus Ex multiplayer that's exactly the same as all the other multiplayer games out there with nothing to make it unique or stand out at all."

I'd prefer more SP experiences due to their increasing rarity.

In this hypothetical situation, we just got one! One that is significantly longer and more in-depth than the vast majority of modern single-player games. If I'm going to be tempted into paying $15 or whatever for something extra for the game, I'd rather it be something that I DIDN'T just already spend $50 on, namely said single-player experience. I'm confused as to why YOU would rather spend extra money on single-player content that is going to play exactly the same as the game you just spent $50 on.

This illustrates that you have little understanding of how a development studio is run, and the differing skills required to develop SP vs MP games. Do you seriously think Eidos will leave the team sitting around playing pool and drinking red bull?

Uh, no. They'll put them to work on something else, which is exactly what we're talking about. The only difference is that YOU seem to think single-player DLC is going to require that anywhere near the entire team be working on it, except with all the resources, animations, etc. finished, developing side-stories will take a fraction of that, leaving plenty of room in the studio for something more involved, like *GASP!* multiplayer!

Your only real argument against the implementation of some kind of multiplayer is the idea that working on a multiplayer component will somehow entirely cripple the studio, and make them unable to do anything else at all forever. You'll get your goddamn single-player, but I don't see why it should come at the cost of something new and different AFTER YOU'VE ALREADY PAID FOR AND PLAYED THROUGH A 20+ HOUR SINGLE-PLAYER CAMPAIGN.

thedosbox
23rd Nov 2010, 02:31
Alright, I must have missed the part of his post where he said "I want Deus Ex multiplayer that's exactly the same as all the other multiplayer games out there with nothing to make it unique or stand out at all."

Considering the OP's nick is "CODelite", it's a reasonable assumption he's looking for yet another multiplayer game where people shoot each other.

Your only real argument against the implementation of some kind of multiplayer is the idea that working on a multiplayer component will somehow entirely cripple the studio, and make them unable to do anything else at all forever. You'll get your goddamn single-player, but I don't see why it should come at the cost of something new and different AFTER YOU'VE ALREADY PAID FOR AND PLAYED THROUGH A 20+ HOUR SINGLE-PLAYER CAMPAIGN.

Here's a clue - just because the original game is done, doesn't mean the world is exhausted. I'm interested in more SP experiences, and will quite happily "sacrifice" the loss of a MP component. I have no interest in playing yet another MP game full of foul mouthed teabaggers. You may be, but that's not my problem.

As for "crippling the studio", it should be obvious that the team will be ramped down soon after release. Limited resources will remain for support, while the others move onto their next project. That is how development studios work in real life. Evidently Eidos have evaluated the ROI of developing a MP component and chosen not to do so.

Shralla
23rd Nov 2010, 02:37
We know there will be DLC but we have no idea what it will be, so we really don't have anything to go on at this point. If they want to make a multiplayer DLC, they'll keep enough people on to do so.

Also, I will admit to not noticing who made the thread. But he's a blatant troll anyway, so let's assume that any Deus Ex multiplayer is not going to be Call of Duty: Augmented Arms.

K^2
23rd Nov 2010, 02:43
Co-op might be feasible as a fan mod. If AI handles hostile NPCs the same way it handles the player, it's just a matter of spawning an extra NPC for the other player, and synchronizing the two games. The later being the tricky part.