PDA

View Full Version : Augs turn on or off?

LeMoN_LiMe
19th Nov 2010, 20:32
I'm a little behind in the game here so cut me some slack.

I just saw the recent gameplay footage:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-18-deus-ex-gameplay-detailed-interview

It would appear that whoever was playing had to turn the Strength Aug on to move the box and get into the vent.
That being said, I also learned of the "Retinal Prosthesis" Aug that allows the user to see through walls, info on enemies, ect., plus the dreaded "highlight" feature that seems to be everyone's cause of concern. I also read that the Retinal Aug is given to you at the start of the game and that the "highlight" feature comes standard.

So seeing that the Strength Aug and the Retinal Aug ability to see through walls had to be activated via menu or hotkey by the user, wouldn't the "highlight" feature be avoided by simply turning the Retinal Aug off? I mean you have to be able to turn if off, otherwise it would eat up energy. Not to mention Jensen wasn't seeing through walls the whole demo so there is obviously a way to turn it on and off.

That or the "highlight" feature of the Retinal Aug is always on and yet somehow doesn't use any energy? That makes no sense.

So have they said anything about turning Augs in general on and off?

nomotog
19th Nov 2010, 20:45
I'm a little behind in the game here so cut me some slack.

I just saw the recent gameplay footage:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-18-deus-ex-gameplay-detailed-interview

It would appear that whoever was playing had to turn the Strength Aug on to move the box and get into the vent.
That being said, I also learned of the "Retinal Prosthesis" Aug that allows the user to see through walls, info on enemies, ect., plus the dreaded "highlight" feature that seems to be everyone's cause of concern. I also read that the Retinal Aug is given to you at the start of the game and that the "highlight" feature comes standard.

So seeing that the Strength Aug and the Retinal Aug ability to see through walls had to be activated via menu or hotkey by the user, wouldn't the "highlight" feature be avoided by simply turning the Retinal Aug off? I mean you have to be able to turn if off, otherwise it would eat up energy. Not to mention Jensen wasn't seeing through walls the whole demo so there is obviously a way to turn it on and off.

That or the "highlight" feature of the Retinal Aug is always on and yet somehow doesn't use any energy? That makes no sense.

So have they said anything about turning Augs in general on and off?

You are a wrong about the Strength Aug. He upgrades the Strength Aug. He dosen't turn it on. That is the talent tree for the augment. I think the Strength Aug is always on. You can see that most of the upgrades for it are passive.

I hate to pop your bubble of hope, but there is really no reason to think that the highlighting aug can be turned off.

Dead-Eye
19th Nov 2010, 20:47
ummm... yes I guess?

LeMoN_LiMe
19th Nov 2010, 22:33
Just saying that if you think about it then wouldn't having that Retinal Aug on all the time drain your energy?
So how could you not have an option to turn it off, thus eliminating the annoying "highlight" feature.

Irate_Iguana
19th Nov 2010, 22:43
Just saying that if you think about it then wouldn't having that Retinal Aug on all the time drain your energy?

It won't. The retinal aug is a passive aug, just like the IFF and Infolink were in DX. No BE required.

Tverdyj
19th Nov 2010, 23:16
quite unfortunate, this.

LeMoN_LiMe
19th Nov 2010, 23:39
It won't. The retinal aug is a passive aug, just like the IFF and Infolink were in DX. No BE required.

Well there goes my weekend :hmm:

sonicsidewinder
20th Nov 2010, 01:30
Do not cry lemon lime. (i almost cried off the lime i was given with my Corona not a few hours ago...felt like my teeth were disolving)

ALL will surely be okay.

nomotog
20th Nov 2010, 01:42
Well there goes my weekend :hmm:

Try not to sweet the small stuff. inclusion or lack of highlighting will not ruin the game. There are so many better things to worry about. Don't forget DX1 had little white boxes around everything too.