PDA

View Full Version : Guards friendlies instead of enemies...

IceBallz
19th Nov 2010, 01:33
Hi. I just watched the first gameplay trailer at gametrailers.com and thought it looked awesome.
But I noticed a little tiny thing that made me to come here and notice you guys at Eidos.
It's still not a big deal, because I know that I'am pretty hard on judging on games and their content.

The thing that was a issue for me, was this :

I noticed that the security centrals or computers or what you name those. Was calling the enemies for enemies in the security central screens.
In my opinion the enemies of ours should be called for friendlies in the enemies computer centrals. Like I see on it the security centrals should not call their own allies for enemies, it should stand friendlies or allies ?
I still think nobody really noticed this, but if they do... They will be like *huh* ?!? Why does the computers call their forces for enemies. Once more, game looks sweet and more like the first Deus Ex.
This game is number 2 on my list for most wanted games only Gran Turismo 5 stands over it... Keep up the great work, guys.

Rindill the Red
19th Nov 2010, 01:49
You don't need to start your own thread with a copy post.

IdiotInAJeep
19th Nov 2010, 05:28
My first playthrough of Deus Ex was full of confusion and turrets mowing me down.

Cronstintein
19th Nov 2010, 07:04
I have it say "employees" if anything. How would a computer know who your enemies are?

Kodaemon
19th Nov 2010, 08:49
Why would a company even have a setting for their security turrets/bots to mow down employees? :eek:

K^2
19th Nov 2010, 08:57
Why would a company even have a setting for their security turrets/bots to mow down employees? :eek:
You're obviously not familiar with realities of corporate warfare.

Kodaemon
19th Nov 2010, 09:17
So when the company wants another problem resolved
Or if the company wants a choice of nothing at all
Point your thumb out to the highway through the heat and the dust
And raise your finger in the middle till you shout:

WHAT ABOUT US!

FrankCSIS
19th Nov 2010, 12:42
Having a setting for "enemies" or "employees" makes little sense. The hacking should simply detract the bot security features, and have it shoot at everything. Not convenient for you, but you could always wait until he did its maniacal job, and then turn it off. It doesn't seem right to have a pre-programmed setting where it only shoots the "good" people.

Spyhopping
19th Nov 2010, 12:47
Makes more sense, and that little label might remind you that you're considering gunning down people who are just doing their job. Gives them a little bit more humanity.

Corpus
19th Nov 2010, 13:21
You're viewing it from YOUR hacking program. So it would be labeled enemies.

68_pie
19th Nov 2010, 15:09
For the mech to not shoot the employees in the first place they must have some sort of IFF transponder so I imagine AJ could reverse the reading and thus the bot would target employees and not him.

Absentia
19th Nov 2010, 15:45
The whole hacking system I'm guessing is pretty abstracted - as said, there's not going to be a setting to make the turrets kill employees. Nor does it seem likely that every single corporation will have the same security-management software with the same UI, even down to a section named "Robots" with a comical icon next to it. My guess is either you are using a hacking program, or the whole process of Adam shifting through pages and pages of code to re-program turrets/robots to attack enemies is being abstracted for our convenience by a toggle switch.
Basically, 'enemies' makes sense.

JackShandy
21st Nov 2010, 08:34
The same thing happens in Deus Ex. Confused me for a while. I assume they just took the options verbatim.

Fluffis
21st Nov 2010, 09:00
So when the company wants another problem resolved
Or if the company wants a choice of nothing at all
Point your thumb out to the highway through the heat and the dust
And raise your finger in the middle till you shout:

WHAT ABOUT US!

Gotta love Ministry.

TheYouthCounselor
21st Nov 2010, 12:45
Having a setting for "enemies" or "employees" makes little sense. The hacking should simply detract the bot security features, and have it shoot at everything. Not convenient for you, but you could always wait until he did its maniacal job, and then turn it off. It doesn't seem right to have a pre-programmed setting where it only shoots the "good" people.

^^This

Or have a separate selection screen that allows you to check off or categorize the friendlies and enemies. This might be a somewhat complicated for the console crowd but it's a logical choice.

mentalkase
21st Nov 2010, 13:42
I think this might be one of those times where you just have to say the priority lies in good gameplay over logic. There's probably no simple, logical way to be able to use a turret to wipe out your enemies without being able to simply select them in the console. This is obviously nothing like how security systems work in reality but if they were to try to emulate a real system it would end up being far too complex and time consuming. It's really something you want to be able to quickly get in there and out again.

Rindill the Red
21st Nov 2010, 15:15
Like I said, there are a few options to clear this up.

1. The dev's should demonstrate that Jensen is loading his own subroutines onto the computer to make *his own* interface: therefore, his enemies are "enemies".
2. The dev's should make it more realistic, since authorized personnel are somehow programmed into the robots target parsing algorithm, Jensen should be able to hijack that and reverse it... so that the button might say "reverse" or "invert" under "targeting". Do not think your players so dumb they won't be able to figure out what it means! If they play with it and watch on the camera they will soon be able to figure it out!
3. Hack the robot to attack everything which requires the player either shutting it off before proceeding or sneaking by it.

You could combine 2 and 3 and have them be available at different levels of hacking.

mentalkase
21st Nov 2010, 15:25
Like I said, there are a few options to clear this up.

1. The dev's should demonstrate that Jensen is loading his own subroutines onto the computer to make *his own* interface: therefore, his enemies are "enemies".
2. The dev's should make it more realistic, since authorized personnel are somehow programmed into the robots target parsing algorithm, Jensen should be able to hijack that and reverse it... so that the button might say "reverse" or "invert" under "targeting". Do not think your players so dumb they won't be able to figure out what it means! If they play with it and watch on the camera they will soon be able to figure it out!
3. Hack the robot to attack everything which requires the player either shutting it off before proceeding or sneaking by it.

You could combine 2 and 3 and have them be available at different levels of hacking.

I have no clue what a parsing algorithm is but these all seem like really good ideas to me to add to the realism of it.