PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex Tv Show.

Rindill the Red
13th Nov 2010, 02:40
So I just stumbled upon this recently...

N9iN3TPCmxk

I absolutely love the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. universe and I think the material can make an awesome tv show.

Of all video games I was actually hoping Valve might branch out with their Half Life franchise into a TV show -- 1984 meets War of the Worlds meets zombies, the material is just ripe for exploration... but I guess with STALKER's massive Russian popularity, and the fact that it's already branched out into 4 games and 40 books, a TV show or movie was inevitable.

I couldn't get the STALKER atmosphere from the trailer... maybe the actual show might be different (probably will)... but the trailer was ACTION! and STALKER to me is (usually) a lot slower paced.

Anyway. I wouldn't mind seeing a Deus Ex tv-show, if it were done well (ten-year plan Squeenix?). Honestly, the sci-fi fair recently has been pretty poor (I haven't really been interested in anything since Battlestar Galactica), and with DX:HR looking to sell pretty well, and Gits moving to the big screen with Spielberg attached, I feel like cyberpunk is "in", and it would be an awesome time to get a high-quality cyberpunk tv-show out there.

Shralla
13th Nov 2010, 04:40
I think Battlestar Galactica really kicked people in the teeth in regards to the overall potential of TV shows as an art form. Granted, I've been feeling for the last five or six years that television is beginning to trump the movie industry in terms of the ratio of quality to crap, as well as the overall quality of what has been coming out. Name me any great movie that's come out in the last ten years and I can point you to an episode of BSG that is just as well written, and deals with all the same concepts, for the most part.

The thing about TV shows is that due to their inherent nature (the fact that they are episodic), it allows much more breathing room for doing pretty much anything. If you aren't putting together a two-hour movie, and instead you're going to have say 20 45-minute episodes, you can fit unbelievably more information, dialog, etc. It's really quite brilliant.

I remember hearing that one of the reasons the Deus Ex movie never happened was because the game was too long, too involved, and had too many characters for it to ever work. Now that you mention it, it seems that a TV show would absolutely be the way to go. You could literally recreate the entire first game in a 15-20 episode series, obviously with artistic license being taken in regards to specific parts of the script and whatnot. But still, the concept is entirely valid.

I ******* love television these days. I always cringe whenever I hear anybody say "I don't watch TV/shows" because those same people all see the newest blockbuster in theaters the week it comes out, and they're missing what amounts to the coming of age of the television industry. BSG has no competition, as near as I can tell. That needs to change.

Rindill the Red
13th Nov 2010, 05:43
I think Battlestar Galactica really kicked people in the teeth in regards to the overall potential of TV shows as an art form. Granted, I've been feeling for the last five or six years that television is beginning to trump the movie industry in terms of the ratio of quality to crap, as well as the overall quality of what has been coming out. Name me any great movie that's come out in the last ten years and I can point you to an episode of BSG that is just as well written, and deals with all the same concepts, for the most part.

The thing about TV shows is that due to their inherent nature (the fact that they are episodic), it allows much more breathing room for doing pretty much anything. If you aren't putting together a two-hour movie, and instead you're going to have say 20 45-minute episodes, you can fit unbelievably more information, dialog, etc. It's really quite brilliant.

I remember hearing that one of the reasons the Deus Ex movie never happened was because the game was too long, too involved, and had too many characters for it to ever work. Now that you mention it, it seems that a TV show would absolutely be the way to go. You could literally recreate the entire first game in a 15-20 episode series, obviously with artistic license being taken in regards to specific parts of the script and whatnot. But still, the concept is entirely valid.

I ******* love television these days. I always cringe whenever I hear anybody say "I don't watch TV/shows" because those same people all see the newest blockbuster in theaters the week it comes out, and they're missing what amounts to the coming of age of the television industry. BSG has no competition, as near as I can tell. That needs to change.

There's still a lot of crap on TV. I don't think it'll ever get to the point where feature films have a worse ratio of good to crap than TV ever will.

That being said, there are some really really good shows out there.

The Wire
The Sopranos
Deadwood
Boardwalk Empire
(So I like HBO, sue me. Though still good, I find each show in succession has been getting a little worse, well, rather, not quite as good.)

Breaking Bad
The Walking Dead (good so far, but only two episodes in + I'm a big zombie fan)

Battlestar Galactica
Firefly

These are the only TV shows that I'm consistently watching or have purchased.

Brockxz
13th Nov 2010, 06:41
hmm I see at 0:55 there is Yuriy Kutsenko as a sniper but at IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0476544/) I don't see Stalker name as being in production under his name. Most likely this in really early production stage now. Also there most likely will be really easy to get the right atmosphere for the Zone because Eastern Europe has plenty abandoned military rocket bases and even towns that has the same look as it was in the game.

Unstoppable
13th Nov 2010, 09:12
That doesn't look bad at all. As for a Deus Ex TV show. The best you can ever hope for that is to do one yourself. I know some production indie company that did a half life 2 episode and it was very well done. They were called The Venture brothers or something. Search for it on Youtube.

Rindill the Red
28th Nov 2010, 06:11
fRVTl2ii8BM Holy ****.

xaduha
28th Nov 2010, 06:17
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kindred:_The_Embraced
"Vampire: The Masquerade" based series.

[FGS]Shadowrunner
28th Nov 2010, 07:13

One of the best books ever written is Dune by Frank Herbert. The movie left a lot to be desired. It lost half the story and what was left, although it had some merits, failed to capture the essence of Dune. Chronicles of Riddick did a better job than Dune in providing us that highly stylized art direction in a sci-fi movie, but even there COR is only part of a wider story.

You might be right, but the thought of a TV show makes me really nervous.

I think you will find the reason why Deus Ex The Movie was shelved was more to do with the fact the plotline contained FEMA and the WTC being collapsed by terrorists. This was in fact incidental, due to mapping issues with the skybox in the Liberty Island level, they couldn't literally fit the WTC into the skyline, so it was removed and the excuse that terrorists had brought it down was formed. After the real 9/11 there was no way a US movie giant like Columbia was going to make a movie which suggested terrorists are everywhere besides terrorist organisations.

If the production values were huge enough and they could get top actors on board, then ok cool, otherwise it could really destroy credibility.

Fox89
28th Nov 2010, 15:30
Battlestar Galactica
Firefly

Yes. These two, I'm right there with you!

I'm not sure Deus Ex would work as a TV show if it stayed true to the game because the source material is too involved and everyone would try and draw comparisons. It could work if they pulled the BSG trick of taking the same concept and telling a very different story I think, because then people will be more willing to accept it on its own merits, rather than examining what it does better and worse than the game.

mad_red
28th Nov 2010, 15:31
Shadowrunner;1529826']One of the best books ever written is Dune by Frank Herbert. The movie left a lot to be desired. It lost half the story and what was left, although it had some merits, failed to capture the essence of Dune. Chronicles of Riddick did a better job than Dune in providing us that highly stylized art direction in a sci-fi movie, but even there COR is only part of a wider story.

I have to say though, the Dune mini-series didn't fare a lot better. The story was better, but it lacked the alienation that I experienced in the book and David Lynch's movie. I think a lot of time many details that hint at the wider story get left out because they are too distracting or confusing.

ZakKa89
28th Nov 2010, 16:13
Guys check out Misfits it's a british show where teenagers get superpowers. A lot better than Heroes.

MaxxQ1
28th Nov 2010, 16:16

I don't watch TV at all except for two things: Mythbusters and The Walking Dead (and after tonight and next week, I won't even be watching Walking Dead until the next 13 episodes come out). In fact, I don't even *own* a TV (and no, I don't look at HULU or whatever else shows TV episodes on the web*).

In case you're wondering, I watch it at my sister's place on *their* TV.

Contrary to your assertion, I don't "see the newest blockbuster in theaters the week it comes out", either. In fact, the last movie I saw in the theater was Inception, and that was a few weeks after it came out. The only reason I saw it was because my daughter was home from college and I spent the day with her. That was the movie she wanted to see.

The last movie I saw (in the theater) before that one was the first Iron Man a couple weeks after *it* came out.

*I have to admit, though, that I am an employee of a certain company that sends movies to people in red envelopes, and I have a free account because of that. Which of course means that I have access to damn near every TV show and movie ever released on DVD or Blu-Ray.

That said, I haven't actually *watched* any TV shows from there, and aside from Firefly, Babylon 5, Star Trek (the original series), and HBO's From the Earth to the Moon, the only TV I have in my DVD collection is all anime.

I can't say I'm too terribly interested in BSG. I'm not a big fan of the original, except as an exercise in cheesy nostalgia, and, as a friend of mine says, "They made Starbuck a female! WTF!?!" Not that I would care one way or another - I just haven't been interested in much TV, and 98% (IMO) of what's on is crap anyway.

Fox89
28th Nov 2010, 16:24
I can't say I'm too terribly interested in BSG. I'm not a big fan of the original, except as an exercise in cheesy nostalgia, and, as a friend of mine says, "They made Starbuck a female! WTF!?!" Not that I would care one way or another

New BSG is nothing like the original and far, far superior. To give you an idea of how good, the cast and crew were invited to a special session of the UN as an educational project to discuss the issues dealt with on the show. I've not seen 'The Wire', which I hear is as good as TV gets, but BSG is also as good as TV gets.

Possibly even better than Firefly... tough one!

the coming of age of the television industry. BSG has no competition, as near as I can tell. That needs to change.

I am impressed with modern TV actually! Sure, there's a lot of rubbish around but with so many channels catering for more or less everyone, there are a fair amount of gems around! Shame half of them come out on FOX and therefore get cancelled ^^

Ice-Lizard
30th Nov 2010, 12:59
If they did this right, I'm sure that based on the HR trailer, Deus Ex would make a fantastic movie/series (longevity) if it were done faithfully.

FreedomForever
1st Dec 2010, 00:25
I could see this working....Alot of shows there days have some sort of Conspiracy going on.

Deus Ex seems like a Universe full of content which is needed for a tv show.....I can see it working out in terms of how interesting it will be but it also needs to have action and look believable . This will effect alot on who makes the show, if is a not so great company, the action won't look good and neither will the surroundings.

I hope if they made it happen, a big company with a nice budget would pick it up but have a good director

3rdmillhouse
1st Dec 2010, 00:33
I hope if they made it happen, a big company with a nice budget would pick it up but have a good director

A few issues with that: "Big companies" often translates in "money-hoarding investors only interested in profits" and "good directors" often translates in "douchebags with overinflated egos", and both of these expressions in the same setence means "dumbing down" the storyline to make it more palatable to the ignorant masses.

Rindill the Red
1st Dec 2010, 01:04
A few issues with that: "Big companies" often translates in "money-hoarding investors only interested in profits" and "good directors" often translates in "douchebags with overinflated egos", and both of these expressions in the same setence means "dumbing down" the storyline to make it more palatable to the ignorant masses.

I don't want to see it on regular networks... I'd rather see it done by a cable channel like HBO or AMC or perhaps even Square Enix can do it themselves and use exclusively 3d gen by Visual Works... which would be an orgasmic visual viewing experience.

Shralla
1st Dec 2010, 04:15

Well this is just the ****tiest and most depressing outlook on anything ever.

AMC and the SyFy Channel would like a word with you.

Rindill the Red
1st Dec 2010, 04:19
Viewers are Morons (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ViewersAreMorons)

There really should be a new one.

Gamers are morons.

mad825
1st Dec 2010, 05:00
Viewers are Morons (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ViewersAreMorons)

There really should be a new one.

Gamers are morons.

humans are generally morons.

St. Mellow
1st Dec 2010, 14:53
We are morons! YAY! Go mankind!

FreedomForever
1st Dec 2010, 20:03

Elitism much?

I mean how else is it going to be good?.......A good budget with a good director is what anything really needs to reach is full potential....unless you want some soap opera kind of budget that everything looks fake with bad producing and directing.

As for the dumbing down storyline......Is deus ex storyline really the complicated? Is full of twist and turns but not complicated enough to dumb it down.

Gvaz
2nd Dec 2010, 01:07
fRVTl2ii8BM Holy ****.

Wow, that was better directed than any scene in DA:O.

For shame.

jtr7
2nd Dec 2010, 01:43
Elitism much?

I mean how else is it going to be good?.......A good budget with a good director is what anything really needs to reach is full potential....unless you want some soap opera kind of budget that everything looks fake with bad producing and directing.

As for the dumbing down storyline......Is deus ex storyline really the complicated? Is full of twist and turns but not complicated enough to dumb it down.

Don't ask questions you don't really want the factual answers to.