PDA

View Full Version : New DX:HR Siliconera Interview

Esnuk
12th Nov 2010, 23:26
Here (http://twitter.com/Siliconera/status/3213228242898944)

subtlesnake
12th Nov 2010, 23:38
"And then there’s a little bit of, not everybody is going to be able get this, because there are some side quests that occur in the game only if you do things correctly, not correctly I shouldn’t say that. If you take certain choices they open the possibility to explore even more about your past. Doing that you discover things Adam himself doesn’t even know about his past."

Sounds great.

ChrisVCB
12th Nov 2010, 23:45
Like it.

We’ve got things we can definitely portray various endings that could eventually lead because we have 25 more years. If you know the Deus Ex canon you know that we’re still three years before the fall with the AIDS virus and California falling into the ocean and all of that. We’re still three years before that so we have time to have these multiple endings.

Timeline consistency, keeping canon in mind, & thought into where the DX:HR story fits in. Nice.

FrankCSIS
13th Nov 2010, 00:07
Not that I want to bring dark clouds with me wherever I go, but this large time gap they have kept could also be interpreted as a surefire way to retain as much liberty as possible and never touch or affect canon, and portray whatever world it is they have imagined all the while being able to claim it as the undiscussed past of DX. Regardless of how interesting this world they have created is, of course. This last statement is not a judgement on quality or merit, far from it, but simply an observation.

Of course, we don't know. It may just as well be that it branches perfectly, and was written with the most of care.

Rindill the Red
13th Nov 2010, 00:09
Not that I want to bring dark clouds with me wherever I go, but this large time gap they have kept could also be interpreted as a surefire way to retain as much liberty as possible and never touch or affect canon, and portray whatever world it is they have imagined all the while being able to claim it as the undiscussed past of DX. Regardless of how interesting this world they have created is, of course. This last statement is not a judgement on quality or merit, far from it, but simply an observation.

Of course, we don't know. It may just as well be that it branches perfectly, and was written with the most of care.

I just hope they put future president Mead's face on the moon.

Dead-Eye
13th Nov 2010, 00:17
California slipping into the ocean... well I'll be dead if that ever happens. :D

WildcatPhoenix
13th Nov 2010, 03:11

Honestly I'm okay with the storyline never directly branching into the known canon of Deus Ex. I don't expect MJ12 or the Illuminati to play a huge role in the story of this game; why should they? We've seen their story. Most of the dramatic tension would be weak and undermined by the fact we know how everything ends (a problem most prequels suffer from, actually).

Will there be small references? Sure. We've already seen one in the VersaLife billboard in Shanghai. But there are plenty of stories to be told in the DX universe that might not involve the Dentons or Bob Page. As long as it doesn't directly contradict existing canon (for example, as long as they don't have spaceships or super-futuristic cities or really futuristic fashion styles or....ermmm, well....).

Pinky_Powers
13th Nov 2010, 04:07

lol. This is certainly a large portion of why they chose this distant past in the canon; the freedom it affords them. This is not a thing to begrudge them, but a point of thanksgiving to all sober-minded Deus Ex fans. And here's why...

It opens up the continuity for a large, sprawling story with large, sprawling consequences, which makes for a large, sprawling game on par with the original. This is a joy for the developers, and the player is presented with a powerful experience.

And for those of us who also demand a strong tie to canon, we have reassurances on that front...

Not only have we heard about the Deus Ex bible -- it was also required reading before we began work on the story concept for Human Revolution. After reading it, we spent several months filling in some of the blanks in its timeline and history in order to create the characters, companies, cities, and world events that exist in 2027. Whenever we had questions about specific details, we conferred with Sheldon Pacotti to make sure that our new concepts could be as accurate as possible.

I'm very comfortable with the situation in this regard. :D

Anasumtj
13th Nov 2010, 04:32
Your optimism sometimes makes me ill, Pinky.

Quit that.

Shralla
13th Nov 2010, 04:42
I really, REALLY hate it when people link to crap like Twitter, so we have to click the link IN Twitter just to get to the actual interview.

WE DON'T CARE ABOUT TWITTER. I DON'T EVEN HAVE ONE. IT'S ******* STUPID.

Pinky_Powers
13th Nov 2010, 04:49
Your optimism sometimes makes me ill, Pinky.

Quit that.

Admit it, I have a way of making even your heart soar. ;)

Irate_Iguana
13th Nov 2010, 14:43
I like interviews with Mary DeMarle. She has a nice way of talking about the game.

I really, REALLY hate it when people link to crap like Twitter, so we have to click the link IN Twitter just to get to the actual interview.

This.

Esnuk
13th Nov 2010, 14:59

lol.

pha
13th Nov 2010, 15:46

:thumb: