PDA

View Full Version : New preview from Destructoid

IdiotInAJeep
9th Nov 2010, 08:14
This preview confirms that we won't be locked into a certain "pillar" of gameplay once we choose. Hopefully this should please some of us...:whistle:

http://www.destructoid.com/preview-deus-ex-human-revolution-played-three-ways-186769.phtml#ext

Another one which gives a brief overview of the story and Eidos Montreal's preferences for "illustration over simulation".

http://www.destructoid.com/preview-deus-ex-human-revolution-played-three-ways-186769.phtml#ext

K^2
9th Nov 2010, 09:10
Ah, there we go. A picture of the hacking mini-game at last.

Irate_Iguana
9th Nov 2010, 09:45
Ah, there we go. A picture of the hacking mini-game at last.

We've seen that pic before.

OwlSolar
9th Nov 2010, 09:46
Well, at least it's in context this time. :hmm:

avenging_teabag
9th Nov 2010, 09:56
can you fix the 2Nd link please
Nice username :nut:

So, in which of the new previews was it mentioned that Adam can now sell some of his loot? I'm confused and lost...

WildcatPhoenix
9th Nov 2010, 14:28
All this fancy talking earned us a "silver tongue" merit and entry into the front door, no questions asked.

Ugh. :hmm:

Pinky_Powers
9th Nov 2010, 14:51
This was new to me! :eek:

What was really neat is how the entire mood changed from the previous play. Where we were hiding behind fax machines to take cover from fire before we were now able to freely walk, talking to policemen and listening to conversations. More story elements were easily uncovered, and there was even an opportunity to get ahold of a special weapon that would have otherwise been inaccessible through exploration.

Splendid! :D

JobeGDG
9th Nov 2010, 18:21
All this fancy talking earned us a "silver tongue" merit and entry into the front door, no questions asked. Ugh. :hmm:

Normally (that is, going only by the way it's mentioned and then discarded as a point in the article), I'd agree, but I found that this sort of thing didn't bug me in Alpha Protocol—quite the contrary—perks based on what you actually do instead of (or rather, in addition to) where you allotted your experience points worked really well. I think that it would work well in a Deus Ex environment, too.

That's what they meant by "merit," right? They weren't just referring to an achievement? I mean, if it was an achievement, they would've said "achievement," right?

RIGHT?!

Happy
9th Nov 2010, 18:25
^ boyo, are you in for a big surpirize :)

Shralla
9th Nov 2010, 21:51
Ugh. :hmm:

What's the issue now?

Happy
9th Nov 2010, 21:58
^ I think he's referring to the merit/acheivement award

IdiotInAJeep
10th Nov 2010, 03:05
That merit thing sounds awfully like bioware-esque "achievements".

Shralla
10th Nov 2010, 03:11
That merit thing sounds awfully like bioware-esque "achievements".

I agree that acheivements are stupid and pointless, but their inclusion doesn't affect the game at all.

WildcatPhoenix
10th Nov 2010, 03:28
I agree that acheivements are stupid and pointless, but their inclusion doesn't affect the game at all.

So it won't bother you when some stupid text pops up on screen after you k.o. an enemy reading "Silent But Deadly-Achievement Unlocked (50 pts)." Good for you.

I am not as patient or forgiving with my games. Do not clutter my screen with inane "YOU WIN A PRIZE" bulls.hit. It's insulting, it's juvenile, and it doesn't belong in Deus Ex.

God, just imagine achievements in the original game:

"I vanted oraaaange!"- Buy 50 cans of soda.
"A BOMB!"- Throw 15 LAMs.
"The Big Chill."- Turn off Lucius DeBeers' life support.
"Knockin' It Down."- Make 10 baskets on the basketball court.
"Pull!"- Kill 200 pigeons.

I repeat....ugh.

Pinky_Powers
10th Nov 2010, 03:31
And we're having this conversation again... :rolleyes:

Shralla
10th Nov 2010, 03:46
So when you run out of legitimate or semi-legitimate complaints, you just start complaining about things that have no bearing on the game at all?

WildcatPhoenix
10th Nov 2010, 03:49
So when you run out of legitimate or semi-legitimate complaints, you just start complaining about things that have no bearing on the game at all?

How does this discussion "have no bearing on the game at all," oh wise Defenders of EM? I am stating my opinion that achievements (such as the aformentioned "Silver Tongue" in the preview) have no place in a Deus Ex game.

That is a relevant point, regardless of whether or not you agree with it.

Shralla
10th Nov 2010, 03:52
"Has no place in Deus Ex" is not the same as "affects gameplay or the way you progress through the game in any fashion whatsoever."

So no, it's not a "relevant point." It would be relevant if achievements gave you gameplay rewards, but as it stands, a little thing popping up on your screen to tell you that you unlocked an achievement is not in any way a detractor from the experience of interacting with the game.

luminar
10th Nov 2010, 03:56
It seem's simple to me. Add an option to disable the "achievement unlocked" pop up.

Also any game released for the 360 and I assume the ps3 is REQUIRED to have achievements/trophy's. On the 360 I think there are even rules about how much each individual achievement can be worth, how many it can have, and how many points in all you can gain from a single game. For some reason microsoft is like a Gamerscore nazi.

WildcatPhoenix
10th Nov 2010, 04:00
"Has no place in Deus Ex" is not the same as "affects gameplay or the way you progress through the game in any fashion whatsoever."

So no, it's not a "relevant point." It would be relevant if achievements gave you gameplay rewards, but as it stands, a little thing popping up on your screen to tell you that you unlocked an achievement is not in any way a detractor from the experience of interacting with the game.

First of all, we don't know that it doesn't give you gameplay rewards (I doubt this is the case, but at this point...I wouldn't put anything past EM). Second of all, what does the inclusion of this pointless achievement system tell you about the design process being put forth on this game?

If they go to all this effort to make such a minimalist HUD, yet clutter your screen with stupid text every time you manage to do anything in the game (consider this in the context of using third person as a "reward" for the player...as if we are drooling idiots who need a cookie every time we perform an action), does that suggest to you a game that will be complex, detailed, highly literate, and challenging?

Rindill the Red
10th Nov 2010, 04:00

Actually, I agree.

OwlSolar
10th Nov 2010, 06:16
How hard is it to simply ignore that little "stupid text?" It shows up for about two seconds and takes up almost no space.

If they go to all this effort to make such a minimalist HUD, yet clutter your screen with stupid text every time you manage to do anything in the game (consider this in the context of using third person as a "reward" for the player...as if we are drooling idiots who need a cookie every time we perform an action), does that suggest to you a game that will be complex, detailed, highly literate, and challenging?
...Really? Having achievements automatically means that this game will not be "complex, detailed, highly literate, and challenging?" I'm starting to lose faith in humanity. I just facepalmed so hard I almost broke my glasses.
For crying out loud, that stupid little text has nothing to do whatsoever with the HUD. Who says they're trying to clutter anything? Sounds more like you're just trying to justify your irrational rage for achievements and are looking for any "reasoning" whatsoever that might prove your point.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I sure miss the goons. :(

IdiotInAJeep
10th Nov 2010, 23:52
Welcome to the official forums. Angry, illogical and speculative. But that's why we love them.

Donvermicelli
11th Nov 2010, 00:05
I am just loving the title: Deus Ex: Human Revolution: It's in the details.
Guessing that one detail aka this forum is getting overlooked half the time.

OwlSolar
11th Nov 2010, 00:40
Welcome to the official forums. Angry, illogical and speculative. But that's why we love them.
I really need to stop taking rationality for granted.
Hey, speaking of this, anyone ever read The Stranger by Camus? This discussion reminds me of that for some reason.

mentalkase
11th Nov 2010, 03:16
Why are you people worrying about achievements? Aren't you going to be playing on PC? Does PC get achievements now? Mine sure doesn't.

Pinky_Powers
11th Nov 2010, 03:21
Why are you people worrying about achievements? Aren't you going to be playing on PC? Does PC get achievements now? Mine sure doesn't.

If they run the game through Steam, it will more than likely have some form of Achievements.

OwlSolar
11th Nov 2010, 03:47
If they really hate achievements so much, then getting a hard copy will most likely be worth the trouble.

Dead-Eye
11th Nov 2010, 04:03
Every Eidos game that has come out recently has had Game For Windows Live as some kinda mandatory indoctrination client that needs to be installed in order to play the game.

Logic says that Human Revaluation won't be different.

Edit: Just finished the article. Is it just me or dose this author sound like he's never heard of Deus Ex before this.