PDA

View Full Version : I want a movie based on Deus Ex HR :)

bandek
8th Nov 2010, 14:33
Hi :wave:

After seeing trailers i realize that this would be a great movie.
A movie even better than game !! Which i of course have not even play yet ;) but i love Deus Ex 1 and Deus Ex: Invisible War. [edit]

Imagine this atmosphere of the game, characters, fights, cyber punk vision of the future... WOW
And i think that this movie should be make on game's engine.

Not some lazy actors who want milions for few months of work.
Even more - if some actor want to act in this movie then he/she should pay for it, because this movie would be GREAT, something like Matrix, something way better than Matrix !!!

Don't you think the same??

Sorry for my English... :whistle:

luminar
8th Nov 2010, 14:39

A movie even better than game !! Which i of course have not even play yet ;) but i love Deus Ex 1,2 and Invisible War.

Imagine this atmosphere of the game, characters, fights, cyber punk vision of the future... WOW

Even more - if some actor want to act in this movie then he/she should pay for it, because this movie would be GREAT, something like Matrix, something way better than Matrix !!!

I think if done well and by true fans of the series, sure! But the likelyhood of something like what your describing happening is ridiculously low.

Red
8th Nov 2010, 14:53
Not sure if troll.... hmmm

But I'd rather a movie based on original DX.

VectorM
8th Nov 2010, 15:08
No.

But I'd rather a movie based on original DX

Dude. NO.

atLaNt1s
8th Nov 2010, 15:22
Of course its not about the money, its about the message and the message is already old, we need new ideas, new styles of sci-fi other than cyberpunk and remember that technology will make everything easier, even speculating!

Ashpolt
8th Nov 2010, 15:27
but i love Deus Ex 1,2 and Invisible War.

Hang on, there was a Deus Ex 2 that I didn't know about? Was it better than InvisiWar? :P

Also, I feel you may find DXHR to your tastes if you want more of a movie. :rolleyes:

Pinky_Powers
8th Nov 2010, 15:37
we need new ideas, new styles of sci-fi other than cyberpunk

There's a lot of sci-fi out there, and very little of it is Cyberpunk. In fact, Cyberpunk is nearly died out completely. We need more of it, not less.

sonicsidewinder
8th Nov 2010, 15:51
It would be too dificult.

DE bases itself on choice of play, where everyone plays diferently.

That'd be hard to capture in a film. But as a straight up action film it'd be alright.

Speaking of films, i watched V for Vendetta last night and was suprised by the amount of plot similarities there are to DE.

bandek
8th Nov 2010, 15:54
Hang on, there was a Deus Ex 2 that I didn't know about? Was it better than InvisiWar? :P

Hmm :scratch:
Yes it was better :nut:

Sorry of course my mistake, it was so long ago since i've played deus ex that i almost forget it :lol:

Hmm maybe i should play once more time before dxhr come out...

or before a movie come out :eek:

Blackbird SR-71C
8th Nov 2010, 16:55

A movie even better than game !! Which i of course have not even play yet ;) but i love Deus Ex 1,2 and Invisible War.

I want a game based on Mass Effect 2, though they got to make that one cheaper since the movie cost me 50$.

Angel-A
8th Nov 2010, 17:04
Oh my God, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

A movie would never be able to do it justice, I'm sorry. 30 hours of game =/= 2 hour movie.
Video game movies are notoriously bad when it comes to medium translation. :hmm: But if you want an adaption, a TV series is the way to go. That would work perfectly for DX.
Hmm, something else: DX is all about multiple choice, so that presents some problems for a linear story. There would be a lot of "That's the wrong way to do it!" from people who've played the game.

bandek
8th Nov 2010, 17:36
I want a game based on Mass Effect 2, though they got to make that one cheaper since the movie cost me 50$.

Belive me or not but I've got Mass Effect 1 on my shelf for about two years (original box version with manual and other stuff) and i even haven't open the box and never played it. :nut:

So many games so little time :(

A movie would never be able to do it justice, I'm sorry. 30 hours of game =/= 2 hour movie.
Video game movies are notoriously bad when it comes to medium translation. :hmm: But if you want an adaption, a TV series is the way to go. That would work perfectly for DX.
Hmm, something else: DX is all about multiple choice, so that presents some problems for a linear story. There would be a lot of "That's the wrong way to do it!" from people who've played the game.

Matrix was only about 5 hours of movie and then there were many more - deleted scenes, books, games, etc. Movie was just the begining for Matrix like many other games.

Here we have DX 1, 2 and we will have a game DXHR (will we??) now we need a movie, movies, TV series, etc.
Something more than book that we will have.

Besides DXHR is official a 10 years program for Eidos... so there will be more games and there has to be a movie. You will see ;)

Angel-A
8th Nov 2010, 17:53
Belive me or not but I've got Mass Effect 1 on my shelf for about two years (original box version with manual and other stuff) and i even haven't open the box and never played it. :nut:

So many games so little time :(

Matrix was only about 5 hours of movie and then there were many more - deleted scenes, books, games, etc. Movie was just the begining for Matrix like many other games.

Here we have DX 1, 2 and we will have a game DXHR (will we??) now we need a movie, movies, TV series, etc.
Something more than book that we will have.

Besides DXHR is official a 10 years program for Eidos... so there will be more games and there has to be a movie. You will see ;)
It's easy to build up from a few hours of movie to dozens of hours worth of gameplay. Not the other way around. Do you have any idea how much would have to be cut from the story to make each movie?

bandek
8th Nov 2010, 18:14
It's easy to build up from a few hours of movie to dozens of hours worth of gameplay. Not the other way around. Do you have any idea how much would have to be cut from the story to make each movie?

Yeap you're right but what a movie/movies it would be.
Usually there's a movie with few or more good scenes, dialogs etc. and then they build up the rest of the story via books, games, etc.

Here we've got a great long story so now we have to cut this story using only the best scenes and dialogs form the game or from the whole series of DX to one great movie.
Ofcourse i would want to see something more than in game but...

Why this movie would be great and yet it wouldn't be the same scenes you would see in a game - because there would be only the BEST scenes and you just can't finish the whole game and say my choice's was the best because every time you play you would probably try different path.

Look: a movie based on a good book, like Lord Of The Rings = huge story and three huge movies = huge money
You see my point??

Mindmute
8th Nov 2010, 18:26
Why this movie would be great and yet it wouldn't be the same scenes you would see in a game - because there would be only the BEST scenes

Best scenes? In order for it to be anything other a simple highlight reel, there's still need to have some of the story/filler, piecing it together. You need most of the rest of the story in order to even keep context.

Look: a movie based on a good book, like Lord Of The Rings = huge story and three huge movies = huge money
You see my point??

The difference is that Lord of the Rings was already a widely successful and critically acclaimed story before the movies were even out, so it wasn't as hard to pitch to a studio that the story should be told in a triology of films. While there were adjustments and minor cuts, the overall format of Lord of the Rings lent itself to a triology.

Bottom line: there is no way you could fit DX (and I hope DX:HR) into a movie without losing important story elements, or cheapening the whole story in some way, and there is no way a studio would sign a deal to produce that story as a triology or a even a sequence of two films. It would simply be too big a risk for a studio to invest in, without any guarantee whatsoever of even breaking even.

For your information, concerning your original post, you're listing one game too many on the series. There was Deus Ex and Deus Ex:Invisible War. There was no Deus Ex 2 in between those two games.

Angel-A
8th Nov 2010, 18:44
Not to mention... Anyone who has read a novel, watched a series, or played a game and then seen it compressed into a movie will certainly know that cutting out parts of the story (no matter how much of "lesser" elemements they are) is just brutal to watch. I've read novels and watched the movie adaptions. They make me want to scream. Plot points are changed and things get boiled into the essentials, it SUCKS.

WildcatPhoenix
8th Nov 2010, 18:46
There's a lot of sci-fi out there, and very little of it is Cyberpunk. In fact, Cyberpunk is nearly died out completely. We need more of it, not less.

Hear hear *raps thrice on table* :thumb:

Mindmute
8th Nov 2010, 18:51
Not to mention... Anyone who has read a novel, watched a series, or played a game and then seen it compressed into a movie will certainly know that cutting out parts of the story (no matter how much of "lesser" elemements they are) is just brutal to watch. I've read novels and watched the movie adaptions. They make me want to scream. Plot points are changed and things get boiled into the essentials, it SUCKS.

Blade Runner was still very nice despite the changes, though Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? made the world feel a lot richer. But in general, yes, I'm going to have to agree with this too.

IH-Denton
8th Nov 2010, 18:58

lets see... I seen the Equilibrium movie for about... 8 times, I guess. It is pretty much time I spent for this movie. Why I did that? WHY??? :D

Jerion
8th Nov 2010, 19:02
Not doable. Firsthand I can say that far too much would be sacrificed in the process of making a movie adaptation of HR. A movie set in the same universe and time frame but along an unrelated story could work. A movie of that sort would be brilliant, I think.

bandek
8th Nov 2010, 21:09
For your information, concerning your original post, you're listing one game too many on the series. There was Deus Ex and Deus Ex:Invisible War. There was no Deus Ex 2 in between those two games.

I know - my mistake :o
Already have been corrected

A movie set in the same universe and time frame but along an unrelated story could work. A movie of that sort would be brilliant, I think.

Yes, your idea is brilliant :D
But same universe, same fights (can't wait to do it in DXHR), same atmosphere as trailers. :cool:
Main character also should appear in the movie. Maybe for just one scene.
And maybe a movie could explain some stuff from the whole series of DX, with a parallel ending.

BTW Did you notice the date in trailer - year 2027 - wow only 17 years and i could really buy some of this stuff in the shop. I definitely want that hand with switchable weapons ;) and those glasses :cool:

OwlSolar
9th Nov 2010, 00:54
Deus Ex wouldn't really be that great as a movie, to be honest. The story has been compared to a B-movie plot, and there's not much the setting does that hasn't been done before. What most people seem to praise it for is immersion and choice, and having a better story than most other video games.

Pinky_Powers
9th Nov 2010, 00:58
Hear hear *raps thrice on table* :thumb:

Ho ho, I thought we'd find some common ground with that. ;)

mentalkase
9th Nov 2010, 01:04
If they're going to film something cyberpunk why not finally make Neuromancer and then the rest of the 'sprawl' series .. then why not move on to the 'bridge' series. It's about time William Gibson got his due. Honestly some of his plots are pretty convoluted and not always great .. but I still think that if rewritten a bit in the screenplays and with the right director they could make very cool movies.

FrankCSIS
9th Nov 2010, 01:08
Aren't they attempting Neuromancer again, for the X'th time? Last I read a director was attached.

I'd rather see a solid RPG made out of it, but that's me.

avenging_teabag
9th Nov 2010, 09:37
Watchmen. Prestige. No Country for Old Men. Fight Club. Godfather. Gone with the Wind. The Shining. Stalker. The Bourne Identity. Dangerous Liaisons. Serenity, the list goes on and on. Not to mention Sherlock Holmes, James Bond, Three Musketeers etc. Tons of literary works, tv shows etc. get reworked into movie screenplays every year, and some of them suck but some others are classics: it all depends on how it's written and shot. Movies based on videogames sucked so far because they were simply bad movies, it's entirely possible to make a good videogame movie if there's a good director, good actors, good effects and above all - a good screenplay.

Not doable. Firsthand I can say that far too much would be sacrificed in the process of making a movie adaptation of HR. A movie set in the same universe and time frame but along an unrelated story could work. A movie of that sort would be brilliant, I think.

Or they could go the Bourne way: take the main character, a few names, the basic concept and to hell with all the rest if the movie itself is good. Not that it will ever happen, of course.