PDA

View Full Version : German voice samples (warning: dialogue spoilers inside)

JaqTaar
20th Oct 2010, 19:54
Some samples of the German voices (done by toneworkz in Hamburg) are available for download, for example here:
http://download.gamestar.de/public/52100/52157/Deus-Ex-Human-Evolution-Deutsche-Sprachprobe.zip

There are two tracks, one with excerpts from several scenes and the other from (I guess) a radio show whose host is (I guess) called Lazarus.

You can also "watch" them on Youtube:
kO3C5Cj_I_k xlA_-FInyO4

Dialogues
- Patient X?
- That's not important, Adam. Just part of the research work.
- Should I know something about this lab? About Sarif?
- You worry too much, Adam. We're doing a good thing here. We help people to overcome their physical limits.
- Yeah. As long as they work for the defense department.

- You are Tong?
- You only realize that now? Seems like you're not as smart as you think.
- Does the name Sarif Industries tell you something?
- Don't you watch the news? The bio-tech companies aren't doing so well right now. Especially those producing augmentations

- I shot a boy, but he was already dead by then. He decided to become a weapon and with his augmentations he'd just have walked through us all.
- He was 15, Haas. In what kind of world is a bullet between the eyes of a fifteen-year-old justifiable?

- Who else is involved in this, Eliza? Where is Me(a?)gan Reed? Who ordered the kidnapping?
- I want to tell you, Adam, but I cannot.
- Why not?
- Because she does not allow it.

- Jensen, your little blackmailing cost me my job. *******!

- Listen, Doctor. I know you just wanted to help. And somewhere along the way everything got out of hand. But there are still people out there who need you. Who do care if ? live or die. If you pull the trigger, they will all ask themselves for the rest of their lives, with what ? left ? in the lurch.
(this one's a bit difficult, because "sie" can mean "you" or "they/them")
- My whole life all I wanted to do was help people. But as doctor I couldn't help those who already replaced their natural body parts. I refuse to accept that one can find salvation in a facility, whose aim it is to bring suffering and constant pain. I'd rather die.

- In Washington the masses are still gathering in front of the Capitol. They demand the Congress to strictly regulate the modification of the abilities of the human body. This is a reaction to the claim made by bio-technology expert David Sarif that his company had found a way to make human-controlled evolution accessible to everyone. I am Eliza Kasan, live coverage for Picus.

Lazarus
We're talking about Eliza Kasan's open interview with Sao-Yun-Ro (spelling?). Open? What a ****ty farce! Right, Steve? Picus should have announced it differently: The biggest villains of the entire business world muster to fight each other in an extremely slippery (risqué?) battle, to find out who can better satisfy the sick beliefs of the world order. I want to tell you what I think of Kasan. No matter how hot men between 18 and 35 find her, she should be destroyed. It's not a coincidence that she has such an incredible ass. It's just another way to get you! Oh Eliza, you're so hot! Whisper some more sweet banalities into my ear.
I asked Eliza for a talk to ask who really is pulling the strings at Picus. Oh sure, I might as well have asked the Pope if he'd get on board of a waggon at a gay parade.
Listen folks. 95% of what you see on TV is either a lie or a shameless attempt to distract you (from something). Those are not new ideas. But for some reason you out there still haven't realized it. Let's work on that.

PS:
Found an article from a few days ago about the German voices.
http://www.4players.de/4players.php/dispbericht/Allgemein/Special/9776/69803/0/Deus_Ex_Human_Revolution.html
PPS:
No information on the actual game. But it's an interesting read about the dubbing work.

Pinky_Powers
20th Oct 2010, 19:55
Sounds more than a little dangerous! :eek:

AlexOfSpades
20th Oct 2010, 20:18
Wayne Haas, YOU COWARD!!!!

SageSavage
20th Oct 2010, 20:27
In case EM published that in order to get some feedback on it, here's mine:
it's solid quality compared with the voice overs for many other games but the style in which the lines are delivered is not fitting for a game. It had to be much more like dubs for movies. This sounds more like theater instead, a radio play actually. They try too hard with the emotions and at the same time it all sounds a bit too clean. I'm also not a fan of Adams' voice, too smooth and too undistinctive.

Personally, I am not a big fan of dubs anyway but many people will actually go for the localized version, I guess. I hope it will be multi-language with subtitels.

KSingh77
20th Oct 2010, 20:46
Soooo

Meagan Reed is the scientist,right?

These samples does tell us a bit more about the game.

Fluffis
20th Oct 2010, 20:55
Does Adam still say "Derp"?

SageSavage
20th Oct 2010, 21:01
Changed to "Burp" because of the German beer.

Corpus
20th Oct 2010, 21:09
"In what kind of world is a bullet between the eyes of a fifteen-year-old justifiable?"
I love that line.

Pinky_Powers
20th Oct 2010, 21:09
Does Adam still say "Derp"?

It was Sarif who Derped. :)

sonicsidewinder
20th Oct 2010, 21:12
Gonna have to be carefull with these (if more are released).

Doesn't take much to spoil a story.

But these are pretty good. Gives a little more perspective.

Pinky_Powers
20th Oct 2010, 21:15

But these are pretty good. Gives a little more perspective.

I know just what you mean. They were delicious to read, but I could feel a certain measure of spoilage all the same. :hmm:

Tecman
20th Oct 2010, 21:40
Lazarus sounds a lot like Joe Greene, except in radio (?) instead of published text.

Fluffis
20th Oct 2010, 21:45
It was Sarif who Derped. :)

Sarif Derped? Adam didn't Derp? Derp... I mean D'oh!

Kodaemon
21st Oct 2010, 06:55
About the Eliza bit... Something about it seems strangely familiar (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1408230&postcount=46) :D

Corpus
21st Oct 2010, 07:52
About the Eliza bit... Something about it seems strangely familiar (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1408230&postcount=46) :D

Or maybe the actual AI is in control of Pictus. So Eliza has no choice but to do what it says.

Sabretooth1
21st Oct 2010, 08:05

I always thought she was virtual... maybe because she's named Eliza? I can't think of anything but chatbots when I think Eliza. I really hope they don't consider making it a plot twist that she's an AI, because her AI-ness is pretty obvious in her voice.

I wonder if they've used a real text-to-speech for her voice though, which would have been awesome. Ivona is pretty well-known for their very realistic text-to-speech engines. (http://www.ivona.com/#) To be honest though, if you run the "You can see it from here" line in Ivona, it comes out much more realistic than Eliza. >_>

avenging_teabag
21st Oct 2010, 08:40
German is such a beautiful language...

Irate_Iguana
21st Oct 2010, 09:52
"In what kind of world is a bullet between the eyes of a fifteen-year-old justifiable?"

Maybe in a world where child soldiers are wielding assault rifles at the age of eight and slaughter entire villages with them? Oh wait, that's just our world not even the one where they can get implants that will allow them to throw a car at you.

This line is pretty derp.

rokstrombo
21st Oct 2010, 12:44

I agree, JC killed children for a lot less :p

Lady_Of_The_Vine
21st Oct 2010, 12:51

Very true, so I've added spoiler tags and updated thread title.

Pinky_Powers
21st Oct 2010, 15:22
I always thought she was virtual... maybe because she's named Eliza? I can't think of anything but chatbots when I think Eliza.

Eliza is not a chatbot!

http://www.betterlivingthroughbeowulf.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/hepburn.jpg

AlexOfSpades
21st Oct 2010, 15:37
No?

Why she's using a sattelite as a hat in that picture you posted?

I dont know, man..

Shinrei
21st Oct 2010, 18:33
In case EM published that in order to get some feedback on it, here's mine:
its solid quality compared with the voice overs for many other games but the style in which the lines are delivered is not fitting for a game. It had to be much more like dubs for movies. This sounds more like theater instead, a radio play actually. They try too hard with the emotions and at the same time it all sounds a bit too clean. I'm also not a fan of Adams' voice, too smooth and too undistinctive.

Personally, I am not a big fan of dubs anyway but many people will actually go for the localized version, I guess. I hope it will be multi-languish with subtitels.

QFT! Altough I'm not really happy with Adam's voice, Eliza's is pretty good comparing to the other voice actors. Not really sure if my first playthrough will be in german....maybe first one and then switch to english version. So yeah, please EM/SE go for a multi language version! What I've heard so far from the trailers the english voice over is way better than these short german sequences. But we'll see it when the game ships - quite difficult to judge only per two short audio samples.

IOOI
21st Oct 2010, 18:59
I agree, JC killed children for a lot less :p

Fifteen!? I would say "Shoot the bastard! NAO!" :p

KSingh77
21st Oct 2010, 19:56
New dialogue sample

Adam: In what kind of world is a bullet between the eyes of a little asian boy working for the triads justifiable?

JC:The type that annoyed the hell out of me,besides he threaten to kill me.

Esnuk
21st Oct 2010, 20:44
In my opinion the German dubbing is good. Now, though, I'd like to hear it in English, even at the expense of a small spoiler. :p

AlexOfSpades
21st Oct 2010, 20:47
I wont hear it! I wont hear it! I hate spoilers.

*Covers the ears*

lalalalalalalallallalalala

WildcatPhoenix
21st Oct 2010, 20:59
I'm sure some of the dialogue will be slightly tweaked to suit its particular language (any good translator will tell you that a direct, word-for-word translation always comes out awkward and strangely paced). So these lines will most likely sound somewhat different in the English version...beyond the obvious fact they will be in English instead of German :p

These are interesting lines, and yes, they do in fact open up a little of the story for us. A little on the soap opera side for my personal taste, but context and delivery may improve on that as well.

Kodaemon
21st Oct 2010, 21:03
Also, the dialogue might sound better in the appropriate visual and sound cotext. Ambient background noise, music...

WildcatPhoenix
21st Oct 2010, 21:06
Man, oh man, I could listen to native German speakers all day. Such a great language.

Reminds me how strangely fitting the Japanese language track was for that Tokyo Game Show trailer. Rough, guttural languages just work well with cyberpunk, methinks. :thumb:

JaqTaar
21st Oct 2010, 21:33
I forgot to mention one thing: The Lazarus dubber is the German voice of Doug Heffernan. :)

Irate_Iguana
21st Oct 2010, 21:44
Man, oh man, I could listen to native German speakers all day. Such a great language.

Somehow I like German for only three things; shouting, cursing and dubbing spaghetti westerns. There is something about a terrible dub of an already pretty bad movie. It just flows.

OwlSolar
22nd Oct 2010, 00:07
Maybe in a world where child soldiers are wielding assault rifles at the age of eight and slaughter entire villages with them? Oh wait, that's just our world not even the one where they can get implants that will allow them to throw a car at you.

If a world has child soldiers in the first place, then it's pretty messed up.

Derp.

Ilves
23rd Oct 2010, 12:31
Sooo... On the topic of Eliza: How about this? (http://binarydissent.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/eliza1.jpg)

From the (among certain circles infamous (http://api.ning.com/files/GKNYP-uukfTUS4GRaOx38O4fPUxDQeYV9gjf39rEK549I2gTdX7ZJysMX2golhN47rPRhomHxgYCEh6VslBSu*rK12*BX8b*/IlluminatiCardGameTowers.jpg)) Steve Jackson Games 1981-1995 Illuminati card game.

One W. Spector used to be the SJG editor-in-chief back in the early 80’s. Ful circle? :nut:

II J0SePh X II
23rd Oct 2010, 16:39
Aah, reminds me of the audio novels from Die Drei Fragezeichen.

SageSavage
23rd Oct 2010, 17:30
Aah, reminds me of the audio novels from Die Drei Fragezeichen.
Yes, something like that. Not exactly the best style for DX, imo.

Piflik
21st Jan 2011, 13:17
Man...these voices are bad...they are too correct, if you know what I mean...grammatically...no real person would speak like that...it is more like a written dialogue, not a spoken one...the translation might be accurate, but the style of the sentences is more suited for a book, not for something that is voiced...it sounds exactly like an audio book...

All games I ever played (at least those with a decent localization...won't talk about the crappy ones) have that problem, they always sound like audio books...don't know who publishers get to do the translation/voices, but I might recommend using the same companies that do the localization for movies, because they are magnitudes better than anything I've ever seen in a game...

I really hope there is an option to play the game in the original language...