PDA

View Full Version : NEW!! 14 Oct. Gamespot Video Interview with Jonatchoo and James Swallow!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
14th Oct 2010, 15:04
http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/deusex3/video/6281907/deus-ex-human-revolution-interviewt

Irate_Iguana
14th Oct 2010, 15:17
This did not need to be a six minute video. For anyone contemplating watching this, it's the various trailers mixed with interview snippets that contain no new information.

WildcatPhoenix
14th Oct 2010, 15:22
Getting quite tired of this same interview over and over and over and over and over again. :hmm:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
14th Oct 2010, 15:24
Guys, shut up already. It's worth watching just to look at Jonatchoo! :rasp:

Pinky_Powers
14th Oct 2010, 16:22
I don't know what you're problems are, this was a quality interview. They didn't reveal anything new about the game, but there was some great personal stuff in there, and some enjoyable comments.

Irate Iguana, you really need a good smack. 90% of the trailer footage was playing while the interviewers spoke.
You're a tool.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
14th Oct 2010, 16:24
I don't know what you're problems are, this was a quality interview. They didn't reveal anything new about the game, but there was some great personal stuff in there, and some enjoyable comments.

^
Agreed. And James Swallow's part of the interview was very interesting.

Pinky_Powers
14th Oct 2010, 16:58
^

Quite! His writer's perspective was very refreshing. I'd love to hear more from him and Mary DeMarle.

Ninjerk
14th Oct 2010, 16:59
You're a tool.

Is that your opinion?

Pinky_Powers
14th Oct 2010, 17:13
Is that your opinion?

Hmm... good question. Yeah, must be.

Irate_Iguana
14th Oct 2010, 18:37
Irate Iguana, you really need a good smack. 90% of the trailer footage was playing while the interviewers spoke.
You're a tool.

Go cry more.

Pinky_Powers
14th Oct 2010, 19:01
I only weep over financial matters.

I can't afford to upgrade yet.

WildcatPhoenix
14th Oct 2010, 19:08
^

To you, maybe. I found it to be just more of the same vague statements we've gotten from the rest of the team.

I only weep over financial matters.

*sigh* I know the feeling, lol.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
14th Oct 2010, 19:10
To you, maybe.
Obviously. I was just expressing my opinion. That alright? :p

AlexOfSpades
14th Oct 2010, 19:15
Guys, shut up already. It's worth watching just to look at Jonatchoo! :rasp:

):

when will MyImmoral look at me instead~

WildcatPhoenix
14th Oct 2010, 19:15
Obviously. I was just expressing my opinion. That alright? :p

Of course, comrade. ;)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
14th Oct 2010, 19:18
):
when will MyImmoral look at me instead~

LOL @ Immoral again. :D
Are you creative and free-thinking, intelligent and charismatic, and possess a wicked sense of humour? If so, you may have a chance. ;)

AlexOfSpades
14th Oct 2010, 19:48
LOL @ Immoral again. :D
Are you creative and free-thinking, intelligent and charismatic, and possess a wicked sense of humour? If so, you may have a chance. ;)

I cant answer you, since i'm also humble.

:D

Lady_Of_The_Vine
14th Oct 2010, 19:50
I cant answer you, since i'm also humble.

A perfect answer; a true gentleman.... I don't care much for the elitist type. You score 10/10. :thumb:

Fluffis
14th Oct 2010, 20:19
A perfect answer; a true gentleman.... I don't care much for the elitist type. You score 10/10. :thumb:

I'd throw my hat in the ring as well, but I've already promised myself to Kyle.

Ashpolt
14th Oct 2010, 20:39
I think this was another boring interview, but I'm not sure: I lost interest halfway through.

Irate_Iguana
14th Oct 2010, 20:56
I think this was another boring interview, but I'm not sure: I lost interest halfway through.

Sure, ignore the lizard. I sit through the video to warn you and what do you do? You watch it anyway. Ashpolt, I am disappoint.

AlexOfSpades
14th Oct 2010, 21:37

Ahaa!

Do i get my MyImmortal Official Fanclub T-Shirt now?~

Lady_Of_The_Vine
15th Oct 2010, 15:17
Ahaa!

Do i get my MyImmortal Official Fanclub T-Shirt now?~

Not so fast; joining my fanclub is not that easy, I'm afraid. Are you up for the challenge? :flowers:

AlexOfSpades
15th Oct 2010, 15:23
Of course!

Anything for My Immortal!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
20th Oct 2010, 11:26
I hope Mr Swallow will be autographing some copies of The Icarus Effect. A very enticing contest prize. :cool:

Senka
21st Oct 2010, 07:22

http://thesavvygamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/immortal.jpg

JMSwallow
21st Oct 2010, 09:03
I hope Mr Swallow will be autographing some copies of The Icarus Effect. A very enticing contest prize. :cool:

Incidentally, the cover for Icarus Effect - as drawn by DX:HR's very own Jim Murray - is almost approved, so hopefully I'll be able to show it off soonish...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
21st Oct 2010, 09:14
Incidentally, the cover for Icarus Effect - as drawn by DX:HR's very own Jim Murray - is almost approved, so hopefully I'll be able to show it off soonish...

Woah! Awesome!!! Thank you for this info. :thumb:

Deus_Ex_Machina
21st Oct 2010, 09:19
Getting quite tired of this same interview over and over and over and over and over again. :hmm:

It's definitely very suspect.

In my personal experience, interviews that yield identical information time and time again, with no new information, are indicative of potential problems. This (http://ofphq.com/files/gallery/misc/162-ofp2-box-art.jpg) is an excellent, recent example.

We shall see soon enough, either way.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
21st Oct 2010, 13:19
It's definitely very suspect.

In my personal experience, interviews that yield identical information time and time again, with no new information, are indicative of potential problems.

With all this worry, how on earth do you sleep at nights? :eek:

Kodaemon
21st Oct 2010, 13:58
sleep is wrong

Pinky_Powers
21st Oct 2010, 15:11
In my personal experience, interviews that yield identical information time and time again, with no new information, are indicative of potential problems.

You've got a lot to learn. It's indicative of press tours and a stern schedule for when new information is released; the issues of OFDR were utterly incidental. If that game had been perfect, you would've seen the same interview patterns... though probably not the same interviews.

This is always how it's done. And it does get terribly tiring for those of us who read every piece of published news... but there's really just no way around it. This is the game.

El_Bel
21st Oct 2010, 16:04
Its Day-us Ex! Jesus!

Anasumtj
21st Oct 2010, 17:24
This is always how it's done. And it does get terribly tiring for those of us who read every piece of published news... but there's really just no way around it. This is the game.

Okay, now here's where I tell you that you have a lot to learn. Sit down, son. My memory recalls differently from yours.

Yes, there is always some redundancy and overlap with interviews and press releases over a lengthy period of time. But Jesus Christ, every single god damn thing out of these peoples' mouths reads exactly the same every time, and it's like nobody wants to press them further with follow-ups or elaboration.

If you're working on a Deus Ex game, you should have ****loads to talk about without the risk of venturing into spoiler territory. Either somebody is keeping EM on a ridiculously short leash or their dialogue belies a product that just won't be anywhere near as interesting as the first game.

Jerion
21st Oct 2010, 17:27
Swallow seems like an interesting character. Getting kind of tired of the interviews though, these journalists need to get more imaginative, ask new questions.

Of course!

Suckup! :poke:

:p

subtlesnake
21st Oct 2010, 17:48
Okay, now here's where I tell you that you have a lot to learn. Sit down, son. My memory recalls differently from yours.

Yes, there is always some redundancy and overlap with interviews and press releases over a lengthy period of time. But Jesus Christ, every single god damn thing out of these peoples' mouths reads exactly the same every time, and it's like nobody wants to press them further with follow-ups or elaboration.

If you're working on a Deus Ex game, you should have ****loads to talk about without the risk of venturing into spoiler territory. Either somebody is keeping EM on a ridiculously short leash or their dialogue belies a product that just won't be anywhere near as interesting as the first game.
The advantage of sticking to the 'company line' (at any given point in the press cycle) is that it allows you to easily keep track of what you have and haven't revealed, across interviews, and makes agreeing what is and isn't off limits simpler (because everyone commits to the same message). Also, coming up with varied and interesting responses, to the same sorts of questions, without spoiling anything, is pretty burdensome.

Finally, consider the huge number of outlets that ask for interviews, the fact that many people rely on one or two outlets for their information (so if information is revealed only in one specific place, they might miss it), and that the flow of new information has to be carefully managed (so that we find out new pieces of information on an incremental basis) - without spoiling the game substantially.

I think if you were in their position, you'd find it very difficult to manage all these things.

AlexOfSpades
21st Oct 2010, 17:53
Suckup! :poke:

:p

No, not suckup.

I'm just using my charisma and social abilities to formulate a false but solid friendship and later use it to proceed with the next steps of my strategy,
accomplishing my hidden agendas: blackmailing her until i can steal her account and ban everyone in the forum, then creating 9000 threads with naked pictures of Bob Page.

Okay, calm down, i'm kidding. Really, sheesh. A joke.

The pictures will be of Tracer Tong.

Kodaemon
21st Oct 2010, 17:55
You may as well spell it Tracer Dong.

JCpies
21st Oct 2010, 18:15

Speak of the devil.

Deus_Ex_Machina
21st Oct 2010, 19:31
You've got a lot to learn. It's indicative of press tours and a stern schedule for when new information is released; the issues of OFDR were utterly incidental. If that game had been perfect, you would've seen the same interview patterns... though probably not the same interviews.

I'll have to disagree.

New interviews typically yield SOME new information for most games, certainly when the interviews are being done mere MONTHS away from launch (assuming SE and EM are still dedicated to the early 2011 release window).

Another example of a recent game that had little to no significant information/in-game footage up until launch was Wolfenstein (2009). That ended well for fans of the series, amirite?

subtlesnake
21st Oct 2010, 20:24
I'll have to disagree.

New interviews typically yield SOME new information for most games, certainly when the interviews are being done mere MONTHS away from launch (assuming SE and EM are still dedicated to the early 2011 release window).

Another example of a recent game that had little to no significant information/in-game footage up until launch was Wolfenstein (2009). That ended well for fans of the series, amirite?
Well typically, there are new 'rounds' of interviews, where the interviewee is allowed to reveal more about the game, coinciding with new media that's been released. I'm sure that's the strategy for HR - we just have to wait for the next round of previews. There's still plenty of time.

I think Wolfenstein was just marketed badly in general. There was next to no publicity about it - certainly much less than HR has had. And we're not even nearing the release yet.

BigBoss
21st Oct 2010, 20:37
They spent a YEAR on that first trailer????????

Lady_Of_The_Vine
21st Oct 2010, 21:57
No, not suckup.

I'm just using my charisma and social abilities to formulate a false but solid friendship...

:eek:

I had such hopes for you. It appears you are not as loyal as I expected. :hmm:

Deus_Ex_Machina
21st Oct 2010, 22:01
They spent a YEAR on that first trailer????????

You, sir, are correct.

I like your username, by the way. MGS forever!

Pretentious Old Man.
21st Oct 2010, 22:26
JMSwallow, you are an awesome chap. That is all...

OwlSolar
22nd Oct 2010, 00:12
Guys, stop jumping to conclusions. There is no correlation between the amount of new information per interview and the quality of a game. You're seeing connections that aren't there, and bringing up Operation Flashpoint only weakens your case.

Deus_Ex_Machina
22nd Oct 2010, 02:12
Guys, stop jumping to conclusions. There is no correlation between the amount of new information per interview and the quality of a game. You're seeing connections that aren't there, and bringing up Operation Flashpoint only weakens your case.

I'm not stating that DXHR will suffer the same fate as OFPDR (although I won't be surprised in the slightest if it does). I'm merely stating the similarities concerning the pre-launch information (or lack thereof) presented in interviews.

Maybe I'm being paranoid because I'm a "world weary" gamer. If that turns out to be the case when DXHR is released, I'm willing to apologize and change my opinion of DXHR and EM. But being a "world weary" gamer, I look at the development of DXHR as I do almost every other game being developed in the modern day videogame industry: with a grain of salt. I've been let down too many times (especially recently) with sequels that left the original fanbase forsaken. Why should DXHR be any different? Because we WANT it to be? I've been there and done that with OFPDR and Wolfenstein (2009).

OwlSolar
22nd Oct 2010, 02:25
Those similarities don't mean anything. Again, you're seeing connections that don't exist.

FrankCSIS
22nd Oct 2010, 03:07
All I'm seeing is anal retentive communication plan. Damnable image-control marketing is what it is. Not much different from any movie release, or political campaign. Most likely people of the same school of thought anyway. It's not "how it is", it's how it's been decided to be. Could be different, but it works rather well that way. Think of Bich, and his "one difficulty level" slip, and how we all reacted, us and the rest of the internet covering the release. Multiply that by 200 and see the marketing nightmare.

I find it to show little faith in your people however. Covering the canadian conservative party during the last two campaigns, Harper didn't trust his candidate in the slightest to speak, hence the identical marketing strategy when dealing with the press. Only four star candidates were ever allowed to deal with the medias, always repeating the same key phrases. Liberal party opted for an entirely different relationship with the press. Then again, they also lost :p

pringlepower
22nd Oct 2010, 03:25
All I'm seeing is anal retentive communication plan. Damnable image-control marketing is what it is. Not much different from any movie release, or political campaign. Most likely people of the same school of thought anyway. It's not "how it is", it's how it's been decided to be. Could be different, but it works rather well that way. Think of Bich, and his "one difficulty level" slip, and how we all reacted, us and the rest of the internet covering the release. Multiply that by 200 and see the marketing nightmare.

I find it to show little faith in your people however. Covering the canadian conservative party during the last two campaigns, Harper didn't trust his candidate in the slightest to speak, hence the identical marketing strategy when dealing with the press. Only four star candidates were ever allowed to deal with the medias, always repeating the same key phrases. Liberal party opted for an entirely different relationship with the press. Then again, they also lost :p

Well they also had Dion. Unless he's old news, and I've been gone for way too long.

Pinky_Powers
22nd Oct 2010, 04:17
I'll have to disagree.

For the sake of those of us who hang on every word, it'd be nice if they spread the new information out a bit more evenly. But you're being ridiculous in your claims that EM does not release new information. It just comes in huge chunks, and then gets reported by every outlet imaginable over the course of a few months and a few gameshows... and that's where you get the same interviews, over and over again.

Also, I agree the Press needs some heavy creativity and backbone in their questions and doggedness.

FrankCSIS
22nd Oct 2010, 04:40
Well they also had Dion. Unless he's old news, and I've been gone for way too long.

Yeah, Martin, then Dion. Not the brightest stars, those two! But Dion is indeed old news, Ignatieff has taken over the party, with surprisingly similar results. There has been talks to chase him out amongst the executive, but they've sort of rallied around him, for now anyway. They brought some of Chretien's gang back from retirement, including the image-control boys, and Rae is posing as friends for now. Not sure where this is going, really.

pringlepower
22nd Oct 2010, 05:26
Yeah, Martin, then Dion. Not the brightest stars, those two! But Dion is indeed old news, Ignatieff has taken over the party, with surprisingly similar results. There has been talks to chase him out amongst the executive, but they've sort of rallied around him, for now anyway. They brought some of Chretien's gang back from retirement, including the image-control boys, and Rae is posing as friends for now. Not sure where this is going, really.

I'd just moved out of Canada when Ignatieff came in, and I assumed he'd at least be more successful than Dion. I miss Chretien really. No matter how well or poorly the country was being handled, you could always laugh at the things he said, and his accent (in good spirit, of course).

Red
22nd Oct 2010, 08:59
Its Day-us Ex! Jesus!

It's Days of Sex! Mohammed!

JMSwallow
22nd Oct 2010, 09:32
JMSwallow, you are an awesome chap. That is all...

Oh. Thank you. I just do my best and try to live it down...

Also? Speaking as someone who has been an interviewer and an interviewee throughout his career, if people ask you the same questions, you tend to supply the same answers.

Jerion
22nd Oct 2010, 09:40
Oh. Thank you. I just do my best and try to live it down...

Also? Speaking as someone who has both been an interviewer and an interviewee throughout his career, if people ask you the same questions, you tend to supply the same answers.

That's just gotta be irritating, being asked the same qutions over and over, nobody wanting to get original!

Irate_Iguana
22nd Oct 2010, 09:46
That's just gotta be irritating, being asked the same qutions over and over, nobody wanting to get original!

This is something that irritates me about "game journalists". They never even attempt to ask any follow-up questions. They just stick to their own little script. In fact, they even go the opposite way. They tend to provide escape answers for the interviewee. You'll never see one grab hold of a slip-up and try to go the extra distance.

JMSwallow
22nd Oct 2010, 10:28
FYI, I've just been informed that the full version of my interview with GamespotUK is now up on the UK XBox Live feed, on the 'Inside XBox' channel.

Pinky_Powers
22nd Oct 2010, 17:28
FYI, I've just been informed that the full version of my interview with GamespotUK is now up on the UK XBox Live feed, on the 'Inside XBox' channel.

That's about as depressing as things can possibly get. :hmm:

Since when does the full and glorious Net take a backseat to XBox live?

:(

IdiotInAJeep
22nd Oct 2010, 23:43
Since microsoft started tipping off games journalists.

AlexOfSpades
22nd Oct 2010, 23:46
Disgusting.

OwlSolar
23rd Oct 2010, 04:25
Sickening.

Kodaemon
23rd Oct 2010, 04:29
Atrocious.

jtr7
23rd Oct 2010, 04:31
Exclusionary exclusives. Nothing new. Now we do the usual waiting for someone else on the inside to pass the information along to the rest of us, and hope it's never considered piracy to do so.

IdiotInAJeep
23rd Oct 2010, 08:34
Desperate.

FrankCSIS
23rd Oct 2010, 19:23
Also? Speaking as someone who has been an interviewer and an interviewee throughout his career, if people ask you the same questions, you tend to supply the same answers.

There's a way around this, though. Devblog. Cut the pointless question-asking middleman.

It could've been magic. It could've been love.

Irate_Iguana
23rd Oct 2010, 19:25
There's a way around this, though. Devblog. Cut the pointless question-asking middleman.

It could've been magic. It could've been love.

Or they could, you know, answer our questions that have been conveniently gathered into a single thread. Just throwing it out there.

FrankCSIS
23rd Oct 2010, 19:33
How simplistic.

I speak of Truth and Beauty, you come forward with the down to Earth and the evident.

PS: Yeah, what the iguana said.
PPS: I like to think you're a small Iguana, typing away on your tiny keyboard, casually sipping a martini.