PDA

View Full Version : Choice to Upgrade/ Augment

LeMoN_LiMe
14th Oct 2010, 06:30
In the earlier IGN review of the game (yes I AM to lazy to post a link) the developer dude stated that the player would have the choice not to upgrade/ augment Adam at all. I mean obviously you could do that in the original deus ex and almost any RPG today by way of simply not using your skill points. But this of course did not effect the story in any way.

Now since the game is centered around the moral aspect of augmentations and things of that sort, the question is whether or not the game will "pick up" on you choosing not to augment Adam and have the story change/ adapt around that? Love to know whether or not that would happen because that would just be sick beyond all belief! :D

DOWN WITH LINEAR GAMEPLAY!!!!

NKD
14th Oct 2010, 06:37
That would indeed be cool, but really since Adam already has significant baseline and visually obvious augmentations, it would be hard for him to really take any hard line against augmentation. Characters who just see him on the street won't know what he's got "under the hood." They'll just see a guy who's an obvious mech, and treat him as such.

I think it would be somewhat difficult to work in any reaction to his augmentations by the various NPCs. But it would definitely be a great addition to the game if characters reacted to Adam's level of augmentation.

Though I get the feeling it's just going to be something you can technically do if youw ant, rather than something that has its own support within the story and game mechanics.

pringlepower
14th Oct 2010, 07:34
That would indeed be cool, but really since Adam already has significant baseline and visually obvious augmentations, it would be hard for him to really take any hard line against augmentation. Characters who just see him on the street won't know what he's got "under the hood." They'll just see a guy who's an obvious mech, and treat him as such.

I think it would be somewhat difficult to work in any reaction to his augmentations by the various NPCs. But it would definitely be a great addition to the game if characters reacted to Adam's level of augmentation.

Though I get the feeling it's just going to be something you can technically do if youw ant, rather than something that has its own support within the story and game mechanics.

Well if it's just a personal moral issue, then Adam, or the player could be against getting more augmentations (or practically, using that money to buy better gun parts), e.g., chopping off legs, ears, spleens, etc. Since the game now works using an experience system for augs, there's no moral issue with making your arms super awesome, and possibly your eyes and cranium, assuming those are part of Adam's package as well.

rokstrombo
14th Oct 2010, 09:35
I think these possibilities should be reflected in the story somehow, because if Adam has the scope to take a radically negative opinion of human augmentation he may reasonably refuse to undergo further changes. It would also be a fitting reward for players who manage to play through the entire game without the advantages provided by augmentation upgrades.

Irate_Iguana
14th Oct 2010, 10:03
Adam has at least completely mechanical arms, mechanical eyes, implanted sun glasses and a large plate in his head. He is way past being a normal person. He has permanently lost his humanity and it is plain for all to see. Even if he were to never install another augmentation again there is no way that he can fit in with the people against augmentations. Clinging desperately to the last vestiges of humanity or foregoing them are pretty much the same in his situation. The treatment he will receive will be the same. Hell, he can't even really be against them since they are all that's keeping him alive. The choice Adam would have faced if he would have been given the option would have been much more difficult than the same choice given to JC or Alex.

Deltaslayer
14th Oct 2010, 10:16
I want the tentacle legs! :(

Ashpolt
14th Oct 2010, 10:19
One thing that's just occurred to me: We've only seen Adam with the default augmentations so far - arms, eyes, sunglasses. I wonder how different a fully aug'd-up Adam will look? Will we be able to get him looking like Barrett by the end of the game if we so choose?

Come to think of it, has it even been confirmed that his augs will be represented visually on his character model? I know we've all assumed this would be the case, but have EM actually said so?

Mindmute
14th Oct 2010, 10:26
Since one of the pillars of the story is apparently how some people are scared/against mechanical augmentation, I hope to see some distinct reaction and difference in the social interactions after some of the more "fantastic-looking" augs have been installed.
Even if he has that coat to hide most of them, that part of the story will feel shallow to me if I don't feel the consequences of the social unrest aswell. It'd feel like "people are firmly against augs, but not against yours. Your special".

Pinky_Powers
14th Oct 2010, 11:05
One thing that's just occurred to me: We've only seen Adam with the default augmentations so far - arms, eyes, sunglasses. I wonder how different a fully aug'd-up Adam will look? Will we be able to get him looking like Barrett by the end of the game if we so choose?

Come to think of it, has it even been confirmed that his augs will be represented visually on his character model? I know we've all assumed this would be the case, but have EM actually said so?

I remember some of the early explanations for why the game had so much third-person was to show the player how his choices changed the character physically. So I expect to see some serious Augs along the way.
I'm talking about really old interviews here, so don't expect me to find any links. ;)

LeMoN_LiMe
14th Oct 2010, 15:29
Well I remember reading in the plot description that Adam didnt have a choice in recieving his augmentations. So, it is definitely possible that Alex would be firmly against getting any furthur upgrades.

I mean if NPC's reactions changed given the amount of augmentations you had, that would be worth 2-3 more playthroughs right there! :D

Blade_hunter
14th Oct 2010, 18:07
I remember some of the early explanations for why the game had so much third-person was to show the player how his choices changed the character physically. So I expect to see some serious Augs along the way.
I'm talking about really old interviews here, so don't expect me to find any links. ;)

Pinky, the character won't change much, the third person was only made because they wanted to see the character more often on screen.
As for customization it will be very light on adam himself, even the developers said that they wanted a very iconic character.
So the customization on Adam won't be heavy.

Pinky_Powers
14th Oct 2010, 18:14
I was referring strictly to Augmentations, and how they might affect the look of the character.

Blade_hunter
14th Oct 2010, 18:26
Even in therms of augmentations Adam won't change that much. the most recent interviews says that Adam will stay almost the same, even if somethings would affect his own appearance.

Pinky_Powers
14th Oct 2010, 18:32
Yes, I don't really believe he'll mutate to any harsh degree.

rokstrombo
15th Oct 2010, 01:32
Adam has at least completely mechanical arms, mechanical eyes, implanted sun glasses and a large plate in his head. He is way past being a normal person. He has permanently lost his humanity and it is plain for all to see. Even if he were to never install another augmentation again there is no way that he can fit in with the people against augmentations. Clinging desperately to the last vestiges of humanity or foregoing them are pretty much the same in his situation. The treatment he will receive will be the same. Hell, he can't even really be against them since they are all that's keeping him alive. The choice Adam would have faced if he would have been given the option would have been much more difficult than the same choice given to JC or Alex.

I think it's arguable that augmentation does not diminish humanity, despite how someone may feel after being involuntarily modified. Prosthetic limbs, bionic eyes, HUDs, and skeletal replacements exist today. Would you say that someone who takes advantage of this technology would be more or less than human? I think this will be one of the issues explored by the game, and I hope the game will be able to reflect a variety of players' choices.

I disagree that a decision by Adam to avoid further augmentation is irrelevant because of how he would be treated by others. However others value and define Adam's remaining humanity, Adam may hold a different opinion. These last vestiges of humanity could mean everything to him.

Additionally, doesn't Adam have the right to die if he is unwilling to accept the consequences of otherwise unavoidable augmentation?

pringlepower
15th Oct 2010, 02:13
Additionally, doesn't Adam have the right to die if he is unwilling to accept the consequences of otherwise unavoidable augmentation?

The player could kill Adam and leave him that way. But that's $50 for a brand new game down the drain.

Tverdyj
15th Oct 2010, 02:50
that's the one choice that probably won't fit the continuity well either... :lol:

AlexOfSpades
15th Oct 2010, 14:49
The player could kill Adam and leave him that way. But that's $50 for a brand new game down the drain.

This reminds me of ... (www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G0HX7cJoUk)

Ninjerk
15th Oct 2010, 20:20

Talk about choice and consequence...