PDA

View Full Version : Medal of Honor sucks.

One of Seven
12th Oct 2010, 12:54
So I got it at midnight, and couldn't wait to tap into singleplayer. I was greeted with bad AI, bugs requiring me to load previous checkpoints, and AI glitching through walls. Why they would release a game with that quality is beyond me, it's multiplayer IS fun, but I have Bad Company 2. Shame the game's singleplayer sucks seeing as how that's what they advertised the most. Guess who's returning it.

JackGordon
12th Oct 2010, 13:55
Honestly, did you really expect a great game? MoH looks so ******* generic.

All war games are rubbish imo. MoH is just another one to add to the big pile.

One of Seven
12th Oct 2010, 16:44
I did, it's beta was fun and I expected the single player to live up to it's hype.

JackGordon
12th Oct 2010, 16:58
I can't blame you for wanting the single player to live up to the hype; I wanted the same for K&L2...

Brackstone17
12th Oct 2010, 20:08
I'm not too surprised. The game just looked so generic, so uninspired that I sort of figured it just wouldn't do well. I think it's a pretty obvious cash grab since modern day military shooters are the big thing these days.

Does the singleplayer have a plot or any recurring characters? From everything I've seen, it's just been random nameless bearded guys shooting people in the desert.

UhUh
12th Oct 2010, 20:31
From everything I've seen, it's just been random nameless bearded guys shooting people in the desert.

I was under the impression that you couldn't play as a taliban... :D

BeardedHoplite
12th Oct 2010, 22:06
Meh, the last good MoH game was Underground. Anyone else think the version of the Unreal Engine EA used looked oddly cartoony?

joe the janitor
12th Oct 2010, 23:11
I hated the beta, so I didn't really expect much from the full game.

One of Seven
12th Oct 2010, 23:27
I'm not too surprised. The game just looked so generic, so uninspired that I sort of figured it just wouldn't do well. I think it's a pretty obvious cash grab since modern day military shooters are the big thing these days.

Does the singleplayer have a plot or any recurring characters? From everything I've seen, it's just been random nameless bearded guys shooting people in the desert.

That's pretty much what it is, the game has TONS of bugs and really bad AI, if you guys really want, I can make a list of the stupid ***** that happened while I played the game.

ohitspatty
12th Oct 2010, 23:34
I actually had hope. I loved the old Medal of Honor games for PS1...

One of Seven
13th Oct 2010, 09:45
That and I liked Airborne real well, haha I don't know what happened here.

Bevacur
13th Oct 2010, 10:42
Anything that tries to copy CoD fails. Bad Company in my opinion is ****.

No wonder the campaign sucked, they spent the majority of dev time on multiplayer.

One of Seven
13th Oct 2010, 10:50
Bad Company 1 blew dogs for quarters, but I absolutely love number 2. See that's what I don't understand, the MP and SP were developed by different companies, it's weird and really does effect the quality of the game.

MxOAgentJohnson
14th Oct 2010, 17:47
Is it safe to say another one bites the dust.

havent played it yet, but didnt have high hopes for it.

i have high hopes for bad company 2 vietnam expansion, mainly cause its the spiritual predecessor to my favourite battlefield game.

GrievousOdyssey
15th Oct 2010, 00:18
Simple , i'll wait t'ill next summer or whenever i can get it cheaply , and buy the PS3 limited edition ...

For it comes with Frontline , remastered with trophies ...

That way i can pretend to myself that Frontline is the Main Game , and the new afghan campaign as the 'bonus' game , instead of the correct opposite ...

Nevertheless i'm very disappointed with the reviews on this new Medal of Honor , because ... well ... IT'S MEDAL OF HONOR ! The Return ! The Reboot ! The new entry to the franchise with no subtitles ! ...
I mean they could have easily call it "Medal of Honor: Tier-1" or "Medal of Honor: Afghan Days" ... but no , they just call it "Medal of Honor" , it's big , it's marvelous ...

It was supposed to be 'marvelous' , anywya ...
Instead it's a four hour single player campaign bolted on a multiplayer experience ... ... ... sounds quite familiar ... in these days ...

Anywya , might as well go buy Airborne too , make it all look a bit longer that way ...

MxOAgentJohnson
15th Oct 2010, 07:45
Wow, medal of honor afghan days, why did i laugh so ******* much?

GrievousOdyssey
15th Oct 2010, 16:40
Because you caught the joke ! ...

SlashPrower
15th Oct 2010, 16:51
All I know about Medal of Honor is that the protagonist looks like Lynch after really growing out his beard.

Kent-45
15th Oct 2010, 17:43
Medal of Honor feels just like every other generic nondescript Modern Warfare-style shooter out there. It brings absolutely nothing new to the table. The inclusion of the taliban doesn't make the game feel anymore realistic... but just show how desperate the developers are to bring people in with something "edgy" and "controversial"

and what's with this surge of unreal engine games? Seems like every game I come across uses the unreal engine these days.

One of Seven
15th Oct 2010, 18:54
Noticed that too Kent.

MxOAgentJohnson
15th Oct 2010, 20:56
Mainly because unreal engine got some massive changes to it, whilst retaining unreal engine 3 status.

also unreal engine 3 became free with UNreal Development Kit, it allows companys to sell there games on pc only unless they buy unreal engine 3 status to sell on consoles

Thats why your seeing a surge in unreal engine games. because they improved a lot on it

GrievousOdyssey
9th Nov 2010, 02:29
Medal of Honor sells 1.5 million in five days (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=270607)

Medal of Honor 2010 review scores hit 76 Metacritic average (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=269581)

Medal of Honor sold 2M in two weeks (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=273386)

EA: Medal of Honor 'a franchise now, once again' (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=273422)

Meanwhile there was this danish game that also had a five hour campaign (but without bugs and freezes) and also online multiplayer that wasn't all too different that its predecesor ...
Yet for some reason , that danish game got a 63 on metacritic , and probably barely sold a million copies , what kind of discrimination is this ? ...

What , just because it's called "Hobo Furies 2: Soup all over the floor" ? ...

I mean jesus , even Medal of Honor managed to garner a **** load of controversies with The Name of a multiplayer character skin , whereas the horror that'll stick to you in Hobo Furies 2 ... are greeted by a dusty cloud ...

**** it , when's that rocket launching to Mars again ? ...

ohitspatty
9th Nov 2010, 03:05
http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/8686/afghandog.jpg

GrievousOdyssey
9th Nov 2010, 03:18
What is it with people who replies to a joke about a month later ...

I was under the impression that we always read Everything that gets posted on this forum ...

ohitspatty
9th Nov 2010, 03:28
...fashionably late, as always on time.

"They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time."

GrievousOdyssey
20th Nov 2010, 00:55
Simple , i'll wait t'ill next summer or whenever i can get it cheaply , and buy the PS3 limited edition ...

For it comes with Frontline , remastered with trophies ...

Might as well go buy Airborne too , make it all look a bit longer that way ...

Well now i've done it , just bought both of them ...

I've bought them reasonably cheap too , especially the Tier-1 edition , i don't think i've spent more than sixty bucks on them ...

Sixty bucks for three games ... twenty each ... each lasts for seven hours , with potentially minimum replay ...

MY GOD ! I've been had !!! ...

Nah just kidding , i've done a lot worst ...

I'm not even thinking of that Danish game ...

ohitspatty
20th Nov 2010, 01:35
That's pretty good deal.

Now it's trophies times.

GrievousOdyssey
20th Nov 2010, 18:06
But but but but buuuuuuuuuu ...

Airborne doesn't have trophies ...

And and and and and i've said i was going to stop playing games on hard modes ... ... ...

But the trophies ...

THEY'RE CALLING ...

Bevacur
21st Nov 2010, 12:18
If there was an actual purpose for achievements, then i might start collecting them. But for now.... FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU

GrievousOdyssey
21st Nov 2010, 14:44
Trophies/Achievements represents the meaning of our lives , fool ! ...

GrievousOdyssey
6th Dec 2010, 02:50
Medal of Honor: Afghan Days ...

(hey it's true , the game also takes place during two days and night) ...

First the negative **** ...

I was somewhat disappointed by the graphics ...
First of i expected the game to use the Frosbyte engine , turns out since it's Dice's property , it's only used for the mutliplayer portion , of which i'm not going to play ...
The graphic engine used by Danger Close , yet another modified version of Unreal 3 , isn't exaclty bad , but it reminds me of the one used by them polish developpers who made Call of Juarez , meaning the levels are huge , the vastness of the landscape is a brilliant sight to look at ... but for the most part the stuff you see up close is just muddy , blurry , and the texture takes some time to load up ...
Playing this game back to back with Modern Warfare 2 (2009) and even Airborn (2007) , well , the embarassement is unavoidable ...

Also , i was particularly excited for 'one' sequence used in one of the trailers , showing soldiers running furiously for a long strench with the camera trying to keep up with the fast pace ... well this scene was in the game alright , but as a cinematic (in fact , quite a lot of them 'impressive' stuff one may see in the trailers comes not from in-game , but with pre-rendered footage) ...
Ah yes , the graphics used in the cinematics are most impressive , and this is an age where usual cinematics are mostly done in-game , and ... it felt nice seeing pre-rendered high def cinematics for a change ... ... wished the whole game could have looked that way , though ...

Now what other negative **** do i have to say ...

That's about it , really , just the graphics that disappointed me ... that and the amateurish trophy list (the ones that gives you sometimes two trophies just for completing One level , you know the kind) ...
And I don't think the short length is even worth mentioning anymore in these days , so ...

(now that i think of it , why do i absolutely need to connect myself to the PSN to play the Tier-1 mode ? can't i load my score to the leaderboards later ? ... and what of people with no internet connection ? them poor lads) ...

On to the positive **** ...

The Audio , sound design and mixing , notable for the weapons/explosions sound effects ... GODLY ...
You just have to experience it yourself , can't possibly describe the greatness of it ...
It is unlike the Call of Duties where the sound is both loud and sometimes even unbarable , here it's loud And crisp clear , sometimes even elegant ...

The music suits the game well , though it doesn't manage to hold an identity on its own , which is a bit of a pity ...
The problem also lies with the fact that you don't really 'notices' that there is an original score playing in the background , and while i know this quality may differ between people's opinion (some says that music that you don't 'notice' is better , while others says no) , i just think that more could have been done to make it more memorable ...
(oh , and don't get me started on that song that plays during the end credits , it came out of nowhere) ...

The voice acting isn't bad , but you might not give much care to it , why ? ... because while the dialogs does a the job well in putting you 'into' the situation , making it coherent with the ambiance ... the dialogs itself is mostly made of 'soldier talks' ... so while the realism of it might get instant praises , for the average people however , it's just a bunch of incomprehensible vocabularies ...
You won't get confused as to what is going on , but you may wish that you'll 'know' a bit more in what they're actually saying ...
Oh well , the internet holds all explanations i'm sure ...

Speaking of dialogs , how about the story ? ...
Well believe it or not , the game doesn't really have a 'story' , it's more like a mix of five different sub-plots , combining themselves into a half baked main plot ... then again maybe that's not the point , maybe the point of the game was just to give us an insight of these men and women fighting in Afghanistan , nothing more , just some patriotic stuff (that ironically gets banned in the Army Stores) ...

I remember reading the reviews where people shows disappointment in the game's cliffhanger ending , i have to , once again , disagree ...
This was not a cliffhanger ending , it may look like one , but it's not like they choped it off after the second act , no , the story that was being told was over ...
Then again , like i said , this game doesn't have a real 'story' , so how could there be any cliffhangers ? ...

(As a side note , there wasn't enough missions with the 'beardy guy' , the one on the game's cover ...
why is he on the game's cover anywya if he's more like a cameo than a real supporting character ? ...
anywya , he does make the game's box art one of the best of the year ...

BEARDY !) ...

Gameplay wise it's fine , it's still a 'video game' , not a 100% authentic simulation , and i suppose that's where people felt disappointed ...
For indeed the game's marketing bragged on and on about the close work with real soldiers' experiences and so forth , but then it still turned out to be a easy to play type of game ...
Let's just say that to some , it was too simplistic ...

Otherwise i remember that i had fun with it ...
Yes there were some pacing issues , but i didn't hate it (or maybe it has something to do with my FPS retrospective , and the pacing of this game acts as a nice 'break' from the constant bombardement of infinite enemy spawnings) ...
There's also an issue in the fact that game was too easy (excluding Tier-1 mode , of which offers No Checkpoint , witch is a ***** for at least two levels) ... but other than that , it's alright ...

As a side note , considering how every mission puts you along with at least one partner , up to three partners , it's weird how they never made the campaign for Co-Op ...
This sort of reminds me of Killzone 2 ... anywya ...

Now i've noticed that so far i still haven't said anything that counters the statement that this game "sucks" asside from the fact that i enjoyed playing it (which can be justified that i have a abominable taste in gaming , or that i had a good bargain for the price i paid , since the Tier-1 edition i bought came with a remaster edition of the 2001 game Frontline , which incidentaly is in my opinion , the game of the year of 2010 , due to a simple lack of better games out there) ...
And , yes , maybe we can best sum up that since not only did Afghan Days brought nothing 'new' to the industry , it also failed to do something 'perfect' on its own (asside from the sound design and quality cinematics) , and thus , it "sucks" ...

But i still find myself compelled to disagree ...

Alright , it's not a game worth the full price tag (talking about the single player only , online modes is not of my concern) but it's not a bad game either ... it's just ... a game ...
It 'sucks' that as a reboot of the franchise it failed to impress us a bit more than this , and i agree on this point , but to say that this game "sucks" is ... unfair ... ... sort of ...
Considering how there are still waves of uglier games out there , it just isn't fair to put Afghan Days into the same basket ...

It's not a game i would recommend , but it's not one i will tell everyone to avoid either , and no , it's not even a game like the Kane & Lynches where i would say it's reserved for a small audience ... ... ... i guess it's the type of games people refers to as a 'rental' (me personally i never rent or sell games , so excuse me on this department) ...

Ah , and i think i should point out that asside from the graphic textures taking a bit of time to load up in each level , i Have Not encountered any bugs or glitches that causes me to restart checkpoints or any kind , so asside from the graphical departement i had a very smooth ride ...

Anywya , what more can i say ...
Ah well i can compare it to other games , well in that case ...

I prefer Afghan Days than ... Infinity Ward's Modern Warfare (2007) ...
However i prefer Airborne (also from 2007) than Afghan Days ...

Oh what the hell , me and my tastes in gaming ...

And in closing a pro and con selection ...

Disliked the ...
- Uneven graphics compared to the crisp clear cinematics ...
- The fact that the game remains on the same 'level' of tension and pacing for the most part ...
- Despite the fact that the game is mostly repetitive , You still wish there were 'more' of it ... weird isn't it ...

Applauded the ...
- Sound mixing and editing ...
- The cinematics are well delivered , despite not having a concrete plot ...
- The handling of the direction , especially during a few sequences ...

Indeed , i forgot to mention that overall , the game's direction is actually quite remarkable , sounds paradoxal for a game that suffers from some uneven pacing , but once you play it you'll notice that ... it is 'well told' ...
It's like one of them movies that somewhat bores you because the story never moves on , but you nevertheless find yourself watching it because it is well directed , acted , and that generally it's not a bore to look at ...

And now Time for spoilers ...
(which most of you can read anywya since i doubt you'll be buying the game) ...

Whether it's the intro cinematic , or 'how' the second level begins (the screen was black with voice overs , and then ... BAM , cut to the speeding vehicle chase) this game does have memorable moments , here's the two highlights i wish to gush my excitement about ...

If you've read the reviews you've probably already heard of a sequence when you and your squad are pinned down in a small hut that slowly loses every bits of cover it has with enemies all over a mountain said shooting at you while you await for help ... Any help ...
The desperation for this need of emergency evac is outstanding , it's not just the fact that you don't want to die and restart the whole checkpoint , it's not like in Call of Duties when you just beg for a chekcpoint to pop up or when you just pray that the enemies would just stop spawning and throwing cheap kills at you , no ... in this sequence ... it's just that , quite simply , you feel vulnerable ...

This is something that i never once felt in IO's Dog Days , being vulnerable , and yet it should have been one of the main themes of the game ... and , when i least expected in a 'war game' , i got it slamed right in front of me , vulnerability ... ... whoa ...

And the other highlight moment i wish to express my amazement of it is the handling on the fate of one of the protagonist ...

Seemingly mandatory ever since Modern Warfare came out , death has to be the fate for your faceless protagonist , especially when you play as multiple character in one game ... and so , one of the boys in Afghan Days bites the bullet ...

But unlike in other games where the death of the playable character usually relies to 'sudden surprise' and other nonsensical unexpected plot twists ... Afghan Days , quite literally , Takes Its Time to show the death of one the playable characters ...
Right from the beginning of the concerned level , you can see and even feel that the guy isn't going to make it , and by the time this level ends , you know , you just Have to know that he's going to die ...

Ah but yes , he doesn't die just there yet , the narrative toys with our expectations , making us believe that the boy is going to survive ... but hope fails ...

And then comes the end of the game , after the trophies stops poping up the screen and disturbing the ambiance (three for completing the game , plus one for completing it on hard difficulty) , the fate of this boy is shown , and it last for probably a good two minutes ...

This is when you , as a player , realizes that it's not the death of this character that matters anymore , because you already knew for a long time that he isn't going to make it ... so why does it still drag on ? why is it so dramatic ? why won't he just die in twelve seconds like in other games ? ...
Because ... it's bigger than that ... it's the Other characters in the game who are the ones who are hoping that the boy doesn't close his eyes for good ...

Yes ... this , in my opinion , is Big ...

In the games that i played where the playable character dies , the emotion usually just comes out from the player himself , and usually alone , as the other in-game characters might just express a few words of sorrow or a few cheap grievances ... but that's about it ... the Main source of emotion usually came out from the player alone ...

In Afghan Days however , it's the other way around , in fact , it's possible that the player himself might not give a damn that the boy dies , and know what ? it doesn't matter ... because the emotion in this game , came from the other in-game characters ...
Afterall , within the game's universe , they knew the boy a lot better and longer than we do , so it's only natural that so much grief from them came out during these long minutes ... the boy is dying , we know it , and the other characters probably knows it too , but they don't want the boy to die , they care for him ...

These are ... video game NPCs ... giving a **** , and Really giving a **** to the well-being of a playable character ...

The idea , and the execution of this idea , was marvelous in this game ...

So you see , this is why i can't say that Afghan Days sucks ...
There are things that are just done 'right' in this game , things that are not easy , and rare to find in other games ... so , yes , it does actually bring something new to the table *Grievous making a not so subtle defiance to Kent's month old statement* , within the close and narrow pacing comes a new sense of direction ...
And this is what's lacking on the game industry table , a good direction , neither exagerrating some originality or bombarding strong themes , just something 'natural' ... and Afghan days did it ...

Hopefully , either Danger Close makes a improvement graphic and gameplay wise for the sequel , or other game developers should take notice (this includes IO) , because Afghan Days does hold some genius in its cinematic delivery ...

It shouldn't be gone to waste ...

The game ends indeed with the line "it's not over yet" , but it's not your Modern Warfare cliffhanger , the line is a response from one character over to another when he says "This isn't how it ends" when he looks at the boy's corpse , it means quite litterally that there are things that shouldn't be left as waste and then move on as if nothing happened ... and ... it can be interpreted from the game and its developers standpoint ...

"This" , the game's negative reception , shouldn't be the end of its potential ...

And indeed , it's not over yet ... we'll have more marvelous cinematic delivery in gaming ...

We Must have it ...

Anywya , who knows , maybe in a few weeks i'll be playing Black Ops and then i'll be laughing at Afghan Days ...

Who knows ...

IMPYEMU
6th Dec 2010, 21:53
Jesus Christ.

GrievousOdyssey
6th Dec 2010, 23:26
Whoa , did the Grievous-style-rambling-review for Afghan Days amazed you so much that you're going to buy the game and love it as much as i did ? ...

We've got a winner !!! ...

IMPYEMU
6th Dec 2010, 23:37
Whoa , did the Grievous-style-rambling-review for Afghan Days amazed you so much that you're going to buy the game and love it as much as i did ? ...

We've got a winner !!! ...

Honestly, I predicted that game would be such a Cliche, boring, unoriginal, uninspiring, derivative, Call of Duty/Battlefield copying, lame, completely piss-poor, retarted, not-even-worth-renting, not-worth-$60.00-ing, Satanic worshipping, pretentious, military-jargon infused, wouldn't-play-for-freeing, worse-than-SAW-the-video-game-ing waste of time, matter, and attention.

And judging from what I've seen, I could not have been more accurate :o

GrievousOdyssey
6th Dec 2010, 23:42
Man i still can't believe you call it uninspiring and unoriginal ...

This game contains pure gem ! we just have to be patient with it ! ...

JackGordon
7th Dec 2010, 00:04
satanic worshippinghail satan!

GrievousOdyssey
7th Dec 2010, 00:06
But he's gay ! ...

IMPYEMU
7th Dec 2010, 00:14
I just hate most Military First Person Shooters is all, I can stand Call of Duty every once in a while, but Black Ops? Man, I didn't even bother with that.

JackGordon
7th Dec 2010, 00:17
I just hate most Military First Person Shooters is allSeconded. Again. Damn it.

GrievousOdyssey
7th Dec 2010, 00:37
What is it with you people ? you just kill people anywya in video games ...

Military shooters just use its supposedly 'seriousness' as an excuse to unleash outrageous situations , and since the game industry is so tight assed that it doesn't know that it's actually fun to unleash outrageous/non-realistic moments , the only outrageous games we've got are the recent Call of Duties ...

I mean damn , look at Grand Theft Auto IV , and then look back at San Andreas ...

Damn ! What the **** happened !! ...

IMPYEMU
7th Dec 2010, 00:41
What is it with you people ? you just kill people anywya in video games ...

Military shooters just use its supposedly 'seriousness' as an excuse to unleash outrageous situations , and since the game industry is so tight assed that it doesn't know that it's actually fun to unleash outrageous/non-realistic moments , the only outrageous games we've got are the recent Call of Duties ...

I mean damn , look at Grand Theft Auto IV , and then look back at San Andreas ...

Damn ! What the **** happened !! ...

Military shooters are just boring, there Stories are boring, their dialogues are boring, there locations, beautiful as they may be, are more or less boring, they're B-O-R-I-N-G and OVERRATED.

They lack creativity and originality. They are dull. Call of Duty has it's moments here & there, but everything else, Medal of Honor especially Grievous, is *whispers* ...boring...

The worst Kane & Lynch game is more likely better than the so-called "best" Military FPS of any year in which they both come out.

GrievousOdyssey
7th Dec 2010, 00:49
Actually i think i would have agreed with you a few months back , but as you might have noticed , in the midst of my FPS craze , i see nothing but outrageous action and explosions , and i feel somewhat happy in life ...

Oh lord , once this FPS addiction is over i'm going to start lamenting again , oh lord , OH LORD ...

BeardedHoplite
7th Dec 2010, 03:21
BEARDY !) ...

Oh, did you call me?

GrievousOdyssey
7th Dec 2010, 18:01
GET OVER HERE ! ...

*jumps foward sky high , in slow motion* ...

*prepares to give big manly hug , and kisses* ...

BeardedHoplite
7th Dec 2010, 21:49
*prepares to give big manly hug , and kisses* ...

Step any closer and Mr. Slug will get to colonize your head. Man, I gotta stop reading Pulp.

GrievousOdyssey
8th Dec 2010, 00:05
Either that or I have to stop wanting to hug people ...

JackGordon
8th Dec 2010, 00:13
I wouldn't even let you get close to me, lad.

GrievousOdyssey
8th Dec 2010, 00:25
You know that by saying that you just gave me no reason to live anymore ...

How could you ...