PDA

View Full Version : Horror Stuff

Brackstone17
10th Oct 2010, 18:32
So that special time of year is approaching, and we really need to get away from nonsense topics, so how about we discuss our favourite horror films, games and books. I'm thinking we just put down legitimate horror stuff, otherwise we'll get into the position where things like Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein appear alongside The Descent. I'll do mine in list form since it's easier, you guys can just say whatever you want on the subject.

Top 5 Horror Films in no particular order
28 Days Later
The Thing
Dracula (Bella Lugosi)
The Wolf Man
Creature from the Black Lagoon

Top 5 horror movies since 2000 in no particular order
28 Days Later
The Host
Cloverfield
The Mist
28 Weeks Later

Top 5 horror games in no particular order
Silent Hill 2
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
Dead Space
Penumbra
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl

Top 5 Books, Poems and Short Stories in no particular order
The Temple
Dagon
The Music of Eric Zann
The Call of Cthulhu
The Raven

JackGordon
10th Oct 2010, 18:52
* Top horror flicks:
The Best: AlienĀ³ - Assembly Cut
The Rest (in no particular order):

The Blair Witch Project
Jacob's Ladder
The Descent
The Shining
The Exorcism of Emily Rose
28 Days Later
Halloween
Coraline

This list could go on and on...

* Top Horror Games:
The Best: Silent Hill 2 - Inner Fears
The Rest (in no particular order):

Alan Wake
Silent Hill
REmake
Code: Veronica
Condemed
Bioshock
F.E.A.R.
Rule of Rose
Haunting Ground

Also this list could go on and on...

Best horror poetry I own is Les Fleurs du Mal by Charles Baudelaire.

Kent-45
10th Oct 2010, 20:02
I love Halloween. Definitely my favorite holiday, hands-down. It's got the best horror marathons on TV, and for a horror junky like myself... it's like our version of christmas.

and wow Brackstone... I can tell you liked 28 Days Later... a lot... for that, you have earned my eternal respect as a fellow horror fan.

Top 10 Horror Films in no particular order

1. Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Big budget, very well filmed, and over-the-top. This is one of those rare zombie films where the directors actually listened to the fans for a good deal of the process. The result is one of the best zombie remakes of all time (in my opinion). It's got everything... gore, guns, and a zombie baby... what more do you need?

2. Quarantine (2009)

This film I saw in the theater with a bunch of friends, at a midnight showing... and it was like a literal roller coaster ride. The film builds up, becoming more tense until finally plunging you into a mad zombie filled dash. Filmed in the style of Cloverfield and Blair Witch Project, this is a must-see for horror fans. When "zombie grandma" jumped up screeching, and the main character axed her in the face... the entire theater cheered. It's that kind of movie. When we left the theater, we all had to take a few moments to really grasp what we had seen.

3. Funny Games (2007)

Saw this on the IFC channel a few years ago and never really gave it a second look. Only after seeing it a second time, I realized how disturbing this film is. What we see here is really a look into human cruelty. Normal folks will probably just get offended and walk away.

4. Let The Right One In (2008)

Vampires done right. This revolves around a young boy who is being bullied at school. Being somewhat of an outcast himself, he befriends this eery young girl and they become friends. As you can guess...this girl isn't all that she seems. Very creepy, very gory, and a very awesome throwback to traditional vampire lore. Probably one of the best vampire flicks I've seen in a LONG time.

5. The Crazies (2010)

Just like the Dawn of the Dead remake, someone took Romero's idea and did it right. Lots of creepy scenes as an infection takes hold of a small town driving people insane. The entire movie manages to stay tense the entire way through. All the acting is pretty good too. Big budget horror remake.

6. American Psycho (2000)

Probably one of the best "horror" movies of all time, coming from an equally disturbing book by Brett Easton Ellis. Follows Patrick Bateman, a well-to-do wall street yuppie who just happens to be a very sick and twisted serial killer. It's one of those movies you have to see, because it's that good.

7. 28 Weeks Later (2007)
8. 28 Days Later (2002)

Both the 28 Days Later and 28 Weeks Later films were really good. The first is better than the second, obviously... but they both bring a lot of infected zombie gore to the table. 28 Weeks Later is markedly gorier than the first film, with some pretty hard to watch scenes. This is british zombie horror in the vein of the Dawn of the Dead remake - very stylish, very gory, and very awesome.

9. The Collector (2009)

A lot of people are gonna give me crap for this one, but **** it. It's pretty standard slasher horror with the twist. This career criminal decides he's going to rip off a house while the owner is away. After breaking in, he makes a pretty horrific discovery... the owner is insane, and has filled the house with every sort of trap imaginable. It's a good Halloween movie because it's got the scares & gore to keep you entertained for a few hours.

10. Mr. Brooks (2007)

And finally, the big daddy... Mr. Brooks is in the vein of Silence of the Lambs and Red Dragon. This movie pretty much has it all... William Hurt & Kevin Costner really give awesome performances. It's very gory, shocking, and darkly funny at times... it's even got a pretty big twist at the end that even I didn't really see coming. It's a very stylish movie, and it does something that isn't done a lot in these days... it creates a main character that is truly evil. Mr. Brooks is, after all a family man, but at the same time he's a remorseless serial killer. He's an evil man, who runs into some equally evil characters, and the results are awesome.

JackGordon
10th Oct 2010, 20:20
2. Quarantine (2009)Do yourself a favor and watch the original...

One of Seven
10th Oct 2010, 20:21
Mmmm, my top horror films, and in no order.

Dawn of The Dead (1978)
Friday The 13th(1980)
Halloween (1978)
The Shining (1980)
Trick R' Treat (2007)
Event Horizon (1997)
The Crazies (1973)
Motel Hell (1980)
The Evil Dead 1/2 (81/87)
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

Now my top horror games, mmmmm.

Resident Evil 3
REmake
Silent Hill: Homecoming
Call of Cthulu: Dark corners of the Earth (that one would rank high)
Condemned 1
Condemned 2
Dead Space
Doom 3
Alone in The Dark (Yes I like it A LOT, leave me alone)
Finally Dead or Alive: Beach Volleyball.

I can't help but feel we should do another list like this with fantasy games and movies.

Kent-45
10th Oct 2010, 20:27
Do yourself a favor and watch the original...

I've seen both Rec 1 and Rec 2... I thought Quarantine was a bit more intense, but that's just my opinion.

JackGordon
10th Oct 2010, 20:30
Fair enough. And Funny Games (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119167/) (1997)?

One of Seven
10th Oct 2010, 20:36
American one's a remake, pretty much scene for scene.

Kent-45
10th Oct 2010, 20:39
I think I meant 2007.

Brackstone17
10th Oct 2010, 20:51
and wow Brackstone... I can tell you liked 28 Days Later... a lot... for that, you have earned my eternal respect as a fellow horror fan.

However could you guess?

EDIT: I just went out and rented a horror movie I found called Ravenous with Guy Pearce and Robert Carlyle. Anyone seen it?

JackGordon
10th Oct 2010, 21:25
Yes, it's about cannibalism, isn't it? It's been a while since I've seen it.

One of Seven mentioned a good one: Trick 'r Treat (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0862856/). Lovely Halloween flick, I'd recommend it to just about anyone!

Oh and look at what (http://www.alienanthology.com/) I'll be watching on the 31st...

One of Seven
10th Oct 2010, 21:28
I was really suprised by that one, really captured that campy, traditional Halloween feel.

Oh and I know what I'm buying on Blu-Ray soon, be loving me some of dat dere Ridley Scott, of course Cameron's Alien films are great too.

JackGordon
10th Oct 2010, 21:36
I think I'm going to have a heart attack when watching AlienĀ³ - Assembly Cut in HD with my Astro A40 headset...

One of Seven
10th Oct 2010, 21:39
There you go.

GrievousOdyssey
10th Oct 2010, 21:54
Fans of Mr Brooks can jump into my bed anytime ...

*radar detector on the move* ...

That means You , Kenty ...

ohitspatty
11th Oct 2010, 01:08
I like horror films, and I like what I'm seeing here.

All time favorite horror movies;
Jacob's Ladder
Suspiria
Carnival of Souls
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
Funny Games (1997)
The Shining
Audition
Let the Right One In
The Descent

And those are just few off top of my head. I also enjoyed The Collector, Crazies, and Trick 'r Treat...they are just not exactly my favorite.

joe the janitor
11th Oct 2010, 05:43
Wow, no one has mentioned Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Come on! Your being hunted in a castle by monster that seem to randomly spawn. You have to check it out!

Bevacur
11th Oct 2010, 06:53
The Wolfman is jumpy but not scary. You see Golem in it!

I say Drag Me To Hell is scary, really tense when the demon is around. And has some dark humour in it! Cat lovers, don't watch!

Wolf Creek is cool film.

I would not say Cloverfield is a horror, is it a horror?!

There needs to be a new 28 days/weeks/months/years film.

JackGordon
11th Oct 2010, 08:08
Fans of Mr Brooks can jump into my bed anytime ...What are you talking about? You don't have a bed, Grievous. Gheddafeckouddahee.

Wow, no one has mentioned Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Come on! Your being hunted in a castle by monster that seem to randomly spawn. You have to check it out!
Haunting Ground? ;)

And Bevacur, gave Drag Me to Hell a chance a year ago, thought it was highly overrated. In fact, I didn't find it scary at all.
Also, I'd go with Eden Lake instead instead of Wolf Creek. Not the same premise but Eden Lake has a bit more balls.

Brackstone17
11th Oct 2010, 13:52
I would not say Cloverfield is a horror, is it a horror?!
I've always considered horror films to be films primarily meant to scare people. Whether it actually scares you or not is a different matter. That's why I'm including monster movies like the good old Universal ones (Dracula, Creature from the Black Lagoon and the Wolf Man) and Cloverfield, because it's just a different type of horror.

GrievousOdyssey
11th Oct 2010, 15:12
And Bevacur, gave Drag Me to Hell a chance a year ago, thought it was highly overrated. In fact, I didn't find it scary at all.

Maybe not , but that next-to-the-last-shot of film still gives me the hibby jibbies when i think about it ...

Like right now ...

OOOOOH MY FUUUUUCKIIIING GOD ... WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY !!! ...
Her blue dress damnit !!! ...

I've always considered horror films to be films primarily meant to scare people.

I'm putting a placeholder here for a movie starring Bruce Willis and Jamie Foxx then , it's set to come out in a couple of years or so ...
It might just come out in late december 2012 , and the whole world might just come to an end with it ...

Kent-45
11th Oct 2010, 16:32
I really want to see "Let Me In"

http://film-book.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/let-me-in-promotional-poster-1.jpg

Looks amazing... and everyone I've talked to that's seen it, loved it.

Brackstone17
11th Oct 2010, 16:45
I really want to see "Let Me In"

http://film-book.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/let-me-in-promotional-poster-1.jpg

Looks amazing... and everyone I've talked to that's seen it, loved it.
Woah, Hammer Presents? As in Hammer Films? As in "Let's put Christopher Lee in everything" Hammer Films?

JackGordon
11th Oct 2010, 17:24
The guys at Spill were pretty enthousiastic (http://www.spill.com/Movie-Reviews/MovieReview.aspx?Name=Let%20Me%20In&VideoId=471357) about Let Me In...

Kent-45
12th Oct 2010, 22:48
So I just saw "7 Days" a french-canadian horror/thriller that recently came out. This film is basically proof that americans don't have a monopoly on the "torture" genre. Even our canuck friends can be sick and twisted.

Very typical storyline for this sort of thing. The main character (who could win a Gerard Butler look-alike contest) is a doctor, who on an average day, has his daughter kidnapped, raped, and murdered in a field somewhere. This pissed off doctor then spends 7 days torturing this guy. It's psychological horror, mostly. Don't expect Hostel or something like that. It's still very disturbing and very over the top.

I'm not really a fan of the whole "torture" genre, but this film held my interest. It's a lot smarter than your typical movie like this. "normies" or people that are squeamish may want to avoid this though. It's very disturbing, but watchable.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0445054/

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTM3NzU5NjU4Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTI4NDM3Mw@@._V1._SY314_CR4,0,214,314_.jpg

Brackstone17
15th Oct 2010, 23:04
I finally got around to actually watching Ravenous. And it was really, really good. Probably one of my favourite horror films now, even though it isn't exclusively a horror film.