PDA

View Full Version : "you can kill the guy on the door. So that's cool"

parsley
10th Oct 2010, 16:27
"You can kill the guy on the door. So that's cool" is a rough quote from memory from the video (thanks) of the demo given in London recently.

I think the game looks amazing, and it's got support for stealth / violence / giant killer robots etc. :)
But would Warren Spector have thought about it that way? (Not that this has to be Warren Spector's game, or the same as DX1)

I like spectacle. I bought "Transformers"... on Blu-Ray... :whistle:
But I like depth as well.

Has anyone seen enough of the demos to judge how engaging the plot is going to be? Maybe the writers have a different point of view from the guy introducing the demo?

Finally, I'd buy into "cover" better if it had an in-game mechanism as an aug like the spy drone. Otherwise i think it takes away some of the tension. Yeah - this has probably already been thrashed out...

Gordon_Shea
10th Oct 2010, 16:51
To be honest? Yes, I think Warren would have thought that being able to kill the guy guarding the door to Hive or the Police Station or anywhere else was cool. That's one of the things people remember fondly about Deus Ex, being able to kill otherwise nonhostile NPCs and still complete the level's plot, or even seeing it reflected later, like when you off Maggie Chow and instead of making her immortal to preserve sequence it slightly alters the Versalife level (removing her, omitting some infolink messages, etc) to make it 'still work' with the fact that she's dead.

JCpies
10th Oct 2010, 17:13
Fresh parsley please take.

parsley
10th Oct 2010, 17:49
To be honest? Yes, I think Warren would have thought that being able to kill the guy guarding the door to Hive or the Police Station or anywhere else was cool.
Thinking about it there's at least 2 reasons it could be "cool"
(1) as you say, the game's responsive enough to cope well
(2) gratuitous violence is cool

Yeah. I'd only thought of (2) at first as being the speaker's intent (Transformers), but (1) is much better. So that makes me a bit more hopeful.