PDA

View Full Version : Music used in environment of the Deus Ex world

Madvillain
9th Oct 2010, 21:15
I'm not sure if there has ever been a thread here about the music incorporated into the players world, be it a radio, or club, to commercials. I've been lurking these forums on and off for the past few months and havn't really seen anything, so i figure i'd ask.
After the recent screenshots were released, i'm really excited to try this game out, and the first thing that came to my mind was, what's the music going to be like.
Now i think if the music for a game like this is done well enough, it will make the game something extraordinary, because music alone will draw you into the atmosphere of the game as a whole.

The only music i've heard so far was the music for the trailer, which i guess is good for a trailer, but I expect way more in terms of diversity in the game.
When i look at the screenshots, i can't help but think there should be some cool futuristic cyber punk electronica playing in the streets of upper hong kong. The music in Deus Ex was, i think, suiting for the time the game was made, due to technological disadvantages of music making software. But for this new game, I'm expecting there to be funky fresh beats at every corner, that i can groove to and possibly dance(in game) to haha.

If anyone could give me the name of the people making the music of Deus Ex 3, that'd be awesome. I'm really looking forward to this game, and i think it looks fantastic so far. And the idea that i can stack boxes to get ontop of "The Hive" makes me excited that we still got some old school deus ex built into the experience.

Pinky_Powers
9th Oct 2010, 21:38
Here is the gameplay trailer. All the music within this is directly from the game itself.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DeusExOfficial#p/a/u/1/usOUtOBntB4

Jerion
9th Oct 2010, 22:42
Complementing what Pinky said above, Micheal McCann scored Human Revolution.

Facebyface
9th Oct 2010, 22:43
Complementing what Pinky said above, Micheal McCann is scoring Human Revolution.

Fixed there.

Jerion
9th Oct 2010, 22:45
Fixed there.

No, pretty sure the scoring is complete since they're putting lots of focus on bug fixing at this point.

Facebyface
9th Oct 2010, 22:46
No, pretty sure the scoring is complete at this point.

I'd doubt there. I wouldn't put it past them to be holding out until the very final stages of production to add a piece.

Madvillain
10th Oct 2010, 02:20
When i mean music i guess i mean more of the ambient music. The music that Adam Jensen sort of hears as he's walking down the streets of whatever towns he's in. In most big citys there's always some sort of sound, what sort of music defines the society. Who's listening to it? Is it oldies, new wave, Cyber Punk Electronic music? That's what i wanna know. I looked up some Michael McCann, and i think his stuff is good for intros and nuances, but i don't think it really cuts it when it comes to new wave future music sort of sound that really speaks "this is the future." Know what im sayin?

Maybe this is just a minute detail and won't really matter, but i think it would be awesome to walk down a crowded street and be able to mold yourself into the environment, with the rich cultural tunes of the locals. I guess that also sort of leads to, what will the city environment sound like? I know it was really quiet in both Dx 1&2.

I should also add, I haven't really been in touch with recent video games of the past 5 years, so i maybe asking to much. But it seems doable, with the sort of detail they're putting into the aura of the environment. I just think adding some music be it minuscule or loud would really immerse the player.

Thoughts?

Pinky_Powers
10th Oct 2010, 03:17
^... I think all that stuff will be in the game. You can get a little bit of it from watching the E3 Demo videos. But as it's all cam footage, the audio levels are fairly drowned out.

McCann is a composer. He makes music to fit the project. You should except some very serious cyberpunk tunes throughout the game. I know I'm looking forward to hearing and seeing more of Human Revolution.

Just be patient. There's so very little we've actually been shown thus far.

neilthecellist
10th Oct 2010, 07:00
I'd doubt there. I wouldn't put it past them to be holding out until the very final stages of production to add a piece.

No. This is not how digital music production works in game / movie collaborations.

Anu
10th Oct 2010, 10:25
I also wonder about the background noises. You walk in a bar and there is a hum of people talking simultaneously, glasses chiming, somebody laughing out loud. You walk to a backside alley and hear the distant cars, creaking of an old wooden fence and a disgruntled cat dashing from the shadows... that sort of thing.

Rain would be nice. Wouldn´t mind snow either.

Corpus
10th Oct 2010, 11:18
I would like to hear some ambient noises but it really depends on what the music is like. Take Kane and Lynch 2 for example, some of the music in that isn't too powerful or loud so it allows for tons of ambient noises to be played without overpowering the music or being shut out by it. I think the same applies for Stalker too.