PDA

View Full Version : PRETENTIOUS THREAD FOR PRETENTIOUS PEOPLE (yay)

SlashPrower
7th Oct 2010, 21:09
This goes out to all the writers. Which of these movements can you relate your wrting style to the most?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_literary_movements

I'd fit best with the Anti-Transcendentalists, myself.

http://www.slideshare.net/ahearnet/antitranscendentalism

What that doesn't say about it, though, is that it also focuses on the effects of madness on the human psyche. Hence, Poe's The Black Cat and Tell-Tale Heart.

MxOAgentJohnson
7th Oct 2010, 21:59
Before i read it is there any style of writing similar to Gibson.

:D

SlashPrower
7th Oct 2010, 22:16
Oh, William Gibson? Errrrrrrrrrrrrm...there's not any specific literary movement that I can think of that lines up with cyberpunk. Speaking of which, there is a flaw in this. We must also state the genre of the stuff we commonly write.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_literary_genres

I enjoy writing absurdist fiction, dark fantasy, and splatterpunk horror.

ohitspatty
7th Oct 2010, 22:22
I write on public bathroom walls.
Usually "Steve is ***got" or something like that.

GrievousOdyssey
7th Oct 2010, 22:46
My ... god ...

It must be the effect ... i'm seeing something brilliant ...

MxOAgentJohnson
7th Oct 2010, 22:48
I write cyberpunk, dystopian and crime.

SlashPrower
7th Oct 2010, 22:52
We should share stories, MxO. I have a few that I've been working on.

MxOAgentJohnson
7th Oct 2010, 22:55
Im working on something at the moment.

Its set in an apocalyptic earth where the sun is dying out faster, the earth is inhabitable but the inside bunkers and towns are all connected and are very shaggy lookin but keep the sun out and that cause the sun can kill you cause its like uuuuuuuuuh really hot.

Anyway it focuses on the poor community controlled who abuse technology like a drug, and its kinda like, a bit bigger than the metro 2033 civilian areas but like in the future with loads of technology.

Anyway yea teh corporations "Datatrust" own all the data and supply all the needs for everyone.

And i havent decided whats the story yet really its just mostly concept right now.

SlashPrower
7th Oct 2010, 23:10
Reminds me of a short story I did a while back called "The Greater Good". That was the closest I'd ever gotten to cyberpunk and/or sci-fi. It detailed an extremely utalitarian society of beings descended from another planet thousands of years after a deadly nuclear war that supposedly wiped out all of humanity.

Blah blah blah science, blah blah blah discovery, blah blah blah the main character, who was an archaeologist, found out that his species had evolved from the humans that had survived the nuclear war and they weren't really the descendants of some unknown alien race and that the cover-up was instigated to destroy any sort of connection to moral beliefs pertaining with religion, race, etc. and give their descendants a reason for a completely unified society. He was killed at the end for the good of the society and his findings were destroyed, so yay.

I should post it here sometime. Right now, I'm working on a story called "The Omega Project", which is pretty much splatterpunk with a more scientific base as opposed to a paranormal one.

MxOAgentJohnson
7th Oct 2010, 23:13
Sounds good, i'll ave a gander when you can get it up.

Right now i ad to make a new facebook, me and my mate got banned apparently cause i sent him a wall post saying ******.

so we ad to remake our facebooks and i cant be bothered really.

BeardedHoplite
8th Oct 2010, 00:36
Does anyone else here write Pulp? 'Cause that would be awesome if it was just me.

SlashPrower
8th Oct 2010, 00:47
I hope you write like Raymond Chandler. He had the best imagery ever.

Kent-45
8th Oct 2010, 15:32
I write on public bathroom walls.
Usually "Steve is ***got" or something like that.

I laughed out loud.

Bevacur
8th Oct 2010, 15:32
I have a Facebook, i hardly go on. If i do i just end up liking a bunch of groups, insult a few friends, accept randomers friend requests and get Farmville requests.

BeardedHoplite
8th Oct 2010, 21:05
I hope you write like Raymond Chandler. He had the best imagery ever.

How's "Catherine looked just like any other person who've just had their brains ejected out of their forheads looked" for you?

Best thing I've ever written.

ohitspatty
9th Oct 2010, 02:52
At least my writing will be read by many.

GrievousOdyssey
9th Oct 2010, 16:26
It's a bit cheating with a title such as "The Bible part II ~ God visits the world of Today" ...

SlashPrower
9th Oct 2010, 16:47
How's "Catherine looked just like any other person who've just had their brains ejected out of their forheads looked" for you?

Best thing I've ever written.

I like it.

Kent-45
10th Oct 2010, 16:39
I like writing (and movies) and I have a couple projects I'm working on (nothing near final quality yet) but I'm not against putting some stuff up here. I do want to publish a book someday, even if it's not a success. It's definitely a dream of mine. If I actually invested some serious time into it, I'd probably be a lot closer to it than I am right now... but what can I say? Life happens... it gets in the way a lot.

GrievousOdyssey
10th Oct 2010, 22:02
"The dreams and reality of the world from the eyes of a Cyclop" , by Kent , the local zombie killer ...

I give it a Six ...