PDA

View Full Version : Our beloved Wayne Haas.

Pinky_Powers
7th Oct 2010, 07:10
So I just got too curious as to whether or not my suspicions were on the money. I contacted the author of the EuroGamer preview for the GamesCom Detroit demo, Tom Bramwell.

Dear Bramwell,

I loved your GamesCom preview of Deus Ex – Human Revolution. I’ve been following the thing for some time on the Official Forums. I’m a real enthusiast for the whole franchise.

As such, I’ve got a question very few can answer. But you, dear Tom, are one of those few.

You watched the those selfish Eidos Montréal braggarts play through that Demo three different times. And one of those times Adam Jensen spoke to an old colleague of his, Wayne Haas… sound familiar?
My question is simple: Is this Wayne Haas?
http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/dx3-screenshot48.jpg

Mahalo,
Pinky_Powers.

To which he replied,

Hi Pinky,

Yep, that's the guy. Glad you liked the preview.

All the best,

Tom.

So meet Wayne Haas, Jensen's former SWAT partner.

http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/dx3-screenshot48.jpg

You can just see the turmoil on his face... poor, troubled soul. :D

rhalibus
7th Oct 2010, 07:46
Smooth--and sneaky. I approve. :)

And now looking closer at that screen shot that I could have sworn was concept art, I see now that it is indeed in-game. Nicely done, EM.

Deltaslayer
7th Oct 2010, 08:00
Is it Adam in the magazine behind him? lol

OwlSolar
7th Oct 2010, 08:02
Even better: it's in the trash.

And now looking closer at that screen shot that I could have sworn was concept art, I see now that it is indeed in-game. Nicely done, EM.
Yeah, did anyone else notice that the graphics are rather reminiscent of paintings? It's a weird art style, but I think it's interesting, and very subtle.

Shralla
7th Oct 2010, 08:05
Oh man, now I can never use the social option. :(

Pinky_Powers
7th Oct 2010, 08:14
Oh man, now I can never use the social option. :(

What? Why? :confused:

Spyhopping
7th Oct 2010, 08:18
Nice work pinky. Facial designs are looking distinctive and pretty smart, though he definitely has some blonde candy floss on his head. :P

Pinky_Powers
7th Oct 2010, 08:24
though he definitely has some blonde candy floss on his head. :P

I know! His hair doesn't make any sense at all. You can see some rather sharp textures on his face and clothes, but then his hair just goes straight to blur-town.

I'm thinking (hoping) it's just a byproduct of early built nonsense.

*fingers crossed*

Or maybe this is just what happens when you shrink people's heads.

Spyhopping
7th Oct 2010, 08:33
Or perhaps he's recently been assaulted by a fairground worker. The plot thickens!

In all honesty I'm not really fussed about it, will probably look different on release as you say. And Adam's beautiful barnet makes up for it tenfold.

II J0SePh X II
7th Oct 2010, 09:19
I'm not digging the tie, looks like cops re-imagined by Gok Wan.

OwlSolar
7th Oct 2010, 10:14
As a way of integrating Renaissance visuals into his design, it's awesome. From a style standpoint, it's a bit weird.

...But who cares. I would totally wear a tie like that.

AlexOfSpades
7th Oct 2010, 16:22
What's written in the insignia?

Voltok...?

Ilves
7th Oct 2010, 16:25
Baby killer!

Angel-A
7th Oct 2010, 17:34
Wayne's hair most closely resembles a pile of poo.

No, really.

Shralla
7th Oct 2010, 18:45
What? Why? :confused:

I'd feel bad. I knew you had a history with the guy, I didn't know he used to be your PARTNER.

AquinasProtocol
7th Oct 2010, 23:29
Is it just me, or does the figure on the cover of the magazine in the trash look suspiciously like the male version of Alex D from Invisible War?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/79/Dxinvwar.jpg

OwlSolar
7th Oct 2010, 23:33
That would be awesome if it was deliberate.

TrickyVein
8th Oct 2010, 00:05
What kind of a name is "Haas?" A name haas to have some kind of meaning within the DX universe. "Adam" is biblical, for instance. It just seems to me to be a little half-haased to call the guy something normal like "Wayne" and give him that particular l-haas-t name.

OwlSolar
8th Oct 2010, 00:09
It doesn't have to have a meaning.

KSingh77
8th Oct 2010, 00:17
Haas

Haasassin?

Also that magazine cover the male Alex D. would make a nice homage to IW even though it wasn't great.

TrickyVein
8th Oct 2010, 00:18
No, it haaaaaaaas to.

You don't get it. It's OK.

Ninjerk
8th Oct 2010, 00:19
Doubtful that the trashcan is IW. The head orientation is more upright with a 3/4 profile and what appears to be a mohawk or variation thereof.

KSingh77
8th Oct 2010, 00:20
No, it haaaaaaaas to.

If you don't get a joke,thats okay.

TrickyVein
8th Oct 2010, 00:27
Oh! Mon - ah - me: I was not referring to your person, of course, but that which preceded yours. Posting gets messed up, it's not a chatroom but we all treat it like a chatroom, at least I do mostly.

AquinasProtocol
8th Oct 2010, 00:56
What kind of a name is "Haas?" A name haas to have some kind of meaning within the DX universe. "Adam" is biblical, for instance. It just seems to me to be a little half-haased to call the guy something normal like "Wayne" and give him that particular l-haas-t name.

It's Dutch - means "rabbit" or "hare."

I knew Dutch would come in handy one of these days...

Edit: I should note that it isn't completely unheard of as a last name. Sort of like how Bird or Fox are English words that have been taken as last names.

OwlSolar
8th Oct 2010, 00:57
No, it haaaaaaaas to.

Hahahaha, I get it now. That's pretty good, you really had me rolling on the floor with that one. :)

AlexOfSpades
8th Oct 2010, 01:25
I typed "Haas" on google images.

A lot of bunny pictures and muscular half naked men appeared.

D:

TrickyVein
8th Oct 2010, 01:28
Oh Jesus, you weren't kidding -

Gordon_Shea
8th Oct 2010, 01:53

Clearly it's a reference to Earle Haas, inventor of the tampon.

TrickyVein
8th Oct 2010, 01:57
SWAT buddies, eh? I think it was more than that.

Kodaemon
10th Oct 2010, 05:00
What's written in the insignia?

Voltok...?

VOLTRON!

Seriously though, it's just "POLICE".

I know! His hair doesn't make any sense at all. You can see some rather sharp textures on his face and clothes, but then his hair just goes straight to blur-town.

With how difficult it is to do convincing hair these days, I'd guess they deliberately had the hair at lower def, so the face detail draws more attention.

beastosterone
10th Oct 2010, 05:04
Wayne's hair most closely resembles a pile of poo.

No, really.

No dude, it's just the painting "style". :rasp:

Pinky_Powers
10th Oct 2010, 05:17
With how difficult it is to do convincing hair these days, I'd guess they deliberately had the hair at lower def, so the face detail draws more attention.

I have no doubt that philosophy plays a large roll in their design work. But, this just seems kinda extreme to be deliberate.

The disparity is almost jarring. You'd at lest want the edges of the hair, where it overlaps with the face, to be sharp.

Indeed, I'm still hoping it's only an early build issue.

Kodaemon
10th Oct 2010, 05:21
Actually, it bothers me less than the plastic hair-helmets of the Mass Effect people. To each his own, I guuess.

Pinky_Powers
10th Oct 2010, 05:53
Yes. The hair in Mass Effect is one of the few things that game really botched. ...hideously ugly bonnets that make you wish everyone to be bald.

NKD
10th Oct 2010, 06:20
Yes. The hair in Mass Effect is one of the few things that game really botched. ...hideously ugly bonnets that make you wish everyone to be bald.

That low quality h̟͇̤͔̙̋͗ȁ͍̖̯̠̪̬̰i̛͙̘̩̹̮̞̜ͭr̬͔̠ͫ̚ and they couldn't even offer a decent number of o̞ͧ̉̆͑͂̽̀̕p̸̳͙̤̤͎͙̮̿t̼̬͖͔̻̫̝̩̦̔̋̄̐*̧̤̫̼̮̫̒͂͒̉̓̌ͦͣỏ̡͕̞̼̺̏̽̇n̬̈́͒̅s̷̝̖̪̝̽́̈̄͋ͩ̌̎ͅ.

Anu
10th Oct 2010, 10:39

It ´s the ugly bonnets or go marine with your carefully designed SheShep...

Must admit, it was rather awful. Plastic helmets indeed.

MrFoxter
10th Oct 2010, 14:30
Actually, it bothers me less than the plastic hair-helmets of the Mass Effect people. To each his own, I guuess.

Oh! <sound of breaking glass> I thought the hair in ME2 was mostly OK, but now I see! Thank you, sir, you just ruined my this year's greatest 70 hours of gameplay. :D

SWAT buddies, eh? I think it was more than that.

Story of Wayne and Adam, geatest bros ever
(...) So meet Wayne Haas, Jensen's former SQUAT partner. They were living all alone in a small abandoned house, until Wayne killed an augmented child. Adam told the police and Wayne went to prison. Since that day, Wayne has never washed his hair as a reminder of that gruesome betrayal. And if Adam has not died, Wayne Haas is keeping his hair unwashed to this very day.