PDA

View Full Version : What if they became Isometric?

Ants_27_
5th Oct 2010, 18:56
Well here I am, finally completing the second level of GOL, will do the third at some point, though no idea when....!

Anyway, I hear people bang on about how they want this remaking and that remaking... well its not a great idea to constantly be stuck in the past, TR would probably lose even more credibility. So what if the GOL team did remake the 'older' games but in the format and gameplay of the guardian of light? With me so far?;)

Personally I still believe it to be a tad pointless, but I think I'd buy a fresh take on the classic TR's (the whole Arcade style) as opposed to an anniversary style game (which should be reserved to a constantly evolving series of games).

xdiesp
5th Oct 2010, 19:04
By the 2nd game, people would already start saying the formula is stale... they said it for Underworld as if Crystal Dynamics never happened.

So it's beyond the point if it's good or bad, you have to predict how the monkeys' brains will work against\for it.

Ants_27_
5th Oct 2010, 19:15
By the 2nd game, people would already start saying the formula is stale... they said it for Underworld as if Crystal Dynamics never happened.

So it's beyond the point if it's good or bad, you have to predict how the monkeys' brains will work against\for it.

That my friend is true. Though I suppose for one or two it wouldn't be too bad, though by that point fans of say number 4 will want that, then so will fans of AOD... and the long spiral remains.:nut:

chriss_99
5th Oct 2010, 19:23
The isometric camera was a great idea for Lara Croft series. I just don't see how it would work with the pillar releases or the remakes.
The original TR games were (more or less) epic. Remaking them in an isometric view would probably ruin this feeling.
GoL is considered as an arcade game with lots of action, puzzles and challenges but the story is not very interesting and it's not the strongest part of the game. The isometric view suits perfectly for the light mood of this release.

QiX
5th Oct 2010, 20:49
Isometric perspective shows only one side of the scenery, you can't convert the classic games to isometric. You would have blind corners everywhere, and the level conception of the games assumed the rooms were to be seen from inside, not from above. I rather don't have any remakes than remakes in isometric. Heck, I rather don't have any remakes, period. Let them produce brand new stories instead.

Ants_27_
5th Oct 2010, 21:42
Isometric perspective shows only one side of the scenery, you can't convert the classic games to isometric. You would have blind corners everywhere, and the level conception of the games assumed the rooms were to be seen from inside, not from above. I rather don't have any remakes than remakes in isometric. Heck, I rather don't have any remakes, period. Let them produce brand new stories instead.

Well thinking back, I think the way I saw it was more of a reimagening of the games as opposed to a direct port/remake, so I think remake would be the wrong word.

Basically using the same story and characters and locations you've seen before but in a more interesting way and fresh and light hearted way to view the games that came before CD.

I personally hate remakes, just for the fact that I find it funny how a developer will think that gamers will buy the same game again, I personally won't. But if something is created and reimaged then I'll be intrigued. But I was just curious to see the views of people.;)

xdiesp
5th Oct 2010, 21:58
However, there's more that GOL can teach the main series. Weapons, artefacts, upgrades were awesome and the medals-achiev system well integrated.

In the end they're little things, but give accomplishment and keep it tight.

Denis..
6th Oct 2010, 04:19
i really loved tr anniversary and it's still my favourite game of all..more than uncharted or any game! too bad i don't have a ps2 anymore to play it and i hate playing it on pc because i just don't like pc for games..why i having a ps3? but i would be again from the first people to buy another remake to tell the truth..aah anniversary and larson's death and natla and t rex..aw you making me miss it more guys..i hate u! i want anniversary for ps3 now!!!

jayjay119
6th Oct 2010, 17:10
Now I haven't played GoL yet but I gotta say that the isometric camera is not something that appeals to me, everything is too small for my liking and I'm not looking forward to straining my eyes trying to see everything.

Also, I have read a good few reviews about GoL and it seems like everything, and I mean everything is getting rave reviews besides the isometric camera angle as, according to reviewers, it creates difficulties when jumping for ledges, when aiming at enemies at a distance and when trying to see all enemies, because some will be close but off screen.

Personally I hope for the pillar TR franchise they move to a solid, camera always behind the back of character approach as this, to me at least would solve, both the camera problems and camera-movement related problems. It seems to me that every TR game since Chronicles has had trouble with the camera, so I think they should take a movement system like in the classics where the camera stays behind Lara and when you turn left/right the you move the camera and Lara follows, only minus the tank controls, obviously.Wow that was a long post lol

Ants_27_
6th Oct 2010, 17:40
Personally I hope for the pillar TR franchise they move to a solid, camera always behind the back of character approach as this, to me at least would solve, both the camera problems and camera-movement related problems. It seems to me that every TR game since Chronicles has had trouble with the camera, so I think they should take a movement system like in the classics where the camera stays behind Lara and when you turn left/right the you move the camera and Lara follows, only minus the tank controls, obviously.Wow that was a long post lol

Hey, it can be done, Resident Evil does it.

You walk with the left stick and turn the character left with the right stick. But I never meant for it to sound like I wanted to replace the camera in the pillar releases (though its never that good). I just met for the spin off Lara croft titles.

jayjay119
7th Oct 2010, 14:30
^Ohhhh Right, sorry. Well I'm a firm believer that one should never judge a game before you have played it, which I haven't so I will reserve my answer to this question for now, but looking at what others have said, it seems like the isometric camera may get old.

Personally I think they could release a game like legend that was more focused on gameplay and add co-op and call it 'Lara Croft and the....' which would suit me fine, the main purpose of the LC side series, to me, seems so that CD can cater fro people who want more action and multiplayer in TR really.

And also, Is stick by my point of the pillar franchises using the behind the back camera, but not so much like Resi, that's a little too solid I think for a movement based game, more along the lines of what the Hitman series or (lord forgive me) Uncharted uses!