PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex: Human Revolution - the Critical Reception

biofuel
3rd Oct 2010, 16:03
As we near the release of Human Revolution, how will the game be received critically by players? Notwithstanding commercial sales, to predict, what kind of place is Human Revolution going to have within the big picture of videogames?

Pretentious Old Man.
3rd Oct 2010, 16:05
I predict 8.5-9.0s all round. It'll be deemed good, but short for a single player only experience. It'll also sell quite well, if not as much as Mass Effect or similar.

TrickyVein
3rd Oct 2010, 16:06
Wanna bet? I think we should make this into a potluck.

NKD
3rd Oct 2010, 16:11
Wanna bet? I think we should make this into a potluck.

I'll bring the deviled eggs.

WildcatPhoenix
3rd Oct 2010, 16:14
I'll bring the deviled eggs.

Haha! That's what I was thinking!

I'll bring a casserole...

Pretentious Old Man.
3rd Oct 2010, 16:15
Ya, I'm fairly confident that it'll be OK reviewed, but not with rampant adulation.

Just so long as it does better than that XCOM aberration.

Facebyface
3rd Oct 2010, 16:21
Of course there's going to be high scores. It's a good looking game and thus it all ready has critical favor.

But in less pessimism (which is all to rampant on these forums. Seriously, be freaking happy) I do say it has the potential to be what the original was to PC gaming at the time in creating a diverse, action packed, community friendly, and challenging game for many types of people to enjoy. There's the potential, but who knows?

TrickyVein
3rd Oct 2010, 16:23
This poll is biased. There's no "average" option. It goes from not good to good with nothing in between.

TrickyVein
3rd Oct 2010, 16:30
Ho ho! Your logic doth prevail.

Pretentious Old Man.
3rd Oct 2010, 16:44
Seriously, be freaking happy

http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/agentwhateverhisnameis_7429.jpg

St. Mellow
3rd Oct 2010, 16:56
7.5-8.5 range. Best case scenario, HR will be a good-to-great game, but ultimately derivative and far from groundbreaking. At this stage, it's blatantly obvious that it won't be a bad game, unless they seriously f*** up something important. Alas, that's not the point. The real question is and has always been: "Will it live up to the original?" I don't think so. But I could be wrong, and maybe we're unknowingly awaiting the release of a critical turning point in the history of videogames, like DX was. Doubtful possibility for many reasons. At least I'm pretty convinced it won't be as bad as IW.

Rockn-Roll
3rd Oct 2010, 16:58
I looked at the trailer and all the artwork and in-game screenshots and I have to say that Eidos is trying to pull a GOTY again. The story sounds very immersive and the scale of the game looks huge. Some games only take 4 or 5 hours or so of gameplay to finish, BioShock 2 for example,...though replayability is decent, for example I played through BioShock 2 three times before it became boring. But perhaps the reason is that they added multiplayer support and thus didn't focus on or have time for a polished and complete single player game.

Eidos is focusing on Single Player only which is going to mean content is designed to make the single player game the best. Plus, it does look like a significant replayability is designed into the game...playing through with different choices...even more so that Invisible War which I only played through twice...once for stealth and the second time for guns blazin.

I'm really looking forward to this game...more than RAGE...perhaps even more than Thi4f which is a huge accomplishment because I've always been a Thief fan from the day The Dark Project was released.

NKD
3rd Oct 2010, 17:04
It's really hard to say. Nothing I've seen so far tells me this is anything less than a 9, for me. But there's a lot I haven't seen. Will the game be polished and relatively light on bugs? Will there be enough quality content or will it leave me wishing there was more? Will the story be satisfying? The core multi-path gameplay seems to be there, which is the most important factor for me personally, but there is a lot that remains to be seen.

Pinky_Powers
3rd Oct 2010, 17:52
You got to wonder, who's voted for those two extremes? "Possibly the best game ever"? "A bad game"? :D

Personally, I think it should easy reach the "great game" plateau. But as I've always said in the past, there's plenty of room for them to screw that up. And as someone who will be buying the PC edition, I live with a constant fear the game will be a broken port of the PS3 version, and utterly unplayable.

But EM is a new company, and they have spoken openly about how all versions of the game are being worked on simultaneously. So unless they prove otherwise, I shall put my faith in this.

Mindmute
3rd Oct 2010, 19:12
You got to wonder, who's voted for those two extremes? "Possibly the best game ever"? "A bad game"? :D

Wanna start taking bets? ;)

I'm firmly in the good game portion of the thread, new info might push it up a notch, but at this point I'm expecting it to be a good or average game.

Ashpolt
3rd Oct 2010, 19:36
As I've said all along: I think it'll be a reasonably good - not great - game when taken in its own right. As a continuation of the Deus Ex franchise, it'll be terrible. Much the same as Invisible War.

However, it'll get amazing reviews, because Eidos Montreal have a huge marketing budget for this and will buy off loads of reviewers "the industry has grown up" and things like depth of gameplay aren't important any more so long as the graphics are vaguely flashy and there's non-stop action and explosions. Also, most reviewers these days don't like things they can't describe as "a cross between x and y" or "z on crack," so this conforming to modern gameplay norms will be right up their street - "it's a cross between Rainbow Six Vegas and Bioshock!" will say one idiot reviewer, "Metal Gear Solid on crack!" another.

The public reaction will be more mixed, and will broadly be divided into four categories:

-People who've never played Deus Ex, but love CoD, GoW, Halo etc - they'll love it, because in their eyes, this will be a "thinking man's" game and will make them feel smart without ever actually challenging them.

-People who've never played Deus Ex, but are really into RPGs: they'll play it for 20 minutes and get bored, and will never think of picking up the original Deus Ex from then on.

-People who've played the original Deus Ex, and value story over gameplay: tough to say at the moment. The story does look like it might work out OK, but could be too "in your face" with its themes. Could go either way.

-People who've played the original Deus Ex, and value gameplay over story: Will be massively disappointed.

Sadly, the proportion of gamers in column A is probably now larger than columns B, C and D together, and so it'll look like a runaway success, meaning DX4 (which is, let's face it, inevitable at this point - I almost guarantee a lot of open threads at the end of DXHR) will be just as "cinematic," "cool", "streamlined" and "accessible" as DXHR is, if not more so. And we will never get a great Deus Ex game again.

ZakKa89
3rd Oct 2010, 19:59
I hate these polls but somehow I always participate

Mindmute
3rd Oct 2010, 20:01
I hate these polls but somehow I always participate

Haha! We can, at last, pinpoint a vote for one of the extreme options to satisfy the curious, right? ;)

(count on "best gaem evar" went up to 4 close to when you posted)

ZakKa89
3rd Oct 2010, 20:15
Hehe exactly.

Blade_hunter
3rd Oct 2010, 20:27
As I've said all along: I think it'll be a reasonably good - not great - game when taken in its own right. As a continuation of the Deus Ex franchise, it'll be terrible. Much the same as Invisible War.

However, it'll get amazing reviews, because Eidos Montreal have a huge marketing budget for this and will buy off loads of reviewers "the industry has grown up" and things like depth of gameplay aren't important any more so long as the graphics are vaguely flashy and there's non-stop action and explosions. Also, most reviewers these days don't like things they can't describe as "a cross between x and y" or "z on crack," so this conforming to modern gameplay norms will be right up their street - "it's a cross between Rainbow Six Vegas and Bioshock!" will say one idiot reviewer, "Metal Gear Solid on crack!" another.

The public reaction will be more mixed, and will broadly be divided into four categories:

-People who've never played Deus Ex, but love CoD, GoW, Halo etc - they'll love it, because in their eyes, this will be a "thinking man's" game and will make them feel smart without ever actually challenging them.

-People who've never played Deus Ex, but are really into RPGs: they'll play it for 20 minutes and get bored, and will never think of picking up the original Deus Ex from then on.

-People who've played the original Deus Ex, and value story over gameplay: tough to say at the moment. The story does look like it might work out OK, but could be too "in your face" with its themes. Could go either way.

-People who've played the original Deus Ex, and value gameplay over story: Will be massively disappointed.

Sadly, the proportion of gamers in column A is probably now larger than columns B, C and D together, and so it'll look like a runaway success, meaning DX4 (which is, let's face it, inevitable at this point - I almost guarantee a lot of open threads at the end of DXHR) will be just as "cinematic," "cool", "streamlined" and "accessible" as DXHR is, if not more so. And we will never get a great Deus Ex game again.

It's sad, but true, Oh don't forget the splinter cell: conviction meets uncharted ;) I don't vote, I think I can estimate how well the game will sell but not what the reviewers will say about the game even if a lot of them sounds to be part of your first column Ash.

pringlepower
3rd Oct 2010, 20:50
Well if Eidos tries to pull what they did with Kane and Lynch...

St. Mellow
3rd Oct 2010, 21:23

Now I has a sad. :(

Gordon_Shea
3rd Oct 2010, 23:28
To be honest I think it'll probably be better than Deus Ex.

Deus Ex had a lousy story, bad VA, very mixed gameplay (The shooting was outright bad, a lot of stuff like Health was trivialized, etc), and very mixed level design (Good levels like Battery Park, The Brooklyn Sub Pen, the city hubs vs. awful ones like The Submarine Base and Area 51). Ultimately the game only really shone in those levels that rewarded alternative or emergent problem-solving, and on my last playthrough it kind of struck me how few and far between those were.

NKD
3rd Oct 2010, 23:59

Deus Ex had a lousy story, bad VA, very mixed gameplay (The shooting was outright bad, a lot of stuff like Health was trivialized, etc), and very mixed level design (Good levels like Battery Park, The Brooklyn Sub Pen, the city hubs vs. awful ones like The Submarine Base and Area 51). Ultimately the game only really shone in those levels that rewarded alternative or emergent problem-solving, and on my last playthrough it kind of struck me how few and far between those were.

Oh snap! People are going to freak out on you. Just saying :P Even if there is some merit to what you're saying, no one can abide anything negative being said about Deus Ex. If anyone does by chance acknowledge a flaw in Deus Ex, they'll simply attempt to downplay it by pointing to the games age and say that they couldn't do any better back then.

SageSavage
4th Oct 2010, 00:06
*goes advanced* :poke:

OwlSolar
4th Oct 2010, 00:09

Hey, that game came out in 2000. It's not like they could do any better back then.

:p

NKD
4th Oct 2010, 00:11
Hey, that game came out in 2000. It's not like they could do any better back then.

:p

:lol:

II J0SePh X II
4th Oct 2010, 14:51
Eidos Montreal, make sure you give Whity a review copy of the game. He's passionate about games, and reviews games on their merits not what he thinks they should be.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.
http://www.youtube.com/user/UltimateChance#p/u/0/7usSEvpPMFw

Mafia II.
http://www.youtube.com/user/UltimateChance#p/u/9/j6p_fU4V46U

Alpha Protocol.
http://www.youtube.com/user/UltimateChance#p/u/20/KSo5ZNMzvFw

Games journalism at the big sites is a scam these days. Indy reviewers are the most trustworthy.

Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days
http://www.youtube.com/user/UltimateChance#p/u/10/lG_byd9n4jI