PDA

View Full Version : You there in charge of marketing what do you do?

Unstoppable
3rd Oct 2010, 14:21
Let's say for a minute you've been chosen to be in complete charge of marketing. You have a limited budget and are targeting the North American areas for your campaign. How would you best spend your resources? Let's say you have 5 million dolalrs.

2 million dollars:
I would do something crazy and probably get in trouble for it but in the end it would pay of. I would with cooperation from the developers leak a gameplay demo to the torrent community. Then we would claim that we got hacked in order to create more publicity. It would try to mimic what happened with Half Life 2 without all the chasing after a hacker that doesn't really exist.

What would you guys spend your time on? How would you do your television ads what would be their focus?

2 million dollars:
Mine would probably dwell on the conspiracy and corporations having more power than the government theme. I would tie it heavily to real world events to make people pay attention and talk about it like if it was happening in real life.

They wouldn't be able to tell if it was reality or a videogame but they would know that they would have to have whatever the hell Deus Ex: Human Revolution is.

For my last million I would probably focus on printed magazines and billboards that directed people to the website. As you can probably tell I don't have any internet advertising which is probably a bad idea. That's where going over budget comes in.

Another couple hundred thousand I would request for internet advertising which is very important. So there you have it.

My primary goals:
1)Create an internet frenzy by releasing a leaked demo of Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

2)Hit the air waves and tv waves with advertising that sounds realistic and making people want to find out more about DX: HR.

3)Magazines and Billboards which can be very effective, take for example Left 4 Dead 2 Billboards made me buy the game.

4)The internet would then get another dose of propaganda via viral marketing ads hitting up all the websites.

Wishful thinking no doubt and I'd probably end up getting fired. If my plan was to succeed though DX: HR would break a million sold. So yea what about you?

Bluey71
3rd Oct 2010, 16:33
Great question.

I would set up two to three different fake company web sites(Not Versalife), all to do with products, technology and research into human enhancement. I would make them convincing enough, using real world tech as a basis and word play to convince visitors that the sites are real, that the research and tech is real.

As they already have done, EM would then point to those sites as proof of concept for some of their aug designs, weapon concepts and general tech in the game. Importantly though, they would mix this with real world tech by also pointing to real world web sites etc. The emphasis here is on making it convincing. To do this properly and make it really really convincing it would probably take 1 - 1.5 million - not that I really know.

Most if not all web sites have a news section. Using the news sections on the fake sites I would start to develop a story based that would lead into the world and storyline of DXHR. Perhaps detailing events in the weeks and months leading up to Adam's accident.

Attending all the big shows like E3 is a given, and I have no real idea what that cost would be.

Pinky_Powers
3rd Oct 2010, 17:08
It doesn't really matter what I'd do. 'Cause the job would be nothing but a cover for me to get my hands on the game and play it at every stage of development. :)

Serendip1ty
3rd Oct 2010, 17:18
Keep dreaming. Same thing happened to STALKER. It doens't work. A "leaked" pre alpha/alpha build is unfinished, contains lots of bugs, memory leaks, has framerate issues, locks your pc up etc.. would you willingly release something to the public that isn't finished yet (= can affect sales) when there is so much money involved? I think not.

Rindill the Red
4th Oct 2010, 05:56
I would take 4.8 million and give it to the developers to make the game great... because, let's face it, a great game sells itself.

Unstoppable
4th Oct 2010, 09:33
I would take 4.8 million and give it to the developers to make the game great... because, let's face it, a great game sells itself.

Yea right. Here are some great games that didn't sell themselves.

1)Thief 1 and 2.
2)Beyond Good and Evil
3)Gears of War PC
4)Grim Fandago

Can't really think of anymore at the moment but without great marketing campaign games don't sell. They have to be well marketed especially if they are unknown. Human Revolution requires a great marketing campaign and some luck to sell large quantities.

Rindill the Red
4th Oct 2010, 11:45
Yea right. Here are some great games that didn't sell themselves.

1)Thief 1 and 2.
2)Beyond Good and Evil
3)Gears of War PC
4)Grim Fandago

Can't really think of anymor eat the moment but without great marketing campaign games don't sell. They have to be well marketed especially if they are unknown. Human Revolution requires a great marketing campaign and some luck to sell large quantities.

And yet you are still talking about these games years and years after their release...
Which is more important release week sales or lifetime sales and the strong foundation of a franchise?

Ashbery76
4th Oct 2010, 12:09
Ban the negative trolls on the forum.

Ashpolt
4th Oct 2010, 12:30
And yet you are still talking about these games years and years after their release...
Which is more important release week sales or lifetime sales and the strong foundation of a franchise?

As far as companies (and likelihood of sequels) are concerned, sales all the way. And besides, your point was that "a great game sells itself" - which was why Unstoppable spoke about sales. Whether or not these were well-loved isn't related to the original point.

MaxxQ1
4th Oct 2010, 13:46
Let's say for a minute you've been chosen to be in complete charge of marketing. You have a limited budget and are targeting the North American areas for your campaign. How would you best spend your resources? Let's say you have 5 million dolalrs.

To quote the Steve Miller Band, I'd "Take the Money and Run."

:D

Unstoppable
6th Oct 2010, 05:15
I'd say why not have both. This is exactly what Deus Ex: Human Revolution can accomplish. It already has a decent following thanks to the original. Now it needs to draw in new players while satisfying old players and selling enough to sustain the further development of the company and franchise. I definitely want Eidos Montreal to succeed and be able to do great things with Thief 4 and beyond. To do this this game needs to sell at least a 800,000 copies or more I would gather.

Rindill the Red
6th Oct 2010, 23:15
Do we know how much it's costing Square Enix to develop Deus Ex: Human Revolution? It's a small-ish team but they've been working on it for quite awhile.