PDA

View Full Version : Deus Ex: Human Revolution - the Commercial Reception

biofuel
2nd Oct 2010, 13:22
As we near the release of Human Revolution, how do you predict the game will be commercially received? How much of a financial success will the game be in your opinion?

NKD
2nd Oct 2010, 13:29
It's hard to say at this point, but the sort of gameplay DXHR is offering is very appealing. People love a "thinking man's shooter." And the cyberpunk setting will be a refreshing change from the generic Iraq and Afghanistan crap we've been subjected to lately.

Barring any major technical problems at launch that scare people away, I think it will sell very well.

In before "It's going to sell like crazy but only to the filthy console gaming peasants."

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/6075/1217664-gloriouspcgamingrace_super.jpg

SageSavage
2nd Oct 2010, 13:30
I guess it will be a hot seller in the first view weeks because when you look at the critical reception from the known media outlets so far, it's going to be a considerable hype. Of course all that can still go wrong if the real reviews turn out disappointing. More interesting would be the question how it will do in the long run but that can't be answered without knowing the final version of the game.

puzl
2nd Oct 2010, 13:38
Oh, it's pretty obvious it'll be huge commercially. Assuming the critical review scores are 90+ and they continue to pump the money into promoting it, there is no reason to doubt it will sell well into the millions, just like Fallout 3 did.

Kodaemon
2nd Oct 2010, 13:53
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/6075/1217664-gloriouspcgamingrace_super.jpg

^by the way, this was one of Yahtzee's absolutely worst reviews.

Facebyface
2nd Oct 2010, 13:58
The way it's being advertised is going to draw a lot of people in. They'll expect big, blazing gun battles but what they won't expect is a truly challenging experience requiring you to think before you act. I hope the team can provide on that of course, and there's no reason why they can't. Even if you think it's "watered down" or "dumbed down" they've all ready shown in the gameplay vids that it's possible to implement.

I don't think it's going to smash records though merely for the fact that it hasn't reached the ears of the very casual yet. When it gets closer to release I can make a fair judgment. Interesting point to note though, coming out the same month as Portal 2, a sequel to a game that if you didn't love you're a heartless black hole.

Blade_hunter
2nd Oct 2010, 14:19
With enough commercial campaign even mediocre games can get a huge success in comparison with their quality as for DX HR I don't think it will be a flaw even if people and me complains about a lots of its aspects

Ashpolt
2nd Oct 2010, 14:23
EM's marketing budget for this extends to buying massive banners outside E3, and literally every poster slot at the Eurogamer Expo, and I'm going to guess it's a similar scene at other games conferences, and will soon be everywhere online, in magazines, etc.

At this point, the quality of the game is pretty much irrelevant - much less its quality as a Deus Ex game. The marketing campaign is going to be huge, and will guarantee big sales, no matter what. I doubt it'll be the next Halo, but it'll certainly be at least Bioshock levels of sales success.

Blade_hunter
2nd Oct 2010, 14:47
^by the way, this was one of Yahtzee's absolutely worst reviews.

It's a review about what please ? or have you a link BTW, because I would like to see what is it, please.

spm1138
2nd Oct 2010, 14:52
I think it'll sell like hot cakes tbh.

Kodaemon
2nd Oct 2010, 15:09
It's a review about what please ? or have you a link BTW, because I would like to see what is it, please.

The Witcher (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/22-The-Witcher). The humour is good, but as a review it sucks.

Corpus
2nd Oct 2010, 15:13
From what I've seen, people are acknowledging it, saying its good but I really doubt they will buy it.

Yahtzee's reviews are for humour and only humour. He never actually does a good review.

Pinky_Powers
2nd Oct 2010, 15:18
I *ing hate topics like this. How the F* should we know whether or not the game will sell?

I obviously hope the game will sell well. It will give EM the chance to continue making games. And I really want to see Thief 4. Huge financial success for Human Revolution may give other studios reason to acknowledge there's a market for more complex games. That stealth is a viable gameplay mechanic, and socializing with NPCs is a better way to further the story than just killing the next boss.

Ten years down the road and Deus Ex is just a sad anomaly. Nobody is making games like that. Human Revolution is as close to Deus Ex as we've ever seen. I pray it proves something to the Industry.

Kodaemon
2nd Oct 2010, 15:25
Yahtzee's reviews are for humour and only humour. He never actually does a good review.

I find most of his reviews at least semi-useful. The Witcher one however grates horribly, especially considering his relatively positive review of Dragon Age.

EDIT:

Human Revolution is as close to Deus Ex as we've ever seen.

I take objection to this. While I do look forward to HR, the gameplay seems less DX-y than VtM:Bloodlines.

Pinky_Powers
2nd Oct 2010, 16:02
gameplay seems less DX-y than VtM:Bloodlines.

That's just silly.

Of course Bloodlines is positively wonderful, but it's not even closer to DX's gameplay than Invisible War.

Kodaemon
2nd Oct 2010, 16:16
Well, it does have both hacking and lockpicking, both melee combat and instant takedowns, both skill stats and levelled abilities...

II J0SePh X II
2nd Oct 2010, 16:28
Easy way to guarantee a commercial success is to ply Lamespot & IGNorant with exclusive vids, screenshots, advertising $$$ and trips to Montreal, and they'll dial in a 9.2 without even playing the review copy.

The morons who trust their reviews (hoick-pit!) will say to themselves " Hmm 9.2 Imma get it."

Kodaemon
2nd Oct 2010, 16:44
Easy way to guarantee a commercial success is to ply Lamespot & IGNorant with exclusive vids, screenshots, advertising $$$ and trips to Montreal, and they'll dial in a 9.2 without even playing the review copy.

The morons who trust their reviews (hoick-pit!) will say to themselves " Hmm 9.2 Imma get it."

Also, while you're doing all this advertising, try to give the impression that this is a dark horse nobody knows about. If you can, pit it as a sequel or at least a "spiritual successor" to a legendary game that that your target audience had to hear about but most probably never played. Worked wonders for BioShock.

Facebyface
2nd Oct 2010, 17:01
Also, while you're doing all this advertising, try to give the impression that this is a dark horse nobody knows about. If you can, pit it as a sequel or at least a "spiritual successor" to a legendary game that that your target audience had to hear about but most probably never played. Worked wonders for BioShock.

Not that Bioshock was a terrible game though. Helps that it actually had fun to it. It was very over hyped though, and ultimately a bit pretentious. I don't think Deus Ex will have problems with the latter.

Kodaemon
2nd Oct 2010, 17:05
Not that Bioshock was a terrible game though.

Very much depends on who you ask.

TrickyVein
2nd Oct 2010, 17:07
...the latter? That's where you and I vehemently disagree, pal. Everything I've seen from the art-direction to character design screams "pretentious" to me. Look at AJ's hair, for crying out loud!!! Heard the old adage, "The higher they climb, the farther/harder they fall?" It DX:HR takes place in a time of golden rebirth, than all of the pretentious world-players are going to get what's coming to them and fall hard by the time DX proper swings around.

St. Mellow
2nd Oct 2010, 18:10
Well, I'm in the minority here. I think the game will disappoint EM commercially. By this I mean it's gonna probably sell regularly, maybe even well, BUT worse than what EM expects. They overestimated the demand and underestimated the competition and will suffer for it. I might be totally wrong, but this is my opinion nonetheless. Pinky said it better:

I *ing hate topics like this. How the F* should we know whether or not the game will sell?

zombieturtle01
2nd Oct 2010, 18:21
In my opinion, the game will fall under the radar very quickly. Despite the trailers really appealing to a larger audience, mostly Deus Ex fans are going to be buying this. They simply don't have enough gameplay features shown at this point. I think this is a huge factor; it depends how much more gameplay elements they have to release before the game's release.

The average gameplayer isn't going to care enough to search for and watch the low video quality 25 minute demo. When the average person searches "Deus Ex:Human Revolution" on youtube, they want to see at least 3 different relatively short videos showcasing various elements in the gameplay. Whenever I am interested in a game, and I search youtube or whatever for videos, the first thing that grabs me is when I see titles like " <Insert game title> COMBAT", "<insert game title> INVENTORY", "<insert game title> CHARACTER BUILD" etc. The relatively short and direct videos showing different elements of a game are usually what grabs the purchaser's attention.

Pinky_Powers
2nd Oct 2010, 18:23

So true.

I loved the game, whilst simultaneously disappointed by certain things. Others loathed it in their disappointment.

It did not live up to the hype, either way.

Coyotegrey
2nd Oct 2010, 18:27
From what I've seen, people are acknowledging it, saying its good but I really doubt they will buy it.

:(

I don't know. But what I will say is that his reviews and opinions in those videos are, most of the time, very closely in line with my own.

Edit: Also, our marketing campaign is really ramping up right now, as campaigns typically do closer to release.

Facebyface
2nd Oct 2010, 18:30

I've never heard people say that Bioshock is a terrible game. It doesn't control terribly, it's not terribly bugged, and it's not terribly confusing. Thus, it's not terrible.

...the latter? That's where you and I vehemently disagree, pal. Everything I've seen from the art-direction to character design screams "pretentious" to me. Look at AJ's hair, for crying out loud!!! Heard the old adage, "The higher they climb, the farther/harder they fall?" It DX:HR takes place in a time of golden rebirth, than all of the pretentious world-players are going to get what's coming to them and fall hard by the time DX proper swings around.
I have very little idea what you were trying to say in the last half of this post. I personally don't think it's pretentious. Do you think pretension is just stylized? Is cel-shading pretentious because it wants to look like a cartoon? Is photo-realistic interpretations pretentious because it wants to look real? I will admit that some of the concept art with Adam holding out his arm slicers over two dead guys and smirking about it seems out of place, but I only say that because that's definitely not how I'm going to play my Adam. As a piece of artwork it's pretty cool.

zombieturtle01
2nd Oct 2010, 18:31
Everything I've seen from the art-direction to character design screams "pretentious" to me. Look at AJ's hair, for crying out loud!!!

You must have not played the original DX. JC Denton, some guy who runs around at night, wearing sunglasses and slicked back hair, while trying to mimic the wardrobe of those from The Matrix. Denton is an example of late 90's early 2000's cheesy "cool futuristic guy" and Adam Jensen is an example of 2010's cheesy "Cool futuristic guy".

But oh no, this time, this time the character has slicked back hair and a goatee. Lord save us from the pretentiousness.

Kodaemon
2nd Oct 2010, 18:35
trying to mimic the wardrobe of those from The Matrix.

Obviously not true.

Rest I agree with.

Pinky_Powers
2nd Oct 2010, 18:41
You must have not played the original DX. JC Denton, some guy who runs around at night, wearing sunglasses and slicked back hair, while trying to mimic the wardrobe of those from The Matrix. Denton is an example of late 90's early 2000's cheesy "cool futuristic guy" and Adam Jensen is an example of 2010's cheesy "Cool futuristic guy".

But oh no, this time, this time the character has slicked back hair and a goatee. Lord save us from the pretentiousness.

I think we need more art design like this...

http://cognitionetc.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/halflife2_4.jpg

Gordon's glasses and goatee make him look nerdy, like a Physic's PhD, not pretentious like a writer living in Paris. :)

And of course, apart from Alyx being pretty, she's as far from a cliché as you can get, too.

NKD
2nd Oct 2010, 18:42

Nothing is pretentious compared to Bioshock's hamfisted Randroid script.

zombieturtle01
2nd Oct 2010, 18:44
trying to mimic the wardrobe of those from The Matrix.

Obviously not true.

Is that so?

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee119/zombieturtle01/photoofNeofromTheMatrix.jpg
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee119/zombieturtle01/2569318_screen003.jpg

NKD
2nd Oct 2010, 18:46
But... but... JC Denton has some body armor. And is ostensibly the only person more pale than Keanu.

Pinky_Powers
2nd Oct 2010, 18:49
Nothing is pretentious compared to Bioshock's hamfisted Randroid script.

Pretentious... okay. But it was a goddamn breath of fresh air.

They wanted to take some ideas that have been largely forgotten in the last few decades and create something new with it. That very concept is indeed pretentious to a degree, but it's *ing laudable all the same. And the fact they attacked it with such passion and skill gave us a very solid product... if not everything that was promised.

Kodaemon
2nd Oct 2010, 18:52
The resemblance is a coincidence, JC was designed before anyone even knew about The Matrix.

Coyotegrey
2nd Oct 2010, 19:00
Gordon's glasses and goatee make him look nerdy, like a Physic's PhD, not pretentious like a writer living in Paris. :)

It's not unusual for someone to say Adam looks like Jonathan, our art director on DX:HR. Are you saying HE looks like a pretentious writing living in Paris?!

NKD
2nd Oct 2010, 19:01
The resemblance is a coincidence, JC was designed before anyone even knew about The Matrix.

Well, its less about coincidence and more about them both being ripped from the same equally uninspired generic cyberpunk cool guy idea. Though I don't think that really harmed the game. At least it didn't bug me any.

It's not unusual for someone to say Adam looks like Jonathan, our art director on DX:HR. Are you saying HE looks like a pretentious writing living in Paris?!

Montreal, Paris...

zombieturtle01
2nd Oct 2010, 19:03
Pretentious... okay. But it was a goddamn breath of fresh air.

I agree. Beautiful ideas, mediocre execution.

Unless you have a legit source where this is discussed by the developers, I'll assume you are being a troll. They're even in the same stance for Christ's sake.

IOOI
2nd Oct 2010, 19:03
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/2695/drevilonebillion.jpg (http://img412.imageshack.us/i/drevilonebillion.jpg/)

Now seriously, what Ashpolt said (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1503503#post1503503).

Pinky_Powers
2nd Oct 2010, 19:05

Actually, he looks more like a pretentious painter living in Paris. ;)

ThePrecursor
2nd Oct 2010, 19:06

That JC is modelled after Neo from The Matrix is arguable, but he does seem to be modelled after Blade (the Marvel character) of the movie adaptations (of which the first appeared in 1998). The body armor is almost identical, not to mention the coat and the shades.
http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/1/19/Blade_movie.jpg/300px-Blade_movie.jpg

zombieturtle01
2nd Oct 2010, 19:07
I think we need more art design like this...

And of course, apart from Alyx being pretty, she's as far from a cliché as you can get, too.

Yeah, but it's Valve. No one comes near Valve in terms of character design.

I think the look for Adam is great personally. He looks like a suave and stylish cyberpunk dude, very recognizable among the dozens of forgettable protagonists out there, I think he's perfect for the game. Better than having another guy with a shaved head..

Pinky_Powers
2nd Oct 2010, 19:15
I think the look for Adam is great personally. He looks like a suave and stylish cyberpunk dude, very recognizable among the dozens of forgettable protagonists out there, I think he's perfect for the game. Better than having another guy with a shaved head..

Oh, I'm completely behind Adam's design. He works very well, looks cool, and still has that Deus Ex feel. ...I'm a fan. :thumb:

NKD
2nd Oct 2010, 19:18
Yeah, but it's Valve. No one comes near Valve in terms of character design.

Of course it helps that they don't have to model anything except Gordon's gloves.

Kodaemon
2nd Oct 2010, 19:22
Unless you have a legit source where this is discussed by the developers, I'll assume you are being a troll. They're even in the same stance for Christ's sake.

Yes, they're both standing on their feet!

Look kid, I don't know about you, but I actually remember the early DX previews.

NKD
2nd Oct 2010, 19:26
Yes, they're both standing on their feet!

Look kid, I don't know about you, but I actually remember the early DX previews.

I disagree with you, therefore I am going to make an backhanded remark about your age! Watch out!

Kodaemon
2nd Oct 2010, 19:32
Yes, I know I'm old :(

Dr_Bob
2nd Oct 2010, 19:41
I disagree with you, therefore I am going to make an backhanded remark about your age! Watch out!

Careful, he might add you to his ignore list!

Ashpolt
2nd Oct 2010, 20:10

You've seen Jonathan's hat, right? :P (He's wearing it in all the interviews and was at Eurogamer too...)

And Kodaemon's right, Denton was designed before Spector et al knew about the Matrix. I don't have a link to hand (mainly because I'm too lazy to find it) but Spector's said that he was frustrated by the Matrix comparisons, because from their perspective, JC came first: they'd been working on Deus Ex for several years, then this movie comes out shortly before their game (and remember, though the Matrix went on to be a mega hit, it had relatively little pre-release hype) which featured a similar looking protagonist, and everyone assumed it was a copy.

Oh, and good job with this post:

They're even in the same stance for Christ's sake.

Yes, they're standing in the same stance, because you chose two shots where they were in the same stance. :Insert rolly eyes smiley here:

zombieturtle01
2nd Oct 2010, 20:11
Of course it helps that they don't have to model anything except Gordon's gloves.

Alyx... Dr. Kleiner..... Eli.... Gman.... Dr. Magnusson... Breen.... Father Friggin Grigori.

Unbeatable.

Spyhopping
2nd Oct 2010, 20:26
Haha, there was a guy on one side of me typing notes on his netbook- I noticed that a few sentences down he'd written "guy with hat looks like protagonist". I wonder what he keeps under it.

II J0SePh X II
2nd Oct 2010, 20:57
Haha, there was a guy on one side of me typing notes on his netbook- I noticed that a few sentences down he'd written "guy with hat looks like protagonist". I wonder what he keeps under it.

His Belle tete

VectorM
2nd Oct 2010, 21:02
Alyx... Dr. Kleiner..... Eli.... Gman.... Dr. Magnusson... Breen.... Father Friggin Grigori.

Unbeatable.

They all simply look like normal people, how is that "Unbeatable" ? Any company can do that :o

And Alyx is the most overrated female character in the history of video games, seriously. Talk about people orgasming over facial animations. :nut:

Kodaemon
2nd Oct 2010, 21:05
His Belle tete

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBq-XCKePWg

IOOI
2nd Oct 2010, 21:16
Oh, I'm completely behind Adam's design. He works very well, looks cool, and still has that Deus Ex feel. ...I'm a fan. :thumb:

Yes. He also looks like a good succes.. hum.. predecessor but apparently he can't swim for ****.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/5669/thisisdeusex.jpg (http://img217.imageshack.us/i/thisisdeusex.jpg/)

Facebyface
2nd Oct 2010, 21:18
And Alyx is the most overrated female character in the history of video games, seriously. Talk about people orgasming over facial animations. :nut:

And brilliant voice work and body animations and excellent writing and great AI and astounding emotion and great modeling. Are you one of those people who thinks "Popular = Overrated"? Those people seem to come up a lot these days.

Kodaemon
2nd Oct 2010, 21:18
Don't pick swimming
'cause it's fairly useless

Facebyface
2nd Oct 2010, 21:21
Don't pick swimming

It's a shoota
And a roleplaying game

Tverdyj
2nd Oct 2010, 21:22
Don't pick swimming

except for ambushes and sneaking in Paris.

Blade_hunter
2nd Oct 2010, 22:08
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/2695/drevilonebillion.jpg (http://img412.imageshack.us/i/drevilonebillion.jpg/)

Now seriously, what Ashpolt said (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1503503#post1503503).

Yeah that's a conspiracy ;)

Often upgraded it once, there is a lot of sneaking that can be helped by swimming. and since my main gameplay is exploring ...

zombieturtle01
2nd Oct 2010, 22:39
They all simply look like normal people, how is that "Unbeatable" ? Any company can do that :o

Oh look, someone who doesn't appreciate a subtle and intelligent design approach. Lets make all game characters overt caricatures of human stereotypes.

Pinky_Powers
3rd Oct 2010, 01:17
Yes. He also looks like a good succes.. hum.. predecessor but apparently he can't swim for ****.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/5669/thisisdeusex.jpg (http://img217.imageshack.us/i/thisisdeusex.jpg/)

:lmao: :thumb:

Rockn-Roll
3rd Oct 2010, 17:18
I think it will sell more than BioShock 2...which has many of the same components. Human Revolution appears to be a much larger game with much more going for it.

Mindmute
3rd Oct 2010, 19:29
At this point, the quality of the game is pretty much irrelevant - much less its quality as a Deus Ex game. The marketing campaign is going to be huge, and will guarantee big sales, no matter what. I doubt it'll be the next Halo, but it'll certainly be at least Bioshock levels of sales success.

This.

IOOI
4th Oct 2010, 01:51
Huge financial success for Human Revolution may give other studios reason to acknowledge there's a market for more complex games. That stealth is a viable gameplay mechanic

If stealth is just about crawling behind cover and AI response it will be very dull.

There needs to be something appealing to stealth, that makes players fantasize about their actions, like having the grappling hook, and I'm not talking about a grappling hook where you can use only in predetermined places and has an unlimited use. It must be dynamic but not "Just Cause" dynamic. There should be advantages and disadvantages for its use.

There should be some factors to determine its fair use, like the rope's strength, the rope's length/range, discartable/limited use for the rope (i.e.: if you attach two ends of a rope on to two buildings in order to cross over a street at night. A possible way to retrieve it would be detaching the two ends. Of course the player would need to do this withouth putting his stealth approach at risk or he could very well not retrieve the rope in order to not waste more time).

If there's something like this it might be good.

Pinky_Powers
4th Oct 2010, 02:23
If there's something like this it might be good.

lol.

That sounds like good fun. But I don't think I want or need it in my Deus Ex game.

You can be as ugly as you want about the stealth in HR, but it I foresee having a lot of fun with it.

IOOI
4th Oct 2010, 03:03
lol.

That sounds like good fun. But I don't think I want or need it in my Deus Ex game.

You can be as ugly as you want about the stealth in HR, but it I foresee having a lot of fun with it.

Having more cinematics would not be my main choice for my Deus Ex game either. :p

EDIT: Just to clarify my thought it shouldn't be like Batman AA either. It should be about managing resources (rope) that's why I said it should have a limited use and be discartable. You would need to buy the rope. ;)

Pinky_Powers
4th Oct 2010, 06:05
EDIT: Just to clarify my thought it shouldn't be like Batman AA either. It should be about managing resources (rope) that's why I said it should have a limited use and be discartable. You would need to buy the rope. ;)

Your obsession with rope intrigues me. Please, tell me of all the things you long to do with this desirable lasso.

VectorM
4th Oct 2010, 08:37
And brilliant voice work and body animations and excellent writing and great AI and astounding emotion and great modeling. Are you one of those people who thinks "Popular = Overrated"? Those people seem to come up a lot these days.

All of these things have been achieved in other games and even previous games that don't recieve half the praise.

The modeling and animations part is, well, graphics :rolleyes: and the character desighn isn't anything special, unless of course you consider simply making people look like people to be a big deal. (not implying that if they gave her massive boobs and a chain gun she would have been better, since people clearly prefer to strawman me rather than think about my actual point...)

Great AI, how so exactly? I would argue that no game ever had that great of an AI at all and the 2 games that get mentioned the most (Half-Life 2 and F.E.A.R., the second one being my favorite FPS of all time) as examples of great AI, are actually an example of making enemies that are fun to fight against, with the sounds they make, the way they look, the way they react to shots, physics and the environment itself.

My personal problem with Alyx in particular is, that when you look at her actual personality and depth as a character, as presented in the game only, she simply isn't that great compared to, say, Leliana from Dragon Age, a character that will never get the same praise Alyx did.

Hell, Mordin Solus from Mass Effect 2 is a better character than all the character Valve have ever done combined, facial animations and great scripted events be damned.

Are you one of those people who thinks "Popular = Overrated"? Those people seem to come up a lot these days

Funny that you ask me of all people, considering how many Halo haters read this forum :rolleyes:

Oh look, someone who doesn't appreciate a subtle and intelligent design approach. Lets make all game characters overt caricatures of human stereotypes.

Oh, look, someone who doesn't appreciate character depth. Let's make all game characters bland and give them 5000 facial animations and sweet hypnotizing voices for our virgin ears :nut:

Strawman me more pls...

beastosterone
4th Oct 2010, 09:19
^ most obvious troll on the internet

VectorM
4th Oct 2010, 10:37
^ most obvious troll on the internet

Yes, thinking that a game is overrated is indeed trolling :mad2:

I guess everyone on these boards are trolls then, since they hate on DA **** that is the Halo franchise, huh?

AlexOfSpades
4th Oct 2010, 17:25
I'm with Vector.

The only character in Half Life that actually has a personality is the "dog" robot.

Mindmute
4th Oct 2010, 17:32
Honestly, Half Life has good storytelling, people are (generally) just so used to the bland Bioware characters (who expose their whole life and universe to you over the course of a few minutes) that they can't see the storytelling a plot, backstory or other type of conversation and interaction brings.

AlexOfSpades
4th Oct 2010, 17:38
No, no, not at all Mindmute! Não, nada disso~

I never played a Bioware game, personally.

If you compare Alyx from HL with Mona from Max Payne, you'll see that you could write a book about Mona's backstory. But you cant do that with Alyx.

Can you see what i mean? She feels somewhat... empty. Although i dont want a character that throws their life at you in "the course of a few minutes" as you said, i'd like at least some solid background. Troughout the entire game, preferably.

Unless the game is Freud Ex: Therapy Revolution, where you must listen to your client's stories. Ha! That would suck.

Mindmute
4th Oct 2010, 17:40
If you compare Alyx from HL with Mona from Max Payne, you'll see that you could write a book about Mona's backstory. But you cant do that with Alyx.

Alright, I see where your opinion comes from, but I still think that they just fall under different styles of storytelling. One is more character-oriented, the other is more environment oriented. One type will always appeal to and interest some people more than another.

AlexOfSpades
4th Oct 2010, 17:44
Alright, I see where your opinion comes from, but I still think that they just fall under different styles of storytelling. One is more character-oriented, the other is more environment oriented. One type will always appeal to and interest some people more than another.

I see.

Well i cant deny the fact that i downloaded a naked version of Alyx anyways.

joke!

I downloaded the naked Gman.

Shralla
4th Oct 2010, 19:18
If you compare Alyx from HL with Mona from Max Payne, you'll see that you could write a book about Mona's backstory.

Maybe a book that's a couple paragraphs long. Unless you're including the second game, which I haven't gone through. In which case, that's not entirely fair, because Mona was practically the main character of that game. Of course she was more fleshed out.

But if we're talking about just the first game, no, Mona absolutely does not have more personality and story than Alyx.

St. Mellow
4th Oct 2010, 19:22
I downloaded the naked Gman.

That makes two of us. :p

IOOI
4th Oct 2010, 21:19
Your obsession with rope intrigues me. Please, tell me of all the things you long to do with this desirable lasso.

Essentially the grappling hook would be used to get onto unreacheable places or to create shortcuts. It would be somewhat similar to the rope arrow (http://thief.wikia.com/wiki/Rope_Arrow) from Thief (Hey EM! You could take a lesson from Thief). The grappling hook could be used to:

-Link two points: going from the top of a building to another at night.
-Climb/rappel onto some place or a window.
-Improvise an exit - for instance, you are on a high floor of a building and you look down through the stairwell and see some goons coming up after you. You could: a) attach one end of the rope to the railing and rappel quickly to the bottom of stairs avoiding confrontation with goons that were coming up; b) you could rappel down a window to the exterior of the building and avoid confrontation; c) you could try to get to the closest building with the help of the rope and avoid confrontation.

The important thing is that when the "hook" is fired, it should only be attached to static objects, it should not work with mobile/dynamic ones (vehicles, etc), if the player tried to do that the rope should snap after some seconds or the hook should detach itself. And the rope should only be secured onto context sensitive objects like railings or ledges (a little bit like R6V, but on a bigger scale. And in FP of course).

Of course from what I'm seeing devs are betting on a safe design, so this probably won't be in since they don't want to deal with "unforseen consequences" (bugs and glitches). A shame though, because there was this discussion a while ago about mixing the best of what sandbox and open-world had to offer (And I'm not talking about GTA huge cities. I'm talking about expanding the tools given to the player in order to expand gameplay.) and if done right it would be more appealing to new players.

Pinky_Powers
4th Oct 2010, 21:46
~wild and lustful musings~

Right, well, you've sold me. I can see how this could be used in Deus Ex to marvelous effect. :flowers:

IOOI
4th Oct 2010, 23:05
>_> Your answer was too short... *picks his nose and scratches his head*

Pinky_Powers
4th Oct 2010, 23:16
Sometimes the shorter response can hold more weight. :)

OwlSolar
5th Oct 2010, 03:51
Having more cinematics would not be my main choice for my Deus Ex game either. :p

Are you really this desperate to manage resources? Seriously, I would hate running out of grappling rope. That would quite possibly be the worst thing that could possibly happen to Batman (the character, not the game (well, maybe a little bit)).

In all seriousness though, I think your idea would actually be quite fun. Although I don't really want it in Deus Ex either.

pringlepower
5th Oct 2010, 04:13
Are you really this desperate to manage resources? Seriously, I would hate running out of grappling rope. That would quite possibly be the worst thing that could possibly happen to Batman (the character, not the game (well, maybe a little bit)).

In all seriousness though, I think your idea would actually be quite fun. Although I don't really want it in Deus Ex either.

It's okay. Batman's utility built is a localized hyperspace bubble, with infinite space. God the things he puts into those 2x2 inch pouches...

OwlSolar
5th Oct 2010, 05:23
Imagine having to carefully manage your Batarangs in Arkham Asylum.

pringlepower
5th Oct 2010, 05:41

Well if Batman stuck to actual boomerangs like in the 40s and 50s instead of going shuriken they'd just come back to me wouldn't they?

OwlSolar
5th Oct 2010, 23:29
He should just have them all be remote controlled.

beastosterone
6th Oct 2010, 15:55

I'm imagining it, and it seems quite enjoyable. What's your problem with it?

Shralla
6th Oct 2010, 19:38
I'm imagining it, and it seems quite enjoyable. What's your problem with it?

How about the fact that you're Batman, and you should never run out of anything unless it's necessary to further the plot?

beastosterone
7th Oct 2010, 00:53
Because it's a game???

How is that an excuse?

"Well because you're Geralt you should never die or lose because he never dies or loses in the books!"

Tverdyj
7th Oct 2010, 01:02
Because it's a game???

How is that an excuse?

"Well because you're Geralt you should never die or lose because he never dies or loses in the books!"

actually
Geralt is killed in the last book. it was only later Sapkowski aquiesced to fan requests and wrote "something is ending, something is beginning"--the sappy happy ending where Geralt and Yennifer finally get married. He later stated he regretted it. not that it's relevant here or anything

Shralla
7th Oct 2010, 02:22
Because it's a game???

How is that an excuse?

A game where you play as Batman, who is very specifically known for his unending supply of Batarangs.

Would you rather have to walk over and pick them up? Because that's the alternative, and that's pretty ******* stupid.

pringlepower
7th Oct 2010, 02:28
A game where you play as Batman, who is very specifically known for his unending supply of Batarangs.

Would you rather have to walk over and pick them up? Because that's the alternative, and that's pretty ******* stupid.

He wears his underpants over his pants and nobody notices. Batman isn't logical.

Pinky_Powers
7th Oct 2010, 02:49
He wears his underpants over his pants and nobody notices. Batman isn't logical.

He's the world's greatest detective. He's very logical. :rasp:

jcd3nt0n
10th Oct 2010, 18:00
???:mad:

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/3098/falsej.jpg (http://img225.imageshack.us/i/falsej.jpg/)

There's something wrong with these numbers! It should be like this!:mad2:

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/9733/truea.jpg (http://img181.imageshack.us/i/truea.jpg/)

Kodaemon
10th Oct 2010, 18:04
Eidos frequently had ridiculous commercial success expectations.

JCpies
10th Oct 2010, 19:19

His underpants over his pants are also made of kevlar.

And Pinky I though L Lawliet was the worlds greatest detective... (for those who know Death note) So many conflicting opinions.

Irate_Iguana
10th Oct 2010, 22:16
And Pinky I though L Lawliet was the worlds greatest detective... (for those who know Death note) So many conflicting opinions.

Hercule Poirot is the worlds greatest detective.

Slack
10th Oct 2010, 23:59
with an advertising you convince people to eat faeces =)

Jerion
11th Oct 2010, 01:08
Essentially the grappling hook would be used to get onto unreacheable places or to create shortcuts. It would be somewhat similar to the rope arrow (http://thief.wikia.com/wiki/Rope_Arrow) from Thief (Hey EM! You could take a lesson from Thief). The grappling hook could be used to:

-Link two points: going from the top of a building to another at night.
-Climb/rappel onto some place or a window.
-Improvise an exit - for instance, you are on a high floor of a building and you look down through the stairwell and see some goons coming up after you. You could: a) attach one end of the rope to the railing and rappel quickly to the bottom of stairs avoiding confrontation with goons that were coming up; b) you could rappel down a window to the exterior of the building and avoid confrontation; c) you could try to get to the closest building with the help of the rope and avoid confrontation.

The important thing is that when the "hook" is fired, it should only be attached to static objects, it should not work with mobile/dynamic ones (vehicles, etc), if the player tried to do that the rope should snap after some seconds or the hook should detach itself. And the rope should only be secured onto context sensitive objects like railings or ledges (a little bit like R6V, but on a bigger scale. And in FP of course).

Of course from what I'm seeing devs are betting on a safe design, so this probably won't be in since they don't want to deal with "unforseen consequences" (bugs and glitches). A shame though, because there was this discussion a while ago about mixing the best of what sandbox and open-world had to offer (And I'm not talking about GTA huge cities. I'm talking about expanding the tools given to the player in order to expand gameplay.) and if done right it would be more appealing to new players.

So...basically a first-person, slightly less stunt-worthy cousin to the Just Cause 2 Grappling hook then? Would make for a nifty Aug.

Facebyface
11th Oct 2010, 02:05
So...basically a first-person, slightly less stunt-worthy cousin to the Just Cause 2 Grappling hook then?

Or just, you know, a regular grappling hook.

I don't think he quite grasps how difficult it is to make a game with that sort of mechanic. He says "safe design", but really where's the fun if you can game break over every obstacle? It's incredibly difficult to design a game with a rappelling system and make it work well enough. Besides, Adam Jensen is weighed down by lots of guns and the fact all his limbs are metal doesn't help either. I don't think anything short of a 3 inch length of wound cable is going to support him. He's not like in Thief where the guy is using rather low down weaponry, the only reason he can carry this stuff is because he's super strong.

Jerion
11th Oct 2010, 03:32

I don't think he quite grasps how difficult it is to make a game with that sort of mechanic. He says "safe design", but really where's the fun if you can game break over every obstacle? It's incredibly difficult to design a game with a rappelling system and make it work well enough. Besides, Adam Jensen is weighed down by lots of guns and the fact all his limbs are metal doesn't help either. I don't think anything short of a 3 inch length of wound cable is going to support him. He's not like in Thief where the guy is using rather low down weaponry, the only reason he can carry this stuff is because he's super strong.

It introduces a plethora of level design problems to simply introduce a mechanic like that. Either you resort to invisible barriers of some sort or have to go full sandbox. Otherwise it's too easy to bypass obstacles or escape the map confines.

Interesting that most people on here think the game will sell very well or even extremely well.

NKD
11th Oct 2010, 03:57
Interesting that most people on here think the game will sell very well or even extremely well.

Doesn't really surprise me. Think about it like this: A lot of people here have the attitude that the worse a game is, the better it will sell. If a game sells poorly, that obviously meant it appealed to high-minded intellectuals and was a fantastic game that the public just "didn't get."

At least that's the idea. I don't subscribe to that particular viewpoint.

Facebyface
11th Oct 2010, 04:12
My thoughts on it lie in that the marketing alone drew me in to go find the forums. They really know how to make a game seem rather good and still slip in hints of subtlety into it. Also the pedigree is rather good. Like if I tell a friend about this game in detail they may consider it for a bit. If I tell them this was the development studio behind Batman: Arkham Asylum their curiosity will be peaked. Obviously I don't think that should be part of the advertising, but simple word of mouth can go a long way. They have all the components in place, we just have to wait for the January push.

Anasumtj
11th Oct 2010, 04:22
Doesn't really surprise me. Think about it like this: A lot of people here have the attitude that the worse a game is, the better it will sell. If a game sells poorly, that obviously meant it appealed to high-minded intellectuals and was a fantastic game that the public just "didn't get."

At least that's the idea. I don't subscribe to that particular viewpoint.

You couldn't be a bigger douche if you tried. At least that's the viewpoint I subscribe to.

Many people think HR will be a good game, but an inferior Deus Ex product. I've seen you posting for a while and I can't for the life of me imagine how you have yet to grasp this concept and insist with your BS misrepresentations.

Oh wait. Douche. Forgot that.

NKD
11th Oct 2010, 04:42
My thoughts on it lie in that the marketing alone drew me in to go find the forums. They really know how to make a game seem rather good and still slip in hints of subtlety into it. Also the pedigree is rather good. Like if I tell a friend about this game in detail they may consider it for a bit. If I tell them this was the development studio behind Batman: Arkham Asylum their curiosity will be peaked. Obviously I don't think that should be part of the advertising, but simple word of mouth can go a long way. They have all the components in place, we just have to wait for the January push.

They've done a pretty good job on advertising so far. I've gotten a lot of people excited just by showing them the cinematic trailer and the gameplay trailer from Hengsha. Doing my part to spread the word. Of course people always want to see more, but usually once you get your hooks in, they'll try your game when it comes out.

IOOI
11th Oct 2010, 05:29

Yes, kinda.

I don't think he quite grasps how difficult it is to make a game with that sort of mechanic.

Like having to conceive the game from the beggining with that in mind? Yes, I understand this because making a game is a design exercise.

He says "safe design", but really where's the fun if you can game break over every obstacle? It's incredibly difficult to design a game with a rappelling system and make it work well enough.

Of course there could be artificial limitations to rappeling like a height limit to what you can climb. Lets say that the hook shouldn't be able to attach itself to anything above 10 story high (like what I said before there could be some surfaces that don't allow the hook to attach).

Everything I'm saying is just wishful thinking so take it as it is.

Besides, Adam Jensen is weighed down by lots of guns and the fact all his limbs are metal doesn't help either. I don't think anything short of a 3 inch length of wound cable is going to support him. He's not like in Thief where the guy is using rather low down weaponry, the only reason he can carry this stuff is because he's super strong.

Ok, you are either kidding or... you are kidding. :nut:

It's like you're saying that a vector should have a correspondent thickness to real life rope and that there won't be cables as strong and flexible as spider's silk in the future.

It introduces a plethora of level design problems to simply introduce a mechanic like that. For a DX game Either you'd have to resort to invisible barriers of some sort or have to go full sandbox.

*fix*
Of course. I'm aware of that. ;)

Ashpolt
11th Oct 2010, 09:52

Hate to burst your bubble, but this isn't by the development studio behind Arkham Asylum. AA was developed by Rocksteady and published by Eidos. DXHR is being developed by Eidos Montreal, a new dev studio composed mostly of former Ubisoft staff, and being published by Eidos / Square Enix. So, yeah...if you've been telling your friends that this is the dev team behind AA, you've been lying to them.

Facebyface
11th Oct 2010, 13:20
Hate to burst your bubble, but this isn't by the development studio behind Arkham Asylum. AA was developed by Rocksteady and published by Eidos. DXHR is being developed by Eidos Montreal, a new dev studio composed mostly of former Ubisoft staff, and being published by Eidos / Square Enix. So, yeah...if you've been telling your friends that this is the dev team behind AA, you've been lying to them.

-hits self-

When you really think about it though, people just associate names with one another. Nintendo didn't develop Other M for example, but since it has the Nintendo (and Metroid) namesake people are going to want to buy it. Same with Duke Nukem Forever. I'm probably only interested in that because it's Gearbox. That's the basic idea though. Name to project by word of mouth equals good publicity among your friends.

Shralla
11th Oct 2010, 20:35
Square-Enix publishing this game makes it a lot easier to sell it to JRPG fans.

beastosterone
12th Oct 2010, 02:32
I'm a huge JRPG fan and that isn't making it an easier sell for me :\

FlyingDove
12th Oct 2010, 04:18
I am with those who say that DXHR will sell like most of the games out there. Even though Fallout 3 sold well, it is still unlikely for a franchise so unfamiliar to most people to succeed. The chances are very slim. Regardless, I think that other hybrid games in the future have a good chance of selling enough copies to earn themselves a profit.

JCpies
12th Oct 2010, 05:56
I am with those who say that DXHR will sell like most of the games out there. Even though Fallout 3 sold well, it is still unlikely for a franchise so unfamiliar to most people to succeed. The chances are very slim. Regardless, I think that other hybrid games in the future have a good chance of selling enough copies to earn themselves a profit.

Heard of Just cause 2? I have to admit, I didn't know about the original Just Cause, but the trailers, gameplay and interview persuaded me and some friends to get it, then it spread like wildfire.

beastosterone
12th Oct 2010, 06:02
The "original"? The games were like a year and a half a part, and on the same consoles.

Kodaemon
12th Oct 2010, 06:08
More like 4 years. Time flies.

JCpies
12th Oct 2010, 06:10
Basically, they invented advertising for a reason.

IOOI
26th Oct 2010, 20:57
@ OP

I'm anxioulsy waiting for the "GOTY Award" poll. :D

BigBoss
26th Oct 2010, 21:39
I think it has a solid chance of doing well. I don't think it has anything to do with how long ago the last entry in the franchise was, or even if people are getting bored of it. Perfect example; cod4. Who knew that they would just nail the fps formula, and make such a good campaign?(I hear fable 3 is getting good reviews even though the second one didn't deliver) As previously stated on here, fallout was a perfect example of an overdue entry, as was oblivion. I have maybe 2 friends who ever played morrowind. Point is, if it's really polished and properley executed, it will sell.

Pretentious Old Man.
26th Oct 2010, 22:22
Perfect example; cod4. Who knew that they would just nail the fps formula, and make such a good campaign?

I know, anyone would think CoDs 1 and 2 were runaway successes that largely dominated the PC multiplayer arena at that time, wouldn't they?

:D

BigBoss
26th Oct 2010, 23:02
I know, anyone would think CoDs 1 and 2 were runaway successes that largely dominated the PC multiplayer arena at that time, wouldn't they?

:D

I was talking about consoles. I remember cod1 was a big deal cuz it had like 32 mp right? but after 2, finest hour, big red one, and 3,(I think there were a few others) 4 just came out of nowhere in a completly new direction, and was a huge success

Rindill the Red
27th Oct 2010, 00:44
I was talking about consoles. I remember cod1 was a big deal cuz it had like 32 mp right? but after 2, finest hour, big red one, and 3,(I think there were a few others) 4 just came out of nowhere in a completly new direction, and was a huge success

If there is one thing I have to give to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, it's nailing console fps controls right on the head... no game feels better or more natural with a controller.

BigBoss
27th Oct 2010, 03:19
If there is one thing I have to give to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, it's nailing console fps controls right on the head... no game feels better or more natural with a controller.

Yeah, I really hope dxhr gets that right, but the switching between first and third might make those transitioal seconds tough in a firefight. That's the one problem I had with games that used the Rainbow six vegas mechanic(even sometimes in that game as well), no matter how well you were shooting before and after the camera switch, that like 1 1/2 crucial second in between was tough to keep the target ESPECIALLY if you hit a glitch in the cover system where you keep jumping to and fro.....then it's just chaos with the reticle until you die.

Alai
27th Oct 2010, 18:26
I don't think it'll be all that huge in terms of commercial success. The original was the same way. Many commercially successful games tend to cater to everyone, while Deus Ex is just not that way.

There's also a pretty strange theory about the name of the franchise. Some people just won't buy games with titles that they cannot pronounce. It's proven in movie industries. People don't seem to want to or maybe embarrassed about having to say the name wrong about the game or a movie that they've seen.

I even remember a movie that came out and the name of the movie changed after being in the theater for about two weeks. It was Renaissance Man, with Danny Devito. I was working in the box office, and had some hilarious instances because people could not say the word. As they try to buy tickets, said things like "the short guy" "army movie" "rain man 2". Was in the theater for two weeks, and then disappeared, and then showed up again with it retitled "By the Book".

Rindill the Red
27th Oct 2010, 20:34
I don't think it'll be all that huge in terms of commercial success. The original was the same way. Many commercially successful games tend to cater to everyone, while Deus Ex is just not that way.

There's also a pretty strange theory about the name of the franchise. Some people just won't buy games with titles that they cannot pronounce. It's proven in movie industries. People don't seem to want to or maybe embarrassed about having to say the name wrong about the game or a movie that they've seen.

I even remember a movie that came out and the name of the movie changed after being in the theater for about two weeks. It was Renaissance Man, with Danny Devito. I was working in the box office, and had some hilarious instances because people could not say the word. As they try to buy tickets, said things like "the short guy" "army movie" "rain man 2". Was in the theater for two weeks, and then disappeared, and then showed up again with it retitled "By the Book".

Maybe when Squeenix and Eidos run TV commercials they should use the name as much as possible... which could be used in some very interesting ways... (That Call of Duty: Modern Warfare commercial comes to mind.)

I think Deus Ex: Human Revolution is going to be a huge success on the PC among hardcore gamers.

I also think Squeenix and Eidos have built up enough hype for it to sell well on consoles, and by avoiding the holiday cram they won't have as much competition.

Ikalx
27th Oct 2010, 23:46
I guess the real question is, do you want it to be overanticipated and a disappointment, or underanticipated and a legend of gaming?

It's a shame the latter option means any subsequent games are less likely (and not least that good work is poorly rewarded), but I can't speculate on whether this is going to be a game that lives up to its hype. I would love that to be so, but odds are..

avenging_teabag
28th Oct 2010, 10:54
I guess the real question is, do you want it to be overanticipated and a disappointment, or underanticipated and a legend of gaming?
No reason why it can't be both - a highly anticipated game and a huge success. It's possible.

Pretentious Old Man.
28th Oct 2010, 12:39

Quite the reverse, CoD 1 and 2 were a big deal because they were the first truly "casual" shooters on the PC, in that they neither required "twitch" brilliance like counterstrike, Doom, Quake, etc, or massive amounts of tactical know-how like OpFlash or Hidden and Dangerous. Admittedly games like Halo did this on console before CoD did, but all CoD did was popularise this formula of 30fps run and gun gameplay on consoles.

In conclusion then: CoD was a cancer long before it came to consoles. (indeed, even before this gen of consoles)

Ikalx
28th Oct 2010, 12:59
No reason why it can't be both - a highly anticipated game and a huge success. It's possible.

Shh! Don't tell me that or i'll expect too much! :p

The best way to ensure a success is to market the game conservatively (in Deus Ex's case it's probably the "only tell people it's coming out" approach), and then let people be attracted by all the elements the game has. A game like Deus Ex could easily just rely on it's fanbase and rake in money forever, but for it to be seen as successful, it would need not to blow it's own trumpet too much.

Deus Ex: Invisible War is simply not enough of a failure for people to stop believing in the brand, and because Human Revolution was such a long time coming, many people will assume a lot of time, consideration and effort has gone into it. I think that if you told people who played the original Deus Ex that a new game was coming out, at least 85% would be interested. With those kinds of numbers, you literally just have to tell people the product is out, make the packaging attractive and sit back.

Of course, if you made it cost slightly less than most new releases, you'd also sell out pretty fast.