PDA

View Full Version : A Different Ending for Gunther

AlexOfSpades
25th Sep 2010, 17:32
LONG TEXT if you're not able to read then leave

I posted this on another thread, but then i thought it was too big and somewhat deserved its own thread.

The story below describes my take on what should happen with Gunther. Maybe that could even end up being a game just for him ~ I doubt that anyone will read, but... there it goes:

Not even the soft carpet is able to withstand his heavy steps, as he walks inside the small office room.

Manderley looks to him with an annoyed expression, frowning his eyebrows in impatience. Under his white goatee, his lips move, mumbling:

"Yes, agent Hermann?"

"I'd like to know the process on my skull gun development. They're needed if you want me to take down the Dentons." - Says the tall and bulky Gunther, with his low pitched voice and german accent.

Manderley sighs and almost rolls his eyes.

"Its done when its done, agent Hermann. I'm busy. Is that all?"

"Uhm... yes, sir."

He turns his back and leaves the office room. Stress levels increasing on his modified thick blood.

The telephone on Manderley's desk rings. It's his secretary.

"What Gunther wanted, baby?"

"Just piss my ass. After Walton Simons gave him that bluff, he's asking for that skull thing everyday."

"Well i can see that he went away already... May i come in...? "

"Of course sweetie."

Manderley takes off his wedding ring and puts it inside the tuxedo's pocket, grabbing a condom soon after.

Gunther goes down the corridor in a clumsy walk. He's not deaf. He could listen to what Manderley says after he leaves, day after day. Everyday, the same thing.
Some of the maintenance's staff are having a snack over the table on the corner as he walks in the small kitchen. He stares the soda machine. He knows what will happen, knows it so well that he almost grabs a grapefruit soda instead.

As his thick metal finger touches the Orange button, the machine dispenser makes a low bang and.. nothing happens. The maintenance staff stops chatting and stares, savouring the moment.

He presses again the button, expecting a lemon lime can to go out as usual. Instead, many orange soda cans come out of the machine in such force that one of them hit his bulletproof chin, making a metallic noise. He sighs and grabs one of the cans, then, from the floor, after the hit. The group of men over the table try to contain the laugh, just making it even more obvious.

Laughing at you, Gunther. At you.

The voice in his mind says. His hormonally-grown super heart beats four times stronger than the standard human heart. But that doesnt change the sadness that comes out of it. The humiliation and rejection.

The orange soda can is reduced to a thin sheet of aluminum as he smashes it in anger, soda dripping on the floor.

He can't take it anymore.

Back to his own office room, he sits by the chair. "Damn, i need a cig" - he thinks.

He remembers how good it was to smoke and relax.

He remembers how it felt, when he smoked to make the sadness go away. Before the surgeries. Before UNATCO. When he arrived at home, a proud german soldier back from the Third Korean war. He had survived the war that most of his friends did not. And there was his wife, on the bed with another man, kissing him like she never did with Gunther.

The same humiliation and rejection.

But back then, he could smoke to make it go away.

Now, after he left everything behind, after the surgeries, not even the cigarrettes can calm him down. His lungs, able to breath even underwater, are immune to the effects.

Even the cigarrette rejects you, Gunther.

The voice in his mind, again.

As he remember the tragic events during the war, and after it, with his wife, all the bad memories come back again, falling like a storm, where each drop of water is a tear contained by his mechanical eyes.

How he came back to hug his daughter on the playground, but she cried and ran away. She didnt recognized him.

He wasnt the same man anymore. He was a machine, a clumsy statue of metal. What's the point in being bulletproof - if the words can still hurt you? No kevlar or titanium holds the rejection of his wife and daughter.

As he covers his face with his hands, he wishes deeply he could cry. But they took away that feature from him. It wasnt enough to take away his appearance. They had to take even his lacrimal glands.

No reason in having heat vision, when everyone is cold at you. No reason in having arms strong enough to lift a car, if they cannot even hug a person anymore.

He's alone. Obsolete. Left behind.

A nuisance to everyone that ever met him. And now, after throwing away his past and appearance, UNATCO leaves him behind too.

He's merely a metal puppet.

As he opens again the plans of his own body in the computer, a full list of all his augmentations are there. He recognizes each one of them, but one on the back of his neck. A KP117 Transceiver. He checks it on the internet.

KP117 Governmental Soldier Control, Kill Phrase Explosive.

That's it.

He stares at his battle knife. He could shove it into his carotid. On his wrist.

He could euthanize himself and end his sadness.

But he could do something better. He could do that to those that make him sad.

As all his sadness becomes anger, all the storm of tears become a rain of fire, his heart is engulfed in the flames of hate. He gets up from the chair, staring at the man in the room just ahead.

Sam Carter looks to Gunther. "Are you okay, Gunther? You look-"

Grabbing him from his neck and lifting him just with one hand, Gunther almost growls in berserk. "Get outta my way!!!"

He throws Sam Carter in the air and kicks him straight with such strength that he flies across the corridor, shoving his head against the water filter just ahead, in the living room. The plastic tube with the water breaks as Sam's face penetrates it. The water soon becomes red.

"What the f***!?" - one of the UNATCO soldier's scream as he sees the dead body. His hands soon reach his Assault Rifle. What the heck was happening?!

Gunther comes out of Sam Carter's room, holding two sniper rifles, each one in a hand. A straight 30.06 shot right on the UNATCO's soldier groin, and another on his head. Could that be a double headshot? The mechanical man proceeds his charge of fury, running upstairs and shooting anyone on his way with his dual-wielding rifles.

The secretary gets back to her chair, adjusting the dress. "Well well, Manderley's still on shape!" - She thinks.

It was probably her last thought, as a heavymetal foot goes through the door, taking it down instantly. She screams as Gunther comes in, shoving one of the sniper rifles inside her mouth. The barrel goes down, perforating her organs so deep that the trigger almost touches her chin. He presses it, firing the rifle deep inside her body like if she was a roasted pig. A splat of blood, feces and guts paints the wall behind.

As he enters Manderley's office, Walton Simons is on the holographical projector. "Another four billion dollars down the drain.." says his cold voice.

Manderley stares at Gunther - the 800 kg, 2m tall cyborg covered in blood.

"What... uh, Hermann! Hermann, no, dont! Please! I can do anything you want, uh, i.. i can give you any augmentation you want!"

He throws the second sniper rifle against the holographic projector, breaking it and turning Simon's transmission off.

" Anything, Hermann! I can give you five hundred thousand dollars! Anything!"

Gunther stares at the fragile old man just ahead of him, trying to bargain for his life. He kicks the table, breaking it in two halves.

" Oh my god... Herman... i'm sorry... but... uh, LAPUTAN MACHINE!"

Gunther just stares at the pathethic man.

" I... am... not..."

And then, rips off the kill phrase explosive from his neck.

"... A MACHINE!!!!"

And then throws it against Manderley himself, the explosion reducing his old body to bloody stumps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A wooden door closes behind the tall bulky man in an leather jacket. The inscription on the door reads: "Tong".

The bulky man looks on his pocket mirror. The new synthethic skin covering his face and arms. He's not a metal machine anymore, after the new surgery.

He leaves to Hong Kong's market.

What do you think? Its non-canon. But i rather it, than JC taking him down.

TrickyVein
25th Sep 2010, 17:40
wall of text no good can't read

Farouk
25th Sep 2010, 20:21
I always loved Gunther and Anna for the kind of weakness they do possess. But I don't want one of them to turn into a caricature of a retardedly pathetic school shooting guy.
Getting mechanically augmented was Gunther's choice and now he blames everyone, literally everyone, except for himself for his alienation. And that although neither in Deus Ex nor in your writing he seems to have even the slightest trace of a narcissistic personality disorder, which is one of the very few things that might help to explain such irrational crappy behaviour.

AlexOfSpades
25th Sep 2010, 20:47
I always loved Gunther and Anna for the kind of weakness they do possess. But I don't want one of them to turn into a caricature of a retardedly pathetic school shooting guy.
Getting mechanically augmented was Gunther's choice and now he blames everyone, literally everyone, except for himself for his alienation. And that although neither in Deus Ex nor in your writing he seems to have even the slightest trace of a narcissistic personality disorder, which is one of the very few things that might help to explain such irrational crappy behaviour.

They never properly explained how he ended up like that.

Slack
25th Sep 2010, 20:54
very very very nice in my opinion. The discuss about how far a augmentation can modify us without taking our humanity is cool. And what is to be a human? It's only have a mind of a human? If I have a body of human and not a mind of a human, it makes me human?

AlexOfSpades
25th Sep 2010, 21:20
very very very nice in my opinion. The discuss about how far a augmentation can modify us without taking our humanity is cool. And what is to be a human? It's only have a mind of a human? If I have a body of human and not a mind of a human, it makes me human?

Thanks for understanding the text C:

After reading those messages in Gunther's computer, you can see how bad he feels.

Imagine to be unable to enter a bank or an airport without raising all the alarms.

Is he truly happy, being a killing machine?

Or is it just a mask, to hide his regret from his battle brothers?

Corpus
25th Sep 2010, 22:10
The explosive device is located in his chest just so you know.

AlexOfSpades
25th Sep 2010, 22:17
The explosive device is located in his chest just so you know.

I realized that after writing it.

But then it would ruin the stylish ending.

Corpus
25th Sep 2010, 22:35
Not sure why you needed to include the generic "boss bangs his secretary" bit in there, especially since Manderely is 50 or over and Janice isn't exactly the type.

Remington
25th Sep 2010, 22:48
This story is somewhat twisted. Disturbing enough that I'm afraid it reflects upon its author...
I mean, it's so grim...
EDIT: Would you ever imagine such a thing happening to Ahnold? After all, he's the guy this character is based on.

But yeah, a Gunther game would be nice.

Decay
25th Sep 2010, 23:16
I enjoyed your story, totally new look on Gunther's life and role he played in game. I like both cyborgs - Anna and Gunther, so maybe you could write something about Anna. As far as i remeber she used to work in NATO structures, as a non-aug soldier - so that part could be interesting. But about story itself - at the beginning I thought it would be a simple drama, but after reading a few sentences it turned into good, short novel about a tough cyborg's life - and I liked it.

Hammich
26th Sep 2010, 01:13
I enjoyed the bits about the rejection and hurt Gunther felt. Not so much the condoms and fecal shooting rampages though.

Angel-A
26th Sep 2010, 01:39
Interesting read. I must say, you don't have fantastic grammar. Also, some of the composition/wording could be improved.

On the story, Iiiiiiiii'm not sure it fits Gunther to viciously kill all his co-workers because... Huh?
Well, Gunther's angst in-game was because he felt like he was both becoming useless like an outdated machine (need more augs to have worth) and losing his humanity because of how drastic his augmentations became (more augs make it worse for him).
Anna's death was so jarring to him because she was the only other mech around and probably the only one he felt could understand. So, he doesn't get his skulgun and he goes insane? Ehm, the source of his rage was more like how J.C. didn't have to become disfigured to have augs, and he felt like J.C. was really his replacement. Oh, and J.C. later betrayed UNATCO and killed his good friend Anna.
And, yeah, the explosive does not go in his neck (What? And ruin the plot? :p )

P.S. Manderly and Janice
http://www.deviantart.com/download/167797314/You_are_Doomed_by_kv_Angel_A.png times 94769813432963749156082

Remington
26th Sep 2010, 01:43
lol @ double-Denton-facepalm

Angel-A
26th Sep 2010, 01:47
lol @ double-Denton-facepalm

Double facepalm.
SO INTENSE.

AlexOfSpades
26th Sep 2010, 01:56
Your post, Angel-A, is more interesting than my thread.

I'm thankful for all of your opinions.

Sorry for the english though, its not my native language.

):

Cronstintein
26th Sep 2010, 04:36
Sorry, not feeling patient enough for the OP but that double Denton facepalm = pure win.

AlexOfSpades
26th Sep 2010, 04:42
Angel A is a little genius.

IdiotInAJeep
26th Sep 2010, 09:22
P.S. Manderly and Janice
http://www.deviantart.com/download/167797314/You_are_Doomed_by_kv_Angel_A.png times 94769813432963749156082

Rule 34 in action.:eek:

Hammich
26th Sep 2010, 10:44
In a rage Gunther took JC's precious pot plant and hurled it against the wall

Grimesy
29th Sep 2010, 03:44
Almost had me cryin' there, with the daughter-thing, having two of my own...
I would probably kill myself if they'd shut me out of their lives...

The secretary-thing should not be in there, unless they'd be doin it when Gunther returned...
Otherwise, like it... Thumbs up

zombieturtle01
29th Sep 2010, 06:09
Epilogue

Gunther:
"JC! JC! I dont vant to hurt you anymoar! I shoved zee barrol of a sniper riffell into the secretariez mouth and shot her anus out JC!"

JC Denton: "Suree"

Ninjerk
29th Sep 2010, 06:10
Is this a joke?

Angel-A
29th Sep 2010, 06:15
Epilogue

Gunther:
"JC! JC! I dont vant to hurt you anymoar! I shoved zee barrol of a sniper riffell into the secretariez mouth and shot her anus out JC!"

JC Denton: "Suree"
No, this.

C0U7OUtRvXM

Dead-Eye
29th Sep 2010, 11:37
^^ WTF was that! :lmao:

AlexOfSpades
29th Sep 2010, 15:12
Almost had me cryin' there, with the daughter-thing, having two of my own...
I would probably kill myself if they'd shut me out of their lives...

The secretary-thing should not be in there, unless they'd be doin it when Gunther returned...
Otherwise, like it... Thumbs up

Thank you! I guess that only with empathy you can really understand that sad part. Thank you for reading c:

About the violent part, well, it was gory and unnecessary as it seems.

No, this.

(Audiosurf song)

Angel, i thought you couldnt make me laugh more than with that last facepalm post, but you did.

The Tong part just killed me!

Angel-A
30th Sep 2010, 00:18
^^ WTF was that! :lmao:
It's scary how perfectly in fits in the thread.

Angel, i thought you couldnt make me laugh more than with that last facepalm post, but you did.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n202/Starsiege_/The-Powuh-of-JC.png

hem dazon 90
30th Sep 2010, 00:39
Rule 34 in action.:eek:

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:llDwdJB7LD7bYM:http://ohellnawlblog.com/newohnblog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/choke.jpg&t=1

I find you lack of meme knowledge disturbing

pringlepower
30th Sep 2010, 02:57
No, this.

C0U7OUtRvXM

How.. Why.. What.. Who..?