PDA

View Full Version : Prequel?

jamesthefishy
24th Sep 2010, 07:43
I don't know about you guys but I see a major issue with this being a prequel. like all the tech and stuff looks better than what it was in the first one, as well as the second one. It kind of seems like the same issue as the new star trek reboot, you look at the old Star Trek original series and its all CRT screens and candescent lights and the reboot uses things like nokia cell phones and beer from todays era. Which in star treks case makes no sense but it seems like the same issue is happening with dues ex. with dues ex 1 using what now seems like old guns and dues ex 3 uses better weapons which seems to me like higher tech.

My question is; is this an issue for others?

Kodaemon
24th Sep 2010, 07:46
Been discussed to death already. Use the search function.

jamesthefishy
24th Sep 2010, 07:50
perhaps i just wanted to start a new thread, to see the current standing on it?

jtr7
24th Sep 2010, 08:16
Same as the old standing.

Mindmute
24th Sep 2010, 08:55
perhaps i just wanted to start a new thread, to see the current standing on it?

Still, nothing stopped you from just bumping the old thread, asking for new opinions but, either way not to be too harsh, here's mine:

Some things feel a lot more advanced than they should be considering the tech present in DX, however you have to put into perspective that it's ten year old aesthetics vs 2009/2010 ones, they didn't have the ability back then on that engine to make things look more polished than end result anyway. Half of why it all looks somewhat "backwards" came from that.

The graphic designers will always have their own interpretation of things aswell, the whole graphic team was never going to make simply a remodel and retexture of DX, so this was a reality I was well ready for beforehand.

The things that do bug me as too advanced aren't even in the looks department (where some people were stating their complaints back then). My major gripe from what we've seen so far lies with the neural interface the hacker uses on the trailer and the Icarus Landing System. If that tech once existed why had it been completely discontinued by the 2050s with no hints of it ever existing?

mad825
24th Sep 2010, 10:06
It's really an personal opinion whether or not you like reboots, and yes this is a reboot as in they are mainly aiming at new(er) audiences rather than doing their best to keep the fan base

AaronJ
24th Sep 2010, 10:42
You can't expect the art designers to be locked in a creative box, making earlier versions of technology in the universe of a game from 2000.

Pinky_Powers
24th Sep 2010, 11:01
Yeah, it's a reboot in the sense they really wanted the freedom to make something visually powerful and distinct. The concepts are still very cyberpunk, and the timeline takes place before the collapse that was Deus Ex's backdrop. But you have all these anchors to the original game like Tong, Manderley, the Illuminati, and the general emphisis on secret powers and conspiracy. :)

I'm very forgiving of the disparity because the design work is so stellar, and you still get that wonderful dark, gritty and mysterious feel from the stuff we've seen.
But most of my generosity is due to what we know of the gameplay; Over-all, I'm quite happy with it, with a few exceptions.

Bluey71
24th Sep 2010, 11:04
and yes this is a reboot as in they are mainly aiming at new(er) audiences rather than doing their best to keep the fan base

Hence why me and many others have questioned the use of the term DX3 - now changed to DX:HR. As it stands, they could go ahead and market this as a game set in the DX universe and not relate it to the first game at all which would perhaps have been a better idea from the start.

mad825
24th Sep 2010, 11:40
You can't expect the art designers to be locked in a creative box, making earlier versions of technology in the universe of a game from 2000.

no I cant, but they choose to advertise the game as a Prequel therefore if they cannot be bother to keep-in line with the plot/story/tech then they could have saved alot of effort by renaming DX:HR to something completely different and unrelated.

This game in particular has no need to be called "Deus Ex" other than :)$$$:) reasons, creating a "new" IP then claiming that this "new" IP is based off the Deus Ex franchise might've been more polite.

Pinky_Powers
24th Sep 2010, 12:13
no I cant, but they choose to advertise the game as a Prequel therefore if they cannot be bother to keep-in line with the plot/story/tech then they could have saved alot of effort by renaming DX:HR to something completely different and unrelated.

This game in particular has no need to be called "Deus Ex" other than :)$$$:) reasons, creating a "new" IP then claiming that this "new" IP is based off the Deus Ex franchise might've been more polite.

Woh woh woh. Settle the f**k down. Not in line with plot or story? How do you know?

This is what we actually know on that subject:

Oh, hi.

This is from Mary DeMarle:

"Not only have we heard about the Deus Ex bible -- it was also required reading before we began work on the story concept for Human Revolution. After reading it, we spent several months filling in some of the blanks in its timeline and history in order to create the characters, companies, cities, and world events that exist in 2027. Whenever we had questions about specific details, we conferred with Sheldon Pacotti to make sure that our new concepts could be as accurate as possible."

And as for tech, you sorry tosser, the important Deus Ex-specific tech is still very much in-line with time. Mechanically Augmented people are in, Nano Augs are just a distant dream.

"Check yourself before you wreck yourself!"

^...I just watched the trailer for Due Date.

NKD
24th Sep 2010, 12:18
It's really an personal opinion whether or not you like reboots, and yes this is a reboot as in they are mainly aiming at new(er) audiences rather than doing their best to keep the fan base

Er, that's not what a reboot is. As far as we know, it will tie in directly with the existing Deus Ex story. Unless you're tossing out everything that came after, it's not a reboot. They may do that, but they haven't said so. A reboot is like last years Star Trek movie, or the recent Battlestar Galactica.

For example, Star Trek TNG and ST: Enterprise took place after, and before the original series respectively. They were designed to bring that franchise to new audiences, but no one would call them a reboot. They exist firmly within the prime timeline.

Anyway, as to the tech seeming more advanced and so on, it's just par for the course with prequels. There's simply a lot of stuff they couldn't do with the tech available at the time when developing the original game. So everything is going to look a lot more flashy now. But there's a convenient out in the Deus Ex story to explain it. Mech augs were much more "out there" in terms of what they did to their bodies. Their augs were far more military and a lot less subtle, and far less advanced from a pure tech standpoint. Obviously there were drawbacks to the tech as it was phased out in favor of the Denton prototypes.

AxiomaticBadger
24th Sep 2010, 12:52
-edit- Ok, NKD said it much better than I did. I really have to stop taking two hours per post.

My major gripe from what we've seen so far lies with the neural interface the hacker uses on the trailer and the Icarus Landing System. If that tech once existed why had it been completely discontinued by the 2050s with no hints of it ever existing?When's the last time you saw an 8-track tape?

Mindmute
24th Sep 2010, 13:29
When's the last time you saw an 8-track tape?

That's an obsolete technology that offers no advantages compared to today's storage systems.
Show me in DX some type of data input that makes that neural interface obsolete or some sort of technology even remotely like the Icarus Landing System and I'll grant you this arguement.

We're not talking about technology becoming obsolete here, we're talking about it being more advanced than it's counterparts 30 years in the future.

WildcatPhoenix
24th Sep 2010, 13:31
-edit- Ok, NKD said it much better than I did. I really have to stop taking two hours per post.
When's the last time you saw an 8-track tape?

Swing and a miss, Badger.

He's saying the neural interface and the Icarus landing system are far more advanced technology than what JC Denton has available almost 30 years later. 8 tracks aren't more advanced than cassettes or compact discs; thus, they have been discontinued.

AxiomaticBadger
24th Sep 2010, 13:39
Ok, When's the last time we say JC use a keyboard? He could simply have a wireless interface. Or DNIs might have been discontinued after it was discovered that evil men can use them to hack into your brain.

And the icarus?
Firstly it seems to be an alternative for the parachute: there's no solid reason for any of the characters in DE to have it.
Secondly JC and Alex both use nanotech, there's no guarantee that the technology is compatible with nanotech.
Finally, the run fast aug has reduced falling damage built in. Icarus is incorporated and therefor obsolete as a distinct technology.

Pinky_Powers
24th Sep 2010, 13:43
That's an obsolete technology that offers no advantages compared to today's storage systems.
Show me in DX some type of data input that makes that neural interface obsolete or some sort of technology even remotely like the Icarus Landing System and I'll grant you this arguement.

We're not talking about technology becoming obsolete here, we're talking about it being more advanced than it's counterparts 30 years in the future.

Why do call it more advanced? It's different, but even Gunther was hooked up to a neural network that fed into your InfoLink. How many times did he beam himself into your brain, even when he was in the field and didn't have external hardware with him?

If you care to pay attention, accessing a regular old computer was still done with typing in the footage we've seen. So it's not like your average computer requires you to plug your brain in.

Now, what's with your obsession of the Icarus Landing System? How is this some super-advanced technology that breaks continuity in important and consequential ways? A discharge that stuns people? We have that that now!!! "We have the technology!" And I imagine it would require far less power then generating a cloak-field. :eek:

Mindmute
24th Sep 2010, 13:50
Ok, When's the last time we say JC use a keyboard? He could simply have a wireless interface. Or DNIs might have been discontinued after it was discovered that evil men can use them to hack into your brain.

And the icarus?
Firstly it seems to be an alternative for the parachute: there's no solid reason for any of the characters in DE to have it.
Secondly JC and Alex both use nanotech, there's no guarantee that the technology is compatible with nanotech.
Finally, the run fast aug has reduced falling damage built in. Icarus is incorporated and therefor obsolete as a distinct technology.

Firstly, all of the computers we've seen in DX had a keyboard interface bellow the screen and I'd imagine a UI for a neural interface wouldn't require buttons or command prompts like the security pannel's or the computer's login. Since your point is that we're both running on an assumption about the game, it's easier to assume something we've actually seen being supported by the hardware in the game, rather than something that could exist.

Hardly obsolete, considering one'd still apply stress to your legs, while the other actually provides a soft landing. They're two different systems that serve a similar purpose, not an advancement of the previous one. We've also seen a few mech-augs and a quite few people sporting power-armour, how would something like not be standard issue by now if it was available and useful 30 years in the past?

It's a lot safer to assume something that we've actually seen evidence for rather than "could have beens", what if they presented hover-cars on some highway next? Would you suggest that despite the wrecked cars we've seen in Hell's Kitchen had wheels, that they could also hover?

Now, what's with your obsession of the Icarus Landing System? How is this some super-advanced technology that breaks continuity in important and consequential ways? A discharge that stuns people? We have that that now!!! "We have the technology!" And I imagine it would require far less power then generating a cloak-field. :eek:

A discharge that stuns people? Nah, look at the trailers and you can notice it's actually a discharge that reduces your falling speed dramatically.

The Monochrome Man
24th Sep 2010, 13:51

We don't know that the ILS was obsolete - we just never saw one being used. Consider that the only mechs we saw were the bartender, Anna, and Gunther, and the (w)MIBs and that we never really saw them in a situation that called for something like the ILS.
That said, JC had a different system available that served the same purpose - but without the big flashy 'hey, here I am!' lightshow and presumably with a lower power requirement. Never jumped off the roof of the NSF base?
If the ILS was obsoleted, it was probably replaced with something closer to what JC had that wouldn't really stick out much.

Can't say much about the Neural interface. JC had one, but from what we saw it didn't connect externally except via his wireless. That said, we don't know what the mechs had. There's also the possibility of something like this being heavily restricted, simply becoming unpopular, or even being outlawed if it leaves people as vulnerable as the hacker in the trailer - it's one thing to have a computer rooted, but people wouldn't really stand for having their bodies or minds hacked out from under them.

Mindmute
24th Sep 2010, 14:04
To clear it up, Badger, I understand your points and I don't completely disagree, I just think that the phrase "it could exist even if we never saw it" leaves a lot of room for outlandish stuff that could end up detracting from the game simply to fill up the "cool-quota".
The rocketeer thing, for me, is another good example of that. I hope there's some context the story'll offer to justify that rather than some other method of transportation.

Pinky_Powers
24th Sep 2010, 14:14
A discharge that stuns people? Nah, look at the trailers and you can notice it's actually a discharge that reduces your falling speed dramatically.

Ah, I just thought he had strong legs that could take the impact. And then the ball of the discharge was for stunning people who might be near at hand.
But I watch it, and it certainly seems to slow him down. You are right.

I still have to stress how insignificant these little things are. We are dealing with a reboot here. A number of things have been updated, but the the important intellectual and philosophical concepts are still very much in-line. We're still dealing with the first wave of Mechanical Augs. It's still an eyesore (though less so than in DX). This is a time and technology that the old lore barely even touches on. There is a lot of room for creativity here. There's no reason to take these little updates sorely.

Mindmute
24th Sep 2010, 14:20
I still have to stress how insignificant these little things are. We are dealing with a reboot here. A number of things have been updated, but the the important intellectual and philosophical concepts are still very much in-line. We're still dealing with the first wave of Mechanical Augs. It's still an eyesore (though less so than in DX). This is a time and technology that the old lore barely even touches on. There is a lot of room for creativity here. There's no reason to take these little updates sorely.

I foresaw your comment and posted my opinion on it while you were making your post!

I don't completely disagree, I just think that the phrase "it could exist even if we never saw it" leaves a lot of room for outlandish stuff that could end up detracting from the game simply to fill up the "cool-quota".
The rocketeer thing, for me, is another good example of that. I hope there's some context the story'll offer to justify that rather than some other method of transportation.

I'll gladly accept any new concept that's done right, even if it breaks the continuity of DX tech (frankly, DX's tech was too backwards for the 2050s), I'm just afraid of when it goes bad...

Pinky_Powers
24th Sep 2010, 14:37
I foresaw your comment and posted my opinion on it while you were making your post!

http://www.viruete.com/victimas_del_guion/vg-jp.jpg
"Clever girl!" ...or boy, for that matter. :)

AxiomaticBadger
24th Sep 2010, 14:37
Firstly, all of the computers we've seen in DX had a keyboard interface bellow the screen and I'd imagine a UI for a neural interface wouldn't require buttons or command prompts like the security pannel's or the computer's login.True, but if you want to make it usable for everyone then there has to be an IO device for people without DNIs.
JC having a wireless DNI would be a good reason for why his on-board ICE breaker can access external hardware.

I don't completely disagree, I just think that the phrase "it could exist even if we never saw it" leaves a lot of room for outlandish stuff that could end up detracting from the game simply to fill up the "cool-quota".No argument there. Could being the important word.

Kodaemon
24th Sep 2010, 15:10

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/5571/chasm.jpg

Dead-Eye
24th Sep 2010, 18:26
^^lol.

The things that do bug me as too advanced aren't even in the looks department (where some people were stating their complaints back then). My major gripe from what we've seen so far lies with the neural interface the hacker uses on the trailer and the Icarus Landing System. If that tech once existed why had it been completely discontinued by the 2050s with no hints of it ever existing?
I like to pretend that they just hadn't ported it over to nano-augs yet in 2052. Remember JC's stuff was still in bata.

We don't know that the ILS was obsolete - we just never saw one being used. Consider that the only mechs we saw were the bartender, Anna, and Gunther, and the (w)MIBs and that we never really saw them in a situation that called for something like the ILS..
Congruity error here: MIBs are not mechs. They are modified with drugs that, I would imagine, use nanotechnology to carryout non-invasive surgery.

...why his on-board ICE breaker can access external hardware.
I always thought that JC made ICE and put it on a CD or something. However this makes more sense because if you let the hack bar go to zero the computer will zap all you're bio-electrical energy away. So in a way this technology is more advanced in 2050's because JC can do all this stuff wirelessly with his brain.

In regards to the OP the one thing that I would like to bring up is the clocking mod. How do Mechs have the ability to clock if nanotechnology isn't involved? This isn't so much a problem with Human Revaluation because Anna has clock in the original game too. But the only way for this to work is with clouds of nanomachines relaying imagery from one side of a surface to another. Is it that all mechanically augmented people have nanomachines in them? If so, then why are they a mechanical nightmare? If they have nanomachines shouldn't they self repair?

IOOI
24th Sep 2010, 18:33

Unless you go retro.

TrickyVein
24th Sep 2010, 20:13
^^ Now there's an idea.

Every once in a while, but not so recently, some modder comes out with a map for UT3 that looks, feels, and plays like it were solidly placed in the early 2000's (for UT classic), without sacrificing the visuals.

Delever
24th Sep 2010, 20:56
It is impossible to portray future technology. We can do as much as make it 'better than now'. It looks as if portrayal of future technology changes based on current technology. I, for one, don't see that as a bad thing - if it is consistent in single release (movie or video game).

When one starts a completely new game for the first time, he is ready to accept game world as creators designed it. It is "please fool me consistently" attitude. It is necessary to create new, unseen enjoyable things. Sequels or prequels have a problem of existence of previous release, so player has some expectations of a game world, possibly became very used to it. So of course many expectations will become disappointment.

Maybe many internally consistent changes might be better than small removals/additions, because that way expectations are broken from start, and player is back to "ok, what's up this time" attitude.

OwlSolar
25th Sep 2010, 06:02
I'm just wondering how they'd build a two-tiered city from stratch in 17 years. I don't doubt the technology would exist by then, but I can't wrap my head around a city not only being built from the ground up in that time, but completely developed and populated as well...

NKD
25th Sep 2010, 06:06
I'm just wondering how they'd build a two-tiered city from stratch in 17 years. I don't doubt the technology would exist by then, but I can't wrap my head around a city not only being built from the ground up in that time, but completely developed and populated as well...

Who says they built it in 17 years? Deus Ex doesn't take place in our "universe."

rubiomhs
25th Sep 2010, 06:07
it's not very thoroughly formulated fiction is the best answer to your question.

or maybe it's a parallel universe seeing how everyone has such a small head size.

OwlSolar
25th Sep 2010, 06:09
...Huh?

Who says they built it in 17 years? Deus Ex doesn't take place in our "universe."

Yeah, I know. It's just that they're always saying that they've done their research and that just about everything in the game could actually exist.

Just nitpicking, though. I think Hengsha's awesome.

rubiomhs
25th Sep 2010, 06:13
huh?

not a lot of people notice this apparently, but the average character's head in the game is about 9 inches long. which i guess is normal, except they're all 7 feet tall with huge shoulders and spindly legs...which definitely isn't normal.

OwlSolar
25th Sep 2010, 06:14
No, I was asking about the other part.

Pinky_Powers
25th Sep 2010, 06:24

Deus Ex is fiction. Did you really expect all the things you saw in DX to come true?

Ilves
25th Sep 2010, 08:44
Deus Ex doesn't take place in our "universe."

The original felt like it did, and HR really, really should have. I'm almost of the opinion that HR can afford to take liberties with the DX canon before departing from our actual timeline. Like, commenting on the current state of world affairs is more of a pillar of DX than staying true to exact storylines set up in the original. If that makes sense.

Angel-A
26th Sep 2010, 00:37
A lot of technology now is already past what was depicted in DX1, plus, DX was limited by its engine with several things and, as such, they looked less good... That stuff gets a free pass and I'll assume you're not talking about it.

I really like how the aircraft Faridah Malik uses looks tons more advanced and futuristic than Jock's purportedly very advanced, state-of-the-art stealth heli years later. One thing about DX's futurism was it still seemed grounded; Jock's heli looked advanced but not super sci-fi...

BTW

http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/5571/chasm.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n202/Starsiege_/justasplanned.jpg

azarhal
26th Sep 2010, 01:44
Malik's aircraft is a civilian transport known as a VTOL (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertical/Short_Takeoff_and_Landing). It looks like a smaller V-22 Osprey (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-22_Osprey) merged with a XV-3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_XV-3) (add a frontal load cockpit and reactors as opposed to rotors).

Jock's helico is also a VTOL, but closer to a Lockheed AH-56 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_AH-56_Cheyenne).

OwlSolar
26th Sep 2010, 06:49
Deus Ex is fiction. Did you really expect all the things you saw in DX to come true?
yes
Like I said:
Yeah, I know. It's just that they're always saying that they've done their research and that just about everything in the game could actually exist.I'd expect it to be plausible. But like I also said, I don't really care. It won't detract from my enjoyment at all, I just like nitpicking.

I really like how the aircraft Faridah Malik uses looks tons more advanced and futuristic than Jock's purportedly very advanced, state-of-the-art stealth heli years later. One thing about DX's futurism was it still seemed grounded; Jock's heli looked advanced but not super sci-fi...
Just because it looks more futuristic doesn't mean it is. Besides, a helicopter capable if international flight is quite advanced. Much more impressive than a VTOL with the same capabilities, just less flashy.

zombieturtle01
26th Sep 2010, 07:13
My biggest problem is with Shanghai being a two story city. That's not even practical, nevermind possible. Wayyyy too futuristic.
Also, the locks. Haven't all locks in DX:HR been replaced with holographic hackable locks?

OwlSolar
26th Sep 2010, 07:14
Adam can hack padlocks.

Pinky_Powers
26th Sep 2010, 07:23
With his tongue!

JCpies
26th Sep 2010, 07:37
The two tiered city reminds me of a fiction I wrote, there were many tiers, the city had a mechanical mirror system to redirect light into the city.

Edit: And for those complaining about the two tiers being 'unrealistic', maybe they wanted to conserve space? Humans are overpopulating the planet and to preserve space and wildlife, you can either go up or down, up is probably the way forward. Like skyscrapers, you can build a really tall block of offices instead of seperate buildings.

OwlSolar
26th Sep 2010, 08:03
I wonder what Japan's like.

With his tongue!
My tongue is augmented.

pringlepower
26th Sep 2010, 08:07
I wonder what Japan's like.

My tongue is augmented.

The country is secretly ruled by a consortium of love pillows.

JCpies
26th Sep 2010, 08:08
Paul: JC my girlfriend used to call me 'goldfinger'
JC: why's that?
Paul: My fingers are augmented.

OwlSolar
26th Sep 2010, 08:12
The country is secretly ruled by a consortium of love pillows.

All the hate, all the violence, all the lies. All of it has a source. And they are tearing this world apart.

Ilves
26th Sep 2010, 08:17
(Humble request: when quoting someone, please don't remove the original poster's handle from the quote... So much easier to keep track of the back and forth when you actually know who said what.) http://media.ign.com/boardfaces/8.gif

Pinky_Powers
26th Sep 2010, 08:20
Edit: And for those complaining about the two tiers being 'unrealistic', maybe they wanted to conserve space? Humans are overpopulating the planet and to preserve space and wildlife, you can either go up or down, up is probably the way forward. Like skyscrapers, you can build a really tall block of offices instead of seperate buildings.

It's more than that. The island of Hengsha is owned by a corporation. So they literally have no more room in the world to build, but upward.

The concept is very realistic, not futuristic.

JCpies
26th Sep 2010, 08:22
It's more than that. The island of Hengsha is owned by a corporation. So they literally have no more room in the world to build, but upward.

The concept is very realistic, not futuristic.

See, it makes total sense now. :rolleyes:

AxiomaticBadger
26th Sep 2010, 11:52
Hmm, how developed is hengsha today? If there are enough skyscrapers there, all they'd really need to do is built platforms between them.

Kodaemon
26th Sep 2010, 12:24
There's not much there at all, in fact it's a get away from Shanghai.

Pinky_Powers
27th Sep 2010, 12:45

I know this was rather settled, but I was looking through the old E3 press articles and found that there was president for my assumption. Have a look...

Dugas: It’s two augmentations. Francis used one, used the other next to it, so it looks like one huge scripted moment, but it’s not. Basically the first one is the Icarus Landing System, which allows you when you have this augmentation to fall or jump from any heights without taking damage. So this augmentation, when you try to explore all over the place and you’re scared that you’re going to fall, it’s a good idea. Basically there are two ways to use it. The first way is that if you don’t press any button, you’re going to land super smoothly, not making noise. If you hold the trigger, he’s going to do the punch and stun people around.

From PC Gamer.
http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/06/12/deus-ex-human-revolutions-game-director-speaks/2/

AlexOfSpades
27th Sep 2010, 13:00
If i said i liked the idea of the stun punch, will anyone get mad at me and burn me alive?

Pinky_Powers
27th Sep 2010, 13:24
I can see some tactical advantage to it.

I guess it will depend on how much energy it consumes, whether I'll use it much or not; I plan to save most of my energy for Cloaking. :D

But the base idea of the Icarus Landing System is something I consider a MUST HAVE for me.

Blade_hunter
27th Sep 2010, 13:29
For me that's not the idea, that's how it works, for me that's different on this point, and my main grippe isn't the third person view even if it make it worse IMO, that's the "cutscenisation", automation of the process and the fact they instant kill/knock in the case of some of them anyway and we loose control during the moment, do you think I hate the arm blade idea or even having martial arts implants ?
Even when René said there will be martial arts implants I imagined something that could enhance a hand to hand combat system, instead of what I sew.

Pinky_Powers
27th Sep 2010, 14:15
Erm... good to know. :confused:

IOOI
27th Sep 2010, 16:18
Dugas: [...] the Icarus Landing System, which allows you when you have this augmentation to fall or jump from any heights without taking damage. So this augmentation, when you try to explore all over the place and you’re scared that you’re going to fall, it’s a good idea. Basically there are two ways to use it. The first way is that if you don’t press any button, you’re going to land super smoothly, not making noise. If you hold the trigger, he’s going to do the punch and stun people around.

I'm interested to hear the justification for these two actions modes of the Icarus Landing system.
Is there any scientific research or advancement made that support that concept? How can it be done?

If i said i liked the idea of the stun punch, will anyone get mad at me and burn me alive?

I have a can of gasoline right in front of me and a lighter in my hand.

J/K

I like the concept, but does it really fit into DX universe? Maybe.
I vant answers!

Oh wait... I'll make the questions in the proper place.

Pinky_Powers
27th Sep 2010, 20:22
How can it be done?

Baby angels come to your aid whenever you slip. They ferry you safely to the warm embrace of the Earth.

IOOI
27th Sep 2010, 20:33
Oh, too bad I don't believe in angels (or demons for that matter).

Angel-A
28th Sep 2010, 17:39
Oh, too bad I don't believe in angels.

*tear*

Dead-Eye
28th Sep 2010, 18:36

Seems entirely possible to me.

Yes.

I'm interested to hear the justification for these two actions modes of the Icarus Landing system.
Is there any scientific research or advancement made that support that concept? How can it be done?

Probably not, but I used to think that invisibility was impossible until someone pointed out fiber optic cloth.

I would imagine that it would use nanoclouds to increase Adams air-drag or create a cushion that he lands into. Sort of like an invisible (to the human eye) parashoot or jump house. But then whats the deal with the electro sparks that come off of Adam when he lands? Maybe they are used to power the nanoclouds? Or is there some revolutionary idea out there to use huge amounts of electricity to push something?

Part of me feels this Aug is just here for the cool factor and dosen't fit in Deus Ex.

Irate_Iguana
28th Sep 2010, 18:58
Or is there some revolutionary idea out there to use huge amounts of electricity to push something?

Magnetism. Our High Field Magnet Laboratory has some really powerful magnets. They require vast amounts of power. They actually used them to levitate a strawberry and a frog before.

IOOI
28th Sep 2010, 19:50
*tear*

There's always an exception, of course. :flowers:

spm1138
30th Sep 2010, 18:01

This a thousand times.

This can't be that hard a concept for people to grok :rolleyes:

Dead-Eye
30th Sep 2010, 19:57
Magnetism. Our High Field Magnet Laboratory has some really powerful magnets. They require vast amounts of power. They actually used them to levitate a strawberry and a frog before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6GD3rvNML8
I see...