PDA

View Full Version : Fun Fact: Mafia II has more swearing than any other game.

UhUh
20th Sep 2010, 11:39
Yet nobody gave a **** about it, oh how bipolar are you, videogame world? :rolleyes:

Proof (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb6pMDmbXDY)

MxOAgentJohnson
20th Sep 2010, 13:49
Im going to be original right now.

I like the part where he says ****.

Now thats over, ******* **** this **** ******* i dont know the italian bit **** ******* fuuuuuck fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

TheMoD
20th Sep 2010, 17:21
Well Mafia2 is pretty long so there's actually not that much swearing for a game that long

BeardedHoplite
20th Sep 2010, 20:48
Whats the record for use of 'chinks'? Because there's this part where the CPS (Chinks Per Seconds) is seriously like 4. This guy says chinks like 30 times in a minute-and-a-half scene

GrievousOdyssey
20th Sep 2010, 21:28
Swearing is what keeps these characters alive , remember that ...

JackGordon
20th Sep 2010, 22:06
Just got my 1000G. I changed my mind. This game blows. The last game that got deleted that fast from my harddrive was Metro 2033.

ohitspatty
21st Sep 2010, 03:10
Just got my 1000G. I changed my mind. This game blows. The last game that got deleted that fast from my harddrive was Metro 2033.

Funny you say...I tried to like SH: Homecoming then I hit the 1000G and realized how much it sucked haha

JackGordon
21st Sep 2010, 10:15
And right you are. The only part I really liked about Homecoming was Hell Descent and the battle with Scarlet that followed, Asphyxia battle and the church. Other than that, Homecoming is garbage.

Edit: ever played SAW? That's the Homecoming engine with a SAW-skin slapped onto it. One of the worst games I own...

ohitspatty
21st Sep 2010, 17:37
I was actually going to pick up SAW game for the hell of it, but that sounds pretty damn bad.

And my favorite part was that Robbie returned lol Everything else was lame.

JackGordon
21st Sep 2010, 19:23
SAW is an easy 1000G if that's what you fancy.

GrievousOdyssey
21st Sep 2010, 21:15
*trophies/achievement whores on sight* ....

*scanning targets* ...

*nuclear launch detected* ...

Bevacur
21st Sep 2010, 23:07
Homecoming was a decent game. I agree with the hell descent, very atmospheric. Despite copying the movie which i despised, the otherworld was the best past.

MxOAgentJohnson
23rd Sep 2010, 16:27
I want jackgordon right now to tell me what i said to everyone on the mafia 2 thread a while back.

I told everyone its going to be a hyped up piece of ****.

And it was, the story was great but my god id rather stick a toothpick in my eye than play with the gun mechanics.

JackGordon
23rd Sep 2010, 17:38
Mafia 2, another game added to the longline of GTA freeroaming clones with generic characters, awful voiceactors and a story that puts me to sleep faster than reading every wall of text gnrGrievous has ever written.Thread (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=111692).

Correct. Except that there was no free roaming.

ohitspatty
23rd Sep 2010, 18:11
Mafia II is not free roaming game? Which one of you sinned?

JackGordon
23rd Sep 2010, 19:11
If by 'free roaming' you mean 'looking for pointless collectibles' then yes, there was.

BeardedHoplite
23rd Sep 2010, 20:14
Damn, I still want to get Mafia.

JackGordon
23rd Sep 2010, 20:48
Just a friendly warning: the checkpoint & save system will piss you right the **** off.

Bevacur
23rd Sep 2010, 20:50
I played the demo, seems like free-roam to me.

JackGordon
23rd Sep 2010, 21:26
I played the game (1000G); free roam is practically non-existant. Things to do in Empire Bay if the game lets you:
- look for Wanted posters (Playboy collectibles are chapter related. Missed one? Too bad, restart the entire chapter.)
- rob gun shops & clothing stores and crush or sell (fancy) cars for a quick buck.

That's it. Empire Bay is just eye-candy. Nothing more, nothing less.

Bevacur
23rd Sep 2010, 21:29
I'm glad i did not fall for the hype.

JackGordon
23rd Sep 2010, 21:32
Neither did I. I just bought a game that appealed to me and was disappointed. That is all.

Bevacur
23rd Sep 2010, 21:54
I ended up buying Dog Day's and pre-ordering Fable 3.

GrievousOdyssey
23rd Sep 2010, 22:06
Might buy Mafia II for christmas , or just whenever it gets cut down to twenty dollars , along with Alpha Protocol ...

Still haven't bought Shattered Dimension or Minerva's Den yet though ...
Priorities first damnit ! ...

JackGordon
23rd Sep 2010, 22:07
Unfortunately I fell for the Dog Days hype (we all wouldn't even be here otherwise) and this truly is my biggest disappointment of 2010 so far.

Bevacur
23rd Sep 2010, 22:26
I was not exactly disappointed but i was annoyed. The game was solid and i enjoyed it, i know i spent more than 8-9 hours on co-op with hard difficulty.

Like everyone else, i was annoyed by the length, i hoped it was like Dead Men, no-one expected the Jungle levels so i guessed that Dog Day's will have a surprise level.

GrievousOdyssey
23rd Sep 2010, 22:33
Given how much i spent the last nine months bashing the game , Dog Days became my least disappointing game of the year , because i sometimes didn't already expected much from it , so i enjoyed it fully for what it is , knowing since the beginning that it wasn't going to surpass Dead Men ...

Hope for nothing and get what there is , the technique works ... well , shame it doesn't work for others *gaze over Modern Warfare and Among Thieves* ...

UhUh
24th Sep 2010, 08:20
Well, look at that, don't even need to start a new thread as the derailment works in my favor.

I played the Vanquish demo yesterday, what a disappointment, it doesn't happen often that I don't even bother finishing a demo.
The premise is laughable, but it's a set up for shooting galleries with mechs and cyber-soldiers, everything is over the top and Sam Gideon works as the badass in fabula. So it's all in the gameplay right? Just mindless fun, all aboard the fun train! Wrong.

The first thing that dies quickly is the slide, wich is just another way to make a sprint, Sam get a boost a slide on his knees like a rocketman; it's cool, but it just a cool animation, it's nothing that changes the game.

Then there's the guns, there's quite a viriety of weapons just in the demo, but weather they shoot rockets, bullets or blades they feel all the same. The nicer thing is the tracking reticule in the rocket luncher, but didn't had much of a chance to use it as it take too long to charge properly. The other annoying thing is that to change weapon you to hold the X button(on 360); it's not a quick thing, ok I'm out of ammo let me take that, you have to stay there.

And I was soon out of ammo, since everything takes ages to die(and then they say DogDays have bullet sponges). There just too much going on in the action, everything is exploding, everybody's shooting...chaos, but it doesn't feel dangerous, you can walk around like it's nothing you can easly dodge and the regen health with the slow motion when you're in danger makes taking cover usless, it's more like a 3rd person bullet hell.
After a minute I didn't even see soldiers against robots, I just saw health bars, hold the trigger till that bar is empty, pass to the next bar and go on.

The biggest offender was the boss. So you have to shoot 8 bolts to stun him and take it out, and it takes forever. The boss itself has a lifebar that was comparable to the ones in Muramasa. Then when you think it's over it transform itslef and you have to do it all over again, and here I said screw you game, I'm fed up.

The slow motion also doesn't work for me, on paper it seem like a good idea, when you're about to die everything goes in bullet time; sounds good. Exept that it transalte in a jelly situation where I'd like to be quick, it's not empowering like it was on Max Payne. You could use it at your advantage when needed, here it's like a punishment when you play bad.

Being just a demo it's difficoult to pass a judgment on this, but the level felt really constricted.
It's just a big room, and in the first half you get to move only on the ground level, then in the second you can get upstairs...it didn't feel like a real space where you can go where you want to, I saw the guys up there but untill the game was happy I couldn't go there.

Graphically it's ok, to me the problem with having a camera so far away it's that you can't see the detail in the characters and the level itself being just a big room didn't had anything memorable in it. The animations are fine exept for the quick jump from the cover that is as awkward as it can be. On the other hand it's cool to see the weapon itself morphing into another one.

Quite a disappointment, I'm not into mindless shooter, but it did look cool; instead it's very boring. Next on the list is Enslaved, let's see if that can be better.

GrievousOdyssey
24th Sep 2010, 10:32
I believe they said that the demo uses an exclusive level not featured in game ...
Acting as a prequel ...

Maybe that'll explain why the level design seem so restrictive , but no doubt the gameplay will remain the same in the full game , as bad as it looked like during the E3 reveal trailer ...

(and lots of people got all excited for Vanquish , today still ... i got scared , big time) ...