PDA

View Full Version : DX:HR Playable Demo - General Discussion

jcd3nt0n
19th Sep 2010, 12:59
We need a big demo were we can see everything that the game has to offer, please i can't wait any longer. :gamer:

xsamitt
19th Sep 2010, 13:02
We need a big demo were we can see everything that the game has to offer, please i can't wait any longer. :gamer:

Speak for yourself.....LOl......These old eyes will look far far away.In my old age I choose to wait.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
19th Sep 2010, 13:06
I think Dugas has more or less confirmed that there will be a demo.
I hope it's a standalone demo, perhaps a training session. I don't wish to play any real part of the game plot.

EDIT: Sorry, are you talking about a playable demo?

St. Mellow
19th Sep 2010, 13:52

I sure hope so.

jcd3nt0n
19th Sep 2010, 14:29
I hope it's a standalone demo, perhaps a training session. I don't wish to play any real part of the game plot.

Yes, a playable demo like a training session like MyImmortal said. That would be awesome! :gamer:

Sotsiak
19th Sep 2010, 15:14

I have good and bad news for you.

Good: You are lucky, Dugas said that devs listen to what we say and we want for this game.

Bad: They ignore you.

jcd3nt0n
19th Sep 2010, 16:34
A lot of official windows themes, screensavers, and wallpapers too! :nut:

Corpus
19th Sep 2010, 17:03
Certainly wouldn't mind some official wallpapers.

Shralla
19th Sep 2010, 19:26

Good: You are lucky, Dugas said that devs listen to what we say and we want for this game.

Hurr they don't want to produce MY vision for a new Deus Ex that means they ignore everything we say

jay659
19th Sep 2010, 19:42
I think we are a long long way off a demo lol

jcd3nt0n
19th Sep 2010, 20:27
Only 4 months :gamer:

JCpies
19th Sep 2010, 20:35

Okay, I'm patching this message through to the command center at Eidos Montreal, they should be releasing the demo in a few hours. Don't worry their wish is your command.

ZakKa89
19th Sep 2010, 20:48

Standalone demo's are so awesome because they don't spoil anything in the actual game for you. I really liked the demo in half life 1.

Tecman
19th Sep 2010, 21:39
Standalone demo's are so awesome because they don't spoil anything in the actual game for you. I really liked the demo in half life 1.
I'd love one, but it would probably be quite expensive to produce and play-test additional content that would, technically, not generate income.

(Yes, yes, I know, it would be awesome to let us actually test the mechanics without buying the game previously and people who would like it would buy it, therefore generating sales, but tell that to the marketing & management people in the industry environment where pieces of the game get chopped off so they can sell DLC...)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
19th Sep 2010, 21:40
Yes, a playable demo like a training session like MyImmortal said. That would be awesome! :gamer:

Thank you for confirming. I've tweaked the thread title to make this clear to everyone. Hope you don't mind. :)

jcd3nt0n
19th Sep 2010, 22:07
Is this true? In a few hours there will be a demo for us to play? Omg, i can't wait to play! Thanks!! :nut::lmao::gamer:

Pinky_Powers
19th Sep 2010, 22:17
Is this true? In a few hours there will be a demo for us to play? Omg, i can't wait to play! Thanks!! :nut::lmao::gamer:

What? I don't think that's what was said. Did I miss something, or are you just making $h1t up?

handgriffsorgfaeltig
19th Sep 2010, 22:27
What? I don't think that's what was said. Did I miss something, or are you just making $h1t up?

Okay, I'm patching this message through to the command center at Eidos Montreal, they should be releasing the demo in a few hours. Don't worry their wish is your command.

weapon of choice: sarcasm

Dagganoth
19th Sep 2010, 22:34

i think that was sarcasm

jcd3nt0n
19th Sep 2010, 22:42
Wha? Sorry, i misunderstood. Im so anxious to play this game that im going crazy! No demo :(

Lady_Of_The_Vine
19th Sep 2010, 22:44
^
Have you listened to the interview with Dugas?
Go here: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=113653

handgriffsorgfaeltig
19th Sep 2010, 23:08
Have you listened to the interview with Dugas?

his 'calming' words are spelled: p a t i e n c e

sorry jcd3n0n, you're trapped in the eidos-mindbending-machine like everbody else :wave:

jcd3nt0n
19th Sep 2010, 23:31
Dugas has a scary laugh! Oh well, the official date is february 2011 i think, im gonna stay in cryo-sleep till there. :zzZ:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
19th Sep 2010, 23:36
Oh well, the official date is february 2011 i think....

You've seen an official date for a demo release? Source please.

jcd3nt0n
19th Sep 2010, 23:45
No, no, i mean the date to the REAL game to be released is february 2011, many sites are showing this date. Don't know if they are true, however. :nut:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
19th Sep 2010, 23:54
No, no, i mean the date to the REAL game to be released is february 2011, many sites are showing this date. Don't know if they are true, however. :nut:

My bad. Thought you were still talking about the playable demo.
Yeah, those dates are probably a reasonable enough estimate as EM have said "early 2011".

mad825
20th Sep 2010, 04:45

thats just the placeholder, this is very commonly done to give a clear,possible date of the release or being a pedantic "a substitute for something that is not known" .

From what I have researched, the release date is going to be Q2 which is sometime after feb actually and more like April/may/June

how about that level they have been taunting us with.

avenging_teabag
20th Sep 2010, 06:05
It will be finalized within a week.

Pinky_Powers
20th Sep 2010, 06:20

Within six months?

avenging_teabag
20th Sep 2010, 06:35
^ No, within a week. jcd3nt0n asked very nicely :)

Pinky_Powers
20th Sep 2010, 06:42
^ No, within a week. jcd3nt0n asked very nicely :)

Well, that settles it, then.

jcd3nt0n
20th Sep 2010, 11:33

They already discussed the matter with the senator. :cool:

El_Bel
20th Sep 2010, 11:50
I take it he was agreeable?

avenging_teabag
20th Sep 2010, 12:13
He didn't really have a choice.

El_Bel
20th Sep 2010, 12:25
Has he been infected?

avenging_teabag
20th Sep 2010, 12:30
Oh, yes, most certainly. When they mentioned that they could put him on the priority list for a hands-on playthrough of the police mission, he was so willing it was almost pathetic.

VectorM
20th Sep 2010, 12:40
(Yes, yes, I know, it would be awesome to let us actually test the mechanics without buying the game previously and people who would like it would buy it, therefore generating sales, but tell that to the marketing & management people in the industry environment where pieces of the game get chopped off so they can sell DLC...)

And how did you come to the conclusion that a demo like that would have only positive effects?

A demo can make the game look bad, without the game being bad in the first place. Or vice-versa.

That's why the vast majority of open world games never have demos. You simply can't represent the actual experience of the game in such a small space. Imagine if they released a demo for San Andreas that was just one mission. It wouldn't look that good.

Now, in the retail game, you have so much more to do besides missions and the experience is way different that what you can fit in to a demo.

Now, you could make a separate mini sandbox, but that is costly and you face the same problem. So, no, it's not as simple as "Make a demo, if they like it, they buy it -> PROFIT!!!"

jcd3nt0n
20th Sep 2010, 13:33
Oh, yes, most certainly. When they mentioned that they could put him on the priority list for a hands-on playthrough of the police mission, he was so willing it was almost pathetic.

LOL i would love that! :lmao:

El_Bel
20th Sep 2010, 13:47
And how did you come to the conclusion that a demo like that would have only positive effects?

A demo can make the game look bad, without the game being bad in the first place. Or vice-versa.

That's why the vast majority of open world games never have demos. You simply can't represent the actual experience of the game in such a small space. Imagine if they released a demo for San Andreas that was just one mission. It wouldn't look that good.

Now, in the retail game, you have so much more to do besides missions and the experience is way different that what you can fit in to a demo.

Now, you could make a separate mini sandbox, but that is costly and you face the same problem. So, no, it's not as simple as "Make a demo, if they like it, they buy it -> PROFIT!!!"

Well if they dont put out a demo, some people might download it illigaly to see if they like it. And once you finish the game you have much less reasons to buy it (unless it has sdk in which case the big community will convince you to buy it, also you will need the patches to play the mods.. But we all know that HR will not have an SDK.). I say Demo is a must.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
20th Sep 2010, 13:48
But we all know that HR will not have an SDK.)....

We do?

El_Bel
20th Sep 2010, 13:50
Yup. Its 99.9% sure.

edit. Ok it might be closer to 99%

Lady_Of_The_Vine
20th Sep 2010, 13:56
Yup. Its 99.9% sure.

edit. Ok it might be closer to 99%

How so?

El_Bel
20th Sep 2010, 14:52
Search the interviews. They are really negative towards the possibility of giving us an SDK.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
20th Sep 2010, 14:58
Search the interviews. They are really negative towards the possibility of giving us an SDK.
I've read and watched all the interviews. The only thing I have heard anyone say (Dugas mainly) is "there are no plans at this moment in time" or something along those lines.

jcd3nt0n
20th Sep 2010, 16:08
Dugas spoke of the mythical demo on the goodies section. Soon that demo will be a reality, and we will be crowned its testers. :group_hug: ( im praying for this lol )

VectorM
20th Sep 2010, 17:04
Well if they dont put out a demo, some people might download it illigaly to see if they like it. And once you finish the game you have much less reasons to buy it (unless it has sdk in which case the big community will convince you to buy it, also you will need the patches to play the mods.. But we all know that HR will not have an SDK.). I say Demo is a must.

LOL, patches get cracked too you know.

Pinky_Powers
20th Sep 2010, 21:36

I can wipe your entire post away in one sentence: Deus Ex had a demo and it was mind-blowing.

:)

I fell desperately in love with the game based on that demo. And I was there release day to pick up my copy.

jcd3nt0n
20th Sep 2010, 22:30
I can wipe your entire post away in one sentence: Deus Ex had a demo and it was mind-blowing.

I fell desperately in love with the game based on that demo. And I was there release day to pick up my copy.

I was there too! :nut::lmao::cheek::friends::group_hug:

Tecman
21st Sep 2010, 03:32
I remember hating the demo a whole damn lot. Then again it was pretty much my second or third RPG game (or game with RPG elements, the terminology isn't what this post is about...) ever, as I've played pure-blood old-school First-Person Shooter and Strategy games almost exclusively at the time, so I was essentially one of the "I don't get it" dumbasses.

It wasn't until I had tried some later missions from the full game thanks to a friend who kept saying that I should give the game another chance (I think it was the Paris bits) that I actually grasped how to even PLAY the damn thing after everything finally snapped into place and I just fell in love with the game and bought it, then replayed it literally hundreds of times and it became the most influential game in my gaming history. :)

Xenoc
21st Sep 2010, 12:27
LMAO what a thread

VectorM
21st Sep 2010, 13:14
:hmm:

Yeah, one successful demo means that all demos will be successful :hmm:

And considering the time it will take to make one today (assuming it's not just a a level from the game) and the higher competition, a demo might end up for the worst.

Doesn't mean they can't make a good demo though. My point was that you can't just go and make a demo -> PROFIT!!! Every single game ever would have demos if that was the case :hmm:

Pinky_Powers
21st Sep 2010, 13:45
:hmm:

Yeah, one successful demo means that all demos will be successful :hmm:

And considering the time it will take to make one today (assuming it's not just a a level from the game) and the higher competition, a demo might end up for the worst.

Doesn't mean they can't make a good demo though. My point was that you can't just go and make a demo -> PROFIT!!! Every single game ever would have demos if that was the case :hmm:

Right'o. I thought you were saying making a demo for a game of this sort would be too difficult and thus not worth it.

There are a few great ways to make a demo, but I have a hard time believing I would have been as hook as I was if the Deus Ex demo had not been the first mission on Liberty Island.
By the end of that, after have the enlightening chinwag with the NSF leader, I no longer knew what was going on, or if I was even a good guy. It was a profound experience. And all from a demo. :)

jcd3nt0n
24th Sep 2010, 14:21
Look Pinky!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf63LPpDkBI

Why cant WE play this part of the game! :(

Mindmute
24th Sep 2010, 14:24
Look Pinky!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf63LPpDkBI

Oh God, why cant WE play this part of the game! Please put this in the goodies area! :(

That's rather old and has a head in the way the whole freaking time. Look for the newer footage, it's basically the same area, but with head-free viewing pleasure ;)

jcd3nt0n
24th Sep 2010, 14:29
I'll look for it, thanks! :gamer:

Pinky_Powers
24th Sep 2010, 14:30
That's rather old and has a head in the way the whole freaking time. Look for the newer footage, it's basically the same area, but with head-free viewing pleasure ;)

And far clearly image quality. :)

sonicsidewinder
25th Sep 2010, 00:36
If a demo is made, it'll have to be separate from the game imo. Like a tutorial mission or just a total fabrication using the game mechanics.

Even so, i don't know if i'd play it. :hmm:

AlexOfSpades
25th Sep 2010, 01:08
Where!? Where? Where is the super gameplay footage?

Tecman
25th Sep 2010, 06:32
Where!? Where? Where is the super gameplay footage?
How'd you miss it?

PAX 2010 Gameplay Footage, Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LdEvgns8B4) (YouTube)
PAX 2010 Gameplay Footage, Part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7USABbiRAo) (YouTube)
PAX 2010 Gameplay Footage, Part 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22XdZbIq5Mg) (YouTube)

Tverdyj
25th Sep 2010, 18:40
the social combat looks very simplified, when compared to the E3 version.

aside from that: when the hell will we see a demo with a PC control scheme? the computer panel in the docks used Xs and squares, ffs....

aside form that, nothing we didn't already know, but one point of note: one of the loading screens mentions a "stealth meter" aug, probably gonna be similar to the one in "Bloodlines" which would actually be really cool...

Pinky_Powers
25th Sep 2010, 22:24
the social combat looks very simplified, when compared to the E3 version.

This is still the E3 Demo... just showcased again at PAX. It says so at the bottom right of the screen. I'd be very surprised if it was updated in any way from E3.

But you're right. It is simplified from the leaked footage. There is no hideously complicated head obscuring a large portion of the screen.

Tverdyj
26th Sep 2010, 00:48
Malik's dialogue in the beginning was different.
the social combat design did not look like this. in the E# demo the choices were in the top right part of the screen, not the bottom left, like in the PAX video

Coyotegrey
26th Sep 2010, 06:16

Not on my watch.

Oh, and regarding the release date...we haven't officially announced one.

OwlSolar
26th Sep 2010, 08:05
This is still the E3 Demo... just showcased again at PAX. It says so at the bottom right of the screen. I'd be very surprised if it was updated in any way from E3.

But you're right. It is simplified from the leaked footage. There is no hideously complicated head obscuring a large portion of the screen.

Man, that head is convoluted. I had to go on Sparknotes to understand it. Gah, they don't teach us anything in Literature class.

pringlepower
26th Sep 2010, 08:09
the social combat design did not look like this. in the E# demo the choices were in the top right part of the screen, not the bottom left, like in the PAX video

Im pretty sure it was, that's why we couldn't see any of it (since the guy's head was conveniently in the bottom left".

Pinky_Powers
26th Sep 2010, 08:43

The dialog is exactly the same. It's even paced the same... I know because I ran them simultaneously, and they kept sync. And because of the HEAD, you cannot see that the conversation options are in exactly the same place as well.

See and hear for yourself.
Leaked E3 footage (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf63LPpDkBI)
PAX footage for Malik intro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LdEvgns8B4&feature=related)
PAX footage for Tong persuasion (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22XdZbIq5Mg&feature=related)

Damn you for making me question myself, and then go through all this just to realize I was right. lol.

Tverdyj
26th Sep 2010, 08:58
yes, i've realized my mistake *bows head in shame*

i blame the student lifestyle with the binges and all their consequences.

Pinky_Powers
26th Sep 2010, 09:07
yes, i've realized my mistake *bows head in shame*

i blame the student lifestyle with the binges and all their consequences.

MMMmmmmmmm... binges.

I would be a much happier man right now if I had a twelve pack of Fat Tire (http://www.newbelgium.com/beer/fat-tire) cooling in the fridge. :(

Facebyface
26th Sep 2010, 14:35
PAX 2010 Gameplay Footage, Part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7USABbiRAo) (YouTube)

It's also in the trailer, but I just noticed that the explosives Adam got were set off for ten seconds. Was Tong actually trying to kill his own men?

Pinky_Powers
26th Sep 2010, 14:41
It's also in the trailer, but I just noticed that the explosives Adam got were set off for ten seconds. Was Tong actually trying to kill his own men?

Possibly. But there is a line when Adam recovers the charges from the shed, where Malik says "I don't trust Triad bomb-techs", and Adam says "I've no choice". This to me suggests the ten-second countdown as just faulty work on their part.

OwlSolar
26th Sep 2010, 19:48
Maybe he put in the wrong code.

Pinky_Powers
26th Sep 2010, 21:37
Oh that Jensen and his comedic tomfoolery!

jcd3nt0n
4th Oct 2010, 20:52
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/2193/omghand.jpg (http://img138.imageshack.us/i/omghand.jpg/)

When i saw the cursor becoming a hand i almost had a heart attack. "It's the demo!", i said. No, just wallpapers, but they are very nice too!

Pinky_Powers
4th Oct 2010, 21:16
^... when I saw your post I was like "OMG, the demo!". But then I read it and was like... you bastard.

jcd3nt0n
4th Oct 2010, 21:56
^... when I saw your post I was like "OMG, the demo!". But then I read it and was like... you bastard.

Sorry Pinky, it was not my intention! I'm desperate too! :(:o:nut::gamer::friends::cheek::group_hug:

Rice Pudding UK
4th Oct 2010, 22:14
I wouldn't mind a Dashboard theme and some avatar gear, demos of high profile games seem little nowadays, there is a load of old c**p on the XBLive Demo scene

OwlSolar
5th Oct 2010, 03:53
desperate
Heh heh heh.

Your turn.

jcd3nt0n
9th Oct 2010, 03:39
Staff, how much longer for the demo to be released?!? Im ready to press start! :gamer::mad::mad2::nut:

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/725/iloveyoue.jpg (http://img716.imageshack.us/i/iloveyoue.jpg/)

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/1529/yummyze.jpg (http://img197.imageshack.us/i/yummyze.jpg/)

lacie_denton
11th Oct 2010, 04:10
um... any word on that demo?

Jerion
11th Oct 2010, 04:27
um... any word on that demo?

Nope, no word yet.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
12th Oct 2010, 21:44
If a demo happens, I hope it's released in time for Christmas.

Pinky_Powers
13th Oct 2010, 00:48

So that you'll shun your family and commune with your PC for the whole holiday?

AlexOfSpades
13th Oct 2010, 00:58
Adam Claus!

mad825
13th Oct 2010, 05:47

I doubt it will happen...at least that early, if my logic serves me well then it would be around a month or two before release date but of course there is no official date set yet...

Any hope of a demo is already shattered in my eyes as PC gamers are always the neglect ones.

JCpies
13th Oct 2010, 06:16
I doubt it will happen...at least that early, if my logic serves me well then it would be around a month or two before release date but of course there is no official date set yet...

Any hope of a demo is already shattered in my eyes as PC gamers are always the neglect ones.

Not with steam! =D

Lady_Of_The_Vine
13th Oct 2010, 09:10

Early 2011 is an official date, and we're probably looking at February. :thumb:

mad825
13th Oct 2010, 09:32
Early 2011 is an official date, and we're probably looking at February. :thumb:

in the sense that it is just a placeholder, means nothing really tbh and doesn't really give it any security thus it's possible to assume that:

1.the developers are a little/alot behind schedule and do not know if they can catch-up.

2.the publishers haven't really got a good sense "when" is the best time

3.the publishers are just being their usual selves and being reluctant **** by withholding information until they say otherwise.

Seeing as you are more of the optimistic type, I suppose you would go for #3 :whistle:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
13th Oct 2010, 10:51
We all know it's a placeholder, but February is no great leap of logic.
Anyway, none of your options suit me. I'm sticking to February 2011 and I don't care if you share my opinion or not. :rasp:

mad825
13th Oct 2010, 13:50
you knew it was a placeholder yet you held it as fact?...very inconsistent but regardless, that is still effectively #3 you are describing without me venting steam.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
13th Oct 2010, 14:12
you knew it was a placeholder yet you held it as fact?...very inconsistent but regardless, that is still effectively #3 you are describing without me venting steam.
You really do need to vent off steam, you're full of hot air! What was it I said that was inconsistent?

"Early 2011 is an official date, and we're probably looking at February."

It is a fact that early 2011 is the official date. My opinion is that we're "probably" looking at February.
Relax.

LeMoN_LiMe
13th Oct 2010, 17:19
no demo!

I WANT A PLAYSTATION MOVE DEMO OF EACH ENDING SO WE KNOW HOW EVERYTHING WILL END BEFORE WE PLAY IT!! and it "moves" xDDDDD

Corpus
13th Oct 2010, 17:45
http://www.videogamer.com/news/deus_ex_will_definitely_hit_its_release_date.html

Kind of assuring.

JCpies
13th Oct 2010, 17:53
no demo!

I WANT A PLAYSTATION MOVE DEMO OF EACH ENDING SO WE KNOW HOW EVERYTHING WILL END BEFORE WE PLAY IT!! and it "moves" xDDDDD

Sarcasm fail, but if you keep it up, you'll improve.

jcd3nt0n
13th Oct 2010, 20:42
"Deus Ex will 'definitely' hit its release date"

I love the sound of this sentence. Makes me reach nirvana. But i still want a demo! :nut:

Pinky_Powers
14th Oct 2010, 03:06
Human Revolution will definitely hit it's release date of... February! This is true-blue confirmation. :D

Lady_Of_The_Vine
14th Oct 2010, 06:28
^ Excellent. :thumb:

BigBoss
19th Oct 2010, 01:35
I only want a demo if it's going to be something like what capcom did with dead rising 2, how it's a prequel with a little extra story in it. That was perfect to build anticipation for that game, especially because it had a uniqe asthetic to it compared to the actual thing. If it's a demo that's just a chunk from the game, I won't bother.

BigBoss
21st Oct 2010, 07:11

Way to blow what the moderator said out of purportion........are you by chance in the tea party ZINGA!!!!!!

Unstoppable
12th Nov 2010, 11:19
Time to revive this thread.

Short and to the point. If this game where to have a demo a month or two before the game launched what would you consider a success?

For me it would have to have a couple of key things. First the download size should accomodate a quick download no more than 1 or 2 hours. Therefore I'm thinking the demo should not be bigger than 1GB, ideally 700-850MB.

Secondly it would allow the player different playstyles each time they load the demo up. Also perhaps some unlockables for completing the demo that they can toy with on their next playthrough.

Last but not least I want plenty of different gadgets/guns to toy around with. I want to have fun and give me a reason to purchase this game.

-my 2 cents

jcd3nt0n
12th Nov 2010, 16:31
Time to revive this thread.

Short and to the point. If this game where to have a demo a month or two before the game launched what would you consider a success?

For me it would have to have a couple of key things. First the download size should accomodate a quick download no more than 1 or 2 hours. Therefore I'm thinking the demo should not be bigger than 1GB, ideally 700-850MB.

Secondly it would allow the player different playstyles each time they load the demo up. Also perhaps some unlockables for completing the demo that they can toy with on their next playthrough.

Last but not least I want plenty of different gadgets/guns to toy around with. I want to have fun and give me a reason to purchase this game.

-my 2 cents

100% Agreed! :thumb:

LeMoN_LiMe
12th Nov 2010, 18:26
Sarcasm fail, but if you keep it up, you'll improve.

Well least you picked up on the sarcasm...........:rasp:

jcd3nt0n
16th Dec 2010, 17:23
Well, since we are going to wait 2 more months ( 1 month its like 1 year to me waiting for this game ) it would be nice if we have a demo to help us in this infernal waiting. :mad2: :mad:

lithos
16th Dec 2010, 17:25
But then we might find out if the game sucks before we fork over our cash.

AlexOfSpades
16th Dec 2010, 17:30
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!
http://www.jazz2online.com/media/levels/sharewarelogo.gif

If they dont release it until my birthday (March) i'll spend all my money to travel to Montreal, put on a trenchcoat, sunglasses and infiltrate the building, knocking people down until i can steal the Demo disk, where jcd3nt0n will arrive in a helicopter, rescuing me and then nuking the place forever.

[FGS]Shadowrunner
16th Dec 2010, 17:31
If you don't see a demo in the next 30 days, I don't think you will see one at all.

Demos cost money.

Since this is a reboot, I don't see much point. However much complaining people have done on this forums, it's Deus Ex, they will go and buy the game.

nomotog
16th Dec 2010, 17:35
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!
http://www.jazz2online.com/media/levels/sharewarelogo.gif

If they dont release it until my birthday (March) i'll spend all my money to travel to Montreal, put on a trenchcoat, sunglasses and infiltrate the building, knocking people down until i can steal the Demo disk, where jcd3nt0n will arrive in a helicopter, rescuing me and then nuking the place forever.

But they won't be able to finish the game if you do that. :P

[FGS]Shadowrunner
16th Dec 2010, 17:44
that would be bleak also for DX4...

Balmora
16th Dec 2010, 18:43
Why receive a demo, when we can get a cool new CGI trailer?

motsm
16th Dec 2010, 19:13
Shadowrunner;1543578']
Since this is a reboot, I don't see much point. However much complaining people have done on this forums, it's Deus Ex, they will go and buy the game.I won't buy the game without a demo, at least not at any point that they would care.

The fact it's a reboot has nothing to do with it. Deus Ex was released 10 years ago, so tons of gamers of this generation have never played it. On top of that, it was essentially a PC game, and with PC games basically being regarded as useless garbage today and bringing in relatively tiny sales numbers, they need to show the console market what the games about. Lastly, Invisible War tainted the series, and they need to show people they didn't do the same thing, before we reward them.

Angel-A
16th Dec 2010, 19:26
But they won't be able to finish the game if you do that. :P
That's true.
Don't be a jerk, Alex. Don't do it, man.

AlexOfSpades
16th Dec 2010, 19:29
): !!!

Unstoppable
16th Dec 2010, 19:33
I think a demo makes it harder to get the full game. I wouldn't mind one but only if it doesn't get in the way of development. All signs right now for me point to a demo AFTER the game is released. Why would they dedicate resources on a demo when they game is not finished. I wouldn't.

68_pie
16th Dec 2010, 19:44
I think a demo makes it harder to get the full game. I wouldn't mind one but only if it doesn't get in the way of development. All signs right now for me point to a demo AFTER the game is released. Why would they dedicate resources on a demo when they game is not finished. I wouldn't.

The game was scheduled for Q1 release. The game could still be ready for Q1. It is the publishers choice to delay, based on the market NOT based on seeing the game. So there is no reason for there not to be time to develop a demo before the game is released.

Quicksilver_502
16th Dec 2010, 19:45
erm, i'm pretty sure they said april 2012....in which case, there really should be a demo. hopefully, it'll come out before though. http://uk.gamespot.com/news/6285481.html?tag=latestheadlines%3Btitle%3B1

Sh1tst0rm
16th Dec 2010, 20:05
wait... so is this confirmed?? Pushed back till 2012?

Jerion
16th Dec 2010, 20:06
No. Not confirmed for 2012. Just for next Fiscal year, which means any time between end of Q1 2010 and end of Q1 2012 (read: March 2011-March 2012). I highly doubt it'll get pushed back that far.

Sh1tst0rm
16th Dec 2010, 20:08
Sorry, I'm in the other thread now catching up. This is quite the blow. Thanks for clarifying that though.

Donvermicelli
16th Dec 2010, 20:10
So there is no reason for there not to be time to develop a demo before the game is released.

The whole point of a demo is to measure up the audiences response to how the game is currently looking, releasing one after the game is released would be completely without profit so there would be no reason for them to do it then.

ⓣⓐⓕⓕⓔⓡ
16th Dec 2010, 20:15
Demos before the game is released is a thing of the past. It costs money and makes sense to do it after its released once the initial sales are over, it makes it more profitable for the publishers.

Pinky_Powers
16th Dec 2010, 20:17
The whole point of a demo is to measure up the audiences response to how the game is currently looking, releasing one after the game is released would be completely without profit so there would be no reason for them to do it then.

Incorrect. A demo is primarily a marketing thing. It's purpose is to give folk a chance to decide if they like the game enough to fork over the cash. Pre-release is best, but post-release will still yield new sales.

68_pie
16th Dec 2010, 20:20

Wait, when did I say they would release a demo after release? Also I'm pretty sure a demo is to give the audience a taste; not to see how the audience would react. That's more a focus group/tester thing. I can't think of many games that were changed due to comments about the demo.

motsm
16th Dec 2010, 20:23
Incorrect. A demo is primarily a marketing thing. It's purpose is to give folk a chance to decide if they like the game enough to fork over the cash. Pre-release is best, but post-release will still yield new sales.This.

Even if it doesn't yield sales because people end up not enjoying the demo, it's a courtesy I feel developers should give us. They shouldn't want us to buy their game and end up regretting the purchase, and I think a demo is the best way to stop that from happening.

Fluffis
16th Dec 2010, 20:28
Pre-release is best, but post-release will still yield new sales.

This is very true. I've both forked, knifed and spooned (oo-er) money after playing demos for a couple of games.

Pinky_Powers
17th Dec 2010, 04:52
This is very true. I've both forked, knifed and spooned (oo-er) money after playing demos for a couple of games.

Same here. A good Demo is the surest way to get me to buy your game.

I had my eye on Deus Ex for a while, but the demo blew me against the wall and stapled me there, while Gunther Hermann licked at my navel.
How was I not going to pay money for more of that treatment?

Bioshock and Batman Arkham Asylum were the same story. Very strong Demos that led to proud purchases... and unspeakably erotic evenings.

Senka
17th Dec 2010, 05:16
Bad mental picture there.

GentlemanLoser
17th Dec 2010, 05:22
Hot mental picture there.

Rindill the Red
17th Dec 2010, 05:44
No mental picture there.

MaxxQ1
17th Dec 2010, 05:51

I had my eye on Deus Ex for a while, but the demo blew me against the wall and stapled me there, while Gunther Hermann licked at my navel.

Bioshock and Batman Arkham Asylum were the same story. Very strong Demos that led to proud purchases... and unspeakably erotic evenings.

Demos that convinced me to buy the game:

Descent: Freespace - The Great War
Homeworld
Pharoah
Deus Ex
No One Lives Forever
Stronghold
Homeworld 2
Tron 2.0
Deus Ex: Invisible War (admittedly, I hoped the full game would be better, but at least I didn't have the problems others did because they had the wrong videocard)
No One Lives Forever 2
Stronghold 2 (here's to hoping there's a demo for Stronghold 3)

Rindill the Red
17th Dec 2010, 05:54
Jedi Knight 2, Jedi Outcast

Lady_Of_The_Vine
17th Dec 2010, 12:25
It would be nice to get a demo, but it's certainly not a necessity (for me).

Kvltism
17th Dec 2010, 12:53
It would be nice to get a demo, but it's certainly not a necessity (for me).

Yeah. A decent first-person gameplay vid would be sufficient at this point.

Donvermicelli
17th Dec 2010, 13:35

Oh so true, I can remember playing the Deus Ex demo 21 times before finding the retail version when I finally got to see what happened after getting into that boat was so win. Bioshock and Arkham Asylum the same story without the boat.

Balmora
17th Dec 2010, 14:58
If they release a demo, it will only be available for the Xbox 360 and the PS3. Just watch the cool CGI trailer and wait for the full release.

Muta Ro
17th Dec 2010, 15:07
If they release a demo, it will only be available for the Xbox 360 and the PS3. Just watch the cool CGI trailer and wait for the full release.

Why no PC demo? If they can do demos on the consoles they can do a demo on the PC

Balmora
17th Dec 2010, 15:21
Why no PC demo? If they can do demos on the consoles they can do a demo on the PC

Why? I don't know why. It simply happens that way.

CoDEllite
17th Dec 2010, 15:30
Dead Space 2 isn't getting a PC demo so it figures :P

Jerion
17th Dec 2010, 16:09
Hang on one second.

Lets use some sense here, work our way to something plausible.

The last two major titles published by Square Enix under the Eidos label. Not WB, Square Enix. Just Cause 2. Kane and Lynch 2. K&L2 had a demo on Steam. I don't know whether the same held true for JC2, does anybody know?

Corpus
17th Dec 2010, 16:17
Hang on one second.

Lets use some sense here, work our way to something plausible.

The last two major titles published by Square Enix under the Eidos label. Not WB, Square Enix. Just Cause 2. Kane and Lynch 2. K&L2 had a demo on Steam. I don't know whether the same held true for JC2, does anybody know?

JC2 did indeed get a demo.

Ashpolt
17th Dec 2010, 16:17
Yeah, Just Cause 2 had a PC demo as well, and indeed it was on Steam I believe.

I still don't believe that DXHR will have a demo, because telling people even minor details about their game seems to be unimaginable in EM / SE's eyes, so laying a section of the game totally bare would be vastly out of character - but from SE's side at least, the form is there, which is somewhat encouraging.

Oh man, can you imagine the fun you could have with Just Cause 2's grapple gun in a DX game? For those of you who don't know, it enables you to connect stuff to other stuff: grapple a helicopter to a static object (say a pole) and it'll fly in circles around that pole, grapple a fast moving car to the ground and it'll flip, grapple a person to the back of a moving car and they'll get dragged along, etc. Obviously it'd be a bit more toned down in a DX game, but imagine the traps you could set for unwary AI...

jcd3nt0n
17th Dec 2010, 19:25
When the MGS2 demo was released, i played it so much that the dvd became dust. A very good demo that do not revealed 15% of the game. DX:HR deserves a demo like that one! :mad2: :mad:

Balmora
17th Dec 2010, 20:02
If only they added a bit more to the MGS 2 Demo, we could have played the whole Tanker part (Solid Snake), leaving everything else behind (Raiden and the infamous Patriots).

The demo surely shows the best part of this game.

jcd3nt0n
17th Dec 2010, 20:13
The best, maybe, but centainly not the biggest! :mad2: :mad:

K^2
17th Dec 2010, 22:13
Yeah, Just Cause 2 had a PC demo as well, and indeed it was on Steam I believe.
Yup. I downloaded JC2 demon on Steam, and after the first ride on a propane tank I knew that I'm buying the game.

Pinky_Powers
17th Dec 2010, 23:34
Yup. I downloaded JC2 demon on Steam, and after the first ride on a propane tank I knew that I'm buying the game.

Alright, alright already! I'm downloading it now.

Jerion
17th Dec 2010, 23:38
Alright, alright already! I'm downloading it now.

You will be most pleased.

Maffis
17th Dec 2010, 23:59
owh, went in here thinking a demo was just released because of the title :(

oh well, i still have my donkey kong.

OneUp733
18th Dec 2010, 03:01
No demo eh?

Holding out till the release.

[FGS]Shadowrunner
18th Dec 2010, 03:09
So I take it, for a lot of people, the EG gameplay videos aren't good enough?

I got a lot out of them. Was fairly immersive for me. Have watched them hundreds of times.

Rindill the Red
18th Dec 2010, 07:38

I liked the demo but didn't purchase because while the world and engine were absolutely mind boggling (Oblivion and GTA don't have nothing on it), it kept making me wish for a depth it just doesn't have. Blowing stuff up and driving/flying/parachuting/boating/etc. around and such is fun but I get tired of it really quickly: the game doesn't have much staying power.

These things erged me too much:
1. Spawning enemies (vs. static enemies + reinforcements)
2. Stealth just isn't there... everything devolves into a huge battle or I have to run away.
3. Storyline sucks/non-existent
4. Bland cookie-cutter quests

It's possible to have a deep storyline and gameplay, creative quests, and crazy fun explosions and outrageous action movie stuff all together, if you want to.

All they have to do is fix these things and I'll probably get Just Cause 3.