PDA

View Full Version : English trailer is up

MaxxQ1
17th Sep 2010, 15:19
http://www.deusex.com/

TrickyVein
17th Sep 2010, 15:19
First Post!

So that voice at the end "It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here" sounds voice-boxed, i.e. synthetic - might it be a prototype AI?

mad825
17th Sep 2010, 15:25
damn it, no youtube link?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
17th Sep 2010, 15:26
First Post!

So that voice at the end "It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here" sounds voice-boxed, i.e. synthetic - might it be a prototype AI?

Eliza, the Picus TV Newsreader?

Pinky_Powers
17th Sep 2010, 15:26
Oh dear! :eek: The writing on this is levels above the E3 trailer! I didn't have any real complaint with the last one, but this truly moves something in me. I love it!

Eliza, the Picus TV Newsreader?

That was my thought. And it excited me.

TrickyVein
17th Sep 2010, 15:27
^^ Oh gosh, I'd forgotten about her. Well, she wouldn't be saying that on the air - to AJ in private, most certainly.

AlexOfSpades
17th Sep 2010, 15:28
WOW
WOW
WOW
WOW

wait i cant watch
i'm at my office

aaaaaaaaaaaa

Watch it for me guys.

Coyotegrey
17th Sep 2010, 15:31
It's also here, and being hosted by our spiffy new YouTube account.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5cq6ZfaWXI&hd=1

Ilves
17th Sep 2010, 15:32
Finally some fleshing out of the story! That end of the world phrase is golden. And yeah, what's with the eerie intonation & flanger effect? :nut:

The writing on this is levels above the E3 trailer! [...] this truly moves something in me. I love it!

:thumb:

I just love that the threat seems to be coming from the transhumanist camp; I wasn't expecting that. What are the odds that this Purity First assault on Sarif follows the same template as the NSF attacking UNATCO?
Rocket-Adam notwithstanding, hype-o-meter up!

edit: Oh, and is it just my imagination or does Barrett's catchphrase sound a lot more mature here?

Shadowdagger
17th Sep 2010, 15:33
http://www.deusex.com/

lol, did I hear Adam saying "derp" in this trailer? :lol:

Anyway - I love, love, love it! :D

Lady_Of_The_Vine
17th Sep 2010, 15:38
"They're more than human. They're like you. Find them..."

I particularly love that line. :cool:

This game trailer is one of the best ever. Great job EM... and thank you. :thumb:

MaxxQ1
17th Sep 2010, 15:39
lol, did I hear Adam saying "derp" in this trailer? :lol:

Anyway - I love, love, love it! :D

Nope. It was Sarif saying, "... to her."

Full line is, "I'm sorry for what happened to you... to her."

Shadowdagger
17th Sep 2010, 15:41
Nope. It was Sarif saying, "... to her."

Oh, okay. Because it sounds like "derp" to me :D

Pinky_Powers
17th Sep 2010, 15:43
That end of the world phrase is golden.

I know! Right?

I always liked it, but hearing it spoken, and spoken so well! Bloody outstanding!

The line "They even control our minds" could have been really cheesy. But coupled with actually seeing a mind getting hacked, makes it one of the most powerful moments in the whole thing.

Excellent work all-around! :thumb: :thumb: for EM, SE and Goldtooth!

JobeGDG
17th Sep 2010, 15:45
"You look like a new man."
"Right; fresh out of the package."

I love the pulpiness of that exchange. It's what Philip Marlowe would say if he was returning to work after being mechanically augmented with no choice in the matter.

Oh, okay. Because it sounds like "derp" to me :D

Aw, damn, now that you've said that, I can't think of anything else when I hear it.

"I'm sorry for what happened to you. Durrrp."

avenging_teabag
17th Sep 2010, 15:49
RIP, Bland Scientist Chick, we hardly knew ye.

Watching the trailer and understanding what's actually being said, I like it lots better than the Japanese one. Or maybe I just got used to the rocket.

And the finishing line is terrific.

Tecman
17th Sep 2010, 15:49
Interesting new take on Barrett as well.

TrickyVein
17th Sep 2010, 15:53
^^ How so?

ZakKa89
17th Sep 2010, 15:55
http://www.gametrailers.com

Tecman
17th Sep 2010, 15:56
^^ How so?
The voice is not comically over-the-top like in the leak or the PAX video? In other words, it doesn't want to make me rip out my ears, so cheers for that.

TrickyVein
17th Sep 2010, 15:57
I've gotta say - that's pretty intense when you see him leap into the air and smash into Adam like he does. I know we've seen it before, but I can relate to what you're saying.

Ilves
17th Sep 2010, 15:58
^ The boy scout line is definitely re-recorded. -Or at least a different instant. It's a lot more subdued.

Pinky_Powers
17th Sep 2010, 15:58
Interesting new take on Barrett as well.

A better way of saying this would be: "It's interesting, they used a new take on Barrett's line."

I do agree, however; the new take does somehow sound less terrible then before, but still cringe-worthy... for me, at least.

TrickyVein
17th Sep 2010, 16:02
I liked his previous "I'll take you to HELL!" That was pretty fitting for his character I thought. Both are well apt.

mad825
17th Sep 2010, 16:03

cheers. :thumb:

data restriction always gets fooled by youtube.

Tecman
17th Sep 2010, 16:03
It wasn't the Hell line that was almost insulting, it was the Boyscout one. In this version. they actually made it bearable.

lithos
17th Sep 2010, 16:09
Still too cheesy for my liking.

H.D.Case
17th Sep 2010, 16:10
This just proves what I always say to my friends - throw out those garbage games with ****ty story and writing and shiny-shiny graphics (it's to you HF2!). It is dialogue that makes a game. Watching this with intelligible (for me ;) ) dialogue, my impressions were totally different than when I watched the English version. With the Japanese one, my reaction was kinda indifferent, I was even annoyed by the randomness of music. This time I felt it totally fitted and the dialogue made me comfortably positive about the video.
Very nice, very nice. Even though I almost subconsciously feel negative about the explicitness of the "bad guys" from the very start, it still feels good. Thanks for the up! ;)

@Coyote:
Why a new channel? Should we unsubscribe to the old one?

Pinky_Powers
17th Sep 2010, 16:13
@Coyote:
Why a new channel? Should we unsubscribe to the old one?

There was an old one?

:(

JobeGDG
17th Sep 2010, 16:13
Even though I almost subconsciously feel negative about the explicitness of the "bad guys" [...]

I'm getting some of that, too… I just remind myself that Simons and Page were revealed as foes in DX's introduction, and the feeling goes away.

ZakKa89
17th Sep 2010, 16:14
Adam in a rocket in a spacesuit still looks silly T_T

KSingh77
17th Sep 2010, 16:15
We are being attack by an invisible enemy.

Ready to wage an invisible war.

JobeGDG
17th Sep 2010, 16:19

That's the line that bugged me the most, not because of the IW flashbacks, but because the voice actor sounded like he was having trouble enunciating the words, which in turn made him sound like he was reading from a script. The emphasis felt unnatural.

Ilves
Oh, and just for the record: This version blows the Japanese voice acting out of the water.

Pinky_Powers
I'm getting some of that, too… I just remind myself that Simons and Page were revealed as foes in DX's introduction, and the feeling goes away.

And we do know from EM the game will hold numerous characters whose alliances are a mystery. So we shouldn't begrudge them a few clear villains... especially ones that are more foot-soldiers and not figureheads.

Jong
17th Sep 2010, 16:21
Adam in a rocket in a spacesuit still looks silly T_T:rolleyes:

Glad people seem to have chilled out a bit now they've seen the trailer in English. Come on everyone... this is a cool, no very cool, trailer. My biggest fear is it cannot possibly live up to my expectations, not that I might need to suffer a few seconds of Adam in a rocket! :mad2: (:))

Oh, and just for the record: This version blows the Japanese voice acting out of the water.:) I totally agree.

ZakKa89
17th Sep 2010, 16:24
:) I totally agree.

I disagree. I actually really like the japanese voiceacting and woldnt mind playing the game a second time with japanese voices. But that's me, I'm a sucker for japanese voices.

avenging_teabag
17th Sep 2010, 16:24
Oh, and just for the record: This version blows the Japanese voice acting out of the water.
+1
In the Jap version all the male actors sounded the same to me.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
17th Sep 2010, 16:25
Still too cheesy for my liking.
A bottle of Château Yquem should help with this problem.

Pinky_Powers
17th Sep 2010, 16:27
I disagree. I actually really like the japanese voiceacting and woldnt mind playing the game a second time with japanese voices. But that's me, I'm a sucker for japanese voices.

You watch too much Animé. This is far more Deus Ex.

lithos
17th Sep 2010, 16:28
A bottle of Château Yquem should help with this problem.

Don't drink. Wouldn't touch French wine even if I did.

MaxxQ1
17th Sep 2010, 16:29
Oh, and just for the record: This version blows.

Fixed.

;) :rasp:

Coyotegrey
17th Sep 2010, 16:30
There was an old one?

Exactly. I wanted to start fresh. The old one's going offline soon...

Pinky_Powers
17th Sep 2010, 16:32
Well, can't please everybody, I guess. There's always going to be a cross-section of folk unhappy.

But I'm happy with it, and that's all anyone should care about.

The Monochrome Man
17th Sep 2010, 16:34
There was an old one?

http://www.youtube.com/user/DeusExOfficial

For some reason, the videos get more views and comments on the Machinima (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6JTvzrpBy0) channel. That always annoys me - they slap an irritating watermark at the start and end of everything and run ads, yet people still go to them instead of the source? Pah.

Still, Nice effect on Eliza's (?) voice. I'm just hoping she doesn't go all SHODAN on us. :)

H.D.Case
17th Sep 2010, 16:35
There was an old one?

There were (are?) two at least. http://www.youtube.com/user/EidosMTL and http://www.youtube.com/user/deusexthree .

@ Jobe and Pinky - Let us hope. Let us hope :)

Jong
17th Sep 2010, 16:35
A bottle of Château Yquem should help with this problem.Quercegrossa, 2015, for me, everytime.

Pinky_Powers
17th Sep 2010, 16:37
I'm just hoping she doesn't go all SHODAN on us. :)

:eek:

I'm hoping that she does. But before we go at it like arch-enemies, I shall recline on her lofty bed and observe her in a delicate and carnal striptease.

Dr_Bob
17th Sep 2010, 16:41
Great trailer, the music cues make a lot more sense when you understand what's being said.

That's the line that bugged me the most, not because of the IW flashbacks, but because the voice actor sounded like he was having trouble enunciating the words, which in turn made him sound like he was reading from a script. The emphasis felt unnatural.

Yeah, I was annoyed a little by this, too.

Pinky_Powers
17th Sep 2010, 16:46
So, are we expecting any new information and $h1t at this Show? Or will it just be the GamesCom demo again?

Tecman
17th Sep 2010, 16:51
So, are we expecting any new information and $h1t at this Show? Or will it just be the GamesCom demo again?
I'm guessing we'll see; the last two days (this weekend) are actually open to the public.

The Monochrome Man
17th Sep 2010, 16:56
:eek:

I'm hoping that she does. But before we go at it like arch-enemies, I want to see her do a striptease.

Why would you want her to go all SHODAN on us? Can't we have a nice, non-murderous AI for a change? Skynet, SHODAN, GlaDOS, Icarus, Tycho, Durandal, AM...

Although HR would be a good game to pull the 'Look at you hacker (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsgRNahEZnw)' line back out. Still...

With regards to the striptease, I'm not convinced she has a physical presence. Look back at the second trailer ('I'll never stop looking') - when she appears on the screen for the first time, the 'ghost' image on the left of the screen has her head facing a different direction in relation to her body than the main image, yet the lipsynch is perfect. If you strip a digital projection, what do you get? Wireframe?

I should note for anyone not following the conversation that I'm firmly in the 'Eliza is an AI' theorists camp.

azarhal
17th Sep 2010, 16:56
I'm not a fan of Sarif's voice or at least the delivery of his lines either and the voice at the end have the AI "filter" from the first Deus Ex.

Also, the "hacker hacked" remind me so much of Ghost in the Shell (it's not a bad thing, I love GitS).

Tecman
17th Sep 2010, 16:59
I should note for anyone not following the conversation that I'm firmly in the 'Eliza is an AI' theorists camp.
I'll actually be surprised if it turns out this isn't the case. And I wonder if they won't resurrect the old "Ada" in some capacity...

Ilves
17th Sep 2010, 16:59
I disagree. [...] But that's me, I'm a sucker for japanese voices.

So am I. But I make a distinction between good voice quality and good characterization. The Japanese version doesn't hold a candle to Toufexis in terms of personality, for one.

To each his own, I guess. ;)

WildcatPhoenix
17th Sep 2010, 17:01
I not a fan of Sarif's voice or at least the delivery of his lines either and the voice at the end have the AI "filter" from the first Deus Ex.

Yeah it's actually Sarif's voice that bugs me this time, but I have to admit that the dreaded "Boyscout" line was much improved this time...at least in terms of delivery.

Not bad. B- trailer for me, maybe a B+ with the very Deus Ex like music in the middle.

Jong
17th Sep 2010, 17:04
Not bad. B- trailer for me, maybe a B+ with the very Deus Ex like music in the middle.Tough crowd! :)

nomotog
17th Sep 2010, 17:13
Did we see a lot of game-play footage in that?

Dead-Eye
17th Sep 2010, 17:30
So what happened to her...

I guess we start the game with our girlfriend dead or kidnapped.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
17th Sep 2010, 17:36
Anyone asking questions about the Tokyo Game Show trailer, please can they copy/paste into the new thread here:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=1495511#post1495511

We can then keep the Questions to EM thread separate for questions relating to the game itself.

Xenoc
17th Sep 2010, 18:01

Awesome just subscribed to your spiffy new account

KSingh77
17th Sep 2010, 18:04
I was expected a blond kid with a big ass sword to come in and rescue Adam from Barrett's grip.

TheYouthCounselor
17th Sep 2010, 18:12
Who is substitute Anna Navarre Rihanna shooting at? Chris Brown?

Ashpolt
17th Sep 2010, 18:18

Can't unhear that! Damn! That post made me laugh before I'd even seen the trailer. To be fair, the word durp (or derp) in pretty much any circumstance makes me laugh.

Did we see a lot of game-play footage in that?

We saw none. It was all pre-rendered.

---

Anyway, I thought it was an OK trailer. Compared to the first pre-rendered one, it didn't have the same level of atmosphere IMO: most of this felt fairly flat to me (possibly because we'd seen a lot of it before, but I'm not certain it was that.) On the plus side, Barrett's voice - or at least delivery of "that" line - has definitely improved, as others have noted. I wonder if that was due to feedback or if EM themselves weren't happy with the first take? Back to negatives again, I find Sarif's voice pretty flat. He doesn't enunciate much and it almost makes me fall asleep. I don't want SHOUTING ALL THE TIME XTREME, but not sounding bored would be a good start! And the rocket part's still meh. Overall, I'll average out WildcatPhoenix's B-/B+ to a straight B.

But as before, it's just a pre-rendered trailer, and it kinda depresses me to see how many people are getting hyped for the game from this, considering how little it actually tells us about the game. It's marketing at its most cynical: show them something flashy but soulless. And it's worked like a charm. :(

Lady_Of_The_Vine
17th Sep 2010, 18:25
But as before, it's just a pre-rendered trailer, and it kinda depresses me to see how many people are getting hyped for the game from this, considering how little it actually tells us about the game. It's marketing at its most cynical: show them something flashy but soulless. And it's worked like a charm. :(

Seriously...?? :eek: It depresses you that people actually like what they see?
We all know we're getting eye-candy. We're JUST appreciating the trailer for what it is... that's all.

AxiomaticBadger
17th Sep 2010, 18:50
Glorious. The closing line makes me feel all tingly. What a voice!

For some reason I'm getting a real "Greg Mandel" feel from the trailers. Is it just me?

II J0SePh X II
17th Sep 2010, 18:54
I like the overall seriousness of the tone. Seems every game out there is full of wisecracks or self-referential humour. Nobody wants to be accused of taking themselves too seriously, but I think in this case it would be justified.

Shinrei
17th Sep 2010, 19:06
Awesome trailer in both languages (but I'll prefer the english version)...good job SE/EM!

As most of the people here on the board, I'm quiet impressed by the writing especially the last line in the trailer:

"It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here"

Hopefully the complete game has such high quality writing and a complex script, fingers crossed for EM! :D

demon boy
17th Sep 2010, 19:29
Can't unhear that! Damn! That post made me laugh before I'd even seen the trailer. To be fair, the word durp (or derp) in pretty much any circumstance makes me laugh.

We saw none. It was all pre-rendered.

---

Anyway, I thought it was an OK trailer. Compared to the first pre-rendered one, it didn't have the same level of atmosphere IMO: most of this felt fairly flat to me (possibly because we'd seen a lot of it before, but I'm not certain it was that.) On the plus side, Barrett's voice - or at least delivery of "that" line - has definitely improved, as others have noted. I wonder if that was due to feedback or if EM themselves weren't happy with the first take? Back to negatives again, I find Sarif's voice pretty flat. He doesn't enunciate much and it almost makes me fall asleep. I don't want SHOUTING ALL THE TIME XTREME, but not sounding bored would be a good start! And the rocket part's still meh. Overall, I'll average out WildcatPhoenix's B-/B+ to a straight B.

I'm going to let you in on a crazy little piece of information. Some people actually care about the story. That might sound wild to you but it's actually true. The gameplay is, of course, extremely important but the story matters too for a lot of us.

For me, it doesn't matter how tight the gameplay is if the story is just run of the mill, cookie cutter stuff. A lot of popular games like Gears of War, Halo, Crysis, Modern Warfare and many more are just rentals for me because I can't just play Contra anymore. I get bored of a game if the plot doesn't make me want to see what happens next and if the characters seem paper-thin. Of course the gameplay is even more important. I can't tell you how much I wanted to like Assassin's Creed but I just couldn't.

As for the rocket thing; I'm not sure why people are getting their panties in a bunch about it. We have no context whatsoever for that scene. Without knowing anything about it, some people want to complain. Seriously, try to enjoy life from time to time.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
17th Sep 2010, 19:39
I'm going to let you in on a crazy little piece of information. Some people actually care about the story. That might sound wild to you but it's actually true. The gameplay is, of course, extremely important but the story matters too for a lot of us.

Seconded.

The Monochrome Man
17th Sep 2010, 19:43
I take it you prefer older films like T2, Robocop and Demolition Man to newer stuff like [Insert Micheal Bay Film Here] then, demonboy?

That's the main reason I'm following HR myself. It's great to see a game with a storytelling focus being pushed as much as HR seems to be. There's a whole generation of gamers that haven't really seen that outside of linear FF style games, so I'm hoping that this will be the one that makes them realise what they're missing.

Ashpolt
17th Sep 2010, 19:57

Sure, story is important to me too - secondary to gameplay, but still important. But this trailer, like the others, doesn't really tell you a lot about story either (and quite rightly so, because while you may want to know as much about gameplay mechanics as you can up front, you don't want the story to be spoiled.) What do you really get about the story from this trailer, especially if we don't count stuff that we knew from the previous ones? Other than a new location (with no context) and a set-piece (which aren't "story" as such but count on that side of things) I don't think there's much info there. Oh, and we get to see Fedorova killing some people, and looking like she's enjoying it, so we get a small insight into her character. Like I say, I'm fine with it not giving us too much story info - I don't want to know too much about that up front - but it tells us little about the story, nothing the gameplay, so what are we left with? Exactly what I said originally: that this is a shiny, destracting but ultimately empty piece of nothingness. Especially disappointing considering how little actual in-game stuff we've seen so far.

And @ MyImmortal: No, of course it doesn't actually depress me, that would just be silly, it was a turn of phrase. But I do find it disheartening that people can be won over so easily. You say people are just judging it as a trailer, but how many comments have you seen (not so much from this trailer, but certainly from the first and second pre-rendered ones) where people have said, essentially, "this looks awesome! I'm definitely buying this game!" That's not judging the trailer, that's judging the game itself, based on the trailer, which is very little reflection on the game itself. And SE / EM have obviously noticed this (and how comparatively indifferent the response to the actual in-engine - I'm loathe to actually call it "gameplay" - trailer was) and this is why we're getting more pre-rendered stuff, I imagine. Certainly the impression I got from René around the time of the first trailer was that SE qere only making one full trailer and the teaser.

Shralla
17th Sep 2010, 19:57
Everybody on Kotaku is talking about how the game "needs" a Japanese voice track.

Irate_Iguana
17th Sep 2010, 19:58
Aw, damn, now that you've said that, I can't think of anything else when I hear it.

Damn you! I can't unhear it. I had to restart the trailer four times because I kept having fits of laughter after hearing that.

Fun fact. There was no story in the trailer. All you got to see was what we had already and a description of a global conspiracy. I doubt anyone expect anything else than a global conspiracy from a Deus Ex game. So while you may love this game for the story, this trailer showed you nothing to get exited about.

People are being shown flashy explosions and action scenes. It is all empty. Ashpolt is right in saying that it is troubling that people are getting exited about a game while they know nothing about the gameplay or the story. If all you want from a game is pretty graphics and gunfight than this trailer was something to get hyped about. If you wanted something else than it is odd to start drooling over the game because of this trailer.

As for the rocket thing; I'm not sure why people are getting their panties in a bunch about it. We have no context whatsoever for that scene. Without knowing anything about it, some people want to complain. Seriously, try to enjoy life from time to time.

Or you could read the other thread and find out why people are against it. Everyone who didn't like it for whatever reason had a post explaining their thoughts. But it is easier to just file away everyone under "w for whiner".

Lady_Of_The_Vine
17th Sep 2010, 20:13
Sure, story is important to me too - secondary to gameplay, but still important. But this trailer, like the others, doesn't really tell you a lot about story either...
We know it doesn't tell us a lot about the story, and neither do we want to know too much about it. But it's fun to speculate on what the plot could be from the images we have been shown.

But I do find it disheartening that people can be won over so easily. You say people are just judging it as a trailer, but how many comments have you seen (not so much from this trailer, but certainly from the first and second pre-rendered ones) where people have said, essentially, "this looks awesome! I'm definitely buying this game!" That's not judging the trailer, that's judging the game itself, based on the trailer, which is very little reflection on the game itself. .
Sure, some people have said 'this looks awesome' and declared they are definitely buying the game (nobody has said it in THIS thread afaik), but so what? Their choice.

This thread is about discussing the trailer, so nothing to feel disheartened about.

zombieturtle01
17th Sep 2010, 20:15
Damnnn the dialogue in that trailer was campy.

JCpies
17th Sep 2010, 20:16
The gameplay is, of course, extremely important but the story matters too for a lot of us.

You're wrong, most of the people here love running down straight roads, dodging and shooting seemingly endless 'clones' of soldiers.

Ninjerk
17th Sep 2010, 20:31
I think the thing that stood out to me the most was when Alex's boss-guy says, "They are more than human." Hopefully there was some purpose behind this line when it was written.

WildcatPhoenix
17th Sep 2010, 20:49
I think the thing that stood out to me the most was when Alex's boss-guy says, "They are more than human." Hopefully there was some purpose behind this line when it was written.

It's lines like these that have me concerned. They are waaaaay too melodramatic. The aforementioned "trailer syndrome" that we all discussed when the original trailer debuted is still in full effect. Lines like:

"You'll NEVER find 'em!" "I'll never stop looking."
"I never asked for this..."
"We are fighting an invisible enemy."
"They are more than human."

etc. simply reek of the generic "epic" storytelling style that plagues far too many games. I call them "duh duh DUH" lines.

But the trailer has some good dialogue as well. I do like the "fresh out of the package" line. That is interesting dialogue, and it conveys the fact that Adam doesn't seem all that happy about being glued/stapled/taped back together with these shiny new arms. Compare that to the "I never asked for this." You can express this sentiment without being so blunt about it. I also think they did a good job improving Barrett's infamous boyscout line, and of course, the "not the end of the world" is well-delivered and pretty well written too.

I know I'm nitpicking, but good dialogue is essential to a game like Deus Ex. I hope we get more of the good stuff, less of the cornball Hollywood trailer fodder.

Anasumtj
17th Sep 2010, 20:57

Hey buddy, I think you missed something here.

Jerion
17th Sep 2010, 21:06
Dialogue was a little iffy though the writing is definitely up a notch or three. The pacing seemed a bit more 'rock-n-roll' compared to the first one. :)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
17th Sep 2010, 21:12
Does anyone have any questions about the trailer?
If so, please see this thread:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=113608

Jong
17th Sep 2010, 21:58
I hear people simultaneously saying "you know nothing about the story or gameplay from this trailer" yet also saying "this looks superficial/dumbed down/corny". It is a trailer, IMO a darn fine cinematic trailer. It was never going to enlighten us much about any of those things.

I agree with MyImmortal when he said he was enjoying it for what it is, not for what some hoped they might have given us. Even gameplay demos can be deceiving. I remember playing the Invisible War demo and being pretty happy until I realised the demo (one bar (I think :scratch:) and a passageway either end was about the size of any IW level!

For me the trailers are well grounded in the Deus Ex world and, minor script issues aside, seems to show an intelligent story line with potential for real depth. So far I have no idea about the gameplay, one way or the other. What has been shown so far is not even attempting to answer the questions being raised by some here and trying to extrapolate answers is a futile exercise.

Now whether the final game is worthy of the original, who knows; There are many great Hollywood trailers for truly dreadful films. But so far my appetite is truly whetted.

IOOI
17th Sep 2010, 22:12
Seconded.

...not

back to 1. :rasp:

Fluffis
17th Sep 2010, 22:25
Two things:
1. Voice acting: I kind of fell for the Japanese VA. The guy who plays Sarif doesn't sound like he's about to fall asleep. The end line of the trailer was great in Japanese; the English version sounded a bit too... boring. Adam has a better VA in English, though the Japanese one was definitely good enough.
I dunno... I kind of hope there is a Japanese audio track for the game (with subs, preferably, since my Japanese is not that good). I think it would be cool to play that world in Japanese.

2. (This is for Coyotegrey) Could you guys put up a 1080p version of the English trailer on youtube too?

Pinky_Powers
17th Sep 2010, 22:34
The end line of the trailer was great in Japanese; the English version sounded a bit too... boring.

Subtly, mate. There was a world of depth in the English delivery, but it was beautifully subtle. It was anything but boring.

Fluffis
17th Sep 2010, 22:38
Subtly, mate. There was a world of depth in the English delivery, but it was beautifully subtle. It was anything but boring.

No... I'm pretty sure it was boring. It sounded kind of like a stereotypical AI voice. You know, the female AI who tries to sound like HAL 9000.

Coyotegrey
17th Sep 2010, 22:40
Two things:
1. Voice acting: I kind of fell for the Japanese VA. The guy who plays Sarif doesn't sound like he's about to fall asleep. The end line of the trailer was great in Japanese; the English version sounded a bit too... boring. Adam has a better VA in English, though the Japanese one was definitely good enough.
I dunno... I kind of hope there is a Japanese audio track for the game (with subs, preferably, since my Japanese is not that good). I think it would be cool to play that world in Japanese.

2. (This is for Coyotegrey) Could you guys put up a 1080p version of the English trailer on youtube too?

I'm not sure if we have one, but I'll check around. But since everyone's gone here, and I won't be back in the office until Thursday, don't come a-knockin' at my door if I don't have a response for a few days.

Pinky_Powers
17th Sep 2010, 22:51
No... I'm pretty sure it was boring. It sounded kind of like a stereotypical AI voice. You know, the female AI who tries to sound like HAL 9000.

There's a lot more going on in that voice than your "stereotypical" AI, to the extent it's not even a sure-thing that it is an AI. I believe that it is, but only just.

Clean out your ears. You're frightfully deaf to things that aren't screaming at you.

jtr7
17th Sep 2010, 22:52
Isn't it likely her voice sounds like that because she's on a TV in a scene we haven't watched to get the context of?

demon boy
17th Sep 2010, 22:53
Sure, story is important to me too - secondary to gameplay, but still important. But this trailer, like the others, doesn't really tell you a lot about story either (and quite rightly so, because while you may want to know as much about gameplay mechanics as you can up front, you don't want the story to be spoiled.) What do you really get about the story from this trailer, especially if we don't count stuff that we knew from the previous ones? Other than a new location (with no context) and a set-piece (which aren't "story" as such but count on that side of things) I don't think there's much info there. Oh, and we get to see Fedorova killing some people, and looking like she's enjoying it, so we get a small insight into her character. Like I say, I'm fine with it not giving us too much story info - I don't want to know too much about that up front - but it tells us little about the story, nothing the gameplay, so what are we left with? Exactly what I said originally: that this is a shiny, destracting but ultimately empty piece of nothingness. Especially disappointing considering how little actual in-game stuff we've seen so far.

And @ MyImmortal: No, of course it doesn't actually depress me, that would just be silly, it was a turn of phrase. But I do find it disheartening that people can be won over so easily. You say people are just judging it as a trailer, but how many comments have you seen (not so much from this trailer, but certainly from the first and second pre-rendered ones) where people have said, essentially, "this looks awesome! I'm definitely buying this game!" That's not judging the trailer, that's judging the game itself, based on the trailer, which is very little reflection on the game itself. And SE / EM have obviously noticed this (and how comparatively indifferent the response to the actual in-engine - I'm loathe to actually call it "gameplay" - trailer was) and this is why we're getting more pre-rendered stuff, I imagine. Certainly the impression I got from René around the time of the first trailer was that SE qere only making one full trailer and the teaser.

Honestly and with no offense intended, I think you are looking for way too much out of this game. This is a game. It's a piece of entertainment. What's more, we're only talking about a trailer for the game. As you have noted, the trailer certainly shouldn't give away the actual plot. To say that the trailer tells nothing about the story is a bit absurd though. We are introduced to characters, given a glimpse of some plot points and shown some of the larger themes that will be explored.

Video game trailers (and movie trailers for that matter) are designed to whet the appetite. They are designed to provide a glimpse into what the final product is all about and also act as an advertisment for the final product while simultaneously not ruining the experience by divulging too much information. I'm not sure what more you were expecting but I've never seen a cinematic trailer that delivered anything more than that.

I don't think anyone has been "won over so easily". All that's happening is that people are seeing the amount of effort and the level of quality that is going into the game and many of us are optomistic about how things are shaping up. Now you might have a different opinion and you are entitled to it but, to me, things are looking good so far.

3nails4you
17th Sep 2010, 23:04
I REALLY want to just go ahead and get this soundtrack. WOW! Great trailer!

IOOI
17th Sep 2010, 23:18
Honestly and with no offense intended, I think you are looking for way too much out of this game. This is a game. It's a piece of entertainment.

I would want something between a serious game and a videogame. With some parts of simulation with lots of physic objects allowing great interactivity and player agency. It should have a compelling world and characters with great atmosphere. I should be able to play it at my own pace and I should be able to view the world through the character's eyes for most of the time.

Deus Ex, I can haz it? :3

Fluffis
17th Sep 2010, 23:19
I'm not sure if we have one, but I'll check around. But since everyone's gone here, and I won't be back in the office until Thursday, don't come a-knockin' at my door if I don't have a response for a few days.

If there isn't one, it's no biggie. It would just be cool.

There's a lot more going on in that voice than your "stereotypical" AI, to the extent it's not even a sure-thing that it is an AI. I believe that it is, but only just.

Clean out your ears. You're frightfully deaf to things that aren't screaming at you.

Then tell me, o Pinky_Ears, what do you hear in that voice?
Bear in mind that I only meant that it was boring when compared to the Japanese voice, which I thought was a lot more ominous, though still in a very subtle way. Compared to the English version, the Japanese one actually gave me a shiver down my spine.

Deltaslayer
17th Sep 2010, 23:28
I REALLY want to just go ahead and get this soundtrack. WOW! Great trailer!

This.

Pinky_Powers
17th Sep 2010, 23:48
Then tell me, o Pinky_Ears, what do you hear in that voice?
Bear in mind that I only meant that it was boring when compared to the Japanese voice, which I thought was a lot more ominous, though still in a very subtle way. Compared to the English version, the Japanese one actually gave me a shiver down my spine.

It's hard to say exactly... but those shivers you experienced under the Japanese version are familiar to me as well. The English delivery was very powerful in that same way... only with a dread subtly.

Bushmonster
17th Sep 2010, 23:53
you can almost sense a hint of exhausted-ness of barrets voice, like he was a good guy once, and feels a tiny bit sympathetic for AJ.

that would bring a good bit roundness to barret

FrankCSIS
17th Sep 2010, 23:54
Kyle was right, it is the best cut yet. I wonder what happened to Sarif, though. His lines were better served in the first trailer, and his dialogue, while a lot shorter, was more intriguing and interesting.

I'm wondering though, if they truly realise what works and what doesn't. You have some golden lines in there, and, as others mentionned, some seriously questionnable ones. The ratio is about half and half, which in a way is pretty good, but somewhat worrisome when you stop to think about it.

On the plus side, while we know nothing of the actual conspiracy from this trailer (and I'm glad we don't), it manages to be a great deal more intriguing than the first one. On the bad side, it lost some subtlety. The first one only suggested the riot was artificially derailed by people looking to entice chaos, while this one flats out explains it, both in images and through the dialogue. Again, there is some black and white hit and miss here, with very little in between.

Still overall better.

beastrn
18th Sep 2010, 00:09
O5jZ-920YmA

The Monochrome Man
18th Sep 2010, 00:49
Isn't it likely her voice sounds like that because she's on a TV in a scene we haven't watched to get the context of?

No, there's a chorus within the voice, as if she's saying the same line several times over herself. SHODAN did something similar, but there was a lot more separation between the layers of SHODAN's voice. It's this 'chorus of one' that I think is making the 's' sounds so pronounced. If it was coming from a TV or radio, it would either sound normal, hollow or have a slight echo depending on the acoustics of the room. What we have instead is something that's clean, but plural.

There's also something that sounds like a detuned autotune running underneath it, and some very heavy attack on some of the syllables. Listen to the way the individual words start and end - especially the gap between 'from' and 'here'. when you speak naturally your voice tends to roll between the words - your voice doesn't cut off entirely. Our disembodied friend, on the other hand, has a very strong delineation between the words.

Maybe it's just because I'm not familiar with the Japanese pronunciations, but the Japanese voice at this point just sounds like a normal woman to me?

In any case, neither of the actors are monotone (which is the stereotype for AI), which suggest she's either sentient at some level or has been taking lessons from a certain Ms Hatsune.

jjc
18th Sep 2010, 01:15
Who is substitute Anna Navarre Rihanna shooting at? Chris Brown?

Sir, may I have the honor of naming my first born after you?

No matter how many times I hear that music, coupled with the images it never fails to give me chills.

Serendip1ty
18th Sep 2010, 04:31

I'll actually be surprised if it turns out this isn't the case. And I wonder if they won't resurrect the old "Ada" in some capacity...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ELIZA

Her name is a very obvious wink so she must be an AI.

Glad to see an AI return but my only problem is she *seems* to be self-aware based on the last trailer. But wasn't Morpheus supposed to be the first AI to actually have a sentience/self-awareness? So she doesn't fit in the original DX timeline if she is... or maybe they will have an explanation for it in the game.

jtr7
18th Sep 2010, 05:47
Morpheus:
-I was a prototype for Echelon IV.
-I am a prototype for a much larger system. The heuristics language developed by Dr. Everett allows me to convey the highest and most succinct tier of any pyramidal construct of knowledge.
-Everrett: An old prototype -- for Daedalus, actually.
-Alex: The Echelon kernel was designed almost exclusively for collecting data, so we have to add functionality for memory wipes, thread termination, that kind of thing.

Daedalus:
-Everrett: Daedalus is a design of mine; it replaced the old Echelon III network.
-Everrett: a blip of his code runs on every communication device on the planet.
-Alex: Crypto says Daedalus was supposedly a government AI project, also known as Echelon IV.
-Alex: Daedalus was supposed to beat the old content-recognition problem in surveillance; it was a program that could search all the terabytes of intercepted messages for subversive content.
-MJ12 Troop 2: UNATCO got Echelon IV back up.
-JC Denton: Echelon... the surveillance system for the United Nations -- so Daedalus was an MJ12 tool and rebelled?
-Sam Carter: Icarus was the same system with a few modifications.

Icarus:
-Bob Page: The security here is adequate, and we have a long-term program guaranteed to make him irrelevant. We call it Icarus.
-Bob Page: Don't worry about Daedalus. I've made some improvements to Icarus that might surprise even Everett.
-Sam Carter: UNATCO was aware that the Daedalus system had become unreliable, but no one knew why.
-Gary Savage: [Everett] said something about an artificial intelligence, the Echelon system, something called Icarus and Daedalus...?

Helios:
-We are Daedalus. We are Icarus. The barriers between us have fallen and we have become -- our own shadows. We can be more if we join... with you.

lithos
18th Sep 2010, 09:17
It's lines like these that have me concerned. They are waaaaay too melodramatic. The aforementioned "trailer syndrome" that we all discussed when the original trailer debuted is still in full effect. Lines like:

"You'll NEVER find 'em!" "I'll never stop looking."
"I never asked for this..."
"We are fighting an invisible enemy."
"They are more than human."

etc. simply reek of the generic "epic" storytelling style that plagues far too many games. I call them "duh duh DUH" lines.

Aye, fistbump dialogue. Most of the dialogue I've heard from the game is of the over-compensatingly badarse type. "I smoulder with generic rage."

It screams pubescent male power-projection fantasy.

I valued the professionalism and naturalism in the first game, where the gamer was given some credit as to working out what kinda of person each character was, or even some misdirection for contrast. But no this over-the-top, 1980s action movie stuff. Even more surprising considering they've got a woman writing it.

Maybe they should've gotten Harry Shearer to do his Rainier Wolfcastle voice for the game. "'Ice' to see you," "FEDEROVAAAAAA!"

But the trailer has some good dialogue as well. I do like the "fresh out of the package" line. That is interesting dialogue, and it conveys the fact that Adam doesn't seem all that happy about being glued/stapled/taped back together with these shiny new arms. Compare that to the "I never asked for this."

I liked the package line to, the ass-end of the world line, and, indeed, when I first heard Adam say "I never asked for this," was great, I just didn't realise that most of the dialogue was like that. Also, with that chick's voice in his head, I'm also beginning to think that it's shaping up to be the ol' badarse protagonist/wacky sidekick sort of game.

Yes, we've not seen the entirety of the game. And I expect someone to come along and dispute my claim of B-movie dialogue, but I'll believe that when I see something from the game that's less melodramatic.

Donvermicelli
18th Sep 2010, 09:43
Is it just me or does the Jap trailer sound way more epic?

Freddo
18th Sep 2010, 09:55
The trailer is extremely impressive, best game trailer I've seen in years.

Really want to play the game, shame I won't buy it at release, but instead wait for a game + DLC bundle release. I hate buying DLCs separately afterwards.

Pinky_Powers
18th Sep 2010, 09:56
Is it just me or does the Jap trailer sound way more epic?

It does. Which was a huge problem. Deus Ex is epic on it's own, but subtle in its presentation. The English version brought back that subtly I feel.

rokstrombo
18th Sep 2010, 12:14
Awesome trailer! I might have to freeze myself now!

azarhal
18th Sep 2010, 12:45
Morpheus:
-I was a prototype for Echelon IV.
[trimmed for space]

all previous Echelon AI and prototypes -> Morpheus (prototype for IV) -> Deadalus (Echelon IV) -> Icarus (modified Daedalus) -> "Helios" (merged Daedalus and Icarus)

Eliza could be any of the older Echelon programs or a prototype. We don't know her role(s) in the game yet, she might be saying what somebody want her to say (Big brother's eye and mouth). It's not because she's talking that she's sentient.

Eliza remind me of the film S1m0ne (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S1m0ne).

Red
18th Sep 2010, 12:57
The final line really hits the spot.

"It's not the end of the world. But you can see it from here."

+ the Deus Ex 1 music vibe (really subtle, yet immensely powerful!) during [h+]^3.

This one restores some faith, gotta say.

Kodaemon
18th Sep 2010, 13:48
I forgot to mention this earlier, but there seems to be a subtle musical homage to Blade Runner at the beginning:

During the Hengsha vista, a two-tone siren-like synth plays for a short while (just after the Square Enix logo disappears, and before the cut to Sarif's office). A similar sound forms part of the music during Blade Runner's scrolling prologue text.

EDIT: Oh, and there's also the signature Terminator 2 "Trust Me" drum just after Adam gets defenestrated, but that's already been used in so many media it's silly :P

TrickyVein
18th Sep 2010, 13:59
Ripping off Vangelis, or at least trying to emulate his sound would be so totally OK with me.

Kodaemon
18th Sep 2010, 14:00
Agreed :D

MxOAgentJohnson
18th Sep 2010, 15:44
I can officially say this trailer sent a chill down my spine.

Then i realised i JIZZED IN MY PANTS.

Fluffis
19th Sep 2010, 03:23
I can officially say this trailer sent a chill down my spine.

Then i realised i JIZZED IN MY PANTS.

You have your pants on your back? What kind of a freak are you?? :eek:

WildcatPhoenix
19th Sep 2010, 04:08
It does. Which was a huge problem. Deus Ex is epic on it's own, but subtle in its presentation. The English version brought back that subtly I feel.

Amen. I think some might be misinterpreting what we mean when we say "epic." The first game travels all over the globe, involves massive, world-changing events and conspiracies, and does include stuff like nuclear missile launches, terrorist attacks on major cities, artificial intelligences, and global plague epidemics. All of which could be described as "epic."

What I have a problem with in these trailers is the Rambo style, guns-a-blazin', shoot people with a shotgun and make their bodies flip in mid-air bluntness of the approach. I don't want to feel like Adam Jensen is the most important person on earth, and every single event that takes place in the game world hinges on his every decision. In the original game I used to sit back and feel like, "Wow, there are huge, world-changing events taking place just around the corner, just out of sight. Gunther is out there hunting me, there is an AI waging war against another in the invisible world of cyberspace, Simons and Page are moving the chesspieces all across the planet." I (JC) was just a small piece of the puzzle, so small that the enemies didn't even realize they'd sewn the seeds of their own destruction by keeping me alive and giving me access to the resistance leaders.

That, to me, is subtlety. You can tell an epic story without all the bombast and melodrama. Here's hoping this is just a symptom of the trailer and not the game itself. *crosses fingers*

jtr7
19th Sep 2010, 04:15
What we need is a pure stealth gameplay trailer. It doesn't have to be a big promotional thing if EM thinks it'll scare off customers.

pringlepower
19th Sep 2010, 04:49
What we need is a pure stealth gameplay trailer. It doesn't have to be a big promotional thing if EM thinks it'll scare off customers.

A non-promotional trailer? You know what trailers are, right?

NKD
19th Sep 2010, 07:08
Aye, fistbump dialogue. Most of the dialogue I've heard from the game is of the over-compensatingly badarse type. "I smoulder with generic rage."

It screams pubescent male power-projection fantasy.

Yeah. Lines like:

"Tell me what I need to know and I'll order the guards to pick you up as a prisoner instead of a corpse."
"I'll send YOU back to the people. In a body bag."

"Oh yeah? Maybe I'll cap his ass too."

"Soon, I will become pure energy. I will burn like the brightest star."
"You're gonna burn alright."

"You've got ten seconds to beat it before I add you to the list of NSF casualties. "

"You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel. "

Oops. Those aren't from DXHR. Where have I heard those?

Freddo
19th Sep 2010, 08:14
+ the Deus Ex 1 music vibe (really subtle, yet immensely powerful!) during [h+]^3.
I really liked that part too :)

Ulysses
19th Sep 2010, 16:36
Yeah. Lines like:

"Tell me what I need to know and I'll order the guards to pick you up as a prisoner instead of a corpse."
"I'll send YOU back to the people. In a body bag."

"Oh yeah? Maybe I'll cap his ass too."

"Soon, I will become pure energy. I will burn like the brightest star."
"You're gonna burn alright."

"You've got ten seconds to beat it before I add you to the list of NSF casualties. "

"You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel. "

Oops. Those aren't from DXHR. Where have I heard those?

Not sure what your point in this was. The dialogue we've heard so far is trying too hard to be epic and dramatic. Maybe it'll be like those lines from DX - the "badass" dialogue option, but at this point, we just can go on what we've seen and heard.

But I forgot, no progress need be made as long as the predecessor made the same mistake.

lithos
19th Sep 2010, 16:41
You're cherry-picking lines, NKD. There are hundreds of lines that show the range and depths of JC in DX1. He did smart, funny, sarcastic, anxious.

I haven't heard anything similar from Adam in any of the videos we've seen.

AlexOfSpades
19th Sep 2010, 18:04
Its hard to judge the personality of a character only after watching a few trailers, Lithos.

Irate_Iguana
19th Sep 2010, 18:07
Its hard to judge the personality of a character only after watching a few trailers, Lithos.

Isn't a trailer supposed to show the very best of whatever it is you are showing?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
19th Sep 2010, 18:11
Isn't a trailer supposed to show the very best of whatever it is you are showing?
But the point being made is that the trailer can't demonstrate 'hundreds of lines' that show the range and depths of Adam.. the smart, funny, sarcastic, anxious etc.

Irate_Iguana
19th Sep 2010, 18:16
But the point being made is that the trailer can't demonstrate 'hundreds of lines'...

Hence why they pick lines that they think are most appropriate. These lines happen to be of the "tough" variety. This trailer seems to suggest that those lines are most appropriate for that character.

pringlepower
19th Sep 2010, 18:17
Not sure what your point in this was. The dialogue we've heard so far is trying too hard to be epic and dramatic. Maybe it'll be like those lines from DX - the "badass" dialogue option, but at this point, we just can go on what we've seen and heard.

But I forgot, no progress need be made as long as the predecessor made the same mistake.

Well it's so very hard to judge on this forum what bad elements of DX are considered "mistakes" or "a key part of the gameplay" by fans.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
19th Sep 2010, 18:32
Hence why they pick lines that they think are most appropriate. These lines happen to be of the "tough" variety. This trailer seems to suggest that those lines are most appropriate for that character.

Yeah, but the lines are appropriate to the scene... not to the character. You've seen "tough" scenes, so you have the appropriate lines. As you say.

NKD
19th Sep 2010, 19:32
You're cherry-picking lines, NKD. There are hundreds of lines that show the range and depths of JC in DX1. He did smart, funny, sarcastic, anxious.

I haven't heard anything similar from Adam in any of the videos we've seen.

The lines for the trailer were cherry-picked for a purpose too. Those being the only types of options available is not likely.

FrankCSIS
20th Sep 2010, 01:22
We've seen apic, action-oriented trailers so far, which is fine, because one of the four pillars happens to be well-developped action scenes.

Now, I expect to see trailers featuring other pillars. One trailer focusing on infiltration is a given, and there is no excuse not to produce one. Infiltration games sell just as well as your average shooter, and I think it's only fair to the crowd of newcommers to be informed that this game can also, aparently, be played entirely through infiltration.

In the same line of thought, and more related to the current topic, there is room for some sequences of a slower trailer to show less epic, more subtle dialogue lines. If there is more gold in the writing, it has to be featured in such a trailer. Failure to produce a slower, more subtle and intriguing trailer would create a heavy disbalance in favor of one of the pillars, and prove to those who have been claiming such a thing that this game is mainly geared towards a shooter crowd.

Ilves
20th Sep 2010, 17:59
Failure to produce a slower, more subtle and intriguing trailer would create a heavy disbalance in favor of one of the pillars, and prove to those who have been claiming such a thing that this game is mainly geared towards a shooter crowd.

EM already went there. I'd argue that the first trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXVNi1yQT7Y) was plenty slow, subtle and intriguing, laced with just the right amount of promise of action.

Edit: Just to be clear, I was really hoping for EM to continue & expand on that vibe...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
20th Sep 2010, 18:14
EM already went there. I'd argue that the first trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXVNi1yQT7Y) was plenty slow, subtle and intriguing, laced with just the right amount of promise of action.
^
Yes, I'd say the same.

Bluey71
20th Sep 2010, 18:22
^Yes, I'd say the same.

Yin and yang again myimmortal, yin and yang. :rolleyes:

Edited for tiredness...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
20th Sep 2010, 18:27
Ying and yang again myimmortal, ying and yang. :rolleyes:

It's yin and yang. :rasp:

SageSavage
20th Sep 2010, 18:31
I'd rather have a demo than more trailers. The problem with multiple trailers is that they contain too many story spoilers and I'd think that is especially the case with non-action ones.

Happy
20th Sep 2010, 18:49
man - can't wait to play this game!

JCpies
20th Sep 2010, 18:55
I'd rather have a demo than more trailers.

No, I actually prefer waiting around with all these trailers.

Happy
20th Sep 2010, 18:58

Ready to wage an invisible war.

As this is a prequal, maybe they are setting up the storyline for DX and then IW? Kinda make sense.

rubiomhs
20th Sep 2010, 19:30
obviously

Pinky_Powers
20th Sep 2010, 21:03
I'd rather have a demo than more trailers. The problem with multiple trailers is that they contain too many story spoilers and I'd think that is especially the case with non-action ones.

+1000!

Also, trailers simply cannot illustrate the slow, stealthy nature of Deus Ex. They only have 2-3 minutes, and watching slow stealth is never fun. Playing it is. I want that demo! :D

Lady_Of_The_Vine
20th Sep 2010, 21:08
This is true. I really don't wish to see any more of the plot.
Bring on the playable demo - training mission only.

Pinky_Powers
20th Sep 2010, 22:15
The E3 demo is what I'm hoping for. Only, you know, complete, refined and bug-free. :)

I want to shoot up the Hive and see what's happens.

MrFoxter
20th Sep 2010, 22:29
That won't happen until they finalize HUD and other small things. Releasing crappy demo can turn people away, even if it is not final version of the game. We know it, but a lot of people would say that the game is not good and bad word will start spreading. I never asked for this :)

FrankCSIS
20th Sep 2010, 22:52
EM already went there. I'd argue that the first trailer was plenty slow, subtle and intriguing, laced with just the right amount of promise of action.

True, but it did not reveal any of the inflitration part of the gameplay, or much of the social aspects. Besides, it was a teaser, really :p Full-lenght trailers have been selling an action game so far.

And yeah, I've been pushing for a stand-alone demo since May, but I'm not expecting too much on that front.

Pinky_Powers
20th Sep 2010, 23:06
True, but it did not reveal any of the inflitration part of the gameplay, or much of the social aspects. Besides, it was a teaser, really :p Full-lenght trailers have been selling an action game so far.

There was action, but there was also a hint of the stealth/infiltration too. Remember the scene where Jensen sneaks up on the hacker who shoots himself? That was exactly the type of thing I would do in-game. :)

It's not much, but for a trailer a hint is all you really need.

FrankCSIS
20th Sep 2010, 23:16
I've seen the possibilities, but I'd like it to be the focus point of one trailer, as a sign of commitment.

AaronJ
23rd Sep 2010, 17:03
Anyone else find the editing really shotty? They tried to match the lip syncing of Sarif and Barrett with new lines, and it's really obvious. They even used a fade out right in the middle of Barrett's lines. I did enjoy the tidbit of new footage though.

But still, I don't understand why everyone is raving across the internet about how this captures the game? Personally I thought the last trailer was amazing. Why is a strangely edited one so much better?

Kodaemon
23rd Sep 2010, 17:26
I think it's mostly the air of mystery the caisson scene gives out. I found the rest of the trailer rather meh, and literally rolled my eyes at Fedorova's gleeful rampage, but the ending made it worthwile. Also, the Blade Runner musical homage at the beginning made me smile too.

jjc
23rd Sep 2010, 20:51
I think it's mostly the air of mystery the caisson scene gives out. I found the rest of the trailer rather meh, and literally rolled my eyes at Fedorova's gleeful rampage, but the ending made it worthwile. Also, the Blade Runner musical homage at the beginning made me smile too.

How am I missing this BR musical homage? I must not know the soundtrack well enough.

Jerion
23rd Sep 2010, 21:01
Anyone else find the editing really shotty? They tried to match the lip syncing of Sarif and Barrett with new lines, and it's really obvious. They even used a fade out right in the middle of Barrett's lines. I did enjoy the tidbit of new footage though.

But still, I don't understand why everyone is raving across the internet about how this captures the game? Personally I thought the last trailer was amazing. Why is a strangely edited one so much better?

Ditto the editing is a bit sketchy in the new one. There are a couple scenes that to me, just capture the world sense of the original game very well. Maybe that's it.

Plus the ending of the new one is fantastic.

deggen
23rd Sep 2010, 22:22
Agree that the ending saves it/makes it big time. The Barret line may have been better delivery wise but it was way too relaxed in the middle of a fight scene.

I would also prefer more story and don't think it would ruin anything. I do wonder though how 'end of the world' matches up with a few people rioting over mechanical arms.

singularity
23rd Sep 2010, 22:40
Agree that the ending saves it/makes it big time. The Barret line may have been better delivery wise but it was way too relaxed in the middle of a fight scene.

I would also prefer more story and don't think it would ruin anything. I do wonder though how 'end of the world' matches up with a few people rioting over mechanical arms.

Well, we have to assume they aren't throwing out the DX story line (there has been no official word of a reboot that I've seen) -- as such, this game will likely set up the events of the "colapse" -- the after effects we are left to deal with in the first DX. So, the rioters might not end the world -- but there are a handful of secret societies, up-comming terrorist groups, multinational corporations and engeniered viruses that we know are coming. In DX, the world is in shambles. In DXHR, I'm assuming there is a chain of events that puts it in shambles.

And while I agree that many of the lines of dialogue in the new trailer are wonky, you have to remember, like movie trailers, dialogue is cut and pasted on certain scenes. Barrett might not say his boy-scout line in the middle of a fight in the actual game, he could say it in passing or upon a first encounter, etc. Similar to the conversation between Adam and David in the office -- it keeps changing, and I wouldn't be surprised if all those lines are in the game somewhere... just not that exact location.

Also, keep remembering -- this is the "english translation" ... I wouldn't be surprised if a little is lost in translation, as this was originally intended for a Japanese audience.

AaronJ
24th Sep 2010, 02:49
Well, we have to assume they aren't throwing out the DX story line (there has been no official word of a reboot that I've seen) -- as such, this game will likely set up the events of the "colapse" -- the after effects we are left to deal with in the first DX. So, the rioters might not end the world -- but there are a handful of secret societies, up-comming terrorist groups, multinational corporations and engeniered viruses that we know are coming. In DX, the world is in shambles. In DXHR, I'm assuming there is a chain of events that puts it in shambles.

And while I agree that many of the lines of dialogue in the new trailer are wonky, you have to remember, like movie trailers, dialogue is cut and pasted on certain scenes. Barrett might not say his boy-scout line in the middle of a fight in the actual game, he could say it in passing or upon a first encounter, etc. Similar to the conversation between Adam and David in the office -- it keeps changing, and I wouldn't be surprised if all those lines are in the game somewhere... just not that exact location.

Also, keep remembering -- this is the "english translation" ... I wouldn't be surprised if a little is lost in translation, as this was originally intended for a Japanese audience.

The Collapse is a result of the end of DX1, and the post-Collapse world is dealt with in IW.

DX1's dystopian world is due to the decline of civilization. The end of the world is the Collapse. That's why the line is so, so brilliant. "It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here." Perfection. Ion Storm couldn't have written a better line for a prequel.

That's right mother****ers I said it.

Kodaemon
24th Sep 2010, 04:19
How am I missing this BR musical homage? I must not know the soundtrack well enough.

To quote myself:

During the Hengsha vista, a two-tone siren-like synth plays for a short while (just after the Square Enix logo disappears, and before the cut to Sarif's office). A similar sound forms part of the music during Blade Runner's scrolling prologue text.

Edx
26th Sep 2010, 22:21

lol, im sure... I wonder if in the Japanese version all the girls sound like anime school girls on helium

OwlSolar
26th Sep 2010, 22:42
I'm getting a good laugh out of imagining Fedorova with that voice.

AlexOfSpades
27th Sep 2010, 01:18
I'm getting a good laugh out of imagining Fedorova with that voice.

Lol!

Japanese language is one of those languages that whenever you say something, it sounds badass, because the words sound heavy and ... cool.

The cutscene in japanese sounded awesome, but mostly because i couldnt understand anything ; So it was mysterious o:

But of course i'd play the english one.

Mindmute
27th Sep 2010, 01:20
Lol!

The cutscene in japanese sounded awesome, but mostly because i couldnt understand anything ; So it was mysterious o:

I like to imagine they were saying:

"The cabbage is not like us, it is a carrot, like you Adam." - "I am an orange."

But then again, that could be sleep deprivation talking... Off to sleep I go!

AlexOfSpades
27th Sep 2010, 01:22
Haha!

Boa noite, Mindmute.

neilthecellist
27th Sep 2010, 01:36

Reboot sounds like a better idea. Augmentations beat nano augs any day. :D