PDA

View Full Version : Everything in this game is yellow/sienna

Ninjerk
17th Sep 2010, 08:27
I just really started paying attention to the color palette in that Japanese trailer. Seriously, everything in the trailer almost is somewhat yellow or some sort of sienna.

Kodaemon
17th Sep 2010, 08:31
Took you a while to notice.

Dead-Eye
17th Sep 2010, 08:39
lol. Did you also notice that everything was neon blue in Invisible War or am I giving you new info?

Rindill the Red
17th Sep 2010, 08:42
I just really started paying attention to the color palette in that Japanese trailer. Seriously, everything in the trailer almost is somewhat yellow or some sort of sienna.

You guys are blowing it out of proportion. That one city was gold and black... at dusk (or dawn?). It's a unifying visual theme for the trailer... it's cool looking and it works.

Kodaemon
17th Sep 2010, 08:44
That one city, and that other one too, and...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
17th Sep 2010, 08:53
Interview snippet, fyi:

IGN AU: Succinctly put. From the debut trailer through to today's session, we've seen a few persistent colours and motifs – the colour yellow and the hexagon shape both appear consistently throughout the game. What's the significance of these deliberate design choices?

Jean-Francois Dugas: Actually for us, it's a black and gold type of thing. So the black aspect of the game refers to the dystopian world, cyberpunk – people in suffering and things like that. The gold aspect represents a bit of hope – and society, with augmentations, a promise of better selves. It also reflects the 'Icarus' myth and getting closer to the sun. So the black and gold type of palate is there to support those things.

David Anfossi:The gold is also about The Renaissance and painting. It's a great contrast – black and gold. And I think the best way to represent that is from our tagline 'It's not the end of the world—but you can see it from here.' It's still gold, you know? But you can see the darkness from here. You can see trouble approaching.

Jean-Francois Dugas: The hexagons are also related to The Renaissance; geometry and calculations for the human body and things like that.

Pinky_Powers
17th Sep 2010, 09:10
Since it seems important to spell it out again, and again...

It's called a colour palette, and there's a lot of variety within it. It's been an essential technique of creating mood for hundreds of years.

http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/dx3-screenshot30.jpg

http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/dx3-screenshot31.jpg

http://www.harley.com/art/abstract-art/images/(davinci)-mona-lisa.jpg

Ninjerk
17th Sep 2010, 09:29
Thank you, MI. Yes, I'm a bit behind in a number of areas. There was a period of time that I didn't care to check in. I was pleasantly surprised to find the trailer and the PAX playthrough.

lithos
17th Sep 2010, 11:54
At least it's not bloody teal and orange:

http://media2.slashfilm.com/slashfilm/images/ZZ570FFE0F.jpg

mad825
17th Sep 2010, 11:59
You guys are blowing it out of proportion. That one city was gold and black... at dusk (or dawn?). It's a unifying visual theme for the trailer... it's cool looking and it works.

"cool" is a word I would ever use to describe a product/game/service/trailer (unless we are talking about programming/temperature/colour) as it shows lack of identity and uniqueness which is necessary a bad thing.

I would describe the glare as few too many spoonfuls of mayonnaise in my tuna sandwich. I understand the colour has a reason to be emphasised however once I have to modify my colour levels just so the colours blend with the black, there are problems...not because of me.

At least it's not bloody teal and orange:
*long,annoying image*

How come Mass Effect 2 isn't on there? ^.^

Pinky_Powers
17th Sep 2010, 12:14
however once I have to modify my colour levels just so the colours blend with the black, there are problems...not because of me.

What are you on about?

TrickyVein
17th Sep 2010, 12:17
So, you guys are trying to fault games, or the industry for using well-established color schemes? Blue and orange are complementary. They provide good contrast.

Pinky_Powers
17th Sep 2010, 12:25
So, you guys are trying to fault games, or the industry for using well-established color schemes? Blue and orange are complementary. They provide good contrast.

And notice how many of those posters/covers are blue and orange due to something as natural as a sunset or day/night contrast. Those unimaginative heathens!!

*rolls eyes until their hurt*

TrickyVein
17th Sep 2010, 12:31
Quite natural, quite. They've certainly proved their point that the blue/orange color-scheme is very often used. I wonder why that would be? Perhaps it is naturally pleasing to the eye.

mad825
17th Sep 2010, 12:31
What are you on about?

I disliked the gold thus forced me to remove some Red and Green and add some blue via monitor

Pinky_Powers
17th Sep 2010, 12:37
I disliked the gold thus forced me to remove some Red and Green and add some blue via monitor

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

lithos
17th Sep 2010, 12:41

They're not the only complementary colours.

Quite natural, quite. They've certainly proved their point that the blue/orange color-scheme is very often used. I wonder why that would be? Perhaps it is naturally pleasing to the eye.

The reason being that the two most common shades in the movie industry are blue and orange: the sky, and human skintones (well, maybe not ALL human skintones, but Hollywood's getting their on the whole racism front.)

Well, it's mostly the skin. Since there's gonna be people in the shots most of the time, if you're going for a harmonious scheme, that only leaves you with blue.

There's a lot of things you can do/signify with colours, and limiting yourself to "just what complements" is very boring once it becomes so pervasive.

lithos
17th Sep 2010, 12:43

I hope to god there's a part in the game where you have to push a certain-coloured button sitting in a row of identically shaped (but differently coloured,) buttons, with the failure resulting in instant death.

TrickyVein
17th Sep 2010, 12:53
The reason being that the two most common shades in the movie industry are blue and orange: the sky, and human skintones (well, maybe not ALL human skintones, but Hollywood's getting their on the whole racism front.)

Well, it's mostly the skin. Since there's gonna be people in the shots most of the time, if you're going for a harmonious scheme, that only leaves you with blue.

There's a lot of things you can do/signify with colours, and limiting yourself to "just what complements" is very boring once it becomes so pervasive.

Interesting theory. I'd say that I would believe you if it weren't based purely on heuristics. I agree that sticking to one color and its complement provides little in the way of variation - that's why you use more color, complementing your palette along the way.

So the crux of your argument is that such color-schemes are "boring?" Why am I even responding to this?

lithos
17th Sep 2010, 12:54
So the crux of your argument is that such color-schemes are "boring?" Why am I even responding to this?

It's overdone. I must admit, I don't have any memory disorders, so it gets boring for me after seeing it a few times.

Your mileage may vary.

H.D.Case
17th Sep 2010, 13:14
I think that it makes the game unique. How many game do you know that use conventions like that? Conventions that are backed up by some clever associations. You can say it was XIII, but it was made that way just to resemble the original. The new whats-its-name Valve cartoon shooter (Enemy force?) but it is slightly different. Or The Path (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CflFwchrOgE). But it is all different. In DX you get it more like an uncanny feeling rather than an explicit observation. I think we should be happy that they actually care to do something more significant with it.

mad825
17th Sep 2010, 13:20

boredom does very strange things.

Pinky_Powers
17th Sep 2010, 13:31
boredom does very strange things.

Try mixing it with exhaustion.

It's 8:30am here, and I have yet to go to bed. I want to see the damn English trailer before I do. God only knows why. I'm sure it's mostly the same dialog as the other trailer, but... I don't know.

Finally come way down off my wine drunk, and I'm starting to think clearly again. Maybe I should just forget about it and sleep.

The Monochrome Man
17th Sep 2010, 13:48

Some colours don't film well either. Red is a good example - you have to be really careful with the lighting or touch it up in post-production.

lithos
17th Sep 2010, 14:00
Some colours don't film well either. Red is a good example - you have to be really careful with the lighting or touch it up in post-production.

Yeah, for both filmstock and digital sensors, red is the generally hardest colour to get right. Plus, it's probably the strongest colour - it's not found often in nature (not pure red,) so that's probably why it stands out so much.

xsamitt
17th Sep 2010, 14:04
Try mixing it with exhaustion.

It's 8:30am here, and I have yet to go to bed. I want to see the damn English trailer before I do. God only knows why. I'm sure it's mostly the same dialog as the other trailer, but... I don't know.

Finally come way down off my wine drunk, and I'm starting to think clearly again. Maybe I should just forget about it and sleep.

I will light a candle for you.:thumb:

TrickyVein
17th Sep 2010, 14:13
It's overdone. I must admit, I don't have any memory disorders, so it gets boring for me after seeing it a few times.

Your mileage may vary.

Well, it's better than say, purple and yellow. :)

lithos
17th Sep 2010, 14:22
Why is it better?

TrickyVein
17th Sep 2010, 14:24
The wavelengths of orange and blue light aren't as high-frequency - aren't as intense - as purple and yellow? Easier on the eyes?

AlexOfSpades
17th Sep 2010, 15:23
At least is not black and red, though.

I mean.

Yeah.

lithos
17th Sep 2010, 15:36
Or brown.

But I'm fairly certain John Carmack holds the copyright to all shades of brown, and I'm guessing Eidos didn't want to pay for the licence.

lithos
17th Sep 2010, 16:41
It's good they've actually gotten some decent art design going, rather than simply basing the scheme off the coders' T-shirts.

Ninjerk
17th Sep 2010, 19:41
I think for my next topic I'm going to get you guys to argue about poop. Sound good?