PDA

View Full Version : Hole in the ocean

Pages : [1] 2

El_Bel
16th Sep 2010, 22:54
Ok so this thing got me excited. It can turn out either great or stupid. So i want you to help me analyze it. First i want a big favor from someone. Whoever as the means, should upload pictures of every frame where this thing is on screen. Come on guys, we can bust this open!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-scLLI599-g#t=1m38s

Lady_Of_The_Vine
16th Sep 2010, 22:55
I'm liking this thread already. :cool:

And I'll add this for starters:

Took me a while to come up with the name, but that structure is what is referred to as a caisson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caisson_%28engineering%29). It is used for construction in water.

El_Bel
16th Sep 2010, 22:58
And then we should discuss the ties it can have to the Omar!

(Did i make you like it a little more? :D)

The Monochrome Man
16th Sep 2010, 23:01
Copypasta from the trailer thread.

That'll teach me to edit before refreshing. :)

Sorry fox, looks like we missed each other. The areas you highlighted are underwater shelves or currents, so don't really help locate it. Here's one with the islands marked.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/9825/shot0004f.png (http://img291.imageshack.us/i/shot0004f.png/)

This is why I said they're probably too small to find, assuming they're geographically correct in the first place. That one in the bottom right is only as long as the container ship near the construct - which would make it approximately 300 metres. Container shippers tend to be built smaller than that as they have to fit through the Panama canal.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
16th Sep 2010, 23:02
And then we should discuss the ties it can have to the Omar!

(Did i make you like it a little more? :D)

I'm game. BUT, careful, I'm not that easy to convince.
So, convince me and you will maintain your preferred customer treatment. I can't say fairer than that.

nomotog
16th Sep 2010, 23:04
Maybe they are building that under sea lab from DX1.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
16th Sep 2010, 23:06
:eek:

I think you're on to something here.

El_Bel
16th Sep 2010, 23:16
Well i dont think so. We can see shipping ships. Something big comes out of this place and it sure is not rocks. We can see container ships and cranes.

The Monochrome Man
16th Sep 2010, 23:52
Could be a Lab or something for a multinational. Government won't let you do research on certain types of augmentation (or people)? Won't let you handle certain materials deemed too dangerous, like biochem?

For the low low cost of forty billion dollars, you can buy a patch of ocean off some small island nation and make your own rules! It's like Rapture. Only less flooded.

This could also explain why Adam doesn't make the stealthiest approach. The rig could actually belong to Sarif itself.

Kodaemon
16th Sep 2010, 23:53
Well i dont think so. We can see shipping ships. Something big comes out of this place and it sure is not rocks. We can see container ships and cranes.

Uhm, the ships could be bringing materials in, you know. For construction.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
16th Sep 2010, 23:57
The structure could be a power plant for harnessing geothermal energy.

Kodaemon
17th Sep 2010, 00:05
Greenlight energy! :D

Pinky_Powers
17th Sep 2010, 00:09
This could also explain why Adam doesn't make the stealthiest approach. The rig could actually belong to Sarif itself.

He hijacks the thing mid-flight from Steve Jobs and points its nose east, over the Atlantic.

It's exciting!

The Monochrome Man
17th Sep 2010, 00:15
He hijacks the thing mid-flight from Steve Jobs

He was flying it the wrong way.

That one'll probably get me shot if anyone gets it.

Senka
17th Sep 2010, 00:24
I get it, and I'll take a bullet for you.

Psychomorph
17th Sep 2010, 01:13
Industrial age of the near future, with a mega-caisson build by a perhaps mega influential company. I dig it.

KSingh77
17th Sep 2010, 01:39
It's the world's largest wishing well.

Let the change tossing and wishing begin!

El_Bel
17th Sep 2010, 02:07
So we can see ice floating around the ships. Definitely not the construction site of the ocean lab from Deus Ex.

Also the only way that someone can get there, other then a rocket, is a ship. On Shanghai Adam is trying to get on a ship. Maybe its nothing, but i am putting it out there.

Another thing that might not prove anything, is this bit of information in DX bible

2023: Paul, age 5, selected as test subject, cloned
2028: Tests on clones show limited success; Paul's mother impregnated with J.C.

So in 2027 the clone experiments would be on the highest point. I dont think any country would happily let a company make experiments on people, even if they are clones..

Rindill the Red
17th Sep 2010, 02:11
The structure could be a power plant for harnessing geothermal energy.

Yes, the first thing that came to my mind was power plant as well...

But besides geothermal it could also be a nuclear fusion plant. Scientists say that the technology for these are about 25 to 40 years off. I was talking to a friend about them and he told me that if they were to construct one, they would likely construct it at the bottom of the ocean, for containment and other things like heat dissipation.

The power that could be generated by a fusion plant, especially one that large, would be astronomical.

It also ties into the whole Icarus and flying into the sun thing.

So if they are building a futuristic huge-output energy plant, what do they need that much energy for? I think that's the real question here.

It's the world's largest wishing well.

Let the change tossing and wishing begin!

That's not funny.
http://www.ee0r.com/lolckyhorror/06-serious.jpg

KSingh77
17th Sep 2010, 02:19
It's the world's largest oil well.

Being funded by BP.

Rindill the Red
17th Sep 2010, 02:24
I typed XNG Shipping into google and only came up with the Natural Gas Indexes for the stock market... which I don't understand at all.

X-NG... NG Resonance... maybe a connection there?

Pinky_Powers
17th Sep 2010, 02:27
I typed XNG Shipping into google and only came up with the Natural Gas Indexes for the stock market... which I don't understand at all.

X-NG... NG Resonance... maybe a connection there?

They did say they came up with over a hundred fictional companies for this game. :D

Dead-Eye
17th Sep 2010, 02:31

That's what I thought but seeing as someone noticed icebergs and the Ocean Lab was based off the cost of California, that's impossible.

Pinky_Powers
17th Sep 2010, 02:35
They're almost certainly trying to excavate Rapture and acquire samples of those Sea Slugs for cloning and Augmentation purposes.

Deus_Ex_Machina
17th Sep 2010, 02:35
It's pretty obvious.

They're prepping the Earth for the coming of the Reptilian Mole People.

Pinky_Powers
17th Sep 2010, 02:37
It's pretty obvious.

They're prepping the Earth for the coming of the Reptilian Mole People.

So that's where they came from! :scratch:

http://www.mobygames.com/images/i/23/12/83862.jpeg

TrickyVein
17th Sep 2010, 03:21
Great! Now there's a HOLE thread devoted to the hole. :D

I thought it might be construction of the ocean-lab as well, but we're told that it's surrounded by ice - which I did not pick up on - and which may not be true after all. I can't think of anything else from DX1 besides the ocean-lab that would merit the construction of such a huge orifice into the deep.

Maybe it's a portal into Hell. And AJ has to fight through hordes of demons with a shotgun and a chainsaw in order to save Earth.

pringlepower
17th Sep 2010, 03:29

I thought it might be construction of the ocean-lab as well, but we're told that it's surrounded by ice - which I did not pick up on - and which may not be true after all. I can't think of anything else from DX1 besides the ocean-lab that would merit the construction of such a huge orifice into the deep.

Maybe it's a portal into Hell. And AJ has to fight through hordes of demons with a shotgun and a chainsaw in order to save Earth.

Or maybe use the Painkiller, a four-barreled shotgun, and a gun that shoots shurikens and lightning.

Pinky_Powers
17th Sep 2010, 03:31

Why does it have to be the Ocean Lab, or something that was referenced in Deus Ex? Remember, Adam Jensen traveled in a crazy-fast shuttle in a tower of urgency and purpose. I don't know about you, but I have a feeling he's going to f**k some $h1t up! Chances are good the facility won't even exist by the end. This is a Deus Ex game, after all. :D

Dead-Eye
17th Sep 2010, 03:33
OP wanted frames so here they are:
http://img237.imageshack.us/g/tgstrailer2010oceanholelm.jpg/
http://img641.imageshack.us/g/tgstrailer2010oceanholeg.jpg/
http://img251.imageshack.us/g/tgstrailer2010oceanholeq.jpg/
http://img97.imageshack.us/g/tgstrailer2010oceanholeu.jpg/

The order is inverted unfortunately.

TrickyVein
17th Sep 2010, 03:41
Why does it have to be the Ocean Lab, or something that was referenced in Deus Ex? Remember, Adam Jensen traveled in a crazy-fast shuttle in a tower of urgency and purpose. I don't know about you, but I have a feeling he's going to f**k some $h1t up! Chances are good the facility won't even exist by the end. This is a Deus Ex game, after all. :D

It doesn't have to be the Ocean Lab, you are correct. It could be something completely new, but I'm far more familiar with the Ocean Lab than anything else that it may turn out to be. You build on what you know, Pinky, and you know what I think?

I haven't really got a damned clue as to what it is.

IdiotInAJeep
17th Sep 2010, 04:27
What if it turned out to be the cloning area and XNG was just a facade for MJ12. Would be genuinely creepy having to explore an underground cloning lab.

sonicsidewinder
17th Sep 2010, 04:30
Big-ass chinese rail-gun for shooting robots to the moon. They use the water in the sea for 3rd energy from Dino Crisis for the ultimate power.
This will cause a paradox making the original Deus Ex irrelivant paving the way for the next two games in 'this' series that will totally ignore the original - possibly including dinosaurs.

I'm being serious about the Rail Gun part. That was in the first game no? Or at least alluded to.

lithos
17th Sep 2010, 04:41
Stephen Reilly, Ninety East Ridge. Pretty obscure Aussie science fiction, but very Deus Ex.

pringlepower
17th Sep 2010, 04:54
Big-ass chinese rail-gun for shooting robots to the moon. They use the water in the sea for 3rd energy from Dino Crisis for the ultimate power.
This will cause a paradox making the original Deus Ex irrelivant paving the way for the next two games in 'this' series that will totally ignore the original - possibly including dinosaurs.

I'm being serious about the Rail Gun part. That was in the first game no? Or at least alluded to.

Yeah the Chinese uh... missed. And wiped out an African city.

lithos
17th Sep 2010, 04:59
Yeah the Chinese uh... missed. And wiped out an African city.

Through no fault of the Chinese...

FrankCSIS
17th Sep 2010, 05:03
Before we actually get to the hole itself, I thought those boats and crane were headed for something similar to what shanghai plans for their deep water sea port.

lithos
17th Sep 2010, 05:11
Why does it have to be the Ocean Lab, or something that was referenced in Deus Ex?

I thought the Ocean Lab was built where SoCal used to be? I don't mind tributes, but yes, I don't think every single goddamn thing in HR should 100% linkable to DX. Give the writers some credit.

nomotog
17th Sep 2010, 05:46
Ya the undersea lab was my first guess, but now I think it is a generator. If you look at the screens it looks kind of generatory. The way AC arrives ,inside a rocket, makes me think that it would be the last mission, so you can make guesses with that too.

JCpies
17th Sep 2010, 06:13
Guys, I can't believe you're all so blind! It's obvious!!!! Let me explain; This giant hole is the first of its kind, it is being constructed to connect the outer world to the inner world. Why? you may ask... This is the answer to the overpopulation of the earth we have been waiting for! You see, the center of the world is empty, the gravity pulls outwards, like a cylindrical space colony, it is a new home, waiting for inhabitants (Aside from dinosaurs), soon the time will come for mankind to embrace its destiny as rulers of this planet, and we shall use it to the best of our abilities! RISE! RISE! TAKE YOUR SORROW AND TURN IT INTO ANGER! KILL THOSE DAMN DINOSAURS AND NAZI SCUM LIVING UNDERNEATH US!

Decard
17th Sep 2010, 06:26
I dont think any country would happily let a company make experiments on people

You'd be surprised.

Pinky_Powers
17th Sep 2010, 06:27
^... I suppose we should've seen this one coming. JCpie's mind's gone into a hard-lock, poor lad.

mad825
17th Sep 2010, 06:39
Why does it have to be the Ocean Lab, or something that was referenced in Deus Ex?

indeed, I would think the exact same thing.

"Kind of a Reboot"

Kodaemon
17th Sep 2010, 06:41
People, think about it: this is the japanese trailer. The installation obviously houses a Giant Mecha. In fact, the "rocket" is actually an Entry Plug in which Adam has just emergency catapulted himself from an Evangelion.

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/8051/gendojensen.jpg

lithos
17th Sep 2010, 08:13
People, think about it: this is the japanese trailer. The installation obviously houses a Giant Mecha. In fact, the "rocket" is actually an Entry Plug in which Adam has just emergency catapulted himself from an Evangelion.

When does Federova get...violated with tentacles?

And why doesn't she have cat ears?

Ninjerk
17th Sep 2010, 08:24
I can't help but think there's some kind of research involving high pressurization at the bottom of it all.

Kodaemon
17th Sep 2010, 08:28
When does Federova get...violated with tentacles?

And why doesn't she have cat ears?

Tentacles are out, remember? Instead, Adam angstily masturbates over her tranqued body. And she may not have cat ears, but she does have goat legs!

mad_red
17th Sep 2010, 08:53
It's a thruster one spaceship earth, and I'm guessing it's not the type you'll find on a jet, nor the type that consumes biofuel.

What is clear, however, is that it emits glowing language-shaped structures as well as amniotic fluid. I have video proof of that.

Ashpolt
17th Sep 2010, 09:44

I don't think I could possibly hate you any more than I do right now, after reading that pun.

Oh, wait, no, there we go. :D

Note: This is not an entirely serious post.

Spyhopping
17th Sep 2010, 09:50
Yippee, chainsaw aug confirmed. Except it doesn't come out from where you'd expect.

Irate_Iguana
17th Sep 2010, 10:06
Yippee, chainsaw aug confirmed. Except it doesn't come out from where you'd expect.

It doesn't emerge from Adam's crotch? :(

Pinky_Powers
17th Sep 2010, 10:23
Note: This is not an entirely serious post.

Your partials are frightening enough, mate. :eek:

FrankCSIS
17th Sep 2010, 11:37
Hollow Earth theory? With a passge from pole to pole!

TrickyVein
17th Sep 2010, 11:50
Ah yes, the "Hollow-Earth" model. It's taken a while for it to catch on within the scientific community.

I wonder that with all sorts of remote-sensing satellites that we now have and are bound to get more of in the future, there's no way the project could be kept secret. Perhaps whoever is behind it is presenting it as one of the engineering marvels of the modern world as a front to cover up its more nefarious purposes?

Pinky_Powers
17th Sep 2010, 11:54
as a front to cover up its more nefarious purposes?

A real-life Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory?

Oh yes!

TrickyVein
17th Sep 2010, 11:55
Wonka's chocolate factory was real. I don't understand.

lithos
17th Sep 2010, 12:01
Tentacles are out, remember? Instead, Adam angstily masturbates over her tranqued body. And she may not have cat ears, but she does have goat legs!

Jeez, after seeing what his hands did to that whiskey tumbler, I'm not sure he'd want to be doing anything like you said.

TrickyVein
17th Sep 2010, 12:02
Can you imagine? When his hands open-up to do that whirl-thing?

II J0SePh X II
17th Sep 2010, 12:47
Can you imagine? When his hands open-up to do that whirl-thing?

Go-go-gadget facepalm.

ThePrecursor
17th Sep 2010, 12:52
My eye caught something:
http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/dx3-screenshot31.jpg
Look to the lower left corner, you'll see a package with "XNG Fast Package" on it. XNG is the company that's working on that large hole.

azarhal
17th Sep 2010, 12:59
Look to the lower left corner, you'll see a package with "XNG Fast Package" on it. XNG is the company that's working on that large hole.

Maybe XNG = FedEx. The boat does have "XNG Shipping" on it.

Pinky_Powers
17th Sep 2010, 13:02

Or... XNG is just a shipping company. :eek:

-~::Edit::~-
Oh. Didn't see your post azarhal. We're like one mind.

TrickyVein
17th Sep 2010, 14:17
XNG could stand for "Xanthum-gum." OMG! The government is putting mind-controlling drugs into Xanthum-gum!

Pinky_Powers
17th Sep 2010, 14:25
XNG could stand for "Xanthum-gum." OMG! The government is putting mind-controlling drugs into Xanthum-gum!

It's already in our water. What harm could the gum do?

TrickyVein
17th Sep 2010, 14:28
The gum could: make you vote Republican; make you dress up in a fur-suit; make you watch romantic comedies. Really, whatever the government decides it wants you to do. That's the scary part.

Pinky_Powers
17th Sep 2010, 14:31
The water is already doing that! Why else do you think I shot Kennedy?!!

TrickyVein
17th Sep 2010, 14:34
He was sleeping with your woman, Jacqueline? Or was it just for the high jinks?

Pinky_Powers
17th Sep 2010, 14:46
He was sleeping with your woman, Jacqueline? Or was it just for the high jinks?

Mind control, goddamnit! Are you deliberately asking for a bullet? I won't even need the whispering waters to drive me to it this time.

TrickyVein
17th Sep 2010, 14:50
I don't buy it. You weren't alive back when Kennedy ate a lead-sandwich. I can see right through you.

mithrandiryod
17th Sep 2010, 17:41
I'm surprised no one has brought this up.....but I'm thinking that hole is for a Universal Constructor.

mad825
17th Sep 2010, 17:51
I'm surprised no one has brought this up.....but I'm thinking that hole is for a Universal Constructor.

sounds like an idea but with one problem, why not at area 51?

El_Bel
17th Sep 2010, 17:53
OP wanted frames so here they are:
http://img237.imageshack.us/g/tgstrailer2010oceanholelm.jpg/
http://img641.imageshack.us/g/tgstrailer2010oceanholeg.jpg/
http://img251.imageshack.us/g/tgstrailer2010oceanholeq.jpg/
http://img97.imageshack.us/g/tgstrailer2010oceanholeu.jpg/

The order is inverted unfortunately.

Thanks for those dude, i am analyzing now.

nomotog
17th Sep 2010, 17:56
sounds like an idea but with one problem, why not at area 51?

They built at least 3 UCs, but none of them where that big. It could be a prototype.

mad825
17th Sep 2010, 18:01
They built at least 3 UCs, but none of them where that big. It could be a prototype.

still doesn't answer my question. all sorts of secret, high tech experiments were being performed at Area 51 (such as the cloning of the Grays, the creation of JC/P Dention).

Slaughts208
17th Sep 2010, 18:02
It's not the Ocean Lab unless there is another Ocean Lab. My own theory is that this thing MIGHT be the prototype for that Chinese Space Elevator/Launch facility referenced in the first game in the news.

mithrandiryod
17th Sep 2010, 18:11
still doesn't answer my question. all sorts of secret, high tech experiments were being performed at Area 51 (such as the cloning of the Grays).

From the Deus Ex Wiki:
"Gary Savage is a scientist and head of X-51. He participated in early research on nanoaugmentation, with Morgan Everett and Bob Page. After Page's upheaval he was forced to work at Area 51 from where he escaped in 2051, destroying the Universal Constructor in the process...."

UC:
"JC next travels to an underwater submarine base operated by MJ12, to acquire components needed for X-51 to build their own Universal Constructor. Helios, working with Bob Page, intercepts the transmission of these components, and as such can build its own Universal Constructors at Area 51. JC sends a missile to Area 51 then goes there himself to confront Page."

I may be incorrect in remembering this and should probably go back and play again, but it seems that A51 had one that Savage took out before he left. So while it's possible this could be a beginning test area for something similar, it seems unlikely, b/c as you pointed out A51 would likely have developed it first....unless a private corporation developed it, and the US Government seized the prototype moving it to area 51 and quieting the employees. (Under the guise of another company of course...(EDITED))

However, this is all just conspiracy theories and speculation....though isn't that what this game is about :)

The Monochrome Man
17th Sep 2010, 18:53
It's not the Ocean Lab unless there is another Ocean Lab. My own theory is that this thing MIGHT be the prototype for that Chinese Space Elevator/Launch facility referenced in the first game in the news.

Not probable. For launches you want to be near the equator - you can use the Earths own rotation to assist with the launch itself. One of the other posters identified ice in the water, suggesting that this facility is within the Arctic or Antarctic circles. That being the case, it's positioned in precisely the *wrong* place for a launch facility of any kind.

China's pretty powerful, and has lots of unused land still. They wouldn't need to build out to sea, and if they did, they'd use the East or South China Seas. And they would guard the place for sure - I don't see any Naval presence.

There's a few ships docked (one that looks like a tanker), and two mobile in the water, one of which is a dedicated passenger ship. No visible heliport or runway, nor radar. If aircraft can't land, then the place must have its own means of dealing with medical emergencies, which brings us back to the theory of a lab or rapture-like independent city.

And as I said earlier, Adam's approach wasn't exactly stealthy. Whoever they are, they're not hostile at whatever point in the game is being depicted here.

AxiomaticBadger
17th Sep 2010, 19:26
Stealth only really helps if they don't know you're coming anyway.
Plus, how much is it really going to help to know that your enemy's rocket-powered cyborg ninja has arived?
There's really not enough information available to make a guess at this point.

I'm wondering if we might be seeing the construction site for a thermopile-based power station.

The Monochrome Man
17th Sep 2010, 19:35
Sub-orbital flight has a very predictable (parabolic) course, so it would be *really* easy to shoot him down if they knew he was coming. That, and Jensen would probably sink without someone to help him onto the platform - his prosthetics are going to make him much less buoyant than we are.

Finally, there's the 'Oh, some ninny just dropped right next to us, let's get everyone up on the roof with guns so he can't surface' reaction.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
17th Sep 2010, 19:40
Quoting from another thread as the content is very interesting:

Is the last clip in the TGS trailer inspired by Greek mythology, namely The Contest of Poseidon and Athena for the City of Athens?

http://www.greek-gods.info/greek-gods/poseidon/stories/poseidon-athena-contest/

Note this info:

... Poseidon came first: he powerfully struck the earth and created a well with his trident; immediately streaming water shot forth, but water turned out to be salty and not very useful for the population.

Next, it was goddess Athena’s turn. Athena stepped forward, struck her spear in the ground and then she kneeled and planted an olive branch in it, creating this way an olive tree as a symbolization of peace and prosperity on earth.

Cecrops was very impressed by Athena’s gift- much more than that from Poseidon- so he chose Athena to lay claim of the city of Athens and Athens was named after her. God Poseidon, however, was not pleased by the decision of Cecrops and cursed the city of Athens to never have enough water from then on; after that, a major problem of water shortage started in Athens, which continues until nowadays.

mad825
17th Sep 2010, 19:47
Sub-orbital flight has a very predictable (parabolic) course, so it would be *really* easy to shoot him down if they knew he was coming. That, and Jensen would probably sink without someone to help him onto the platform - his prosthetics are going to make him much less buoyant than we are.

He has auto-regen, why should he have a care in the world? >.>

The Monochrome Man
17th Sep 2010, 20:09
I don't think automated repair systems help much if you're blown into kibble, or you die from brain-asphyxia. :)

AxiomaticBadger
17th Sep 2010, 20:10
Finally, there's the 'Oh, some ninny just dropped right next to us, let's get everyone up on the roof with guns so he can't surface' reaction.That's what rebreathers are for. Plus you're assuming he has to surface.
Good point about the flight path though.

El_Bel
17th Sep 2010, 20:55
Quoting from another thread as the content is very interesting:

Note this info:

... Poseidon came first: he powerfully struck the earth and created a well with his trident; immediately streaming water shot forth, but water turned out to be salty and not very useful for the population.

Next, it was goddess Athena’s turn. Athena stepped forward, struck her spear in the ground and then she kneeled and planted an olive branch in it, creating this way an olive tree as a symbolization of peace and prosperity on earth.

Cecrops was very impressed by Athena’s gift- much more than that from Poseidon- so he chose Athena to lay claim of the city of Athens and Athens was named after her. God Poseidon, however, was not pleased by the decision of Cecrops and cursed the city of Athens to never have enough water from then on; after that, a major problem of water shortage started in Athens, which continues until nowadays.

What a giant hole in the water has to do with this myth. I cant see the connection.

Pageygeeza
17th Sep 2010, 21:15
I just finished watching the video continuously for the last 15 mins, totally gobsmacked!

As for theory's and whatnot: I happened to notice that the shaft is labelled "5", this is not a part of that shaft as on the far side of the shaft it reads "5b" so "5" is for that particular shaft. So that would mean there are another 4 of these things on the planet in the game. Perhaps they are conducting biomechanical experiments on the planet, or the fact the planet is dying out and they're trying to find a way to keep it going. Maybe that's what the government want the human populace to think, but others know it's something more sinister, that's prolly why it's trying to be stopped!

I'll go over the vid a few more times and see what I can come up with!

Hmm. Another thing to add: If I remember correctly, the human populace is boycotting the nano technology and our fellah isn't too happy about being cloned. Basically the baddies need the tech so they can be like gods, but the good guys want to eradicate nano technology because the tech is being abused, but they have to fight fire with fire.

It's only one theory, but admittedly I don't really care as to exactly what the story is. When this game comes out, I'm getting it and I'm going to play it to death! I love stories like this, I love the tech involved It's just mind bending.

It reminds me so much of technology from the "Nights Dawn" Trilogy from Peter F Hamilton.

TrickyVein
17th Sep 2010, 21:18
Perhaps they are conducting biomechanical experiments on the planet, or the fact the planet is dying out and they're trying to find a way to keep it going.

I'm really curious to know what you were thinking when you wrote this. Even better - tell me what you were smoking when you wrote this.

Kodaemon
17th Sep 2010, 21:22
Perhaps they are conducting biomechanical experiments on the planet, or the fact the planet is dying out and they're trying to find a way to keep it going. Maybe that's what the government want the human populace to think, but others know it's something more sinister, that's prolly why it's trying to be stopped!

You played way too much Final Fantasy 7.

TrickyVein
17th Sep 2010, 21:26
^^ Is that where he got this - for lack of a better term - idea?

I am somehow not too surprised.

Kodaemon
17th Sep 2010, 21:30
Sure seems like it.

Pageygeeza
17th Sep 2010, 21:33
Lol, cheers guys. Stranger things have happened you know. ;)

TrickyVein
17th Sep 2010, 21:39
You might be able to argue - with the right definition of soil to include microbes and organisms that transfer carbon throughout the profile - that the very upper parts of the Earth, and only those parts in non-desertified or Tundra/arctic regions are alive. Certainly not the crust, and it's not feasible to penetrate into the asthinosphere anyway. This is astounding to me that anyone could think that the Earth itself is actually alive. It's not even good science fiction. It's not science fiction at all. I wouldn't even call it good fantasy. It's hogwash. Like how some people still think the Earth is flat.

I am just amazed.

IOOI
17th Sep 2010, 21:43
I'm really curious to know what you were thinking when you wrote this. Even better - tell me what you were smoking when you wrote this.

Gaia Theory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_hypothesis), man.

mad825
17th Sep 2010, 21:44
now, now. be careful, there might be FF7 fanboys lukering.

Gaia Theory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_hypothesis), man.

misinterpretation?

the "Gaia Theory" is never about life but more of Homeostasis

TrickyVein
17th Sep 2010, 21:45
Leaps and bounds separate this Gaia-hypothesis which accounts for different ecological spheres within, on, and around the planet from the idea that the Earth - the actual silicate-based terrestrial planet with an iron core - is ALIVE.

If there are FF7 fans here, please, please read this and my previous comment.

Pageygeeza
17th Sep 2010, 21:55
I think a few of you read my post out of context. You see films like "The Core" "2012" and general stuff like that, I wasn't referring to the planet as a living entity.

I was going to suggest some kind of warp gate in the middle of the planet. Or maybe even some way of creating faster than light travel by using a gunshot type method of propulsion through the earth. :P

Lady_Of_The_Vine
17th Sep 2010, 22:35
What a giant hole in the water has to do with this myth. I cant see the connection.

It's a loose interpretation of the myth.

Using the symbolism, I figure we can assume two main characters (one who argues for and uses technology (eg David Sarif/H+), against the other who represents a more naturalistic view, eg "Purity First") who, as part of a large corporation or faction, will be competing against each other. We'll see politics and hidden agendas thrown into the mix - with each side offering their reasons/right to be the one who gains power over the other "for the good of humanity".

As with Poseidon and his well, one of our characters builds the structure in the sea shown in the trailer. We don't know what this structure is yet, but it could be related to obtaining fresh drinking water, and/or harnessing energy for the benefit of the people. Either way, you are talking a lot of dollars invested into it.

The myth goes on to say how Poseidon's well becomes contaminated with salt. It becomes 'impure'. In the game, H+ is considered to be such a thing... or perhaps the structure itself becomes contaminated. We don't know yet, but it's the symbolism I'm trying to put together.

Anyway, Poseidon loses the right to power and becomes very angry and curses the city to never have enough water from then on. Perhaps we will see a similar reaction from Sarif (?), with him imposing some sort of embargo on whatever vital resources he has at his disposal.

Just my interpretation. :)

Pageygeeza
17th Sep 2010, 22:44
As with Poseidon and his well, one of our characters builds the structure in the sea shown in the trailer. We don't know what this structure is yet, but it could be related to obtaining fresh drinking water, and/or harnessing energy for the benefit of the people. Either way, you are talking a lot of dollars invested into it.

I'm wondering if that well is the fifth incarnation of it, or there are 5 wells? And if so, why so many?

jtr7
17th Sep 2010, 23:00
Has anyone thought of "Mel's Hole" from two of three interviews on Coast to Coast AM with Art Bell? Talk about conspiracy theories and intense storytelling that surpasses how wacky it really is. While taking a whole different angle, dealing with strange and queasy-making transmutation of matter and life and death through technology regarding these cylinders that penetrate impossibly deep into the crust, and emitting beams of darkness, etc., it coincides with reports of alien craft diving or flying up out of the ocean.

mad825
17th Sep 2010, 23:24
Has anyone thought of "Mel's Hole" from two of three interviews on Coast to Coast AM with Art Bell? Talk about conspiracy theories and intense storytelling that surpasses how wacky it really is. While taking a whole different angle, dealing with strange and queasy-making transmutation of matter and life and death through technology regarding these cylinders that penetrate impossibly deep into the crust, and emitting beams of darkness, etc., it coincides with reports of alien craft diving or flying up out of the ocean.

whoa,whoa, thats going wayyy off-topic.

It would be rather illogical/irrational if the story moved into supernatural or extraterrestrial topics (ok they feature the Gray's as part of roswell but that's it) Deus ex should remain on human technology/philosophy side of things such as transhumanism and so forth.

IOOI
17th Sep 2010, 23:41
now, now. be careful, there might be FF7 fanboys lukering.

misinterpretation?

the "Gaia Theory" is never about life but more of Homeostasis

*slowly backs off*

jtr7
17th Sep 2010, 23:48
whoa,whoa, thats going wayyy off-topic.

It would be rather illogical/irrational if the story moved into supernatural or extraterrestrial topics (ok they feature the Gray's as part of roswell but that's it) Deus ex should remain on human technology/philosophy side of things such as transhumanism and so forth.

X-Files conspiracy theories are not off-topic in a Deus Ex discussion.

lithos
18th Sep 2010, 03:09
They justified the existence of the greys well, at the same time they didn't really answer anything. The techs you talk to aren't sure if they're aliens, or just genetically engineered monkeys.

(My favourite bit is how the tech says that they greys might have super-brains, but they spent their whole lives in cages, so it's not like they know anything great.)

They should keep it AM, not FM, as they say.

Abram730
19th Sep 2010, 12:57
It's a loose interpretation of the myth.

Using the symbolism, I figure we can assume two main characters (one who argues for and uses technology (eg David Sarif/H+), against the other who represents a more naturalistic view, eg "Purity First") who, as part of a large corporation or faction, will be competing against each other. We'll see politics and hidden agendas thrown into the mix - with each side offering their reasons/right to be the one who gains power over the other "for the good of humanity".

The myth goes on to say how Poseidon's well becomes contaminated with salt. It becomes 'impure'. In the game, H+ is considered to be such a thing... or perhaps the structure itself becomes contaminated. We don't know yet, but it's the symbolism I'm trying to put together.

Anyway, Poseidon loses the right to power and becomes very angry and curses the city to never have enough water from then on. Perhaps we will see a similar reaction from Sarif (?), with him imposing some sort of embargo on whatever vital resources he has at his disposal.

Just my interpretation. :)

Actually such a hole in the ocean could be used for reverse osmosis and at those extreme pressures could give you cheap fresh water in large volumes with gravities pull on the ocean providing the energy... enough cheap fresh water to terraform a desert for example(turn the middle east green). Placed in international waters one gets commerce(vacations for illicit activities, questionable research, ext)...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
19th Sep 2010, 23:29
Yes, very possible. :)
I'm looking forward to exploring the place, whatever it is.

Rindill the Red
19th Sep 2010, 23:51
Did no one read my post? They're building a big-ass nuclear fusion reactor at the bottom of the ocean.

Electrolysis provides Hydrogen which is used in the fusion. The oxygen is used either as further fuel or to maintain a breathable atmosphere for the workers.

Being underwater acts as containment and heat dissipation for the reactor.

This ties into the Icarus myth, [EDIT] Adam Jensen (freudian slip there), flying into the sun, which is a giant fusion reactor.

Either this... or...

It actually is the end of the world... as in the world's rear-end as in they are building the world's ass-hole.

AlexOfSpades
20th Sep 2010, 00:30
Did no one read my post? They're building a big-ass nuclear fusion reactor at the bottom of the ocean.

Electrolysis provides Hydrogen which is used in the fusion. The oxygen is used either as further fuel or to maintain a breathable atmosphere for the workers.

Being underwater acts as containment and heat dissipation for the reactor.

This ties into the Icarus myth, JC Denton, flying into the sun, which is a giant fusion reactor.

Either this... or...

It actually is the end of the world... as in the world's rear-end as in they are building the world's ass-hole.

Lol at the plantary ass theory.

But a fusion reactor?

Perhaps if something blew up down there (Chernobyl 2), some untold catastrophe could happen with the underground gargantuan explosion.

Hey... actually that could, maybe, end the world...

mad825
20th Sep 2010, 05:26
Actually such a hole in the ocean could be used for reverse osmosis and at those extreme pressures could give you cheap fresh water in large volumes with gravities pull on the ocean providing the energy... enough cheap fresh water to terraform a desert for example(turn the middle east green). Placed in international waters one gets commerce(vacations for illicit activities, questionable research, ext)...

As much as I respect you of coming up with an answer like that, I hope this is not right.

as the saying goes "fresh water is liquid gold", a conspiracy based on frigging water is damn right lame and yes that includes the historical event. Quantum Solace tried to make it interesting but it failed.

In the words of the infamous Maddox:"JESUS NO!"

Abram730
20th Sep 2010, 10:47
The reason to do it is the spectacle of it all, as in I just made a hole in the ocean.. fresh water would simply be a way to make it economically feasible. The ability to provide massive amounts of fresh water would provide you with both economic and political power, but It's not a conspiracy in it's self. It would go more to the messages of the game.... About reaching to far too fast, overshooting our ability to wield such power without caving into to our base desires and inherent self destructiveness. It's sort of a tower of Babel in reverse. Riding the rocket is another play on Icarus.

Dead-Eye
20th Sep 2010, 13:46

Finally, there's the 'Oh, some ninny just dropped right next to us, let's get everyone up on the roof with guns so he can't surface' reaction.

Aquatic lung anyone?

God Poseidon, however, was not pleased by the decision of Cecrops and cursed the city of Athens to never have enough water from then on; after that, a major problem of water shortage started in Athens, which continues until nowadays.

I just did a Google search on this and came up with this:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/03/world/europe/03iht-dry.4.6976449.html
I guess Greece suffers from water shortages more often then not.

You played way too much Final Fantasy 7.
Well with HR being released in Japan and Squares take over... this was bound to happen. Just remember Warren said educate the noobs.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
20th Sep 2010, 13:55
I just did a Google search on this and came up with this:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/03/world/europe/03iht-dry.4.6976449.html
I guess Greece suffers from water shortages more often then not.

Thanks for that. :)
But attention to this particular myth isn't so much to do with the water shortage per se. It's an analogy of the struggle between technology and nature, the yin and yang etc. People can read the myth again here:
http://www.greek-gods.info/greek-gods/poseidon/stories/poseidon-athena-contest/

rubiomhs
20th Sep 2010, 19:45
As much as I respect you of coming up with an answer like that, I hope this is not right.

as the saying goes "fresh water is liquid gold", a conspiracy based on frigging water is damn right lame and yes that includes the historical event. Quantum Solace tried to make it interesting but it failed.

In the words of the infamous Maddox:"JESUS NO!"

actually, it is a very good interpretation. and it's not a conspiracy theory. the next major conflict will probably be between sudan and egypt for control of the nile cataracts.

TrickyVein
20th Sep 2010, 19:53
^^ This. Some sobering numbers: 95.96% of the Earth's water is salty (in the oceans) and undrinkable. Of the remaining 4.04% of fresh water, 3% is locked away in ice. That leaves around 1% of drinkable, accessible groundwater for humans - and pretty much every other form of life - to consume.

Think about that.

mad825
20th Sep 2010, 20:57
actually, it is a very good interpretation. and it's not a conspiracy theory. the next major conflict will probably be between sudan and egypt for control of the nile cataracts.

very good interpretation not a conspiracy theory I know however the suggestions say otherwise.......and the idea for fresh water for a game like this is still supremely lame

because JESUS NO! the government/private company may be holding a monopoly and yes OMG they raise the price of water, very EPIC(!) and CLIMATIC(!) :hmm:

oh look, history is repeating. INTERESTING(!)

ffs I might as well watch Quantum Solace if I want a ******* story like this.

Think about that.

I did,that why I did refer water as to liquid gold, the term, the idea and the problem is old even older than me as well as you.

Dead-Eye
21st Sep 2010, 00:24
^^ This. Some sobering numbers: 95.96% of the Earth's water is salty (in the oceans) and undrinkable. Of the remaining 4.04% of fresh water, 3% is locked away in ice. That leaves around 1% of drinkable, accessible groundwater for humans - and pretty much every other form of life - to consume.

Think about that.

I'm not saying that the Greek Gods actually existed and that Old Nepy got mad at Athena and that's why there are water shortages in Athens... I'm only saying there are water shortages in Athens. There are far too many logical explanations for this before I'm going to jump on the cook train... as much as I want to. :nut:

Pinky_Powers
23rd Sep 2010, 07:38
^... And this is quintessential trolling.

Postscript. Global Warming is a scam. :)

Irate_Iguana
23rd Sep 2010, 07:54
^... And this is quintessential trolling.

It's actually spamvertising.

Pinky_Powers
23rd Sep 2010, 08:41
I wonder if it's a bot?

AxiomaticBadger
23rd Sep 2010, 23:03
If it was a desalination plant wouldn't it make more sense to base it somewhere were there are water shortages? If there's ice floating around then water probably isn't an issue locally.

Also, unterwater fusion plants? Hideous, hideous idea. I mean, we've already got enough problems from the oceans warming up, to we really want to dump reactors in there? Not to mention fallout if something goes wrong; I like my tea radiation-free thankyou.

Gaunt88
23rd Sep 2010, 23:36
I was under the impression that fusion reactors were pretty clean. As in, no horrible radioactive fallout?

TrickyVein
24th Sep 2010, 02:10
I think there's a bit of radioactive byproduct, but not as much as from nuclear fission. Course, no one's actually done it yet, so who can say? And nuclear power plants don't normally generate fallout - bombs do, but when was the last time you can think of one that was tested?

Pinky, I hope to whatever god(s) you pray to that you're joking when you say that. That would be a real shame.

Kodaemon
24th Sep 2010, 04:29
How about this: whatever they're doing there, leads to destabilizing tectonic plates and the sinking of southern California.

Pinky_Powers
24th Sep 2010, 04:54
Pinky, I hope to whatever god(s) you pray to that you're joking when you say that. That would be a real shame.

What are you talking about?

pringlepower
24th Sep 2010, 05:02
How about this: whatever they're doing there, leads to destabilizing tectonic plates and the sinking of southern California.

Oooo. How has nobody else thought of this?

mad825
24th Sep 2010, 07:28
I was under the impression that fusion reactors were pretty clean. As in, no horrible radioactive fallout?

they are pretty clean however the risk from meltdown (fallout) is very so slightly small, fusion plants uses small amounts of nuclear martial during the reactions to prevent any uncontrolled reactions thus no meltdown

anyway if you want very, very safe fusion. You would be looking at cold fusion.

Tecman
24th Sep 2010, 08:11
I'm liking this theory quite a bit. Way too much, actually.

mad825
24th Sep 2010, 10:08
I'm liking this theory quite a bit. Way too much, actually.

seems good however during the trailer it looked more like a base of operations than a construction site/dooms day device

Kodaemon
24th Sep 2010, 10:10
A caisson like that is usually a construction site by definition.

mad825
24th Sep 2010, 10:17
indeed however it seems more like a red herring.

lithos
24th Sep 2010, 12:24

Nice...

Still, there are other reasons to build something in the middle of the ocean.

AxiomaticBadger
24th Sep 2010, 12:45
In industrial level fusion plant would probably use a lot more material than those active today.

Don't make the mistake of thinking the reaction itself is "clean". Fusion throws out a metric f*tonne of radiation, and you still need to replace the componants every now and then because they've become radioactive.
The trick is that fusion waste degrades in, say, 50 years instead of 5000, and there is less of it.

So yes, fusion plants are cleaner, safer, and more efficient than fission plants.
Safer, of course, depending on there not being 300 tonnes of seawater trying to press it's way into the reactor.
Build it on the seafloor and there doesn't need to be a meltdown for things to go to hell, you just need a ding in the hull.

Pinky_Powers
24th Sep 2010, 13:16
Build it on the seafloor and there doesn't need to be a meltdown for things to go to hell, you just need a ding in the hull.

http://firsthour.net/screenshots/bioshock/bioshock-tunnel-water-rushing-in.jpg

:D

TrickyVein
24th Sep 2010, 14:03

Tectonic plates are already pretty unstable. Plate push/pull trumps whatever extra forces we may exert upon them. Plus, they can only move in specific directions. Also, if you look at this map (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8a/Plates_tect2_en.svg), S. California is not being subducted by the pacific. Pacific plate is really frickin' huge. So is the N. American. How on Earth (quite literally) do you think this could be accomplished? Nukes?

Bah! :eek:

The Monochrome Man
24th Sep 2010, 14:22
You can actually see the bottom of the Caisson if you amp the brightness up a bit. I'll grab a screenie.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/6683/shot0005s.png (http://img707.imageshack.us/i/shot0005s.png/)

With the size of the containers on the cargo ship (~8ft wide each), that's about 300ft long. Extrapolating from there, the Caisson is at least 1500ft deep before they hit the rock, and it looks like it extends at least that far again down. Pretty deep hole, and whatever they're building is being built well below the sea floor, as opposed to on it.

Maybe the plan was to build [unknown], then either cover it up with rock or concrete, or leave the caisson itself in place?
The latter would make logistics a hell of a lot easier, but if they leave it open they could have built it on land anyway - which would itself imply that it's being built in the ocean for site security, or because governments wouldn't let them build it on land.
If we went with the former option, then whatever they're building needs to be able to operate without supplies for extended periods due to access, which would in turn mean that there's a power plant of some kind in there. Fossil fuel based systems would need air, itself in limited supply, so a nuclear or fusion plant would be the obvious way to proceed.

Of course, they may not be building anything at all - this could be some kind of archaeological site, or a hole being dug for an undersea weapons test.

Edit : Gonna have to download the full res version of the trailer instead of the 360p version I've rgabbed from youtube - the video compression makes it tough to see exactly what's going on down there. Maybe I can figure out what those teeth are.

Pinky_Powers
24th Sep 2010, 14:26
this could be some kind of archaeological site,

They're looking for Thor's Hammer!!

AxiomaticBadger
24th Sep 2010, 14:44

They're looking for Thor's Hammer!!

Don't give them ideas!

Artificial volcano? Releiving magma pressure to prevent eruptions elsewhere?

TrickyVein
24th Sep 2010, 14:50
^^ If that's so, than it could only be in Iceland, at the Jan-Mayen hot-spot. There's ice floating around in the water.

Pinky_Powers
24th Sep 2010, 14:53
I think it's pretty clear they're building a Death Ray to fend off the Greys when they arrive in force.

TrickyVein
24th Sep 2010, 16:18
...by tapping into the Earth's magne

Wait, dude, like WTF? Seriously, it's a giant hole in the ocean, what the hell could it possibly be? This is really troubling me now. It's pretty hard to come up with an explanation without sounding completely off your rocker.

Kodaemon
24th Sep 2010, 16:24
I think Pinky's on to something - remember, Sarif has the Death Star plans in his office.

TrickyVein
24th Sep 2010, 16:27
Huh? Pics please? I must have missed this. :confused:

lithos
24th Sep 2010, 16:38
Or they just wanted their own country.

Kodaemon
24th Sep 2010, 16:59
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/9471/deathstarm.jpg

Irate_Iguana
24th Sep 2010, 18:49

I'm not seeing it. Maybe if you accentuated it with some arrows or something, you know. Some visual clue so I know what to look for.

Tecman
24th Sep 2010, 19:22
Here's a clearer shot of the Caisson:
http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/deepend-t.png
(Click to enlarge) (http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/deepend.png)

ChrisVCB
24th Sep 2010, 19:50
The light.......stay away from the light!

My thoughts were, the DX1 team took several 'real life' conspiracies and put them into the context of the DX world - For example, in DX1, Men In Black were real, as were greys, but the story behind them wasn't the same as in the 'real world' version. In much the same way, I wouldn't be suprised if the DX3 took 'real world' conspiracies and gave them a different ingame backstory - for instance, the 'hollow world' conspiracy, which cites an F-off great big hole at the North Pole which leads into an inner earth. Now, i'm sure that Adam Jensen won't be journeying into the inner world anytime soon to meet our long lost reptilian overlords, but they may well have put a 'dx world' twist on that particular conspiracy, in the same way that DX1 had alot of 'truth behind the conspiracy' stuff, all of which was pretty cool.

What the hole is, who knows? A big hole in the ocean, somewhere in the artic? I'm going to go with some kind of power plant. There are some people out there convinced that if you could build a generator of sorts into the north pole, you could use the rotation of the earth as a semi renewable power source (semi in that, the rotation of the earth would slow down quicker than it is naturally decaying - which would not be the end of the world, but maybe you can see it from here? ;) ). Now, in terms of actual viability of this kind of thing in global powerplays and whatnot (for it to be viable as something any major player in the DX world would be interested in) - Well, you'd only have 1 of them. And whoever controlled that, would control the biggest energy source on the planet. So, potentially, with careful thought and writing, it could work as part of a plot device. I can't say i'd be too taken with the idea, just because I think it's a pretty big ask to believe that it'd be possible to engineer turning the earths rotation into a viable power source. You'd also have thought something that major would have alot of influence on the world of DX1.

Then again, DXHR is set in a renaissance of technology. Alot of pioneering stuff could have been started, then abandoned when things started to collapse. And thats before we mention any of Adams handywork - who knows, maybe it was Adams actions that led to the end of the renaissance.

rubiomhs
24th Sep 2010, 19:59
You can actually see the bottom of the Caisson if you amp the brightness up a bit. I'll grab a screenie.

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/6683/shot0005s.png (http://img707.imageshack.us/i/shot0005s.png/)

With the size of the containers on the cargo ship (~8ft wide each), that's about 300ft long. Extrapolating from there, the Caisson is at least 1500ft deep before they hit the rock, and it looks like it extends at least that far again down. Pretty deep hole, and whatever they're building is being built well below the sea floor, as opposed to on it.

Maybe the plan was to build [unknown], then either cover it up with rock or concrete, or leave the caisson itself in place?
The latter would make logistics a hell of a lot easier, but if they leave it open they could have built it on land anyway - which would itself imply that it's being built in the ocean for site security, or because governments wouldn't let them build it on land.
If we went with the former option, then whatever they're building needs to be able to operate without supplies for extended periods due to access, which would in turn mean that there's a power plant of some kind in there. Fossil fuel based systems would need air, itself in limited supply, so a nuclear or fusion plant would be the obvious way to proceed.

Of course, they may not be building anything at all - this could be some kind of archaeological site, or a hole being dug for an undersea weapons test.

Edit : Gonna have to download the full res version of the trailer instead of the 360p version I've rgabbed from youtube - the video compression makes it tough to see exactly what's going on down there. Maybe I can figure out what those teeth are.

it would be embedded inside the seafloor, but it wouldn't be under it, because then the pressure would be too high and the caisson will fail.

the sea floor is extremely thick near land and under it is the unstable asthenosphere.

TrickyVein
24th Sep 2010, 20:08

Clearly, those are plans for the Deathstar, and you can't see the Indian subcontinent at all. :D

Course, there is that ring there too - what else could it be besides a giant laser-shooter?

ChrisVCB
24th Sep 2010, 20:21
^^ If that's so, than it could only be in Iceland, at the Jan-Mayen hot-spot. There's ice floating around in the water.

As it zooms out, if you look carefully, you can see landmass around the site. I wasn't going to mention it because, after about 2 hours of looking around the article circle, I couldn't match what I saw to anything on google earth.

But soon as you're tossing location names about, i'll post it up and let you guys try and figure out if it matches any real world land/icemass

http://www.volcbat.com/images/landmass.jpg

I was originally convinced that to the south was the top of Norway, but if that were true, the rest wouldn't fit.

By the way, the dots of light move with the landmass, so I assume they're lights, rather than random bits of gold.

TrickyVein
24th Sep 2010, 20:26
You'll "let us" try and figure it out!?!? You dirty person!!!

There goes my evening. I was going to see my friends, but no - I've got to locate where this hole is.

Pinky_Powers
24th Sep 2010, 20:40
Maybe looking at Earth landmasses is a mistake. Based on Adam's hair, I'm guessing Human Revolution takes place among some early Martian civilization... before the surface of the planet became uninhabitable. Maybe Human Revolution is a far prequel to Total Recall.

Delever
24th Sep 2010, 20:42
Here's a clearer shot of the Caisson:
http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/deepend-t.png
(Click to enlarge) (http://dxhr.nanoaugur.net/deepend.png)

That does not mean much - In computer graphics we don't make stuff that should not be seen, to reduce render times. That could have been just dark enough for 'endless hole' in that scene.

ChrisVCB
24th Sep 2010, 20:43
You'll "let us" try and figure it out!?!? You dirty person!!!

There goes my evening. I was going to see my friends, but no - I've got to locate where this hole is.

You ought to be thanking me, really. See your friends, or stay on the DX3 forums, trying to solve pointless mysteries?* You know in your heart of hearts, i've just given you the perfect excuse to spend your evening how you really want to spend it.

Maybe looking at Earth landmasses is a mistake. Based on Adam's hair, I'm guessing Human Revolution takes place among some early Martian civilization... before the surface of the planet became uninhabitable. Maybe Human Revolution is a far prequel to Total Recall.

And along a similar line of thinking, perhaps we ought to be looking at the Japanese coastline? :D That was a cheapshot at Square Enix, I know....

*that may not even be related to anything real world....

El_Bel
25th Sep 2010, 00:49
k. Its not a power plant. First of all they have wind mills and solar panels up there. If it was a power plant of a big size, i really dont think they would need to have those. The output of the plant would dwarf the power of the solar panels.

Second i think that it is not a secret project. We see a bloody fedEx company there. There is no way that they could keep it a secret.

Now for some photo analysis.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d155/Dentonas/a40e46dd.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d155/Dentonas/8d8a1b77.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d155/Dentonas/5749d4ec.jpg

AlexOfSpades
25th Sep 2010, 01:02
A, my guess its a ventilation shaft.

B looks like some kind of radar.

C... its... its... a greek temple!?

D, Wind Mills as yo ustated. Perhaps some kind of additional power source?

EDIT:

C Seriously looks like a yellow greek temple. But under heavier inspection, i may say that's just a complex of pipes. Maybe gas pipes (http://www.vinidex.com.au/images/copy-2-of-imgp0221.jpg).

IOOI
25th Sep 2010, 01:08
That does not mean much - In computer graphics we don't make stuff that should not be seen, to reduce render times. That could have been just dark enough for 'endless hole' in that scene.

I've detected a mistake already! :D

They did a 3d model of the caisson with 3 or 5 of those green structures - those similar to where the tower with the number 5 is - around the hole (this is the model you see before the camera tilts down into the hole) and then they've made a place holder of the caisson with 4 green structures to put on when the camera pulls out from inside the hole.

I'm still not sure about the number of green structures in the beggining of the shot because it's not visible in trailer - the boat that passes in front of the camera was possibly put there to hide the other green structures and that's why the shot where AJ's "rocket" crashes seems so strange - it crashes so close to the boat.

Don't believe me. Check out the green structure with the tower number 5, there is no green structure in the opposite side of the caisson and all the other green structures are on axis oblique to the one of tower number 5 (try to imagine an axis that goes from the tower number 5 to the other side and you'll see).
Plus you'll see in the top-down view of caisson (with 4 structures) that there's as dock with yellow structures, that comes out from tower's number 5 green structure, that is missing from the beggining shots.

Check it!

El_Bel
25th Sep 2010, 01:32
A, my guess its a ventilation shaft.

B looks like some kind of radar.

D, Wind Mills as yo ustated. Perhaps some kind of additional power source?

EDIT:

C Seriously looks like a yellow greek temple. But under heavier inspection, i may say that's just a complex of pipes. Maybe gas pipes (http://www.vinidex.com.au/images/copy-2-of-imgp0221.jpg).

Well thats the thing about D. Its not just windmills. They are not connected to the main structure. I am more interested on what is below the wind mills.

If i can pull something right out of my ass, i d say that they are sea elevators. Of course i cant say why i say that. Its just the first thing that popped in my mind. So you are welcome to try to find what is it.

As for C, yeah, i would say that it is a greek temple too. Funny think is that when they zoom out of the hole you cant see it. Maybe a different hole the one that zooms out from the one at the beginning?

AlexOfSpades
25th Sep 2010, 01:35
If its a Greek temple, then this Icarus and Mythology Conspiracy are serious.

rubiomhs
25th Sep 2010, 01:37
I've detected a mistake already! :D

They did a 3d model of the caisson with 3 or 5 of those green structures - those similar to where the tower with the number 5 is - around the hole (this is the model you see before the camera tilts down into the hole) and then they've made a place holder of the caisson with 4 green structures to put on when the camera pulls out from inside the hole.

I'm still not sure about the number of green structures in the beggining of the shot because it's not visible in trailer - the boat that passes in front of the camera was possibly put there to hide the other green structures and that's why the shot where AJ's "rocket" crashes seems so strange - it crashes so close to the boat.

Don't believe me. Check out the green structure with the tower number 5, there is no green structure in the opposite side of the caisson and all the other green structures are on axis oblique to the one of tower number 5 (try to imagine an axis that goes from the tower number 5 to the other side and you'll see).
Plus you'll see in the top-down view of caisson (with 4 structures) that there's as dock with yellow structures, that comes out from tower's number 5 green structure, that is missing from the beggining shots.

Check it!

do you honestly think they made a cinematic just for that tiny segment of the trailer? oh and the boat doesn't hide anything.

IOOI
25th Sep 2010, 01:40
do you honestly think they made a cinematic just for that tiny segment of the trailer? oh and the boat doesn't hide anything.

My eyes don't fool me. I'm used to see 3d shapes.
There's a placeholder.

If they don't admit it fine. I know i'm right. :D:D:D:D:D

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:
----------------------------------

3 or 5? Neither less. Neither more. ;)

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :wave:

Belboz
25th Sep 2010, 02:45
Maybe its to cool the earth down due to global warming, the theory goes if you dig enough tunnels throughout the earth you'll actually make it lighter, and the earth will then move away from the sun making it cooler and eliminate global warming.

rubiomhs
25th Sep 2010, 03:03
Maybe its to cool the earth down due to global warming, the theory goes if you dig enough tunnels throughout the earth you'll actually make it lighter, and the earth will then move away from the sun making it cooler and eliminate global warming.

good god. you're joking right?

do you even have any clue what causes global warming?

Ninjerk
25th Sep 2010, 08:49
B: The structure on the left looks like the Doppler radar blurbs on the local news in Central Florida (used, I guess, exclusively in detecting storms of varying magnitude). The yellow structure makes me think of a drydock (although I'm not familiar enough with drydocks to be sure, I know hey have to have a space where they can purge the seawater).

Abram730
25th Sep 2010, 11:03

Moving mass doesn't make it vanish as in that the mass removed from the earth to make the tunnels would still be on earth. That could actually slow down the earths rotation a tinny amount, but that would not change the overall temperature as far as I know. I mean perhaps the higher daytime temps would cause more radiation into space causing a net cooling, but making it hotter in the day wouldn't be good. More desertification and all. It would require quite a massive amount of mass moved too.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
25th Sep 2010, 11:29
Thinking along the lines of how DX draws upon mythology, I wonder if this structure in the sea is something like the Labyrinth and is, in fact, some sort of prison or other form of containment facility? In the myth, Daedalus and Icarus were imprisoned inside the Labyrinth.

We've already noted the minotaur/bull symbol on Barrett's belt buckle... maybe this structure is where Barrett and company have their headquarters?

mad825
25th Sep 2010, 11:34

I would say a cheap replica version of the Lincoln memorial

lithos
25th Sep 2010, 12:39
Thinking along the lines of how DX draws upon mythology, I wonder if this structure in the sea is something like the Labyrinth and is, in fact, some sort of prison or other form of containment facility? In the myth, Daedalus and Icarus were imprisoned inside the Labyrinth.

Not in the Labrynth. On Crete, the same island as the Labrynth. There'd be no point, since Daedalus was the one who built the Labrynth and was marooned because the Labrynth was not as escape-proof as King Minos had hoped...because Daedalus had betrayed him by giving Theseus, future founder of Athens and enemy of Minos, a ball of thread with which to find his way out of the maze. Also, Theseus killed the Minotaur- by jingo, if that's not a damn good setup for a game level, I don't know what is.

And, of course, founder of Athens. A place thought of as a font of wisdom, learning, philosophy, democracy - a golden place, near utopia. Hmmmm...

Irate_Iguana
25th Sep 2010, 14:18
Daedalus had betrayed him by giving Theseus, future founder of Athens and enemy of Minos, a ball of thread with which to find his way out of the maze.

Ariadne gave the thread and sword to Theseus. Daedalus was imprisoned because Minos didn't want people knowing about the labyrinth.

Kodaemon
25th Sep 2010, 14:27
Myths frequently have a bunch of alternate, conflicting versions, so I wouldn't be surprised to find one where the thread came from Daedalus rather than Ariadne.

EDIT: Anyway, we can agree on one thing: the caisson houses the minotaur. Except we don't agree.

It doesn't matter, the consequences are the same.

Tecman
25th Sep 2010, 18:00
Oh Jonathan Jacques Bellette, you card.

Via Twitter: Does this look familiar DXHR fans? Hmmm... clues... or no clues...? http://infranetlab.org/blog/2009/07/inverted-infrastructural-monuments-pt-2/

ChrisVCB
25th Sep 2010, 18:26
He's hinting it's a spillway in the ocean? That's great, except for that spillways in lakes and resevoirs keep the water level from rising because they direct excess water elsewhere. Putting one in the sea because the icecaps are melting would make sense (particularly putting it up at the Artic), with the one small problem that, where would you put excess ocean water? And even if you find a place to put it, how do you get it there from a spillway on the bottom of the ocean floor??

Ashpolt
25th Sep 2010, 18:50
EDIT: Anyway, we can agree on one thing: the caisson houses the minotaur. Except we don't agree.

I approve of this post. :thumb:

TrickyVein
25th Sep 2010, 22:01
He's hinting it's a spillway in the ocean? That's great, except for that spillways in lakes and resevoirs keep the water level from rising because they direct excess water elsewhere. Putting one in the sea because the icecaps are melting would make sense (particularly putting it up at the Artic), with the one small problem that, where would you put excess ocean water? And even if you find a place to put it, how do you get it there from a spillway on the bottom of the ocean floor??

You might come across an underground cave-system yet un-flooded and proceed to fill it with water. But what's the chance of finding a dry cave underneath the ocean floor? Most of it (all of it, really) is basalt anyway, and incredibly thin compared to continental land-masses. Good question, that.

IOOI
26th Sep 2010, 00:06
If you read my post here (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1500039&postcount=155) you know that I'm trying to show some mistakes or incongruities in this hole scene, so I'll continue that here.

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/438/dxhrbigship1.png (http://img168.imageshack.us/i/dxhrbigship1.png/)
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/38/dxhrcoastguardboat1.png (http://img411.imageshack.us/i/dxhrcoastguardboat1.png/)
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/5360/dxhrholetiltperspective.png (http://img411.imageshack.us/i/dxhrholetiltperspective.png/)

* In order for the placement of green structures to be correct the opposed green structure to the one of tower 5 should be where the green square is.
You can see by the disposition of the other green structures that there's no orthogonality.

------------------------------------

Now lets compare the shape and dimensions of one of the green structures before and after the camera pulls up in order to see the differences.

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/2143/dxhrholetiltstructurewi.png (http://img215.imageshack.us/i/dxhrholetiltstructurewi.png/)

* Here we see that the green line and the redline have approximately the same size. Also we can see 4 white shapes above the number "5b".

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/2945/dxhrholetiltstructurewik.png (http://img215.imageshack.us/i/dxhrholetiltstructurewik.png/)

* When the camera pulls up we can see that something has changed an that the green and red lines have distinguishable measures now. The green structure is wider now (the red line is much bigger than the green line and is not alingned with it) and there are no white shapes and no number "5b".
This indicates us that they used a different model from the caisson for this shot.

------------------------------------

Now we'll take a look to see what have changed from the initial shots to this final top-down shot.

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/6480/dxhrholetopdownturboboa.png (http://img215.imageshack.us/i/dxhrholetopdownturboboa.png/)

* You can see that there's a dock with yellow structures where there was none before and you can see that the ships are displaced from their original place.

If you compare every green structure before and after the camera pulls up from the hole you'll see that there are some differences.

Conclusion:
I can only think of three reasons for the placeholder to be there in the end:
-Probably someone made de mistake of modelling a caisson with 5 green structures (Ups!) and they had to hide it, putting the placeholder with 4 green structures on top of it;
-They made two detached curved parts of the caisson (the one that is closer to the camera an the one further with the two green structures) in order for the hole to appear wider - maybe that's why the caisson is not shot in its whole.
-Someone went with the "anti-design" way and displaced the green structures from their correct position or/and deformed the caisson, giving it an elliptical shape, in order to make the caisson wider and make the shot more appealing (ie: so we could see the number 5b).

Basically the initial caisson was not good for the final shot, when we see it from above, so they decided to do a simpler form of it (just the part above the water) and place it on top.

So these are the possible reasons for the placeholder to be there. But what I'm trying to prove is that there is a placeholder (a different caisson from the one we see in the beggining of the scene).
I don't know if when the camera pulls up from the hole we are actually seeing a different location, but I'm sure that it's not the same caisson. :D

Pinky_Powers
26th Sep 2010, 00:20
Maybe there are two, and they connect through the center of the Earth!! :eek:

IOOI
26th Sep 2010, 00:36
Pinkyyyyy! :poke: Please stop it.

;)

Pinky_Powers
26th Sep 2010, 01:12
The finale could take place at the world's core, in zero gravity. ;)

Corpus
26th Sep 2010, 01:25
The finale could take place at the world's core, in zero gravity. ;)

Lets not turn this into Fahrenheit.

El_Bel
26th Sep 2010, 02:07
Maybe there are two, and they connect through the center of the Earth!! :eek:

Da speedest way tooda Naboo tis goen through da planet core.

The Monochrome Man
26th Sep 2010, 14:40
As it zooms out, if you look carefully, you can see landmass around the site. I wasn't going to mention it because, after about 2 hours of looking around the article circle, I couldn't match what I saw to anything on google earth.

But soon as you're tossing location names about, i'll post it up and let you guys try and figure out if it matches any real world land/icemass
<-->
I was originally convinced that to the south was the top of Norway, but if that were true, the rest wouldn't fit.

By the way, the dots of light move with the landmass, so I assume they're lights, rather than random bits of gold.

I actually posted this on the first(?) page of the thread - but those aren't land masses. They're debris or algea moving around in the sea water - if you catch it a little earlier than the shot you posted, you'll see it's just lighter and darker patches of water.

The little 'lights' are chunks of ice free-floating in the water.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
26th Sep 2010, 19:43
^
How the heck did we miss this?!? :nut:
Thank you.

Von Stalhein
28th Sep 2010, 01:47
*comes out of lurking*

So having read through this thread... a few thoughts.

1) It seems unlikely that this is a Secret Base (TM) for anyone. It's a very large structure, with decent amounts of activity going on around it. Anyone with a spy satellite would be able to spot it. You might argue that it's too small to be noticed, but a) most intelligence agencies are better than that and b) if its in the arctic, then it would probably stick out on a thermal-or-similar image like a sore thumb.

2) The power-plant theory has cropped up several times. The first question here is: why a power plant? Such an expensive construction project would be wasted on any contemporary power production facilities. This leaves a fusion reactor or the hypothesised Earth's axial-rotation-harnesser. My objection, applicable to either experimental power plant, is as follows:

Indubitably, the installation itself requires power to operate, and to that end it may contain a fusion, axial or any other power generator you can imagine; but why would power be its primary function? Based on the presence of ice in several shots, we can safely assume that the installation is in a remote location. The problem then, is this: if you are building a power station, why would you build it so very far away from anything and everything?

Clear objections to this argument are that a) the installation is closer to civilization than I suggest, for instance, Iceland, Alaska, or Northern Russia and b) that the project could simply be an initial prototype. These possibilities however seem to me rather at odds with other things we see: the rocket's arrival at the installation, the implication of the installation as critical to the game's storyline, and so on.

3) So what on Earth could it be? Two little theories/lines-of-enquiry, based around the developer's 'hint-or-not-a-hint' concerning spillage valves (http://infranetlab.org/blog/2009/07/inverted-infrastructural-monuments-pt-2/):

a) Taking the developer's reference as genuine, at least part of the installation's purpose is to funnel water as the sea level rises. This actually raises two more important questions: i) what causes the sea level to rise? and ii) what do you do with the water you collect? The obvious answers are global warming and 'holding-tank-thing' respectively, yet these seem eminently uninspiring and unlikely. So here's the challenge to think about: who/what/why makes the sea level rise, and what/why do they do with the water? What's critical to this line of thought is that you can swap round the importance of any of these questions. The important thing may be that the water level is rising (i.e. something is done that makes this happen, so they are forced to compensate for the unintended side effect of sea level rise). Alternatively, it may be that hundreds of thousands of millions of litres of water come crashing over the side of the installation and down that black hole.

b) Taking the developer's reference as a red herring, the installation has nothing to do with draining water. (However, the hole must nonetheless be capable of withstanding rough seas (and potential overflow thereof), as well as wet weather.) Here then we can concentrate on a few other aspects of the installation. The top part seems to be primarily utilitarian: consisting of docks, radar globe, etc. I propose that these facilities tell us little about the facility: any such installation would require these elements. Instead, we can focus on the interior: here we see what appear to be metal stairwells (the yellow diagonals) as well as offices or labs. This actually leads me to a dull (but quite possibly correct) conclusion: that this is simply a headquarters/laboratory of some kind, the unique construction of which may be more or less innocent, nothing more than a statement of power and influence. Alternatively, there may be (unknown) scientific reasons for the installation to be of this unique form, but we certainly won't be able to determine those from the clips we've seen.

So there we have it. A few thoughts, if nothing else.

TrickyVein
28th Sep 2010, 02:36
German nobility, I think not, but all pretenses aside, everything you mention seems equally plausible at this point. We just don't have enough information to go on. I suppose that's the whole idea.

Pinky_Powers
28th Sep 2010, 10:52
Let us not forget that it's public purpose could easily be a front, and it's prime purpose still a hidden base... only hidden in plain sight; like MJ12 beneath UNATCO. So if it is a reactor, or a spillage system, the actual usefulness of the installation could be widely exaggerated to cover-up its hidden qualities.

JCpies
28th Sep 2010, 15:39
What Pinky is trying to say is, Majestic 12 has a hidden base in the ring around the hole. They say that the hole is to drain excess water to stop it from flooding countries due to the melting of the ice. What they're really doing however, is drowning the Nazis and dinosaurs inside the hollow earth.

AlexOfSpades
28th Sep 2010, 15:57
What Pinky is trying to say is, Majestic 12 has a hidden base in the ring around the hole. They say that the hole is to drain excess water to stop it from flooding countries due to the melting of the ice. What they're really doing however, is drowning the Nazis and dinosaurs inside the hollow earth.

Dude, what?

Really.

What?

Where did that came from!?

Everyone knows the Nazi's are on the dark side of the moon. Du'uh!?

Pinky_Powers
28th Sep 2010, 16:02
The moon is just another MJ12 conspiracy. It's just the back of the sun.

mad825
28th Sep 2010, 17:05
The little 'lights' are chunks of ice free-floating in the water.

Since when did ice emit photons? :eek:

it seems like a cheap rip-off of the earth at "night" (http://www.frigginrandom.com/wp-content/gallery/random-pictures/earth-at-night.jpg) but with gold to fortify this forsaken visual metaphor

TrickyVein
28th Sep 2010, 17:09
Since when did ice emit photons? :eek:

...since when you approximate it as a blackbody? They'd be some pretty looooong wavelengths.

mad825
28th Sep 2010, 17:18
...since when you approximate it as a blackbody?

what? when did I suggest this.:hmm:

IOOI
28th Sep 2010, 20:04
*snip*

No. The important question to me is: Is there a basketball court? ;)

FrankCSIS
28th Sep 2010, 21:41
I was going to say international water base, but the coastline suggests otherwise.

Underwater foundations for a space elevator? Underwater silo or launch platform?

AlexOfSpades
28th Sep 2010, 21:46
Too big for a launch platform, compare it to the ships... its HUUUUGE.

Unless it's a huuuuuuge ICBM.

I guess it would be a InterPlanetary Ballistic Missile then!

o.O

Space Elevator? What do you mean? Like a vertical bridge?

FrankCSIS
28th Sep 2010, 21:56
Yeah, something like that. You'd need some pretty deep foundations to secure a space elevator, so perhaps this might work. It'd be a bit unstable though, I guess.

Honnestly, all I can think of when I see this, especially with the greek temple, is some sort of underwater Terrordrome that vanishes in the sea when the pumps stop evacuating the water all around it. But no one so far mentionned Cobra was in the game :p

AlexOfSpades
28th Sep 2010, 22:20
Maybe they're pumping water away to uncover... ATLANTIS!

* Its a conspiracy (to match the game theme)
* Its mysterious, so it could.. hold the end of the world there~
* Its in the sea!
* Its greek!

Pinky_Powers
28th Sep 2010, 22:25
But no one so far mentionned Cobra was in the game :p

He's the secret conspiracy villain. He even sorta looks like he could be from Deus Ex.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:dPqJ-Yb7VQIv-M:http://xrayvision.today.com/files/2009/04/cobra-commander-gi-joe.jpg&t=1

Lady_Of_The_Vine
28th Sep 2010, 23:02
*comes out of lurking*

1) It seems unlikely that this is a Secret Base (TM) for anyone. It's a very large structure, with decent amounts of activity going on around it. Anyone with a spy satellite would be able to spot it. You might argue that it's too small to be noticed, but a) most intelligence agencies are better than that and b) if its in the arctic, then it would probably stick out on a thermal-or-similar image like a sore thumb.

2) The power-plant theory has cropped up several times. The first question here is: why a power plant? Such an expensive construction project would be wasted on any contemporary power production facilities. This leaves a fusion reactor or the hypothesised Earth's axial-rotation-harnesser. My objection, applicable to either experimental power plant, is as follows:

Indubitably, the installation itself requires power to operate, and to that end it may contain a fusion, axial or any other power generator you can imagine; but why would power be its primary function? Based on the presence of ice in several shots, we can safely assume that the installation is in a remote location. The problem then, is this: if you are building a power station, why would you build it so very far away from anything and everything?

Clear objections to this argument are that a) the installation is closer to civilization than I suggest, for instance, Iceland, Alaska, or Northern Russia and b) that the project could simply be an initial prototype. These possibilities however seem to me rather at odds with other things we see: the rocket's arrival at the installation, the implication of the installation as critical to the game's storyline, and so on.

3) So what on Earth could it be? Two little theories/lines-of-enquiry, based around the developer's 'hint-or-not-a-hint' concerning spillage valves (http://infranetlab.org/blog/2009/07/inverted-infrastructural-monuments-pt-2/):

a) Taking the developer's reference as genuine, at least part of the installation's purpose is to funnel water as the sea level rises. This actually raises two more important questions: i) what causes the sea level to rise? and ii) what do you do with the water you collect? The obvious answers are global warming and 'holding-tank-thing' respectively, yet these seem eminently uninspiring and unlikely. So here's the challenge to think about: who/what/why makes the sea level rise, and what/why do they do with the water? What's critical to this line of thought is that you can swap round the importance of any of these questions. The important thing may be that the water level is rising (i.e. something is done that makes this happen, so they are forced to compensate for the unintended side effect of sea level rise). Alternatively, it may be that hundreds of thousands of millions of litres of water come crashing over the side of the installation and down that black hole.

b) Taking the developer's reference as a red herring, the installation has nothing to do with draining water. (However, the hole must nonetheless be capable of withstanding rough seas (and potential overflow thereof), as well as wet weather.) Here then we can concentrate on a few other aspects of the installation. The top part seems to be primarily utilitarian: consisting of docks, radar globe, etc. I propose that these facilities tell us little about the facility: any such installation would require these elements. Instead, we can focus on the interior: here we see what appear to be metal stairwells (the yellow diagonals) as well as offices or labs. This actually leads me to a dull (but quite possibly correct) conclusion: that this is simply a headquarters/laboratory of some kind, the unique construction of which may be more or less innocent, nothing more than a statement of power and influence. Alternatively, there may be (unknown) scientific reasons for the installation to be of this unique form, but we certainly won't be able to determine those from the clips we've seen.

So there we have it. A few thoughts, if nothing else.

A very interesting first post. Welcome. :wave:

MaxxQ1
29th Sep 2010, 07:24
Yeah, something like that. You'd need some pretty deep foundations to secure a space elevator, so perhaps this might work. It'd be a bit unstable though, I guess.

I don't know why you think it would be unstable. Anchored well into the ground (or into the bedrock below the ocean/sea it's in) at the dirtside end and anchored by a multimegaton asteroid at the space end (in geosynchronous orbit - the same orbital altitude that commsats use, about 22,000 miles up), and it would be stable as anything could possibly be.

See The Fountains of Paradise by Arthur C. Clarke for more info on space elevators.

Also, several colleges and research centers are currently working on possible designs for a space elevator, and there are some videos on You Tube that show some of the tests of a carrier.

More development on carbon nanotubes is needed before it becomes a reality. As of now, they can't make the "fibers" more than a few feet in length, but I have no doubt that within 20 years or so, you'll be able to buy spools of the stuff (and I doubt it would be cheap - initially).

Back on topic. I don't think it's a base for a space elevator as one of those would require a groundside anchor point somewhere near or on the equator (I'm sure one can figure out *why* without much thought), and you don't see much floating ice at the equator, unless it's in a glass.

JCpies
29th Sep 2010, 14:57
I think they're cloning Aryan SS members to conquer the world, with a cryogenically revived Heinrich Himmler bent on starting a neo-holocaust and savagely murdering every non-Aryan human living on the planet.... before taking the war to outerspace.

Pinky_Powers
29th Sep 2010, 15:07
I think they're cloning Aryan SS members to conquer the world, with a cryogenically revived Heinrich Himmler bent on starting a neo-holocaust and savagely murdering every non-Aryan human living on the planet.... before taking the war to outerspace.

I could do fabulous things with a story like that. :thumb:

TrickyVein
29th Sep 2010, 15:10
The moon, mars and beyond is the new Liebestraum?

AlexOfSpades
29th Sep 2010, 15:21
Augmented soldiers are the past!

Beware of the übermensch!

Kodaemon
29th Sep 2010, 15:21
Lebensraum, mein Schatz, Lebensraum. Living space. "Liebestraum" would be "the dream of love".

TrickyVein
29th Sep 2010, 15:22
...I never was good at German. But you know what I meant. :o

KSingh77
29th Sep 2010, 17:40
It is the missile silo of the future.

All it needs now is a howling cowboy,waving his hat as the missile is launched.

JCpies
29th Sep 2010, 19:49
I've gotten into this Nazi Archaeology and occult. Interesting stuff, though Hitler being possesed by the devil, and the pope trying to exorcise him 'at distance'. >_>

AlexOfSpades
29th Sep 2010, 21:22
I knew that i shouldnt trust a man with such hair and stache.

Really.

hem dazon 90
30th Sep 2010, 07:22
Myths frequently have a bunch of alternate, conflicting versions, so I wouldn't be surprised to find one where the thread came from Daedalus rather than Ariadne.

It doesn't matter, the consequences are the same.

God I love that book

Lady_Of_The_Vine
7th Oct 2010, 08:49
Update requested. Did we manage to establish the true/possible geographical location of this structure? :scratch:

Pinky_Powers
7th Oct 2010, 08:52
If so, I must have missed it.

general kane
23rd Nov 2010, 00:06
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7tpuRVZ0Nc

In 1:45..

Any comments on what the hell is that thing.

Fluffis
23rd Nov 2010, 00:12
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7tpuRVZ0Nc

In 1:45..

Any comments on what the hell is that thing.

That's the Anus Mundi Trench.

K^2
23rd Nov 2010, 00:15
You know about tumbling of Earth's rotation axis, right? Earth is a spheroid, not a sphere, and the mass within it is not perfectly distributed. Because of that, the axis tumbles, resulting in rapid climatic changes. Well, to prevent the tumbling, the moment of inertia of the planet has to be adjusted, and so they have to drill that giant hole towards the mantel, forcing a super-volcano to form, redistributing the Earth's mass, and stabilizing the axis.

TheMorten
That's the Anus Mundi Trench.

+1 internets! xD

general kane
And you got that information from./?

K^2
23rd Nov 2010, 00:18
And you got that information from./?
It's the basic rigid-body physics. The total angular momentum is conserved, but because the moment of inertia is a non-unitary tensor, the actual axis of rotation is not aligned with the moment of inertia. That causes the axis to tumble if it's not aligned with a principle axis. I thought everyone knew that. It's basic mechanics.

general kane
23rd Nov 2010, 00:20
Basic mechanics maybe...But are you like sure it is....

K^2
23rd Nov 2010, 00:25
Of course. If you look at the exposition shot, as the camera approaches it, there are coolant towers around. These are to keep the superconductor magnets located lower down the tunnel very, very cold. Since the magma is slightly charged as it exits a volcanic vent, and it travels at high speed, the strong magnetic field of the superconductor magnets can be used to confine and control the flow, preventing the magma from simply melting through the walls (same principle is used in plasma rockets), hitting sea water, and exploding. If it does that, all you get are major tsunamis and a major ash cloud. So the coolant towers are a dead giveaway of its purpose.

Rindill the Red
23rd Nov 2010, 01:04
Of course. If you look at the exposition shot, as the camera approaches it, there are coolant towers around. These are to keep the superconductor magnets located lower down the tunnel very, very cold. Since the magma is slightly charged as it exits a volcanic vent, and it travels at high speed, the strong magnetic field of the superconductor magnets can be used to confine and control the flow, preventing the magma from simply melting through the walls (same principle is used in plasma rockets), hitting sea water, and exploding. If it does that, all you get are major tsunamis and a major ash cloud. So the coolant towers are a dead giveaway of its purpose.

While the nature of the spinning earth is interesting, I don't see any coolant towers... I see a satellite dish ball, and some sort of an exhaust pipe...

K^2
23rd Nov 2010, 01:23
It's the four green structures around the perimeter. I suppose, they don't look very tower-like from above surface because of the dam/wall connecting them.

mentalkase
23rd Nov 2010, 02:57
I just read through this entire thread. Damn impressive. You people are a bunch of smartasses.
I liked the theory that it's some sort of multipurpose facility/power station, one operating as a cover for the other.

Rindill the Red
23rd Nov 2010, 03:36
http://i55.tinypic.com/240zomq.jpg

Rindill the Red
23rd Nov 2010, 03:41
*comes out of lurking*

It could have many functions... some of them secret.

They could be harnessing the power for some as-of-yet-unknown but very cool and sci-fi purpose, or it could be a prototype... notice the "5b" on the side... perhaps this is just one of many such structures (in fact the 5th-b one of them).

Partydrank
23rd Nov 2010, 06:41
I dont know if anyone has mentioned and im sure you've all seen this but right after it zooms out of the hole in the ocean, H 3 + shows up which is Helium 3 an element that is being used right now for research in nuclear fusion. Im going to say that hands down it has to do with nuclear fusion.

K^2
23rd Nov 2010, 08:26
Helium-3 is ³He. ³H is Hydrogen-3, aka Tritium, aka the other isotope commonly associated with fusion. And as you can see, the isotope number goes to the left, not the right, of the element symbol. Top right corner is usually reserved for charge.

[h+]³ is the symbol EM uses for Deus Ex: Human Revolution. [h+] for the transhumanism, and 3 for the DX3. I guess, hey really wanted to make it look like Half-Life 2 with their λ².

CallMeIshmael
23rd Nov 2010, 10:50
The 'Greek temple' is apparently the metal superstructure of something. My money's on a dry dock.

AxiomaticBadger
23rd Nov 2010, 14:17
Well, I think we can all agree on one thing. This spooner is the reason Califoria's taking a dive.

Rindill the Red
23rd Nov 2010, 16:34
Well, I think we can all agree on one thing. This spooner is the reason Califoria's taking a dive.

Interesting... that could tie into California's disappearance... of course I've always thought it was an evil plot by a Bond-villain Bollywood producer who wanted to get rid of Hollywood.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
20th Apr 2011, 21:50
The 'Greek temple' is apparently the metal superstructure of something. My money's on a dry dock.

Amazing how it does look like a temple though. :D

Anyway, thread resurrection. Is there any further information about this structure?
Was it mentioned in the novel or comics?

Jerion
20th Apr 2011, 21:53
Interesting... that could tie into California's disappearance... of course I've always thought it was an evil plot by a Bond-villain Bollywood producer who wanted to get rid of Hollywood.

Wouldn't work. There wouod still be Vancouver to deal with (aka Hollywood North).

Amazing how it does look like a temple though. :D

Anyway, thread resurrection. Is there any further information about this structure?
Was it mentioned in the novel or comics?

It's not in the book IIRC, unless by forgotten veiled reference. I haven't read the comics, don't know there.

The_Sorrow
24th Apr 2011, 16:33
Here is something new I guess that I noticed a while ago but I was too lazy to post. It was during the first seconds of the pre-order trailer.

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/8080/dxhrpreordertrailersree.png (http://img834.imageshack.us/i/dxhrpreordertrailersree.png/)

We may finally get a name for this hole in the ocean. I have searched the forum and apparently it was also discovered by Kodaemon using an another original way.

Dug up from google cached previous version:

Also, a list of key words:

Panchea?

EDIT: Panchaea. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panchaea)

JCpies
24th Apr 2011, 17:54
Good spot! Good first post! Welcome to hell!

[FGS]ChineseDemocracy
24th Apr 2011, 18:17
This hole in the ocean intrigues me.

AgentOrange
24th Apr 2011, 19:00
I actually noticed the Shanghai Panchaea add but didn't make a connection to the ocean hole though, I thought it was an add for a random in-game company, good post Sorrow :)

The game's story is getting more and more interesting over time, I can't wait to play the game.

TrickyVein
24th Apr 2011, 19:44
Good spot! Good first post! Welcome to hell!

What does that make you, Beezlebub? What does that make us? Soldiers or residents?

MaxxQ1
24th Apr 2011, 22:08
What does that make you, Beezlebub? What does that make us? Soldiers or residents?

The inmates running the asylum.

TrickyVein
24th Apr 2011, 22:14
^^ Like OZ?

http://www.iansmith.co.uk/image/blog/March2007/OzOne_3.jpg

Partydrank
24th Apr 2011, 22:25
^"Give me t!ts!!!"

and good spot The_Sorrow

AgentOrange
24th Apr 2011, 22:56
^^ Like OZ?

http://www.iansmith.co.uk/image/blog/March2007/OzOne_3.jpg

wow Instantly made me remind, for some reason, the Blade Runner "Give me more life ****er" scene with the replicant killing it's creator :p

TrickyVein
24th Apr 2011, 23:08
That's a good one :)

Or Leo's "Wake up! Time to die."

In some versions it's actually "give me more life, Father"

AgentOrange
24th Apr 2011, 23:35
I like threads about the game's plot. At first, I thought the game would be dumbed down and it's plot would be something like:

"Oh no! An evil guy with a minigun in his hand killed my girlfriend! I must kill him to get revenge!"

But now, I think it might be something more interesting than that...

Rindill the Red
25th Apr 2011, 00:01
I like threads about the game's plot. At first, I thought the game would be dumbed down and it's plot would be something like:

"Oh no! An evil guy with a minigun in his hand killed my girlfriend! I must kill him to get revenge!"

But now, I think it might be something more interesting than that...

I imagine its layered like the original. Shallow players can enjoy it on their level, deep players can delve into it.

AgentOrange
25th Apr 2011, 00:18
I imagine its layered like the original. Shallow players can enjoy it on their level, deep players can delve into it.

That's actually what I hope from DX:HR. Some people might say it got not the best graphic engine but I completely don't care. What I want is a good story and a fun gameplay.

Jerion
25th Apr 2011, 00:36
It might not have the lighting of CE2/3 or Frostbite 2, but that realtime smoke is unparalleled. :cool:

Pinky_Powers
25th Apr 2011, 03:14
It might not have the lighting of CE2/3 or Frostbite 2, but that realtime smoke is unparalleled. :cool:

Good. I do like to smoke in real time. :cool:

IdiotInAJeep
25th Apr 2011, 04:54

FLAMETHROWER FOR HUMAN REVOLUTION!:eek:

TrickyVein
25th Apr 2011, 05:16
Is this a confirmed weapon? I don't see that it is, never remember hearing about it, ever knowing about any potential flamethrower - it's been in the last two - I bet you can get one.

SilverCog
28th Apr 2011, 03:56
The funny thing is that it's shown in the daytime, when DX games have always taken place at night.

MaxxQ1
28th Apr 2011, 05:08
The funny thing is that it's shown in the daytime, when DX games have always taken place at night.

This point was brought up even before the hole-in-the-ocean trailer. I believe there will be a few daylight areas in the game.

SilverCog
28th Apr 2011, 15:20
This point was brought up even before the hole-in-the-ocean trailer. I believe there will be a few daylight areas in the game.

I can see a "Night Time" mod coming out, in addition to the "No Third Person" and "No Regenerative Health" mods.

JCpies
28th Apr 2011, 16:50
I can see a "Night Time" mod coming out, in addition to the "No Third Person" and "No Regenerative Health" mods.

And there will be a mod to replace Adam's voice with mine.