16th Sep 2010, 11:39
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-scLLI599-g

Moderator Edit:

FYI, so not lost in the thread:

HEY!

Wanna know what the rocket is?

From David Anfossi:

"Low-Earth-Orbit Shuttlecraft or L.E.O craft

These are the future in earth travel, but limited to billionaires and corporations because they are so expensive to operate. They enable people to cut down travel time between one city and another by launching into low earth orbit and dropping back down in sync with the earth's rotation. Thus, one can hop from American to China in about half the time it would take to travel by conventional airplanes."

NKD
16th Sep 2010, 11:47
Whoa! What was going on at the end there? That building in the ocean looked amazing. I wonder who it belongs to? Also, some kind of rocket powered travel? I wonder where that comes into play. Leaves me with a lot of questions.

Esnuk
16th Sep 2010, 11:58
\/\/ (_) \/\/ ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

sonicsidewinder
16th Sep 2010, 12:03
"Deus Ex: Space Marine" at 1:30.

nexusdx
16th Sep 2010, 12:03
日デ本語ス吹きク替えス版スウエク!!!!

Esnuk
16th Sep 2010, 12:05
This video has just defiled me.

xsamitt
16th Sep 2010, 12:07
EM....Looking fantastic here.Here's to making my fears melt away.Digging the direction big time.:thumb:

TrickyVein
16th Sep 2010, 12:07
I just lost a good chunk of faith in this game.

AJ on a rocket. That just happened.

LAUGH OUT LOUD!!!

Bono
16th Sep 2010, 12:08
Somehow I think that the Japanese language is very fitting to this game.

What are ya talking about? This is a very realistic, grim, serious game, grounded in the real life. Life as it is seen by teens, that is.

TrickyVein
16th Sep 2010, 12:13
^^ Yep, this game is not for me.

Silly Square Enix. When will you grow up? Oh wait, the industry has grown up. :hmm:

avenging_teabag
16th Sep 2010, 12:16

What.
Say it ain't so. The video's not loading for me for some reason.

Spyhopping
16th Sep 2010, 12:17
Uhhh rocket. Hole in sea. What.

Great, now I have to go to work with an imploded brain.

Kodaemon
16th Sep 2010, 12:19
I'm pretty sure Adam's japanese voice is Jouji Nakata, which is awesome.

TrickyVein
16th Sep 2010, 12:20
http://www.critical-hits.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/189839the-rocketeer-posters.jpg

AJ on a ROCKET. It's true.

Is there another game called "Deus Ex" that I'm not aware of? Is all of this one big mix-up? Did I register at the wrong forums?

puzl
16th Sep 2010, 12:21
An amazing trailer, lots of new material to digest and STILL you get the bitter losers crying in this thread :lol:

Moaning about a rocket for gods sake? :lol: Perhaps you forgot that Warren originally wanted this in DX1? Keep the tears rolling :lol:

TrickyVein
16th Sep 2010, 12:23
There's a good reason his idea didn't make it into the original.

It's really, really stupid.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
16th Sep 2010, 12:23
OMG! Superb! Thanks for posting.
Good to see Fedorova kicking ass there... and it's now pretty much confirmed that she is the Augmented One. :cool:

puzl
16th Sep 2010, 12:28

Still found its way into the sequel, in the form of Ophelia though.

It's just funny reading all the crybabies say that rockets have no place in the DX universe. They have always been there, in one way or another. Satalites or stations in space don't get there by themselves you know :lol:

Ashpolt
16th Sep 2010, 12:31
Hehe, I just saw this on my phone at lunch, and was rushing here to post about it, only to find I'd been beaten to the punch.

I agree with comments above: Adam riding on / in a rocket is frakkin' stupid* and has no place in a Deus Ex game. I think this post really sums it up:

Sadly, I'm sure the Halo crowd are all going "ROFL DIS IZ SO KEWL LMAO ^_^ xD" right now, so Eidos will be getting their pockets lined regardless.

Despite my severe reservations about the gameplay of this title, I had some level of hope that the story would at least be gritty and grounded in reality. No more. Great job, guys!

[EDIT] @Puzl: Rockets in a Deus Ex game are fine. Riding on rockets is not.

*Side note to the creators of the Battlestar Galactica remake: Thanks for coming up with a way to adequately express my extreme distaste for something, but which isn't technically a swear word so doesn't get picked up by language filters.

Irate_Iguana
16th Sep 2010, 12:31
Not that impressed by the trailer. Almost 90% of it was recycled material. We got confirmation that Fedorova is indeed the augmented butt from the second trailer. The other thing we got was Adam as the Rocketeer and one of those hollow tubes they use to work on river beds.

"Deus Ex: Space Marine" at 1:30.

This video has just defiled me.

LAUGH OUT LOUD!!!

Yeah, this sums up my thoughts pretty well about that bit.

AlexOfSpades
16th Sep 2010, 12:32
MyImmortal STOLE MY SPEECH!

I thought the same, gah! Your fingers were quicker, it seems.

Fedorova is the Augmented One. And what an awesome hair!

By the looks she really seems to be enjoying shooting down those civilians. Perhaps she needs someone to teach her a lesson!

I loved the video. Thanks for posting!!!

I dont like those people who ignore all the efforts the company are putting into the game just because there's a rocket.

So what, really.

I think the game is going to be great. And i'm going to play it, no matter what.

Because i'm not married to JC Denton, so i dont want every single game to be an exact copy of the first Deus Ex. I'm a fan, but i'm open minded and i'll accept changes.

Thanks Eidos for the video, without you, we wouldnt even have a Deus Ex.

puzl
Despite my severe reservations about the gameplay of this title, I had some level of hope that the story would at least be gritty and grounded in reality. No more. Great job, guys!

so rockets that take people to space don't exist in real life? :lol:

Spyhopping
I'll be fine with it, it's just kind of... unexpected. I was looking forward to some gritty alleyways and the such, not Jensen taking a holiday to a giant hole in the sea.

Kodaemon
16th Sep 2010, 12:35
Now if someone can confirm if it's indeed Jouji Nakata voicing Adam then I can get to photoshopping Adam's head on Alucard and vice versa.

Irate_Iguana
16th Sep 2010, 12:35

They tend to be hulking behemoths that are used to send people into space. Not intercontinental ballistic missiles used to send people plunging into the sea next to a ship.

Kodaemon
16th Sep 2010, 12:36
They tend to be hulking behemoths that are used to send people into space. Not intercontinental ballistic missiles used to send people plunging into the sea next to a ship.

They just tried to emulate MGS some more, with Snake's torpedo entry into Shadow Moses.

Coyotegrey
16th Sep 2010, 12:39
Well, there it is...in Japanese. English one's coming tomorrow, folks.

H.D.Case
No rocket in DX? So what was the thing in the silo?

The trailer is worse than the last one. The editing is much worse. Plus, 90% is old :P This hole at the end though... it reminds me of something. I am not sure what... Can't connect it with anything specific, but for some reason X series and Babylon 5 come to my mind. Never played/seen any of those, but saw trailers, so maybe sb will confirm? ;)

AlexOfSpades
I can really imagine the face of all the Eidos Montreal and Square developers, creating all of those polygons and textures, animating everything, creating such a surprise for all of us, and then the "hardcore zomg fans" think the game "sux ballzors" because in the trailer of the game a rocket appears for 3 seconds.

Just like Thief Deadly Shadows, which was an improved version of the previous games, with very very great story, the same atmosphere with new features, but then "the game suxx ballzors because the arrows make trails and theres no rope arrow lolz".

No one cares about story, graphics, gameplay, fun.

If in the trailer LOOKS LIKE the character "rides" a rocket, then the game fails. WTF, really.

Arent you trolling too much?

Spyhopping
16th Sep 2010, 12:40
Mere reference to the Icarus myth clearly wasn't enough, he had to shoot up to the sun on a one man rocket.

Alright, I'm sure I'll get over it.

Irate_Iguana
They just tried to emulate MGS some more, with Snake's torpedo entry into Shadow Moses.

As a side note, my playlist kicked-off "Ring of Fire" during the trailer and managed to get to the chorus about burning rings of fire just as the rocket section came up. Also, Ring of Fire works pretty well as a soundtrack for the trailer.

IOOI
Close one! My prediction was almost right.
I predicted that we would have jetpacks in DX4 (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1410537&postcount=207) and now we have a rocket in HR.

I'll buy the lotto now, let's see if I can get the second prize. Wish me luck. $_$

Kodaemon
Well, there it is...in Japanese. English one's coming tomorrow, folks.

Hi Coyotegrey, could you please check who's doing Adam's voice in the japanese version? :)

Lady_Of_The_Vine
16th Sep 2010, 12:41
MyImmortal STOLE MY SPEECH!
I thought the same, gah! Your fingers were quicker, it seems.
Fedorova is the Augmented One. And what an awesome hair!
By the looks she really seems to be enjoying shooting down those civilians. Perhaps she needs someone to teach her a lesson!
I loved the video. Thanks for posting!!!
I dont like those people who ignore all the efforts the company are putting into the game just because there's a rocket.
So what, really.
I think the game is going to be great. And i'm going to play it, no matter what.
Because i'm not married to JC Denton, so i dont want every single game to be an exact copy of the first Deus Ex. I'm a fan, but i'm open minded and i'll accept changes.
Thanks Eidos for the video, without you, we wouldnt even have a Deus Ex.

I'm not sure why some people find the rocket scene a problem. This kind of thing is already pretty much happening. ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-66AcTo9TU

Enjoy the music too! :cool:

Esnuk
16th Sep 2010, 12:41

Exactly.

puzl
16th Sep 2010, 12:43

And yet, the closest we've come to mechanical body augmentations in real life is having an aibo dog as a pet. Didn't stop them being in the original DX though did they? Don't even get me started on nano augmentation.

It's a sci-fi game, set in an alternative, fictional future universe. Go figure.

Ashpolt
16th Sep 2010, 12:43

Not without years and years of training for the pilots and a multi-person crew they don't, no.

And it's not about realism in the sense of "what does and doesn't exist in reality" - Mars exists, but I don't want to see Adam go there - so much as "what is broadly conceivable for the character to do." Adam is a security guard who gets caught up in a conspiracy. Augs I can buy. Jet-setting, sure. Facing down mechs? Why not. But single-handedly piloting a rocket - why would he do that? It's a ridiculous idea put in to appeal to those who will be impressed by simple flashiness without any thought behind it - which, I suppose, is why EM are releasing so many pre-rendered trailers in the first place.

Irate_Iguana
16th Sep 2010, 12:44
If in the trailer LOOKS LIKE the character "rides" a rocket, then the game fails. WTF, really.

Arent you trolling too much?

It reeks of the same juvenile "Rule of Cool" design decisions that have stood at the cradle of some of the worst decisions for this game. It alludes to a standard action game aimed squarely at the drunken frat boy demographic.

II J0SePh X II
16th Sep 2010, 12:44
ROFL DIS IZ SO KEWL LMFAO ^_^

I'm confused, where is he actually going in the rocket?

Kodaemon
16th Sep 2010, 12:46
ROFL DIS IZ SO KEWL LMFAO ^_^

He's using it to get to that big installation at the end of the trailer.

H.D.Case
16th Sep 2010, 12:47
I know we are horrible and all, don't worry EM :D, but just let me add another comment :D
The comment is - I hoped for different music in this one. I have an idea. There is still time until tomorrow. Put this song in the English trailer :D Surfing on a rocket (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siJlPtWkmzw&ob=av3e)

IOOI
16th Sep 2010, 12:48

Are you saying that the rocket failed to get to its destination? Tell me more. ~.~

Kodaemon
16th Sep 2010, 12:49
Frankly, I'm bothered by super-sexy-dual-submachine-gun-wielding-fetishist-punk-psycho Fedorova than I am about the rocket.

NKD
He's using it to get to that big installation at the end of the trailer.

I imagine it's some kind of strategy for getting past anti-air defenses or something. It's hard to say though, there's no context or anything, so I'll reserve judgement on that. Still, that building at the end looked absolutely epic. Can't wait to get into there and sneak around!

Lady_Of_The_Vine

Perhaps he's heading for (or heading away from) that floating circular structure on the sea?
He could also be over-riding the missile's original flightpath?

puzl
Not without years and years of training for the pilots and a multi-person crew they don't, no.

And it's not about realism in the sense of "what does and doesn't exist in reality" - Mars exists, but I don't want to see Adam go there - so much as "what is broadly conceivable for the character to do." Adam is a security guard who gets caught up in a conspiracy. Augs I can buy. Jet-setting, sure. Facing down mechs? Why not. But single-handedly piloting a rocket - why would he do that? It's a ridiculous idea put in to appeal to those who will be impressed by simple flashiness without any thought behind it - which, I suppose, is why EM are releasing so many pre-rendered trailers in the first place.

And again, you have no idea why he is riding the rocket in the first place. I'm sure the story will explain exactly why this happens. It's not like you walk to the end of a Shanghai street and suddenly find a rocket to pilot you to your next destination... probably. You can buy the fact that augmentations allow this former security guard to become a supreme computer hacker, yet they don't give him the ability to pilot a rocket? How does that work?

Keep the tears rolling people. If you hate the direction the game is going so much, then stop wasting your time moaning in a forum, where the developers obviously don't give a **** about your opinion. War has changed people! :lol:

AlexOfSpades
16th Sep 2010, 12:50
What is that installation, that huge silo?

Does it contain a huuuuuge ICBM?

Or maybe is one of those Hadron Colliders!

Or a hole to the other side of the world~

And what is that [h+]³ ??

puzl
16th Sep 2010, 12:51
Are you saying that the rocket failed to get to its destination? Tell me more. ~.~

Nope, it seems that the rockets drops him next to the ship. What i'm saying is that rockets have existed for 50 years now, which take people to space. Why is it so surprising that they could be used to drop people on the other side of the ocean too? :D

Irate_Iguana
16th Sep 2010, 12:53
What is that installation, that huge silo?

Took me a while to come up with the name, but that structure is what is referred to as a caisson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caisson_%28engineering%29). It is used for construction in water.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
16th Sep 2010, 12:57
Took me a while to come up with the name, but that structure is what is referred to as a caisson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caisson_%28engineering%29). It is used for construction in water.
Nice find. Thank you.

II J0SePh X II
16th Sep 2010, 13:01
Will we be able to dual-wield SMGs for some serious pew-pew?

AlexOfSpades
16th Sep 2010, 13:02
Another Question:

Who is the Augmented man with red armor?

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/3215/mysteriousman.png

Esnuk
16th Sep 2010, 13:04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJppnG1tflU&ob=av2e

Irate_Iguana
16th Sep 2010, 13:05

It's not red armor. That seems to be either the color of his augmentations or, similar to what Tong has, a bunch of scarred flesh. You can see that more clearly in the cinematic trailer that they put out quite a while back. He's the one that punches Adam out the window. I've tried tying him to Barrett, which was hard back then, but he is not the same character.

II J0SePh X II
16th Sep 2010, 13:05
^He's a black Ops guy who raids the lab AJ is guarding at the beginning of the game, I think.

AlexOfSpades
16th Sep 2010, 13:07
So for possible antagonists so far, we have Fedorova, this red augmented man and that african soldier with huge armor?

Esnuk
16th Sep 2010, 13:08
Another Question:

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/3215/mysteriousman.png

I suppose he is a member of the organization called Purity First.

Dr_Bob
16th Sep 2010, 13:09
The trailer looks pretty cool and I can't wait to hear it in English.

Also, I don't see the issue with the rocket thing.

Talk about picking out one tiny detail and writing out a paragraph on why it sucks and why Halo fans will be pleased.

avenging_teabag
16th Sep 2010, 13:10
Okay, now that I've actually seen the video, I don't think it was actually a rocket, as if: AJ didn't travel through space on it, just a supersonic transport device which he uses to get to that caisson. Looks fooking retarded, no doubt.

Also, the Bland Scientist Woman is very probably Adam's gf - they showed her screaming not once, but twice.

I'm now going to employ the same tactics as people who were pooh-poohing the mindblowing E3 tailer - It doesn't mean anything, it's only CGI! Also, possibly the English version will give more info. So there.

avenging_teabag
16th Sep 2010, 13:16
So for possible antagonists so far, we have Fedorova, this red augmented man and that african soldier with huge armor?
You forgot Barrett :rasp:

I don't honestly think that red-arm guy is all that important - he's probably just one of the goons who raided Sarif Ind.

AlexOfSpades
16th Sep 2010, 13:18
You forgot Barrett :rasp:

I don't honestly think that red-arm guy is all that important - he's probably just one of the goons who raid Sarif Ind.

Okay i give up i suck.

Where do you guys get those names? Barrett? Sarif?

I've seen a lot of names in the forums, and the only one i recognize is Fedorova.

Who are those? Where do you guys get those info?

D:

Such a conspiracy in this forum~

Irate_Iguana
16th Sep 2010, 13:18
that african soldier with huge armor?

That guy works for an organization called Bell Tower. One of the screenshots shows an partial advertisement for them. I can't seem to find it at this moment.

avenging_teabag
16th Sep 2010, 13:22
@AlexOfSpades Barrett is the huge augmented guy who beats the **** out of Adam in the E3 trailer. Sarif Ind. is the company Adam works for. Also, the FAQ thread on top of the page is useful http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=86841 ;) :flowers:

AlexOfSpades
16th Sep 2010, 13:25
@AlexOfSpades Barrett is the huge augmented guy who beats the **** out of Adam in the E3 trailer. Sarif Ind. is the company Adam works for. :flowers:

Oooooh~

Got it c:

Barrett is the "i'll take yu to hell!" guy!

Where did you got those names, though?

Sabretooth1
16th Sep 2010, 13:26
By the bye, using my super-limited Japanese skills, I've deciphered that Adam says "I am reborn." in the early part of the trailer. Near the end, the woman says "The world isn't over," and I'm guessing you know what the rest means.

Did anyone else notice that the part where Adam tries to stop the hacker has been mirrored? On viewing the trailer again, the part where Adam draws his blades in his apartment is also mirrored.

Also, it looks like [h+]^3 is the de facto logo for the game.

now we have a rocket launcher in HR.
We had two different types of rocket launchers in Deus Ex itself, what're you getting at?

You know, a security specialist who gets wrapped up in a conspiracy and ends up piloting a rocket sounds a lot like something Stephenson would write.

Kodaemon
16th Sep 2010, 13:27
Oooooh~

Got it c:

Magazine previews.

IOOI
16th Sep 2010, 13:33
Nope, it seems that the rockets drops him next to the ship. What i'm saying is that rockets have existed for 50 years now, which take people to space. Why is it so surprising that they could be used to drop people on the other side of the ocean too? :D

Sooo will there be gameplay based on a water level?

We had two different types of rocket launchers in Deus Ex itself, what're you getting at?

Sorry, edited that (hihihi). I was making a reference to the rocket AJ is riding.

H.D.Case
We spoiled the surprise btw. I think what the trailer shows is:
1. EM does not have much material to show us, so they make a big whole out scraps to meet our rising demands :P So ut means they are trying to DO something. Plus, they either can't show the rest or don't want to make spoilers. It means that we should just stop checking on the game and wait until the release.

2. Whatever the game is, making a sequel/prequel to a successful title will always result in discussions and mocking like that. Take Start Wars, as an example. First we had "those awful Ewoks", then "the failed ep1", failed ep. 2 and so on, If those were the first titles of the title, nobody would bother to comment on that. I am seriously considering cutting myself off any dx related forums and sites until, let's say, January. If the game's good, I will be more than happy. If it fails, at least it won't grow to the failure it is bound to grow in the eyes of those who pick on every little thing for an externded period of time. Meh.

InGroove2
i think the idea of the rocket vs. AJ's nightmare of flying too close to the sun... is pretty cool actually. shows that at the very least, this is a very character oriented story, which is a huge plus to my mind.

i mean, the "why" of the rockett is obviously a big deal... but the idea i like on its own. i mean, who wrote the rules on how much suspension of disbelief is too much for DX? MiB's who explode upon dying isn't retarted in its own way?

i would have bought the proposed space mission in DX... i see reason to not buy that this guy will go as far as to ride in some sort of rocket, whether its to space or not. who cares... seriously?

WildcatPhoenix
16th Sep 2010, 13:37
Just another resounding "Meh" from me.

Painfully blunt characterization. Melodramatic "epic epicness." Mostly recycled footage. And Adam becomes The Rocketeer.

What else needs to be said?

AlexOfSpades
16th Sep 2010, 13:43

Painfully blunt characterization. Melodramatic "epic epicness." Mostly recycled footage. And Adam becomes The Rocketeer.

http://www.lostrepublic.us/Graphics/DoubleFacePalm.jpg

Lady_Of_The_Vine
16th Sep 2010, 13:44
... who wrote the rules on how much suspension of disbelief is too much for DX?

I don't think there is any really, Yves Rossy is flying like a bird today. Lucky man! :D
http://www.maniacworld.com/real-rocket-man.html

PillsAgainstOrders
16th Sep 2010, 13:55
Okay..Where should I start...

That rocket scene was completely random. I hope you didnt just spoil a big part of the story with that scene.

And for **** sake plz tell me that Adam is not driven forward to revenge his dead lover! :(

I hope that this is just me, but...that chick felt like she was just pulled out from final fantasy universe...giving these comic/anime fibes. :s

Sabretooth1
16th Sep 2010, 13:57
I, for one, still fervently hope for woman-is-Adam's-sister hypothesis. It worked in Mirror's Edge!

Bono
16th Sep 2010, 13:58

I think, it is based on one of the missions in the game where you stealthily infiltrate the ship. Nobody on the ship would notice a huge rocket plunge there. You know what I mean, right?

Also, Ashpolt, how dare you? You were given an exclusive screenshot to make you less vocal, but your scepticism just grows with time! This is not right.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
16th Sep 2010, 13:59
I, for one, still fervently hope for woman-is-Adam's-sister hypothesis.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Or otherwise a very close friend, not just a co-worker.
It would be a cool twist if Fedorova is Adam's sister! :eek:

Kodaemon
16th Sep 2010, 14:01
Oh God I can imagine the fan fics now.

avenging_teabag
16th Sep 2010, 14:12
I, for one, still fervently hope for woman-is-Adam's-sister hypothesis. It worked in Mirror's Edge!
It doesn't make any difference really - still a cliche, used to hell and back.

lithos
16th Sep 2010, 14:21
Holy crap, someone else besides me actually read Stephen Reilly's Ninety East Ridge?

AlexOfSpades
16th Sep 2010, 14:21
Oh God I can imagine the fan fics now.

Deus Ex Natural Augmentation: Antifanfic Defensive System

Aerosol nanoparticles are released upon the detection of fan-written stories fitting the psychological threat profile of sexual activities inside the stories; these nanoparticles will prematurely detonate such texts prior to reaching the agent's ears.

TECH ONE: The range at which fanfics are detonated is short.
TECH TWO: The range at which detonation occurs is increased slightly.
TECH THREE: The range at which detonation occurs is increased moderately.
TECH FOUR: The writer's head is detonated even before he writes it ; Just the thought of it already triggers the detonation.

Energy Rate: 10 units/minute

Lady_Of_The_Vine
16th Sep 2010, 14:24
^
Too funny! :D

lithos
16th Sep 2010, 14:27

So much for serious science fiction.

But remember, comic books are art now.

Aceyalone7777
16th Sep 2010, 14:32
Is it just me or the most I watch content from DX:HR the more I have this feeling of certainty that Adam is gonna be the Icarus AI we knew in DX1 + 2 ???

Sabretooth1
16th Sep 2010, 14:33
I think, it is based on one of the missions in the game where you stealthily infiltrate the ship. Nobody on the ship would notice a huge rocket plunge there. You know what I mean, right?

I don't know what part of the whole section would make you think that it was about stealthy infiltrations.

Is it just me or the most I watch content from DX:HR the more I have this feeling of certainty that Adam is gonna be the Icarus AI we knew in DX1 + 2 ???

That's some rather bizarre speculation that I would actually like, but I don't see how or why this would happen. Besides, Icarus is an AI - he's artificial as in built out of silicon and code. Besides, since Icarus was based on Daedalus, who in turn, traces back to Morpheus. And wasn't Icarus created somewhere in the 50s?

xaduha
16th Sep 2010, 14:40
Rocket is huge indeed, look at containers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freight_container) on the ship.

Sabretooth1
16th Sep 2010, 14:46
Speaking of the caisson, it seems that one of the giant tower-like-things has a giant S on it.

Is that a Sarif-owned place? Is Sarif going to be main villain of the story? Is anyone surprised?

xaduha
16th Sep 2010, 14:49
Nah, more like giant 5.

InGroove2
16th Sep 2010, 14:51
Speaking of the caisson, it seems that one of the giant tower-like-things has a giant S on it.

Is that a Sarif-owned place? Is Sarif going to be main villain of the story? Is anyone surprised?

wait... so you're saying that if someone told you in 1998 that the game Deus Ex was gonna be a game about a kind of super soldier working for UNATCO, a version of a UN police force and that the game was going to be heavy in conspiracy... you wouldn't deduce that UNATCO is likely to be a villian? it's pretty classic conspiracy story telling (see: The Firm for a lame, well known example though in a different setting...). does THAT make DX suck? or lame? no. its a standard convention used to success as much as failure.

Sabretooth1
16th Sep 2010, 14:55
wait... so you're saying that if someone told you in 1998 that the game Deus Ex was gonna be a game about a kind of super soldier working for UNATCO, a version of a UN police force and that the game was going to be heavy in conspiracy... you wouldn't deduce that UNATCO is likely to be a villian? it's pretty classic conspiracy story telling (see: The Firm for a lame, well known example though in a different setting...). does THAT make DX suck? or lame? no. its a standard convention used to success as much as failure.

I don't mean it like that, and I was a naive 10 year old when I played Deus Ex the first time, so its conspiracy story was quite the rocky ride for me. :D

What I mean is that it's one thing to have a conspiracy story like that, and entirely another to make a sequel/prequel. It's obvious by the trailers that Sarif isn't exactly clean in all of this, and that nothing is as it seems, but it would be terrible if it turns out to be something as simple as Sarif being a front for the MJ12 or some such, because it's already been done before.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
16th Sep 2010, 14:56
Oooooh~

If you check out the official images thread and scroll down to 'Characters' section, you will find more information there. :)
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=113259

Aceyalone7777
16th Sep 2010, 14:57
Hmm, about Adam being Icarus...

Is there actually any info that Icarus AI was from 50's ?

Well it was the first thing that crossed my mind when I heard they were going with the Icarus myth. Too much of coincidence dont u think? Besides where does Icarus stands out in the Reissenance era? It's pure Greek mythology and the only other appearance we had was the Icarus AI. And now we get to see Adam heading to the sun. Just like the Icarus myth

Really cant tell what it will be but I am hoping it will be not included in the game for two sole reasons.
It seems kinda obvious conclusion for those who have played the game
This might mean that Adam may not reprise a lead role in the next Deus Ex (fingers crossed)

On the other hand this could be an awesome idea, because we never figured out the origin of Icarus...

Now 2 more things...
1. I might understand the scepticism for Adam on a space suit, BUT how can you judge by a screen since you have not played the game nor u know how the story ties to this end. To me it seemed AWEsome by the way...
2. Who is this Fedorova anyway? Yes I know we have a name, but have we seen her in another game? I dont think so, since I cant remember... some enlightement here plz...

Lady_Of_The_Vine
16th Sep 2010, 15:00
2. Who is this Fedorova anyway? Yes I know we have a name, but have we seen her in another game? I dont think so, since I cant remember... some enlightement here plz...

Check this thread out for more info and speculation:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=113556

Pretentious Old Man.
16th Sep 2010, 15:03
Thief Deadly Shadows, which was an improved version of the previous games, with very very great story, the same atmosphere with new features, but then "the game suxx ballzors because the arrows make trails and theres no rope arrow lolz".

What's it like down there, in your minority of one?

InGroove2
16th Sep 2010, 15:19
I don't mean it like that, and I was a naive 10 year old when I played Deus Ex the first time, so its conspiracy story was quite the rocky ride for me. :D

What I mean is that it's one thing to have a conspiracy story like that, and entirely another to make a sequel/prequel. It's obvious by the trailers that Sarif isn't exactly clean in all of this, and that nothing is as it seems, but it would be terrible if it turns out to be something as simple as Sarif being a front for the MJ12 or some such, because it's already been done before.

i spose. but if you think of the possibly alternatives.. it's hard to come up with a way to both say SOMETHING about the plot in previews and not have everyone assume that whoever the main character is working for is the bad guy.

i just think there' no way around it. and if you think of the idea that the big revelation in DX is not that you're working for the bad guys but that your Brother is working for the supposed bad guys and that your character follows his cause. That is what makes that story interesting.

so let's hope EM has a similar trick up their sleeve.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
16th Sep 2010, 15:22
It doesn't make any difference really - still a cliche, used to hell and back.
Yeah, but guess we'll have to wait and see. The only official information is that she is just a "co-worker" at Sarif Industries.

lithos
16th Sep 2010, 15:29
I hope all the co-workers aren't as ridiculously overblown as her.

Ilves
16th Sep 2010, 15:37
Managed to resist the temptation of viewing so far -and I will buckle eventually-, but the dumbstruck comments on the first page are just hilarious.

Haha, Adam on a rocket- wait, Adam on a rocket?!?! http://media.ign.com/boardfaces/17.gif

edit: Okay, my self imposed embargo lasted about 5 minutes. I was dreading to find AJ missile surfing, so thankfully that fear's been put to rest.

If the Japanese voice overs imply there's going to be a full Japanese version though, the question rises how much Square's acquisition of Eidos has actually influenced the game at large. As if mainstreaming to appeal to the broadest western market possible wasn't enough.

AlexOfSpades
16th Sep 2010, 15:41
What's it like down there, in your minority of one?

Ever heard of an ignorant majority versus an intelligent minority, old man?

Kodaemon
16th Sep 2010, 15:41
For some reason she reminds me of whatshername from Devil May Cry 4, you know, Nero's girlfriend. Straightest played damsel in distress I've seen in modern gaming.

Oh, and about Thief: Deadly Shadows - I liked it a lot, but calling it an improvement is really stretching it.

Donvermicelli
16th Sep 2010, 15:48
Still found its way into the sequel, in the form of Ophelia though.

It's just funny reading all the crybabies say that rockets have no place in the DX universe. They have always been there, in one way or another. Satalites or stations in space don't get there by themselves you know :lol:

Just like people travel to space by attaching themselves to rockets right?

And what they had planned for DX1? the Moon mission? Sounds a hell of a lot more realistic than a man attaching himself to a rocket to fly, any idea on how much force is applied to him there? even if he's a cyborg he shouldn't be able to resist that much force because if he could he'd be more durable than a tank and (near)immortal.

Kodaemon
16th Sep 2010, 15:50
Wait, where did you get the idea he's attached to the rocket?...

JCpies
16th Sep 2010, 15:51
I'm getting the idea it's MGS turns Vexille turns Iron man.

Oh and I'm pretty sure the main conspiracy in Human Revolution is about the world's governments pulling the plug of the ocean and making it fall into the center of the earth. Thus flushing out (literally) the nazis and dinosaurs living 'down' there.

Decard
16th Sep 2010, 15:53
btw. I don't know if anyone noticed, but he's not sitting on the rocket(or attached to it's external layer) He is IN the rocket.

Delever
16th Sep 2010, 15:56
I know why there are those holes! It is hollow Earth (http://www.v-j-enterprises.com/holearth.html) conspiracy!

JCpies
16th Sep 2010, 15:56
btw. I don't know if anyone noticed, but he's not sitting on the rocket(or attached to it's external layer) He is IN the rocket.

Wait what???? People sit INSIDE rockets? Oh right, I always thought the crew clung to the rocket for dear life.

The Monochrome Man
16th Sep 2010, 15:57
*Side note to the creators of the Battlestar Galactica remake: Thanks for coming up with a way to adequately express my extreme distaste for something, but which isn't technically a swear word so doesn't get picked up by language filters.

I just want to point out that this was part of the original, 1970's series.

Not put off too much, depends on how well things tie in with the story itself. Deus Ex has always been pretty ridiculous - we *nuked* Area 51, had frozen old men rattling around and sunk a supertanker with nothing but a pocketful of grenades, for petes sake. Not to mention miniaturised dinosaurs, greys, a sunken laboratory...

I seriously wonder if I played the same 'Deus Ex' you guys did. Part of the fun was the fact it was one long over-the-top cliché.

I'm more annoyed by the fact that the trailer pretty clearly pushes Fedorova as an antagonist (gunning down civvies?). Something like that should be left for the player to discover in game.

JCpies
16th Sep 2010, 15:59
I seriously wonder if I played the same 'Deus Ex' you guys did.

I seriously wonder if you're the same guy who has used that line more than a few times.

Donvermicelli
16th Sep 2010, 16:00
Wait, where did you get the idea he's attached to the rocket?... You are right, when I watched it the first time it seemed like that. There is no telling that he's actually in the rocket, but the gear he is wearing suggests it. I retract my statement about the rocket.

xaduha
16th Sep 2010, 16:01
http://imgur.com/T6Tvy.jpg
Yep, Adam is a warhead.
And it's fast (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballistic_missile) too!

JCpies
16th Sep 2010, 16:03
The original Deus Ex devs prediced 9/11. If EM are just as psycic... I can't wait to travel by ICBM, my only concern is space issues.

AlexOfSpades
16th Sep 2010, 16:03

Not put off too much, depends on how well things tie in with the story itself. Deus Ex has always been pretty ridiculous - we *nuked* Area 51, had frozen old men rattling around and sunk a supertanker with nothing but a pocketful of grenades, for petes sake. Not to mention miniaturised dinosaurs, greys, a sunken laboratory...

I seriously wonder if I played the same 'Deus Ex' you guys did. Part of the fun was the fact it was one long over-the-top cliché.

I'm more annoyed by the fact that the trailer pretty clearly pushes Fedorova as an antagonist (gunning down civvies?). Something like that should be left for the player to discover in game.

Oh Look! Look!

Someone with a brain!

Praise the Builder!

Thank you for watching the entire video instead of being stuck in the ZOMG ROCKET part.

This kinda reminds me of that old joke.

JC Denton over reacting on a bomb.
Forum over reacting over a rocket.

OMG Jc! a rocket!

A ROCKET?

II J0SePh X II
16th Sep 2010, 16:04
I wonder if the last sequence is another Greek mythology reference? There is an Acropolis like structure on top of the (caisson??). In Greek mythology the Acropolis is where Poseidon struck a rock with his Trident (AJ's missile) and a well (the caisson) sprang up in a bid to take control of Athens, but the well was salt water and so the people favoured Athena who had planted an olive tree there.

Ashpolt
16th Sep 2010, 16:07

I did not know that. I've got to admit to never having seen the original series: the impression I got from what little I know about it though was that it was a pretty family-friendly show which would have no use for expletives, made up or otherwise. Now I know! And knowing is half the battle! (One quarter being red lasers and the final quarter being blue lasers.)

And yes, of course he's inside the rocket. That's stupid enough, but him being outside of the rocket....suffice to say, I'm going to stop talking now, because I'm worried we might be giving EM ideas.

Gordon_Shea
16th Sep 2010, 16:09
I'm pretty sure there were personal rockets in Deus Ex. Even though JC's ride in one was cut, IIRC they're mentioned in the news stories about the riots on the moon.

JCpies
16th Sep 2010, 16:10
They should've based the story on the Pakistan vs India nuclear war (as mentioned in DX) instead of flooding the center of the earth. =(

WildcatPhoenix
16th Sep 2010, 16:14
Seems oddly appropriate, this trailer being in Japanese. :hmm:

AlexOfSpades
16th Sep 2010, 16:15
I lack the humour sense to post actively on this thread. I'll be back when i acquire the sense of humour augmentation.

Esnuk
16th Sep 2010, 16:15
Who knows, however, if the scene is set in North Pole or South Pole...

Gordon_Shea
16th Sep 2010, 16:18

I've had this experience a lot. A lot of people seem to have really huge gulfs between what each of them see as the appeal in Deus Ex. I mean for me a big part of it was nonlinear level design and the huge number of physics objects. I mean for me appreciating Deus Ex was never about its story or its dialogue, both of which are terrible, but about its utility as the best ******* physics game until Max Payne 2.

e: Seriously word-filter? Seriously?

WildcatPhoenix
16th Sep 2010, 16:19
I've had this experience a lot. A lot of people seem to have really huge gulfs between what each of them see as the appeal in Deus Ex. I mean for me a big part of it was nonlinear level design and the huge number of physics objects. I mean for me appreciating Deus Ex was never about its story or its dialogue, both of which are terrible, but about its utility as the best ******* physics game until Max Payne 2.

You guys are seriously overreaching. Deus Ex's storyline and dialogue was "terrible?" Give me an f-ing break. :rolleyes:

Badmaker
16th Sep 2010, 16:20
Fedorova has a half shaved head ? OMG EM.
This makes her obviously evil.

I remember seeing this haircut while walking the streets, i was spooked.

Badmaker
16th Sep 2010, 16:23
Edit

xaduha
16th Sep 2010, 16:25
You can see land behind, actually.

Ashpolt
16th Sep 2010, 16:29
I'm pretty sure there were personal rockets in Deus Ex. Even though JC's ride in one was cut, IIRC they're mentioned in the news stories about the riots on the moon.

Firstly, DX is set 25 years after DX:HR. Even if there are personal rockets in that, a) that's no guarantee there would have been 25 years previously, and b) the fact that I don't recall this at all (despite having completed the game several times) and even you're only "pretty sure" shows they weren't a large part of the game at all.

Secondly, does the fact that it was cut not tell you something?

To all those saying it's realistic - firstly, I really don't think it is, but even if we concede that, here's a list of other things which could be called realistic:

-A wise-cracking child sidekick
-Skateboards
-Gang wars carried out via the medium of spraying over opposing gangs' graffiti
-That woman in the trailer being both Adam's sister and his lover
-Dayglo pink hotpants being worn by men
-Big Brother (in the TV show sense, not the 1984 sense)
-Finding out that Adam's real quest all along was to find inner peace
-Minecart sections / slippy-slidey ice worlds
-"Pimping my ride"
-And so on and so on.

None of these are things which would fit in a Deus Ex game (though Pinky may argue for the dayglo pink hotpants.) Merely being "realistic" is not enough to qualify something as fitting. Deus Ex has a certain style about it, and infiltrating enemy bases by being fired at them in a rocket does not fit with that. Remember how Invisible War was largely criticised for being too sci-fi, and removed from the more relatable world that Deus Ex presented? Yeah.

The Monochrome Man
16th Sep 2010, 16:34
I seriously wonder if you're the same guy who has used that line more than a few times.

First time I've used it, although it's something I've said under my breath a few times since I've started reading these forums.

Guys (and Gals), Sub-orbital rockets are already making headway as a means of transport. Virgin Galactic (http://www.virgingalactic.com/) and TSC?
They're significantly faster than conventional flying for long distance flights (for example, trans-pacific). At the moment it's not affordable, but 17 years is a long time for competition and improved designs to spring up. We already know that Jensen works for a boom company, so it's not even that ridiculous that they might pay for it.

Not so much as being able to land a chopper next to a nuclear missile solo, at any rate.

AxiomaticBadger
16th Sep 2010, 16:34
"Adam, Terrorists have taken over the construction site of our new sea-bed geothermal energy plant! we have a force aproaching, but it'll take them 3 hours to get there.
Luckily, we can get you there in one. We call it the glass elevator..."

Really, it wasn't clear that adam is purely payload?

Irate_Iguana
16th Sep 2010, 16:39
Fedorova has a half shaved head ? OMG EM.
This makes her obviously evil.

I remember seeing this haircut while walking the streets, i was spooked.

And people laughed at me when I first saw the screen she was in and wanted to shoot her.

H.D.Case
16th Sep 2010, 17:03
"Adam, Terrorists have taken over the construction site of our new sea-bed geothermal energy plant! we have a force aproaching, but it'll take them 3 hours to get there.
Luckily, we can get you there in one. We call it the glass elevator..."

Really, it wasn't clear that adam is purely payload?

LMAO! I think it is pretty possible that Adam is somehow "incapacitated" by Sariff after receiving his mechanical body upgrades. If he got those parts to save his life, he must be so dependent on them in that losing the upgrades means death. It is pretty possible that this stuff is pretty expensive and that Sariff, in a way, owns Adam now, as the company owns those mechancial parts. It kind of remind me of a story from the Count Zero book - celebrities in the future have cameras installed in their eyes - pretty expensive equipment; it allows the viewer to get best quality watching experience (tv in this time means virtually getting into the body of the actor by means of special devices, simstims). And so there is this famous actress who dies in a terrorist attack. Soon after her death, her company come to the attack site to salvage the camera-augmented eyes that still belong to them.

Badmaker
16th Sep 2010, 17:04
And people laughed at me when I first saw the screen she was in and wanted to shoot her.

Lol, the screen was from a different angle. when i saw her then, i sayd: I'd bang her.

But now, seeing that half shaved head, i'd do the world a favour by killing her.
Im joking ofc, but that haircut, doesnt belong to today society.

Gordon_Shea
16th Sep 2010, 17:12
Firstly, DX is set 25 years after DX:HR. Even if there are personal rockets in that, a) that's no guarantee there would have been 25 years previously, and b) the fact that I don't recall this at all (despite having completed the game several times) and even you're only "pretty sure" shows they weren't a large part of the game at all.
Not being a large part of the game doesn't mean that they weren't part of the setting. You don't get to pick and choose what exists in the setting of Deus Ex. This really reminds me of when people were going on about how rare and novel and blah blah blah mechanical augmentations were in Deus Ex because they couldn't be bothered to read the newspaper article about augmented teens being sent to detention camps or to look closely at the models.

Secondly, does the fact that it was cut not tell you something?
It tells me that despite space travel being a huge part of its antecedents (System Shock, The Sprawl Trilogy, etc) it wasn't a good fit for the first game. That says nothing about whether or not a rocket would be a good fit for this game, since it's, y'know, a new game.

Deus Ex has a certain style about it, and infiltrating enemy bases by being fired at them in a rocket does not fit with that. Remember how Invisible War was largely criticised for being too sci-fi, and removed from the more relatable world that Deus Ex presented? Yeah.
While I agree that it'd be better if he traveled by boat helicopter, or something else less ridiculous, I'm willing to give EM the benefit of the doubt. Everything I've seen about the game so far suggests that it may actually surpass Deus Ex. The skill system and XP/$ economy sound deeper, the fact they've apparently made a point of supporting multiple-paths consistently as opposed to jettisoning the whole idea in the endgame, etc, etc.

Kodaemon
16th Sep 2010, 17:15
Wild Mass Guessing time: Fedorova is a misplaced Raider from Fallout 3. The dark skin, the punk-tribal haircut, the murderous tendencies...

WildcatPhoenix
16th Sep 2010, 17:24
I'm willing to give EM the benefit of the doubt. Everything I've seen about the game so far suggests that it may actually surpass Deus Ex.

If this is how you feel, this is how you feel.

Let's just say I....strongly disagree.

Happy
16th Sep 2010, 17:28
Wild Mass Guessing time: Fedorova is a misplaced Raider from Fallout 3. The dark skin, the punk-tribal haircut, the murderous tendencies...

nice +rep

Corpus
16th Sep 2010, 18:07
Just watched this, Federova is a definite name on my to-kill list. Am I the only one who thought the rocket was a little too over the top? Also, I absolutely love the giant plant. The architecture never fails.

MrFoxter
16th Sep 2010, 18:18
And what is that [h+]³ ??

h+ stands for transhumanism, one of main themes in Deus Ex series. Enhancement of human being with science and technology. If you are interested in this topic, I recommend h+ magazine. http://www.hplusmagazine.com/

^3 relates to DX:HR being third installment in the DX series, which is, as I said, mostly based on transhumanism. I hope I made it clear to you :)
_____

Anyway, I noticed it in the first trailer and it catched my eye again: why don't that police guys have any hand protection? Just curious, maybe they don't need it...

About this Fedorova... I suggest 'retiring' her. Psychologists won't help here.

District 9, anyone? I like these interfaces :rolleyes:
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/184/rockethud.th.png (http://img529.imageshack.us/i/rockethud.png/) http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b86/SuperDan1348/th_d9trailer2_19.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/image/district 9 projected hud/SuperDan1348/d9trailer2_19.jpg?o=1)

avenging_teabag
16th Sep 2010, 18:29
Just watched this, Federova is a definite name on my to-kill list. Am I the only one who thought the rocket was a little too over the top? Also, I absolutely love the giant plant. The architecture never fails.
I guess you didn't read the thread?

As for Fedorova, as soon as I saw her lip-licking mug on the first image, I wanted to kill her. My only concern was if the devs actually tried to design her as repellent as possible, or if they wanted to present her as relatable or, god forbid, sexy. Glad that it turned out to be the former.

The Monochrome Man
16th Sep 2010, 18:32
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/184/rockethud.th.png (http://img529.imageshack.us/i/rockethud.png/) http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b86/SuperDan1348/th_d9trailer2_19.jpg (http://media.photobucket.com/image/district 9 projected hud/SuperDan1348/d9trailer2_19.jpg?o=1)

Also seen in the landmate cockpits (Appleseed). The colour-scheme is pretty much identical to Deunan's... I'll grab a screenshot shortly.

Edit : Ok, here we go.

http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/3139/landmates.th.png (http://img709.imageshack.us/i/landmates.png/)

The top image is from E.S.W.A.Ts standard model, a 2nd generation Guges.
The bottom image is from a newer landmate seen near the end of the Ex Machina film. I don't think they ever gave us a model designation for it though.

Corpus
16th Sep 2010, 18:34
I guess you didn't read the thread?

As for Fedorova, as soon as I saw her lip-licking mug on the first image, I wanted to kill her. My only concern was if the devs actually tried to design her as repellent as possible, or if they wanted to present her as relatable or, god forbid, sexy. Glad that it turned out to be the former.

Gimme a break I just got in :(

Anyways, she's interesting I'll say that but yeah, I'm glad she's not the typical hot looking evil chick.
Actually kind of like her outfit too, the original teaser image was a little misleading.

NKD
16th Sep 2010, 18:49

Looking more closely at what Adam is wearing, I sort of get that "special forces deployment vehicle" feeling. Sort of like how we have mini-submarines today. It'll be interesting to see why he has to resort to such extreme measures to get into that place. It must be pretty well protected against sneaky approaches.

Need more info!

Irate_Iguana
16th Sep 2010, 18:51
It must be pretty well protected against sneaky approaches.

Doubtful since there is a huge container ship next to the caisson.

AlexOfSpades
16th Sep 2010, 18:57
h+ stands for transhumanism, one of main themes in Deus Ex series. Enhancement of human being with science and technology. If you are interested in this topic, I recommend h+ magazine. http://www.hplusmagazine.com/

Thank you, thank you!

Now everything makes more sense~

Dr_Bob
16th Sep 2010, 18:59
I want an MP3 of the song used in this new trailer.

Make it happen Eidos Montreal!

NKD
16th Sep 2010, 19:00
Doubtful since there is a huge container ship next to the caisson.

Good point. I wonder why he didn't just float in on that? Maybe there will be a time concern. A rocket would certainly be the fastest way from point A to point B available in this era, that I can think of. It's not like they have teleportation or anything.

Laokin
16th Sep 2010, 19:00

LAUGH OUT LOUD!!!

What? It most definitely did not. I watched that, they showed a MISSILE go up, and what appeared to be that same MISSILE landing some where else, in between they showed a clip of AJ in a space looking suit. The Missile was obviously a missile, that was just weirdly edited...... he most definitely wasn't "On it" in any capacity.

NKD
16th Sep 2010, 19:03
What? It most definitely did not. I watched that, they showed a MISSILE go up, and what appeared to be that same MISSILE landing some where else, in between they showed a clip of AJ in a space looking suit. The Missile was obviously a missile, that was just weirdly edited...... he most definitely wasn't "On it" in any capacity.

The thing that crashes into the ocean seems more like a vehicle of some kind than something with a warhead strapped to it, if you freeze frame it. It's true though, that trailers are often edited to show unrelated but similar footage next to one another. In this case though, I'm pretty sure we're seeing some kind of rapid deployment vehicle.

Esnuk
16th Sep 2010, 19:05
I want an MP3 of the song used in this new trailer.

Make it happen Eidos Montreal!

I want it too! :p

rokstrombo
16th Sep 2010, 19:07
I think the rocket is cool! Seriously :)

I always thought it was a bit implausible that Jock managed to land a helicopter 50m from enemies without being detected (even if it was a magic stealth helicopter). We don't yet know why Adam needed to go inside a rocket to get to the underwater building, but perhaps this is what it will take to avoid detection in Human Revolution's 2027? It seemed pretty clear from the trailer that it wasn't a space rocket!

Also, I didn't realize that pain vocalisations needed translating for Japanese viewers. I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever find myself crying in Japan.

Happy
16th Sep 2010, 19:10
Instead of a rocket, he should drive the wave II vehicle that was one of the three new technology winners http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/09/dyno-testing-the-automotive-x-prize-finalists/?pid=171 5 mill is a lot of dough

InGroove2
16th Sep 2010, 19:13
Good point. I wonder why he didn't just float in on that? Maybe there will be a time concern. A rocket would certainly be the fastest way from point A to point B available in this era, that I can think of. It's not like they have teleportation or anything.

i thought someone on this thread made the translation confirming that the use of the rocket transportation was a time saving device only.

Shinrei
16th Sep 2010, 19:16
Nice direction they take with the new TGS trailer....daylight and rocket man...in the Deus Ex Series... Altough I can't understand a word, the japanese version does have some good voice over!

Can't wait for the TGS trailer to be released in english. :)

Oh I forget...we want mooooaaar EM!

I don't really want to know how much money SE spends on the trailers, their budgets must be of some size!

Laokin
16th Sep 2010, 19:16
The thing that crashes into the ocean seems more like a vehicle of some kind than something with a warhead strapped to it, if you freeze frame it. It's true though, that trailers are often edited to show unrelated but similar footage next to one another. In this case though, I'm pretty sure we're seeing some kind of rapid deployment vehicle.

You only say that because there was no explosion. It could be the ending cinematic, and there might be a way to disable the warhead or something. Furthermore, the camera zooms out, and then cuts.... where the explosion should be. 2-3 second delay for dramatic effect.

What also proves it was clever editing in my mind was the shot of icarus right after that. It implies dream sequence, or that Adam actually launches into space in this game -- like JC was supposed to before it was cut.

Basically what I am saying is there is 0 information that would allow you to accurately guess that he is in that rocket. There is simply not enough information presented.

But yes, he COULD be in that rocket.... I just don't believe he is, and even if he is...... is it that ridiculous?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEuN0gH0Lv8

Real Life Jet Wings. Chew on that for a bit.

The only thing ridiculous is that everyone would know he just arrived and/or he'd be shot down on arrival being that close... which is why I'm leaning towards him NOT being in that rocket. There is probably another scene where he is in a space ship/super fast vehicle/mech like district 9, that is accelerating relative to his orientation -- and they just cut that in there.

It's more likely, and plausible -- any how.

WildcatPhoenix
16th Sep 2010, 19:17

Yeah I didn't connect the Rocketeer scene with the missle/caisson scene like some people did. I am not convinced these are chronologically related.

I have a sneaking suspicion Mr. Jensen will be moonwalking before this game is over. :hmm:

jtr7
16th Sep 2010, 19:17
And again, you have no idea why he is riding the rocket in the first place. I'm sure the story will explain exactly why this happens. It's not like you walk to the end of a Shanghai street and suddenly find a rocket to pilot you to your next destination... probably. You can buy the fact that augmentations allow this former security guard to become a supreme computer hacker, yet they don't give him the ability to pilot a rocket? How does that work?

Keep the tears rolling people. If you hate the direction the game is going so much, then stop wasting your time moaning in a forum, where the developers obviously don't give a **** about your opinion. War has changed people! :lol:

You keep making stuff up no one's saying. Is that crap going to be your major contribution to this thread--Cracking yourself up over imagined gripes and imagined logic and arguing imagined reality? Yer so funny to yourself.

I think the rocket is cool! Seriously :)

"Kewl" is the wrong reason to dumb things down.

Laokin
16th Sep 2010, 19:18
Yeah I didn't connect the Rocketeer scene with the missle/caisson scene like some people did. I am not convinced these are chronologically related.

I have a sneaking suspicion Mr. Jensen will be moonwalking before this game is over. :hmm:

Yeah, that's my initial impression as well. And really, why not? Space is cool, if it's not over done. Trailer is dope regardless.....

Irate_Iguana
16th Sep 2010, 19:23
Good point. I wonder why he didn't just float in on that? Maybe there will be a time concern.

Probably, but the BEE seems like a pretty fast thing. Crashing into the ocean after screaming through the atmosphere like a trebuchet-launched, gasoline-drenched cat while knocking down trees and rattling the ground with mach-blasted thunder would need a pretty serious reason.

Also, a rocket ship of any kind would need a pretty hefty support structure for maintenance and mission preparation. It also seems to be a strictly one-time thing given that it is gracefully crashed into the ocean instead of brought down safely. It would need to be launched from somewhere outside the city limits. Seeing as how he managed to don a special flight suit we can assume that he is granted permission to use the rocket instead of stealing it. There seems to be a lack of known organizations that could support such a devices so it is most likely property of Sarif industries or an as of yet unknown organization with a lot of influence. Given that Sarif is into biotech and not rocket science I would guess that it is an unknown organization.

It's not like they have teleportation or anything.

Teleportation makes less sense. If you had a teleport chamber and you couldn't block incoming teleports wouldn't you make sure that the chamber would be heavily protected?

AlexOfSpades
16th Sep 2010, 19:24
You keep making stuff up no one's saying. Is that crap going to be your major contribution to this thread--Cracking yourself up over imagined gripes and imagined logic and arguing imagined reality? Yer so funny to yourself.

Actually Puzl isnt making that up, JTR. Many people stated such things not only in this thread, but in others too. Unfortunately. Disgusting trolls.

Yeah, that's my initial impression as well. And really, why not? Space is cool, if it's not over done. Trailer is dope regardless.....

Agreed 100% !

Red Faction had a space moment, and it felt great.

NKD
16th Sep 2010, 19:24
You only say that because there was no explosion.

Actually it's more about the shape of the object.

http://i53.tinypic.com/aw5lrd.png

Doesn't look like a weapon to me. Looks more like the space shuttle than a missile now that I think about it.

Irate_Iguana
16th Sep 2010, 19:26
Doesn't look like a weapon to me. Looks more like the space shuttle than a missile now that I think about it.

Cruise missiles look like that.

NKD
16th Sep 2010, 19:33

Well, some do. Most are cylindrical to fit into VLS tubes.

Laokin
16th Sep 2010, 19:36

Almost exactly actually.

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/4323/agm86cruisemissile500x2.jpg (http://img413.imageshack.us/i/agm86cruisemissile500x2.jpg/)

It looks like a mini space ship, but it is indeed a missile.

So back to what I was saying about there not being enough information presented......

Juss' sayin' man... juss' sayin'...

hem dazon 90
16th Sep 2010, 19:36

Don't Quote TV tropes!

Coyotegrey
16th Sep 2010, 19:38
It's actually the sackboy I have sitting on my desk. Cross-promotion FTW!

:nut:

Yeah I've got nothing.

Ashpolt
16th Sep 2010, 19:48
For those wondering why people are assuming Adam's in the rocket: I can't speak for anyone else, but I got it from here. (http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/09/16/ride-a-rocket-in-the-new-deus-ex-human-revolution-trailer-hd/) It may be that they don't know anything more than us about it though - they certainly posit it as speculation - but once the idea's there, it's not coming out.

Either way, we see Adam in a space suit, intercut with images of Icarus-Adam flying too close to the sun and getting burned: at some point, Adam is going via some extreme method of transportation. If it's into space, then that's even bloody worse: why would he need to go into space in the course of fighting shadowy organisations? At best, he's going to destroy a satellite: that's at least vaguely plausible, but why (and, indeed, how) would he do that in person? Surely there's a better way? The other possibility is the Illuminati (or whoever) have a moonbase / other-planetary base / space station....in which case no, Eidos Montreal, you've stepped so far over the line that you can't even see the line any more. The line is just a dot to you. I will not be purchasing your game. This idea was cut from Deus Ex for a very good reason, and didn't even make it into its far more sci-fi sequel.

Another thing no-one else seems to be asking is: what does this mean for the game itself? I think we can safely assume that it's going to be present in the game in some form or another, or else why put it in the trailer? So we have to ask, how's it going to be implemented? As far as I can see, there are 3 options:

1) Non-interactive cutscene. Because yay, sitting back and watching stuff happen without any control over it is exactly what Deus Ex is about. Thanks guys. (For the dense among you: that was said with dangerously high levels of sarcasm.)

2) Interactive section, but vehicle on a set course (think MGS3's opening where you can look around to a degree, but can't control the vehicle): It looks to me like Adam is in a pretty confined space - and by that I mean, no room at all to move. Chances are you're not going to have a lot to do here, so it's going to be boring, and only slightly more interactive than a cutscene anyway.

3) Interactive, controllable vehicle: Oh, fricking great, a controllable vehicle section now (or sections - he's presumably got to get back from wherever he's going.) Not only is this a terrible idea in and of itself, but the mechanics for this will have to be built solely for this purpose, and this isn't going to be a quick thing to implement either, that's going to be a lot of dev time down the drain which could've been spent on either a) fixing the things that so many people have been complaining about, or b) (for those who are adamant that there are no problems with this game) creating additional content for the main game.

None of these are good options. So for those of you who are determined that this isn't a stupid idea, can you please come up with a way this could be implemented into the game well?

KSingh77
16th Sep 2010, 19:53
Looks like some rocket flying deep into the ocean,maybe theres some secret passage into Area ocean 51.

Gotta feel sorry for the poor sucker that falls into the big hole.

Laokin
16th Sep 2010, 19:56
For those wondering why people are assuming Adam's in the rocket: I can't speak for anyone else, but I got it from here. (http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/09/16/ride-a-rocket-in-the-new-deus-ex-human-revolution-trailer-hd/) It may be that they don't know anything more than us about it though - they certainly posit it as speculation - but once the idea's there, it's not coming out.

Either way, we see Adam in a space suit, intercut with images of Icarus-Adam flying too close to the sun and getting burned: at some point, Adam is going via some extreme method of transportation. If it's into space, then that's even bloody worse: why would he need to go into space in the course of fighting shadowy organisations? At best, he's going to destroy a satellite: that's at least vaguely plausible, but why (and, indeed, how) would he do that in person? Surely there's a better way? The other possibility is the Illuminati (or whoever) have a moonbase / other-planetary base / space station....in which case no, Eidos Montreal, you've stepped so far over the line that you can't even see the line any more. The line is just a dot to you. I will not be purchasing your game. This idea was cut from Deus Ex for a very good reason, and didn't even make it into its far more sci-fi sequel.

Another thing no-one else seems to be asking is: what does this mean for the game itself? I think we can safely assume that it's going to be present in the game in some form or another, or else why put it in the trailer? So we have to ask, how's it going to be implemented? As far as I can see, there are 3 options:

1) Non-interactive cutscene. Because yay, sitting back and watching stuff happen without any control over it is exactly what Deus Ex is about. Thanks guys. (For the dense among you: that was said with dangerously high levels of sarcasm.)

2) Interactive section, but vehicle on a set course (think MGS3's opening where you can look around to a degree, but can't control the vehicle): It looks to me like Adam is in a pretty confined space - and by that I mean, no room at all to move. Chances are you're not going to have a lot to do here, so it's going to be boring, and only slightly more interactive than a cutscene anyway.

3) Interactive, controllable vehicle: Oh, fricking great, a controllable vehicle section now (or sections - he's presumably got to get back from wherever he's going.) Not only is this a terrible idea in and of itself, but the mechanics for this will have to be built solely for this purpose, and this isn't going to be a quick thing to implement either, that's going to be a lot of dev time down the drain which could've been spent on either a) fixing the things that so many people have been complaining about, or b) (for those who are adamant that there are no problems with this game) creating additional content for the main game.

None of these are good options. So for those of you who are determined that this isn't a stupid idea, can you please come up with a way this could be implemented into the game well?

Option 1 is no different than watching you take off and land with jock in DX1. So really double u tee eff.

Option 2, is largely no different than option 1, it just provides a different camera angle.

Option 3, is impossible.

Also, I'm cool with moon base -- it was cut to ship, not because it was a bad device.... they didn't have enough time to finish it, so they felt more comfortable cutting it, rather than, ship a level that was unfinished.

AlexOfSpades
16th Sep 2010, 19:56
So for you, Ash, any method of transportation - be it cutscene, half or fully interactive - would make the entire game suck?

Esnuk
16th Sep 2010, 19:58
Looks like some rocket flying deep into the ocean,maybe theres some secret passage into Area ocean 51.

Gotta feel sorry for the poor sucker that falls into the big hole.

The victim would fall forever. :hmm:

NKD
16th Sep 2010, 19:58

It's just a cutscene bro. Kinda like Jock's Helicopter, but not rendered in-engine. There's not going to be any vehicle lameness in this game. This game is about playing as an augmented agent, not playing as a rocket ship. You couldn't fly Jock's Helicopter either.

My guess: Adam has to get from point A to point B like, right frakkin' now, for whatever reason, and that rocket thing is the fastest mode of deployment in the setting.

Stab in the dark is that it's a rocket deployed minisub that he uses to infiltrate that structure there. Sort of like the minisubs used by special forces today, except it can get to a location faster without relying on a ship that will take weeks to get there.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
16th Sep 2010, 20:00

Interesting theories there. But as you say, it's all just speculation so I'm not going to bother thinking of how they can implement these things.
No need to... I prefer to chill and sip margarita on ice. :D

jtr7
16th Sep 2010, 20:05
Actually Puzl isnt making that up, JTR. Many people stated such things not only in this thread, but in others too. Unfortunately. Disgusting trolls.

I see people calling Adam riding a rocket stupid. I don't see people calling the rocket itself stupid before Puzl goes off, and certainly not multiple people. He's the one posting hysterics.

Deus_Ex_Machina
16th Sep 2010, 20:11
That trailer made mah rofl knife go slice slice slice slice slice slice slice.

Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EisdnmxnzZ8) some moar footage of Adam on the rocket.

hem dazon 90
16th Sep 2010, 20:14
That trailer made mah rofl knife go slice slice slice slice slice slice slice.

Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EisdnmxnzZ8) some moar footage of Adam on the rocket.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/Amichandrn/Boxxy_Trollin.png

MrFoxter
16th Sep 2010, 20:22
Can somebody translate this stuff? There's probably nothing new, but... http://web.square-enix.co.jp/deusex/

TrickyVein
16th Sep 2010, 20:25
Something as hideously misconceived as putting AJ on a rocket deserves nothing but the worst kind of diatribe I can imagine. :)

Irate_Iguana
16th Sep 2010, 20:26
Can somebody translate this stuff? There's probably nothing new, but... http://web.square-enix.co.jp/deusex/

We'll probably see that translated tomorrow at the same time we get the English video. Sucks that the Japs are getting stuff before we do.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
16th Sep 2010, 20:28
Something as hideously misconceived as putting AJ on a rocket deserves nothing but the worst kind of diatribe I can imagine. :)

At least we've all deduced that he isn't on a rocket, so life can feel normal again. :D

AlexOfSpades
16th Sep 2010, 20:28
We'll probably see that translated tomorrow at the same time we get the English video. Sucks that the Japs are getting stuff before we do.

Its because of the time zone. (ok sorry i had to say that)

Now really, check the Game System tab, it has some neat screenshots.

Including one featuring the camera hack system!

Did we had that screenshot?

Ashpolt
16th Sep 2010, 20:29
Option 1 is no different than watching you take off and land with jock in DX1. So really double u tee eff.

So for you, Ash, any method of transportation - be it cutscene, half or fully interactive - would make the entire game suck?

It's just a cutscene bro. Kinda like Jock's Helicopter, but not rendered in-engine. There's not going to be any vehicle lameness in this game. This game is about playing as an augmented agent, not playing as a rocket ship. You couldn't fly Jock's Helicopter either.

Jock's helicopter was just travel from one place to another. This is big enough to be in the trailer, and particularly to be spliced in with footage of Adam / Icarus flying. This is an event, and it's not going to be as simple as taking off and landing. Otherwise - why put it in the trailer? And more specifically, why make a large part of the focus of the new material in this trailer?

On the off chance that it really is just a transportation cutscene, a la Jock's helicopter....why go to the extremes of going via rocket? Why not just use a normal method of transport? Yes, sure, EM may have come up with a reason that helicopter can't go in blah blah blah - but by the same token, EM could just as easily write in "Adam goes there via helicopter."

So either it's an "event," in which case we're back to what I described above, or this is gratuitous and done for "rule of cool." Either way, no thanks.

And with relation the above quotes, but separately:

@AlexOfSpades: No, but non-interactivity would make the game suck. You've played Deus Ex, right? Know how it keeps the player in control almost all the time, and doesn't have non-interactive cutscenes beyond the intro and ending? On the other hand, playable vehicle sections would also suck. So this is why I say this can either be terrible or gratuitous and terrible.

@NKD: You certain it won't be in-game? I'd say the concept of multi-kill augs, third person cover and instant kill takedowns are ridiculous in the context of a Deus Ex game too, but here we are. I'm not saying I think these will be playable sections - most likely you're right, and they won't - but given what we know of the game so far, I seriously wouldn't rule anything out until we get solid confirmation.

Also, it probably won't be pre-rendered (thank God for small mercies) - EM have already confirmed that all cutscenes in-game will be in-engine. On the other hand, they've gone back on stuff they've already confirmed beforehand, and they've no doubt noticed how easily people are impressed by shiny cutscenes, so again - I won't rule anything out.

TrickyVein
16th Sep 2010, 20:29
Not from my viewpoint - that editing only had one purpose, and that was to show AJ on a rocket.

If that's truly the case, that AJ isn't on that thing, then that's some pretty crappy editing.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
16th Sep 2010, 20:30
Now really, check the Game System tab, it has some neat screenshots.
Including one featuring the camera hack system!
Did we had that screenshot?

Yeah, check the official image thread:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=113259

If that's truly the case, that AJ isn't on that thing, then that's some pretty crappy editing.

It's just a conspiracy... relax.

H.D.Case
16th Sep 2010, 20:31

The Tessier-Ashpool family I wrote you about built some sort of space station for its empire :D That way they could not be controlled. But they supposedly spent most of their big fortune for that and they were stinking rich.

nexusdx
16th Sep 2010, 20:31

I don't think so. This website is online since June.

TrickyVein
16th Sep 2010, 20:32
I'm relaxed, it's cool. :cool:

It's also not often that one is faced with such a potential gold-mine of well-deserved ridicule.

hem dazon 90
16th Sep 2010, 20:33
"rule of cool."

You quote TV Tropes so you lose

AlexOfSpades
16th Sep 2010, 20:33
@Ash, dont be so harsh, bro.

I mean. Open your mind a little.

Before the first Deus Ex, people frowned at FPs/RPG.

We may be judging too quickly.

@MyImmortal Oh sorry i'm an idiot~

Thanks 8D

Ilves
16th Sep 2010, 20:35
From here:

http://web.square-enix.co.jp/deusex/

Now if someone can confirm if it's indeed Jouji Nakata voicing Adam [...]

Seems to be Hiroki Yasumoto, not that I know the good man.

It's also not often that one is faced with such a potential gold-mine of well-deserved ridicule.

Watch it again, and then once again. It grows on you. But I'm not sure it should. :/

KSingh77
16th Sep 2010, 20:35
The victim would fall forever. :hmm:

Or end up on the other side of the world.

Possibly the bathroom in the Hive.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
16th Sep 2010, 20:36
Absolutely, and some really like to embrace these moments. Quite harmless, and lots of fun for some.

TrickyVein
16th Sep 2010, 20:38
...but not for others. :( I understand.

I apologize to anyone who really, really, likes rockets.

Esnuk
16th Sep 2010, 20:40
Or end up on the other side of the world.

Possibly the bathroom in the Hive.

L.O.L. in China! LOL

Lady_Of_The_Vine
16th Sep 2010, 20:40
I apologize to anyone who really, really, likes rockets.
Rockets rock! Guy Fawkes Night will be soon! :cool:

TrickyVein
16th Sep 2010, 20:42
Don't get me wrong - fireworks, love and rockets, space exploration - rockets are awesome.

Coyotegrey
16th Sep 2010, 20:44
HEY!

From David Anfossi:

These are the future in earth travel, but limited to billionaires and corporations because they are so expensive to operate. They enable people to cut down travel time between one city and another by launching into low earth orbit and dropping back down in sync with the earth's rotation. Thus, one can hop from American to China in about half the time it would take to travel by conventional airplanes."

Coyotegrey
16th Sep 2010, 20:44
HEY!

From David Anfossi:

Lady_Of_The_Vine
16th Sep 2010, 20:45
Don't get me wrong - fireworks, love and rockets, space exploration - rockets are awesome.

You have redeemed yourself.

HEY!

From David Anfossi:

Thank you for this info.
And I want one of those!! :D

Dr_Bob
16th Sep 2010, 20:51
HEY!

From David Anfossi:

Maybe that will hush the whiners.

hem dazon 90
16th Sep 2010, 20:54

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd350/DJ_Novakain/HA_HA_HA_OH_WOW.jpg

H.D.Case
16th Sep 2010, 20:55
HEY!

From David Anfossi:

This new community manager does some pretty nice job, doesn't he? ;) Thanks for the info. I just wonder if they want to create this confusion on purpose by editing those trailers in a specific way or it just...happens ;)

Esnuk
16th Sep 2010, 20:56

I knew it was a shuttle! :D

Dr_Bob
16th Sep 2010, 20:57
I knew it was a shuttle! :D

So did I.

I have no idea why people thought Adam was riding a rocket.

And the conclusion from that was that the game sucked.

Heh.

Esnuk
16th Sep 2010, 20:58
HEY!

From David Anfossi:

I knew it was a shuttle! :)

Dead-Eye
16th Sep 2010, 20:59

You know it's not like there isn't an entire franchise that's almost Deus Ex in space and that Deus Ex is in fact considered the spiritual successor to said franchise. Nor did said franchise lead to a spiritual successor that contributed to the green light of Deus Ex 3.

Although I will admit Adam ridding a rocket looked kinda corny.

I just hope that someday they will bring JC and Paul back.

Rindill the Red
16th Sep 2010, 21:00
Let's go for a ride. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcW_Ygs6hm0)

If AJ's riding a rocket, I'm sure there's some really good reason for it... he probably found them and needs to get there really quickly to save Scientist Peach.

You see, they took Scientist Peach and threw her down a never-ending hole, so he needs to rocket down the hole... let's all rocket down the hole.

http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/wile%20e%20coyote%20rocket.jpg

TrickyVein
16th Sep 2010, 21:02
You know it's not like there isn't an entire franchise that's almost Deus Ex in space and that Deus Ex is in fact considered the spiritual successor to said franchise. Nor did said franchise lead to a spiritual successor that contributed to the green light of Deus Ex 3.

Although I will admit Adam ridding a rocket looked kinda corny.

Two wrongs don't make a right, buddy. Even still -

But System Shock falls within the genre where you'd expect to find such tech. And rockets are one thing - having people ride them is quite another.

The Monochrome Man
16th Sep 2010, 21:04
HEY!

..."

So in other words, I was right all the way back on page 5 (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showpost.php?p=1494586&postcount=125). I'm good. :)

WildcatPhoenix
16th Sep 2010, 21:08
HEY!

Sounds like EM is going for a more logical method of cross-planet transportation than the Magical Supersonic Helicopter used by Jock. Makes enough sense for even my highly skeptical taste.

Thanks Coyotegrey! Many props for the rapid response.

Bushmonster
16th Sep 2010, 21:16
isnt flying a rocket into the sea just as bizarre as merging with a computer, putting the world into a dark age, and helping out the illuminati

Coyotegrey
16th Sep 2010, 21:16
Sounds like EM is going for a more logical method of cross-planet transportation than the Magical Supersonic Helicopter used by Jock. Makes enough sense for even my highly skeptical taste.

Thanks Coyotegrey! Many props for the rapid response.

Thank you. I aim to please.

Ashpolt
16th Sep 2010, 21:28
HEY!

From David Anfossi:

So it's feasible. Woo. Quoted from page 5:

Here's a list of other things which could be called realistic:

-A wise-cracking child sidekick
-Skateboards
-Gang wars carried out via the medium of spraying over opposing gangs' graffiti
-That woman in the trailer being both Adam's sister and his lover
-Dayglo pink hotpants being worn by men
-Big Brother (in the TV show sense, not the 1984 sense)
-Finding out that Adam's real quest all along was to find inner peace
-Minecart sections / slippy-slidey ice worlds
-"Pimping my ride"
-And so on and so on.

None of these are things which would fit in a Deus Ex game (though Pinky may argue for the dayglo pink hotpants.) Merely being "realistic" is not enough to qualify something as fitting. Deus Ex has a certain style about it, and infiltrating enemy bases by being fired at them in a rocket does not fit with that. Remember how Invisible War was largely criticised for being too sci-fi, and removed from the more relatable world that Deus Ex presented? Yeah.

That said, it's really nice to have a CM who sees what's going on and at least makes the effort to get us an answer. It's a shame you weren't here 2 years ago!

Also, at least this (probably) confirms Adam won't go into space. That's a relief.

You quote TV Tropes so you lose

I'm pretty sure the phrase "rule of cool" exists independently of TV Tropes. It's certainly not where I got it from.

MrFoxter
16th Sep 2010, 21:29
I still wonder where is this giant hole located. I just played a little bit with the ending of trailer, it seemed like ground & sea to me. Sunlight is coming from the top side, little to left, so it should be on south hemisphere (or north one, but then it's upside down). Or it might be just spilled paint. Who knows. It would be very hard to find, because it is very small area. I'm just giving this here in case anyone's interested:

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/6250/hole2.th.png (http://img832.imageshack.us/i/hole2.png/) http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/7036/holef.th.png (http://img838.imageshack.us/i/holef.png/)

EDIT: Sorry, these black areas are just underwater shelves. Thanks to The Monochrome Man for figuring that out.

Coyotegrey
16th Sep 2010, 21:32
So it's feasible. Woo. Quoted from page 5:

That said, it's really nice to have a CM who sees what's going on and at least makes the effort to get us an answer. It's a shame you weren't here 2 years ago!

Also, at least this (probably) confirms Adam won't go into space. That's a relief.

I'm pretty sure the phrase "rule of cool" exists independently of TV Tropes. It's certainly not where I got it from.

Thank you for the kind words.

In all fairness, the old CM was doing the work of (now) two people.

WildcatPhoenix
16th Sep 2010, 21:36
It's feasible enough for me, just like the mass driver technology hinted at in some of the newspapers from the original game.

I don't ask my games to be full of airtight, solid-as-a-rock science. A lot of the stuff in Deus (Universal Constructor, anyone??) is pretty "out there" in terms of plausibility. So this LEO shuttle, to me, is satisfactorily realistic and therefore doesn't spoil my opinion of the game...as long as Adam doesn't use this vehicle over and over again.

Feels like it may only be used for the mission in the trailer, in which case I have no problem with it. As Ashpolt said, at least this makes it less likely Adam will be venturing off into space (well, beyond the lower atmosphere, at least).

Lady_Of_The_Vine
16th Sep 2010, 21:37
In all fairness, the old CM was doing the work of (now) two people.

Yeah, Rene always did the best he could. He was sound. :cool:

Dead-Eye
16th Sep 2010, 21:38
So seeing as the hole in the ocean isn't a rocket platform what else could it be? Is it an entrance to a vast underground/undersea laboratory network? Like they said exist in UFO hunters? One where MJ12 is doing it's research on augmentation technology by using human clones as lab rats?

Spyhopping
16th Sep 2010, 21:39
Ah, I've had a day to get used to it, was a little dumbstruck initially. Guess it's the same way I'd feel if I saw him piloting his own spy plane. Thanks for the informative feedback Kyle.

Time to watch it again and actually take it in this time! Looking forward to the English version tomorrow, though I'm kind of digging it in Japanese.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
16th Sep 2010, 21:43
I hope all the co-workers aren't as ridiculously overblown as her.
In what way is she this? Do you mean because she is distressed and shouting for Adam?
I actually find that scene quite emotional; as it should be if you want to 'feel' this game, and not just play it.

WildcatPhoenix
16th Sep 2010, 21:45
On a different note, at first it seemed clear that Fedorova was gunning down civilians. On third glance, it appears some of these people are armed. Could it be she's not committing a genocidal massacre, but rather pulling her best Anna Navarre impression on a paramilitary group (like Purity First)?

Lady_Of_The_Vine
16th Sep 2010, 21:47
On a different note, at first it seemed clear that Fedorova was gunning down civilians. On third glance, it appears some of these people are armed. Could it be she's not committing a genocidal massacre, but rather pulling her best Anna Navarre impression on a paramilitary group (like the Purity First group)?
Yeah, there is nothing to confirm that she's one of the bad guys. Although that would depend on whose side you're on, so...

WildcatPhoenix
16th Sep 2010, 21:52
Yeah, there is nothing to confirm that she's one of the bad guys. Although that would depend on whose side you're on, so...

She most likely is one of the "bad guys," but hopefully it's not made so painfully clear to the player. A corporate security person fighting off a mob of armed attackers is less clearly evil than a bloodthirsty maniac wiping out unarmed civilians.

Using Anna Navarre as an example, we never really see her kill anyone other than the NSF. Sure, she seems to take waaaaaay too much pleasure in bloodshed, but there's still a lot of moral gray area surrounding her motivations. That's what I'm hoping for with this Fedorova character.

Lord knows, Barrett looks about as cut-and-dry "evil" as it comes. Hope the game isn't cluttered with these kinds of characters. :hmm:

The Monochrome Man
16th Sep 2010, 21:54
http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/6250/hole2.th.png (http://img832.imageshack.us/i/hole2.png/) http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/7036/holef.th.png (http://img838.imageshack.us/i/holef.png/)

If the lightings right, the Solomon or Coral seas would be good places to check. Lots of small islands in a fairly tight area. That double bar on the southern(?) island is pretty distinctive. Doing a quick sweep at the moment but I don't see anything similar to that. I'll keep an eye out though.

Edit : Just realised that's not a land mass but a sea current. The only land mass visible is a small chain of islands to the north, but they're not much more than dots. Given the scale defined by the container ship they're only a few hundred yards wide - that's looking for a grain of sand on the beach.

MrFoxter
16th Sep 2010, 21:58
If the lightings right, the Solomon or Coral seas would be good places to check. Lots of small islands in a fairly tight area. That double bar on the southern(?) island is pretty distinctive. Doing a quick sweep at the moment but I don't see anything similar to that. I'll keep an eye out though.

Please, take it only approximately. I would better go for that rectangle shaped gulf on the right.

Spyhopping
16th Sep 2010, 22:09
I want to see an ally that cries out evil. Every step you think he's going to turn on you but in fact stays loyal to the end.

Those characters could be quite complex, right now we only have their appearance to go on. Oh well alright, Barrett is about as crude as they come, but give him a chance!

I actually find that scene quite emotional; as it should be if you want to 'feel' this game, and not just play it.

Yeah, it's a good scene- when I used to play it I'd even find myself "feeling" games like Halo rather than just playing them. (on a side note, I withdraw my previous criticisms of the Halo novels, I put my hand on "fall of reach" the other day for something to read on a journey, and really enjoyed it. I guess it's your state of mind that makes the difference. I didn't click with Neuromancer at first. I found it awkwardly written, edging on pretentious at times, but now it's one of my favourite books.)

Like a lot of us here I can't help but hope that it's his sister or good friend rather than the overused "girlfriend in distress" card. But if character development is good enough, and with the voice acting as good as it is it'll probably be just as moving either way.

Irate_Iguana
16th Sep 2010, 22:20
So it's feasible. Woo.

Indeed. The problem isn't the rocket in itself. The problem is the fact that the game appears to be full of epic Michael Bay moments. The rocket is just another confirmation of that. Adding a nice amount of backstory and technobabble to make the rocket believable doesn't change the fact that HR will have a large amount of epicness for the casual gamer.

The Monochrome Man
16th Sep 2010, 22:23
That'll teach me to edit before refreshing. :)

Sorry fox, looks like we missed each other. The areas you highlighted are underwater shelves or currents, so don't really help locate it. Here's one with the islands marked.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/9825/shot0004f.png (http://img291.imageshack.us/i/shot0004f.png/)

This is why I said they're probably too small to find, assuming they're geographically correct in the first place. That one in the bottom right is only as long as the container ship near the construct - which would make it approximately 300 metres. Container shippers tend to be built smaller than that as they have to fit through the Panama canal.

Spyhopping
16th Sep 2010, 22:36
Indeed. The problem isn't the rocket in itself. The problem is the fact that the game appears to be full of epic Michael Bay moments. The rocket is just another confirmation of that. Adding a nice amount of backstory and technobabble to make the rocket believable doesn't change the fact that HR will have a large amount of epicness for the casual gamer.

If I were to complain about Adam's flying tendencies (rockets, energy balls, wings :P), it wouldn't be a dig at EM for trying to make the game appeal to "casual gamers". I try to keep away from the "elitist" mindset... even if I am actually a gigantic DX elitist. What got me was that it felt out of character. DX sits with me as being low key, sneaking around alleys catacombs and sewers, arriving on a black stealth helicopter, always under the radar.

It's not a big deal. Trying to keep open minded, it'll all make more sense and hopefully work well in context.

Coyotegrey
16th Sep 2010, 22:39
If I were to complain about Adam's flying tendencies (rockets, energy balls, wings :P), it wouldn't be a dig at EM for trying to make the game appeal to "casual gamers". I try to keep away from the "elitist" mindset... even if I am actually a gigantic DX elitist. What got me was that it felt out of character. DX sits with me as being low key, sneaking around alleys catacombs and sewers, arriving on a black stealth helicopter, always under the radar.

It's not a big deal. Trying to keep open minded, it'll all make more sense and hopefully work well in context.

There was nothing under the radar about Gunther and the way he likes to handle things!

http://www.battlereports.com/users/Feanor/DXPart1/1%20hermann.jpg

jtr7
16th Sep 2010, 22:46
A-HA! So will not be playing a character that reflects a JC Denton, but a Gunther! That's a fundamental shift.

NKD
16th Sep 2010, 22:47

Well, I imagine that the pre-rendered stuff tends toward the big Michael Bay moments because you can't do those in-engine very convincingly.

I'm happy that they are keeping the more subtle stuff in-engine where it belongs. I can't think of any reason anyone would want to have that stuff moved out to cutscenes.

A-HA! So will not be playing a character that reflects a JC Denton, but a Gunther! That's a fundamental shift.

Gunther doesn't have a stylish black coat like Adam. He was probably waiting for his Skul-Gun to come in before he requisitioned one.

Irate_Iguana
16th Sep 2010, 22:47
it wouldn't be a dig at EM for trying to make the game appeal to "casual gamers".

It's not a dig. I can't even fault them for that marketing strategy. If you were to aim at "bringing in a wider audience", as they have said on numerous occasions, it would be very smart indeed to include scenes like that. How many games in recent memory have had trips in rocket ships? It just shows that they are marketing (and possibly even making) the game for a completely different audience than what they are touting on one hand. They want the "wider audience" and they want it more than the old gray golems who'd be more interested in seeing some actual gameplay.

There was nothing under the radar about Gunther and the way he likes to handle things!

You did not just compare shooting terrorists with piloting a suborbital rocket ship. Coyotegrey, I am disappoint.

Coyotegrey
16th Sep 2010, 22:48
You did not just compare shooting terrorists with piloting a suborbital rocket ship. Coyotegrey, I am disappoint.

haha well not directly. I guarantee my serious hat was not on. I don't even think it was in the same building (usually never is). :)

Spyhopping
16th Sep 2010, 22:52
I do hope Adam doesn't take after Gunther! I'm warming to it anyway- I love the two tiered city concept, and that's about at low key as Gunther's biceps.

My serious hat is somewhere in Scotland right now. Blew off in a gale and landed on a Glaswegian.

Irate_Iguana
16th Sep 2010, 22:56
that's about at low key as Gunther's biceps.

His biceps aren't the problem. Gunther has an enormous set of trapezius muscles. Really horrific.

El_Bel
16th Sep 2010, 22:56
Coyotegrey, can you tell us if Adam will pilot a rocket? If he is, dont you think that it is a little over the line?

Hammich
16th Sep 2010, 22:57
I don't mind rockets, but I am worried about the high-drama nature of the trailers. I hope the plotline isn't also high-drama >.>

Btw, I'm not getting why people are complaining about the display of Fedorova's evil nature. There was never much ambiguity about Walton Simons' true nature, the shoot-first ask questions later attitude of the UNATCO officers, Anna Navarre's desire for a violent solution and Manderley's inclination to support such action.etc

Spyhopping
16th Sep 2010, 22:59
Simons was a terrific baddie. His bored, whispery voice made me fear him just as much as I respected him.

His biceps aren't the problem. Gunther has an enormous set of trapezius muscles. Really horrific.

You haven't seen his glutes.

Hammich
16th Sep 2010, 23:01
Gunther doesn't have a stylish black coat like Adam. He was probably waiting for his Skul-Gun to come in before he requisitioned one.

On that note, about being able to choose and buy further augmentations (I believe this was stated in an interview), I wonder if you can get a skul-gun? :P

After Halo's "man-cannon" I wouldn't put anything past large game development teams.

MrFoxter
16th Sep 2010, 23:03
That'll teach me to edit before refreshing. :)

Sorry fox, looks like we missed each other. The areas you highlighted are underwater shelves or currents, so don't really help locate it. Here's one with the islands marked.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/9825/shot0004f.png (http://img291.imageshack.us/i/shot0004f.png/)

This is why I said they're probably too small to find, assuming they're geographically correct in the first place. That one in the bottom right is only as long as the container ship near the construct - which would make it approximately 300 metres. Container shippers tend to be built smaller than that as they have to fit through the Panama canal.

Oh, now it makes perfect sense to me! I noticed small islands in the trailer, but I thought they are hidden behind those flashing lines. I also noticed something, that looked like citylights in night, but I didn't understand, because it was day. Finally, these lights became our lost islands! Great thinking.

BTW on Google Maps are some underwater shelves, so maybe we will have luck... but that would be really insane :rolleyes:

Pinky_Powers
16th Sep 2010, 23:14
Jesus god! I missed quite the fiasco here!

Thanks CoyoteGrey for your excellent work on getting the LEO info! :thumb:

Now, onto the real business... I can't be the only person who wants to explore the space stations mentioned in Deus Ex cannon? What's the matter with you people? A mission that would take you to space would be very, very awesome. And not awesome as in Austen Powers, but awesome as in The Ocean Labs... only better!

Get over yourselves! There's a lot of great Deus Ex concepts that we haven't seen in-game yet, and they're not stupid! I look forward to new things.

Coyotegrey
16th Sep 2010, 23:16
Coyotegrey, can you tell us if Adam will pilot a rocket? If he is, dont you think that it is a little over the line?

I'll ask, but everyone's gone for the day here. Don't expect an answer until at LEAST the morning. :)

Personally, I think it all depends on many factors such as how it's used in the context of the story, execution, etc. I'm not a fan of completely debunking actions such as this in media after only seeing and/or knowing about a small snippet. This could be due to my experience previewing games, or being proven wrong in the past when I've made accusations.

But to each their own. Say what you will. Don't let my opinions censor you.

pringlepower
16th Sep 2010, 23:20
I'll ask, but everyone's gone for the day here. Don't expect an answer until at LEAST the morning. :)

Personally, I think it all depends on many factors such as how it's used in the context of the story, execution, etc. I'm not a fan of completely debunking actions such as this in media after only seeing and/or knowing about a small snippet. This could be due to my experience previewing games, or being proven wrong in the past when I've made accusations.

But to each their own. Say what you will. Don't let my opinions censor you.

Low-orbit rocket based on developing technology vs supersonic helicopter. I'm going with DXHR here.

El_Bel
16th Sep 2010, 23:25
I agree that it may make sense in the game (if he is in the rocket). Maybe the rocket is on autopilot and Adam just has to get out when a blipping light tells him to (or something). But dont you agree that if Adam is indeed piloting a rocket that it does not make any sense? I mean he is a security specialist, not a expert on everything!

I havent found anything about LOR aircraft.Maybe its developing only in Anfosi's imagination.

Spyhopping
16th Sep 2010, 23:34
There's little point thinking too hard on it till we see it in the game, it'll be justified one way or another. Maybe he was aiming for the hole? :P

Just watched it properly again since early today, now I'm just looking forward to the English voice-overs. Enjoyed the remix of the original theme.

The Monochrome Man
16th Sep 2010, 23:39
Btw, I'm not getting why people are complaining about the display of Fedorova's evil nature. There was never much ambiguity about Walton Simons' true nature, the shoot-first ask questions later attitude of the UNATCO officers, Anna Navarre's desire for a violent solution and Manderley's inclination to support such action.etc

Waltons was clear as he was in the introduction sequence, as was Bobs.

Joseph, Anna, Gunther, and the Troopers are a different kettle of fish however. When a soldier goes through basic training, a large part of that training is to make them more aggressive - to demonise their enemies or think of them as sub-human. If they don't train soldiers this way, they're more likely to hesitate in the field and that would result in higher casualties. A Soldier is trained to kill, not to police, and UNATCO is very much a military force (despite calling itself a police force).
If you've ever seen leaked footage from a warzone, you'll often hear soldiers making banter that shows exactly the same tendencies. Note that official footage normally goes through military censors - propaganda has always been linked to armies for good reason.

With that in mind, their behaviour was pretty much spot on. It doesn't matter that the troopers, for instance, thought they were on the right side. They're still required to do a very dangerous job and still have to have that attitude to be able to do it, and stay alive. As a former soldier himself (IIRC he saw action in Paris?), Joseph would have still had that attitude. Anna and Gunther had both seen a lot of action as well.

Most of the UNATCO troopers are just regular guys doing (what they think is) the right thing - Alex is a good example of this. If the Troopers were in on MJ12, he, Sam or Jamie would have known about it from banter and so on. If you recall, Walton started turfing out troopers after JCs escape, filtering out those that he couldn't be sure would follow orders as when seized control, presumably for this reason.

We know Joseph was 'in' on Majestic 12, but only after the Holo-message from Walton is found IIRC. As violent as she is, I don't think we ever found out if Anna knew exactly what was going on or not. As for Gunther, his emails would suggest he's not really aware of MJ12 or that conspiracy before the escape.

The only problem I had with Fedorova was her being shown in that manner so early - without knowing how she's framed in the context of the game, it ruins any surprise or emotional impact you'd have building up to her. She just becomes 'that crazy chick from the trailer'.

Pinky_Powers
16th Sep 2010, 23:47
I havent found anything about LOR aircraft.Maybe its developing only in Anfosi's imagination.

It's LEO Shuttles, not LOR. Low Earth Orbit.

Tecman
16th Sep 2010, 23:57
I won't post about what I think about the trailer, just two bits of info before the English release of the trailer. I asked a friend who does translation from and into Japanese. According to him, the trailer is pretty much identical speech-wise except for these bits:

1) David Sarif speaking, he also says "I'm very sorry about 'her'" this time.
2) Barrett doesn't say "I'll take you to Hell!", he says "Well, well, the boy's come out to play!"
3) At the end with the woman talking (rephrased because a crucial verb is hard to hear, but we've heard this before so it's a strong guess) - It's not the end of the world ...but you should be able to see it with your own eyes.

We should know more soon anyways. :)

edit: Also, it seems Rene is still credited as the CM in these. :)

Fluffis
17th Sep 2010, 00:09
I'm slightly disturbed by, and slightly in awe of, how cool it all sounds in Japanese. How right, considering the cinematic, it seems.

Honestly, by the end there, I was half-expecting someone to yell "Kaneda!"

WildcatPhoenix
17th Sep 2010, 00:12
Cyberpunk has always had strong ties to Japan. For all its flaws, I loved RedSun2020 (and my own "Man in Black" mod features a trip to Tokyo as well). Just fits with most of the main themes.

I do hope and pray though that we don't stray into anime territory. Not trying to start a flame war, and I love me some Akira and Ghost In the Shell, but Deus Ex is NOT Final Fantasy.

Pinky_Powers
17th Sep 2010, 00:17
I do hope and pray though that we don't stray into anime territory. Not trying to start a flame war, and I love me some Akira and Ghost In the Shell, but Deus Ex is NOT Final Fantasy.

True. We've strayed close enough to that with the Arm Blades.

Farouk
17th Sep 2010, 00:18
I downloaded the trailer in 1080HD from Youtube and watched it in VLC in slo-mo. Some points which might be interesting:

On Fedorova:
All of those you are actually seeing being killed by her are armed. None of the fleeing unarmed guys seem to be targeted by her. That's what the trailer clearly shows in HD and slow motion.
That doesn't necessarily means that the trailer shows the whole truth. But so far the evidence points to acceptable use of force by her.

On the hole in the ocean building:
There are actually lots of ice floes surrounding that building. You can see one early in front of the freighter and later a whole lot in the background. So it's in a cold region.

The Monochrome Man
17th Sep 2010, 00:31
True. We've strayed close enough to that with the Arm Blades.

That's not really an anime convention though - it started cropping up after Robocop (remember the fist spike?) and features like that get used in western films and comics as well.

If we see people starting to use bizarre majicks from out of nowhere or children dancing around with anti tank rifles, then we need to worry about anime. :)