PDA

View Full Version : What has you excited about DXHR?

NKD
16th Sep 2010, 10:45
We know a lot of people are skeptical or worse, have already decided they hate the game. This thread is not for them. So please keep your responses on topic. This thread is about what has you excited and what you like and want to see more of. There are hundreds of other threads for complaints and nitpicking. Off-topic or trolling responses will be flagged for moderation and deleted.

Let's keep this thread a positive experience instead of a frustrating combative waste of time!

So for those of you who think "Early 2011 can't come soon enough!" what is it that has you excited for DXHR?

To get things started I have to say that for me it's about the conspiracies, the sense that there is a vast machine operating just out of sight, manipulating events. Storytelling has come a long way in gaming. There is more focus on pulling someone into a world. Visuals, sounds, the writing itself, it has all become far more polished in the last 5 or 6 years. I'm really getting the feeling that DXHR is not going to disappoint in that respect.

Kodaemon
16th Sep 2010, 11:06
You know, starting a "positive" thread with complaints, accusations, negativity and threats toward those who think differently is not a good idea.

Anyway, I'm excited since I long for the Deus Ex model of gameplay - a directed storyline experience that leaves freedom to the player in how they execute their tasks gameplay-wise.

NKD
16th Sep 2010, 11:15
Anyway, I'm excited since I long for the Deus Ex model of gameplay - a directed storyline experience that leaves freedom to the player in how they execute their tasks gameplay-wise.

That's really a rarity anymore. You can often get one or the other, but not both. You get these sort of free-ranging sandbox games, but the story is just a few token blurbs and the bulk of your gameplay is entirely outside of the framework of the story. Then you have the games like Mafia II in which all the gameplay is within the confines of a linear story which gives you only one gameplay option: Shoot 'em dead.

If gameplay is great, a weak story can be ignored. If the story is fantastic, it can make up a linear approach with less freedom. But I think we can hope for more. You can have a directed story-rich experience while still allowing people to run off the "kill 'em all" rails.

I'm really confident that Eidos can pull off both in DXHR.

FrankCSIS
16th Sep 2010, 11:23
You get these sort of free-ranging sandbox games, but the story is just a few token blurbs and the bulk of your gameplay is entirely outside of the framework of the story.

That's why I'm glad they didn't fall for the lure of sandbox. It could've been so easy to do so, so marketable, too, and such a damn waste of story it would've been. One recent interview mentions the linearity within the order in which the levels occur, coupled with the open-ended possibilities of gameplay, and this bit tells me they understood that much about DX, and game story-telling in general.

DXeXodus
16th Sep 2010, 11:28
Well I am excited about the following things which I am fairly sure will be quite solid and enjoyable aspects of the game:

- The general atmosphere of the game. This includes the stylised visuals and the music. I love what I have seen and heard so far in the trailers and footage.
- The storyline. I guess I am intrigued to see how they do it and how it relates to DX1. But i am confident that it will be a fairly deep plot.
- The stealth. I know a lot of people are upset that there is no shadow based stealth like they had in DX1. But quite frankly, unless a room is pitch dark, it is easy to see a person in a shadow. So I welcome the line of sight stealth system they have implemented.
- Learning more about Adam and experiencing the game world through his eyes (not too excited about seeing the world from a camera behind his back but lets not go there.
- Just getting that feeling I got the first time I played through Deus Ex. I don't know if this will happen but I hold out hope that there will be some nostalgia involved while playing.

Well... I think that's about it for now. Will post more if I think of anything else.

avenging_teabag
16th Sep 2010, 12:06
That's why I'm glad they didn't fall for the lure of sandbox. It could've been so easy to do so, so marketable, too, and such a damn waste of story it would've been. One recent interview mentions the linearity within the order in which the levels occur, coupled with the open-ended possibilities of gameplay, and this bit tells me they understood that much about DX, and game story-telling in general.
Agreed several times over. For me, pretty much every sandbox game was a tedious aimless drag. As for what I'm looking forward to:

- the world. Vast, hugely interactive, complex world. Lots of people to meet, lots of stories to tell, lots f nooks and crannies to explore.
- thinking myself on the fly out of a tight spot. Make it happen.
- Adam - i think they've really hit the nail on the head with the lead for DXHR. I can't wait to become him.
- NPCs - I'm dying to know more about almost everyone of them - Faridah, Sarif, Tong, the screaming woman from the trailer. I hate Fedorova already.
- weapons and gadgets look absolutely amazing in concept art. I want to use them and mod them.
- the story - they were very tight-lipped about story details so far - i like that, but I want to know more!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
16th Sep 2010, 12:28
Well I am excited about the following things which I am fairly sure will be quite solid and enjoyable aspects of the game:

- The general atmosphere of the game. This includes the stylised visuals and the music. I love what I have seen and heard so far in the trailers and footage.
- The storyline. I guess I am intrigued to see how they do it and how it relates to DX1. But i am confident that it will be a fairly deep plot.
- The stealth. I know a lot of people are upset that there is no shadow based stealth like they had in DX1. But quite frankly, unless a room is pitch dark, it is easy to see a person in a shadow. So I welcome the line of sight stealth system they have implemented.
- Learning more about Adam and experiencing the game world through his eyes (not too excited about seeing the world from a camera behind his back but lets not go there.
- Just getting that feeling I got the first time I played through Deus Ex. I don't know if this will happen but I hold out hope that there will be some nostalgia involved while playing.

Well... I think that's about it for now. Will post more if I think of anything else.

With you on this one, so no point making my own post to repeat it. :thumb:

To conclude, I just can't wait to fire up this game and play as Adam.

xsamitt
16th Sep 2010, 12:28
With you on this one, so no point making my own post to repeat it. :thumb:

To conclude, I just can't wait to enter into this game and play as Adam.

Agreed ........100%.

Esnuk
16th Sep 2010, 14:39
Agreed ........100%.

Same thing for me. :cool:

Pretentious Old Man.
16th Sep 2010, 15:11
Let's keep this thread a positive experience instead of a frustrating combative waste of time!

Not mutually exclusive.

mad825
16th Sep 2010, 15:18
tbh, I don't really have a clue what I'm excited about. there isn't really much for the game play aspects that is known and most of it are words from developer's mouth which I don't trust as they tend to exaggerate a little.

Donvermicelli
16th Sep 2010, 15:40
Storytelling has come a long way in gaming. There is more focus on pulling someone into a world. Visuals, sounds, the writing itself, it has all become far more polished in the last 5 or 6 years.

I have yet to see this progress in story writing and more focus on pulling someone into a world, forgive me if I'm sceptical but in my opinion the opposite has happened over the last 5 or 6 years.

I guess what I am most excited about is my pre assumptions about DXHR to be proven wrong my a long shot upon release. And I mean that, I really hope that this game is far better than what I imagine it to be.