PDA

View Full Version : ENGLISH\FRENCH AUDIO TRACK Available ?

rambo73
15th Sep 2010, 04:11
Who want a FRENCH AUDIO TRACK available on the game ?
Qui veux une PISTE SONORE FRANCAIS (ou Québécoise!!) Disponible sur le jeux ?

Personellement , ...j'aimerais BEAUCOUP mieux avoir une piste sonore francaise que de simples sous-titres!
(come on , on est rendu en 2010 bordel ....y a de plus en plus de bon jeux qui offrent une piste sonore francaise disponible en selectionnant la "langue" de la console !!

Vos commentaires....

jtr7
15th Sep 2010, 04:42
Have you heard otherwise?

The Monochrome Man
15th Sep 2010, 12:27
I saw a French version of the trailer kicking around on youtube - the user account name was SquareEnixFrance or something like that, but knowing youtube it could just as easily be a fan-made account.

In any case, the trailer was English with French subtitles. That makes sense from a logistical point of view - redubbing would mean a second set of voice actors (good luck finding enough who speak French with a Chinese accent) and a second set of lipsyncs. On top of that, they'd then have to do the same for Dutch, Spanish, Portuguese, Norsk, and so on.

My French is terrible, so excuse the semi-google translation. :)

_____

J'ai vu une version française sur YouTube - mais il pourrait être fan fait.

La avant-première était en anglais avec sous-titres français. Cela a du sens d'un point de vue logistique - Un redub exige un second ensemble de voix des acteurs (bonne chance pour trouver assez de personnes qui parlent le français avec un accent chinois) et une deuxième série de synchronisations des lèvres. Plus, ils auraient * faire de même pour le néerlandais, espagnol, portugais, scandinaves, etc pour l'Europe. Rappelez-vous que Deus Ex a beaucoup plus de caractères que la plupart des jeux, ce sera cher rapide!

C'est juste une supposition. :)

AlexOfSpades
15th Sep 2010, 13:00
Deus Ex was usually strict in english, so i think it will be like that.

Even in France people used to speak .. English.

Even russians, when spilling their drinks, they said it in English.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
15th Sep 2010, 14:42

Hehe, very true. :D

rambo73
15th Sep 2010, 21:22
Lazy worker ....the studio is in MONTREAL , QUEBEC !!! FRENCH GAMERS gave eidos what they have now ,...but it look that they forget this ....

really incredible when other games (UNCHARTED) for exemple , gave a french audio track for french citizen who leave in CANADA.

Lazy Lazy , eidos

Edx
15th Sep 2010, 22:35

If I ever met a Russian that didnt spiell their drinks, I'll spiell it for them.

FrankCSIS
15th Sep 2010, 23:01
Dubbed movies are terrible. The only good job I've ever seen done was with the Simpsons, Quebec dubbing of course (lord oh lord spare my ears from the France version). And to be frank, even that one turned quite ordinary as more characters were added to the series over the years.

Ever played Pandora Directive? Chris Jones' voice is just legendary. I played a french dubbed version once, and wanted to cry.

That's a big double-oh-no for me.

Brockxz
16th Sep 2010, 06:55
I hope they won 't dub it in any other language. Why? I completed Splinter Cell Conviction and then I saw credits that rolled for about 20 minutes and there was quite a long list of voice actors (English, Italian, French, Polish etc.). Don 't know how many languages was there but it was quite impressive list. But now I will tell you why I don 't want it. STOP WASTE MONEY ON THINGS THAT ARE NOT NEEDED. If you want localize, subtitles will be enough. It's not cheap to find all those actors and work in audio studios to record all those lines etc., and of course it cost money. It is always irritating to hear that publishers/developers talk about increased development costs when they spend money on things that aren't needed.

Corpus
16th Sep 2010, 07:47
I hope they won 't dub it in any other language. Why? I completed Splinter Cell Conviction and then I saw credits that rolled for about 20 minutes and there was quite a long list of voice actors (English, Italian, French, Polish etc.). Don 't know how many languages was there but it was quite impressive list. But now I will tell you why I don 't want it. STOP WASTE MONEY ON THINGS THAT ARE NOT NEEDED. If you want localize, subtitles will be enough. It's not cheap to find all those actors and work in audio studios to record all those lines etc., and of course it cost money. It is always irritating to hear that publishers/developers talk about increased development costs when they spend money on things that aren't needed.

Maybe you can skip them? If you wanna sit through the credits in hopes of something showing afterwards then youtube it after you've completed the game. Keep in mind some people prefer dub over sub (I personally don't).

mad825
16th Sep 2010, 07:59
learn English? it is rank second and dubbed the most "influential language". It's not that hard either....I kid, been trying to learn for 20 years and i'm still failing ^.^ as a native speaker >.>

Brockxz
16th Sep 2010, 08:51
Maybe you can skip them? If you wanna sit through the credits in hopes of something showing afterwards then youtube it after you've completed the game. Keep in mind some people prefer dub over sub (I personally don't).

You missed the point. Read my post one more time, maybe you will understand. Learn english and learn to read and understand the text.

P.S. I'm not from english speaking country if you think that i 'm biased in some way for not supporting multilanguage localized products.

The Monochrome Man
16th Sep 2010, 12:52
Personally, I get annoyed when non-English games force you to use an English dub instead of subtitles - the voice acting for the dubs are almost always terrible. I'm not sure if it's because they're trying to get the actors to match the original lip synchs, or if they just don't bother to check the dub with an English audience, or what...

It's not just low budget games that do this. Square's own FF13 has places where the English voices just don't sound natural at all - and you have to import the Chinese version if you want subbed instead.

For what it's worth, the voice acting we've seen from DXHR so far is a lot better.

Alpha7
16th Sep 2010, 14:28
Most games aren't made in USA/UK, then if every game had to provide only native localization (from devs country) : I guess YOU English speakers would be very annoyed by the number, even with subtitles.
English is the world wide language, but it doesn't mean everybody like or feel comfortable with it (I'm not).

Imagine Deus Ex 3 with sfx sounds, music soundtracks, but no dialog voices - just muted characters with English subtitles. Well this is nearly how "great" your game would sound for true non-English speakers...
In order to improve immersivness and to identify with character, you better enjoy full scene rather focusing and reading text at bottom screen.

Now, do you really think devs all around the world are stupids, and waste money for localization without economic impact as counterpart for dubbing charges ?

---

If most of games have terrible dubs, it doesn't mean DX3 will be.
Since DX3 Japanese localization is planned, I hope French will be.

The Monochrome Man
16th Sep 2010, 15:18
Hi Alpha.

I actually play a lot of games using subs instead of dubs - most games don't have enough (meaningful) dialogue for it to be a problem, and you tend to get a lot more expression in the original voices (ie, you can gauge the tone of the voice better).

That said, I'll have to be honest and say I don't know how good the localisation teams for French and other languages are compared to the guys that do, for example, Czech to English. Most of the ->English teams sound like they come from Saturday morning cartoons. :)

Subtitles probably don't bother me as much as I tend to watch international films, so I'm used to reading the subtitles from the corner of my eye while watching the action.

In any case, I'm sure Coyote will stick his nose in and tell us what the plans are soon. :)

hiroprotagonist
16th Sep 2010, 15:44
I think whether or not people can "accept" dubs depends on where one grew up with. Here in Germany, almost every film is dubbed, which extends to more and more to games nowadays. This "tradition" is usually ridiculed by either Americans (who rather remake than redub a movie...) or people from smaller countries (in terms of population) like the Scandinavian ones.
Personally, I like dubs, if they´re well done. Amateur voice actors or even one actor speaking different or all roles (as it happens in Russia a lot) indeed detract my attention and are thus inferior to subtitles.

In a product of this dimension, producing a dub is NOT a matter of costs! I´ve worked in film and audio business long enough to say the costs for a localization, or at least a dub are a joke compared to, for example, the marketing budget.
So I´m 90% sure there WILL be a french dub (since France is also a country with quite a tradition in dubbing foreign works as well as being big enough (don´t forget Canada and other french-speaking countries) for a dub to be worth its money)).
Everyone´s "favorite" Invisible War was actually dubbed in German back then, which made it better in my opinion, since the male Alex D. was voiced by Brad Pitt´s voice actor! That really gave it a hollywoodesque touch (in a positive sense).
Considering this Pitt voice guy is Germany´s second best paid voice actor and DX:HR will be a way larger-scale game in terms of budget, I would be surprised not to see dubs in all "major" languages!
Oh, by the way: Hi to everybody, since this is my first post here. After leeching for more than a year I finally gave up resisting the urge to take part in the discussions and signed up to share this little piece of knowledge which might be helping... :)

AzureForge
16th Sep 2010, 19:49
Video game industry is subsidised in Quebec. One of the conditions to have that money is to release the game in french. It's pretty much a given that the game will be available in french in north america.

L'industrie des jeux vidéos au Québec est subventionnée. Une des conditions pour avoir l'argent est de distribuer le jeu en français. C'est presque certains que le jeu sera disponible en français en amérique du nord.

Slaughterman
16th Sep 2010, 23:21
I'm French, and I absolutely don't want any french audio-track, and if there is I will use the english one. 80% of the time, french audio-track are **** :/ Much more immersion with the original one !

azarhal
17th Sep 2010, 01:07
I think the best is a multi-language version of the game (English, French, German, Spanish, Japanese) where you can select both the dub and the sub you want.

We already know that they have Japanese voice actors for the game with the latest trailer for the Tokyo show, anyway.

Localizations is usually the work of the publisher too.

FrankCSIS
17th Sep 2010, 04:38
In order to improve immersivness and to identify with character, you better enjoy full scene rather focusing and reading text at bottom screen.

Not really. I've seen about two hundred foreign films in the past ten or so years at Fantasia, all in original language with english subtitles. Antikorper, in German, absolutely pulled me in, in great part because of the german language itself, which set the tone no english or french dub could've ever matched. Let the Right One In, with its language matching the austerity of the scenery. Survive Style Five + is wonderful in japanese, and I'd never want to see it in another language. The words, the voices, the rythm, the accents, it's a musicality which is integral to the end result, result which you cannot decorticate into elements and replace them at will.

Unless of course your wording, your pacing, and the integration of it all is so generic that you can replace it with anything for similar result.

Video game industry is subsidised in Quebec. One of the conditions to have that money is to release the game in french.

I was under the impression the only requirement was french/billingual cover and instruction booklet.

azarhal
17th Sep 2010, 12:06
I was under the impression the only requirement was french/billingual cover and instruction booklet.

All games released in the Quebec province need to have a bilingual manual (cover doesn't need to be, well my Oblivion copy didn't have a bilingual cover despite having 2 manuals, one in French, and being in English).

But a recent law (2009) force publishers to publish games in French in the province, if a version already exist in the world (usually in France).

Irate_Iguana
17th Sep 2010, 12:08
The French need to get over the fact that the civilized world left their language quite a while ago.

Blade_hunter
17th Sep 2010, 13:16
Really I will see, Barrett saying the same terrible lines at Adam in French :hmm:

Regardez qui voil*; on dirait que nous avons l* un boy scout! T'as été vraiment bon pour en etre arrivé aussi loin, Jensen!

Ahem, Sans commentaires

Alpha7
17th Sep 2010, 14:45
The French need to get over the fact that the civilized world left their language quite a while ago.Around 200 millions French speakers, let's claim we still love our "uncivilized" part of the world... Say hello to Eidos Montréal, a bunch of Quebec barbarians from Canada. :wave:

If you have no use (even your convenience) with foreign audio-tracks, nobody will force you : just switch back to English, so why complain ?
Just keep in mind some people don't, French or else audio-tracks is an argument wich lead them to buy a product...(or not if missing).

Corpus
17th Sep 2010, 15:00
You missed the point. Read my post one more time, maybe you will understand. Learn english and learn to read and understand the text.

P.S. I'm not from english speaking country if you think that i 'm biased in some way for not supporting multilanguage localized products.

English is my first language, there is no need to insult me. I understand your gripe about it costing money but there are people who prefer native audio. I totally agree subtitles are better but not everyone does and that little extra work can guarantee more sales.

As Azarhal said, publishers handle the localization for the most part and we all know SE is loaded. They've put a lot of money into this already.

rambo73
19th Sep 2010, 00:59
When I was asking FRENCH Audio Track , it was made in QUEBEC from QUEBECOIS worker for sure.......!!!

rambo73
19th Sep 2010, 01:09
ITS NOT TRUE NOW IN 2010 !!!!!!!!!!!

**** !!! , When everyones will understand that !!!!

...check the ULTRA BIG HIT "Heavy Rain" PS3 Game !!!
it have : English , French , Spanish , German , Japaneses , ...etc etc LANGUAGE TRACK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its a BLU-RAY DISC !!!! , enough space available to put the track without taking too much space from the game
and for EVERYONE (now that the french\QUEBECOIS audio track are extremely well done in 2008-2009-2010) IT WILL BE A BETTER AND DEEPER "immersive" GAMEPLAY EXPERIENCE !!!

rambo73
19th Sep 2010, 01:14
ITS NOT TRUE NOW IN 2010 !!!!!!!!!!!

**** !!! , When everyones will understand that !!!!

...check the ULTRA BIG HIT "Heavy Rain" PS3 Game !!!
it have : English , French , Spanish , German , Japaneses , ...etc etc LANGUAGE TRACK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its a BLU-RAY DISC !!!! , enough space available to put the track without taking too much space from the game
and for EVERYONE (now that the french\QUEBECOIS audio track are extremely well done in 2008-2009-2010) IT WILL BE A BETTER AND DEEPER "immersive" GAMEPLAY EXPERIENCE !!!

rambo73
19th Sep 2010, 01:16
I'm French, and I absolutely don't want any french audio-track, and if there is I will use the english one. 80% of the time, french audio-track are **** :/ Much more immersion with the original one !

...it was true back in the '80s ...now we are in 2010 with EXTREMELY AWESOME DUBBED version.

for exemple : UNCHARTED games , HEAVY RAIN , ...etc etc

rambo73
19th Sep 2010, 01:21
Hehe, very true. :D
Come on , did you understand the meaning here , its all about the DEUS EX serie ,
...we have to fight to keep our culture alive and NOT be swallowed by the U.S. language.

this game was possible because it was made in QUEBEC !!!! ...native language in QUEBEC , CANADA
is still 80% FRENCH and 20% english !!!!

if you miss this one because the game team is lazy to engage dubbing actors in 2010 , ....I swear that I
will NEVER buy any products from you in the future and I will be HAPPY to spend my money on games
that producers are (smart) Kind enough to dub the gamein many other languages , now the technology of blu-ray permit it !!!

AlexOfSpades
19th Sep 2010, 01:56
Blu Ray permit it only in Playstation 3 and a few computers, right?

Alpha7
2nd Oct 2010, 00:56
When I was asking FRENCH Audio Track , it was made in QUEBEC from QUEBECOIS worker for sure.......!!!

this game was possible because it was made in QUEBEC !!!! ...native language in QUEBEC , CANADA
is still 80% FRENCH and 20% english !!!!

Quebec population : 11 millions
France population : 65 millions

So, if Eidos have to choose wich kind of French audio they wish to implement, they would naturaly head to French from France dub actors.
Origin argument cannot stand economic one.

if you miss this one because the game team is lazy to engage dubbing actors in 2010 , ....I swear that I
will NEVER buy any products from you in the future and I will be HAPPY to spend my money on games
that producers are (smart) Kind enough to dub the gamein many other languages , now the technology of blu-ray permit it !!!

Obiviously, Eidos team is very worried about a single alone customer boycott :whistle:

OwlSolar
2nd Oct 2010, 01:12
Quebec population : 11 millions
France population : 65 millions

So, if Eidos have to choose wich kind of French audio they wish to implement, they would naturaly head to French from France dub actors.
Origin argument cannot stand economic one.
What does population have to do with this? They're all still French, right?

Alpha7
2nd Oct 2010, 04:44
Well, population have to do with amount of potential customers.

If indeed they speak French, but different nationalities, then dialects from those countries are also somewhat different.
Different just like a Texan guy would sound to a South-Africa guy.

OwlSolar
2nd Oct 2010, 04:52
That's true, but population doesn't have to do with how well they speak the language.

You're right on the second point as well. But think about it: people in Shanghai would be no more likely to speak French with a French dialect than with a Canadian one. Assuming they speak French at all. The translation is just a convienence, so dialect doesn't really matter.
...Unless part of the game actually is in France.

Alpha7
2nd Oct 2010, 05:34
Oh!hum...I would not dare to claim some speak better than other. :rolleyes:

But think about it: people in Shanghai would be no more likely to speak French with a French dialect than with a Canadian one. Assuming they speak French at all.
I guess you're right. I've just noticed rambo73 would not be really happy since Eidos is in Quebec (Canada) and so dialect should necessarily come from there.
(This is his argument - I disagree with it)

The translation is just a convienence, so dialect doesn't really matter.
Yes, not a big deal.
But for some, it may sound "strange" to listen Adam Jensen and so-called neutral characters speaking with accent from...wherever else.
Anyway : I'm sure most of French speakers will be happy with audio, no matter about dialect.

OwlSolar
2nd Oct 2010, 06:14
Gah, I worded that wrong. I meant that they wouldn't be necessarily be better for the job. :)

Well, I don't know much about dialect, so I can't really tell. So I guess for Americans it'd be like having everyone speak English with a British accent for no reason? Is that a good analogy?
Ah well. I didn't really know what the debate was about in the first place anyway. :p

Alpha7
2nd Oct 2010, 06:30
That's it ! Even if (AFAIK) American/English dialects are less different than French/Quebecer.
In the last place, debate will end once we'll know : how many and wich languages, only text or dubbing, DX3 will include.

Please Eidos, tell us

OwlSolar
2nd Oct 2010, 06:36
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=113445

:)

JCDentonMale
6th Oct 2010, 12:33
I am French and I am fine with English audio track + French subtitles. If French audio tracks are provided, do NOT enforce it, make it an option. French dubbing sometimes just doesn't sound right.

rambo73
1st Dec 2010, 03:27
you dont have right on this ...

ZakKa89
1st Dec 2010, 08:21
More games should have multilanguage subtitles.