PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about deus ex: Human Revolution close combat

dropthehate
12th Sep 2010, 21:39
Hi there. I'm sorry for my English. It's not perfect but i came to this forum to tell my idea that came to me after i seen human revolution trailer that was awesome)) I know that developers of deus ex have their own plan how to do this game good but i have some idea about close combat in this game.
Here's the point: How about to do something like cut-scenes in the close combat when our "hero" using their arm-implants like in trailer but we will see this from first person view. I don't mean a "static" cut scenes 3-4 times in the game. I mean interactive fighting scenes all over the game situations. For example in some narrow corridor or in the elevator with 2-3 enemyes. Easy example. Elevator going down to you and you see with infrared-vision that there are enemyes in there. You just choosing melee weapon arm-implants, they are transformating from your arms and when the elevator opens all you need is to pushing left mouse button to fight by arms and right mouse button to fight by legs. To do this easyer may be need to do some short slow-mo moments when you need to push some button to do another strike - like in Batman arkham :) but it will be not simple melee-fight like in deus ex 2. It will be real cut-scene from 1st person view like in.. modern warfare 1 and 2 for example. But i think it will be too hard to push buttons in the right time.. but in real fight it's not so easy to kill 3 jerks in the elevator you know :-D and all this fights have to be from 1st person view. It's can be very cool. I know that developing of interactive fights in random situations need a lot of work but imagine what success this thing can brought to your game. Okay, if this fights in random situations impossible how about to do 10-20 different fighting scenes from 1st persom view in the key missions of the game? You guys have about half year to work) i think it's not impossible to do and it's very good idea to give this game some cool-show fights like in the trailer. Ooor it's not good enough?

puzl
12th Sep 2010, 21:41
you best be trollin', son.

dropthehate
12th Sep 2010, 21:52
i'm not trollin) i'm serious) i'm not telling some stupid things) it's rlly good idea i think. It can brought to the game some showiness, adrenaline, i don't know. Really, i love deus ex but sometimes it too slow and boring game that yells: I NEED MORE ACTION GOD DAMN. Show me someone who will not happy to see this idea in game?

Ashpolt
12th Sep 2010, 21:55
i'm not trollin

i love deus ex but sometimes it too slow and boring game that yells: I NEED MORE ACTION GOD DAMN.

Uh-huh.

Pinky_Powers
12th Sep 2010, 22:00
Well... here we are. :hmm:

Irate_Iguana
12th Sep 2010, 22:10
Uh-huh.

You've got to admit, the username is a nice touch.

IOOI
12th Sep 2010, 22:58
Here's the point: How about to do something like cut-scenes in the close combat when our "hero" using their arm-implants like in trailer but we will see this from first person view. I don't mean a "static" cut scenes 3-4 times in the game. I mean interactive fighting scenes all over the game situations. For example in some narrow corridor or in the elevator with 2-3 enemyes. Easy example. Elevator going down to you and you see with infrared-vision that there are enemyes in there. You just choosing melee weapon arm-implants, they are transformating from your arms and when the elevator opens all you need is to pushing left mouse button to fight by arms and right mouse button to fight by legs. To do this easyer may be need to do some short slow-mo moments when you need to push some button to do another strike - like in Batman arkham :) but it will be not simple melee-fight like in deus ex 2. It will be real cut-scene from 1st person view like in.. modern warfare 1 and 2 for example.

No. Quick time events don't fit in this game. It just needs better melee combat and sneak attacks. Maximum would be showing the final blow in slow-mo (optional like in SWJKII).

*But* if this was a full fledged RPG (which it isn't) you should have the choice to follow the "brawler's" path to the end (improve reflexes and have access to quick-time events, more slow-mo takedows and auto target selection/mark-and-execute and all the shizzle), but like in every RPG there are advantages and disadvantages.

But i think it will be too hard to push buttons in the right time.. but in real fight it's not so easy to kill 3 jerks in the elevator you know :-D and all this fights have to be from 1st person view.

In real life three junkies would kick your ass. Really, I'm telling you. They are though when in group.
In DX if you have to confront three guys you should use a grenade for instance. You'd still could use melee/HTH but it should be very hard, very noisy and you'd lose health. The comfort zone would be facing two guys: grab one by the throat making it impossible to scream and threat the second one with a pistol or threat to kill is buddy if he screams (should vary with AI input - if would risk his buddy's life and scream).

Okay, if this fights in random situations impossible how about to do 10-20 different fighting scenes from 1st persom view in the key missions of the game? You guys have about half year to work) i think it's not impossible to do and it's very good idea to give this game some cool-show fights like in the trailer. Ooor it's not good enough?

Oh my... this is even worse.

Sotsiak
13th Sep 2010, 07:40
http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/980/ycx40k1283517013.jpg

Hammich
13th Sep 2010, 09:00
I think something like Riddick's melee/takedown system and killzone2/call of juarez's cover systems would've been the logical evolution for Deus Ex of this generation. Keeps it in first person while still giving the player some control.

And I've always wondered, in Deus Ex games, the protagonist's vision is always augmented but but unless you activate biomods you don't see anything special. I would've thought a complete ripoff of riddicks eyeshine would have been appropriate.

Pinky_Powers
13th Sep 2010, 09:07
I would've thought a complete ripoff of riddicks eyeshine would have been appropriate.

Appropriate for a game that doesn't spent a lot of time in the dark? What good is eyeshine when the lights are still on? Maybe you like to burn out your retinas, but that's a savage pleasure I have no thirst for.

Hammich
13th Sep 2010, 09:24
Appropriate for a game that doesn't spent a lot of time in the dark? What good is eyeshine when the lights are still on? Maybe you like to burn out your retinas, but that's a savage pleasure I have no thirst for.

Maybe you might have missed that both previous Deus Ex games have taken place entirely at night?

TrickyVein
13th Sep 2010, 14:10
^^ That would be true, except that it isn't. Dork-JC-clone stomped around in Cairo during the early morning. You're point is substantially correct tho - however, Dugas has just clarified that stealth in DX3 is not based on shadows at all, but rather, line of sight.

K^2
13th Sep 2010, 15:12
We've known about line-of-sight stealth, as in absolutely-confirmed-no-getting-around-it-we-are-not-going-to-change-core-gameplay-at-this-stage for at least a year now.

JCpies
13th Sep 2010, 16:18
1) Use paragraphs.
2) Use real words.
3) Don't bother suggesting anything else.
4) Have a nice day.

lithos
13th Sep 2010, 16:19
Human Revolution has close combat?

What about those cutscenes the animators worked so hard on?

Slack
18th Sep 2010, 04:11
¬¬ /------------------------------------\
--- --- Are you a real Deus Ex fan?WTF!
| \________________________________/
------
|
/ \

Aonaran
26th Sep 2010, 04:57
I think something like Riddick's melee/takedown system ... Keeps it in first person while still giving the player some control....I would've thought a complete ripoff of riddicks eyeshine would have been appropriate.

+1

I hadn't played the first until the re-release, but I have to say these games did take downs VERY right, I'm surprised to see no one has ripped what is a big step in first person melee.

KSingh77
26th Sep 2010, 06:40
Be expecting a 30 minute takedown movie of Adam killing a bunch of guys in Daft Punk costumes with his arm blades,meanwhile Barrett sneaks up behind him to falcon punch Adam unless you hit the button sequence right.

Fail and you get a cutscene where Barrett calls Adam a boyscout.

Pinky_Powers
26th Sep 2010, 06:54
Be expecting a 30 minute takedown movie of Adam killing a bunch of guys in Daft Punk costumes with his arm blades,meanwhile Barrett sneaks up behind him to falcon punch Adam unless you hit the button sequence right.

Fail and you get a cutscene where Barrett calls Adam a boyscout.

:eek:

I MUST learn that button combination!!

Kodaemon
26th Sep 2010, 08:49
http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/980/ycx40k1283517013.jpg

By the way:

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/1820/separated.jpg

Separated at birth?

Pinky_Powers
26th Sep 2010, 08:56
^... Where the hell did you pull that out of? :lol:

Kodaemon
26th Sep 2010, 09:21
teh internets

KSingh77
27th Sep 2010, 00:00
Theres always the pistol with the silencer,surprise the game didn't breakout into third person everytime Adam pulled the trigger or else he would break out into an Equilibrium,Gun Kata fight style.

lithos
27th Sep 2010, 01:04
I'm surprised there isn't an auto-kill option. You know, as soon as Adam wanders within detection range of an NPC, the NPC automatically dies, even if the player didn't even know the NPC was there.

You know. It would help prevent the alienation of new players, who could quite possibly be put off by things like learning controls, aiming, managing ammo and other resources, not to mention the painful setback of dying and having to reload a save game.

KSingh77
27th Sep 2010, 01:10
All the npc die right away cause of his awsome goatee and shades.

AlexOfSpades
27th Sep 2010, 01:12
Why is everyone against the takedowns? Its so cool to run and gun, get me some awesome kills, unlock achievements and etc... Some headshots in the NSF noobs

-not

(edit)

If it was like that i'd kill everyone around me

lithos
27th Sep 2010, 02:45

He then chugs a Smirnoff Ice, crushes the bottle against his forehead ('cause "any wuss can do it with a can, bro!") then fist-bumps himself.

Dead-Eye
27th Sep 2010, 03:01

I was thinking of adding a feature in a game that I want to make (That I probably never will) where one of the main characters, a bounty hunter, has an ability that makes enemies so scared of him that they pretend he's not real for 3 seconds. It's because he's famous.

pringlepower
27th Sep 2010, 03:03
I was thinking of adding a feature in a game that I want to make (That I probably never will) where one of the main characters, a bounty hunter, has an ability that makes enemies so scared of him that they pretend he's not real for 3 seconds. It's because he's famous.

Sorta reminds me of Arkham Asylum, where if you start taking down Joker's thugs one-by-one, they start to get terrified (and their patrol routes go all out of whack) because you're the freaking Batman.

Pinky_Powers
27th Sep 2010, 09:17

As it should be.

Now all Adam needs is a spiffy hat and he'll be me!