PDA

View Full Version : BO2 PS2 vs Gamecube

Lore Keeper
12th Sep 2010, 17:07
Hey all. I own the ps2 version of BO2. It has a variety of bugs ranging from audio anomalies during gameplay to horrendous audio to video synchronization in some cutscenes. I recently heard that these bugs were corrected in the Gamecube release of the game. I was just wondering if anyone could confirm this before I put the money down on my own copy.

The_Hylden
12th Sep 2010, 19:03
Hi, Lore Keeper,

Yes, both the Gamecube and PC versions of Blood Omen 2 have the bugs like out of sinc dialogue, etc., fixed. The PC version is the better of the two, graphically (though, the colors are a tad muted), but if you can only get the Gamecube version of these two options, then you'll have a bug-free experience. :)

FearGhoul
13th Sep 2010, 00:40
But the bugs in that game are part of the experience! Like the loading times in Blood Omen!

Lore Keeper
7th Oct 2010, 02:51
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Thanks for the info Hylden. I'll look into buying one of them as soon as I can get around to it. ;)

Lore Keeper
7th Oct 2010, 02:53
And lol at Zulgbrtzchllha.

Kinvaras
21st Jan 2011, 14:08
Yes, both the Gamecube and PC versions of Blood Omen 2 have the bugs [...] but if you can only get the Gamecube version of these two options, then you'll have a bug-free experience. :)

I dont get it. isn't that a paradox?

But the bugs in that game are part of the experience! Like the loading times in Blood Omen!

oh yeah, that's for sure.

Even though I experienced a weird bug with my ps1 version of blood omen too, I thought that the bugs of Blood Omen 2 were so fans wouldn't complain of the lack of continuity of the series, just like the lack of subtitles

The_Hylden
21st Jan 2011, 14:20
Not if you put back in what you omitted in the [...]

Kinvaras
21st Jan 2011, 15:28
Not if you put back in what you omitted in the [...]

really? I dont see how :mad2:

perhaps the lack of sleeping is affecting my brain

The_Hylden
21st Jan 2011, 19:03
Yes, both the Gamecube and PC versions of Blood Omen 2 have the bugs like out of sinc dialogue, etc., fixed.

Original sentence. Please tell me how you're failing to read that properly.

Kinvaras
22nd Jan 2011, 00:44
Original sentence. Please tell me how you're failing to read that properly.

ooooh right. I missed the word "fixed"... sorry, I guess the weed started affecting me

Lore Keeper
5th Apr 2011, 23:42
Ok, I bought and cleared BO2 for Gamecube. Now, I have a synopsis of what I found...

Fixed bugs, changes:
Voiceover delays in cutscenes have been completely fixed, however...(see below)
Annoying repeating scream glitch in first level is fixed.
Missing music tracks during times like boss battles have been restored.
Missing sound effects during vein absorption scenes have been restored.
Vampire silhouettes during vein absorption scenes are now surrounded by a ball of swirling colors.
Winged demons now let out a death wail when they die.
Blood streams are no longer obscured by mist despite being above it.
Most glitchy graphics in cutscenes are fixed (characters flashing in and out of existence).
Voiceovers are clearer and easier to understand (especially the eternal prison guards).
An echo effect is added during "whispers".
The green glow in hylden eyes goes out when they die.
The hylden slaves now wear brown aprons as opposed to orange ones.
An issue which caused part of the world to not be drawn as you get to it seems to have been fixed.

Unchanged/new bugs:
Sound effects (footsteps, etc) are now delayed in ALL cutscenes.
Weapons will rarely turn a bright purple color for no reason.
That glitched looping conversation in level 3 is still present.
The game still likes to crash on the last level (even more so it seems).
You'll still see two Hylden Lords in the cutscene in which Kain retrieves the Soul Reaver.

Overall, I am very disappointed with BO2's GC incarnation. Though some of my biggest gripes were addressed, it seemed like I was just trading one set of glitches for another. I can't believe that after getting a second shot at making this game right, the creators still left us with such an unfinished product.
So, PS2 or Gamecube version? I suppose it comes down to a matter of personal preference. I prefer being able to actually hear the lines that get cut out of some scenes on the PS2, but both versions have serious flaws. Hopefully, this post can give prospective buyers a better idea of what system they would want BO2 on.

Linikratyo
6th Apr 2011, 19:00
You'll still see two Hylden Lords in the cutscene in which Kain retrieves the Soul Reaver

That one can be fixed by killing the Sarafan Lord on another platform

Muyfa123
7th Apr 2011, 06:09
How is the PC-version? I know there is a update patch for it. Does it fix any of the bugs?

The_Hylden
7th Apr 2011, 06:42
Ok, I bought and cleared BO2 for Gamecube. Now, I have a synopsis of what I found...

Unchanged/new bugs:
Sound effects (footsteps, etc) are now delayed in ALL cutscenes.
Weapons will rarely turn a bright purple color for no reason.
That glitched looping conversation in level 3 is still present.
The game still likes to crash on the last level (even more so it seems).
You'll still see two Hylden Lords in the cutscene in which Kain retrieves the Soul Reaver.

Hm, I am sorry to hear that. Honestly, though, I've never had any of these glitches, save for the NPC conversation maybe looping while in the game. I think I know the part you mean, where the woman goes on about the wondrous Glyph light. That loop only happens for a moment, though, not continuous. The bright purple color for weapons happens when you imbue the weapon with vampiric magic energy, in coffers found every now and then, but you're saying it's happening with you doing this?

Anyway, I guess there are flawed versions of this on every platform, most likely, but PC and Gamecube are your best bet for a glitch-free experience. I don't experience crashes. Gamecube discs every 1 out of like 50 times can simply stop reading (freezing with this horrid noise), and that's maybe happened twice in the many years I've owned this title, as it has with most every disc. However, the game, itself, doesn't crash, final level, or anywhere else. The only true glitch that's present no matter the platform happens when entering the code for the Blood Omen 1 armor and Soul Reaver. Since it happens on a cheat, I didn't bother to include it. However, it's amusing. The SR will randomly appear through Kain's shoulder pointing at people in cutscenes. Ingame, it sometimes disappears, most of the time after you've imbued it with magic power, leaving you with a glowing purple light saber, of sorts (which is actually damn cool, haha).

Anywho, the one conclusion you can make from it all is that BO2 is the most flawed of any of the LoK titles out of the gate. Again, I am sorry to hear you had bugs in your version that I didn't anticipate. I was relating both from what I know of my version and what I've seen posted by others who have the Gamecube version, also. I'm quite shocked it has so many glitches for you.

Hm, did you buy it used?

Muyfa123
7th Apr 2011, 07:55
IMO, BO2 is worst game in the series. Not that it's extremely bad, but it seems more like a filler than a game that brings any useful details to the saga.

That said, I would love a speedrun complete with movies, as I consider the story intriguing, but I'm too lazy to replay it again. I played it through on PS2 many years ago, and it crashed on me a couple of times. Now I run it from PS2 HDD, so maybe it's more stable. One of these days I guess it's time to find out.

Haven't even finished SR2, sorry to say. :-(