PDA

View Full Version : Reticle placement...

Rindill the Red
11th Sep 2010, 18:54
I hope this goes without saying but... I really hope you devs put the reticle dead center in the middle of the screen.

I've been playing Halo Reach, and I just can't get comfortable with how they put the reticle like 2/3's of the way down the screen. It feels like I'm running around with my head bent back and am looking at my enemies down across my nose. I can't immerse myself in the game without getting annoying/weird feeling in my neck and head.

Anyways... yeah...

TrickyVein
11th Sep 2010, 19:06
Just sayin', personally, I enjoy playing without a reticle. It's much more immersive, and it forces you to actually aim. After a while, you get acclimated to it, and it's a vastly superior experience than playing with an annoying graphic smack in the middle of your screen.

Shralla
11th Sep 2010, 19:36
I don't think that "forcing you to gauge the distance between the four sides of your screen in relation to each other in order to determine the center" is in any way the same thing as "forcing you to aim." In fact, I would say that aiming with a reticule is much more like "aiming" than not using one. I know where I'm pointing a gun. A reticule simulates that.

Cronstintein
11th Sep 2010, 19:43
Well you have the option of pulling up the iron sights/scope so I'd be fine with no reticule.

jtr7
11th Sep 2010, 21:48
For the modders and PC players, hopefully the reticle can be adjusted in the cfg/ini files. Also, if there's head-bob that cannot be adjusted, a reticle helps some people with motion-sickness as a nice steady focal point.

St. Mellow
11th Sep 2010, 23:02
Like always, choice is the best option. Different people have different preferences, so unless it's something imperative to the gameplay it should be left open and/or made easily moddable.

Kodaemon
11th Sep 2010, 23:15
I would say that aiming with a reticule is much more like "aiming" than not using one. I know where I'm pointing a gun. A reticule simulates that.

aiming with a handbag ftw

TrickyVein
11th Sep 2010, 23:46
For anyone who's used a firearm, you'll know that guns are not nearly as straight-shooting as videogames simulate them to be. Moving your mouse until a graphic on the screen lands smack-dab over where you want to shoot is pretty lame. Also, disabling the HUD's reticle makes you appreciate the laser-sight weapon Mod so much more.

Dead-Eye
11th Sep 2010, 23:47
Anyone get a jolt of joy when they no scope someone with the M24?

TrickyVein
12th Sep 2010, 00:05
Can't say that I have, and I don't think I'd find it to be very enjoyable. Where were you, in Bosnia?

Bushmonster
12th Sep 2010, 01:21
Anyone get a jolt of joy when they no scope someone with the M24?

ive always prefered the sv-98

Rindill the Red
12th Sep 2010, 01:47
Can't say that I have, and I don't think I'd find it to be very enjoyable. Where were you, in Bosnia?

Man, we do get some psycho's in here, don't we?

lithos
12th Sep 2010, 04:16
I hope to god it's a sensible reticule, that actually indicates shot placement with obscuring too much of the screen.

TrickyVein
12th Sep 2010, 05:16
So, if I were an omnipotent being to whom mortals prayed, my to-do list would be something like this:

feed (insert name here)'s family for one more day;
watch over and steady the hand of valiant soldiers on the front line;
bring Mary's mother out of her coma;

and not make the cross-hair in DX3 too big. :hmm:

rokstrombo
12th Sep 2010, 05:23
In the gameplay demos shown so far it is revealed that the reticle is in the centre of the screen and varies depending on the type of weapon used.

The pistol reticle has a white cross with a small gap in the middle, and turns red when an enemy is targeted.
The rocket launcher has a white cross with a larger gap in the middle, and also turns red when an enemy is targeted.
The assault rifle reticle has a white circle with a white dot in the middle. I couldn't tell whether or not the dot changed colour when trained on an enemy.
The crossbow with scope featured no reticle until the player used the aim button to look through the scope.
None of the reticles appeared to change size during movement as in Deus Ex, although there is a small delay as the weapon is drawn before the reticles reached the minimum size. I don't know which augmentations were installed for the demos, however.

lithos
12th Sep 2010, 08:35
Reticule size and shape actually matters on PC. Because PC gamers have to actually aim.

Sabretooth1
12th Sep 2010, 09:06
This thread got me thinking: would an unstable reticule actually work? It could be used as a replacement for the traditional "expanded" reticule system, where your reticule is wide at first and narrows down for accuracy, and your shots are randomly distributed across this reticule.

What I propose is that the reticule will have high accuracy, but will keep wavering around the center randomly, kind of like some mini-games. If you are crouching/prone, still, etc. it wavers less. The advantage to this system is that unlike the expanded reticule system, it does not rely entirely on statistics - you can get flawless shots, but lining up shots takes a bit of luck.

So far, I can think of only disadvantages:
1. It might get annoying to players who don't want to stand still, wait till the reticule gets the right spot and fire. But then, expanded reticule annoys a lot of players as well.
2. Induce vertigo? Sometimes crosshairs/reticules are used simply to counter vertigo - Mirror's Edge for example, had the option for a very simple reticule in the center of the screen, because a lot of players felt vertigo without it.

Pretentious Old Man.
12th Sep 2010, 09:12
Reticule size and shape actually matters on PC. Because PC gamers have to actually aim.

lol u jst haet controler xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Everyone nos theres no skil 2 playin on pc. xDDDD

Kodaemon
12th Sep 2010, 09:37
reticule

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/3033/reticule.jpg

lithos
12th Sep 2010, 10:06
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/reticule

lithos
12th Sep 2010, 10:08
lol u jst haet controler xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Everyone nos theres no skil 2 playin on pc. xDDDD

hay com ova heer n say taht 2 my face n ill kick ur ass...

...@ call ofduty.

Kodaemon
12th Sep 2010, 10:43
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/reticule

Note how it lists the handbag as the primary meaning, then just points to the main "reticle" article without further explanation.

I'm also curious as to how you pronounce the word. Notice that "reticule" is correctly pronounced /ˈrɛtɪkjuːl/. I never heard anyone pronounce the crosshair one like that regardless of how they spell it. It's always /ˈrɛtɪkəl/.

rokstrombo
12th Sep 2010, 10:47
What I propose is that the reticule will have high accuracy, but will keep wavering around the center randomly, kind of like some mini-games. If you are crouching/prone, still, etc. it wavers less. The advantage to this system is that unlike the expanded reticule system, it does not rely entirely on statistics - you can get flawless shots, but lining up shots takes a bit of luck.

I like this idea, and I think it could also help to improve body awareness (breathing, running, etc). Compared with the traditional expanding reticle it wouldn't greatly change the process of aiming, but may provide a better representation of the player character needing to reconcile 3 dimensions of space. Presumably at small distances, the wavering would have a negligible effect.

Ilves
12th Sep 2010, 10:58
@ Rindill: The demo footage shown so far has the crosshairs right in the middle, so I guess no worries there.

Also, I'm pretty sure one could take out a man with a handbag. At close range, of course.

Jerion
12th Sep 2010, 12:57
@ Rindill: The demo footage shown so far has the crosshairs right in the middle, so I guess no worries there.

Also, I'm pretty sure one could take out a man with a handbag. At close range, of course.

Give me the Reticule. I like to make a silent takedown.

Ilves
12th Sep 2010, 13:00
^ It won't be silent, that I promise you-

Hey! Who are you?

Irate_Iguana
12th Sep 2010, 13:46
Hey! Who are you?

It's all mindgames, man. Don't let them get to you.

Dr_Bob
12th Sep 2010, 16:56
I played the Mafia II demo and was put off by the crosshair that is quite far above the centre of the screen.

Is this something new?

Why do the developers do this?

It's annoying.

Rindill the Red
12th Sep 2010, 17:31

So long as they keep the handbag at the center of the screen, I'm okay, no carrying it down low like sagging boobs.