PDA

View Full Version : DX and MGS series Similarity!

CodenameD
10th Sep 2010, 11:37
Ok I am a hardcore DX fan and by any means DO NOT WISH to see DX as a Metal Gear Solid like game! I hate those newbies who've seen the E3 Trailer and gameplay trailer and started calling it a MGS like game even suggested they made it a third person!

Anyways, I couldn't help but notice a few similarity between DX series and MGS series. (Its series based, NOT gameplay based!)

The first Metal Gear Solid (not the MG/Metal Gear games for NES) was very popular. The second one (Sons of Liberty) sucked! And the third one (Snake Eater) was better than the second but somewhere it wasnt like the first cuz i Just like solid snake better than naked snake!

Same for the DX series! DX1 was legendary! DX2 Sucked! DX3 will be better than DX2 but wont be as good as DX1 cuz i like JC better than Adam anyways!

Also both DX2 and MGS2 were sequels to its respective series and DX3 and MGS3 are prequels to the respective series! In both the second of both series, the protagonist from the first were present but a new 'dumbed down' protagonist was introduced. In the third installment of both series a protagonist far better than the second was introduced.

The fourth was really good... like the first one! So anyone wanna bet a DX4 game will bring back JC Denton like MGS4 brought back Solid Snake!

Probably wont happen but just a thought! Let me know what do you guys think? Cuz i think with MGS: Rising i bet the series is going down again, which I dont wanna happen with DX too!

hem dazon 90
10th Sep 2010, 11:41
But Adam (seems) to have character while JC was an emotionless robot!

DXeXodus
10th Sep 2010, 11:48
But Adam (seems) to have character while JC was an emotionless robot!

Quick! Burn the heretic!

:D

Well, you have certainly pointed you some interesting similarities there CodenameD. Lets just hope that they remain series based and not gameplay based....

CodenameD
10th Sep 2010, 11:59
Quick! Burn the heretic!

:D

Well, you have certainly pointed you some interesting similarities there CodenameD. Lets just hope that they remain series based and not gameplay based....

I hope so too!

@hem dazon 90: JC's character is that of the player himself! Which is exactly what Deus Ex was.. make your own God from the Machine! This personality bearing Adam is what scares me... and this cinematic style presentation! I hope they dont make another movie from a fully fleshed out character instead of letting 'us' flesh him out!

hem dazon 90
10th Sep 2010, 12:10
I hope so too!

@hem dazon 90: JC's character is that of the player himself! Which is exactly what Deus Ex was.. make your own God from the Machine! This personality bearing Adam is what scares me... and this cinematic style presentation! I hope they dont make another movie from a fully fleshed out character instead of letting 'us' flesh him out!

Belive me I'm kinda on your side but even the most basic questions weren't answered with JC I mean

What was his religion? Was he violent? did he have any regrets about the amount of bloodshed he caused?

I wish Deus Ex had a wee bit more characterization on that end

Grimesy
10th Sep 2010, 14:14
What was his religion? Was he violent? did he have any regrets about the amount of bloodshed he caused?

As CodenameD said, it all depends on YOU, the player...
If you had regrets about killing all those people, you could do a no-kill-run,
knocking everyone unconsious or leaving them be all together...
For instance, these days I always knock out the UNATCO troopers when sending the message,
because they're only doing their jobs...
I do kill Manderley without regrets, even though he's as good as unarmed, because of his corruption...

(they should have built in a violence-gauge into the game that in the end tells you how violent YOU are...)

AJacobson
10th Sep 2010, 14:14
Belive me I'm kinda on your side but even the most basic questions weren't answered with JC I mean

I wish Deus Ex had a wee bit more characterization on that end
Well that's exactly what CodenameD is talking about, the fact that he was so enigmatic allowed us to paint him whatever color we wanted.

He could be a cold-hearted killer to one person, and a person who regretted his position to someone else.

The only thing's that came out of JC's mouth were intelligent (intelligent being a key word here) political conversation and lightly veiled threats to bad people, which was awesome.

This is less so for Jenson, Eidos is painting a lot of his personality for us. He's a man who (cliche incoming) "didn't ask for this", caught up in the middle of a war he didn't know existed, trying to fight his way out and save his blonde girl. Which is okay, IF they do it right. (I'm willing to forgive the cliche for now since it was a trailer, which was more or less one big cliche with hints of DX sprinkled throughout. I have my fingers crossed that it was just to pander to the action obsessed kids.)

edit: Ninja'd by grimesy

Anyway, to op, the similarities are actually pretty interesting. I know you weren't talking about gameplay but I was thinking the other day I wouldn't mind a CQC type take-down system ala MGS4 for DX:HR. (in first-person) With a little tweaking I think it would work pretty well, you can choose to throw a guy down and knock him out instantly at the expense of making noise, or put him in a strangle hold and choke him out silently. Use him as a human shield, or just slit his throat outright. Might be kind of hard to make look right in first-person though.

Grimesy
10th Sep 2010, 14:55
edit: Ninja'd by grimesy

Nope, JCD'd, cause my JC is always stealthy...:whistle:

edit: I guess we will still be able to put in our own two cents in,
by deciding how Adam reacts to the troubles he has been put in,
violently or not

Pinky_Powers
10th Sep 2010, 17:29
It's true that Adam Jensen seems to have more characterization than J.C. Denton, but looking at the freedom of gameplay (choose to kill, choose not to kill, stealth, run-and-gun, choice and consequence in conversations) I'm hopeful there's still a lot of room to paint your own Jensen.

Corpus
10th Sep 2010, 17:53
It's true that Adam Jensen seems to have more characterization than J.C. Denton, but looking at the freedom of gameplay (choose to kill, choose not to kill, stealth, run-and-gun, choice and consequence in conversations) I'm hopeful there's still a lot of room to paint your own Jensen.

His previous actions shouldn't be big, merely set up the basic relationships with characters and companies.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
10th Sep 2010, 18:29
Quick! Burn the heretic!

Adam is ready and has ignited his lighter.

avenging_teabag
10th Sep 2010, 21:04
He could be a cold-hearted killer to one person, and a person who regretted his position to someone else.

You're speaking about actions, not personality. Action-wise, I hope Adam will be able to do all that stuff JC did, in fact, I'm pretty sure he will be. But personality-wise JC was just a blank slate. I wouldn't mind an upgrade from a "blank slate" to a "character". Of course, how that character will be executed, depends entirely on the writers.

Irate_Iguana
10th Sep 2010, 21:49
I'm hopeful there's still a lot of room to paint your own Jensen.

Within the gameplay, sure. The question is whether or not the gameworld will react to this painting. If I take great pains to make sure that Adam ghosts through all levels it would be weird to be continually referred to in cutscenes as a bloodthirsty killer.

Pinky_Powers
10th Sep 2010, 22:02
Within the gameplay, sure. The question is whether or not the gameworld will react to this painting. If I take great pains to make sure that Adam ghosts through all levels it would be weird to be continually referred to in cutscenes as a bloodthirsty killer.

I agree.

Eidos did reveal that on the Police Station mission, your boss will react depending on how you handled it. For instance, if you blow through the place and kill Detroit's finest, Sarif will be angry, but in the end will work his magic and keep out of trouble. And newspapers (and I'm assuming TV news) takes notice of your actions as well.

And thus, "I'm hopeful". :D

IOOI
10th Sep 2010, 23:00
Use him as a human shield [...] Might be kind of hard to make look right in first-person though.

Make the body transparent like picked up objects.

sonicsidewinder
10th Sep 2010, 23:55
Snake uses SOCOM pistol. Adam uses i dont know yet.

AlexOfSpades
14th Sep 2010, 18:54

:thumb: +1

Hammich
15th Sep 2010, 06:42
With a little tweaking I think it would work pretty well, you can choose to throw a guy down and knock him out instantly at the expense of making noise, or put him in a strangle hold and choke him out silently. Use him as a human shield, or just slit his throat outright. Might be kind of hard to make look right in first-person though.

Riddick did it, Crysis did it. The human shield thing would work fine in first person with an over-the-hostages-shoulder view.

AlexOfSpades
15th Sep 2010, 12:52
Riddick did it, Crysis did it. The human shield thing would work fine in first person with an over-the-hostages-shoulder view.

Or perhaps make the hostage slightly translucent?

or no?

Okay maybe no, when you're playing and your sister passes through and says "What a idiotic game with a translucent man floating in the screen"

Hammich
15th Sep 2010, 13:21
...does he have to be translucent? :(
I mean it's not the year 2000 anymore...