PDA

View Full Version : Blood Omen 2 - Important Events?

KainFanatic192
9th Sep 2010, 09:45
I always thought that Blood Omen 2 was never canon, but a side-game instead that had its own thing going on. As it turns out, it is canon.

So my question is this - what events in the game were significant enough for the rest of the series? What parts, in the game, helped out with the other games in getting answers that weren't given in the other games?

FearGhoul
9th Sep 2010, 21:46
Well it sure gave a lot of information about the Hylden, and if it wasn't for that game, no one would know what they were going to do with Janos. In Defiance, he flies off and that's the last we see of him, but because of Blood Omen 2, we know what happens to him.

Escaton
9th Sep 2010, 23:21
Why on earth wouldn't it be canon? I know it's not considered perfect, but what storyline elements does it screw up so badly that it would need to be amputated from the rest of the continuity?

As for important events, it's the only game where the Hylden appear in person. The significance of it all is unknown, because the series isn't finished. I guess the Hylden Lord's death and Janos' banishment are possibly the most notable points.

KainFanatic192
12th Sep 2010, 01:38
Well it sure gave a lot of information about the Hylden, and if it wasn't for that game, no one would know what they were going to do with Janos. In Defiance, he flies off and that's the last we see of him, but because of Blood Omen 2, we know what happens to him.

So in a way, that's going backwards, isn't it? Janos gets controlled by the Hylden Lord and escapes in Defiance, yet gets banished in a time previous to the events in SR2 and Defiance? That doesn't make sense.

The_Hylden
12th Sep 2010, 04:03
Hm?

Janos is possessed by the Hylden Lord in Defiance. The HL flies off in his body. 400 years after Defiance, and also BO1, since they are the same time period, Kain in BO2 comes across the devolved Janos, imprisoned within the Device. His blood has been leached for these 400 years to empower the Hylden Gate back to Nosgoth and to feed The Mass. Kain destroys The Mass and the Device, freeing Janos. At the end of BO2, Janos and the Hylden Lord clash. The HL tosses Janos into the Demon Dimension. Janos is never sent to the past... This is still 400 years after Defiance/BO1 and 300 years after the future segment of SR2, where Raziel is transported by Moebius instead of the past. It's still one century before Kain will raise Raziel and the other Lieutenants and 1,100 years before the opening cinematic happens in SR1, where Raziel's wing bones are torn out by Kain and he's then abyssed.

And BO2 told about the Hylden and their return to Nosgoth, showed Janos get banished to the Demon Realm, but other than that, it has no real bearing on the other games. Vorador's resurrection would have been explained in Defiance, but was cut for the rush to meet the deadline Eidos had. Presumably, it would have been finally explained in the game following that we now know was canceled shortly after Defiance's release. It's possible BO2 will tie into a future game more, but as of now, the Hylden walking about and Janos getting trapped are all that matters to the current events. What's unclear is if Janos' banishment was the portion that scared Kain about them most when the paradox happened at the end of SR2 and he gained the memories of BO2's events, or if something more sinister happens later regarding the Hylden entering Nosgoth again/screwing things up. We don't know, but it had to have been something other than the events of BO2, sans Janos' fate, because Kain took care of the Hylden threat then and there, all by himself.

KainFanatic192
12th Sep 2010, 22:06
Hm?

Janos is possessed by the Hylden Lord in Defiance. The HL flies off in his body. 400 years after Defiance, and also BO1, since they are the same time period, Kain in BO2 comes across the devolved Janos, imprisoned within the Device. His blood has been leached for these 400 years to empower the Hylden Gate back to Nosgoth and to feed The Mass. Kain destroys The Mass and the Device, freeing Janos. At the end of BO2, Janos and the Hylden Lord clash. The HL tosses Janos into the Demon Dimension. Janos is never sent to the past... This is still 400 years after Defiance/BO1 and 300 years after the future segment of SR2, where Raziel is transported by Moebius instead of the past. It's still one century before Kain will raise Raziel and the other Lieutenants and 1,100 years before the opening cinematic happens in SR1, where Raziel's wing bones are torn out by Kain and he's then abyssed.

And BO2 told about the Hylden and their return to Nosgoth, showed Janos get banished to the Demon Realm, but other than that, it has no real bearing on the other games. Vorador's resurrection would have been explained in Defiance, but was cut for the rush to meet the deadline Eidos had. Presumably, it would have been finally explained in the game following that we now know was canceled shortly after Defiance's release. It's possible BO2 will tie into a future game more, but as of now, the Hylden walking about and Janos getting trapped are all that matters to the current events. What's unclear is if Janos' banishment was the portion that scared Kain about them most when the paradox happened at the end of SR2 and he gained the memories of BO2's events, or if something more sinister happens later regarding the Hylden entering Nosgoth again/screwing things up. We don't know, but it had to have been something other than the events of BO2, sans Janos' fate, because Kain took care of the Hylden threat then and there, all by himself.

So BO2 takes place AFTER all the events in Defiance?

So Kain goes from being a good guy in Defiance, as far as his noble intentions goes, to being evil again?

Odd.

The_Hylden
12th Sep 2010, 23:43
No, the Kain we play as in Defiance is the one from the end of Soul Reaver 1 (2,000 years in the future), along with Raziel. They traveled to the past, where the events of both SR2 and Defiance take place (circa BO1's present, 100 years in the future of, and 500 years in the past of, ending in Defiance back at the BO1 present again). This is why it's helpful to refer to this Kain as Elder Kain, to distinguish between him and his younger self. At the end of Defiance, you have Elder Kain -- the one we are playing as -- at the Vampire Citadel, and his younger self is out there at the Pillars having just made the choice to refuse the sacrifice and damn the Pillars. It is this Kain -- Younger, or Fledgling Kain -- that continues on to BO2, where we play as him during those events, 400 years later. BO2's Kain is Elder Kain's past self. Elder Kain in SR2 gained new memories and these were the events of BO2.

KainFanatic192
13th Sep 2010, 09:12
No, the Kain we play as in Defiance is the one from the end of Soul Reaver 1 (2,000 years in the future), along with Raziel. They traveled to the past, where the events of both SR2 and Defiance take place (circa BO1's present, 100 years in the future of, and 500 years in the past of, ending in Defiance back at the BO1 present again). This is why it's helpful to refer to this Kain as Elder Kain, to distinguish between him and his younger self. At the end of Defiance, you have Elder Kain -- the one we are playing as -- at the Vampire Citadel, and his younger self is out there at the Pillars having just made the choice to refuse the sacrifice and damn the Pillars. It is this Kain -- Younger, or Fledgling Kain -- that continues on to BO2, where we play as him during those events, 400 years later. BO2's Kain is Elder Kain's past self. Elder Kain in SR2 gained new memories and these were the events of BO2.

Thanks for the explanation! Much appreciated!

I guess I just prefer to follow the games and the events that happened in each game as we progress(except for BO2, since that game really didn't matter much, except for Janos's banishment into the demon realm). So I'd like to think that we started off with a young, ignorant Kain that had some idea of what was going on to a much more matured, wiser Kain at the end.

Aranor
13th Sep 2010, 15:04
Something I felt BO2 gave us was a sense of the abundance of life that has been lost by the SR1 era. It showed us the world is not just about vampires. We got to see the city of Meridian from a more human perspecitve, down on the streets seeing people go about their daily business. I felt it gave more of an impression of the size of Nosgoth than any of the other games.

SR2 showed an abundance of nature, but not civilization. It was mostly grand buildings and guards of some sort.

BO2 gave the player a sense of what it is they are fighting for.

synesthetize
6th Apr 2011, 02:08
Sorry, I'm not sure this question belongs here, if not, please, move it to the proper section or thread.

I always wondered...
Why are all the inmates in the Eternal Prison women? Well, except by the man Magnus tries to chase. I must assume men are isolated in a separate area into the facility, am I wrong?

Excuse my poor English, I'm from Argentina. Pleased to meet you all.

ReaverofCupcakes
6th Apr 2011, 14:53
Sorry, I'm not sure this question belongs here, if not, please, move it to the proper section or thread.

I always wondered...
Why are all the inmates in the Eternal Prison women? Well, except by the man Magnus tries to chase. I must assume men are isolated in a separate area into the facility, am I wrong?

Excuse my poor English, I'm from Argentina. Pleased to meet you all.

Welcome to the forums synesthetize!

That's an interesting question you bring up. But honestly, I'm not sure there was any definitive answer for that in either the games or any Q & A's I've read. It might have been some cost effective thing by making all the prisoners you meet in the Eternal Prison women instead of men. Then again, there might have been a few men on those tables you bring down stuff on. Although a more likely possibility, and a somewhat more disturbing one, is that on the walls of a large quantity of rooms in the EP are human torsos strung up by hooks. Male human torsos. So maybe that's where they all went. :eek:

Bazielim
6th Apr 2011, 17:05
Generally the reason would not be plot-related, it would be memory - it takes up much less if you just have one character model and copy it a lot - that's why a lot of minor videogame NPC character models, are the same (selfless promotion - but I have a whole load of articles about BO2 NPC's - here's the category page (http://legacyofkain.wikia.com/wiki/NPC)).

Eyeless Wretches (that's what the Eternal Prison NPC's are called) seem to be a female-dominated NPC class. There are some Male Eyeless Wretches around, but most seen in the level are severely mutilated torsos. The only other one is featured is in a cutscene with Magnus and Prison Guardians; he's not 'eyeless' like the rest and his character model is used only once in the entire game (which seems like a bit of a memory waste to me - Plus he looks far too much like John McCain:lol:)