PDA

View Full Version : Space Combat/Mass Effect 1&2/GTAIV Discussion.

Romeo
8th Sep 2010, 01:01
Yeah. That just happened.

Continue your discussions here. And don't worry about going off-topic. We wont bat an eye, just keep it classy.

Pinky_Powers
8th Sep 2010, 01:41
Getting a blow job in GTAIV is wonderful.

Is that classy enough for ya? :D

hem dazon 90
8th Sep 2010, 01:46
GTA IV is one of my favorite games of all time and a shining example of how video games can be art.

that classy?

TrickyVein
8th Sep 2010, 02:00
Gosh, I am sated. What a wonderful meal that was...with cookies and espresso to boot!

RandomJunkie
8th Sep 2010, 02:55
I don't even know where to start.

Romeo
8th Sep 2010, 02:59
LOL

Oh boys... Just talk about whatever it is you were before! =P

lithos
8th Sep 2010, 03:05
Here we go:

ME1: Great RPG-lite.

ME2: Baffling changes from ME1. Suffers from a few Invisible War Syndrome symptoms.

GTAIV: Terrible.

hem dazon 90
8th Sep 2010, 03:33
GTAIV: Terrible.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l2opwhkQqp1qbcwh0.jpg

pringlepower
8th Sep 2010, 03:45
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l2opwhkQqp1qbcwh0.jpg

You've got too many of those.

hem dazon 90
8th Sep 2010, 04:00
You've got too many of those.

http://lolthulhu.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/internet-o_rlyeh.jpg

;)

Badmaker
8th Sep 2010, 08:59
Fun factor in GTA IV is way more than in any game i played.

II J0SePh X II
8th Sep 2010, 14:36
Any body else play ME2's Lair of the Shadowbroker?

I mean it's good, but it's not 800ms points good, certainly not half the value of Ballad of Gay Tony or Lost and Damned.

RandomJunkie
8th Sep 2010, 16:44
I want to download it and be disapointed as usual :(

Cronstintein
8th Sep 2010, 17:41
I was already soured by the hammerfall DLC. Even though it was free it was just awful.

Kodaemon
8th Sep 2010, 18:04
Fun factor in GTA IV is way more than in any game i played.

New to this gaming thing?

Pretentious Old Man.
8th Sep 2010, 18:04
I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that Mass Effect is to RPGs what CoD is to FPSes. And no, I don't mean that in a good way.

Although what Bio are doing to Dragon Age 2 just makes me weep.

mad825
8th Sep 2010, 18:20
I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that Mass Effect is to RPGs what CoD is to FPSes. And no, I don't mean that in a good way.

Although what Bio are doing to Dragon Age 2 just makes me weep.

I'm hoping (inflicting with pessimism) that Bioware learns from the data mining that they have been doing in ME2 and they will change all that in ME3.

Pretentious Old Man.
8th Sep 2010, 18:51
I'm hoping (inflicting with pessimism) that Bioware learns from the data mining that they have been doing in ME2 and they will change all that in ME3.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/10/sept/massed.jpg

I hope to God they forget all about it...

Cronstintein
8th Sep 2010, 18:52
Uh oh, wha'd I miss? What's happening to DA2?

EDIT FOR NINJA: I have a hard time with that soldier stat... who's playing a soldier and for gods' sakes why?!

luminar
8th Sep 2010, 18:54
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/10/sept/massed.jpg

I hope to God they forget all about it...

Is this a positive or a negative?

Pretentious Old Man.
8th Sep 2010, 19:00
Is this a positive or a negative?

How do you feel about it?

Pretentious Old Man.
8th Sep 2010, 19:02

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1108058p1.html

I'm not sure how much info this article gives, I just picked a random one that probably has some good info in it.

Basically: Know what GPG did to Supreme Commander 2?

That.

Blackbird SR-71C
8th Sep 2010, 19:12
http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1108058p1.html

I'm not sure how much info this article gives, I just picked a random one that probably has some good info in it.

Basically: Know what GPG did to Supreme Commander 2?

That.

I agree with most of what you already said in other threads.

I woder if DX:HR will be one of the last more complex games we know - that is, if it will be as good as Deus Ex. But getting mad/angry about it won't help, and the costumers certainly won't raise in intelligence all of a sudden. Would YOU rather make a good game by our standarts and set on a small community, or make your game as dumb as possible with much action and explosions and set on a large community that'll more then probably grow in the future?

EDIT: I'm really not suprised by the Mass Effect 2 data. Okay, here's the deal: The game is laid out for cover-based shooting. So, would you rather play a Soldier who can use every weapon and special ammo types which all contribute to the gameplay, or an Engineer who can cast Powers which, while useful, don't make the game any fun since you're the only one casting them (including squadmates, that is) and you also still have to rely on your weapons most of the time only you don't have the good weapons, special ammo or time-slowing damage-amplyfying game-breaking power! Don't forget that all your powers don't work through defenses (which is never explained as they did in Mass Effect 1) which makes them further useless compard to simply shooting. It's like being a Medic accompanied by two random classes that do half the damage and miss most of the time pittet against a team of enemy heaves, soldiers and pyros in Team Fortress 2! It's far harder and far less fun then all the other classes.

luminar
8th Sep 2010, 19:13
How do you feel about it?

Well its mixed for me. The engineer is the one I chose for my first playthrough. The soldier being the most played class really say's alot which is to say that mostly mindless shooter fans played the game. 50% quit halfwaythrough! Either they were add or the game wasnt that good. 50% imported their saves says most didnt like the first game but heard about the gears of war cover system and the "enhanced" shooting and decided to jump onboard. So I guess for the most parts its a meh. But definetly some mindbottling things in there.

Rindill the Red
8th Sep 2010, 19:13
EDIT FOR NINJA: I have a hard time with that soldier stat... who's playing a soldier and for gods' sakes why?!

I've played through Mass Effect 1 and 2 about 4 times and I've never played a soldier. Played an engineer twice, an infiltrator once, and the fourth I was a biotic.

The engineer for Mass Effect 2 was less satisfying than in Mass Effect 1, in which I would basically only use a pistol and super super good shields.

Mass Effect 2 became more like Call of Duty... linear levels, basic cover-shooter, and plenty of "cinematic action": fail.

What I can see becoming the most widely popular game is a combination of Mass Effect 2 and Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2. Modern Warfare 2 lends bland linear gameplay with "streamlined" shooter qualities, "cinematic" scripted events, and online multiplayer, while Mass Effect lends sex, character development (only alone soldier lines), and dialog to flesh out the experience.

Cronstintein
8th Sep 2010, 19:22
I think you're sitting on a goldmine, Red!
I especially like the use of "streamlined" and "cinematic" :D

Blackbird SR-71C
8th Sep 2010, 19:27
I've played through Mass Effect 1 and 2 about 4 times and I've never played a soldier. Played an engineer twice, an infiltrator once, and the fourth I was a biotic.

The engineer for Mass Effect 2 was less satisfying than in Mass Effect 1, in which I would basically only use a pistol and super super good shields.

Mass Effect 2 became more like Call of Duty... linear levels and plenty of "cinematic action": fail.

What I can see becoming the most widely popular game is a combination of Mass Effect 2 and Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2. Modern Warfare 2 lends bland linear gameplay with "streamlined" shooter qualities, "cinematic" scripted events, and online multiplayer, while Mass Effect lends sex, character development (only alone soldier lines), and dialog to flesh out the experience.

I can already see it comming: Mass Effect: Futuristic Warfare! Now including online multiplayer with many shiny unlocks which are unlocked the fastest by being the biggest d*ck, camping and other fun tactics which p*ss off players trying to just have fun! Just slap on a thermal scope on your Mantis sniper rifle and abuse the he*l out of the auto-aim! Don't forget: Never contribute to your team in team-based moes - you won't get to prestige 10 that way anytime soon!

luminar
8th Sep 2010, 19:36

Mass Effect 2 became more like Call of Duty... linear levels, basic cover-shooter, and plenty of "cinematic action": fail.

Dont give em ideas! Jeez. Alas this is correct.

Pinky_Powers
8th Sep 2010, 22:30
I just spent no less than five hours in Mass Effect 2 today. It's still a great game despite the areas it's been simplified.

Within the first two days of the game's release I did write up a long, well-spoken diatribe against all it's flaws, and posted it on the BioWare forums. So HOPEFULLY my voice, and the others who complained, will be heard, and ME3 will return to a more RPG nature.

pringlepower
8th Sep 2010, 23:00

I played vanguard in ME and adept in soldier in ME2. I couldn't stand to play soldier in ME1 because the core shooting mechanics just sucked, and I had to add biotics to mix things up. In ME2 the shooting was actually good enough to stand on its own. More people played soldier in ME2 because it was simply more fun to play.

Now you can look at this as Bioware dumbing down ME for the shooter crowd and for mass appeal, and I'm not going to change your minds if you do, but for whatever reason they improved an aspect of that game just didn't work very well.

And Mass Effect 1 totally wasn't linear! Just the quest worlds which were... well linear. And then the sidequest worlds, which while technically varied were the same things over and over with a little change in elevation and georgaphic bumps, and not that it mattered since the Mako could climb 89 degree slopes. And then there was the copy-paste of the same warehouse over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

And over.

JackShandy
9th Sep 2010, 02:13
Mass Effect 2 was Gears of War with multiple classes and a dialogue system.

It was also a really great game.

I like to see it as an extension of the shooter, rather than a simplification of the RPG. If this had come out of Epic, we'd be amazed at the depth they'd added to their shooter. Coming out of Bioware, we're dismayed at the simplification of their RPG- but only because of the context it's coming from. Mass Effect 1 wasn't actually any more complicated (except for the inventory system, which wasn't a plus).

I really hope it influences some people into making some more complex shooters. Call of Duty with multiple endings and such. I do think it's stupid to try and apply that stuff to a hardcore RPG like dragon age, though.

hem dazon 90
9th Sep 2010, 02:21

I like to see it as an extension of the shooter, rather than a simplification of the RPG. If this had come out of Epic, we'd be amazed at the depth they'd added to their shooter. Coming out of Bioware, we're dismayed at the simplification of their RPG- but only because of the context it's coming from. Mass Effect 1 wasn't actually any more complicated (except for the inventory system, which wasn't a plus).

I really hope it influences some people into making some more complex shooters. Call of Duty with multiple endings and such. I do think it's stupid to try and apply that stuff to a hardcore RPG like dragon age, though.

Fingers crossed for "call of duty- altered carbon edition"

It would be win

Pinky_Powers
9th Sep 2010, 02:45

Because it could be played more or less like GoW, does not make it limited or beholden to that gameplay. I play as an Adapt, and my game does not resemble GoW, CoD, or really, any other game I've played... beside the first Mass Effect. The ME series is an Action RPG, and it's a rather unique beast, all put together.

You are very right on the second point though.

---------------
I'm about half-way through the Overlord DLC now, and it's a superb mission. I'm loving it.

luminar
9th Sep 2010, 02:55

Well epic doesnt have complex games at all so of course it would be deeper. Bioware is and should be an rpg developer, by making an extension of the shooter their moving out of their genre. This would be fine (You can't expect a developer to only make one kind of game and not want to experiment.) except their trying to tell us its an rpg, when its not. I'll agree mass effect is a decent shooter with very light rpg elements and good story, characters, lore, art, and dialogue. But thats it, nothing more. It's definetly not the savior some call it. No really somewhere I read it was the most important rpg made in years. (Cringe)

pringlepower
9th Sep 2010, 03:30
Well epic doesnt have complex games at all so of course it would be deeper. Bioware is and should be an rpg developer, by making an extension of the shooter their moving out of their genre. This would be fine (You can't expect a developer to only make one kind of game and not want to experiment.) except their trying to tell us its an rpg, when its not. I'll agree mass effect is a decent shooter with very light rpg elements and good story, characters, lore, art, and dialogue. But thats it, nothing more. It's definetly not the savior some call it. No really somewhere I read it was the most important rpg made in years. (Cringe)

Importantance usually comes with a lot of hatred. FDR was pretty important.

lithos
9th Sep 2010, 03:57
Now you can look at this as Bioware dumbing down ME for the shooter crowd and for mass appeal, and I'm not going to change your minds if you do, but for whatever reason they improved an aspect of that game just didn't work very well.

The combat wasn't interesting enough to make it as a shooter, the RPG elements were too few and far between.

In the end, it was a rather bland effort, overly-choreographed, smallish elements, and with no real gameplay changes from the first level to the last. Some called it some sort of blending of genres; I say those too genres canceled each other out and we were left with an tasteless effort, compared to the original.

What the point of making it a better shooter? There are, at a rough count, seven hundred and forty billion shooters out there at the moment. It would've been great had EA not deleted things like the inventory, or large levels, or the ammo, but no.

ME2 also highlights the problems with cover-based shooters: it turns combat into a girlish slapping match. Duck, shoot, duck, shoot, duck, shoot.

I also want to punch whoever thought that scanning planets was more fun than driving the Mako.

I got to the very last level in Mass Effect 2, and then stopped playing. The ending's pretty much random, despite what EA says.

Rindill the Red
9th Sep 2010, 04:18
The combat wasn't interesting enough to make it as a shooter, the RPG elements were too few and far between.

In the end, it was a rather bland effort, overly-choreographed, smallish elements, and with no real gameplay changes from the first level to the last. Some called it some sort of blending of genres; I say those too genres canceled each other out and we were left with an tasteless effort, compared to the original.

What the point of making it a better shooter? There are, at a rough count, seven hundred and forty billion shooters out there at the moment. It would've been great had EA not deleted things like the inventory, or large levels, or the ammo, but no.

ME2 also highlights the problems with cover-based shooters: it turns combat into a girlish slapping match. Duck, shoot, duck, shoot, duck, shoot.

I also want to punch whoever thought that scanning planets was more fun than driving the Mako.

I got to the very last level in Mass Effect 2, and then stopped playing. The ending's pretty much random, despite what EA says.

There is a lot wrong with what you say.

Cover-based shooting is not a girlish slapping match, non-cover based shooting is... ever played Halo?

Cover-based shooting is more realistic in some respects, as without armor you will get killed VERY quickly in a gunfight standing out in the open.

Cover-based shooting allows better tactics, as you can flank using cover, or you can supress enemies behind cover, or you can force enemies out of cover using grenades.

People want different things. People who love shooters want all their games to be shooters. Perhaps instead of trying to convince a developer to make a non-shooter franchise into a shooter-franchise, they should just play their shooters.

The man who came up with scanning planets vs. the mako actually visited this forum once:

Oh and the planet mining mini-game that everone hated. I'm sorry, i did that. I thought that 3 years they would improve upon the model I described instead they so lazily and thoroughly built it. Ver frakking batim.

The ending of ME2 is definitely NOT random, if anything it's too pre-logical.

lithos
9th Sep 2010, 04:26
There is a lot wrong with what you say.

Cover-based shooting is not a girlish slapping match, non-cover based shooting is... ever played Halo?

No. I'm insulted you think I would. You're wrong on that count.

Cover-based shooting is more realistic in some respects, as without armor you will get killed VERY quickly in a gunfight standing out in the open.

We'll forget we're talking about a game that involves psychic smurfs, but whatever (why can't they just AM/FM up some better armour?) And who's talking about standing? I'm talking about maneuvering. It was too easy to get pinned down in ME2.

Cover-based shooting allows better tactics, as you can flank using cover, or you can supress enemies behind cover, or you can force enemies out of cover using grenades.

Yeah. All of which are impossible to do in games without cover systems.

People want different things. People who love shooters want all their games to be shooters. Perhaps instead of trying to convince a developer to make a non-shooter franchise into a shooter-franchise, they should just play their shooters.

I'm sorry, where did I say I only wanted a shooter, and which sort of game was ME2?

pringlepower
9th Sep 2010, 04:31
The ending of ME2 is definitely NOT random, if anything it's too pre-logical.

Yeah the only really surprising thing was the death of your crew (if you're the kind of person who cares about the crew) if you do some missions after Collectors raid your ship.

lithos
9th Sep 2010, 04:46
That's what I meant. The game keeps telling you to keep the crew alive, but the mechanisms which allow you to do so are pretty much hidden. I replayed about ten hours of the game just to do that (so I was prepared to go straight to the Omega relay after I got raided,) and still random crew members kept dying.

So I just stopped playing on the last level. Haven't touched it since.

pringlepower
9th Sep 2010, 05:01
That's what I meant. The game keeps telling you to keep the crew alive, but the mechanisms which allow you to do so are pretty much hidden. I replayed about ten hours of the game just to do that (so I was prepared to go straight to the Omega relay after I got raided,) and still random crew members kept dying.

So I just stopped playing on the last level. Haven't touched it since.

It's not really that random. There are constant hints and suggestions along the way, for example after the Collector raid every remaining character explicitly tells you it would be the best decision to pursue the Collectors immediately. Likewise the only character I've had die in the suicide misison, regardless of upgrades was Mordin, which is perfectly explanable. Mordin says several times in the plot that he isn't a good front-line fighter, and that he could never "hold the line".

JackShandy
9th Sep 2010, 05:30
Maybe our opinions differ, lithos, but I had great fun with Mass Effect 2 as a shooter.

Mass Effect one was alright, but the shooting was ****ty and the RPG elements no better. I can remember landing on the colonist planet, getting quests from the colonists and being excited about the opportunity to get into the ol' exploring, side-questing routine. Then, it turned out that the stuff you need for every side-quest was laid along the path to the main quest. Mass Effect 1 was a bit half-arsed, trying to do the KOTOR thing without as much depth. Then the actual side-qeusts were just cookie-cutters that I could never be bothered with.

I thought embracing it's linear nature was a fantastic thing for mass effect to do. It stopped trying to be this gross half-RPG featus-thing and became a lot more confident as a smart shooter.

It's really stupid to try and do the same thing to Dragon Age, though. Dragon age was super confident in it's RPGness. No idea why they want to make it like mass effect.

JCpies
9th Sep 2010, 05:47
GTA IV is one of my favorite games of all time and a shining example of how video games can be art.

that classy?

Yeah, GTA is art, you get to run people over until they die, kill loads of innocents and police staff, deal drugs drive around and smash up good looking cars. The perfect definition of art.

pringlepower
9th Sep 2010, 05:49
Maybe our opinions differ, lithos, but I had great fun with Mass Effect 2 as a shooter.

Mass Effect one was alright, but the shooting was ****ty and the RPG elements no better. I can remember landing on the colonist planet, getting quests from the colonists and being excited about the opportunity to get into the ol' exploring, side-questing routine. Then, it turned out that the stuff you need for every side-quest was laid along the path to the main quest. Mass Effect 1 was a bit half-arsed, trying to do the KOTOR thing without as much depth. Then the actual side-qeusts were just cookie-cutters that I could never be bothered with.

I thought embracing it's linear nature was a fantastic thing for mass effect to do. It stopped trying to be this gross half-RPG featus-thing and became a lot more confident as a smart shooter.

It's really stupid to try and do the same thing to Dragon Age, though. Dragon age was super confident in it's RPGness. No idea why they want to make it like mass effect.

The only Mass Effectivisation I see in Dragon Age is the conversation system, and the "more reactive" combat, which I don't really understand too well so I can't comment on. But it seems to be the same party old-school RPG gameplay, just with more badassery and "reactivity", which I guess means less casting time? I dunno.

From a storytelling point of view, it makes sense. If the story they want to tell is more character-driven, with the PC as the focus and catalyst of all the major world-shaking events, it makes sense to give him/her a more defined personality, which includes full voicing. It's about Hawke who changed the world, not Generic Warden #6.

II J0SePh X II
9th Sep 2010, 15:45
I'm looking forward to Fallout: New Vegas. Here's the opening sequence *SPOILER*

http://www.gamingeverything.com/2010/9/fallout_new_vegas_opening

Looks like they've put a bit more into the characters that will be inhabiting the Wasteland

Pinky_Powers
9th Sep 2010, 18:07
Looks like they've put a bit more into the characters that will be inhabiting the Wasteland

This is by far the biggest change I want in New Vegas, as it was my biggest gripe with Fallout3.

lithos
9th Sep 2010, 18:30
This is by far the biggest change I want in New Vegas, as it was my biggest gripe with Fallout3.

Amen. Avellone's good at characters. Very good.

I just hope they use NONE of the voice actors that were in Oblivion. Half the time I spent listening to NPCs in FO3, I was wondering "What the hell is a wood elf doing in Fallout?"

I'm looking forward to this. A nice, big, chunky game to sink your teeth into, as opposed to the five-hour hors d'oeuvres that everyone keeps cranking out (for the same price.)

Pretentious Old Man.
9th Sep 2010, 19:53
old-school RPG gameplay.

Say that again about Dragon Age 2 and Tri-optimum will come for you in the night. And I'll laugh hard.

RandomJunkie
9th Sep 2010, 20:42
Fallout New Vegas is my only hope for good gaming this year.

Oh wait Fable 3 too.

pringlepower
9th Sep 2010, 23:00
Say that again about Dragon Age 2 and Tri-optimum will come for you in the night. And I'll laugh hard.

Combat-wise anyways. All the previews have been for consoles, since they were the ones demoed at Gamescon and PAX. The PC version should keep the 4-member party, inventory, tactics, pausing to think, spells, Baldur's Gate style, etc. Still reserving my judgement on that new camera.

Or it might not. Then I'll go after Bioware in the night. And I'll yell hard.

Romeo
10th Sep 2010, 23:10
I have to agree with the gentleman who pointed out that BioWare is an RPG-focused develloper. Just because they wanted to add shooter elements is no excuse to abandon the RPG elements.

sonicsidewinder
10th Sep 2010, 23:59
BioWare is an RPG-focused develloper.

It's just when you compare their present games to what they did in the past, you can't help but stroke your chin...with undue force. (got no chin hairs now)

Pinky_Powers
11th Sep 2010, 01:30
Well, I'm about ready to begin the Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC for Mass Effect 2.

The Overlord mission was most excellent, and Kasumi's thing was wonderfully off-beat for the first half.

Anyone who claims DLC is nothing but content cut from the original game needs to take a look at these later offerings from BioWare. It's true that all publishers do that, including BioWare, but these later expansions are glorious and have clearly taken a lot of time and effort to put together. This is what DLC should be.

:thumb: :thumb:

hem dazon 90
11th Sep 2010, 03:02
Yeah, GTA is art, you get to run people over until they die, kill loads of innocents and police staff, deal drugs drive around and smash up good looking cars. The perfect definition of art.

Well someone clearly never played GTA IV.

Cronstintein
11th Sep 2010, 19:48
Question in the questions thread "are there any unskippable cutscenes?" gave me a shiver. I really hope there isn't a 5 minute long unskippable intro cinematic cutscene like in ME2. The first time was really cool but every other time I was just waiting for it to end :/

Pinky_Powers
11th Sep 2010, 20:15
Question in the questions thread "are there any unskippable cutscenes?" gave me a shiver. I really hope there isn't a 5 minute long unskippable intro cinematic cutscene like in ME2. The first time was really cool but every other time I was just waiting for it to end :/

I hate the unskippable "walkthrough" you have to do every time you start a new game of Arkham Asylum. :(

I agree on cutscenes, too. All cutscenes should at least be skippable. If they're good, I most likely won't skip them, but I greatly desire the choice.

Cronstintein
11th Sep 2010, 20:30
Oh yeah, that intro into AA is really long. I found it a bit much even on the first time through.

Pinky_Powers
11th Sep 2010, 20:37
Which is strange, because I absolutely loved the walkthrough intro in Butcher's Bay. It immediately immersed me into that world; bloody fantastic!

pringlepower
11th Sep 2010, 20:46

It's a great storyline thing though. Just skip it with mods.

Irate_Iguana
11th Sep 2010, 22:01
It's a great storyline thing though. Just skip it with mods.

There are ways to skip it, but you shouldn't have to turn to third part assistance to do something like that. Devs should realize that kind of thing.

Pinky_Powers
12th Sep 2010, 02:57
Just finished Lair of the Shadow Broker. Amazing! And frightfully diverse gameplay and enemies.

It also holds the best quote of the entire series; "remember the good old days when you could just slap Omnigel on it?" I might have paraphrased that, but it's close to the actual quote. :)

My Asari love bird has flown home to me!

I had this dark and tremulous fear that Liara was going to die in this DLC. I spent the whole of ME2 wanting her back, and here she was closer than ever. But I just knew they were going to kill her off by the end. But they didn't! And she came back to my warm embrace, and all was beautiful again... though not as graphic as last time. Which was sad. :(

pringlepower
12th Sep 2010, 04:01
Just finished Lair of the Shadow Broker. Amazing! And frightfully diverse gameplay and enemies.

It also holds the best quote of the entire series; "remember the good old days when you could just slap Omnigel on it?" I might have paraphrased that, but it's close to the actual quote. :)

I had this dark and tremulous fear that Liara was going to die in this DLC. I spent the whole of ME2 wanting her back, and here she was closer than ever. But I just knew they were going to kill her off by the end. But they didn't! And she came back to my warm embrace, and all was beautiful again... though not as graphic as last time. Which was sad. :(

Bioware has a habit of making fun of itself. Good people.

Romeo
12th Sep 2010, 16:51

I must say though, I didn't find it as tragic or as deep as Overlord was. That being said, over-all it's pretty damn good DLC. I also didn't much like that I couldn't keep Liara as a team mate. I also thought the Shadow-broker himself was kinda underwhelming, just being one guy, and not being all that hard to get to.

Pretentious Old Man.
12th Sep 2010, 17:10
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3084/2409894679_5539ac867e.jpg?v=0

Pinky_Powers
12th Sep 2010, 17:12
By diverse enemies I'm taking into account the Specter you have to fight, which was one of the most unique fights in the whole of Mass Effect, and the bizarre nature of the Shadow Broker's fight. Then you through in the car chase, and the lovely stroll along the hull of the ship... it was truly delightful.

I do agree that the Overlord ending was more... something. But by affection for Liara pales other moments in comparison.

Rindill the Red
12th Sep 2010, 17:29
Halo: Reach has space combat...

Pinky_Powers
12th Sep 2010, 17:31
Unfortunately it's also got Halo combat.

Romeo
12th Sep 2010, 19:18
By diverse enemies I'm taking into account the Specter you have to fight, which was one of the most unique fights in the whole of Mass Effect, and the bizarre nature of the Shadow Broker's fight. Then you through in the car chase, and the lovely stroll along the hull of the ship... it was truly delightful.

I do agree that the Overlord ending was more... something. But by affection for Liara pales other moments in comparison.
That was a phenominal fight, I cannot deny the gameplay was extremely fun in it. I just thought it was sort've underwhelming towards the end, that's all.

Halo: Reach has space combat...
I'm seriously hoping it gets it's own mode. I don't know if anyone played Star Wars: Battlefront 2, but they had cruiser vs cruiser matches which were exceptionally fun, I thought.

Unfortunately it's also got Halo combat.
LOL! Amen to that.

Pinky_Powers
12th Sep 2010, 19:45
I just thought it was sort've underwhelming towards the end, that's all.

I can completely understand that.

Of my own perspective, the ending held a whole store of meaning beyond the context of the DLC. As I said, I played through the entire of Mass Effect 2 hoping to properly reunite with Liara. I shunned all the advances from my crew, and more or less saved myself in hope that somewhere down the road... maybe even ME3, we'd be together again.

And so at the end, when Liara came back with me to my cabin, it was a weighty event, and of great meaning to me. Yeah, it's a form of tragedy that she doesn't join my crew and we f**k like bunnies for the rest of the game, but my own ending was one of lovers excepting the reality of their positions and the physical space between them.

But unlike ME2 without this DLC, our relationship is joined in love and continues.

:o

Romeo
12th Sep 2010, 21:45
I can completely understand that.

Of my own perspective, the ending held a whole store of meaning beyond the context of the DLC. As I said, I played through the entire of Mass Effect 2 hoping to properly reunite with Liara. I shunned all the advances from my crew, and more or less saved myself in hope that somewhere down the road... maybe even ME3, we'd be together again.

And so at the end, when Liara came back with me to my cabin, it was a weighty event, and of great meaning to me. Yeah, it's a form of tragedy that she doesn't join my crew and we f**k like bunnies for the rest of the game, but my own ending was one of lovers excepting the reality of their positions and the physical space between them.

But unlike ME2 without this DLC, our relationship is joined in love and continues.

:o
I understand that, Liara held a sweet spot for me in ME as well. That being said, I didn't think she was the same sweet, naive Liara I had fallen for. That being said, the DLC does provide me with some internal conflict, which I love, as I'm torn between patching things up between Liara and I, or doing what I did in my first playthrough and trying my hand with Tali.

I think I must be attracted to the color blue, as I shunned Miranda, Jack and Ashley without a second thought through both games. lol

Pinky_Powers
12th Sep 2010, 21:54
Tali has always been like a younger sister to me. I just want her to be happy and safe. But I don't have any of that old-fashioned lust for her.

And yeah, Liara is different, no doubt about it. She's grown darker and more matured. But I think the heart of the character is still there.

:flowers:

Romeo
12th Sep 2010, 21:56
Tali has always been like a younger sister to me. I just want her to be happy and safe. But I don't have any of that old-fashioned lust for her.

And yeah, Liara is different, no doubt about it. She's grown darker and more matured. But I think the heart of the character is still there.

:flowers:
See, I'm still young, and Tali still acts like a teenager, so I think that helps. This is besides the fact I crave the unknown, which Tali represents almost perfectly.

Pinky_Powers
12th Sep 2010, 22:05
I crave the unknown, which Tali represents almost perfectly.

Quite! Reminds me of the Matriarch barmaid on Illium; "I'm so old I can't even remember what the Quarians's looked like under their suits."

:)

What do they look like? :confused:

pringlepower
12th Sep 2010, 22:14
Quite! Reminds me of the Matriarch barmaid on Illium; "I'm so old I can't even remember what the Quarians's looked like under their suits."

Have you seen the Bioware forums joke thread about what's under Tali's helmet?

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/105/index/931488

Good stuff if you havent.

Romeo
12th Sep 2010, 23:52

Barmaid + Mystery Drink = WIN. lol

luminar
13th Sep 2010, 01:36
See, I'm still young, and Tali still acts like a teenager, so I think that helps. This is besides the fact I crave the unknown, which Tali represents almost perfectly.

I was into tali since the first game. People kept telling me "aw dude the sequel has this and that and woah!" I would say "yeah but can you have a relationship with tali?" I agree with you romeo talis all cute and childlike and I would totally date her if she were real, helmet and all!

Wow I need a girlfriend, bad.

Romeo
13th Sep 2010, 02:31
I was into tali since the first game. People kept telling me "aw dude the sequel has this and that and woah!" I would say "yeah but can you have a relationship with tali?" I agree with you romeo talis all cute and childlike and I would totally date her if she were real, helmet and all!

Wow I need a girlfriend, bad.
You're speaking to an individual who's named after a Shakespearian lover-boy: Don't fret it. lol

Pinky_Powers
13th Sep 2010, 03:02
Barmaid + Mystery Drink = WIN. lol

I had no idea what you were talking about. So I went back to Illium and drank as much of the mystery drink as I could. The only thing I noticed was that the Matriarch got weird-looking with clashing makeup. But there was no new conversations or any passing-out... or anything.

Was the ugly makeup what you were talking about? It was bizarre, but easily missable... like an Easter Egg.

pringlepower
13th Sep 2010, 03:15
I had no idea what you were talking about. So I went back to Illium and drank as much of the mystery drink as I could. The only thing I noticed was that the Matriarch got weird-looking with clashing makeup. But there was no new conversations or any passing-out... or anything.

Was the ugly makeup what you were talking about? It was bizarre, but easily missable... like an Easter Egg.

She was less Krogan-like, AKA prettier... technically.

Romeo
13th Sep 2010, 03:23
She also has a little bit flirtier lines, but yes, the beer-goggles are hilarious. lol

pringlepower
13th Sep 2010, 03:26
She also has a little bit flirtier lines, but yes, the beer-goggles are hilarious. lol

Made her look like a really bad stripper imo. The makeup was all wrong.

The Darkstar drunkenness was much more amusing.

Romeo
13th Sep 2010, 03:41
Made her look like a really bad stripper imo. The makeup was all wrong.

The Darkstar drunkenness was much more amusing.
She did look like a bad stripper. I loved it. =D