PDA

View Full Version : Will the original Deus Ex theme and logo return?

CodenameD
7th Sep 2010, 14:07
Ok, so I do miss the original Deus Ex theme (the memorable theme from the original's main menu) and its unforgettable logo which was reused for Invisible War. Invisible War still used the original theme, though it was altered. But that theme is always catchy and thrills me even today. That theme was my cellphone ringing tone for years. It reminds of 'Deus Ex' and gives me a 'Deus Ex' thrill and feel all over.

http://pjdeca.people.wm.edu/blender/logo_deus_ex_3D_v2.png

Will the theme and the logo return for DE:HR? I can't imagine Deus Ex without them!

Esnuk
7th Sep 2010, 14:53
No one knows anything yet, but we hope so.

Pretentious Old Man.
7th Sep 2010, 16:46
I think that, much as everyone would love that, it's unlikely.

puzl
7th Sep 2010, 16:59
Maybe it'll go the Terminator 3 route and use some semblence of the theme motif in the end credits... or the jingle used subtley in the world, such as on mobile phone ringtones, ATM music, etc..

It'd be a crime not to use it in someway, but I get the impression they're wanting to make this game and the universe their own. Time will tell!

Lady_Of_The_Vine
7th Sep 2010, 17:06
I think that, much as everyone would love that, it's unlikely.

I would be surprised if there isn't at least a nod to it. Perhaps Adam will have a DX1 logo poster on his apartment wall, or a copy of the game on his shelf.

Pretentious Old Man.
7th Sep 2010, 17:29
I would be surprised if there isn't at least a nod to it. Perhaps Adam will have a DX1 logo poster on his apartment wall, or a copy of the game on his shelf.

I consider that perfunctory appeasing of the fanbase. Plus, if they do do that, there'll be an immersion issue. Remember, we're supposed to BE Adam Jensen, not playing a Deus Ex game.

I would love more in-game references, though, like that billboard in the Hong Kong video that had "VERSALIFE" written in huge letters. That made my jaw hit the floor.

ThePrecursor
7th Sep 2010, 17:30
Apparently I'm the only one here who thinks the original DX logo is just plain ugly and overall bad logo design.

St. Mellow
7th Sep 2010, 17:41
Apparently I'm the only one here who thinks the original DX logo is just plain ugly and overall bad logo design.

http://captionsearch.com/pix/t1gb4klq3.jpg

JCpies
7th Sep 2010, 18:33
;1489640']http://captionsearch.com/pix/t1gb4klq3.jpg

Trust me, the Deus Ex logo can't be worse than your avatar.

St. Mellow
7th Sep 2010, 18:48
Trust me, the Deus Ex logo can't be worse than your avatar.

My point stands. Also, thanks for the fnord constructive criticism.

JCpies
7th Sep 2010, 18:51
;1489678']My point stands. Also, thanks for the fnord constructive criticism.

No problem.

luminar
7th Sep 2010, 18:54
Put it in the damn game or their will be blood!

Pretentious Old Man.
7th Sep 2010, 19:07
...and it shall be the blood of grown-ups!

luminar
7th Sep 2010, 19:36
I don't know if you can call dugas a grown up.

Pinky_Powers
7th Sep 2010, 20:37

It's a design that is easily recognizable and makes me want to play the game after seeing it. Thus it cannot be bad logo design if it succeeds in that principle purpose.

ThePrecursor
7th Sep 2010, 20:41
It's a design that is easily recognizable and makes me want to play the game after seeing it. Thus it cannot be bad logo design if it succeeds in that principle purpose.

It just doesn't do it for me.

@ [tag]: Since when has stating an opinion become such a controversy?

TrickyVein
7th Sep 2010, 20:48
While it's true that opinions are like Bungholes, and everybody's got one, some are certainly more gross and hairy than others.

See?

Pinky_Powers
7th Sep 2010, 20:49
@ [tag]: Since when has stating an opinion become such a controversy?

Are you kidding? Have you not been around long enough to know that all opinions are a controversy here?

AJacobson
8th Sep 2010, 01:46
I consider that perfunctory appeasing of the fanbase. Plus, if they do do that, there'll be an immersion issue. Remember, we're supposed to BE Adam Jensen, not playing a Deus Ex game.

I would love more in-game references, though, like that billboard in the Hong Kong video that had "VERSALIFE" written in huge letters. That made my jaw hit the floor.

Wait, we actually play as Adam Jenson? I thought we just controlled a miniature, invisible, floating camera around Jenson. This is good news.

That Versalife billboard was pretty cool though. The more easter eggs referencing DX the better, gives the diehard fans something to look for, and gives homage to the game who's coattails you're riding on. :P (perhaps that was a little hostile, no offense Eidos <3)

CodenameD
8th Sep 2010, 02:04
Well if this game doesnt have the trademark logo and the cachy theme, then this is ISNT Deus Ex! this game doesnt FEEL LIKE Deus Ex! This game is just CALLED Deus Ex!

I am pretty worried now they will replace the logo with a gold delta.

TrickyVein
8th Sep 2010, 02:06
That's pretty lame-brained, what you said just right there.

CodenameD
8th Sep 2010, 02:24
That's pretty lame-brained, what you said just right there.

I want a link to the original games. By any story driven event or whatever!
If this is a game which does not carry the trademark and this is some 'just another' FPS/RPG hybrid and sees no connection or Deus Ex factors, then it's safe to say that the makers are just using the old name of the series to construct a whole new kind of game.

That wont be Deus Ex to me! Sure it may turn out to be a whole new kick ass game with golden shiny graphics but that's not the point of this thread!

Serendip1ty
8th Sep 2010, 02:27
I've mentioned this before but I think at the end of the gameplay trailer (last one) we are actually hearing the beginning of a reworked Deus Ex theme. It starts at 2:05 - 2:15. I just hope there is more & it's not just a snippet they created for the trailer..

CodenameD
8th Sep 2010, 02:31
I've mentioned this before but I think at the end of the gameplay trailer (last one) we are actually hearing the beginning of a reworked Deus Ex theme. It starts at 2:05 - 2:15. I hope there is more & it's not just a snippet they created for the trailer..

You mean the E3 Official trailer or the most recent gameplay one?

I hope so too! It better be somewhere in the game.

It reminds me of the early teaser. At the end of it the music from the original's main menu does play but doesn't go further. (The only part that plays was when it used to show the Eidos and ION Strom Logos.)

Serendip1ty
8th Sep 2010, 02:41
You mean the E3 Official trailer or the most recent gameplay one?

I hope so too! It better be somewhere in the game.

It reminds me of the early teaser. At the end of it the music from the original's main menu does play but doesn't go further. (The only part that plays was when it used to show the Eidos and ION Strom Logos.)

I'll quote myself: "at the end of the gameplay trailer (last one)" ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhNQR0spE_s 2:05 - 2:15

then listen to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yUvMuple5I 0:00 - 0 :15

Let's hope there is actually more to this...

CodenameD
8th Sep 2010, 03:04

then listen to

I hear it! Its very little though... doesnt last long enough! :(

One of the few reasons I liked Invisible War was because there was a lot of music brought back. (Like visiting JC's mind) It sort of excited me.

But now... this new team are gonna be just making their 'own' version of Deus Ex if they wont be bringing the excellent theme back!

hem dazon 90
8th Sep 2010, 04:08
are you kidding? Have you not been around long enough to know that all opinions are a controversy here?

how dare you disagree with my opinion that only 98% of the opinions here are flamebait!

rokstrombo
8th Sep 2010, 06:03
I think the original logo is awesome, but may not necessarily be relevant to the story of the third game. I think the original logo is intended to depict a "D" and "E" surrounding a much smaller globe, representing the global scale of the grandiose political conspiracies featured in the game. In terms of plot, the consequences of advancements in biotechnology in Deus Ex (and Invisible War) are presented more on the scale how these technologies could ultimately be leveraged for political power (global scale) rather than how this technology may eventually be used to redefine our species (indefinite scale). The player essentially decides who will rule the world (if anyone).

In Human Revolution, the game is supposedly set before most people could forsee the global issues depicted in Deus Ex. The story is apparently more concerned with the evolutionary path that our species may take with the availability of new technologies, and how our lack of foresight at a social level may eventually lead to the Deus Ex dystopia. The scope of these themes are indefinite, as the extent and consequences of our attempts to improve ourselves are not yet known. I think it would be inappopriate to use a logo featuring a representation of the globe, as this implies knowledge of a future which the player character will be inherently and symbolically unable to foresee, and imposes an unjustifiable scale to themes featured in the game.

I think the delta symbol and sacred geometry motif fits the themes of transhuman and technological prosperity perfectly, and I have no problem with the absence of the Deus Ex logo from Human Revolution.

lithos
8th Sep 2010, 06:23
I think we'll get stylised versions of both.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
8th Sep 2010, 08:18
I think the delta symbol and sacred geometry motif fits the themes of transhuman and technological prosperity perfectly, and I have no problem with the absence of the Deus Ex logo from Human Revolution.

I'm with you on this one.

CodenameD
8th Sep 2010, 11:24
I think the original logo is awesome, but may not necessarily be relevant to the story of the third game. I think the original logo is intended to depict a "D" and "E" surrounding a much smaller globe, representing the global scale of the grandiose political conspiracies featured in the game. In terms of plot, the consequences of advancements in biotechnology in Deus Ex (and Invisible War) are presented more on the scale how these technologies could ultimately be leveraged for political power (global scale) rather than how this technology may eventually be used to redefine our species (indefinite scale). The player essentially decides who will rule the world (if anyone).

In Human Revolution, the game is supposedly set before most people could forsee the global issues depicted in Deus Ex. The story is apparently more concerned with the evolutionary path that our species may take with the availability of new technologies, and how our lack of foresight at a social level may eventually lead to the Deus Ex dystopia. The scope of these themes are indefinite, as the extent and consequences of our attempts to improve ourselves are not yet known. I think it would be inappopriate to use a logo featuring a representation of the globe, as this implies knowledge of a future which the player character will be inherently and symbolically unable to foresee, and imposes an unjustifiable scale to themes featured in the game.

While that explains the logo, how about the theme music from the original Deus Ex? I don't see why they would have to replace that if they do!

Pinky_Powers
8th Sep 2010, 12:12
While that explains the logo, how about the theme music from the original Deus Ex? I don't see why they would have to replace that if they do!

The theme music only represented J.C. Denton's inner struggle to live up to the demands of his shades and tenchcoat. It was a circular weakening and encouragement that honed him to greatness.

CodenameD
8th Sep 2010, 13:15
They theme music only represented J.C. Denton's inner struggle to live up to the demands of his shades and tenchcoat. It was a circular weakening and encouragement that honed him to greatness.

The remixed the same theme for Invisible War, where JC Denton WASNT the main guy!
I call that 'The Deus Ex theme' not the 'JC's theme'!

xsamitt
8th Sep 2010, 13:52
Ok, so I do miss the original Deus Ex theme (the memorable theme from the original's main menu) and its unforgettable logo which was reused for Invisible War. Invisible War still used the original theme, though it was altered. But that theme is always catchy and thrills me even today. That theme was my cellphone ringing tone for years. It reminds of 'Deus Ex' and gives me a 'Deus Ex' thrill and feel all over.

http://pjdeca.people.wm.edu/blender/logo_deus_ex_3D_v2.png

Will the theme and the logo return for DE:HR? I can't imagine Deus Ex without them!

EM .........You need the symbol on the BOX,and in the Game start up.And the music as well from DX1 or a version of it.
I can't stress how important this is.

mitch82cc
9th Sep 2010, 00:34
Wait, we actually play as Adam Jenson? I thought we just controlled a miniature, invisible, floating camera around Jenson. This is good news.

Now that's funny.

Angel-A
9th Sep 2010, 03:47
Dropping the logo=intense failure. That's a bad desicion akin to uni-ammo, an "improvement" one step forward and three steps back...
The continuity of a logo in any series helps to generally bind it all together; it wouldn't be Deus Ex if it didn't have the logo we all know and love. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: make a cross between the "DX" logo and the new designs, it's a fresh take but still all Deus Ex.
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n202/Starsiege_/supercool.png Original logo FTW.

Yes, yes you are.
That's a bad thing to say and you should feel bad.

I think the original logo is intended to depict a "D" and "E" ...
It's a "D" and an "X". ;)

TrickyVein
9th Sep 2010, 03:54
Anyone can see the D and X as plain as they could a wart on a well-diggers arse, but what about the sphere at center? What's it for?

Deus DOT Ex. It's not a dot product; it's not the dot of an "I" since there are none in the title; it does provide a nice "point" around which the separate D and X rotate (as they do within the title screen). Might it represent the planet itself and relate - consequently - to global communications (and Area 51)?

pringlepower
9th Sep 2010, 04:12
Anyone can see the D and X as plain as they could a wart on a well-diggers arse, but what about the sphere at center? What's it for?

Deus DOT Ex. It's not a dot product; it's not the dot of an "I" since there are none in the title; it does provide a nice "point" around which the separate D and X rotate (as they do within the title screen). Might it represent the planet itself and relate - consequently - to global communications (and Area 51)?

Or maybe not everything in Deus Ex is the work of artistic/creative geniuses and the dot it there just because it looks cool.

Serendip1ty
9th Sep 2010, 04:22

I always thought it simply represented a focal point of energy... since DX is all about cyberpunk. (= just for the sake of design)

St. Mellow
9th Sep 2010, 17:59
I always saw it as a "D" and an "E", the dot being the central "arm" of the "E". But now I see the "X" as well. So, "DEX"? Also:

I always thought it simply represented a focal point of energy... since DX is all about cyberpunk. (= just for the sake of design)

Rule of cool.

PenguinsFriend
9th Sep 2010, 18:09

I always thought that the globe was both representative of the scale of the conspiracy and the short leg of the E. And don't they use machines to dig wells? :rasp:

Angel-A
9th Sep 2010, 22:50
:whistle: Judging by how they did the reduxed logo for "The Conspiracy", I'm fairly certain it was meant to be a stylized "DX", not "DE".
http://www.deusex-machina.com/dxps2/PS2title.jpg

AaronJ
11th Sep 2010, 21:30

then listen to

Excellent find. I like you.

If that little sample is any indication of how the full track is going to sound, it's beautiful.

Dead-Eye
11th Sep 2010, 23:42
I read an interview awhile ago with one of the composers for DX3. I think he said something along the lines of if he didn't bring back the theme from Deus Ex the fans would probably get mad so he's keeping that in mind. At this point I think we can say that the music will be on par with the original.

Also don't ask me to source because it's posted somewhere around here already and I am far to lazy to find it.

Pretentious Old Man.
12th Sep 2010, 09:17
I read an interview awhile ago with one of the composers for DX3. I think he said something along the lines of if he didn't bring back the theme from Deus Ex the fans would probably get mad so he's keeping that in mind. At this point I think we can say that the music will be on par with the original.

Also don't ask me to source because it's posted somewhere around here already and I am far to lazy to find it.

Correction, he said he'd like to, but not everyone on the team agreed, so it was more of a case of who got the upper hand in the debate.

Ilves
12th Sep 2010, 09:29
^
Straight out of the mouth (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=109973) of sound director Szczepkowski:

[...] We’ll also incorporate the title song. I don’t know where exactly! (laughs) But I think I would disappoint the fans of the previous game if I could not find a place to put it. [...]

:)

CodenameD
13th Sep 2010, 03:39
^
Straight out of the mouth (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=109973) of sound director Szczepkowski:

:)

So hopefully they just might add the old theme.
I still doubt the logo.

pringlepower
13th Sep 2010, 04:21
So hopefully they just might add the old theme.
I still doubt the logo.

The old theme will come up in the game music (as seen at the end of the gameplay trailer). But it won't be there as a separate song. Also characters may whistle or hum it for funsies.

jtr7
13th Sep 2010, 04:45
As a prequel, the ending(s) could include the logo or any of the concepts that DX1 begins with, though more rudimentary for some things, called up with a thematic cue.

InGroove2
13th Sep 2010, 20:02

then listen to

i'll quote myself as well:

i was going to suggest that at that moment, that low synth sound is harkening back to the opening synth on the OG DX theme.... not the theme itself... but that opening low synth that lays out one note... then drops a 4th (i think its a 4th, cant hear it well on my work comp.)\

EDIT:
yeah, it's a 4th. which i think is the same as the DX theme... i will also add that the buildup following those notes reflects a similar build up to where the theme in DX actually pops in...

maybe it's wishful thinking...

EDIT: upon more investigation... the OG DX theme does start with that same interval in a low synth followed by a build up... AND at roughly the same tempo and in a minor key.

maybe it's conspiratorial thinking... (from here: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=112421&page=3)

i'm with you on this one.

Lady_Of_The_Vine
13th Sep 2010, 20:26
^
OMG, yeah. I can see how the original theme could kick in there! :thumb: